PDA

View Full Version : Funny unexpected translations you've heard of.

scruffziller
01-09-2003, 09:14 AM
First off, I'll tell you something SW related.

In Zimbabwe, Africa when ROTJ was there. One of the times when Nien Numb is speaking to Lando in the Falcon cockpit.
It translates to something like, "Get pregnant by an elephant."

In German, the word VICKS(famous for vaporrub) translates to the "F" word.

In Japan the corperation that is owned by WAL MART not only did not want to change there name to WAL MART because the original
name preserves recognition, but because WAL MART in Japanese translates to "Baby Killer".

mabudonicus
01-09-2003, 10:54 AM
The cantonese translation of the movie "running scared"s title is "these guys run so fast you can't catch them"
The chevy nova failed in mexico and south america when it was introduced as it roughly translates into something that means "doesn't go"
Supposedly, may be an "urban legend" but the coca cola motto was translated into Chinese (not sure which Chinese, but hey) as "bite the wax tadpole"

El Chuxter
01-09-2003, 01:17 PM
mab, you beat me to "no va."

I always heard that Nein Nunb's quote means "A herd of elephants is standing on my feet." But I could be wrong.

mabudonicus
01-10-2003, 09:59 AM
Sorry Chux, I didn't see you there:)
I won't put the link since there's some mildly strong language there, but if you want some funny translations, check out engrish.com , it's almost too funny
The German word for raccoon translates literally into "wash bear", cause they wash their food...
I just bought a swedish heavy metal album with lyrics in english on it, and they keep mentioning how they are "waiting for a genesis reborn", that's KINDA funny.....
It also bears mentioning here that our national anthem, "O Canada", is TOTALLY different in English than it is in French...
Tha French version is more like a battle hymn, the English version sounds like a commercial for an insurance company or a mail delivery service (the music's awesome, the lyrics aren't so hot though.... now JJreasons gonna arrest me for treason, dammit:):))

QLD
01-10-2003, 07:46 PM
Joanie Loves Chachie had really high ratings in Japan, because there, Chachie means penis.

smurfvader
01-10-2003, 08:29 PM
When Coke's slogan "Coke adds life" was introduced to Japan (Cokes) sales went down. The slogan was roughly translated to "It brings your dead ancestors back to life." Also if in Germany you ask for a hotdog using the German words for hot and dog you will be asking for a dog in heat.
If you like this kind of stuff or would like to read a very funny book I recommend Anguish English by Richard Lederer. It' full of Quotes, humerous translations, puns and other abuses of the english language.

JIm

jjreason
01-10-2003, 11:29 PM
An American milk company, Pet Milk, tried to market their product in Quebec - didn't go over too well as the French there use the verb PETER (not Peter, but pet-eh) to say "fart".

Jos. Louis cakes got a much warmer reception as the name for that snack cake translates loosely to "big boobs". Now that's one sweet snack. :cool:

Rogue II
01-10-2003, 11:45 PM
You know that "I got your nose!" trick you uncle always played on you when you were a kid? (You put your thumb between your index and middle finger)

Well, in Korea, that is an obscene jesture.

Emperor Howdy
01-11-2003, 02:23 AM
Oh man, I remember this one time I was at a restaurant here in Atlanta. The place was packed, so I mumbled to a passing waitress, "Can I get some water?". Now, I don't know about you guys, but imagine how I laughed my arse off when the girl comes back a couple of minutes later with a glass of water!!!

HELLO!?! BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!! A GLASS OF WATER!! BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Anyway, I thought it was because the restaurant was busy, but I later found out that here in the states, "Can I get some water?" translates to someone bringing you a glass of water!!!

Oh boy-o-boy-o-boy......people crack me up. :happy:

:D :D :D ......God, how I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

Jargo
01-11-2003, 06:24 AM
Yeah the star wars quote is what Chux said but it's foot not feet. It didn't matter the guy who voiced Nien Numb became a national treasure back home in Africa. His people were just thrilled to hear their native tongue in a 'Hollywood' movie.

I don't have any quotes because i never pay attention to people. I laugh and the instantly forget what they just said. And i don't read anymore so that's that. Jeez why did i post in here? Must have nothing better to do. :)

jobi
01-11-2003, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by scruffziller
First off, I'll tell you something SW related.

In German, the word VICKS(famous for vaporrub) translates to the "F" word.

fickt is the f-word in German

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-11-2003, 11:46 AM
KFC's "finger lickin' good" slogan in Japan roughly translates to "eat your fingers"

Exhaust Port
01-11-2003, 12:21 PM
Here's a website of screwy Japanese translations.

http://www.engrish.com/

My personal favorite was found when watching an Anime movie years ago. The characters walking through a town passed an ice cream parlor showing their flavors of the day in the window. The 2 flavors were BLEE BERRY and HOT PONY.

I must admit, I've always been a fan of Hot Pony flavored ice cream.

187-Maul
01-15-2003, 01:01 PM
jobi is right, "ficken" is the f-word (actually the verb to f-)
Vicks also exists in germany as a brand, but if you change the v to a w and add an e at the ending, "Wichse" (oops, you also change ck to ch, but you pronounce it the same way) is "slang" for sperm (I think I can say that here right)
just for your information...;)