PDA

View Full Version : Who's Bored With Lucas' Little Rules?

Jek Porky 2002
01-14-2003, 02:33 PM
Is anyone else getting a bit bored of all these little rules that Lucas has got when making Star Wars films, i.e:

Real 5 has to be the build up to-
Real 6 (the last 15-20 mins) has to be action packed, with at least 3 or 4 different battles taking place
All Star Wars films have to contain 1138 at some point
Certain parts of the prequals have to 'rhyme' with parts of the Classic Trilogy

With this are Star Wars flms turning into James Bond? Basically the same format but with different charactors and set in different locations.

I think that for Episode III, he should take a different direction, with a Lightsaber battle at the beggining maybe, or a ground or air battle, instead of building up to that moment all through the film. The only other film that does that is The Empire Strikes Back, and that wasn't even directed by Lucas, so what does that tell you?

I think that is one of the main reasons for the dissapointment of the Preaquals, because they are set out like Return Of The Jedi, lacking suprise and origionallity, is anyone with me?

Patient Zero
01-14-2003, 02:55 PM
What I find odd is the repeating division of 3 in all of the movies. It seems as though there are 3 chapters to each of the movies with usualy the second one being two different group activities going on simultainiously and then they meet up for chapter 3.

Pendo
01-14-2003, 03:49 PM
This is the NO SPOILERS thread :mad:!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, I don't actually mind Lucas' 'rules'. I think if he did something different with Episode III now, then it would look totaly out of place compared to all the other movies.

PENDO!

Darth Grifter
01-14-2003, 03:51 PM
where lucas has failed as a film maker is expressly telling the audience that there are these "rhyming schemes" in his movies, and making the connections so blatantly obvious that even the most layman movie goer can tell what's going to happen next. The great filmmakers -- a class that i say lucas could be in without the prequels -- don't explicitly or overtly throw the similarities or mirror sequences in the audience's face. they are subtle with their art, crafting masterpieces; not just over-cgi cramed movie marvels.

just a thought

Darth Grifter
01-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Pendo

Anyway, I don't actually mind Lucas' 'rules'. I think if he did something different with Episode III now, then it would look totaly out of place compared to all the other movies.

PENDO!

is ESB out of place in the trilogy -- or sextet -- then? it seems purely different than any other piece.

The Overlord Returns
01-14-2003, 04:09 PM

PENDO!

Dude asked a question laden with spolier type answers.....

Yell at him, not me.... sheesh:rolleyes:

Jedi Clint
01-14-2003, 04:29 PM
Proponents of this (the E3 No Spoilers) forum wish to discuss the film with absolutely no legitimate information regarding E3 introduced into the mix.

The Overlord Returns
01-14-2003, 04:38 PM
Yawn....

:rolleyes:

Pendo
01-14-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Darth Grifter
is ESB out of place in the trilogy -- or sextet -- then? it seems purely different than any other piece.

Well it depends on how you look at it. If you're judging JUST by the battle at the beginning of the movie, then yes it is out of place in the saga. That is if you consider the Battle of Hoth to be one of the main battles of the movie, but IMO it is only a small battle (as is the Tantive IV gunfight and Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon in the Trade Federation ship) compared to the one at the end of the movie between Vader and Luke.

For the other rules, 1138 is in the movie, it rhyms with events in the prequels (or the prequels rhym with events in ESB :confused: depending on how you look at it :p), Reel 5 still builds up the the climax of the movie, and the end fight is in Reel 6. So IMO ESB has the same 'rules' as the other movies, so does fit in :).

PENDO!

Patient Zero
01-14-2003, 04:52 PM
*Runs into the room*

Anakin turns out to be Darth Vader! :crazed:

*Returns back the way he came*

The Overlord Returns
01-14-2003, 04:53 PM
lol........

word on the street is that Sidious becomes emperor palpatine!..

teehee.

Pendo
01-14-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by The Ghost of Jonna
*Runs into the room*

Anakin turns out to be Darth Vader! :crazed:

*Returns back the way he came*

Hey, Jedi Clint, there's another spoiler in here. Can you delete it please :p.

Honestly Jonna, I thought YOU of all people would know not to post spoilers in here :rolleyes:.

:p

PENDO!

stillakid
01-14-2003, 10:39 PM
I think that this is just one of the problems. Instead of just worrying about writing a good solid story, he gets all worked up about doing this "rhyming" crap and other cutsy reference stuff.

You're right though. The Prequels are far too gone at this point. He might just as well finish the silly path he's on. We can chalk 1-3 up to being EU and enjoy our classic VHS copies of the OT until they disintegrate inside our antique VCR's. :)

Patient Zero
01-15-2003, 11:37 AM
Honestly Jonna, I thought YOU of all people would know not to post spoilers in here :rolleyes:.:p
PENDO!

My mom says I'm special!:p

Jek Porky 2002
01-15-2003, 03:15 PM
Another thing that is getting tired-

The loss of limbs and Lightsabers!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Don't buy watch it if you don't like it.:p

Oooh . . . I gots a spoiler but I ain't supposed to say it . . .:crazed:

Jek Porky 2002
01-26-2003, 06:11 AM
Nice way to tease me Jabba!;)

scruffziller
03-03-2003, 12:33 PM
How can we discuss E3 without spoliers????:confused:

Rogue II
03-03-2003, 12:59 PM
I think you are allowed to speculate all you want, but you can't speak of any confirmed facts.

or something like that.:crazed: :confused:

TheDarthVader
03-05-2003, 08:22 PM
I was hoping that Lucas would finally break the trend of just-over- 2 hours-movies and make ep3 like 3 hours long!! That way, we see everything we really want to see happen!!!!!!

stillakid
03-05-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I was hoping that Lucas would finally break the trend of just-over- 2 hours-movies and make ep3 like 3 hours long!! That way, we see everything we really want to see happen!!!!!!

I'd just like to see a well written story. Whether it takes 2 minutes or 2 hours isn't the question. Just tell a good story like the old days.

TheDarthVader
03-07-2003, 06:44 PM
Yes, that would be better. Take the time to write an excellent screen play and do it like ANH, ESB, and ROTJ !!!!! Amen on that one!!

scruffziller
05-07-2003, 09:14 AM
Lucas reminds me of Comic Book Guy from The Simpsons the way he is always analyzing and making a declaration of how things are. He also reminds me of those guys(like comic book guy) that have never had a date and sit at home with no job and self play RPGs all day long and are extreme authorites on SW lore but for some reason are not able to apply that skill into making money. Oh yea, and are "mama's boys" who don't comb their hair and are not very personable.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2003, 04:09 PM
My feeling on the matter is that most stories DO have a conventional flow. I remember (not clearly) the teachers in all my English classes explaining how generally all action stories follow a specific arc with specific beats:

1. - conflict
2. - discovery
3. - climax
4. - denoument

So... I suppose if you wanna slag someone, slag the people who kept subscribing to the "trend" long before Lucas even came along...

fishyfett
05-17-2003, 12:22 AM
I enjoyed the films so far. I'm not asking for much. Just end the Prequels, please!!! And maybe we can have some fresh ideas of post-Jedi expanded universe movies. Maybe George Lucas may not be so involved in it. Maybe he'll pass it on to a better film maker. Here's hoping.......

TheDarthVader
05-17-2003, 12:40 AM
I will have to 100% agree on that one. Even though I have loved the prequels, I think another person could do a better job at making the movies. I strongly feel that since epIII is supposed to be so "dark" (as Lucas describes it), then it should definately have a rating of at least PG-13. BUT (and this is a big but) Lucas' little rule of PG movies will hold true and when someone is losing a limb, the camera will capture it for a second and then *boom*... we see the person lying on the floor (like in AOTC). Gosh, some of those camera angles really suck!! :(

Pendo
05-17-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by TheDarthVader
I strongly feel that since epIII is supposed to be so "dark" (as Lucas describes it), then it should definately have a rating of at least PG-13.

It deffo wont be a PG-13 (or a 12 in the UK) because Lucas wouldn't even let AOTC be a 12 over here :mad:, instead we had to have a slight gap in the Jango/Obi-Wan fight where Obi-Wan falls backwards without even being hit by Jango :mad:. But then again, I'd rather it have been a PG, it should never have been rated a 12 in the first place :mad:!!!

I don't think it has to be a PG-13 to be a good dark film. Look at The Empire Strikes Back, that was the darkest of the OT, and that only got a Universal rating.

I'd rather all movies stay around the U/PG certificates, I'd hate it if there was suddenly a really violent or strong bit that pushed the certificate up, because Star Wars is a kids movie, and it just wouldn't be right.

PENDO!