PDA

View Full Version : Action Fleet gubbins

AndyW
01-09-2003, 11:22 AM
Hello all,am new to posting here,so excuse me for awhile please,I have said hello in the uk finds room,but couldn't work out where to say hi to the board as a whole,so I'm sort of saying hi here. Anyway...

Used to collect Action fleet way back when, pre 1999,and then when I moved out of home to goto uni a hell of a lot of stuff got junked, the only thing that go saved was my Republic Cruiser. Thankyou dad,thats all my series alpha stuff and my collection of x-wings and ties that I used to play with gone. Eeeek. What survived however was my older collection of original star wars toys,and quite a lot of star trek playmates toys,phasers,tricorders,electronic star ships and the like.

This year with the new action fleet stuff out I've started collecting some gubbins again,light sabres,some new star wars lego,some figures and one of my favourites,the large Jedi star fighter.
Then of course theres the action fleet,so far I've got the wave with the tie X1,X-Wing and the Falcon,all for £20 from this new shop I found back home,which I thought was quite good.
So far have seen no sign in the uk of the Snow Speeder,Dooku sail ship and AT-TE wave, but if anyone can correct me,please do.

So,the point of this thread really,I'm really eager for the next wave, the Acclamator,Gunship and Slave One to come out,but is it really going to be Spring??? Seems like a long time coming surely? Or is this normal for hasbro/or this sort of toy? So if that set is going to be so far off, when can we expect Jedi Starfighter action fleet and other ships? Summer?

Phew,that was much longer than intended,I apologise,but I'm new and I've got a lot to say :D

r2dee2
01-09-2003, 11:34 AM
BIG warm welcome AndyW. You'll find several UK collector's in this forum and I'm sure they'll be adding their welcome when they check in. There are some great guys in here, that are very knowledgable in the Micro Machine area, so if you are into that....you've come to the right place :D

Spring will be here before you know it! PICS (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/2003/01/news20030108.html)

britcit3
01-09-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi Andy - nice to see another Brit.

You can get wave 2 from Hasbro UK direct on.....

http://www.hasbro.co.uk

.....although I personnally now use this US dealer.....

http://www.dnstoys.com/

Even with trans-Atlantic postage, it is way cheaper than buying at UK retail (it's where I'll be getting wave 4 from).

cheers

BC3
http://freespace.virgin.net/james.hobson/index2.htm

AndyW
01-09-2003, 12:12 PM
Thankyou for the welcome to the both of you,I've been browsing the boards since October and it seems to me to have the most accurate info imho,and some smart people who know their stuff,which is always usefull.

Going to check out that wave at hasbro.co.uk,I'd like the At-Te and the snowspeeder,any reason why these toys haven't found their way into stores yet?

good shot jansen
01-09-2003, 12:20 PM
welcome andy! it's always great to have a new poster here! most of us have have been together for quite some time now. we originally started waxing poetically on all things galoob back at galoob's buzz board. when that little slice of heaven was disbanded by hasbro back in '99, we found refuge here at ssg.

i feel your pain over the folks giving your toys the ol' heav ho:frus: , i've recounted my misery here on several occasions regarding the land fill status that my old corgi and dinky toys are now enjoying due to my parents insistance of eliminating all traces of my childhood once i left for college:dead:

we're happy that you've found us!

np: joe walsh - welcome to the club

britcit3
01-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Hi Andy

You can buy wave 2 (AT-TE & others) @ some UK comic shops (l have seen them @ Worlds Apart in Liverpool), but not in ToysRus.

Haven't seen wave 3 ("new" snowspeeder & AT-AT) in UK - got mine from DNS toys as per previous link.

Cheers

BC3

AndyW
01-09-2003, 12:37 PM
Yeah,thinking of using that site with the snowspeeder and at at on,22 dollars thats what £12? (Winces at how crap my maths are)

I'm visiting Liverpool at the end of the month,does this place have a web site?

AndyW
01-09-2003, 01:08 PM
Well...just ordered the snowerspeeder and at at. How much is airfrieght shipping? Gave the instruction to email cost first,so we'll see I guess!

Now just got to track down this At-Te!:D

jeddah
01-09-2003, 01:34 PM
Welcome Andy, your presence further heralds the sea-change going on in Action Fleet land :)

Welcome to our world, whereabouts in the UK are you?

jeddah

AndyW
01-09-2003, 02:00 PM
I come from the midlands,birmingham,originally,and my home is a county west of there called Shropshire,or "The Shire" as we call it :D

Currently at Uni in Cardiff tho.

By the way,what do you mean about sea change in action fleet? I've detected a fair bit of hostility towards hasbro on these forums,I might be wrong,but are people not happy with whats come out so far and whats to come?

jeddah
01-09-2003, 02:29 PM
A sea change inasmuch as we have been - at times - as quiet round here as an Epson printer; forced to make up reasons to post, since the cancellaiton of MMs and AFs and the subjugation of Galoob and later absoption into Hasblo.

Yes, there is a lot of discontent with Hasblo, the lack of stands or figure inclusions (ooooh, but love-ly new boxes :rolleyes: ) but we are now feeding off the scraps they throw us so it's not all bad.... :)

jeddah

sicqnus
01-09-2003, 02:50 PM
Hi Andy,

Welcome.
Great to see new foruMMers every week !
;)

The Wave Three including Acclamator Cruiser (troop transport), Republic Gunship and Jango Fett's Slave One will be available to retail in mid-february. Maybe ActionFigureXpress will have them sooner because they are in Hawaïï (but their shipping rates are for lotery winners).
I agree with BC3, the Action Fleet toys are overpriced in Europe and the best way to purchase them is... overseas! (in fact, cheaper at the other side of the planet than next to your doorstep, even with the shipping charge). Dave Roberts is the man (DNStoys), always mint items and actual shipping charge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No hostility at all Andy, just a kind of lobbying ;) ;)
Ok I must confess I'm a grouser, but I'm also kidding with that. I love the Action Fleets, Micro Machines and I cannot describe what was my joy when I heard Hasbro has decided the rebirth of the line.
As an adult I often forget to look at the toys with my child's eyes (mea culpa, miserere nobis) but I'm a true AF fan and I think these babies are fantastic.

"Hey baby I don't care, keep grousing..." :
Will Smith.:evil: :D :evil:

sicqnus
01-09-2003, 08:12 PM
I said Wave three, it's Wave four. Sorry.:zzz:

AndyW
01-09-2003, 09:12 PM
Mid feb,ahhhhh thats much better to take,thanks for that sicqnus!

I am also loving these new action fleet,I know theres been some groaning about rehashes,which is indeed fair enough,but I need to build up a classic collection from scratch again,so I don't mind at all :) Really am looking forward to the Ep2 ones tho,I'm a modeller at heart,well,I used to be,but now the range of scifi model kits appears to have run dry,no ones releasing any,well certainly not over here anywhere. And I dont seem to have anytime anymore for building models,so I love the action fleet for their ease of use :D

As I said earlier,ordered my snowspeeder and at at from DNS,and I'm waiting to hear what the shipping cost will be.I'm hearing only good things about this guy so far,so I'm feeling positive. Do you think he'll be taking pre orders for this next wave-I need these badly as soon as they come out :D

If we're going to lodge our complaints about it being expensive over here,my sole anger is directed at the Forbidden Planet chain,who years ago used to be cool places with loads of rare stuff,nowadays they seem to be reguarded as sell outs who now charge as much as they can get. When the Jedi Starfighter was first released it was labeled as rare and hot from the US,selling for £40!!!! Toys r us had it two weeks later for £21. Shocking. I can't stress how much this shop winds me up :D

Although,saying that,there is a cute geeky girl that works in the cardiff branch,so me and my mates still go in there at least once a week:D

AndyW
01-09-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by jeddah
A sea change inasmuch as we have been - at times - as quiet round here as an Epson printer; forced to make up reasons to post, since the cancellaiton of MMs and AFs and the subjugation of Galoob and later absoption into Hasblo.

Yes, there is a lot of discontent with Hasblo, the lack of stands or figure inclusions (ooooh, but love-ly new boxes :rolleyes: ) but we are now feeding off the scraps they throw us so it's not all bad.... :)

jeddah

Seems like a busy board though now,which is good.

I know its probably been discussed before but what is it with the mini figures,now as a designer,if I knew from the brief stages that the ships weren't going to take figures,I wouldn't design 'em with moving cockpit hatches and other compartments. But then again I suppose,they were probably told to include them just incase the marketering people decided figs would be good.

Which is nice...

I'll shut up for a bit now :D

britcit3
01-10-2003, 03:16 AM
Hi Andy

Worlds Apart does not have a web site that I am aware of.

If you are looking for it, it is on Lime Street - almost opposite the railway station (next to the old ABC cinema).

Cheers

BC3

sergiurusu
01-10-2003, 04:10 AM
Welcome to this great forum!!

Hawkwind
01-11-2003, 05:43 PM
Welcome to most probably best forum on the net ,also a massively late welcome to sergiurusu ..ive kept fogeting to post for the last 3 months :-(

AndyW
01-12-2003, 06:54 PM
Thankyou for the further welcomes :D