PDA

View Full Version : A penchant for cyborgs



Fulit
01-10-2003, 02:09 PM
Couldn't they just have picked up Anakin's arm and popped the two into a bacta tank for a few hours? Seems to me they don't even try to re-attach limbs in the SW galaxy, they just stick on a prosthetic. :( I wish I had a cool robotic arm.

Beast
01-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Not if you consider that the lightsaber actually cuts and fuses things at the genetic level. Remeber, it doesn't give off heat, it actually vibrates the materials it passes thru so fast that it disrupts them and that vibration is what causes the heat. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Chiesa
01-10-2003, 05:13 PM
Confused! I'm sorry I don't really see the link with not being able to use bacta and the part abt a lightsabre fusing the arm. You mean once cut with the area hit by the sabre fusing cannot be saved by bacta?

Beast
01-10-2003, 05:45 PM
The two ends of the wound are dead, all the cells and the nerve endings are destroyed when the lightsaber cuts thru the flesh. So saving and re-attaching the two parts becomes impossible. Now, if they wanted to cut back the dead tissue on both ends, maybe they could save the arm.

But even if that would be possible, the result would be that one limb was shorter then the other. Just look at Vader's head in ESB and ROTJ, those appear to be slashes from a lightsaber. So Obi-Wan probably has similar wounds on his leg and arm from Dooku's saber that never really healed. :)

So it's easier to just go with the more advanced mechanical replacement parts for lightsaber injuries. I'm sure in less serious instances, the limb could be re-attached medically. But the trilogy never shows how advanced medicine really is. Other then Bacta and Cybernetic replacement parts. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
01-10-2003, 07:24 PM
You know, because all this information about exactly how a lightsaber does damage is readily available on the movie screen itself. :rolleyes:

Your question was good and valid one, Fulit, and has no good onscreen-based answer. :)

Beast
01-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Of course it's not up on the movie screen Stillakid, what do you expect Lucas to do. Just suddenly stop the movie and walk out with charts and diagrams that explain every little thing away. I thought that you were against explaining things, ala Midiclorians. The information is out there though. :rolleyes: :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-10-2003, 09:36 PM
I guess I would go with the cauteriztion throey as well, since that is what they pretty much say in the books (which in my opinion are more canon than the perquels).

But you would think medicinewould have advanced enough to re-attach it.

stillakid
01-10-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Of course it's not up on the movie screen Stillakid, what do you expect Lucas to do. Just suddenly stop the movie and walk out with charts and diagrams that explain every little thing away. I thought that you were against explaining things, ala Midiclorians. The information is out there though. :rolleyes: :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

But the Force was explained. Quite well in fact in The Empire Strikes Back. One of the penultimate sequences of the saga. The Midi's didn't "explain" anything, except that Anakin was somehow chock full of Force ability or something. Once again, another of your "proofs" is flawed.

The original question was a reasonable one in light of the Bacta Tank which seemingly is able to heal wounds. Why Luke would be fitted with a mechanical hand based on what we SEE and HEAR in the movie theater is a good question.

Yeah, the information is out there, but if audiences are suddenly required to study everytime they decide to go to see a movie, then there's something seriously wrong with the creative process.

Fulit
01-10-2003, 10:45 PM
And the deeper questions are ones we'll likely never see answered.

Can he crush a beer can with it?
and
Does the feel of that cold metal creep Padme out?

Beast
01-10-2003, 10:56 PM
No answer about how strong the mechanical hand is. But likely atleast as strong or stronger then a typical human hand.

And Padme's wearing a leather dress, and in love with a guy with emotional problems. I don't think the metal arm/hand freaks her out. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthvyn
01-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

Your question was good and valid one, Fulit, and has no good onscreen-based answer.

in his graphic novel "understanding comics" scott mccloud says that the story is really told inside the heads of the reader, creating parallels between static images to form a narrative (in comics, anyway...) i assert that the same holds true for movies, in that there's a lot of story that isn't shown, yet it can be inferred by the context...


Originally posted by stillakid


The original question was a reasonable one in light of the Bacta Tank which seemingly is able to heal wounds. Why Luke would be fitted with a mechanical hand based on what we SEE and HEAR in the movie theater is a good question.


his hand fell hundreds of feet, and probably more so into the center of the gas giant planet... i think it's gone, so therefore he needed a replacement. maybe if they had been able to save it, it could've been reattached in the bacta tank. after all, have YOU seen bacta in the prequels? i haven't... if the technology isn't there yet, then they can't reattach an arm, even if it's just sitting there.

tgr3328
01-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Yes, they have bacta in the preprel era, but I know that from the books, not the movies.

The Overlord Returns
01-13-2003, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Yeah, the information is out there, but if audiences are suddenly required to study everytime they decide to go to see a movie, then there's something seriously wrong with the creative process.

Yes, but there is a huge difference between "audiences" and star wars fanboys. You're not going to hear a random movie goer asking the questions you find here.

We over analyze...........we're the problem.

stillakid
01-13-2003, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Yes, but there is a huge difference between "audiences" and star wars fanboys. You're not going to hear a random movie goer asking the questions you find here.

We over analyze...........we're the problem.

True...true. In the case of Bacta vs Lightsaber damage, you're entirely correct. It's an "issue" that doesn't impact heavily on the plotline if at all and likely wouldn't phase the majority of fanboys and non-fanboys alike.

But, in terms of other things that do have impact on continuity, say, like the Qui Gon Jinn introduction, I've heard many "non-fanboys" wonder about that. Granted, their curiosity has a half-life of about 5 seconds, but the fact that the problem is so obvious that even non-fanboys have noticed inspires the question concerning pre-movie cramming and/or the post-viewing search for answers. If a filmmaker chooses to contradict his own continuity so egregiously, it's also his responsibility to explain it on-screen, or risk a very much earned harsh critique. I don't care what movie we're talking about, Star Wars or otherwise.

We (well, in the case of Qui Gonn, I :rolleyes: ) are "overanalyzing," but I like to think that it's a testament to just how much I admire the storyline in it's "theoretical" form that I'm willing to step outside my own "fanboy worship" :rolleyes: for a few seconds to acknowledge that there just might be a problem or two. Like I said, non "fanboys" might ask the question, but are more likely to just write the movie off and go see something else.

I don't know, but if it were me (as the Director/Writer), I'd somehow care about what the "non-fanboys" are thinking. But I suppose that when you're ranked 127 on the Forbes list of wealthiest people (http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2002/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2002&passListType=Person&uniqueId=PNOV&datatype=Person) ($3.0 Billion), you don't really have to give a rat's a@@. ;)

stillakid
01-13-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by darthvyn

his hand fell hundreds of feet, and probably more so into the center of the gas giant planet... i think it's gone, so therefore he needed a replacement. maybe if they had been able to save it, it could've been reattached in the bacta tank. after all, have YOU seen bacta in the prequels? i haven't... if the technology isn't there yet, then they can't reattach an arm, even if it's just sitting there.

Good point! Thanks for reminding me of that. :) I was wrong in my above statement when I referred to that sequence.

True, we haven't seen Bacta in the Prequels and frankly, that medical process hasn't really been a major player in any of the continuity of the story. Empire could have gotten along just fine without it.

But it has been established in the Saga. While you are 100% correct in saying that we haven't seen it in the Prequels so there's no proof that it exists yet (in the story), my own personal feeling is that that is a fairly weak defense if someone wants to justify Anakin not getting his limbs reattached. Of course, we don't exactly know how Bacta works beyond there being a big tank with lots of bubbles nor if it would do any more that just make scabs vanish faster. It might be strong enough to do a limb, it might not be.

But that's the whole point, though. We have no way of knowing any of it... onscreen . :)

The Overlord Returns
01-13-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by stillakid

I don't know, but if it were me (as the Director/Writer), I'd somehow care about what the "non-fanboys" are thinking. But I suppose that when you're ranked 127 on the Forbes list of wealthiest people (http://www.forbes.com/finance/lists/10/2002/LIR.jhtml?passListId=10&passYear=2002&passListType=Person&uniqueId=PNOV&datatype=Person) ($3.0 Billion), you don't really have to give a rat's a@@. ;)

I reckon when 80 some odd % of "movie goers" (lets say 15 - 20% of those are "fanboys") are polled after the film as having enjoyed it, you become less worried about what the "non obsessed fan" is thinking about plot issues.

Not a single one of my friends who aren't SW fanboys questioned things in the prequels that we do here...they either enjoyed the movie as a whole. or the didn't. We're the ones who go nuts over these things. I think it's us that the writer and director is less concerned about, with good cause,.

stillakid
01-13-2003, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
they either enjoyed the movie as a whole. or the didn't.

I understand what you're saying. :) I don't know if that 80% is accurate or not, but most "non-fanboy" types that I know and have asked haven't really been overly "thrilled" with Ep I or II. In my own unofficial polls, those that hated TPM didn't even bother to watch II, so any larger samples of AOTC viewers are going to be skewed toward those who weren't as bothered by Ep I in the first place. See where I'm going with that?

For the most part, those that say they liked AOTC either A) really liked it, or B) answered the question as a comparison to TPM. Even I admit that AOTC was better than Episode I, but that doesn't preclude any notions of crying mayday where applicable.

But as you said, those "non-fanboy" types aren't apt to deconstruct the reasons behind them not liking it (or liking it, for that matter). They're just happy with that visceral thrill (or opposite). As long as George can dish out some superficial eye candy, the lowest common denominator will always shell out their $8 bucks and walk away entertained.

But...shouldn't he strive to be better than that?