PDA

View Full Version : Seven Day Adventist

Gungan Warrior
01-10-2003, 07:10 PM
How many Seven Day Adventist are out there?

Patient Zero
01-17-2003, 12:06 PM
Honest question (not being sarcastic for once).

How is a 7th Day Adventist different from all of the other Bible based religions? It just seems to me that they are all worshipping different aspects of the same idea. What is the difference at play here?

sith_killer_99
01-17-2003, 12:22 PM
The New Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 10, 15th Edition 1993

Seventh-day Adventist, member of the largest organized modern denomination of Adventism, a millennialist Christian sect founded in the United States in the 19th century.

The new Encyclopaedia Britannica Volume 1, 15th Edition 1993

Adventist, member of any group of Protestant Christian churches arising in the United States in the 19th century and distinguished by their docrinal belief that the personal, visible return of Christ in glory (i.e., the Second Coming) is close at hand. Adventism is rooted in Hebrew and Christian prophetism, messianism, and millennial expectations recorded in the bible.

I had to look it up.;)

BTW, I was raised Roman Catholic, but never confirmed.

James Boba Fettfield
01-17-2003, 12:27 PM
I remember being confirmed. Very bad experience for me.

stillakid
01-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Adventist, member of any group of Protestant Christian churches arising in the United States in the 19th century and distinguished by their docrinal belief that the personal, visible return of Christ in glory (i.e., the Second Coming) is close at hand. Adventism is rooted in Hebrew and Christian prophetism, messianism, and millennial expectations recorded in the bible.

So, they started at the end of the 19th Century expecting the worst.

They've gone for another century expecting the worst.

Now they have to wait another millenia to expect the worst.

What a strange (and time consuming) thing to base a religion on. :confused:

sith_killer_99
01-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Actually the religion is based on Christianity.

They just believe the Second coming will be around the millenium.

BTW, why would the return of Jesus be considered "the worst"? I thought it was man's own doing leading up to the end that was the worst.

So techincally, they believe we are living "the worst" and that Jesus will arrive and save those who are worthy.

:confused: :crazed: :confused:

Religion is never simple.

Patient Zero
01-17-2003, 03:34 PM
So if Jesus comes out on the millenium and sees his own shadow we will have another millenium to wait. What kind of wacked calendar is he working off of??? I can't believe that I just used the work 'wacked' in a sentence. Yo! :crazed:

stillakid
01-17-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Actually the religion is based on Christianity.

They just believe the Second coming will be around the millenium.

BTW, why would the return of Jesus be considered "the worst"? I thought it was man's own doing leading up to the end that was the worst.

So techincally, they believe we are living "the worst" and that Jesus will arrive and save those who are worthy.

:confused: :crazed: :confused:

Religion is never simple.

I was reducing my summary to the basest form of language with full knowledge of the multiple interpretations, but I understand everything that you're getting at.

The point was...ah, just forget it. I think Ghost of Jonna summed it up pretty well. Religion is VERY simple. A set of rules designed to make a mass of people behave with the threat of eternal damnation held over them if they don't. Or as I like to call it, the "Santa Claus" syndrome.

Gungan Warrior
01-17-2003, 08:56 PM
Seven Day Adventist Believe there is a second coming. We don't know when the second comin will approach but by the signs in the bible it is close. I don't remember the text but no man knoows the day or the hour. Seven Day Adventist follow the laws for clean food, what foods to eat( bad food pork, unscaled fish,its in the bible). You habe to be careful. Theres Seven DAY Adventists and there are just plain adventist. We believe that the dead is dead that means there aren't such tings as ghost. When a person dies the breath of life returns to GOD. You have to remember two things make up the soul, there's the breath of life and the body. There are only 3 people in heaven according to the bible. Elijah, Moses, and Enoch. I think I spell the name right. If you need any proof of any of my statements you guys know were to find me :D

derek
01-17-2003, 09:34 PM
When a person dies the breath of life returns to GOD. You have to remember two things make up the soul, there's the breath of life and the body. There are only 3 people in heaven according to the bible. Elijah, Moses, and Enoch.

so, you believe when one dies, that's it, no afterlife? or will the person be brought back to life when christ establishes his kingdom on earth?

2-1B
01-17-2003, 09:41 PM
My favorite part of the fish is it's scales. :(

Gungan Warrior
01-19-2003, 08:10 PM
When Christ comes the dead will arise first. then the people that are alive durning the second coming will go next.

stillakid
01-19-2003, 11:48 PM
So, do you guys only really get nervous at the end of the century? It's been two now with no real apocalyptic occurances in sight. What do you guys do in the meantime for the next 99 years? Or isn't the "event" based on our western calendar?

Beast
01-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Just be careful once the dead do arise. That's when they start hunting down the living for their delicious brains. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
01-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Man, that's along time to wait for a second coming. I hated waiting so many years for the new SW movies to come out. I hate waiting in line for a cheeseburger, even. :frus:

The Overlord Returns
01-20-2003, 01:53 PM
Don't hassle the dead, boys..... They have eerie powers.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 02:33 PM
Most of the information I have on Seventh-day Adventist comes from my study of "Cults and Sects in the United States" a class I took in college.

The primary text for the class was "The Kingdom of the Cults" by Walter Martin Revised, Updated and Expanded Anniversary Edition, October 1997.

Very informative, the book covers such cults and cult topics as:

Jehovah's Witnesses
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the Mormons)
Christian Science
The Theosophical Society
Buddhism
The Baha'i Faith
The Unification Church
Scientology (way to go L. Ron you made it;) )
The Apocalyptic Cults (to include Seventh-day Adventist)
The Cults of the World Mission Field
The Word Faith Movement
The Puzzle of Seventh-day Adventism
Islam: The Message of Mohammed
Unitarian Universalism

Interestingly most of these cults have sprung from the United States, and many of them around 100 or so years ago.:crazed:

Gungan Warrior
01-20-2003, 06:07 PM
The Seveth-Day Adventist ARE NOT a cult

Beast
01-20-2003, 06:22 PM
Depends what you consider a cult. Technically any group that worships someone or somthing and has rules and laws of behavior could be considered a cult. Hell, Star Wars collectors could be considered a cult. We congrigate together on websites and discuss our beliefs. According to Merriam Webster, any religion falls under the definition of a cult. :p :)

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: 'k&lt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
Date: 1617

1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks