PDA

View Full Version : EPI vs. EPII

Lobito
11-07-2001, 12:54 PM
Concerning the theatre records...do u think EPII will break EPI record attendance??

El Chuxter
11-07-2001, 02:10 PM
Yes, if only because tickets cost more than they did three years ago.

I'd kinda like to see ET retake the number one spot myself. :D

Eternal Padawan
11-07-2001, 03:14 PM
That's a nice thought, but E.T. had about 72 weeks to gross $400 million the last time around. The turnaround time on new movies is about 6 weeks. In order to reclaim the top spot, it would have to do $300 million+ in order to unseat Titanic. That's not gonna happen for a movie that everybody owns on VHS already. I'll be mildly suprised and happy if it breaks $100 million. Don't get me wrong, I'm rootin' for it, but it ain'a gonna happen.

As for the I vs II, the short answer is...no. We've discussed this in other threads but II won't pull in nearly as much as the gargantuan $430 million I (I as in "one", not I as in "me") pulled in. While I (I as in "me" not...oh nevermind) think II will be the highest grossing film of 2002 (even up against Spidey and Minority Report) it will only snag $2-300 million, well short of the record. Of course, I(.....um......) could be wrong...

And let this be an object lesson in referring to the movies by their roman numeral only. It gets hella confusing.:( ;) :rolleyes:

master jedi
11-07-2001, 03:39 PM
I think it'll beat it price wise but if your talking about ticket sales I don't think it will.

JediCole
11-07-2001, 04:26 PM
Personally I believe that Episode II will surprise the nay sayers. It has that kind of potential. Despite the high anticipation vs. diappointment (with aspects) factor from EI that would seemingly haunt EII, I still think it will be an event in both dollars and tickets that will surpass its predecessor (EI). Anticipation for an improved film/Star Wars experience, the inclusion of a much more agreeable Anakin, the "everybody was Jedi fighting" action that EII promises, and the fact that a whole bunch more kids are growing up with Star Wars than those of us who were kids in the 70's and 80's will combine to make for a surprising take. Depending on what else is in the works for mid-2002, it will be interesting to see the staying power of a movie like this. I was rather surprised by Shrek, which was still on a regular admission (not $1 or $2) theatre about five weeks ago, even with the video/dvd release on the horizon!

But then of course, as Yoda says, "Difficult to say, always in motion is the future".

Mandalorian Candidat
11-07-2001, 09:02 PM
Well, I justed consulted the magic 8 ball. It said "How the freak should I know?" So there you have it.

My gut feeling is no. While the hardcore fans will see it multiple times, the general public will probably be as they are, see it once and then move on. This time won't be as big because many will remember Jar Jar and Jake "Whoopee" Lloyd and think this movie will be the same vein as EP1 was and will pass until it comes out on video or the cheap theaters.

JediTricks
11-08-2001, 02:24 AM
Nay, I say! ;)

I don't think it'll do as much business, but it'll probably be close.

Obi-Don
11-08-2001, 08:51 AM
I think it will be big at first but will not go for a long run at the top. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think people will go to see it more than once. The draw will be the jedi fighting[which will be great]But I think that E1 dissapointed a lot of people and they are not to hopefull with EII.Me,I can't wait and believe it will be better than E1. Only really big fans of Star Wars will see it over and over again[like me] :D

Lobito
11-08-2001, 12:24 PM
I dont know...IMO i think that it wont surpass EpI record, for all of what we have discussed here...but then again, thats only us...i havent seen a 10 yr. old or less complaining of Jar Jar or for that matter Anakin...dont u think they will tell their parents they want to see SW again?? Maybe...just maybe.

But we will see.:eek: :stupid: :D :cool:

bigbarada
11-08-2001, 11:16 PM
I agree with Lobito in one sense, I've met very few non-Star Wars fans who were disappointed with Ep1. In fact, I would say the average Joe counts Ep1 as the best Star Wars film made, primarily on the basis of special effects. I know everyone says that Ep1 was a dissappointment, but from the people I've talked to, on a casual basis (not like I went out and took a poll) over the last 2.5 years, they have had a very positive impression of Ep1. Again mostly due to the visuals.

However, I also know of a few people who refused to watch Ep1 simply because it was soo over hyped. Hopefully, this won't happen with Ep2.

GNT
11-08-2001, 11:41 PM
4 words "Boba Fett" and "Jango Fett", Because they are in it everyone is going to see it causing AOTC to be the number one film of all time :)

JediTricks
11-09-2001, 12:53 AM
Look at SW vs ESB, Star Wars was a raving success, the biggest film ever at the time, and ESB was even better in some ways, yet ESB didn't make as much as SW.

bigbarada
11-09-2001, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Look at SW vs ESB, Star Wars was a raving success, the biggest film ever at the time, and ESB was even better in some ways, yet ESB didn't make as much as SW.

Yes, ESB was arguably the best of the four films, but it has always been last in terms of making money.

GNT
11-09-2001, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by bigbarada

Yes, ESB was arguably the best of the four films, but it has always been last in terms of making money.

I think AOTC will give ESB a run for its money by being the best SW film,but will have to wait and see :)

JediTricks
11-10-2001, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
Yes, ESB was arguably the best of the four films, but it has always been last in terms of making money. True, but the global take (US tix & all foreign tix combined) on ESB was higher than ROTJ... mercifully. So what you said was true... from a certain point of view. ;)

ThomasLane
11-15-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks

It's interesting that they don't count number of tickets sold instead of $$$ made. It would be a much more accurate portrayal of a movie's success. Do you know that "Gone With the Wind" made $200M dollars and "Snow White & the 7 Dwarves" made $189M (just in the US, not worldwide)? Assuming the majority of the money was made during the original releases (at the lower ticket prices), if adjusted for inflation (today's ticket prices being about 10x what they were back then, late 1930's), both of these movies would fall somewhere in the $2 bilion range, while Star Wars would fall somewhere around $1 B.

So, "from a certain point of view", the title of "biggest films ever" should go to "Gone With the Wind" and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves".

It's a bitter pill to swallow, but at least such a metric would push Titanic down below SW on the success ladder.

LTBasker
11-15-2001, 11:31 AM
Gone with the Wind and SNow White and The Seven Dwarfs, ok, so if you want to see a wind movie, watch Twister, want to see a dwarves movie? Watch ROTJ, ewoks! ewoks! :D I think Episode II will make a lot, they seem to have improved alot compared to Episode 1.

JediTricks
11-16-2001, 06:43 AM
Speaking again of wind movies, the Wizard of Oz took years to make its money back. It was considered a disaster and a failure till it was taken away from audiences for many years and later put on TV once a year as an "event".