PDA

View Full Version : Any Collecting Regrets?

Dr Zoltar
01-15-2003, 07:26 AM
I was just curious if anyone had any collecting regrets. Possibly something they passed on only to never find it again. Or the other way around -- You bought something (or a bunch of somethings) hoping it would increase in value only to discover it was worthless.

For me it was passing on the POTJ Tie Bomber when it first came out. I found 4 in a local TRU but didn't have the $30 to pick it up. I figured that since TRU had it and it wasn't an exclusive, I'd purchase it in a month or two. Boy was I wrong.

I also passed on the Target Skiff. I found only one, but the packaging was pretty beat up. Like the clear plastic front was half ripped off. I passed hoping to find one in better condition but never did.

In the "almost" category, I almost missed the AT-ST/Speeder bike TRU exclusive. They were sitting on the shelves for a few months in plenty and then when I went to get one, they were all gone. Luckily a very nice employee called all the local TRU's and had one shipped from Oregon for me.

Anyone else?

Rogue II
01-15-2003, 08:34 AM
Not buying Han w/ Tauntaun the one and only time I saw it.

I kind of wish I picked up the Complete Galaxy Vader and Yoda for $5 each and an extra set of the Rebel Pilots Cinema Scene for $8 during the clearance sale at KB.

The only Target exclusive I passed on was the Y-Wing, but I don't really regret it. I saw it in the store twice. It would have been nice to have, but I don't feel like I really needed it. The only reason I have the B-Wing is because my wife found it on clearance.

jpak001
01-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Yup, regret not getting the R2 B1 when I saw it on clearance for $1.97.... What was I thinking??????

Jedi Law Student
01-15-2003, 10:57 AM
I regret passing up Darth Sidious (Holograph). I saw it in Wal-Mart one time, but I never saw it again.

Patient Zero
01-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Lately I have actually been wondering if I really need to be buying all these toys. I mean what is the point? I don't need any of them...but then again I really don't need 99% of the things that I buy. What would I be doing with the money if I stopped buying all of the things that I don't need? Nothing! It would just be sitting in some bank somewhere. Now I'm not a moron and I realize that in this society you need to be financially secure (which I am) so why buy all this stuff. Because it makes me happy and why would anyone strive to enjoy life and not be happy. I sure as hell don't get up for work in the morning because I think that it is a Hoot! Money has no intrinsic value unto itself; it's only value is in the things that you can trade for it and their only value is in how happy it makes you. I feel myself starting some dangerous nihlistic loop where nothing has any absolute value, which is true, but it is not the point that I am trying to make at this time. The moral to this story is that as long as you are being responsible (taking care of your obligations, yourself, family, considering the future, etc.) just do whatever makes you happy. Life is to short to deny yourself things. This may all sound a bit off topic or out of place but I'm sure that I am not the only 'aging' SW collector who has asked himself that same question at one time.

Now give me kissums!:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

bobafett07728
01-15-2003, 11:30 AM
Okay. . . here is my one regret. It is a biggie:

At the time I was working at a retail store that was getting Freeze Frame Figures in for $1.99. This was great, and I actaully picked up all the rereleases. I got the Sandtrooper, AT-ST Driver, TIE Fighter Pilot, everything that I didn't already have I purchased. I had always been a completist, but I always waited on the reissues, so this was a great opportunity. Needless to say, one evening I was at the local mall, and I stopped into an Electronics Boutique. At this time, this video game store was also carrying Star Wars figures. It was acutally the only place I found the Han & Tauntaun Beast Pack. On this visit, I noticed that they also had the Collection 3 Freeze Frames that we'd been getting in at work. Their prices ranged from $2.99 - $7.99. I laughed to myself thinking. . . "Ha!, I'm getting these for next to nothing!!!" It was at this time I saw a figure that I still did not have. How could this be!?!?!?! I have been buying the one's I needed once they got into the store, I've never seen this one. Hmmmmm. I picked up the figure, and looked it over. Pretty cool, and he was only $2.99. Ah. . . but there is where I went wrong. I figured I would just wait until we got it in, and purchase it at $1.99, and get 15% off as an employee. Why waste a buck on a figure I will surely see at work for cheaper? So at that moment I put the figure back on the peg, and made a mental note to look out for this one at work. Unfortunately, that particular case assortment never made it to my store. Actually it is rumored to only have been sent to Electronic's Boutique. So, while I was extremely lucky to get many of the now higher priced Collection 3 Freeze Frames for $1.99. . . one still eludes me. . .

I never saw another Freeze Frame Weequay in person, and have never seen one sell for less that $275.00 since. While I complain about not having a Toy Fair Vader, or a Jorg Sacul. . . I was not at either of those affairs, and can understand why they are not in my collection. But everytime I see a Freeze Frame Weequay for sale, I am haunted by the fact that I saw one for $2.99, and passed up because I wanted to save one measly dollar!!!!!! Since that day, I have never passed on a figure at reatail that I don't have.

187-Maul
01-15-2003, 11:31 AM
well I'm still 16, but I too sometimes wonder why I even buy toys anymore, I don't really need them and they just stand there, but then again, I wouldn't be doing anything else with the money so why bother thinking about it...although I do think that I won't buy as much SW as I did before and focus more on mcfarlane, since I get a lot more from them for my money, especially if I get SW figs for about 10$ and mcfarlane figs for 15$...

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-15-2003, 05:28 PM
I passed up:

1) Freeze Frame Boba Fett because I didn't want to buy any of the POF2 figures repackaged with a slide and only wanted to buy the new FF figures.

2) All 11 Flashback figures at KB for $2.99 each. A week later, they jump $1.

3) Dexter w/ pipe text and BG for a Peasnt Disguise Anakin. When the E1 figures came out, a few weeks later, all the good characters would disappear. So I thought, "hmm I better get PD Anakin before he disappears; Dex isn't popular he'll still be on the pegs..."

...(smacks head against monitor)STUPID, STUPID, STUPID ME! :dead:

QLD
01-15-2003, 07:54 PM
I wonder why I bought all of these prequel figures.

Lately I have been thinking of just collecting Original Trilogy figures....and only getting the really good prequel figures.

Tonysmo
01-16-2003, 02:59 AM
they had a Don Post Tie fighter pilot helment at Target.. out of the box, marked down to $20 bucks... I passed up on it.. I still kick myself.. grrrr...

Rogue II
01-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I wonder why I bought all of these prequel figures.

Lately I have been thinking of just collecting Original Trilogy figures....

That's what I do. I bought 4 Episode 1 figures: Yoda, R2, and 2 Darth Mauls(regular and Tatooine...I regret buying them). As for the Saga line, the only prequel figures I have are Count Dooku, Yoda, C-3PO(reuglar and deluxe), and R2. I don't count the Royal Guard or POTJ Tusken Raider (Sniper) as Prequel toys since they are in the the OT as well. With lack of OT figures this year and the price drops, I did some army building.

Anyway, it saves you a lot of money not buying the prequel toys.

Jayspawn
01-16-2003, 11:48 AM
I have olny a few. I regret...

1. Passing on a Don Post Stormtrooper helmet at Target when it was only $20.

2. Passing on Freeze Frame Boba Fett, TIE Fighter Pilot, Sandtrooper. Wal-Mart had them but since I bought so many other variations of those figures to keep carded, I didn't want to get just 1 more.

3. Not getting a few more Rebel Pilots cinema scenes when KB had them on clearence.

4. Not picking up just 1 extra AT-AT when TRU had them on clearence for just $10 some years back.

BanthaPoodoo
01-16-2003, 02:59 PM
I regret holding the Ben, Darth, & Luke long tray short sabers & putting em back saying, eh, I already have em at home....

Stupid stupid stupid....

Fulit
01-16-2003, 03:33 PM
Still never found a Kyle Katarn. :(

Darth Sidious
01-16-2003, 06:40 PM
-Expriencing a collecting hiatus during the very late POTF2/POTJ line.
-Passing on the freaking Wampa!
-Returning my 1995 Snowspeeder because the sound didn't work. :rolleyes: And getting the Outrider and a 1995 Chewie with the return money. They're not bad, I suppose, I just wish I had a Snowspeeder.
-Passing on the SW Insider Darktrooper/Spacetrooper set.
-A plethora of other...dumb stuff.

Darth Trymybestus
01-16-2003, 06:52 PM
But then I got him on Ebay.. mint condition, mint card (although I'm an opener) and only for $4!!!!! :D
The only thing that sucks is he has high heels :crazed:

kool-aid killer
01-17-2003, 07:33 AM
I regret having passed up on a Boromir vs. Lurtz two pack. At the time there was five of them at a local KB but instead i chose the ringwraith and orc warrior (not really bad choices because thats the first time i had seen them too) Now they go for over $40 on ebay. A few weeks earlier i passed up on a FOTR legolas because for some reason i had the bright idea that he would still be around even with the new movies release days away. Oh well I got Arwen last week.

OzOtter
02-01-2003, 01:20 PM
I make a point of always buying what I want the first time I see it, so I don't have any regrets about stuff I saw and didn't get. But I also have rarely picked up anything cheaply (since I already have it before it gets to clearance).

Ji'dai
02-01-2003, 05:08 PM
I passed on the POTF Death Star Trooper when he first came out, and then Hasbro stopped shipping him and Ree-Yees. I ended up getting both from the fan club for much higher than retail.

I passed on many of the 12" but the Stormtrooper and 14" Vader are the ones I now regret most. I wish I would've bought a Sandtrooper/Dewback when I saw them on clearance for $30.

I saw a handful of Sio Bibble's at K-mart but I passed on them since I figured he'd be a pegwarmer. I thought 'who's going to buy an old obscure politician?' Snuh.

Never bought the LEGO Battle Droid Carrier and it's now the only SW System set I don't have.

I passed on the POTJ R2-D2, but then never remembered to buy him. Not that I need another R2, but he's the only fig I'm missing in that line. I almost bought another clean Biker Scout but didn't want to wait in those long christmas lines at WM.

Had a chance to order a TF Vader from the Fan Club, but thought that $15 a piece was kinda steep for a figure.

Saw two Acklays at WM and passed on them, assuming they'd be collecting dust and end up on clearance like the Reek.

I like the prop replicas and regret not buying the ones that are now out of production, but I can't get myself to spend that kind of money anyway.

Jargo
02-01-2003, 05:51 PM
I regret paying good money for the POTF2 snowspeeder, then giving it to my nephew thinking I would not be collecting any Hoth themed stuff. Then I'd been changing my mind and buying stuff like Tauntauns with luke and deluxe Hoth rebels and realising that my nephew had completely trashed the snowspeeder that i now wanted to add to my collection again.

I regret that i didn't have the ready cash back when Han and Tauntaun was out that i do now. It's the only beast i don't own. I regret buying a second skiff and y-wing. I regret buying two naboo N1 fighters and the royal starship, I regret buying all those darth maul figures. I regret a lot of individual expensive impulsive purchases that make me cringe now that all that stuff is going for buttons at certain sites. I regret getting into a hobby that eats so much money so quickly and so often.

Kidhuman
02-01-2003, 08:08 PM
Back in the 1990 I bought a carded Snaggletooth and Admiral Ackbar. When I moed I forgot to pack them(stupid stupid me) and when I went back for them the landlord changed the locks and wouldn't let me go get them.

I also regret passing up alot of stuff for reissues of my favorite characters and purchasing some to quick on Ebay just because I had to have em.

Old Fossil
02-01-2003, 08:27 PM
(1) I regret paying $25 for a Han Solo in Stormtrooper Disguise (Froot Loops mail-in) at a local comic store a few years back.

(2) I regret not buying Darth Sidious Hologram when I saw him that one and only time at TRU back in 1999 - 2000.

(3) I regret buying the 12" Ceremonial Luke Skywalker. God, what was I thinking???

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 08:45 PM
I regret loosing all of my vintage Star Wars toys.

I regret my brother setting our house on fire and destroying all of my old Transformers, which I took great care of.

I regret leaving my wife at home while I went to Korea for 2 weeks. Women, when left to their own devices will rumage through everything when they get the chance. She happened to go rumaging through the Star Wars room. She pulled open all the curtains and left several of my EP1 figures exposed to direct (Hawaiian) sunlight. The only figures that got sun bleached were Queen Amidal with Ascention gun, Sio Bibble, Pit Droids, Holographic Darth Sidious and Royal Guard. :rolleyes: She didn't understand why I kept the room so "closed up".:eek:

James Boba Fettfield
02-01-2003, 08:50 PM
I regret never buying a second McFarlane Metallica stage set. I own one in the box, and it was damn expensive, too. That is possibly the single most toy I have ever wanted to open and let it be displayed and played with, but my sense of value for those figures outweighed my sense of fun of playing 1988 era shows with them pretending I was their manager, Cliff. (not Burton)

EricRG
02-01-2003, 09:32 PM
Besides the day I was possessed by Bealzebub and threw out my childhood vintage figures?:crazed:

scruffziller
02-02-2003, 10:53 PM
I regret getting into collecting in the first place. It was like a drug and drained all my money, I couldn't hold on to it responsibility.

carnifexold1eye
02-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
I was just curious if anyone had any collecting regrets. Possibly something they passed on only to never find it again. Or the other way around -- You bought something (or a bunch of somethings) hoping it would increase in value only to discover it was worthless.

For me it was passing on the POTJ Tie Bomber when it first came out. I found 4 in a local TRU but didn't have the $30 to pick it up. I figured that since TRU had it and it wasn't an exclusive, I'd purchase it in a month or two. Boy was I wrong.

Anyone else?

How did you see a POTJ TIE BOmber in TRU? They were Walmart exclusives as i recall.:confused: :confused:

Dr Zoltar
02-03-2003, 11:30 AM
carnifexold1eye,

I really have no idea, but I saw 4 of them. They were away from the normal Star Wars stuff stacked on a small 2 tiered shelf near some other action figures. I seem to recall that the pilot was out of the ship posed in front of it like the B-Wing. I'm fairly certain it was a Tie Bomber I saw since the box was wide. Sadly I figured as with most of the ships, I'd wait until more came in or they went on clearance.

Jedi Master Silas
02-04-2003, 12:15 AM
My only regret is different...it is the fact that I left all my vintage toys in my grandparents house when it burned in the early 90's.

We have this bad habit of buying anything new SW that we see so I dont regret anything about that.

I do regret not buying some non SW items I've seen in the past.

LTBasker
02-04-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by Dr Zoltar
I seem to recall that the pilot was out of the ship posed in front of it like the B-Wing. I'm fairly certain it was a Tie Bomber I saw since the box was wide. Sadly I figured as with most of the ships, I'd wait until more came in or they went on clearance.

You're probably thinking of the TRU exclusive TIE Interceptor, who's pilot was reused for the TIE Bomber as well.

I have mild regrets, mainly passing up Luke with Tauntaun at Wal-Mart one night, along with times that I saw removeable helmet Vader. At that time I only bought one of each figure and opened them and had the Vader in lay-away which Wal-Mart then "lost" and I had to wait till a few years later to find the Vader with sticker marks on the bubble for $10 at a flea market.

Passing up Freeze Frame Ewoks at KB for $2.99 when I had just gotten into collecting two of each and just figured I'd see them later on.

Dr Zoltar
02-04-2003, 10:36 AM
That would make sense. Since I only saw it once, the things that stood out in my mind was that the pilot was standing in front of the ship and it was a TIE. Well, I guess I need to wash that egg off my face. :rolleyes: Still, I only saw it in the stores once and should have picked it up, but it was before the time I began collecting ships. I did see in the Interceptor at a local collector store last week but didn't check the price. I'm sure it was in the area of $50.

jjreason
02-05-2003, 07:06 AM
My only regret is moving my vintage collection for money back in summer of 95. Regret is probably too strong a word, though as my (soon to be, at that time) wife and I needed money for wedding prep and my toys netted me a nice chunk. Id really like to have a few of them back - Han in Trench Coat more than anything else. And my Jabba Set. *sniff, sniff*.

mabudonicus
02-05-2003, 08:18 AM
My only big regret was suffered recently, I saw about a dozen gold iron man's (men?) and they were all gone once I went back to check on them... it was like one case packed with the chase figure, I though there was some mistake, but no, the mistake was all mine.
Oh, and there are some Hot Wheels that I wish I didn't customize, not so much from a value standpoint, but more from a "what was I thinking, now it looks AWFUL" POV

Jargo
02-05-2003, 03:36 PM
I regret 'customising' a Starskey and Hutch car made by CORGI. It was about six inches long and quite detailed for a die cast car back in the seventies. First off, I saw Superman 2(?) where Lois Lane gets trapped in the car in the earthquake and Supes comes and rescues her by rotating the world backwards, like you do... but i took off the sticker of the white stripe on the car and made a big earthquake scene and basically crushed the car. Then i repainted it later with black paints like it was a burnt out wreck or something for a different re-enactment of a movie i liked. I wish I'd kept hold of that car intact because that was probably the coolest non star wars toy I had back then. Beat the hell out of the Smurfs anyway... :rolleyes:

The Overlord Returns
02-05-2003, 03:58 PM
During a time of difficult finances and more than a little bit of desperation, I took a hefty, hefty collection of DC Direct figures and "got rid of them" thinking I was giving up collecting in general.

Now, a near year later, and with finances back in black, I deeply regret doing this. Some of the figures I had are nowhere to be seen anymore. For anyone ever winding up in a similar position, really think about it before parting with one of your collections...you may live to deeply regret it.

Ji'dai
02-07-2003, 09:34 PM
I regret buying those rehashed silver- and gold-plated micro-machine ship sets. Especially since I already had the first versions.

I shouldn't have bought those Bend-ems either. Bleh.