PDA

View Full Version : Any hopes or plans for 2003 ?

2-1B
01-14-2003, 01:21 AM
I'd really like to see Topps issue a Series 2 of their AOTC Widevision cards this year, but I'm not optimistic. So far I've heard of no plans and I am doubtful because the Widevision set from November is a second series itself - following the first movie set from May.
Still, I can hope. :D

As far as what I plan to buy:

LOTR TTT Update set - I assume this is forthcoming since they did 2 sets for FOTR. I just recently got the two FOTR sets and the current TTT set and think they were a great value at around $10 each. I'm planning on buying any possible TTT update set this year.
LOTR ROTK toward the end of 2003.
X-Men 2 - I might as well snag this if it's released, I bought the card set from the first X-Men movie and thought it was decent.
HULK ? ? ? I don't know if there is a card deal in place, but I'd be open to the possibility. I know Topps is doing Daredevil this year, but I'll likely pass on that one . . .
Star Wars !!!!!!! No new sets that I know of, but I'll be hitting Wizard World this summer and hope to find some good deals on the dealers' tables. Last year I bought the SW Evolution set for a good price, maybe I'll do some more retroactive collecting. I never did get complete sets of the OT Widevision cards (All I have are the Trilogy Set, both TPM sets, and both AOTC sets) so maybe I'll shoot for those. Oh, and if there are any metal card sets out there that I'm unaware of, I plan on snagging them too. :D

Thunderstorm1
01-17-2003, 10:46 PM
Hey Caesar, do you know of any online stores to buy topps cards at? I like to buy the hobby boxes of the LOTR and Star Wars Cards. Trying to get those autographs!:D

OC47150
01-22-2003, 03:20 PM
I've been working on buying chase cards from various sets for my collection. A friend is very graciously selling me the cards I need on an installment plan. I hope to finish that up this year.

Did get some good buys on chase cards in '02. Got the ROJ 3Di promo card, which was a big goal of mine in '02.

I, too, would like to see a second series of AOTC WV cards but I don't think that will happen. Only two sets of cards for TPM, and I don't think Topps will break that trend.

2-1B
01-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Thunderstorm1
Hey Caesar, do you know of any online stores to buy topps cards at? I like to buy the hobby boxes of the LOTR and Star Wars Cards. Trying to get those autographs!:D

Sure thing, I purchased from Georgetown Card Exchange (http://www.gcxonline.com/index_ns.htm) in the past, that's where I got my AOTC Widevision from. I linked right to their Star Wars page, BUT I should warn you that they charge 64.95 on their website (but if you buy 3 or more, they're $59.95). Anyway, I bought my first box thru their Buy It Now auction for 59.99, and after that I placed a few orders with them. Every transaction was super-smooth. I also bought some supplies from them right away (specifically, 6-count card pages for Widevision).
Their eBay username is gcx ifyou're interested.

edit: the link is to their non-sports search engine, you'll have to click on Star Wars from their pull down menu.

Thunderstorm, do you already have a set of AOTC Widevision ?
If so, I really recommend buying autographs outright. You have a 50/50 shot of getting 2 random autographs per box, while you're guaranteed at least 1. A good friend of mine wanted ALL the autographs, so after he bought 3 boxes and scored some good ones (INCLUDING Yoda) we went to eBay to get the rest. I found a GREAT dealer from whom I purchased SEVERAL cards, and they weren't always through eBay even - so he was totally trustworthy. What's also cool is that he only charged $1 shipping, no matter how many cards we bought!
Check him out, his user ID is audittcards (http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=audittcards&sort=3&rows=25&since=-1&rd=1) and I linked to his current auctions . . . he's got a few up right now, most of them in the $20+ range.

Hmmmm, I'll have to try to recall any other places I've dealt with.

Oh, and in case you don't have the whole AOTC set, let me know as I have SEVERAL extra sets. That goes for anyone else who might be reading this, too. :)

stillakid
01-23-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Oh, and in case you don't have the whole AOTC set, let me know as I have SEVERAL extra sets. That goes for anyone else who might be reading this, too. :)

I should've just waited. I'd rather give you the money than Non-sports Cards, but oh well. Next time. :)

I don't even really know what "editions" of the cards I have. I've got one set each (Widevision) for each of the movies so far. I assume that they are all the first series for each film. Is there a list someplace that shows how many series were done per movie?

2-1B
01-24-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by stillakid
I should've just waited. I'd rather give you the money than Non-sports Cards, but oh well. Next time. :)

I don't even really know what "editions" of the cards I have. I've got one set each (Widevision) for each of the movies so far. I assume that they are all the first series for each film. Is there a list someplace that shows how many series were done per movie?

yeah, if I knew ahead of time how many sets I was gonna pull, I would have put the word out ahead of time. We pulled THREE sets per box, and since I never bought by the box before, I never dreamed of such an occurance . . . I bought 3 boxes assuming I would finish 3 or 4 for myself and some friends, and wound up with 9 sets. :D

I can't direct you to a comprehensive list of all the movie cards, but off the top of my head I know there were

3 series for the original ANH release - red, blue, and yellow border

ESB had . . . at least 2, but I think 3 series with different colors like ANH.

ROTJ - I'm pretty sure there were only 2 series, the first being red and the second was blue.

TPM - 2 widevision series, the first was red and the second blue

AOTC - the 1st series of "movie card" and the 2nd series being the widevision.

And of course, there were Widevision sets for each film in the OT, those came out . . . mid-90s I think.

And THEN there was a small widevision set called "Star Wars Trilogy" with 72 total, or 24 from each flick . . . I have that one.

There's a start, and I'd be curious to see a full list myself. :)

OC47150
01-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Check out www.starwarscards.net.

This is the most comprehensive SW trading card site I know of -- vintage and non-vintage, domestic and foreign trading cards, genuine and bootleg. Good place to trade cards, too. I do a lot of trading here.

2-1B
08-11-2003, 01:55 AM
That IS a good site, OC :)
Deoxy turned me on to it awhile ago as well.

Well, I mentioned way back in January up there that I was going to grab the X2 cards . . . so a few months ago I splurged on a hobby case of 4 boxes :( but got some COOL inserts so it was worth it. Lots of autograph cards as well as swatch cards from Storm :happy: and Deathstrike :happy:
If anybody wants a set of X2 cards, let me know - I have several extras, no charge.

I picked up 5 sets of cards at Wizard World in Chicago this weekend, nothing fancy but I got them all at low prices. ;)
One dealer had a bunch of sets for $10 each or 3/$25. As soon as I saw that he had Daredevil, I dove right in because I had been waiting on that one for awhile. I didn't like the insert odds so it wasn't worth buying a box earlier this year. And eBay always had them for $10 per set PLUS 4 or 5 dollars for shipping - so I just waited.
I also grabbed T3 so I figured I would grab a 3rd set for an extra $5 . . . nothing really jumped out at me so I settled on Star Trek Nemesis. Not bad.

Later on at another table I found a dealer with $5 sets (none of the previous 3 were present so I thankfully didn't get burned :D ) and from that table I grabbed Planet of the Apes (hey, why not) and what I was really excited about was the $5 "Star Wars Vehicles" set I bought. Nice. :)

I love cards but I don't love paying a lot for them -so I like finding cheap sets from movies 'n stuff . . . it's fun.

OC47150
08-11-2003, 07:58 AM
I was fortunate enough to find five Evolution 'A' cards and one 'B' card I needed at Gen Con a couple of weeks ago. Only missing 1 'A' card and two or three 'B' cards to complete that set. I'll work on that here shortly.

Haven't heard or read of new cards coming out, but that's OK with me. Gives me time to fill in gaps.