PDA

View Full Version : Tales of SW Figures, part deux

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2001, 04:55 PM
This was an under-used thread in the old Forums, but I gotta keep it going!

I'll cut and paste my first one (a personal fave!) when I go back to the old Forums.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-17-2001, 04:57 PM
One that always makes me laughs, deals with 2-1B. My friends and I would take his breathing tube out of his torso (I have since lost it), and we often played with figures in mud, water, sand, etc. One time, and I have no idea why, while playing in muddy water (Dagobah? Garbage Masher scene?), we stared yelling "Dirty water! Dirty Water!" while dunking our 2-1Bs in the water. Weird? Most definately.

Eternal Padawan
08-18-2001, 02:02 AM
When I was little I thought Stormtroopers were robots, as well all the stormtrooper variants (TIE Pilot, snowtrooper, AT-AT pilot etc) so I would have all the "Robots" attacking all the aliens in these elaborate battles where everybody had a special power. Like the AT-AT pilot could freeze things, and Walrusman could shoot water. I would play for hours, keeping stats of who won and who lost. Who beat who and how many times they fought. Eventually, G.I.Joe came in and kicked butt. Stormshadow and Snake-eyes were unstoppable...

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 03:36 AM
I sense something about Eternal Padawan, something I haven't felt since....

Anyway, when I was about 10 or eleven, my brother and I were still banned from Star Wars toys (see previous Tales of Vintage Figures post) but my brother had managed to convince (read: beg) one of his friends to give him a couple of old Star Wars figures. ROTJ had just come out so all the kids were tired of their ANH and ESB figures, so my brother scored Boba Fett and Bossk! In his thoughtfulness he got one for him and one for me, but of course guess which one I got? Yes, Bossk. Sure it was a nice gesture and all, but Bossk was a pretty crappy looking figure. I would longingly look at Boba Fett then look at the Bossk I held in my hand and considered myself the unluckiest kid in the world. I mean his hands and feet didn't even match the color of his head!!

Eventually we traded them for ROTJ figures; I got a Gamorrean and my brother got Squidhead, and we were both happy.

The moral? For some oddball reason Bossk is one of my favorite vintage figures, probably purely for nostalgia value. Because he really is a crappy looking figure!:cool:

Rollo Tomassi
08-18-2001, 11:34 AM
You traded Bossk for a gammorean and were HAPPY??!?! What the GONK!? Are you crazy? Fat action figures are NOT cool. Malikili? Lame. Porkins? please... And trading vintage FETT for Squidhead is grounds for an arse whuppin...

bigbarada
08-18-2001, 01:02 PM
At the time it seemed like a good idea (remember I was like 10), but now...

My brother trading Fett for seafood face was a pretty dumb idea.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-18-2001, 10:08 PM
I traded virtually all my G.I. Joe stuff for SW items. Not just figures. Blue Jedi Luke saber, Jedi Luke cloak, guns, etc. I was a fool, I think. I did get SW Han, DS Droid, Walrusman, and more, though.

humsup
08-18-2001, 10:11 PM
When I was little, my SW toys actually knew Kung-Fu!! Living in an Oriental society, I was always bombard with Chinese movies from Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan etc. So, Stormtroopers and imperial lackey were always beaten crap by Luke Hoth and my personal favourite - Han Hoth. But my family was quite poor then, I can only afford figures and there was no vehicles or beast I can own for play. So the scenario is always like Kung-Fu fighting and their blaster was no good.

Eternal Padawan
08-19-2001, 09:36 AM
Hoth Han did have a nifty chopping hand didn't he?

bigbarada
08-19-2001, 04:59 PM
I remember when I was in 11th and 12th grade, 1990-91, many of my friends suddenly felt "too mature" to have Star Wars toys, so they were getting rid of stuff left and right. My brother and I scored a jackpot from one friend who was 'growing up.' We got an AT-AT, Millenium Falcon, Rancor, B-Wing, TIE FIghter, Snowspeeder, AT-ST, Imperial Attack Base, Speeder Bike, and a slew of figures for $50!!!:eek: :D :D

I also mananged to get a perfect condition AT-AT Driver and Commander for $5 each from another friend, and my brother got a SW Vinyl carrying case, Boba Fett, and more figures for free from someone else!!

High School was a great time to be a Star Wars collector!;)

darth chuck
08-20-2001, 09:57 PM
When I was a kid, I had my GI Joe Cobra Army ( 12 troopers, 4 officers plus all the other Cobra baddies & vehicles) invade the star wars universe and fight wars against my imperial army (16 stormies, 6 Snowtroopers, 2 DS troopers, 2 Imp officers, etc ) GI joes and the rebel alliance never stood a chance against my Cobra/Stormtrooper armies.

When I turned 18, I sold over 100 GI Joes and 20 vehicles to my buddies little brothers for $20. Still feel stupid for that.

Fortunately, I packed away my star wars collection in fairly good condition and today have everything except the B-Wing, skiff and Imp shuttle.

Eternal Padawan
08-21-2001, 01:37 AM
if only darth chuck knew e-bay was right around the corner...:(

badtaste
08-21-2001, 04:54 PM
My first memory, I think I was 5 ears old, was my mother gave me and my brother a stormtrooper and c3-po.
I can't explain the experience I had that moment. Holy canalony... I wonder a lot of times, what makes someone collecting. What is the mechanism?

I don't know, a lot of times I tried to escape, especialy when we felt to mature about in my teen years,like someone said before.

El Chuxter
08-22-2001, 05:57 PM
I posted this on the old boards, but I think it's still amusing. Before I got ROTJ Jabba, I used a 4" tall ET as Jabba. And since there was no chance of Kenner making a Slave Leia, Hoth Leia took her place.

Once, after I started playing with GI Joes, I (for reasons still unknown) acted out Star Wars with GI Joe figures. I don't remember who was who except that Blowtorch was Luke and Snake Eyes was Vader. Most of the time, though, when I played Star Wars it was with the right figures, though the more armored looking Cobras (Crimson Guard, Eels, etc) were Elite Stormtroopers. And a red figure of some sort from Tron that I got from a cousin was the Stormtrooper Commander.

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 12:59 AM
This event happened prior to the mentally scarring Tusken Raider incident I related in the old forums. Back around 1980 when I was in second grade, my brother and I had all of the original twelve figures except for Han. My favorite figure this particular week was the Death Squad Commander. I carried him with me everywhere I went, I even made up a whole life story for him and gave him a name (Don't ask, I don't remember). Well while I was taking out the trash I didn't want to put my new favorite figure down so I carried him with me in the sane hand I carried the trash in. You guessed it, he end up in the dumpster with the garbage. Being seven years old, this was a major crisis, and my dad was uncharacteristically sympathetic. So my dad went dumpster diving for a little plastic action figure. Sadly he never found my Death Squad Commander but he did find some cool toy trains.

I've since bought a replacement, but I keep him in a safe place and NEVER take him out with the garbage.;)

Mandalorian Candidat
08-27-2001, 04:10 PM
I have an interesting little story about a couple of my vintage figures that happened just the other day. But please, before I start don't think I'm weird or have some kind of funky fetish or anything. (Crap, MC it's too late. They're already calling the men in white...)

I have the Emperor, Admiral Ackbar, and the rebel Hoth soldier on my desk at home. I was typing something on the computer when the Emperor and AA fell down. I couldn't help but laugh because the Emperor fell on top of AA from behind and it looked like they were having some interspecies monkey love. What made it even funnier was that the Hoth soldier happened to be facing them with a pistol in his hand like he was forcing them at gunpoint.

Emperor: Admiral Ackbar, I'll turn you over to the dark side.
Ackbar: It's a trap.
Soldier: Your 'tauntaun' will freeze before you reach the first marker.

Truly, an idle mind is the devil's playground.

JediCole
08-28-2001, 04:46 PM
I think a lot of these stories underscore a chief complaint I had about Hasbro up until recently when they woke up and realized how big an adult collector market they have in Star Wars. I promise you that they would not have had a toy tour of the convention circuit when POTF2 was launched and the prevailing attitude was that Star Wars toys are just toys and toys are for kids (5 to 12).
That was most of the complaint, because Hasbro used that deterimation to exclude many characters from production. Though they slowly admitted to the presence of an adult market, they still viewed it as an isignificant minority. This we know. But there is more. This perception meant that core characters were king because it was reasoned that kids only wanted the characters they recognize. Granted I was 12 when the Early Bird Set was released, but I collected right up to the bitter end and even my younger brother (four years younger) recognized every single character produced in the original lines. The practical offshoot of Hasbro's perception is that they assume that Star Wars figures are just that, figureines of Star Wars characters and kids only play Star Wars scenes and adventures with them. Quite the contrary. In my experience back in the day, most kids played Star Wars for about a week, then used the figures to represent their own characters.
My brother and I used to develop elaborate scenarios with our (vintage) figures, using Luke and Leia as the rulers of a lush jungle world full of strange fish, reptile, and beat people, some allies, some enemies. And as I grew older, the figures became the templates for a huge pantheon of super hero characters my best friend and I created. In college I actually began to script serious comic stories featuring many of the characters we created in those days. I am hopeful a whole new generation can be thusly inspired by their figures, as both Star Wars characters and as the physical representations of thier own creations.

Rollo Tomassi
08-28-2001, 10:04 PM
My Death Star Commander was one of the few SW figures who got beheaded during the course of playtime. Bespin Luke was another. Bossk lost an arm, as did Ig-88. I think their were about 12 in total who fell to 'rough play" syndrome. When we moved, they were in a separate box from my other vintage figures along with my broken X-wing. That box and the damaged figures and X-wing were never seen again...

evenflow
08-29-2001, 07:49 AM
Although I never really destroyed my toys, I did have battles with different things. It was always Star Wars vs. He-man vs. Thundercats.

El Chuxter
08-29-2001, 01:02 PM
Remember how a lot of the ESB figures had removable heads? I used to interchange the heads and come up with some weird "disguises" for characters: Bossk in AT-AT Commander disguise, Luke Skywalker in Han Solo Hoth Disguise, etc.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-29-2001, 03:50 PM
El C., I did the same thing! I still have loose Bespin Luke, Bespin Guard, and Squid Head heads, and my oldest Hoth Han's head is glued on. (Not that he has a younger and an older head, but that, oh nevermind!). The Biker Scout was the most popular one, since Stormtroopers didn't have removable heads, but somehow he survived the gulliotine (sp?).

Lobito
09-21-2001, 05:40 PM
I would play with my SW figures for hours...there was no force bigger than that in my world, i would quit soccer, Atari, etc. Anyway, whenever i had a new figure i would take him with me to school, that was until one day the teacher saw me showing Amanaman to a friend of mine...she caught Amanaman and locked him in her locker!!! That figure stood there for 3 months, when i got him back i never again took my figures to school. hehehe...:p :cool: