PDA

View Full Version : Transitional line: A little birdy told me

TheBigSloppy
01-07-2003, 10:21 AM
Believe what you want from this, but my source who designs the packaging for the Star Wars line at Hasbro claims that the next packaging (transitional to EPIII) will be RUST colored.

That's all I have for now.

I am trying to get images or samples. But that seems to be as difficult as walking straight through the Black Gates of MOrdor.

Jargo
01-07-2003, 11:50 AM
Well since the greater part of episode two was seen through a filter of orange light so everything looked rust anyway I can think of no better color for the cards. With all the brown plastic they use for the figures it'll match beautifully. What a glory it is to behold a collection of brown star wars figures on a shelf display, like a sea of dog doodoo standing to attention. Rust will make the figures seem like so much effluence when viewed from across the store. Bad move IMO.

sith_killer_99
01-07-2003, 12:21 PM
Why would Hasbro change the cards? The SAGA packaging is already generic, no EPII or "Attack of the Clones" on the cards. I say they have their transitional cards.:rolleyes:

And yes I am still bitter that Hasbro broke with tradition by not cranking out EPII cards!:p

Jargo
01-07-2003, 02:57 PM
I should add that since I haven't seen them either I'm just using a vivid imagination to come up with a vision of reddish brown cards with a golden logo and wotnot. It's a warm color and i actually do like russet or rust or raw siewnna or burnt umber or whatever you prefer to call the color, but i have grave misgivings about making the brand over with it. True there are those who dislike the blue but there are those who dislike any of the colors that's been used. No matter what hasbro do to the cards there will be detracters. I personally think that if they went for black and rust with the edges being rust and the center of the card being black that might help to convey some of the darness of the final segment of the saga. The rusty brown representing the old jedi order and the black representing the emergence of the dark side from within. Darker is better in my opinion but darker doesn't sell too well with kids necessarily. so combining the brighter edge with a center of darkness hits both the adult and kid market. The kids see the bright rusty color and know it's star wars, the adults catch the subtlety of the darkness spreading to the edges. Using a real gold foil effect on the logo would cap it off really well and the cards would gleam as you approached. Edge the gold in black also so it stands out even more. I know this is probably just nothing and the cards will probably end up looking really bad and wishy washy with not much of anything to them but if i was in charge I'd make damn sure the last cards were bloody dynamic. Special.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-07-2003, 05:56 PM
Rust color? Sounds like poodoo to me. I like the 2002 Saga cards, I LOVE the 2003 Saga cards, I see no need for a change when EIII comes around. Hasbro should just write a dinky little paragraph about the movie and slap it on the cards, and BAM instant EIII cards.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-07-2003, 06:06 PM
I agree with keeping the cards the way they are. Knowing Hasbleh, they'll change the cards and claim that it cost them so much, and blah blah blah and we'll be stuck with ugly cards and crappy figures!! Keep them like they are now, they're very lovely indeed. :D

Jerjerrod
01-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Maybe they can finally put Vader's head back on the top left corner again. :eek: :crazed:

Turbowars
01-07-2003, 11:51 PM
I hate these generic Blue cards with a passion. EP2 should have had it's our card, then maybe this blue thing for the transition. The reasons why I dislike the blue card is #1 it's Blue, #2 it's generic (no photo of charactor), #3 huge bubble (Mon could have been a deluxe) #4 Hasbro has lost the OT feeling in the line. IMO, adults buy theses toys, kids don't. Hasbro is pis sing the OT fans off! Infact I'm kind of insulted with the packaging and some of the rehash crap that's coming, other than that I love the line;) Ok, that's my 2cent rant:)

Sentinel18725
01-08-2003, 01:34 AM
I despise the new cards.....for two reasons.
1. I store my figs in footlockers and I can only get half as many in as the previous ones because of the larger centered bubble.
2. I wish they would go back to using the pictures like the vintage figures. I still have my vintage cards and I love seeing the characters in there original scenes from the movies. It's fun to try to find them in the movie in that scene....

LTBasker
01-08-2003, 01:47 AM
I doubt they'd use a rust color, besides look at how the cards changed from the Toy Fair sneak preview POTJ design to the official POTJ design. They've been too fixated on brighter colors to go to a rust color or any rather dark color.

Jargo
01-08-2003, 07:40 AM
But if it was abright shiny orangey rust then they could say it works. Think of daglo orange and then add a little black into the virtual paint tin, give it a stir and there's a garish bright orange rust color. See it could work.

Thinking about this yesterday I've revised my initial thoughts and I'm going to wait and see and decide when i see it if it ever happens.

jjreason
01-08-2003, 10:57 AM
I think maybe Jargo should have a job with Hasbro. Here's my new mantra for the year:

"Sack Randy, Hire Andy!!!"

Ready, all together now....

JEDIpartner
01-08-2003, 01:05 PM
I more Vibrant Orange wouldn't be so bad. Anything that is a dull, uninspiring colour is most UNwelcome by me!

Beast
01-08-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't know, sounds like BS from me. Remeber back before E2 was set to come out, we had these supposed people with contacts who told us how the E2 cards were going to look. I'll take this report with a grain of salt, until 2005. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
01-08-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I don't know, sounds like BS from me.

How dare YOU start such a terrible rumour!!!!!! ;)

Beast
01-08-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
How dare YOU start such a terrible rumour!!!!!! ;)
LOL, I need to read closer when I'm typing. I'll leave it, cause it's pretty funny. If I were to start a rumor about the EIII packaging, I would go with somthing a bit more plausable then rust color. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JangoFart
01-08-2003, 01:17 PM
Well, I too was disappointed that there was no EP2 card. I really dig the way my display looks with the differing cards showing the differing eras. I think the current card would have been a great card to goto after the EP2 fever wore off.

I hope there is a EP3-specific card. They can always go back to the whatever-the-card-is-in-2005 card after the EP3 fever wears off.

J

The Overlord Returns
01-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
LOL, I need to read closer when I'm typing. I'll leave it, cause it's pretty funny. If I were to start a rumor about the EIII packaging, I would go with somthing a bit more plausable then rust color. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well ya can't change it now, or my lil funny will make no sense... ;)

One thing I've always wondered is why people make such a fuss over the cards. I mean, are those of you who place importance on the cards exclusively carded collectors? I'm an opener, so I couldn't care less what the card looks like....

Beast
01-08-2003, 02:01 PM
Frankly, I could care less what the cards look like. Hasbro could package the figures in a plastic baggie like the old vintage mail-aways. Just staple a header card onto the baggie and hang it on a shelf. It's kinda scary that the toy industry is about the only one where people actually worry about the packaging over the product.

I like the new cards and bubbles. Allows Hasbro alot more room to put figures that before wouldn't have been possible out there. Before figures like Ephant Mon would have been $10.00 Deluxe figures. Not to mention all that extra room equals more 2-packs and accessories. And that's always cool. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-08-2003, 03:16 PM
I like to get a mint card with absolutely no blemishes or anything and if it has a sticker on the back for the UPS it has to be straight and then i carefully transport it home and calmly and with a great deal of personal satidfaction - rip the damn thing apart to get to the toy inside. Safe in the knowledge that i deprived a carded collector of a mint card, hoping that a carded collector will see the error of their ways and start opening and playing with the stuff the way it's supposed to be used instead of recreating some damn virtual toystors display on their walls. It's got to be a sickness like a perverse masochism to keep stuff boxed up forever and never open it and just gaze and drool. They have medical explanations for irrational behaviour disorders like that.

But back to the point, I care about the cards only because I like what i buy to be nicely presented before I tear the packaging apart. Same as I like my birthday and christmas presents to be wrapped with nice paper and ribbons and tied on top with fairytale bows and streamers. It's a nice thing to recieve and then to spend a few short moments deliberately destroying someone's hard work is deeply gratifying. :evil:

Jargo
01-08-2003, 04:33 PM
Galactic hunter posted a link to some site that was saying there's going to be a sith witch in the clone wars mini line. My heart stopped beating and I thought i went insane already but no i read right and Hasbro once again plumbs the depths or the ludicrous and second rate EU for crap to milk the line that's dying with. Mini lines and all these gimmicks mean hasbro is desperate for sales and will stop at nothing to get them, but shouldn't they learn from the failure and death of the Batman line, the gimmicks and bizarre sublines actively kill the whole nature of the thing they don't prolong life. Hasbro is actively alienating so many long term collectors and fans iot's unreal. Since 2000 I've seen more people give up on star wars than in the long wilderness years before the resurgance of 95. I'm telling you they need to go back and start over with that muppet Randy booted once and for all. get rid of the driving force behind these appallingly bad toys and get someone in who knows what they're doing. If hasbro wants profit then that's what they need to do.

sith_killer_99
01-08-2003, 06:26 PM
hoping that a carded collector will see the error of their ways

Nope, we just find it elsewhere, or ebay (for the impatient ones).

It's got to be a sickness like a perverse masochism

Yes.....it is.:crazed:

Actually, I collect both carded and loose, I open all the ships...you gotta open all the ships!

BTW, my "Toy Store" has carded figures from Germany, England, Italy, Mexico, Canada (I love those Canadian cards) and a few other countries I can't even remember right now.

Shadows of the Empire figures alone had at least 4 different versions!

Beast
01-08-2003, 06:33 PM
Jargo, not gonna nitpick with ya. But the Sith Witch would actually be a concept figure, not really EU. Atleast it's not another concept Darth Maul, we've had enough of those to choke a horse. But then again, it kinda would be a concept Maul, from a certain point of view. Damn, I can hear the horse's choking even harder. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-08-2003, 06:49 PM
it's a wolf in sheeps clothing that's what it is, all EU no matter how they dress it up. mandalorian warrior eh, well that's an easy one for them, just a rehash Jango fett in different colors to go with the rehash jango Fett that's already planned for the clone wars range unless the mandalorian warrior is actually jango fett himself in which case it's still a rehash jango fett. Sith With, if this is from the pre-production designs where one of the designers was attempting to push for a Sith female and lucas kept shoving the idea aside in favor of a really old guy who can't move. Well the dooku thing really panned out george :rolleyes: And the designs for the sith female were dreadful. I suppose it was the lesser of the two evils, old man or woman with scary face paint. Personally i would have gone for something in between and called it quits. But now we get some overblown version of some scratchy sketch that some mad artist did hoping for a piece of glory in the pantheon of star wars designers "I got george to make the Sith a female blah blah blah." don't think so. I see no reason to make some bizarre non star wars thing. The mandalorians I can see the logic in as they are mentioned in the backstory to Attack of the goons, but some stupid sith thing seems totally random and unjustified. How about they just round to making a decent figure of AOTC C-3po first. The last two have been a bag of **** quite frankly. Too stupid to make the panels clip on right on the first and too stupid to get the height right on the second. Not to mention the absolutely cheapo ****ty plastic they used both times. What a rip off they were. Screww the gimmicks and get round to the decent figures that are the right scale and the right colors and don't fall apart or fall over or clip into some extraneous pile of junk accessory. Christ just stop with the **** Hasbro and get back to making friggin' toys not adverts for toy industry salesmanship of crap product. " Well randy we managed to hyke off those shipments of the cheapo crappy figures already, profits are skyrocketing thanks to those collector idiots out there. I reckon if we cut back on standards by another fifteen percent they won't even notice the change, let's cut back on paint applications too have the machines set to a nanomillimeter depth of spray per application and go see the design boys about cutting back on the colors they use too, that should save us millions!!"

jjreason
01-09-2003, 02:17 PM
Sir, I think we might be able to make even more money if we almost always use the same body for every figure like He-Man. Mattel is really onto something with that scheme......

Jargo
01-09-2003, 04:54 PM
"yeah, good call, This madalorian thing could really pay off because now we've got two ways to rake it in with just one mold and we can make our mandalorian white which will save on paint, re-use some old trashy weapon from the POTF line and kids will think it's prime! Bingo we're onto a winner here, I think I can see my promotion just around the next windfall corner..."

Hey, how about we re-issue some vehicles too and save on a crapload of work, that Slave-1 will work great for Boba Fett and the Mandalorians if we recolor it we can shove it out time and time again. Then when that's starting to die off we can just re-issue the vintage mold Millenium falcon with a few new stickers and hey presto instant cash in a flash leaving us plenty of free time to go watch a game or something. Man I love my job!!!"

"True,true..."

OC47150
01-09-2003, 05:15 PM
The Saga-style cards don't bother me as much as the size of the bubbles. It makes storing them a little more difficult.

Ji'dai
01-09-2003, 11:10 PM
I like the Saga cards as well, it brought back a sense of nostalgia for me.

I thought that Hasbro was bringing the card design full circle to reflect the original Kenner Star Wars cards. The hands grasping the lightsaber, the gold SW logo and bar that encirles the figure is reminiscent of the cards from the late 70s.

I assumed that Episode II cards would retain the same design but would be black instead of blue, with silver logo and bar, much like the cards for the promotional Silver Anniversary Vader and R2 figures.

I would still like to see cardbacks that have all figures in the line pictured, like the originals did. I also miss the Star Wars mini-catalogs that Kenner packed in with the playsets and vehicles. I loved flipping through those as a kid.