PDA

View Full Version : AF real size

sergiurusu
01-09-2003, 04:22 AM
Please tell me which of the AF ships comparing to their minifigs is the real size as in the movies? For example: the AT-AT is much smaller= how smaller?

good shot jansen
01-09-2003, 07:55 AM
hmmmm, either the x-wings or y-wings look about right. maybe lukes landspeeder as well.

pretty much everything else has been skewed in some form or fashion to fit the 6" maximum requirement imposed on galoob.

as hasbro had the license for big stuff, galoob was required by their licensing agreement with lucas enterprise to limt the size of the action fleet line to be no bigger than 6" in length.

of course as there was no specific requirement for width, this allowed the af trade fed lander to have quite a broad wingspan!

those tricky galoobies!

JediTricks
01-10-2003, 12:04 AM
The X-wing is sorta close, but the Y-wing is pretty off since it's supposed to be considerably bigger than the X-wing. Luke's landspeeder, the Lars' family landspeeder, TIE Fighter, Interceptor, and Bomber, the smaller version of Vader's TIE, and the A-wing are all in the "close enough to scale for JT's tastes" category. ;) Most others are shrunk down, but a few were blown up to fit the line: Snowspeeder, Cloud Car, Flash Speeder, Gian Speeder, and T-16 Skyhopper.

Glitch
01-10-2003, 01:00 AM
Actually, the Land Speeder and the Lars Speeder were also blown up in size due to the way the figures had to be seated in the cockpit. We were not "allowed" to make them extend under the dash. :(

The only one that I KNOW for a FACT that is dead on to the size references that we were given by LFL was the Federation Tank. That thing is PERFECT at 6".

Also, the "six inch rule" was only for Episode 1, and was not in effect for the final wave. Hasbro complained that we could move in on their precious Collector's Fleet line. However, when Hasbro bought Galoob, the rule was eased. Because of this, the Royal Starship is bigger than 6". Even with the retractable finials, the first proto just looked too dang insignificant when grouped with the other ships in the wave. It was a rather thin ship to begin with, so Hasbro allowed us to pump it up a bit. I really like the way that one turned out. :)

I still have the original 6" proto around here somewhere. It is painted silver rather than the chrome finnish, so it is not near as pretty as the final production piece. If you guys want, I'll try to post some pics of that as well as the original missile launching Federation Tank.

sergiurusu
01-10-2003, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Glitch

I still have the original 6" proto around here somewhere. It is painted silver rather than the chrome finnish, so it is not near as pretty as the final production piece. If you guys want, I'll try to post some pics of that as well as the original missile launching Federation Tank.

Thanks guys for the answer. My little cousin asked this before and didn't know exactly all the ships' sizes. Glitch please post those pics!!

good shot jansen
01-10-2003, 03:00 PM
ahhhhhhh, so the final wave was all designed under hasbro's watch.

that kinda irks me. the final wave of action fleet for episode I was without a doubt the best bunch of the action fleet line when considered as a whole. the sith infiltrator and royal starship are two of the best star ship vehicles ever released under the line, the att is is extrememly well designed, and as you mentioned above, is dead on with regards to scale. the droid control ship, the weakest of the bunch, would be a standout in any other wave release.

waht irks me, as mentioned above, if hasbro did so well on taking over the action fleet line with this 1st wave of theirs, why did they stumble so badly and leave us where we are today?

i know they looked at the bottom line with the final wave of action fleet, but that has more to do with distributuin than anything else. i never saw wave 4 on a retail shelf anywhere, i was only able to find it online through d&s toys. in fact, i was ordering something else through them, and dave roberts called me (that's right, called me on the telephone), and asked if i would be interested in wave 4, as he had only just received it that day. he had been processing my order for some action fleet purchase (actually, i think it was for the mm tatooine desert playset, that i was ordering for vt at the time), and called to ask if i would be interested. as i recall, once word got out that he had the 4th wave, they sold out really quickly. i always felt that if dave hadn't called me up, i might never would have found wave 4.

(hmmmmm, that ended up being a longer story than i planned)

anyway, thanx for the great info on the size of the af ships glitch, i always love reading your posts!

LTBasker
01-10-2003, 03:42 PM
One vehicle I think is the most near scale besides the AAT is the Cloud Car, the thing was blown up, but it seems to be near in scale with the figures. Also don't forget the Speederbikes, Swoop bikes and the Escape Pod. I think those are very near correct scale.

Glitch
01-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Actually, the last Episode 1 wave (wave four) was virtually finished well before Hasbro sunk their teeth into Galoob. In this case, the ships were designed in a certain order, and then switched around from one wave to another. We tended to design the more prominent ships first. The Federation Tank, for example, was originally designed for wave two, but was then held out until wave four to give that wave some more recognizable vehicles.

We liked to mix the highly visible ships with some of the lessor known. That way, the later waves would not include a bunch of unknown dogs. Since that wave WAS going to include the Boles Rore and Neva Kee Pods, we wanted to include some ships with a little more clout. There were a TON of Pods, lessor known ships/vehicles, and creatures that were cancelled toward the end of the Episode 1 AF run.

The resizing of the Royal Starship was more of a last minute plea on our part since we knew that the Galoob contract with LFL was now under one roof. Hasbro did NOTHING on the last AF wave, or any the ships that have touted the Galoob name.

What you see now is Hasbro's first "solo" venture into AF. How have they done so far?

good shot jansen
01-10-2003, 05:41 PM
oh i see, lets see, how have they done?...........:rolleyes: ............:confused: .............:sur: ............:( ..............:frus: ...................:mad: ..................:dead:

Jangu Fett
01-10-2003, 06:50 PM
How has Hasbro done do far????? Great when they said the AF would return. Terrible when they lauch the line without mini-figures.

Is it just me:confused: , or am I the only one who would love to remake the Geonosian Arena Battle scene with Af scale figures?

sicqnus
01-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Great Idea, I also would love to see a playset with several slots for an AF Trade Federation Core ship (eggship), Geonosian Landscape for a micro Clone War, a landing area for the Slave One and a little hill where you could land your Jedi Starfighter...

And a few Battle Packs, one with Battle Droids, C-3PO, R2-D2, SuperBattleDro´ds, sonic cannon. Another one with Acklay (too small to make an AF), and the other beasts, another one with Geonosians, Jedis and a Dwarf dro´d...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
R.E.M. : sang this song "Dream, dream, dream, I want you sooooo...."

Jangu Fett
01-10-2003, 07:16 PM
Why doesn't Hasbro get the idea??? When Hasbro said they were release "new" AF didn't evryone think it would have included mini-figs??? Obviously, Glitch and some of the other AF designers did. It doesn't make sense. To bring the AF back, with everyone expecting a Galoob style AF, with figures. Then not include them. Didn't Hasbro realize, Galoob had figures with their AF ships?

Jedi Idej
01-10-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Glitch

What you see now is Hasbro's first "solo" venture into AF. How have they done so far?

It's like replacing Michaelangelo with the local brick layer to finish work on the Sistine Chapel.

SWAFMAN
01-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Since it looks extremely doubtful Hasblowchunks is going to bring back the mini-figs, I just wish they'd finish up on whatever EP2 vehicles they plan to release, and move on to an AF capital (capitol??) ships series. At least with these ships, the mini-figs wouldn't be in realistic scale anyway, so losing them wouldn't adversely impact my perceptions of the playability of the included vehicle.

Sure, it was still nice to get mini-figs with previous larger ships like the Blockade Runner, Republic Gunship & TF Droid Control Ship, MTT, and even the un-released Star Destroyer, but we all know that, in order to accommodate a mini-fig, these vehicles were designed with absurdly out-of-scale added features.

My suggestion may not be a perfect solution, but I'd have no problem with the capital ships' action features being designed without any regard to interaction with mini-figs. I'd like them to still be feature-packed, just with features that are more practical to the ship's scale.

Of course, my best preference would be that these ships were designed as I suggest above, but still packed with one or two mini-figs that could be used with other AF ships that are better-scaled to accept the figs.

Jangu Fett
01-10-2003, 10:52 PM
I like that idea SWAFMAN. However it extremely doubtful HAsbro will go through with it.

JediTricks
01-12-2003, 06:05 AM
Like I said, "close enough for JT" scale on the ANH landspeeders. :D

I keep forgetting about the AAT, a great AF but thanks to the r/c version, I never remember the regular one.

By the way gang:
MTT - Multi Troop Transport
AAT - Armored Assault Tank