PDA

View Full Version : What's With All The Rehashes And Poor Distribution Hasbro!

DarthBrandon
01-11-2003, 09:22 PM
I have been collecting and customizing Star Wars figures longer than most of your employees have held a job there (25+ years). My problem is that I have become very displeased with all the rehashes, bad sculpts, and stupid gimmicks of certain characters in the S.W. universe, mainly Maul, Jango, Tyranus, Obi-Wan, and Master Windu for example.

Maul IMO was a great looking character until you guys produced him enough times to make his own mother even sick of the poor guy.

Jango, if there ever was a cool looking Bounty Hunter, he was it until you got hold of him. In less than a year we managed to have him produced at least five times too many even for die-hard collectors like myself. (i.e. Jango deluxe/K.E./F.B./S.P./Jango Pilot and now I hear there is another deluxe on the way. Geeze the first deluxe was horrible and I'm sure this one will not be that much better. Gimmicks DO NOT WORK DO NOT WORK with kids or collectors alike. I know because I have a four-year that hates them and I being the collector makes part two. The only Jango I'm sure people are waiting to see (JarJarBinks and company) is Jango in apartment jammies with his armor as accessories.

Darth Tyranus has been done enough, you really can't make him any different than the first one except to change the cape and his Darth Sidious holo to a Sith lightning accessory. Waste!

Obi-Wan only needed to be done once IMO with a cloth or soft plastic robe and a removable headset. That would have done it for many including myself. Now we have a new Obi-Wan Acklay Battle coming out that is basically the same as the first one but instead of a lightsaber he gets a spear. Nice one for all the dummies out there who are not paying attention. Duh!

Mace in my opinion has been one of the worst figures you guys (Hasbro) have ever made except for maybe the deluxe version. He never in any scene has his mouth open like he is about to eat a hamburger or about to have a movement. If you get my drift. I'm sure that Samuel Jackson is not too fond of this figure either and I'm sure that Mace Arena Confrontation could have been done a lot better without the use of some plastic ball on his back. yuck!
What's with the African American figures getting a bad look?

I also see the Unleashed Vader/ Anakin is due out this Year. My question is Why? We just had Vader Unleashed who in my opinion is vastly superior to the new one. Try to come up with an idea that suits the scene of the film for gods sake and spread them out. Vader never has his lightsaber drawn in the meditation chamber or that silly pose you have him in. I know you guys think we need core characters all the time and sometimes we do, but back-to-back has never worked for many others and me. Leia was a good choice, but hey I would have rather had a Clone Commander (yellow) rather than Vader in the chamber. Also Please remember this Padme is not big in the upper portion of her body if you catch my drift.

Many collectors have stopped buying a lot of your product for certain reasons Hasbro, here are some of the reasons: Bad sculpts, rehashes after rehashes, poor distribution, exclusives to stores that only cover certain areas of the world and very very stupid gimmicks. If my four year old won't play with them for that reason, then I will buy him the toys he likes.(i.e. Marvel Legends, LOTR, GI JOE, and Batman figures) Granted LOTR figures do have some gimmicks, but being larger in size they do not hurt the figure in any way. Marvel Legends you could learn a lot from here.(i.e. sculpt, paint, articulation, knees arms that bend, no wide leg poses and NO gimmicks)

I have spent more money than I need to say on Star Wars toys in the past, but now I just buy if they meet the requirements that I am looking for. (Described many times above) I will say this, the highlight of 2002 for me was the Republic Gunship, it was IMO one of the best ships ever produced by you guys. It's right up there with my vintage Shuttle, yes I did say vintage. Anything that's exclusive, overpriced, and overrated, as the new Shuttle is not going to get my dollars. Same mold, no electronics, no pack-ins and no wide distribution is not worth my hard earned money.

Some other good points of the year were Vader Unleashed, Jango 12" electronic (got it as a gift and I was really surprised at the craftsmanship that was put into this figure), 3 3/4 Ephant Mon, Bespin Luke even with that silly gimmick that I cut off, Clone Trooper Deluxe was one of the best buys for your money, it had everything, Jango K.E. as much as I am sick of Jango I still have to give a thumbs up on this one. Other items I liked were Chewie Bespin Escape, R2D2 3 3/4 and the new Jedi Starfighter, I did buy many more but those are really not worth talking about. Like I said some had poor sculpts and some were great but lacked playability due to the gimmicks that were already on them.

Many of us here know what kids and collectors alike are looking for in Star Wars toys. My only wish is that someone from Hasbro will read this and take notice by going back to where they left off at the end of the POTJ run. (i.e. good Sculpt, articulation, paint arms and knees that bend and no gimmicks. Also try to even the cases out this will lead to less peg warming. For example if you are sending out Imperial/ Rebel officers send 4 of each and lets say two of Obi-Wan and two of Eeth Koth or just three of each figure. Everyone loves army builder bad guys, you know it and I know it. Short packing figures leads to peg warming; if they are evenly packed there will be less peg warmers.(i.e. remember Yoda and Dooku along with a few others, people bought Dooku/ Yoda and the rest were left to rot)

In closing if you are reading this, I'm sure that many of us are more and willing to help out and make these toys better for all involved. So just give us a buzz and one of us would be more than happy to show you what is wanted out there. Remember we are the collectors and kids that buy the merchandise so it would be fair to say that we know what we are talking about when it comes to what we want.:D

Beast
01-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Well, there have only been 2 rehashes in the basic Saga figure Line. The Tusken Raider that was released with the Massif, and the Yoda: Jedi Council Figure. The Tusken Raider was rushed out, because the movie showed the Massiff's on Tatooine. And Yoda was rushed out, because of his popularity with the kiddies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DarthBrandon
01-12-2003, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Well, there have only been 2 rehashes in the basic Saga figure Line. The Tusken Raider that was released with the Massif, and the Yoda: Jedi Council Figure. The Tusken Raider was rushed out, because the movie showed the Massiff's on Tatooine. And Yoda was rushed out, because of his popularity with the kiddies. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lets not forget Jango (5), Obi-Wan (3 now), Mace (2) and Tyranus (2) these include ones slated for this year. They are figures that don't warrant another sculpt this soon. Tusken Raider I'm not too concerned about, as he is needed many times by lots of collectors for army building. Yoda is simply a rehash of the Episode I figure with a little touch up here and there. I know he is popular with the kids and that's great, but I don't see the point of producing figures over and over again that are IMO crap. Jango this Jango that, give us a break on Jango and make a less core figure or two. I know this year has quite a few listed, but I grow tired of Tyranus with sith lightning instead of a Holo Sidious pack-in with a slight change on the cape and a touch up here and there. They can't get Mace right yet, so leave him alone until someone comes by who can get the job done right. Do we really need another Obi-Wan with a spear instead of a lightsaber ? I think not. We also do not need another Chewie or Han this soon as well, but like the sucker I am; I'll probably buy Han because I love the new look. I like the fact that Boba Fett is coming out later this year and he looks the best that I've seen of him to date. This is what I'm talking about as far as time between rehashes/resculpts go. It has been a long time since the last Boba Fett figure has/ graced our presence. I feel it's time for a new droid, Rebel Pilot, Imperial Officer (named of course), Bespin Cloud Car Pilot, some Captains and Generals (we all know what I'm talking about). There are so many more that need to be made, Imperial and Rebel a like, good or bad guys we need them. What we don't need is 5 (7 if you count the deluxe) Jango's in less than two years. I could go on forever about this, the Saga line started in April of 2002, so until April of 2003 we still will have quite a number of rehashes/resculpts of the same character like it or not it's the truth. :D

Kidhuman
01-12-2003, 12:27 PM
I myself find alot of unnessecsry rehashes. We don't need 5 Jango Fetts or 3 Obi-Wans. They could spend more time making other figures that everyone wants. Take the time and money and produce a few of the fans votes. Produce the top three. I understand making a few different figures because of different scenes in the movie and collectors like to recreate those scenes. But to recreate 2 figures from the same scene(Mace arena and Mace rescue) is absurd. They were 5 minutes apart in the movie. Mace had a deluxe fighting scene. A carded collector as myself will not buy alot of rehashes. I would perfer to spend my money on figures that are different.

And as far as the poor distribution: PUT MORE THAN ONE IN A CASE!!!! I don't care if it "lowers value" on their worth. I collect for a reason. I do not like having to go to specialty shops and have to pay an absurd amount because there are none on the shelves because Padme is in abundance. This leads to stores not packing out and not ordering. Make it fair to everyone. Even the workers at my Wal-Mart complain that sales on the figures are down. We already have those pegwarmers. I want new up to date stuff. The section went from a whole aisle to 12 pegs in 2 months because no one was buying what was there. Hasbro heed the words of those on this side of the fence. Please take our advice on this, for the customer is always right.

DarthBrandon
01-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I myself find alot of unnessecsry rehashes. We don't need 5 Jango Fetts or 3 Obi-Wans. They could spend more time making other figures that everyone wants. Take the time and money and produce a few of the fans votes. Produce the top three. I understand making a few different figures because of different scenes in the movie and collectors like to recreate those scenes. But to recreate 2 figures from the same scene(Mace arena and Mace rescue) is absurd. They were 5 minutes apart in the movie. Mace had a deluxe fighting scene. A carded collector as myself will not buy alot of rehashes. I would perfer to spend my money on figures that are different.

And as far as the poor distribution: PUT MORE THAN ONE IN A CASE!!!! I don't care if it "lowers value" on their worth. I collect for a reason. I do not like having to go to specialty shops and have to pay an absurd amount because there are none on the shelves because Padme is in abundance. This leads to stores not packing out and not ordering. Make it fair to everyone. Even the workers at my Wal-Mart complain that sales on the figures are down. We already have those pegwarmers. I want new up to date stuff. The section went from a whole aisle to 12 pegs in 2 months because no one was buying what was there. Hasbro heed the words of those on this side of the fence. Please take our advice on this, for the customer is always right.

Hasbro, you could learn a thing or two from the customer as kidhuman has pointed out. Even distribution of the cases will make at least 90% of the kids and collectors happy, the other 10% will likely be scalpers and I really could give a rats a** what they thought. If you guys want to make money and I mean a lot of money let us help you out. I for one will quit my job tomorrow and come to work for Hasbro so I can give them the input that they desperately need right now. This Saga line can be way better than it is right now, all you need to do is listen to us.:D

Beast
01-12-2003, 07:30 PM
Those arn't rehashes, but resculpts. A rehash would be the reuse of old parts to make a new figure. Or just the repainting of a figure to make a new one. Sorry, it's one of the things that really get on me. Just like when people call paint mistakes, variations. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
01-12-2003, 09:32 PM
paint mistakes, variations.

That's ERROR!!!;)

DarthBrandon
01-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Those arn't rehashes, but resculpts. A rehash would be the reuse of old parts to make a new figure. Or just the repainting of a figure to make a new one. Sorry, it's one of the things that really get on me. Just like when people call paint mistakes, variations. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Call it what you want JarJarBinks, but to me there is not that much difference between Obi-Wan #1, #2, and #3, except for maybe a new head here and an arm there. I don't find anything particularly great about 5 to 6 Jangos in 1 year (April 2002 to April 2003 including deluxe versions) no matter what reason Hasbro says they have for making them. Why focus on Mace (whom they haven't got right yet) or Tyranus when they could have made some less core characters. I grow tired of looking at figures that have so little change to them; I am not the only one who sees this. I will say this I look forward to the day these guys show up:

Padmé Amidala, Droid Factory Chase (head swap with Padme Arena)
Tusken Raider, Tatooine Camp Ambush ( Army Builder)
Aayla Secura, Jedi Knight (Must have)
Barriss Offee (Must have)
Boba Fett, Pit of Carkoon (Best one as far as I can tell)
Lama Su with Clone Boy (Just want it)
Ashla and Jempa (Bear Clan) 2 pack (Not needed but I'll buy it)
Han Solo in Hoth Gear (love the sculpt, big improvement)
Darth Vader (Return of the Jedi) (I'll pass judgment when I see it, I have everyone so far so my guess is I'm buying it)
Luke Skywalker (Return of the Jedi) (Same as Vader)
Coleman Trebor (Wanted)
Wat Tambor (Wanted)
McQuarrie Stormtrooper - Fan Choice #4 (Buy it if its cool enough)
Force Power Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kamino (If the look is right I'm buying it, Jango can burn in hell, I'm sick of him)
Wuher - Cantina Scene (Wanted big time)

You see there is a lot that is left out and for the most part it is that they are way too similar to warrant my hard earned money. Many big collectors are sick to death of gimmicks/rehashes or as you call them resculpts so soon that we are only buying what we really like and not as much as we used to. I know that you are a die-hard S.W. fan and collector, but I cannot agree with the way Hasbro has handled things as of late. I wish you could see my point/opinion on this but I'm afraid you are under Hasbro's spell:D
I used to buy everything I saw and I mean everything, I'm not in it for the money but rather the enjoyment of it all. So when I start not to enjoy collecting I start to question why and these are some of the reasons why.

bigbarada
01-13-2003, 12:36 AM
It seems that the vintage days were one extreme (one version of Vader, Chewie, Stormtrooper, etc. for 8 years), and todays line is the other extreme (too many different versions of "popular" characters too soon).

I'm starting to think that the pre-Ep1 POTF2 days had the perfect balance of core characters and second/third/fourth/fifth tier characters. Those were also the days when Star Wars figures were selling like plastic-coated crack (unless they were Malikili figures).

Hmmmmmmmm........

Kidhuman
01-13-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
It seems that the vintage days were one extreme (one version of Vader, Chewie, Stormtrooper, etc. for 8 years), and todays line is the other extreme (too many different versions of "popular" characters too soon).

It should be the vintage way. We don't need all these different sculpts of characters. One figure with a coulple of different features would have been suffice. Take Jango for example. A Jango with a gun, removeable head(the same way C-3PO was made in ESB, with peg holes instead of magnets) would have been great. If hasbro really wants our money on figures, they need to either space them out (the resculpts) and give us newer figures that haven't been produced. Don't get me wrong I love the collecting, and I would like to see different poses and stuff, but please Hasbro space them out, One a year, please............ and remember WE ALL FIGURES, JUST CHANGE THE PRIORITY OF THE ORDER YOU MAKE THEM IN!!!!!

OzOtter
01-13-2003, 04:30 PM
I'm hoping that the line will return to the POTJ grace in out of movie years.

DarthBrandon
01-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

I'm starting to think that the pre-Ep1 POTF2 days had the perfect balance of core characters and second/third/fourth/fifth tier characters. Those were also the days when Star Wars figures were selling like plastic-coated crack (unless they were Malikili figures).

Hmmmmmmmm........

Much agreed bigbarada , I hope things go back to those days soon because I'm getting really tired of all this crap. My four year old can tell me what's wrong or what he doesn't like about these figures, so that tells me a there is something wrong and I'm not the only one who notices it.;)

Originally posted by kidhuman
It should be the vintage way. We don't need all these different sculpts of characters. One figure with a coulple of different features would have been suffice. Take Jango for example. A Jango with a gun, removeable head(the same way C-3PO was made in ESB, with peg holes instead of magnets) would have been great. If hasbro really wants our money on figures, they need to either space them out (the resculpts) and give us newer figures that haven't been produced. Don't get me wrong I love the collecting, and I would like to see different poses and stuff, but please Hasbro space them out, One a year, please............ and remember WE ALL LOVE FIGURES, JUST CHANGE THE PRIORITY OF THE ORDER YOU MAKE THEM IN!!!!!

I hope this pans out as well kidhuman, because if it doesn't Ill be collecting less and less as time goes on and I'm sure a lot of others will too. Spacing them out with even distribution, less gimmicks, and newer figures that haven't been made before would really make the line a lot better. I hope they go back to where they left off during the POTJ run for they had better sculpts no gimmicks, good articulation and more of the less core figures that we all enjoyed collecting. If Hasbro only knew how much money some of us have spent on S.W. merchandise they would change their tune real quick. If you don't listen to the customer your product will lose its flavor and it looks and sounds like it's starting to do just that. ;)

Kidhuman
01-14-2003, 11:55 AM
I have noticed the best looking figures are the ones without gimmicks. Lott Dodd, Watto, Palpatine, and Ephant Mon(the best made in awhile). If Hasbro took more time and focus on the figures we would be alot happier. They should make them fully poseable without specific stances. I always thought just seeing a figure in the package upright and not in a certain pose looked alot better, not to mention it practically renders them useless in recreating some scenes for those that do. Simplicity is the key to success.

TheDarthVader
01-14-2003, 07:24 PM
I agree, the best figures are the ones without gimmicks. I get tired of 2,3,4 or 5 of the same character. I wish that the POTJ line would return. That line was AWESOME!!

droidekas2
01-15-2003, 10:44 AM
I agree with you guys.

They always drag out that old arguement that the kids want and buy and need to see on the pegs the core characters. Thats bull. All I ever see in my area are Obis, Jangos, etc. clogging the pegs. They are always there and then another copy is coming out to join it. I guess they want to do like the Batman line where mindless idiots buy the same Batman figure over and over again (it just has a new paint scheme or stupid accessory).
I dont think they know what they are doing. Look how people go crazy for the likes of Ephant Mon. Thats what we need more of.
Unique great figures.