PDA

View Full Version : Do you want Hasbro to make more playsets for the action figures?

Tycho
01-06-2003, 04:55 PM
Hasbro's Playsets for action figures since 1995:

Mos Eisley Cardboard Cantina
Wal*Mart's Deluxe Cantina Creature Sets
Death Star Detention Cell Rescue
Death Star Escape (bridge swing to freedom)
Death Star Trash compactor Saga Screen-Scenes
Luke Bacta Tank, really a Deluxe Figure
Hoth Generator, trench, and Turret
Cloud City Carbon Freezing Chamber
Jabba the Hutt's Carboard Palace
Endor Shield Bunker door
Trade Federation Ship / R2 carry-case
Theed Hanger Playset
Theed Palace Reactor Control
Geonosis Execution Arena Playset

...and perhaps I forgot some. I didn't count things that were big but still could be picked up for flying.

So do you want more?

Of the same type?

Of the same quality?

Maybe more like (this one) and not like (that one)?

Which new kinds of playsets would you like?

What did you buy from what was offered? What did you do with it? (store it, set it up with figures? Use it to keep warm with during winter?)

What didn't you buy? Why not? Would purchasing those, watching paint peel, or buying lottery tickets be more worth your time? Why?

Let's have another SirStevesGuide fans' roundtable - on the Hasbro playsets!

Beast
01-06-2003, 05:03 PM
Well, we have the rumored Emperor's Throne Room playset on the lists for next year. Hope it happens, and is about the same size and pricerange as the Arena Playset.

I went with the large playset opinion, but I would like to see large playsets, with smaller playsets that could be added on. They could do somthing like Jargo planned out in the Dear Hasbro section for the Jedi Temple.

They could do others that way, with one big main section and smaller cheaper sections that add on. Would be easy for environments like the Cantina, Death Star, Cloud City, Jabba's Palace, Death Star II Throne Room, etc. It would be a pretty cool idea. And each peice could come with an exclusive figure.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rogue II
01-06-2003, 05:04 PM
I wouldn't spend more than $30 on a playset. Keep them small.

There are several threads in the Dear Hasbro section about playsets. We've discussed Jabba's Palace, the rest of Mos Eisley Cantina, the Death Star, Bespin, and Star Destroyer playsets in various threads.

Hellboy
01-06-2003, 05:21 PM
I enjoy the playsets when they're done right. Making them bigger is a step in the right direction but I would like them to be a bit more film accurate. I know this isn't always possible but sometimes it's the little things that matter, such as having bar stools with the Cantina packs when there where none in the film or putting a gun turret in an area that shouldn't have one just for the sake of playability like the Carbon Freezing Chamber. If I'm to spend more of my hard earned $ (which I am willing to do) on bigger playsets these sort of things have to be addressed for me to be happy.

JediBoulton
01-06-2003, 05:23 PM
Iwould buy a new large Death Star Playset if they decided to come out with one. The Arena has made a great attempt at doing this. The Death Star IMO is still the greatest playset EVER!
Of Course if we could add smaller sets to this one (a PRIMARY SET) then this would be even better! When I was a child -- cardboard boxes could do many things. My Imagination could go wild -- but I would rather someone else's imagination work overtime so I could enjoy the benifit now. I am getting old and I do not have as much time to build playsets.

I am still looking forward to a new "Death Star"

Rogue II
01-06-2003, 05:27 PM
I dug up some of the links to the threads:

death star playset (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7606)

Jedi temple playset modules (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16491)

New DeathStar Gunner PLEASE!!! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14008) - turns into a discussion of making the Death Star Gunner into more of a deluxe figure like Bacta Tank Luke.

Star Destroyer!! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=549)

Screen scenes (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14840)

Finish the Cantina Packs With a Bang! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14996)

Random ideas and thoughts on playsets (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14432)

More Playsets Please :) (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14255)

Cloud city playset (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14099)

Millennium Falcon Lounge (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10300)

New playsets, and don't skimp on the doors! (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=510)

Dagobah (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9429)

Tycho
01-06-2003, 05:40 PM
I've always liked the way Kenner did the Micro-Collection Playsets that I'd attached to this thread (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=210295) , and with some refinement, I'd like them made for the 3 3/4" figures.

I voted for the small, but interacting (attaching) playsets, myself.

I had things like these old playsets for our 3 3/4" figures in mind.

Referring to the picture, the Death Star is the best one! It is near perfect. However, there needs to be more: a landing bay border for the Falcon on the outside of the blast doors (bottom next to the trash compactor). The compactor itself should be designed to perfectly house the latest Walmart Saga Screen-Scene sets. The spaces between the halls and the elevator tube needs to be larger, for a better rope swing - and in fact, I'd make an extra hallway piece, so you could make that larger, and push the turbolift back. Finally, the thing should be connectable so you can make at least a 2 dimensional, circular Death Star with multiple sets. Oh - and these pieces are too big for individual sales. I think that when Hasbro did the Detention Cell rescue, they might've been going for sets that come together like this. They should go that route. Maybe add an army builder with each pack - just nothing valuable or exclusive (generic officers, stormtroopers, Death Star Troopers, etc.)

The Emperor's Throne Room should also attach, as maybe could trench sections, with turret towers with Death Star Gunners. Oh - and imagine how many Mouse Droids you could put in your biggest dream playset?!

Last but not least, the smaller sections could be bought and kept in continuous stock at retailers. At some point, older sets could be available from those retailers online, or online through the Fan Club. I myself would buy 1 of each section and see how it's looking, and then would later start to buy duplicates to fashion a "whole Death Star" if you will.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cloud City is ten times better than the silly Carbon Freezing Playset they made before. The freezing platform room is so large, it ought to be sold in 4 sections - each with a stormtrooper or Bespin Guard (variations on the ethnicity please) and so forth. A new Han Solo freeze-able, unfreezable should come separately with the centerpiece claws and "freezing mechanism" done similarly to how they did the 2001 playset (that part was good - it was the small size that sucked). A landing platform set, large enough for the Falcon would be a nice touch (obviously if you could connect more than one, Slave-One could fit).

I totally do not like the Micro-Collection's break-away control room window. That is such a cool feature to be wasted on a gantry - as I would not call that section a ROOM. The 'room aspect' of it needs to be redone, and a dining room, guest quarters, prison cell, and torture room, and several elevators should be done. We should have the white Cloud City sections and the grey Port Town underlevel sections - possibly even shoots with a weathervane, and circular edges to the sets to lend itself to a faximily of Cloud City's exterior shape. But this is the way to go. Keep the sections sold small, affordable, with figures everyone wants multiples of, and then let them combine to make something that'll require its own table top.

People please do keep size in mind with your discussions. It's nice if these sections are all $15 - $25 each, and released a few at a time, but when the contstruct is 4 cubic feet in all directions, are you personally going to want it set up? I say yes - and no matter how many sets they do.

Now what about you? OK - the Death Star's your favorite, but have you room for Cloud City if it was as nice, too?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hoth could be more. I don't have a shot of the backside, but I think under the Ion Cannon playset, there's a good Echo Base Control room and even a Bacta Tank / Med-lab if memory serves.
It needs a flight hanger with doors for at least a Snowspeeder (let's not get carried away with the Falcon, now - but it's a thought). The two cannons set is nice, but it needs a trench. I'd almost like that seperate from the cannons, because then you could make the Trench as long as you want, without having an excessive amount of cannons. Each section could come with a Rebel Trooper, Snowtrooper, Astromech repaint, Gonk repaint, even a TaunTaun or the Wampa. I'd build the Echo Base Mountain higher, myself, but I'd find a way to separate that huge Ion Cannon section up, or it'd have to be an extra, larger and more pricier set than the others. But I'd like to see Hoth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd also like Mos Eisley, and the bar fully realized with the existing Cantina sets - but combinable with the rest of the town.

I'd like the Lars Moisture farm. Droids, Tuskens, and Jawas can be the pack-ins, versus not carding a good Owen, and re-releasing Beru. Likewise for their E2 versions, Cliegg and Padme - though for the farm, that might be ok - making them incentive pieces.

The Tantive IV is something I'm cautious of - I'd like the exterior to make a real vehicle. I would NOT go to full scale with this thing. Michael Fright's semi-truck requirement to move his ship is "frightening."

Yavin Base would be cool. Dagobah, much larger than Kenner's. A Mon Calamari Cruiser might at long last be possible. As would a full shield generator playset.

The Ewok Village done earlier was great. Make it connect to another one, and people can make their sets as large as they like.

Jabba's Palace must be done perfectly, and with great care!
The sailbarge might be able to fly in the modular style. What do you think?

Theed Palace in its entirety (with hanger and generator room) would be fine.

The Trade Federation Core ship could be done now.

Add-ons to the Geonosian Arena should continue - like a conference room

A Galactic Senate must be made!

Otah Gunga would be really interesting! And Kamino would be stunning!

When you look at Lego's products, or Playmobile's, and even Kenner's Star Wars Micro-Collection's, you see what potential is out there. I think it could seriously extend the stimulous for a line that's had a great year and is finally continuing and/or expanding its appeal with the success of Episode 2!

Jargo
01-06-2003, 08:51 PM
The only way i could see hasbro doing the death star is to do a floor each year. Each floor would have a couple of areas in it with decent detail and accessories. Each floor would stack on top of the last until finally you have a tower of death star. I've been putting serious thought and attention to coming up with a solution for the death stat that meets the funky needs of toymakers who think kids want extraneous missiles and gun turrets everywhere, collectors who want accuracy and safety regulations and materials restrictions. I tried every which way to make a semi globular or hemispherical design but none would suffice being too large and too expensive. getting the different areas to jigsaw together is a nightmare when you factor in functionality and materials strengths and weknesses and stress levels under continual use. To achieve a whole playset of the death star would either be seriously compromised and several key areas missed out or full of all we want and too massive for production to be viable. making yearly trips to the death star in chunky segments would allow for more areas to be covered and with the stackability it would make the structure stronger and safer than if it were round. Making the toppermost sections progressively smaller so you get a rounded impression might help aesthetically. So the verty top is a gunnery outpost and the level below is also a single environment like the throne room. below that two areas, below that three. The sides could be sort of shaped to curve and add to the round. The bottom layer could be the largest environment - the docking bay or the chasm with the tractor beam controls and the rope swing between bridge doorways. So I'm saying that i vote for sectional playsets building up to a larger environment but split over a period of time in waves. The more environments the better as long as they don't have stupid non movie missiles and laser cannon stuck all over the place and they don't have stupid jedi flipping devices like that awful theed generator complex had. Detail over devices should be the motto here.

JediTricks
01-06-2003, 09:01 PM
I don't think Hasbro has the talent to make good playsets. They had a few successes with the GI Joe line back then, but a LOT of failures there too - that was just luck of the draw, you put out 20 playsets, 1 is bound to not suck. Kenner knew how to make good, compact playsets that didn't rely on STUPID pointless missile launchers and junk -- the huge missile launchers on the Death Star Escape (like that name hasn't been used enough; the chasm playset) and the Carbon Freeze Chamber are cruddy 12" GI Joe accessories, overused ones at that! I don't have faith that Hasbro could ever put a really good playset out...

However, despite that I voted for the modular playsets in the hope that some day, in some part of the galaxy, Hasbro will finally figure out how to put out a good playset and do it this way.

stillakid
01-06-2003, 10:10 PM
I've always campaigned for larger playsets that actually look like more than 4 plain ol' boring walls. Thanks to Rogue II for finding links to many of those past threads. Without a doubt, a large "multi-wedged" Death Star would sell infinitely better than any modular concoction. Kid's like to shoot guns for sure, but only when they're attached to something that they recognize from the movie.

Jerjerrod
01-07-2003, 12:40 AM
I voted no because I find playsets are not realistic and accurate. I understand that playsets are for fun, but if anything, I prefer accurate dioramas that are to scale. I don't mind pieces that come separate and can be put together, like the trash compactor, because they look so realistic. On the other hand, it would be impossible and unreasonable to manufacture a realistic size Geonosis Arena, right?

Tycho
01-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Why not buy 3 of the current arena playsets and put them together?

It could run you $120, but with clearance prices, you might pull it off for as little as $36 if you wanted to run to a lot of Targets and Wal*Marts, or their websites offer those discounts.

The arena is a great playset, with only minor draw-backs to the realism, one being the seating. I chose not to add the off-scale stickers of Geonosians, though I do realize that I can hardly put enough figures hanging from the current sets, to recreate the movie accurately.

jeffonthego
01-07-2003, 02:06 AM
Can't give a blanket answer.

If the sets smaller, more likely.

If several small ones combine, that's cool and could be an incentive.

But really, it's gotta have an exclusive figure that I want.

Bryan Segal
01-07-2003, 03:28 AM
The world of Star Wars is vast for playset ideas. IF it is a good piece and worth a hefty price tag, then hey count me in, i.e. the new shuttle from FAO. I know this is a ship and all but it is so big and costs so much. Do any of the die hard collectors care? I know I don't!

Bryan Segal
01-07-2003, 03:31 AM
Combiner pieces are all the rage now, and I am loving every minute of it. The Cantina bar sets are worth getting even if you need to get crappy redone over and over again figures to do so. Bring on cloud city or Hoth trenches. Jabba's dungeons would be a definate plus. Display or play, count me in!

Fraggle
01-07-2003, 06:25 AM
I voted for the smaller sets that you can put together with the thought that Hasbro may put a tad more care and detail into them if they made them piece by piece. This way, they might avoid using cardboard backgrounds and stickers like the geonosian audience ones in the arena playset. ( I opted to not apply those stickers to mine to keep the thing looking like it has more realistic proportions ). :)

Fraggle

Quite-Gone Jim
01-07-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by jeffonthego
Can't give a blanket answer.

If the sets smaller, more likely.

If several small ones combine, that's cool and could be an incentive.

But really, it's gotta have an exclusive figure that I want.

I totally agree with jeffonthego. Hasbro has a wonderful track record of making a figure, then making a vehicle, and none of the figures fit in the vehicle. So having a figure that comes with vehicles is the best way to go.

Also, there are so many wonderful background creatures and characters that will likely never get made, but they would be perfect with some playsets.

I also will say I prefer smaller playsets that connect together, just because I don't have room to display a huge playset. While it's great for playing with, where do you put it when your done playing?

zeroplate
01-07-2003, 10:06 AM
"shouldn't have one just for the sake of playability like the Carbon Freezing Chamber"

well, as i understand it, playability relates directly to the idea that these are PLAYsets, not DISPLAYsets. i mean, the carbon freezing chamber scene in the film is high in drama, but relatively low on action. adding a cannon may not be accurate, but it gives a kid something to do with the toy rather than recreate 1 scene once and then discard the toy their PARENTS paid hard earned money for in the corner.

i voted no because playsets are not dioramas, and as a person who doesn't exactly PLAY with toys anymore, a playset is really not something i need. some quality display dioramas would be fine, albeit not really within the scope of a toy company to manufacture necessarily. frankly, after the disappointment of the naboo playsets that i bought hoping to create a useful display, only to find they were unstable and incomplete, i'd say if they aren't something kids are clamoring for, then leave them alone.

Tycho
01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
Zeroplate makes some really good and very true points. To use his terms - and they are correct - I do not play with my toys either, and I want DISPLAY sets, versus little activity centers. However, I'd take what he said, and correct the products so those points do not still ring true.

How?

The carbon freezing set is a good example. It should do only what you saw it do in the movie. That being said, there is room for electronic lights and sound effects, and even action levers to recreate part of the lightsaber duel - so long as they're so well disguised, that it does not interfere with the accurate DISPLAY function of the set. The obvious play feature that needs to be there regardless, is the ability to lower a poseable action figure of Han Solo into a pit, turn something, and draw out a frozen carbon block that's clearly Han Solo. In the best case scenerio, it would be a 2nd fully poseable figure of Han, in a 3-layer carbonite piece, that can use a de-freezing effect too.

They can even re-sell that piece to all of us twice with a nice Jabba Palace Setup.

While I don't think I'd sit there and make the characters talk to each other like I did when I was a kid: "Hey Chewie, how's the weather today? I can't see out of this thing!" I would certainly play with the features and marvel at how well really sharp toy designers could pull this thing off. What I'd really like is some sound effects and the ability to play maybe 2 full minutes of Darth Vader's theme by John Williams on my playset, with lights that stayed on until I turned them off. Even better, remote controled playsets that click on the lights and music from a TV -type remote.

The Queen's Royal Starship used that kind of technology already - just not as elaborately.

Finally, ArtAsylum is making great pieces that connect together to make the bridge of the experimental Enterprise with their Deluxe sets. Even if you casually like Star Trek, these are great sets and will come together to make a fine playset. (Depending on sales, they will go beyond the 4 sets planned now, and do the walls, the turbolift, viewscreen, etc!) There is a prime example of how playsets should be done. - and like Star Wars ones are NOT going to sell???? huh!

mychristmas2003
01-07-2003, 03:37 PM
I wish they would come with like a 6-foot Death Star Trench that was to scale to the Micro Collection. Even Micro Machines scale would be cool.

I thought years ago Steve Sansweet mentioned that there was a "death star" in the works - not like the ones already released - but a big round ball that opens up. Been several years since I heard about it though.

underdog25
01-07-2003, 06:58 PM
1. I voted for the big sets.
2. I'd like to see smaller sets that can attach to make the bigger
set bigger.
3. For what it is worth, who does Hasbro make their toys for?
Are they for the collector OR are they for the kids? What is
the right answer and what is your answer?

LusiferSam
01-07-2003, 07:57 PM
I voted for the smaller scene builders. Reason one, this is what I would have wanted as a kid. When I was younger I love any toy(s) that had came in parts to be combine with others, like Voltron, some Transformers, and Legos (at lest the way I played with my). So if Kenner had that I would have eaten them up. Two I think Hasbro could sell more small sets then fewer large set. If they sell more I'd have then easier time finding stuff. And I'd feel better paying more smaller sets then on large set as well.

karinations
01-07-2003, 10:35 PM
That's what's been really missing from the new line is the playsets.
The arena is nice(or seems to be,still can't find one:/)
But more playsets are needed for sure,i would buy them.
They use the excuse that they don't sell well and take up shelf space,blah,blah..
Then all they have to do is limit the number made.
I would buy a $49.99 half decent Death Star or Hoth Rebel base.
Gladly!

-V-
http://www.karinations.com
http://www.citizenv.com

karinations
01-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Actually i take that back..
I agree with Lusifersam it would be better to have sections (Death Star:Trash compacter playset,Detention Cell playset,ect)
But not like the sad pieces of crap they came out with in 97,those things stunk and they didn't even attach.

-V-

http://www.karinations.com

Tycho
01-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by mychristmas2003
I wish they would come with like a 6-foot Death Star Trench that was to scale to the Micro Collection. Even Micro Machines scale would be cool.

I thought years ago Steve Sansweet mentioned that there was a "death star" in the works - not like the ones already released - but a big round ball that opens up. Been several years since I heard about it though.

There was, but it opened up into a Tatooine playset.

stillakid
01-08-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Finally, ArtAsylum is making great pieces that connect together to make the bridge of the experimental Enterprise with their Deluxe sets. Even if you casually like Star Trek, these are great sets and will come together to make a fine playset. (Depending on sales, they will go beyond the 4 sets planned now, and do the walls, the turbolift, viewscreen, etc!) There is a prime example of how playsets should be done. - and like Star Wars ones are NOT going to sell???? huh!

Originally posted by underdog25
1. I voted for the big sets.
2. I'd like to see smaller sets that can attach to make the bigger
set bigger.
3. For what it is worth, who does Hasbro make their toys for?
Are they for the collector OR are they for the kids? What is
the right answer and what is your answer?

This is exactly my question. I've always advocated the large playsets and vehicles that look like the screen versions out of the box precisely because I continually hear about how Hasbro's main target is still kids. If I'm wrong about that, please correct me, but it seems to me that for the non-serious-collector, the kids, and (more importantly) the parents of the non-serious-collecting kids, they wouldn't be so enthusiastic about buying just part of a toy...one that they have to keep hunting the pieces down for.

I'm all for large highly detailed renditions of the Sand Crawler, Star Destroyer, Death Star etc in pieces if it seemed plausible for the marketplace. But given that the primary target for Hasbro is apparently still children (who have smaller bank accounts than we do), it doesn't seem a likely prospect to dream about or even one to keep asking for realistically.

mychristmas2003
01-08-2003, 12:19 PM
I know Micromachines made the Death Star transformer - I am talking about a Death Star playset - open it up and it is the Death Star - made for MIcromachines though. I was supposed to be pretty big and around $100

Rogue II
01-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by mychristmas2003
I know Micromachines made the Death Star transformer - I am talking about a Death Star playset - open it up and it is the Death Star - made for MIcromachines though. I was supposed to be pretty big and around $100

I think I know which one you are talking about...is it the tiny unposeable micromachines or the slightly larger micromachines(Action fleet?) that have moveable arms and legs. I think the Action fleet also had a Rebel Hoth base playset.

My wife bought me the Micromachine Death Star playset. It was on clearance for $10. I never bothered opening because I didn't really want it (of course I didn't tell my wife that;) ).

mychristmas2003
01-08-2003, 12:39 PM
This one was never released. It was supposed to be huge - like 18"-24" across. I remember that TRU was going to the exclusive retailer for it - back when they had "Star Wars Central" in the stores - remember the giant Falcon ?? :-)

Rogue II
01-08-2003, 01:40 PM
I remember seeing it. The Falcon turned into a Rebel Hangar or something, right?

The Micromachine Death Star I have turns into Tatooine if I'm not mistaken. It's been a long time since I even looked at it. I can't find any Micromachine pics in the Collector's Database.

mychristmas2003
01-08-2003, 02:07 PM
The Falcon I am talking about was the one they hung from the ceiling for display and then gave away in a drawing..

mahondo
01-11-2003, 09:38 PM
I think the whole concept of smaller play/displaysets that join together is what could finally make products like Star Destroyers and DEath Stars feasible.Price wise they would make it easier for both collectors and parents to recreate these important scenes.

As a kid I never owned any of the larger platsets or vehicles,yet I owned all of the mini-rings because that's all my parents could reallly afford.Whilst these didn't actualy have any sceen time, they provide hours of playtime and they did have that Star Wars "look" about them. Mini-rings are way different to the playsets being discussed in these forums, but the principle is the same:small affordable products that provide both playability and authenticity.

Lets look at a Star Destoyer broken into 3 or 4 segments that join together, you could have the main bridge,Darth Vaders meditation chamber, maybe some sort of hanger.Each set would have awesome playability for the kids and would look cool for the collectors.throw in some figures and bingo...affordable sets from the movies.Do the same thing with Jabba's Palace,(main courtroom,dungeons,entrance,Rancor pit,galley!?)the Death Stars,Yavin 4 Massassi temple,CloudCity, or any other Star Wars enviroments.
Just split them up and we're on a winner. It could save the line.

JediTricks
01-12-2003, 04:27 AM
Plus, smaller playsets means happier retailers. Often, it goes like this:
the more shelf space an item demands + the higher price an item costs = less items ordered by retailers

mtriv73
01-12-2003, 10:24 AM
I voted for the scene builders. I love the Trash compacter sets and hope they do many more along those lines. They're small, affordable, and have great detail.

JediTricks
01-13-2003, 09:04 PM
If the Trash Compactor scenes had come with 3 plastic walls instead of cardboard cutouts, I think the $17 pricetag would have made each more of a playset than a cinema scene. That would have been awesome.

Tycho
01-13-2003, 09:30 PM
I bought them (the trash compactor sets) but the problem is this:

the garbage cannot "compact" and crush up. Molded spongy material that had color dyes added to it (to highlight various pieces of junk) could have done that.

Molded walls would add to a diorama, but this could have been so much better if it were a part you add to other parts - like a level above it that's got a chute down, originating in a detention cell block playset. - Parts adding up to a larger whole as we've been discussing.

I bought the trash sets mostly because it's a nostalgic scene for me, and it looks nicely done. I'm really not fond of buying things I'm not going to open, but where else am I going to put the dianoga - or how differently from how it's packaged now? (most of it's under the 'water.' Anyway, to me it's the same feeling as when they make a figure and you know you're going to need a resculpt (like Mace Arena Rescue). This time I got suckered into buying something I over-appreciate - and only because it appeals to me on some sentimental value. Believe me, I'm not proud of myself and this is not what I call a trash compactor playset. It doesn't do anything!