PDA

View Full Version : Sequels to Dominate 2003 Movie Lineup

stillakid
01-15-2003, 05:21 PM
By DAVID GERMAIN
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Sequels succeeded so well in 2002 that film studios have decided to do an encore.

2003 will see about two dozen followup movies, along with a few prequels - some craved by audiences for a decade or more, others hitting theaters less than a year after their predecessors.

The four-year wait for a followup to the sci-fi smash ``The Matrix'' ends in a big way: In May, Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne and Carrie-Anne Moss continue to battle Earth's machine conquerers in ``The Matrix Reloaded,'' followed just six months later by ``The Matrix Revolutions,'' the trilogy's end.

Those sequels were shot simultaneously, like the three installments of Peter Jackson's ``The Lord of the Rings,'' whose current chapter, ``The Two Towers,'' is on track to surpass the box-office results of 2001's ``The Fellowship of the Ring.''

There's only about 330 days of impatient pacing left till the final chapter of the fantasy epic, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's novels, arrives. ``The Return of the King'' opens just before Christmas.

By contrast, it's been 12 years since Arnold Schwarzenegger's cyborg-from-the-future promised he'd be back. He returns over the Fourth of July in ``Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines,'' battling a female cyborg sent back by evil machines to snuff the now-adult savior of humanity, John Connor.

Given the success of 2002 franchises such as ``The Lord of the Rings,'' ``Star Wars,'' ``Harry Potter,'' ``Austin Powers'' and ``Men in Black,'' it's hard to knock the business sense in giving audiences more of the same.

``Studios want to make movies people want to see. It's all about getting butts in the seats,'' said John Singleton, director of the upcoming ``The Fast and the Furious 2.'' ``People respond to characters they admire and love. If you've had a successful film with characters like that, why not make a followup?''

Other 2003 sequels include: Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen and the rest of the superhuman mutants in the new ``X-Men'' chapter, ``X2''; ``Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle,'' reuniting Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore and Lucy Liu; ``American Wedding,'' in which some of the ``American Pie'' gang attend the nuptials of gross-gag victim Jason Biggs and band geek Alyson Hannigan; and ``Lara Croft: Tomb Raider - The Cradle of Life,'' with Angelina Jolie back in action as the roaming hero of the video game.

Antonio Banderas reprises his gunslinging ``Desperado'' role in ``Once Upon a Time in Mexico''; Reese Witherspoon has a new day in court with ``Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde''; Jackie Chan and Owen Wilson follow up ``Shanghai Noon'' with ``Shanghai Knights''; and Bruce Willis and Matthew Perry of ``The Whole Nine Yards'' make a new hitman comedy, ``The Whole Ten Yards.''

There's also ``Barbershop 2,'' ``Bad Boys II,'' ``Jungle Book 2,'' ``Spy Kids 3'' and ``Scary Movie 3.''

This year brings some cross-breeding among series: There's the animated ``The Rugrats Meet the Wild Thornberrys,'' and the slasher duel ``Freddy Vs. Jason,'' matching the killers of ``A Nightmare on Elm Street'' and ``Friday the 13th.''

On the prequel front are ``Gods and Generals,'' with Robert Duvall in a forerunner to ``Gettysburg''; ``Exorcist: The Beginning,'' with Stellan Skarsgard as the priest of the horror smash in his first satanic encounter, in Africa; and ``When Harold Met Lloyd: Dumb & Dumberer,'' set in the teen years of the idiot brothers of ``Dumb and Dumber.''

Other movie highlights for winter and spring, generally Hollywood's slowest period, include:

Ben Affleck as the superhero of the comic-book adaptation ``Daredevil''; ``National Security,'' pairing Martin Lawrence and Steve Zahn as ex-cops relegated to guard jobs; and ``The Hunted,'' with Tommy Lee Jones as a tracker chasing an assassin (Benicio Del Toro).

Also, ``Veronica Guerin,'' starring Cate Blanchett as the slain Irish reporter who crusaded against crime; Al Pacino in the CIA thriller ``The Recruit''; ``The Life of David Gale,'' featuring Kevin Spacey as a death-penalty opponent who lands on Death Row; and ``Tears of the Sun,'' with Bruce Willis as a Navy SEAL on a rescue mission.

Adam Sandler offers a spring prelude to the busy summer season with ``Anger Management,'' playing a peaceable man whose outburst on an airplane puts him under the care of a rage adviser (Jack Nicholson).

For Nicholson, ``Anger Management'' offered a slapstick respite from the dark humor of his current film, ``About Schmidt.''

``I just went in the opposite direction, and I often do that. I just like to blow it out the other side,'' Nicholson said. ``This one is antic comedy. That's everything I always get bad reviews for, but hopefully it's also what the public loves.''

Along with the rush of sequels, which generally start arriving just before Memorial Day, summer flicks include:

The animated under-the-sea tale ``Finding Nemo,'' from the creators of ``Toy Story'' and ``Monsters, Inc.'', and the animated above-the-water adventure ``Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas''; Jim Carrey's comedy ``Bruce Almighty,'' about a man given God's omnipotent powers; the comic-book adaptation ``The Hulk''; and Russell Crowe in the high-seas adventure ``Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.''

Also, Ridley Scott's con-man caper ``Matchstick Men,'' starring Nicolas Cage; Eddie Murphy's comedy among the kiddies, ``Daddy Day Care''; Kevin Costner's return to directing with ``Open Range,'' co-starring Robert Duvall; and the unusual hybrid ``The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,'' starring Sean Connery in a meeting of Victorian literary characters from the works of Jules Verne, H.G. Wells, Bram Stoker and others.

Among big fall and holiday releases:

Mike Myers in ``Dr. Seuss' the Cat in the Hat''; Tom Cruise in ``The Last Samurai,'' about a U.S. soldier teaching modern warfare in 1870s Japan; ``Cold Mountain,'' starring Nicole Kidman in an adaptation of the best-seller set during the Civil War; the Coen brothers' battle-of-the-sexes story ``Intolerable Cruelty,'' with George Clooney; Julia Roberts as a freethinking art professor in ``Mona Lisa Smile''; ``Out of Time,'' starring Denzel Washington as a cop troubled by a double homicide; Uma Thurman as a vengeful former assassin in Quentin Tarantino's ``Kill Bill''; and ``The Alamo,'' with Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid in a new dramatization of the infamous last stand.

01/15/03 17:00 EST
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. The information contained in the AP news report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or otherwise distributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

El Chuxter
01-15-2003, 05:41 PM
I don't know what's scarier: American Wedding or Tomb Raider II. The very idea of either makes me want to vomit. On the one hand, we have beating a dead horse a second time; on the other, a (presumably high-budget) sequel to a commerical and critical flop.

Oh, and most of the others sound bad, too.

The Overlord Returns
01-15-2003, 05:48 PM
I didn't see it listed in there, but Pirates of the Carribean looks to be a great flick.....

wedgeA
01-15-2003, 07:12 PM
The problem with this year's sequel crop is that most of it is stuff that I could care less about. 2002 produced sequels from mega-franchises that heightened anticipation. Although the quality ranged from great (Two Towers) to good (EP2, ST: Nemesis) to pedestrian (Harry Potter, Die Another Day), at least I looked forward to seeing many of these films. I have no desire to see another Bad Boys, Tomb Raider, American Pie, or Charlie's Angels film.

Also, what is it with Marvel pimping out their titles? I think there is a serious risk of saturation with these films. They should take time and develop their flagship properties instead of churning out second tier work. I can't believe that Daredevil will become a film before a Fantastic Four or Avengers epic sees the light of day.

2-1B
01-16-2003, 03:52 AM
John Singleton is directing the sequel to "Fast and the Furious" ? :confused:

Oh boy, and here I see it's titled "2 Fast 2 Furious." :D

scruffziller
01-16-2003, 08:44 AM
I thought Liam Neeson was going to be Father Merrin in the Exorcist prequel.

JON9000
01-16-2003, 10:10 AM
Man I feel like an old fogey, but so much crap is coming out now. Hopefully some more decent stuff will come out next fall like Catch Me if You Can.

Eternal Padawan
01-17-2003, 10:57 AM
"The Whole Ten Yards"?!?!!?

Please tell me they dropped that in there so David Germain can do a follow up contest later on going "O.K. which sequel in my story did I totally just pull out of my āss? Winner gets a free steak at Outback!"

2-1B
01-17-2003, 12:21 PM
Maybe if it's successful we'll get 8 prequels, starting with The Whole One Yard.

Patient Zero
01-17-2003, 12:48 PM
I am actually really looking forward to the Matrix sequals. Not to bash E1/E2, but I am getting really tired of all these 99.9% CGI movies. I am going to start a "Bring back puppet Yoda" campaign.

Prince Xizor
01-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Wow, there looks to be a lot of good and bad movies this year. I most looking forward to Return Of The King, and The Matrix sequels.

I didn't know that they were making a Desperado sequel, I think that is very cool.

And I can't decide which movie title is worse, 2 Fast 2 Furious, or The Whole Ten Yards. Stupid Just Plain Stupid.

stillakid
01-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Maybe if it's successful we'll get 8 prequels, starting with The Whole One Yard.

LOL! :D

El Chuxter
01-17-2003, 03:09 PM
Maybe I'm the only person in America who thinks this, but I'm not particularly looking forward to the Matrix sequels. The first one ended pretty well, and I'm certainly not looking forward to every other movie Hollywood puts out for the next two years to rip off more Matrix stuff. We're just now getting over the cheesy black leather and slow-motion action sequences.

Yes, I said "cheesy" in conjunction with "Matrix." Wanna make something of it? :Pirate:

SQueek
01-18-2003, 01:04 PM
well it looks like alot of kool movies are in the last, hidden among the mounds of crap anyways.

stillakid
01-18-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
Maybe I'm the only person in America who thinks this, but I'm not particularly looking forward to the Matrix sequels. The first one ended pretty well, and I'm certainly not looking forward to every other movie Hollywood puts out for the next two years to rip off more Matrix stuff. We're just now getting over the cheesy black leather and slow-motion action sequences.

Yes, I said "cheesy" in conjunction with "Matrix." Wanna make something of it? :Pirate:

No, I'm with you. I wasn't fooled by the superficial (yet innovative) sfx of the Matrix. Another great sci-fi concept ruined by the arbitrary and illogical use of kung fu (? where the heck did kung fu come in to the picture. Criminy)

Beast
01-18-2003, 02:14 PM
Cool, nice to see other people that arn't hailing "The Matrix" as the best movie ever made. I'll agree with the cheesy comments, as well as including lame and hokey. The plot just felt like it was overlooked, to just showcase the gee-wizz effects.

*Waits for bricks to be launched in his direction* ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-18-2003, 04:56 PM
I like the Matrix a lot. It's not the best movie ever, but I did like the story, the special effects, the music, and the kung-fu. But then again I love most kung-fu movies. It's not for everyone......but I have noticed that in the last year, Matrix-haters have been spawning like rabbits. No skin off my back though.

odb
01-18-2003, 05:10 PM
Yeah, but the best bit about the Fast and the Furious 2 is the cars they are using, some fast, exotic, rare, no they're using Hyundais. Great choice:confused: This film will be so bad

El Chuxter
01-18-2003, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a "Matrix-hater." I thought it was a fun movie, but was tremendously overrated. It annoyed me that the X-Men had to wear black leather, that every single movie for a couple of years had to use similar slow-motion rotating action sequences, that the could've-been-incredible Superman Lives was pretty much killed because various producers wanted it to be more Matrix-like.

I don't think it needs a sequel. The ending was solid enough. While I can understand why Hollywood wants to bank on a sure thing, it really annoys me that good movies that have a definite ending get continued ad nauseum. Sometimes a sequel is warranted; more often it isn't. For example, American Pie ended in my book. Jim never saw Michelle again. Period. And that bad joke of a Stargate TV series never happened. I don't need more of either one of those, since watching a bad continuation is more likely to lessen my opinion of the original. And I think The Matrix is one of those flicks that's going to stand alone in my mind.

QLD
01-18-2003, 06:01 PM
I actually liked American Pie 2. I thought it was pretty close to being as good as the first. Though they are pushing it with another sequel.

I don't think the Matrix needs a sequel either. I will go see it, and give it a chance, but I have my doubts it will be as good, simply because the idea is not fresh anymore.

I liked the X-Men in black leather, simply because I think it might have been difficult to do their comic costumes. And the last thing I want to see is CGI costumes.

mini-rock
01-19-2003, 02:13 AM
Love The Matrix, and will see them plus ROTK this year. The first film just scratched the surface. I know a couple people who were working on the films who have shared a little info and these will be beyond what we saw in the first Matrix.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2003, 01:04 PM
I'm looking forward to "X2". I'm not a big fan of X-Men other than the movie, though. I heard Kitty Pride and Jubilee will be in this one. Dear God.:dead: It's too bad they still won't put in Beast, he's kind of cool.

stillakid
01-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Dear god, I knew that people's standards were low, but this is downright depressing....

By SANDRA MARQUEZ
.c The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) - A kangaroo hopped past comedian Martin Lawrence at the weekend box office.

``Kangaroo Jack,'' a comedy about two hapless pals trying to retrieve missing mob money from a kangaroo in Australia, edged into first place in its debut weekend, taking in $17.7 million, according to studio estimates Sunday.

``National Security,'' an action comedy starring Martin Lawrence and Steve Zahn as ex-cops who crack a smuggling ring, opened at No. 2, earning an estimated $15.7 million.

Last weekend's No. 1 film, ``Just Married,'' fell to third place with an estimated $12.5 million. The romantic comedy starring Brittany Murphy and Ashton Kutcher as mismatched newlyweds has taken in $34 million since opening last weekend.

With Hollywood awaiting the upcoming Oscar nominations and the outcome of Sunday's Golden Globe awards, light comedy ruled the weekend box office.

``At this time of year when we are used to seeing all these Oscar contenders, we forget that something like this can be very popular and take the No. 1 spot at the box office,'' said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

``People must really be in the mood to laugh.''

Overall the weekend's top 12 films took in $105.9 million, up a fraction of a percent from the same weekend last year and down 2.6 percent from last weekend.

``It's not a record-breaking Martin Luther King weekend, but it is a solid weekend,'' Dergarabedian said.

Dan Fellan, head of distribution for Warner Bros., which released ``Kangaroo Jack,'' said the film starring Jerry O'Connell and Anthony Anderson appealed to a wide audience - from ages ``8 to 80.''

``It's not just one of those cases where they drag the kids to the movies,'' Fellan said.

``National Security'' proved popular with a broad, ethnically mixed audience, said Rory Bruer, president of distribution for Sony Pictures.

Bruer attributed the film's appeal to ``Martin, who's a very funny man, and it's a really good vehicle for him.''

In fourth place was ``The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,'' which brought in an estimated $11.4 million in its fifth week out for a total of $299 million.

The film is poised to make movie history Monday when studio officials predict it will surpass the $300 million mark, said John Smith of Newline Cinema's publicity department.

Of the films released in 2002, only two others have topped the $300 million mark, Dergarabedian said. ``Spider-Man'' brought in $403.7 million and ``Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones,'' brought in $310.3, he said.

Among films expected to do well at the award shows, ``The Hours,'' starring Meryl Streep, Nicole Kidman and Julianne Moore, earned an estimated $4.7 million in its fourth week, for a total of $7.4 million.

Released by Paramount Studios in late 2002, ``The Hours'' broadened to 402 theaters and took in an estimated $11,754 per-screen.

``We are just thrilled with its performance,'' said Nancy Kirkpatrick, Paramount's executive vice president of worldwide publicity.

The strategy is similar to the approach used for films such as ``Chicago,'' ``About Schmidt'' and ``Antwone Fisher,'' Dergarabedian said.

Estimated ticket sales for Friday through Sunday at North American theaters, according to Exhibitor Relations Co. Inc. Final figures will be released Tuesday.

1. ``Kangaroo Jack,'' $17.7 million.

2. ``National Security,'' $15.7 million.

3. ``Just Married,'' $12.5 million.

4. ``The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers,'' $11.4 million.

5. ``Catch Me If You Can,'' $11.3 million.

6. ``Chicago,'' $8 million.

7. ``A Guy Thing,'' $7.1 million.

8. ``About Schmidt,'' $6.3 million.

9. ``The Hours,'' $4.7 million.

10. ``Two Weeks Notice,'' $4.1 million.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Umm . . . what does Kangaroo Jack have to do with 2003 sequels? Perhaps you meant to click on "New Thread" but instead clicked "Post Reply"?
Hmm . . .

James Boba Fettfield
01-19-2003, 10:17 PM
I'm looking forward to a lot of those movie sequels that are mentioned in the article. Lots of good movies that I can watch with my friends over the summer. I'm going to have fun with the movies, not to try and point out errors and flaws. If I wanted to watch some intellectually stimulating show, I'd stay home and watch my taped episode of NOVA on the Human Genome Project. Not that I am against "smart movies", but I do enjoy movies that allow me to just enjoy myself. That being said, the Matrix sequels are about the greatest thing I've got lined up this year, and Rise of the Machines.

Fulit
01-20-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Dear god, I knew that people's standards were low, but this is downright depressing....

C'mon! How can you resist a movie who's tagline is "...And now he hoppin' away"???????

Fulit
01-20-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
It's too bad they still won't put in Beast, he's kind of cool.

Am I crazy, or should they put Henry Rollins in blue makeup and glasses and have him play Beast? He has always looked like Beast to me for some reason. Watch, they'll end up getting Ahnold to play him instead.

2-1B
02-01-2009, 04:44 PM
or worse than that, the guy who played Frazier. :(