PDA

View Full Version : Yellowing Figures?

Lman316
01-15-2003, 05:00 PM
I know this could relate to any white-armored figure from any of the lines, but right now I'm mostly concerned with the Clone Troopers, so that's why it's in the Saga section.

I know that when a figure like a Clone Trooper or Stormtrooper is played with that the color can begin to fade or become dingy. Well, for those reasons, I hadn't played with my CommTech Stormtroopers, as I couldn't find many of them and I wouldn't have been able to replace them if I played with them too much.
But with the Clone Troopers (the commanders), I've been playing with. And recently I pulled the container out of storage to play a bit more and I've noticed that they're starting to get a bit yell-ah.

Is there any remedy for this? Rather then having to paint it or something like that, can any cleaner be applied that will take the yellow away without damaging the figure?

Just thought I'd ask.

End...

The Overlord Returns
01-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Man, you should see what happens to a stormtrooper in a smokers household..........

I've got my CC stormies under protective glass to stop the nicotine staining.

Jayspawn
01-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Nobody in my house smokes so my Stormtroopers and Clones are very safe. They yellowing also happens when they get dirty.

Darth Sidious
01-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Nobody in my house smokes either, and they are all in my room, which is very dark. My 1995 Stormtrooper (Let alone the clones) is still as white as ever. Keep them away from sunlight, it can cause a photochemical reaction in the plastic, making it yellow. Wipe them off with a clean rag or paper towel when you're done using them. There is no known cure for yellowing as of now. Remember kids, prevention is the key! :D

jobi
01-15-2003, 09:52 PM
When I was a kid we used Soft Scrub to clean our Stormtroopers. I remember this really cleaning the crap out of them and making them like new.

Beast
01-15-2003, 10:00 PM
Someone mentioned here a long time ago, to try that stuff that you can use to put rubber on the ends of tools. It was like a dip goo stuff, that when you pulled it out, it would dry to a rubber cover around the end of metal tools. And then you peel it off, and it made the figure almost like new. I forget what the stuff is called, but I've seen it recommended in the past on a few forums. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
01-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Like Darth Sidious had mentioned- Keep out of sunlight. Don't have your figures displayed where the sun can reach them. The UV rays will degrade the plastic, causting the "yellowing". Staining is another thing, mostly caused by the smoke.

=MATT=

Darth Evil
01-16-2003, 03:26 PM
No one in my house smokes, so thankfully I don't have that problem.

Jargo
01-16-2003, 04:36 PM
Turn off the heating where you keep the figures. heat causes yellowing especially on higher shelves or shelves near radiators etc. If there's no heat in the room itself check where the heat might come from like straight up the stairs from the downstairs rooms. Obviously heat rises and if the room the toys are kept in is in the path of the hot air then it's going to build up and heat up and eventually yellow your figures. Don't put white figures next to a wall but at the front of a shelf. The heated air will travel up the wall behind the shelf and the figures at the back will yellow first.
Wash the figures with a mild detergent every once in a while. the kind you hand wash dishes with. It's the natural oils from your skin which stains the white plastic. Wash the oils off with the detergent and for one thing you'll add a microfine protective film over the plastic and secondly you'll remove the nasty grease.

Other colors to look after are pale green, greys and light blues. Greedo has that pale green outfit which will discolor soon as look at it. Taun We could also be a candidate. Just any figure with light colored plastic.