PDA

View Full Version : anakin's episode 2 saber

derek
08-15-2001, 09:42 PM
this is a question that has been tossed around on the old fourms, but thanks to the magic of a dsl connection and the kindness of mr. lucas i have an answer regarding which sabers anakin will be using in episode 2.

i refer all interested to the "making the film, part 4" series on the official site. if you look closely, as anakin is jumping out of his yellow speeder(i presume this during the coruscant chase scene) the bottom part of his saber hilt is visible on his belt. it has the same grips as luke's or vaders did in episode 4(windshield wipers) so we know it will be either the graflex or heiland variety.

then we see anakin twirling around a different saber in a large area with a dirt floor surrounded by bluescreen. here anakin is using a saber similar to adi gallia's. this fits perfectly with spy reports of the arena battle in which anakin and obi-wan use the sabers of fallen jedi after escaping capture.

o.k. i have now watched parts 3 and 5 of "making episode 2" and there are full shots of anakin's saber. it is exactly like vaders heiland saber, but the emitter is chrome colored instead of black.

i'm rather suprised at the "access" these "making of " videos are showing. for someone who is supposidly secritive, lucas is showing a lot.

JediTricks
08-15-2001, 09:45 PM
I don't remember where, but I think, THINK, that Anakin's saber may be similar to Vader's only without the extra dials and clip at the top, and it'll have a green blade. Not sure, but I think I saw that somewhere. That's a good eye ya got there though derek.

bigbarada
08-15-2001, 09:49 PM
I heard that Anakin and Obi-Wan will both use two sabers at once, which would be really cool. :D

the master jedi
08-16-2001, 03:46 PM
I heard that a Jedi will use two sabers at once but I don't think they gave the name(s) of any specific Jedi. If somebody does use 2 sabers at once do you think it will be cooler than Maul using a double bladed saber?

evenflow
08-17-2001, 08:44 AM
I always thought that it was against the jedi code of honor to fight with two sabers. Just always had that feeling?

Jek Porky 2001
08-17-2001, 04:22 PM
Look at Select 56 I think it's that one, with Anakin and Dooku fighting, there is a green blade reflection in the floor.

JediTricks
08-18-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by evenflow
I always thought that it was against the jedi code of honor to fight with two sabers. Just always had that feeling? Playing Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight makes that point in the next-to-last bad guy. If you're on the light path, your Jedi Spirit tells you that it's virtually unthinkable, disgusting even to use 2 lightsabers at once.

BenQuad
08-24-2001, 06:24 PM
Hey JT isn't that just a little EU....... c'mon Luke force chokes in ROTJ, and in Dark Forces 2 that was a dark side move.

I think it would look kinda cool

JediTricks
08-25-2001, 11:55 AM
Yes, it is EU, but it still works for me. "I cannot define this creature named Boc. He is one of the few that actually uses two Lightsabers in battle! He is a crude individual that lacks both tact and teeth. Only a Dark Jedi can he be." - Jedi Master Rahn

As for the Dark Side moves in DF2, if you are true to the light path, you cannot use them after you prove yourself a true Jedi (unless you're using a cheat code ;)).

BenQuad
08-25-2001, 02:04 PM
This was the same game that let you use a light saber underwater. Hmmm... :)

Obi-Don
08-25-2001, 02:08 PM
I have mixed feelings about the use of two lightsabers.On one hand it shows a lot of skill but I think it shows a lot more to use only one and defend off many.As you can tell by this post I should have mixed feelings about my mixed feelings :confused: I like two lightsabers damnit!

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 02:08 PM
Actually Luke used a lightsaber underwater in the Splinter of the Mind's Eye novel, which was published in 1978. So until Ep1, it was possible.

Two lightsabers would be cool just for looks but probably not very practical. I, for one, am hoping the rumours are true. It would be neat to see the good guys being able to do something cool for once.

BenQuad
08-25-2001, 02:13 PM
Actually Luke used a lightsaber underwater in the Splinter of the Mind's Eye novel, which was published in 1978. So until Ep1, it was possible.

My point again.... EU material (though it was a great book all the same).

BenQuad
08-25-2001, 02:22 PM
BTW, I'm not knocking Dark Forces 2 - It was a great game. Spent many hours engrossed in it, when I probably should have been doing something else.... looking forward to the sequel.

bigbarada
08-25-2001, 03:12 PM
Well, not to split hairs or anything, but since the scene where Obi-Wan shorted out his lightsaber in the swamp never actually made it into the final cut of Ep1, then doesn't that make it EU material also?;)

BenQuad
08-25-2001, 05:26 PM
Well, not to split hairs or anything, but since the scene where Obi-Wan shorted out his lightsaber in the swamp never actually made it into the final cut of Ep1, then doesn't that make it EU material also?

But it was filmed and was at some point intended for inclusion. Guess we'll have to wait for the DVD before this issue is canon. :)

JediTricks
08-26-2001, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by BenQuad

But it was filmed and was at some point intended for inclusion. Guess we'll have to wait for the DVD before this issue is canon. :) Nope, sorry, the "Owen Lars is Obi-Wan's brother" scene was also filmed and discarded for ROTJ, as was Adrian Dunbar playing Senator Bail Organa in Ep 1, and we both know how those aren't true anymore.

As for the "underwater" issue, it's because of the invention of a "flashback seal", which is done between Ep 1 and ANH. There were several EU books with a mention of this when Ep 1 first came out.

Magnolia-Fan
08-26-2001, 11:30 AM
Actually,

The "old-school" definition of Star Wars cannon was:

If it was in the movie, movie novelization, or Radio Drama, it is cannon. Anything else is not.

According to that definition, lightsabers DO short out, and Owen IS Obi-Wan's brother.

However, with all the little changes in the prequels (ie I DOUBT Owen and Obi-Wan will be related), I dont know what IS cannon anymore.

Didn't the Jedi Council at wwww.starwars.com answer this question a while back? If so, I cant find it now...

Magnolia-Fan
08-26-2001, 11:37 AM
Found it!

Steve Sansweet says:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences. The novelizations are written concurrently with the film's production, so variations in detail do creep in from time to time. Nonetheless, they should be regarded as very accurate depictions of the fictional Star Wars movies. "

So...would thiis definition make the two Ewok movies cannon?

Jargo
08-26-2001, 11:47 AM
There's a report over at TFN from someone who worked as an extra on the movie (take pinch of salt now) who claims that one of the stunt jedi extras was indeed twirling two sabers as they filmed a bluescreen battle sequence. unless facing two foes as in the case of multiple battle drooids attacking, it would be unneccesary to use two sabers. But as this film is supposed to reflect Lucas' love of old swashbuckling dramas, and Errol Flynn used two swords in many movies, it's fair to assume that at least one of the jedi will use two sabers also. Obi-Wan and Anakin are both powerful Jedi and would be very capable of handling two sabers to deal with two seperate attackers. As this would most likely be in self defence not for attack it can be allowed following the Jedi code. If they were attacking they would be going against the code.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 12:58 PM
Well if Anakin is supposed to go to the Dark Side anyway, then aside from slaughtering innocent Tuskens, the two lightsaber thing would be a cool way to start.

evenflow
08-27-2001, 09:06 AM
Well, if it has to be a Jedi using two sabers, I guess it should be the one who helps bring down the legacy, Anakin.

I still think it is unethical for a Jedi to use two sabers though.

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
Steve Sansweet says:

"When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves - and only the films.
So...would thiis definition make the two Ewok movies cannon? "The films" don't include TV-movies, even those released on the big screen in Europe. Otherwise, eps of the "Droids" cartoon would be canon too since there was a few released as a movie on VHS... and we don't wan that now, do we? ;)

BTW, that quote isn't from Sansweet, it's Sansweet quoting some dude from Lucasbooks.

BenQuad
08-27-2001, 05:19 PM
EU rights and wrongs aside.

Can we just asume, maybe, that the use of 2 sabers is OK to defend yourself if it is really necessary.... like when you got **** loads of "super droids" (or whatever their called) giving you a really hard time.

derek
11-09-2001, 07:35 PM
i brought this up from the dead for all those too lazy to scroll down:)

GNT
11-09-2001, 09:47 PM
I have attached the picture of Anakins lightsaber in AOTC, remember these have been realscanned

Jek Porky 2002
02-19-2002, 12:34 PM
We pretty much all know that in Episode II Anakin will be using 2 different lightsabers in Episode II, but which one is actually his in the first place, the blue one, or the green one?

I'm hoping it's the blue one because I've always wanted to see two Jedi actually using the same coloured lightsaber at once, it gets boring when it's always one with blue and one with green.

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 12:53 PM
It looks like the blue one will be his normal lightsaber (because it appears to be the same one that Luke recieves in ANH) and the green which is also seen in the Unleashed statue of Anakin (which oddly has the hilt Mace had in E1) is probably picked up in the arena because he either forgot his lightsaber, lost his lightsaber (which he could rebuild like Obi-Wan), he was captured and couldn't get his lightsaber or someone took his lightsaber (like in ROTJ).