PDA

View Full Version : any "zwan" fans out here?

derek
01-09-2003, 09:48 PM
ex-smashing pumpkin billy corgan's new band "zwan" just released the first video and single off their up-coming album set for release january 28th.

if you liked the pumpkins, you'll probably like his new band as well. ;) so hop over to zwan.com and check 'em out!

www.zwan.com

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-09-2003, 11:01 PM
Derek- FYI, i'm going to steal that avator for my buddy icon. ;)

I have been a fan of SP since 92-93. I saw Smashing Pumpkins three times during their span (97,99 and 00). I had tickets to the 2nd to last show in Chicago, but my friend sold them (LONG story). Also, the angel (holding the everlasting light) in the Machina book, yeah, i have that tattoed on my back. IF you want me to e-mail you the pic, lemme know.

As for Zwan, I was lucky enough to catch their 12/16/02 show at the Newport in Cols, OH and even though i have a few of their shows on disc, i was still blown away. You can tell that Billy and Jimmy are both having a blast and the sound is just awesome. What SP needed was that third guitar and it's finally here.

One song featured a violin and an instrument, that presumably was a keyboard, but it was set up so it wasn't quite a piano, nor an organ. Case in point: the show was awesome, the music is just phenomenal, it sounds nothing like pumpkins, but exactly what you'd expect from Billy. There was alot of jamming as well. Like one song, "Merry Star and the Sea" i believe, just jammed for like 10 min, i couldn't believe it man!!! Anyway, i can't wait to see what this band is capable of and where they go. I'm counting down the days till that CD is in my grubby little hands.

On a side note,i think it's funny how after MCIS, Pumpkins were ignored. "Adore" was a masterpiece that doesn't get the love it deserves and machina and machina II were just great records. Now that SP is done for and now Zwan is on the helm, the press is back to them. Go figure! Just my thoughts. :D

derek
01-10-2003, 12:09 AM
i think it's funny how after MCIS, Pumpkins were ignored

i think the casual fans bolted when they went "softer". a lot of the casual fans were attracted to songs like "bullet" and "zero", and when they stoped rockin', it hurt sales, not to mention their record company abandoned them. but yea, their last three albums were awesome. it's a shame machina 2 wasn't officially released. hopefully one day it will be remastered and released.

i'm curious to see how the casual fan is going to accept the new band. corgan's voice is so unique that i'm thinking most people are going to have a hard time identifying it with the new band.

i think their new song, "honestly" picks up right where machina 1 left off, and i too can't wait to hear more of their new stuff. here's hoping they come back to texas for a few shows!:cool:

i saw the pumpkins twice in '96, once in '98 and once in '00. i had tickets to another show in '00, but didn't go because the stage lights were horrible. the band had strobes flashing behind them and spotlights shining out towards the audience that totally ruined the whole show. i could barley even see the band.

in '96 i was on the 11th row right in front of the stage. it was the best show i've ever seen. even better than springsteen, and that's saying a whole lot.

EricRG
01-10-2003, 12:15 AM
gish is one of my all-time favorite albums. Siamese is great as well. Mellon Collie is OK, and I didn't care for the rest (except Pisces, which is also great).

I got to see SP 3 times as well...
1) Playing 2nd in a RHCP show that Pearl Jam opened at a hockey rink on gish tour at which they played for about an hour, played only 4 songs, and jammed the hell out of them (mostly Corgan going off with squalls of feedback).
2) In NYC with Swervedriver supporting (any fan of older SP should check them out) on the Siamese tour
3) At Lollapalooza where I was so sick I had to leave while they were playing. :mad: Big regret.

Anyways, I also am looking forward to new stuff from Corgan and hope it's good stuff.

scruffziller
01-10-2003, 07:39 AM
I remember a kid had a Mission To Mars T-Shirt of them back in '93. Was that an album? And if so, how was it?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2003, 07:44 AM
Derek- Oops, i mean to say is that i saw them once in 00 on the S+P Tour. None of us could've seen them in 01', cause if memory serves, they were already split!!! Curse my typing!!! :eek:

I think Corgans voice is definately love or hate it. I think he has a really good voice for the music which he helps create. Like if you stuck his voice over a Radiohead or Phish album, it wouldn't fit. It fits just right for his forte. Yet, there are songs that his "Nasally bullet" (dubbe that in a review I did of machina) get to me. Like "Wound" for example, "You are a part of meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, eternal one" my lord, he voice just wails on it. I can't help but cringe just a bit. hehehehhe

I saw them 97 on the MCIS tour and that show just blew my mind. They opened with TAFH(Turns left, looks right) and it just rocked Cincy. They played mostly MCIS stuff that night, but it was still awesome.

99- They were testing out the new Machina stuff and granted, nobody knew it, i was still having a good time. That tour sold out very quickly (clubs) and Bogarts was a tough place to get into as it was. I nearly soiled myself when i heard "Soma" and "Geek USA" for the first time.

00- Best SP show i've been to, ever. Played alot of Machina, "Crush" off Gish (finally!) and the crown king, "Mayonaise" I still get shivers down my spine listening to that show and hearing that opening note on his guitar and the thunderous roar of the crowd. I also loved how they kinda redid songs like "Blank Page" and "1979" (Jimmy on guitar!) as well. All around great show. Also, being like 8 feet from the stage (pit) really didn't hurt. :)

Lastly, i have an autograph from Mr. Corgan as well. Here's the story: My brother called me up one day in late 2001 and told me. "hey, mike sup little bro?" "fine chris, how's chicago?" "Good good. Say, i met somebody today. Somebody you'd know..." and i'm just half and half listening to him, like "yeah, i meet people too chris, glad to hear you're out there making friends!" he laughs and reples, "no, somebody you'd love to meet" and i just stop. Now, we're from Chicago, Pumpkins are from Chicago, chris lives in chicago and I wanna say Billy, but i don't, cause i know it's who he met. So, i just start naming off musicians i love, "thom yorke?" "nope" "Adam Duritz?" "nope" "Dave matthews?" "nope" "Chris, did you meet Billy?" "Yup, i did!!" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Here's how it went down:
Chris was up shopping at the virgin megastore in downtown Chicago....he was doing his thing and he noticed a very tall man wearing a black winterish hat and really didn't think nothing of it, until he saw a kid go up to him, get an autograph and run off. He looked closer and realized, yeah, that's Billy. Knowing i'm a huge SP fan, he realized that if he met him and didn't get an autograph for me, his number would be up, he goes to Mr. Corgan, introduces himself, says he's a fan (he kinda is, casual fan) and says that "My little brother is a huge fan of the Pumpkins. Has been for many years" and Billy smiles and says Thanks or whatever and chris asks him maybe if he can get an autograph for me. Zing!!! Billy loving his fans (the stories i've herad of this mans generosity are mind blowing) says yeah, sure, no problem, so chris busts out his wallet, looking for a card or something for him to sign. Billy's friend says to my brother, "Dude, is that one of those magic wallets?" Now, i dunno if anybody has seen these things, but they're nutty, they're like two boards and string and when you put something in one part of the wallet, if you move it properly, the location of the item changes to another part of the wallet. So, chris says "yeah, it is" and Billy asks for a demonstration and my brother does it for him and they all have a good chuckle. So, Billy signs the back of my brothers business card, Chris says pleasure to meet you, billy says the same, thanks him and that was that.

Wow, just wow. I had the card pinned to my wall underneath my "Tonight Tonight" poster in columbus for a while, but now since I Moved, it's packed neatly away in my room in Troy. :D

P.S.- i dunno about him finally getting a hot bass player dude!! Paz is a hottie, but Melissa. my lord in heaven. Dave Grohl is one lucky lucky man!! :D

derek
01-10-2003, 07:53 AM
cool story. corgan probably has the best kind of fame. he's rich and somewhat famous to a certain group of people who know his music, but he's not so famous that he can't go out in public. if i had to choose, i'd take his kind of fame anyday over an elvis-type of celebrity status.:)

yea, about '00 vs. '01, i was trying to recall when it was i last saw them. my years may be off as well, but i saw them when they were on tour for MCIS, adore and machina.:)

i'm not up on the music scene. is grohl dating melissa or did she join the foo fighters?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-10-2003, 09:08 AM
From what i last heard, Grohl is dating Melissa. I don't think she'll join Foo any time soon, granted, Pat left, but they already got a bassist. Plus, it's always bad news to put a g/f in the band. Just creates the tension! :D

QLD
01-10-2003, 06:44 PM
I really liked MCIS, and Siamese Dream. I even have the one released in 2000. Though I didn't listen to it much. I will have to give Zwan a try.

Exhaust Port
01-11-2003, 02:25 PM
I just watch the online video. I'm definately intrigued. I was a fan SP fan until Adore. I loved the first 2 albums but it was a slow decline for me after that.

derek
01-11-2003, 02:52 PM
I was a fan SP fan until Adore. I loved the first 2 albums but it was a slow decline for me after that.

just curious, but what was it that turned you off about 'adore"? i'm guessing it was the lack of electric guitars and abscenc of outright rock 'n roll?

EricRG
01-11-2003, 03:11 PM
Well Derek, for me (I know it was EP you actually asked) it seemed to me that Corgan was no longer doing original and influential music. After say Mellon Collie, it no longer sounded "new" to me, even though it was a completely different sound for SP. It seemed too contrived. And I was very disappointed because, as I mentioned above, I was a HUGE fan of the early stuff. I tried VERY hard to like the post-MCIS stuff, but it never turned me on. It didn't really have much to do with "lack of electric guitars and outright RN'R" as I was also into "electronic-based music" like NIN, Ministry and Stereolab at the time.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2003, 05:35 PM
I love adore. It's probably in a tie for #1 fave SP album (along with Siamese Dream). I think it's an album that is severly underrated and didn't get any press, unless it was bashing them due to lack of guitars. It just has so many layers to it and alot of brilliance in it. Just the opening of "To Sheila" hearing those sorta "crickets" in the background, followed by that picking in the middle of the song just takes me back to the summer of 98.

Though i can see why fans wouldn't be favorable to "adore" as well. It's not a typical Pumpkins album at all. To each their own! :D

derek
01-11-2003, 07:11 PM
i really like "Adore" as well. "Behold! The Nightmare" is one of my all time favorite corgan songs.

i can understand fans who liked their first 3 albums being a bit turned off to the last two, but i think corgan was trying real hard not to repeat himself, as he easily could of done. maybe, eric, that's what seemed forced? he writes so many songs he easily could of done like AC/DC has and continue to churn out the same kinds of songs for 30 years, but i respect him for not doing so.

one song he did with ozzy guitarist tony iommi was called Black Oblivian and it really was a good, hard rock song. if he had done more of that stuff he would of been more successful, sales wise.

Emperor Howdy
01-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I was a fan SP fan until Adore. I loved the first 2 albums but it was a slow decline for me after that.

My thoughts exactly. I LOVED Gish and S.D.....then away they went. Comparing old Pumpkins to newer Pumpkins crap is like comparing Master of Puppets to Load.

James Boba Fettfield
01-11-2003, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Comparing old Pumpkins to newer Pumpkins crap is like comparing Master of Puppets to Load.

If you wanted to make me cry, mission accomplished.

Exhaust Port
01-11-2003, 09:54 PM
I really liked MCIS even without the rock-n-roll style found in the first albums throughout the 2 discs. I see it as a completely different style but still apart of the overall SP "work" that I was initially drawn to. I like it but see it as an individual work not in line with the previous. After that I had 2 different SP catalogs that I would chose from: the earlier 2 albums of "rock" and MCIS and its experimental works.

Then along came Adore. I went out and bought it and I listened to it over and over. It didn't fall into either of those 2 groups of SP that I identified with earlier. So here was this new album that I couldn't really place and never really got into it.

I know that videos are a horrible way to judge music but the videos for Adore made me more distant from the SP album. It was just a bit too goofy for me will all the the dark eye liner.

EricRG
01-11-2003, 09:54 PM
Howdy likes early Pumpkins??? You mean we agree on something? ;)

What kind of music does your band play? I'm now curious.

derek
01-11-2003, 10:10 PM
I know that videos are a horrible way to judge music but the videos for Adore made me more distant from the SP album. It was just a bit too goofy for me will all the the dark eye liner.

the pumpkins are my all time favorites, but i've always thought their videos were crappy, except Tonight, Tonight and Ava Adore, which was from the "adore" album. i thought billy looked super creepy in that video, kind of like a vampire(the one from the willem dafoe film). that was the first pumpkins video i thought was really good.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-11-2003, 11:03 PM
Ah, c'mon!!! I love their videos!!! C'mon, seriously, what band/artist likes to do videos?!?!??! Tonight Tonight, 1979, Perfect and Ava adore are all great videos, but i still love all their other ones too. That Smashing Pumpkins Greatest Hits DVD has been played so many times on my player.

And the vampire name you're looking for Derek is Nosferatu. :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2003, 12:10 AM
I just saw a preview for a Zwan video on MTV2's Rock Video Countdown. What struck me was Billy looked normal and happy in it. When the hell did this happen? The last video I ever saw with him in it featured him and his other Pumpkin friends all decked out to look like lifeless beings while some very odd things were occurring in the backgroud. (That video made about as much sense as the video for Until It Sleeps did). It's weird to see that man look normal and smiling. Even when I saw that picture of him with Bozo the Clown in Rolling Stone, Billy looked a little freaky. No offense was meant by any of what I said, as I'm not a follower of their music (as you can probably tell.) I take that back, the Simpsons made Billy look normal too when he was on that. Yeah, anyway.....

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2003, 12:54 AM
JBF- Yeah, when i saw Zwan in cols @the newport, Billy was laughing too!!!! That is one of the things i noticed, how happy he seemed to be. Then again, nearly every time i saw the Pumpkins, they always seemed to be having a good time onstage.

"Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins"
"Homer Simpson, Smiley Politely"

That is one of the best Simpsons episodes, ever. :D

Exhaust Port
01-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Homer - "Yeah I got kicked out of the Audio/Visual club for my political beliefs. Well, that, and I was stealing projectors."

Homer - "Remember, don't trust anyone over 30!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, here's Peter Frampton!"

JMG- It was a great episode. :)

Wolfwood319
01-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
(That video made about as much sense as the video for Until It Sleeps did).

The only part of that video that really stuck with me was when the giant frog swallows that guy. All of 'Tallica videos should just be concert videos, they're always the best anyways, (Sad But True, Roam)

I liked the harder Pumpkins stuff like 'Zero' and 'Bullet' but I don't care for there mellow rock that came after that. I remember seeing them a really long time ago opening for a buddy's band at the Metro, it was a Hard Rock show, and they weren't well received.

I don't like the new Zwan stuff. Not that its bad, just not my cup of tea. Unfortunately they play that stuff constantly here in Chicago on the radio. That's one reason I don't listen to the radio...

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2003, 10:02 PM
I was in McDonald's tonight, and on the 'new rock' station (plays stuff like Tool, Disturbed, etc.) that Honestly song came on the radio after I was done ordering. Someone must have been a fan of Zwan or Billy, because soon after it started the volume on the speakers had been made louder. And remember, tomorrow the video for it will officialy premiere on MTV2 at 6pm I believe it is.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-12-2003, 10:18 PM
There really isn't much to the video, just like the band playing and stuff. It's really kinda "psychadelic" like, i guess the word is. Or you can just head to the website to check out the video early! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-12-2003, 10:24 PM
I already watched it there yesterday. I was just pointing it out in case anyone wanted to catch it on the tube.

Emperor Howdy
01-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by EricRG
Howdy likes early Pumpkins??? You mean we agree on something? ;)

What kind of music does your band play? I'm now curious.

It's weird.....I've been asked that question a million times and still don't have a stock answer. :p We're pretty much a rock band. All original...except for one cover (Happiness is a Warm Gun-Beatles)...ummm.....not really metal at all.....but still hard....at times.....I....errrrr.......I'm so confused. :( You know what? It's like Soundgarden meets Zeppelin meets Skynard meets Sabbath meets the Allman Brothers. :D

Exhaust Port
01-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
It's like Soundgarden meets Zeppelin meets Skynard meets Sabbath meets the Allman Brothers. :D

Now there's a fight I'd pay to see. :D

derek
01-28-2003, 03:06 PM
well, today is the release date for the new ZWAN album.
i had to go to a few different stores, but i finally found the limited cd/dvd set. a best buy employee had to get one out of the back. they only had 10, so i'm guessing he was saving them for his friends. sounds familiar doesn't it? maybe i should of asked him if he had any silver R2-D2's!:D

well, upon a few listens, i'm really disapointed with the quality of music on this cd. i'll always be a billy corgan fan, but i really can't see zwan lasting very long. sure, they have a few catchy songs, but for the most part, smashing pumpkins B-sides are better than this album.

"lyric", "settle down", "honestly" and "yeah!" are the only songs that have any substance to them, and even these leave a lot to be desired. the rest seems like filler, and for most artists, that is the norm, but for a talented writer like billy corgan, an album with just a few good songs on it is a big disapointment. this whole album lacks in catchy riffs, guitars, and the emotion corgan is known for in his song writing. if fans didn't buy "adore" or "machina", i sure can't see the casual fan caring about this album.:(

oh well, i'm sure after ZWAN breaks up in a year or so, billy will release some really good solo records.:cry:

at least we still have BRUCE, right caesar?:sur:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2003, 04:27 PM
Derek- You're killin me smalls!!!! I don't think Smashing Pumpkins could've been this good at the peak of their musicianship. I love each and every tune on this CD and don't even have a fave standout tune yet, though "Jesus I/Mary star of the sea" is getting there. It's prolly one of the only CD's i listened to on repeat for about 6 hours i owned it. There are a few SP-esque tunes, but this CD is all it's own. Never in a million years would SP would've done a tune like "Come with Me" or even "El Sol."

As for lack of emotion and catchiness, i think there is a great deal of emotion here, but the change is corgan is singing it, not shooting it out of his nose ala "Bullet with Butterfly Wings" and "Zero." I can't seem to get enough of this album dude!!! Oh well, to each their own, though i highly recommend giving it a listen before passing judgement on it. It's a GREAT record. Cheers!! :D

EricRG
01-28-2003, 05:39 PM
Just so you know Derek, my brother works at TRU in Albany, NY and he said there was still a CASE of silver R2s back there that simply have never been bought. You might try just inquiring at your TRU...or I could try to work something out with my brother.

derek
01-28-2003, 06:11 PM
thanks, eric, but i was mainly joking.:) i haven't bought a 3 3/4 inch figure in months. i just found it kinda curious that the "limited" zwan cd's weren't on the sales floor with the regular zwan cd.:confused:

Jedi_Master_Guyute,

You're killin me smalls

i've never heard that phrase before. guess i'm really getting old(un-kewl?):)

i'll keep listening to the cd, and i hope i grows on me. i really do want to like these songs. :)

does your cd have different volume levels? kinda like when a band puts out a greatest his cd and is to lazy to re-master every song at the same volume level. on some songs i have to turn the sound up, others, it's too loud.

and the sound quality of "honestly" does not sound so great. the video that is available for download at the official site sounds much more crisp.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2003, 08:36 PM
1. "You're killin' me smalls!" is from the film, "The Sandlot" If you haven't seen the flick nor know people who have, you wouldn't have heard it. No big deal! :D

as for the sound problems, i haven't noticed anything wrong with mine. You might have gotten a bum copy or something. Take it back to the store and exchange it. If it's still wacky, it might be a bad batch. Though, i haven't noticed anything wrong with mine. Hope you enjoy the Cd in time. cheers! :D

2-1B
01-28-2003, 09:13 PM
derek
in '96 i was on the 11th row right in front of the stage. it was the best show i've ever seen. even better than springsteen, and that's saying a whole lot.

see,
at first I dismissed this as innocent blasphemy because you obviously don't know what you're talking about (afterall, you're a fan of Billy Corgan). ;) But then I read this . . .

derek
at least we still have BRUCE, right caesar?

ahem, excuse me - WE ? . . . . WE ? ? ? ? ?
no derek, --I-- have Bruce, you have . . . Billy.
UGH, I knew I should have continued to avoid this thread but I couldn't stay away.
You disappoint me, my friend. :D

But I must say that's a nice Bruce avatar you have there. ;)

derek
one song he did with ozzy guitarist tony iommi was called Black Oblivian and it really was a good, hard rock song.

If by "Ozzy guitarist" you correctly mean "BLACK SABBATH guitarist" then yes it's a good song. :D
The only Billy Corgan related title in my entire collection (but he's not the reason I have it :D ).

derek
01-28-2003, 09:22 PM
burce??? what??? that's NOVALEE NATION!!!:p :p :p

2-1B
01-28-2003, 09:27 PM
Yeah, the ghost of Billy Corgan's career !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Okay, sorry - I'll retreat and allow everyone their discussion. :)
I just had to smash a few pumpkins . . . :crazed:

derek
02-14-2003, 10:59 PM
OK, in all fairness to billy corgan, i'm really liking this album now. it still has it's problems, like vocals that are "mixed too low", meaning the lead vocals are no louder than any other instruments. this is really annoying to me, but something corgan has done on previous albums, and probably turns off the casual listner.

the songs are really catchy after you listen to them and get to know them, but probably won't appeal to many new fans, which is why the album dropped out of the top 20 after only a few weeks, which so far, means that zwan has only appealed to die hard pumpkin fans.

i just think the general public dosen't "get" billy's version of pop music. i just hope the poor record sales don't keep him from releasing future albums.

jjreason
02-17-2003, 09:25 PM
No real exposure to Zwan yet, save a few soundbites of their first single. Not too bad. I got to see the Pumpkins close Lollapalooza just as the hype for Siamese Dream was dying down, they looked a little burned out. Beastie Boys tore the house down right before Billy and co. took the stage, so that was a tough act to follow for sure (Ill Communication was still brand new, they were totally on. Great show, but a different story). Corgan called Canada the 51st state during one of his (longwinded) in song soliloquays to the audience. They were having sound difficulties - equipment not generating any sound. Corgan promised to "Bring the ******* metal!", but the equipment failed him. People were petering out during their set. Kind of sad, since they were the headliners.

The first two Smashing Pumpkins albums are really tied in to my young adulthood - 1992 was a great year to be 20, in terms of good music to excorcise demons. "Gish" represents a breakup, "Siamese Dream" the subsequent reconcilliation. Nearly 8 years of marriage and 2 kids later, things have worked out for the best. I might go buy this Zwan record as a kind of reflective gesture.

derek
04-12-2003, 01:39 PM
incase anyone is interested, ZWAN will be on saturday night live tonight!

2-1B
04-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Well, it can't be any worse than last week's guests, Good Charlotte. :rolleyes:

:crazed:

Can we place bets on how morose and whiny Billy will be? :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-12-2003, 04:18 PM
Ray Romano's hosting, he can't be the Billy we know normally, but the Billy we all saw with Bozo the Clown. Anyone else remember that?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, that was awesome seeing billy w/ Bozo.

Derek, i caught Zwan in cleveland back in late March, awesome show dude!!! Also, got tickets today for their show in Cincy on may 3rd!! Hee!! They rock live dude, i highly suggest you check them out. Cheers!! :D

derek
04-12-2003, 06:50 PM
They rock live dude, i highly suggest you check them out

i'm seeing them on monday, and maybe tuesday or wednesday!:cool: as long as the stage lights are better than they were on the machina tour, i'll be super happy. billy's never let me down in concert. of course he's no bruce, right caesar?;) :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2003, 12:31 AM
Awww, what a good two song performance they did. I liked them better performing on here than I did when they were on Letterman. That Paz gal, wow, what was up (I mean up) with those shorts.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-13-2003, 12:32 AM
I dunno dude, but Mikey liked it........very good performance...billy is such a smooth criminal....i want a hat like that.....too bad he wasn't in a skit...last time he was there w/ the Pumpkins, he was in a skit for a few seconds, it was funny. but i digress. cheers!! :D

derek
04-13-2003, 08:44 AM
i thought the second song they did, "settle down" or as billy was prouncing it, "Zettle zown":confused: was great. billy's vocals on "lyric" were way to low. it almost felt like he was singing without a microphone, but then again, the whole album kinda sounds that way.;) i prefer lead vocals to be LOUD!!! :happy:

2-1B
04-13-2003, 11:04 PM
UGH.

I was gone last night, so I taped the show . . .and believe me, it was tempting to keep the FF button going right on through the Zwan segments. :D

I gave it a shot, and I thought the music was actually alright! :) However, they need a new singer. :rolleyes: Sure, Billy can play guitar, no doubt there - but man do I hate the way he sings.

Oh well, it could have been worse - he could have squeezed out the classic "I used to be a little boyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy" or the ever-feminine "Nineteen-Seventy Niiiiiiine" and the other "uhh-ohhhhh" sounds. :D

You're right derek, he's no Bruce . . . he's not even a better singer than Nils Lofgren - which is saying a lot for me since I really don't like how Nils sings. :crazed:

Jaymz, I agree - what's up, shorts ? :p

James Boba Fettfield
04-13-2003, 11:08 PM
I got-...no, I won't say anymore. I told Guyute what I thought about it, let's say no more about the shorts.

derek
04-13-2003, 11:49 PM
I gave it a shot, and I thought the music was actually alright! However, they need a new singer. Sure, Billy can play guitar, no doubt there - but man do I hate the way he sings

you're right there caesar. billy is definately an aquired taste. i'm convinved that those who do like him, overlook his shortcomings as a singer due to his overall musical ability. springsteen is a lot like this, in my opinion, he just sings a little better, but neither have what are known as "good voices". but i'll take genuine artists like billy or bruce anyday over some "american idol" type of singer.............;) ya know, one who has a great voice but contributes nothing to the music.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2003, 12:01 AM
Eh, plus, i can't think of a Smashing Pumpkins or Zwan TV performance that even compared to their live shows. The only one i can think of that is my fave is the "Perfect" performance outside of Letterman in like 98, that was awesome. Billy always seems nervous on TV, but he sounds alot better live, trust me. Cheers!! :D

2-1B
04-14-2003, 12:02 AM
I know what you mean derek. :)
With Billy's singing, it's just a matter of taste for me. You mentioned Bruce, and I certainly won't argue that he isn't the best "technical" singer or whatever.

And since we're talking about Bruce, Nils, and E Street, I'll mention Steven Van Zandt - probably a terrible singer! :D But I just find it so funny how he sings, and I enjoy it.

With Billy, it's just not my taste. I don't deny that he's talented though, that's for sure.

2-1B
04-14-2003, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
Eh, plus, i can't think of a Smashing Pumpkins or Zwan TV performance that even compared to their live shows. The only one i can think of that is my fave is the "Perfect" performance outside of Letterman in like 98, that was awesome. Billy always seems nervous on TV, but he sounds alot better live, trust me. Cheers!! :D

Just FYI, I'm not basing my dislike of Billy on only his TV appearances. I've heard most of the albums (not Zwan, though) so my opinion on this goes back a decade or so. No, I've not seen them live, nor will I ever do so - I'd rather have several pumpkins smashed over my head. :D

Well, who the hell is that White Stripe guy? Jack Stripe? Jack White? :D And his ex-wife is the drummer?
I like Zwan better than them and I even like Billy's singing more than Jack's (if that makes you feel better, derek :D ).
Who else? The Hives and Vines, wretched groups like those . . . I'd take Zwan over them any day.
Oh, and (no offense JMG) Phish as well - I'll take Zwan over them too. :crazed:

The more I think about it, the more I like Zwan. Relatively speaking, of course. :crazed:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2003, 12:42 AM
lol Yeah, no worries Caesar, i was just stating that Billy & Co's TV performances usually suck. No worries! :D

I must agree with you on the White Stripes, i truly hate them. In fact, i can't stand the vines nor Hives or anything along that realm. I don't see what's so nifty about them, at all. Maybe people just need "rebel" music back in the scene again???!?

As for Phish, they're DEFINATELY an acquired taste. I haven't met a single person who is in between when it comes to them, they either love them or truly hate Phish. They still put on some of the best live shows i've ever witnessed.

But yes, keep naming bands that suck so you may love the Zwan....that's how we keep getting more fans...muahahhahahhahahahahhaa!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-14-2003, 12:49 AM
Zwan's just a bunch of depressed has beens.

I mean come on, if Zakk Wylde and Billy Corgan had a fight, who would win? Thus, the battle of the bands argument is settled. Zakk "Where's my beer, *****?!"Wylde is the winner.

I kid, I kid, I'm just mocking what someone else once said here.

2-1B
04-14-2003, 11:34 PM
As for Phish, they're DEFINATELY an acquired taste. I haven't met a single person who is in between when it comes to them, they either love them or truly hate Phish.

That's been my experience, too. I have a few friends who love Phish, I have other friends who hate Phish, yet I know of no one who is on the fence about them. :D
Same goes for Dave Matthews Band, of whom I am also NOT a fan . . . but as much as I hate them, I have some friends who absolutely love Dave and the band. :)

But yes, keep naming bands that suck so you may love the Zwan....that's how we keep getting more fans...muahahhahahhahahahahhaa!!

Okay, in that case I'll refer you to Dave MAtthews Band. :D :D :D

Serious question here, how did they get the name Zwan?
What does it mean? Is it supposed to just be swan with a Z sound?
derek mentioned Billy saying "zettle zown" . . . so what does Zwan mean ? :)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2003, 11:44 PM
Caesar- as for me, i dunno where they got the name Zwan, but according to the band, there are two different incarnations of the band.

There is Zwan- the electric rocktacular band that comes to your town and rocks!!

hehehehhehe

Then there is the Daijli Zwan, which is purely an acoustic part of the group. I believe the band wrote different material for this section of the Zwan Era, and plan to tour as the Dajili Zwan later in the year.

And i used to love the Dave Matthews Band, went to everyone of their shows in the Ohio area since 96, but 2002 was my last show. The band just isn't that great anymore. "Everyday" was horrible and they tried to remake "The Lillywhite Sessions" ( best work to date, which got canned for "Everyday") and make into the emotionless "Busted Stuff." And what's the deal with them not making new albums that much?!! It's always live crap now!!! So, i retired my DMB CD/live show collection.

On to bands who have talent and are about the music, like Zwan, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, etc.

Cheers!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
04-15-2003, 12:37 AM
On to bands who have talent and are about the music, like Zwan, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Metallica, Motorhead, Iced Earth, Hatebreed, In Flames, etc

I agree with your statment completely, dude. 100%!