PDA

View Full Version : My Creature Cantina Diorama

JediDBM
01-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Ok everybody, I know my diorama is somewhat elementary in appearance, but I did the best I could do from my friends basement. This is where all of my stuff is stored, but I have seen some very cool dioramas here and had to put something together while I took the second round of pictures of my collection.

JediDBM
01-11-2003, 09:20 PM
Here is a larger, second picture taken of my Cantina diorama

sith_killer_99
01-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Interesting, it looks like you have some POTF2, POTJ, Saga, Vintage and a few customs thrown in for good measure.

Do you have the Cantina with Sandtrooper? That would make an excellent little diorama.

JediDBM
01-11-2003, 09:25 PM
I used the Cantina playset to display my customized figures. A pair of relatives of Bossk. A couple of Rodians, a black armored version of Boba Fett, and a Twi'lek that sits on the Imperial Senate, and the prize of my painted collection, a Blue Snaggletooth. All original colors, just re-done.

JediDBM
01-11-2003, 09:32 PM
Hey Sith_killer all I have left of that catina is the figure, cardboard got wet (ruined from ceiling leak, bummer) :(

Darth Sidious
01-11-2003, 10:46 PM
We likes it! We likes it very much! It is an interesting and different approach to the cantina. :)

JediDBM
01-12-2003, 09:54 AM
Thank you for the compliments, I had never even given it a second thought. Mixing figures from different productions (vintage, POTF, Saga) and yes I did throw a few customs in there. That is why I made the custom figures, space filler. Now if I could figure out the head swapping thing, I would have fun experimenting with different Jedi, and different X-wing pilots. :crazed:

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-12-2003, 11:51 AM
That custom Boba Fett is awsome!

JediDBM
01-12-2003, 02:21 PM
Thank you, my nephew has been trying to convince me that I should give it to him, I would feel much better about myself if I just gave him my custom painted Boba Fett.

OC47150
01-13-2003, 05:07 PM
Ah, the vintage cantina playset. I have one of those sitting on display at home with alien patrons. Cool set.

JediDBM
01-13-2003, 05:38 PM
Thank you OC47150, The vintage cantina is still my favorite. Wish Hasbro wuld re-do something like that one, and NOT out of cardboard!!! Hello, kids toy, cardboard they just dont mix

OC47150
01-14-2003, 08:28 AM
My cantina set is pretty much intact. I'm missing the one piece that "shoots" figures down.

I have my original Death Star on display, too.

JediDBM
01-14-2003, 10:10 AM
I have two of the original death star playsets, I used to have them sit side by side with a few make shift bridges joining them together. This is not my first creature cantina, but my third. Have no idea what happened to my first one, lost in a move I'm sure, second one was the cardboard diorama from Walmart, what a waste! Made of cardboard, first time my ceiling leaked during a heavy rain, it was toast, so I bought this one on ebay to replace the original that I lost. Check on ebay for vintage cantina, a lot of times people sell partial playsets or just pieces of a playset, you might get lucky. :)

OC47150
01-14-2003, 10:15 AM
I removed the turbo laser cannon from the Death Star and turned it into the Emperor's room. Luke and Vader are fighting, and the Emperor is off to the side, laughing!!

I never thought about two DSs and connecting them. Very cool idea.

A buddy of mine picked up a DS playset at the flea market a couple of years ago for $25 - $40. It had everything except for the foam trash.

JediDBM
01-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Wish I could pick up another vintage Death Star for between $25 - $40, I would like to buy four of them to put in a half circle, I have come up with a few more ideas to (eventually) give my Death Star a little more realistic look as far as the floor of a Death Star. Came to me in a dream (LOL) I am going to use (square foot) black vinyl floor tiles to make a floor for my Death Star Diorama, or maybe even call it the landing pad or hanger for my tie fighters. Also planning on buying sand colored floor tiles to make the cantina diorama look larger. May even try to cover over the orange plastic floor of the cantina itself to make it all uniformed. We will see...

OC47150
01-14-2003, 04:55 PM
I spray painted a piece of pressboard black for the base. It's OK but it shows up dust.

JediDBM
01-14-2003, 05:08 PM
I tried that when I had everything set up, even tried using a piece of glass, spray painting the back side (that was pretty cool looking) to give it a"shiny floor" appearance. This is making me crazy talking about my "new" ideas and reading what everybody else has done, I want to get my stuff out of storage and re-build my dioramas!!! VERY frustrating... :crazed:

OC47150
01-15-2003, 08:35 AM
Have you thought of glossy paint on a piece of foam core? I did a Naboo diorama using the STAPs, Qui Gon, Obi-Wan and Jar Jar. I painted the board green and added the fake grass from flower arrangements for bushes. It doesn't look too bad.

JediDBM
01-15-2003, 10:31 AM
Very cool idea, that sounds like it could also be used for the Forest moon of Endor.

OC47150
01-15-2003, 11:00 AM
It's a good base to start with, plus it's cheaper than wood.

I've been toying with a battle of Naboo diorama and was going to try like astro-turf/fake grass but I might go with the floral arrangement grass again. The grass is only $1 at places like Big/Odd Lots.

187-Maul
01-15-2003, 12:14 PM
a bit late to chime in, but I think the diorama/display looks pretty cool, nice use of the old playset

JediDBM
01-15-2003, 01:20 PM
It is never too late to chime in, do you have any suggestions for materials to use to build a diorama? hey I've got an idea for another thread!!! Please, I would hope that you and OC47150 will contribute.