PDA

View Full Version : Silver R2 - Possibly A Sacrilegious Question

kdp100
01-07-2003, 06:23 AM
Has anyone here managed to swap the "backwards" legs of this figure successfully without damaging it?

I managed to get hold of one the other day (which I decided to open as its card was heavily creased), but the reversed arrangement of its legs mean that it's very "front-heavy" and keeps toppling backwards.

I've found one thread on these forums that recommends sawing-off the leg-pegs and re-attaching them to the body - but this seems a bit drastic, so I wondered if anyone has found a way to split the body of this figure without harming the bodywork or the paint.

Any feedback gratefully received.

Jargo
01-07-2003, 10:53 AM
You can't do stuff like boil and pop because the chrome effect will crack off and split. Any bending will crack it. That's why the cut off the legs at the peg is the best solution because it liits the damage. If you attempt to split the body open you'll risk tearing the silver and make a right pigs ear of the bodywork. I'd go with the slicing off method if i were you. :)

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 10:56 AM
where can this silver R2 be found? Sounds like a hot item, is this going to be in stores?

kdp100
01-07-2003, 11:33 AM
I picked mine up at www.R2DToys.com when I went to their shop yesterday.
It was cheaper than their usual price due to the damage on the card.
I haven't seen this figure at my local TRU yet, and in any case I doubt there's 30 worth of merchandise left for me to buy.

Thanks for the tip, Jargo - I'd suspected as much already with regard to the chrome.

Think I'll just leave R2 as he is, as I don't want to damage him . . . OR myself - the LAST time I tried to use my micro-drill to reattach a piece of broken SW toy, I put the drill-bit straight through the end of my finger!

Lord Malakite
01-07-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by kdp100
Think I'll just leave R2 as he is, as I don't want to damage him . . . OR myself - the LAST time I tried to use my micro-drill to reattach a piece of broken SW toy, I put the drill-bit straight through the end of my finger!

OW! :eek:

I suppose the boil and pop method could work Jargo. You could then use acrylic paint, like you use to paint model airplanes, to repaint the figure chrome and metallic blue after you remove the old split/chipped paint with a hobby knife. Sounds like more work than it is worth though.

Darth Cruel
01-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Micro drill. Where can I get one. I have had an idea for customizing a light saber for some time, but I can't find a drill bit small and long enough to drill a small inconsequential hole down the center of Darth Maul's Lightsaber.

JediDBM
01-07-2003, 04:01 PM
Have you looked at Sears?

kdp100
01-07-2003, 05:21 PM
A lot of people swear by Dremels or other powered rotary tools (there are probably lots of threads on this in the customizing section on this site, or on http://www.ffurg.com/), but I just bought a cheap manual drill from the model shop at the top of my road.

The drill's about the size of a propelling pencil and works by a combination of a spring & a threaded screw.

I think any decent model or craft shop should have a small selection of these things. Mine cost about 7 for the drill and 5 for a set of drill-bits ranging in size from 0.3mm-1.6mm - approximately 12 ($18?) in total.
I also bought a miniature hobby vice for about 8 ($12?) from a hardware store.

TIP - If you've placed a piece of plastic in a vice to drill it, you don't then need to keep your hand on the vice to keep the piece secure. That's how I drilled my finger! :dead:

mightywhelk
01-09-2003, 07:08 AM
If you are in the UK, try Homebase. They do their own version of the Dremel at about half the price. It comes with plenty of different drill bits and costs around 20.