PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro's Fans' Choice Poll IS A FRAUD - results attributed to cheating!

Tycho
01-15-2003, 09:25 PM
The facts documented by all of us on these forums here support the undeniable conclusion that someone is cheating, hacking, or otherwise defrauding the Hasbro's Fans' Choice Poll.

Check this out:

One percentage point is a huge change in this poll.

I assumed there was 1 million votes.

.01 x 1,000,000 = 10,000 (Ten Thousand)

Now using this thread and POSTS FROM PEOPLE RIGHT HERE, we have:

According to JarJarBinks on DECEMBER 23, 2002, at 8:13 pm:

General Jan Dodonna : 31 %
Captain Antilles : 23 %
Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 22 %
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 %
Rabé : 12 %

According to TwoDotTatooine on DECEMBER 25, 2002, at 8:14am:

Yarua... 19%
Quadinaros... 12%
Rabe... 13%
Capt. Antilles... 23%
Gen. Dodonna... 32%

According to BanthaPooDoo on DECEMBER 26, 2002 at 9:31 am:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 20 %
Rabé : 13 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 32 %

According to Rogue2 on DECEMBER 30, 2002, at 4:44pm:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 21 %
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer): 12 %
Rabé: 13 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna: 31 %
Captain Antilles: 23 %

According to Corporal AMF on JANUARY 3, 2003 at 1:47pm:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 21 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 31 %
Captain Antilles : 23

According to KidHuman on JANUARY 6, 2003 at 3:24pm:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 21 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 30 %

According to SirSteve on JANUARY 15, 2003 at sometime this morning from midnight up until 11:52 am:

Gen. Jan Dodonna : 29 %
Captain Antilles : 25 %

According to BanthaPooDoo on January 15, 2003 at 11:52 am:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 23 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 27 %
Captain Antilles : 25 %

Remember if 1 million people voted, 1 percentage point equals 10 thousand votes!

If only 100, 000 people voted, 1 percent still amounts to 1,000 people voting only as of this morning.

By contrast, I posted this site's current poll for which playset you all want to see next up on January 13, 2003, at 5:13 pm and now after 48 hours we have 1023 votes total on a new poll that has been up 2 days on one SW fan site.

On Hasbro's official site, we have over 2000 votes in about 12 hours, on a poll that has been around since December 23 last year!

Don't tell me this isn't suspicious! If Dodonna loses, I just give up on these. Sure - all the figures offered give them a test market demand figure and if 1million voted, they can rest assured that even if Yarua loses this contest, it'd be worth making his figure because they could sell 230,000 units of it.

But watch what the voting means.

If only 1000 people voted than a 2% change between Steve's post and BanthaPooDoo's means that 200 people only just heard about this poll for the first time since December 23, and all of them learned of it in the last twelve hours. - and that's assuming (obviously erroniously) that more people vote on SirSteve's polls in 2 days, than on Hasbro's poll in 4 weeks.....right.)

jobi
01-15-2003, 09:28 PM
yeah but now it's:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 24 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 26 %
Captain Antilles : 26 %

So maybe they'll make both.

Beast
01-15-2003, 09:32 PM
1% or even 2% is not a huge change, when you consider the numbers round up and round down. But now it's obvious that someone is stuffing the ballot box to be cute. And it appears to be someone that actually visits the websites, and sees what the most popular choices are. Then the start stuffing the ballot box, for the 3rd highest to push it over the top of the other two that are splitting votes.

Just like how they easily did it to the Imperial SketchTrooper. They saw that the majority backed either Riekeen or the Dignitary, so they started stuffing for the SketchTrooper. The same thing happened with the Twi'Lek Massuse, but atleast Hasbro did a recount in that case and threw out a ton of false votes. They need to do that again in this case.

Somewhere some little shmuck is sitting and laughing, cause he's screwing up the Fan Polls. Making sure that the Fan Favorite Figures, is one that wouldn't normally win. A new way of doing these polls needs to be established. Maybe sending in between 100-200 Jedi Master Points to get 1 vote. That way, the collector fans get to actually choose the figures. Not some lil arsehead out there somewhere. :mad:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-15-2003, 10:00 PM
I spoke with my friend that's a webmaster of another Star Wars fan site. He said that Hasbro sent out e-mails today to everyone on their e-mail list.

I'm pretty sure I am on their list, but I received nothing as of 7:30 pm PST.

Anyone get a StarWars e-mail that included instructions to go and vote? Anyone on any Star Wars kids' mailing lists?

I could see kids turning away from Dodonna, but first I want to confirm that this e-mail was sent out by Hasbro or StarWars.com.

jobi
01-15-2003, 10:02 PM
Yeah I got one. here is what it said:

Let Us Know What New Action Figure You Want

You only have until Eight O'clock AM Eastern Time on Monday,
January 20 to cast your vote in the 5th STAR WARS Fans'
Choice Figure Poll.

Click on the link below, log on, cast your vote and stay
tuned, because whichever character receives the most votes
will become the next Fans' Choice figure. Remember, only one
vote per registered visitor so choose wisely.

----------------
SEND TO A FRIEND
Include your friends in the voting action, click on the link below:

------------------

We at Hasbro believe we are sending this email with your
permission. If you feel you have received this message in
error, please click the link below, and you will be removed
from this list promptly:

At Hasbro, we respect your right to privacy. To view our
Privacy Policy statement, please click here:

(C) 2002 Hasbro, Inc. All audio, visual, and textual content
in this message (including all names, characters, images,
trademarks, and logos) are protected by trademarks, rights,
copyrights, and other rights owned by Hasbro or by Hasbro's
licensors, licensees, suppliers, and accounts. Click here
for more details:

(C) 2002 Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM or (R) where indicated.
All rights reserved. Used under authorization

*Edit*I deleted the links cause they were to my account.

Sidiously Darth
01-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Well, here's something else that doesn't surprise me.:rolleyes:

I was happy with the Duros, Amanaman & Ephant Mon. All good figures, two that had never been made and Amanaman was another of the few remaining vintage that needed to be made.:)

Then the crap starts hitting the fan. $150 for a ship from a bankrupt company, FAO, that should only be around $80 at the most.:confused: Heck, we got a gun ship for $40 & I got mine for $30 b/c of price matching.

Then the wanna-be, saber wielding, never made it to the big screen mockup gets voted into figure status.:confused: :confused:

We know someone's been tinkling in the voting pool but who's going to stop them? This is crap and we know it. I voted for Rieekan and the good ol' General. That's all I could do.

"Begun this clone voting has."

Sidiously Darth
01-15-2003, 10:07 PM
BTW, I got the email. Funny since I already voted...

Jargo
01-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Or it could just be that some people have been busy after the holiday break and only just got their e-mail telling them there was a poll on. not everyone has a life ruled by star wars collecting y'know. The world is a pretty big place and although i knew about the poll because i got the news here or at some other collector site i too only just got the e-mail ith the news of the poll so if i was relying on that e-mail newsletter for collecting news then that's the first chance I'd have had to place my vote.

Not that I'm sying that's the case i'm just presenting an alternative argument for the hell of it. Frankly i'm past caring at all about the screwy fan's choices. My choices are never the winner so i don't give a monkeys to be honest who wins or whether no-one wins and Hasbro cancels. They've just about drained all the fun out of toys this last couple of years so what's the point honestly. Why waste energy getting steamed up over something so trivial. There's more to life than boy meets toy - boy gets toy.

Screw the fan's choice polls. Just make the damn toys and stop the p***ing about.

Beast
01-15-2003, 10:08 PM
Yep, I got the same E-Mail myself. Maybe the large influx of votes are from people that don't belong to any fan sites, and didn't know about the voting until they got the E-mail. Got it in my E-Mail box at 10:52 AM, which was before the votes started really changing. So like Jargo said, it is possible. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stad
01-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah, I got the email today too, and noticed the huge jump the Wookie has made. What a bunch of crap.

Tycho
01-16-2003, 01:29 AM
I don't oppose the Wookiee figure. In fact I want one.

Just not at the expense of never getting a speaking-character that took a larger role in one of the movies.

I usually take the route of voting for the figure I think is least likely to be made, but could be the most useful or dynamic of the grouping:

I voted for the Duros before because Amanaman stood a chance of being done (he lost to the Duros the first poll) because they are likely going to (hopefully will) re-do all the vintage figures. Duros are simply more well-traveled than Bom Vimdim, and can substitute for Niemoidian pilots because they are related to Duros and probably originated as a species there (colonizing Niemoidia). Eeth Koth and Teemto fit categories, as in let's have all the Jedi Masters and all the Pod Racers. The Duro was the most unique outstanding choice that didn't fit a mold. I was glad to help him win.

I voted for Amanaman the next time around for the same reason. Yarael Poof is a High Council Member and will likely be made. Derlin and Ozzel are minor screen-time characters of lesser importance than seay Rieeken and Veers for Rebs and Imps respectively. I would rather have that second pair than these others. Ben Quadrinaros is not the most interesting or realistic Pod Racer - especially without his 4 engine Pod.

I voted for Ephant Mon the next time because he would be a large figure and quite an investment for Hasbro. I didn't want them to have any excuse not to make him. I'd wanted him since Jedi and here you have a non-two-arms-two-legs alien that can be very nicely done - and look at the great figure we got! This was the toughest poll to vote on because Rieeken and R1-G4 are two figures I very much want that do not fit into an obvious "figures to do category." Even Piel is a cool Jedi Master, but he'll be done as they complete the rest of the Council. The Twi'Lek masseuse is cool and a figure I DO want, but we have a red Twi'Lek (Shaaka), a green one (Oola), and a white one (Lin Mei) so we weren't adding something new to the line by getting a Twi'Lek female versus a character like Ephant Mon. And now we are getting a blue female Twi'Lek - but a Jedi Knight for one - in Aayla Secura, who was already an in-demand EU character because she was there running around with her master Quinlan Vos already in the comics, when Hasbro did Fan Choice Poll 3.

The 4th Fan Choice was the worst one. The Sketchtrooper is not something that fits into the line of Star Wars stuff we have really - even the concept figures we own are Prequel Related (Maul, Obi-Wan x2, and Qui-Gon). As far as I could tell, everyone was collecting vintage figures being redone - i.e. The Imperial Dignitary's category, and that would be a no-brainer. General Rieeken was the only "out of the box" figure that skeptics could find a reason for him to lose (old man figure - though Rieeken was not that old and saw the most combat action of any of the Rebel Generals that were not main characters (with Madine's scenes cut and Rieeken's command during the Battle of Hoth). Nym was cool looking and cool in the comics, but even his comic was not mainstream EU like Quinlan Vos or Nom Anor, but rather a 3 issue commercial for the Starfighter video game that Lucasarts paid Dark Horse Comics to promote. The Endor Soldier in Scout Trooper disguise is pushing the bottom of the barrel for obscurity. True aliens from the backgrounds do that as well - but this guy's just a human in a uniform that's just another Imperial soldier's which we have in several variations. Rieeken was the only acceptable choice.

This time around, Antilles would be great, but he's an action character from a sequence that lends itself to selling well: the opening scene of the first SW movie! Someone to lead Fleet Troopers who are already seeing head variations, etc. Dadonna is the out of the box guy who doesn't fit some category like Pod-Racers-To-Do, or who could easily be substituted by a Main Character figure like Padme as a handmaiden. - in a 3 3/4" scale do we really need Rabe, too? Or can we just buy 5 Padme Handmaidens and stand them in a circle around our Queen figures? We HAVE to HAVE Padme in all of her outfits, Rabe's useful but not entirely necessary. Yarua is a very good choice. He's a Wookiee, a new sculpt that would not wear Chewbacca's signature bandolier, because most Wookiees do not have the same kind of bauldry that Chewie does, and he's a different fur color - and if none of you know this - he's short for a Wookiee. Yarua is sort of only about Vader's height if I'm right. Chewie's accurately a whole head taller. But there's another Wookiee being made supposedly for the Jedi 4-pack. A Wookiee Jedi may not wear the Jedi robes, and he or she certainly wouldn't need bowcaster rounds slung over their shoulder in an ammo strap since they'd use a lightsaber. Therefore, the Wookiee Jedi might be more appropriate for customizers than Yarua (a figure I still want to add to the Senate scene). But Dadonna is in the "don't make old men category" which is precisely why we need him to win.

The goal is to get as many of these as possible, not vote for the most obvious. It's like another Darth Vader figure winning one of these fan choice polls. Why vote for him if you know they'll make him anyway?

2-1B
01-16-2003, 02:33 AM
LOL,
you actually think there's 1 million people who care about Hasbro's crappy toy line ? :p

Beast
01-16-2003, 02:38 AM
Worldwide, quite possibly atleast that many. If not more. And crappy is a subjective term. One's man crap is another man's treasure. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-16-2003, 02:45 AM
Man, speaking of that, I just got done dropping a few treasures.

In fact, I have one huge pile of treasures in my basement at the moment I am contemplating getting rid of.

I don't care which figure wins, because no matter who it is, I have to listen to people ***** about the results for months on end......

Tycho
01-16-2003, 03:09 AM
Well, I might be wrong. JarJarBinks told me there was a group of people in Rebelscum's forums who "just heard" there was another Fans' Choice poll and are only now voting. That's possible. Meanwhile, other folks out there who don't communicate with the rest of us and just collect privately, might not know SSG, RS, or GH or any of the other sites exist, and they just go to Hasbro's site because it's listed on our action figures' packaging. If that's the case, they might have just heard about this because they're subscribed to Hasbro's site updates.

Still, it's hard to believe that with the numbers of votes that should have been in that first week, that the percentages still change that much today.

I'll stick with my conspiracy theory for a little longer.

Beast
01-16-2003, 03:13 AM
Well, they didn't say that they "just heard". But most of them were saying that they had finally made up their mind and voted today. Which I can see happening, the choices are really collector orientated. So for some people, the obvious vote doesn't just pop out at them. Plus like was stated above, E-mail's just went out from Hasbro and there are a lot of collector's not on sites like this. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Emperor Howdy
01-16-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Not that I'm sying that's the case i'm just presenting an alternative argument for the hell of it. Frankly i'm past caring at all about the screwy fan's choices. My choices are never the winner so i don't give a monkeys to be honest who wins or whether no-one wins and Hasbro cancels. They've just about drained all the fun out of toys this last couple of years so what's the point honestly. Why waste energy getting steamed up over something so trivial. There's more to life than boy meets toy - boy gets toy.

Screw the fan's choice polls. Just make the damn toys and stop the p***ing about.

Jargo seems so....so.....so angry lately. I can't put my finger on it....it's just that he seems....well....bitter. I'm going over to his house to check on him.

**whistling and walking**

"Ah, yes, here it is..."

**knock knock knock.......unlatched front door creaks open**

"Hello? Hello? Jargo, it's me!.................heeeeeello?"

**sounds of stumbling and grunting**

"......me WHO?!....."

"Errr....um......Emperor Howdy, from SirSte......"

"P**S OFF!"

"Ummm, right.....look, I didn't mean to bother you it's just that lately yo....."

"I SAID P**S OFF, YOU BLOODY YANK!"

**a flying shoe hits the front door**

"Look, that's really not necessary. We're...we're....well, we're worried about you man, and we....."

"RIGHT, right, right....well hang on, then"

"Huh?...oh.....ok.....that's better"

**waits**

**waits**

**waits**

"Are you still there?"

"Why yes, Jargo, I am!"

"Right, then......won't you come in?"

"Sure.....thank you!"........**creeeeeeeeak**.......hey man.....jeeez.....what's up? You look terr......"

**suddenly handfulls of poo fly through the air, splattering Emperor Howdy, the door, the wall and floor**

"Jesus God, man, what are you doing!?!?!"

"I SAID P**S OFF ALREADY!!"

**Emperor Howdy......shaken and covered in excrement....returns to the group**

"I don't know WHAT'S wrong with him. He's freakin' crazy! Maybe someone else should give it a try".

Kidhuman
01-16-2003, 09:32 AM
Captain Antilles

The results as of 9:30am (est). I myself find it hard to believe that a figure jumping up that high in the votes only effected 2 of the others percentages. I think that all of the figures would drop in the percentages in that case, not just one or two.

And Howdy, you are out there!!! That was pretty funy.

Old Fossil
01-16-2003, 10:32 AM
I got the email message from Hasbro, too.

Maybe these polls aren't such a good idea. Too many people get steamed when their choice doesn't win. They need to follow Jargo's advice and just make all the darned figures already.

"You have failed me for the last time, Hasbro..."

mrmiller
01-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Twodot Tatooine
Maybe these polls aren't such a good idea. Too many people get steamed when their choice doesn't win. They need to follow Jargo's advice and just make all the darned figures already.

If they have already spent the time and money researching these figures, they probably have already begun concepts and designs. I'm sure most all of them will be made anyhow, no matter what the votes say. It is truely a scam.

=MATT=

Rogue II
01-16-2003, 11:39 AM
I'm pretty sick of the polls myself. Even thought I have yet to vote for a winner, the results did not bother me until the Sketchtrooper "won". There is no way I will purchase the sketchtrooper. I agree that the whole poll has turned into a joke.

I voted for Dodonna this time, and he was leading until recently. I would buy the Capt Antilles figure if he wins, but not the wookie, the pod racer, or the handmaiden. All of the characters should be made into figures.

Does anyone else think that Hasbro is trying to pull something with this poll? Why 2 Rebel officers from ANH? They are basically the same figure, just a different head and jacket...

stillakid
01-16-2003, 11:47 AM
I'll do these in order of post...

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Somewhere some little shmuck is sitting and laughing, cause he's screwing up the Fan Polls. Making sure that the Fan Favorite Figures, is one that wouldn't normally win. A new way of doing these polls needs to be established. Maybe sending in between 100-200 Jedi Master Points to get 1 vote. That way, the collector fans get to actually choose the figures. Not some lil arsehead out there somewhere. :mad:

While I like the idea of somehow "proving" our worth as "collectors" to vote in something like this, I'll hold with my own conspiracy theory that says that Hasbro doesn't tally real votes at all. I believe that the results are pre-determined and they make what they want to make regardless. There's no incentive for them to go to the real trouble of tallying up votes from a bunch of geeky shmucks worldwide. We buy the stuff anyway.

Originally posted by Tycho
I spoke with my friend that's a webmaster of another Star Wars fan site. He said that Hasbro sent out e-mails today to everyone on their e-mail list.

I'm pretty sure I am on their list, but I received nothing as of 7:30 pm PST.

Anyone get a StarWars e-mail that included instructions to go and vote? Anyone on any Star Wars kids' mailing lists?

I could see kids turning away from Dodonna, but first I want to confirm that this e-mail was sent out by Hasbro or StarWars.com.

I also got the email, but when I clicked on the link, it told me that I had already voted. I assume that the site knew this because of a cookie on my computer or by some kind of record that their machines keep with my account.

I kinda have to agree here. Why screw with polls anyway? Just make the damn figures. Seriously, in the unlikely event that these polls are genuine and the numbers are somewhat close to accurate, it's clear that a fair sample of consumers would purchase any one of the choices. At least enough to justify production. Again, why don't they stop f'n around with rehashes and get about the business of creating the characters that haven't seen the light of day yet?

Originally posted by Caesar
LOL,
you actually think there's 1 million people who care about Hasbro's crappy toy line ? :p
Aside from adding the word "anymore" to the end of your statement, I believe you've hit nail on the head. :D

Well, they didn't say that they "just heard". But most of them were saying that they had finally made up their mind and voted today.
Christ almighty, this isn't a vote for the Senate or anything. It's a freakin' toy. How much deliberation does somebody really need? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by mrmiller
If they have already spent the time and money researching these figures, they probably have already begun concepts and designs. I'm sure most all of them will be made anyhow, no matter what the votes say. It is truely a scam.

=MATT=
Here here! :)

Fulit
01-16-2003, 12:29 PM

Somewhere some little shmuck is sitting and laughing, cause he's screwing up the Fan Polls.

Actually, I'm chuckling diabolically. ;)

TheDarthVader
01-16-2003, 12:30 PM
I voted for Dodonna. He is an important part of the rebel alliance. Seeing how ANH is my fav from the OT, I really really want him! If captain antilles is made instead, I will not complain. I really hate the fact..yes HATE...that the sketchtrooper won. There is no way I will buy it...and I am a completist!!! I hear that there MIGHT be a chance for an Imperial Dignitary later this year. (The REAL winner) haha :) :) So, maybe we got lucky even though the I.D. did not win the poll. I hope the case is the same here. I want a DODONNA. !!!!! (if he loses)

Nataku
01-16-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
I myself find it hard to believe that a figure jumping up that high in the votes only effected 2 of the others percentages. I think that all of the figures would drop in the percentages in that case, not just one or two.

I agree whole heartedly with the above statement.

(side note: I LOVE math!)

Let’s just look at the following data to illustrate a point, shall we?

On Day 17 (Jan 6th), we had the following results:
General Jan Dodonna : 31 %

And the current results on Day 27 (Jan 16th)

Now then, for starters, let's assume that 50,000 people had voted by Jan 6th.

So, that means in the last TEN days (from Jan 6th to Jan 16th),

If 1,000 people had voted since then, that’s a change from 50k votes to 51k (a 2% increase in voting total). The results for those new 1000 votes must have been:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 174%
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer): 12%
Rabé: -38%
General Jan Dodonna: -224%
Captain Antilles: 176%

IMPOSSIBLE! Dodonna AND Rabe would have to physically LOSE votes! And a LOT of them!

If 5,000 people voted since then, that’s a change from 50k votes to 55k (a 10% increase in voting total). The results for those new 5000 votes must have been:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 54%
Rabé: 2%
General Jan Dodonna: -24%
Captain Antilles: 56%

IMPOSSIBLE! Again Dodonna has to LOSE votes for this to work!

If 10,000 people voted since then, then that’s a change from 50k votes to 60k (a 20% increase in voting total), and the results for those new 10000 votes must been:
Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 39%
Rabé: 7%
General Jan Dodonna: 1%
Captain Antilles: 41%

So, there has to be at least a 20% change in the vote total in the las dat for the % change to even be mathematically possible. And then, only ONE percent of the new voters picked Dodonna. IMPOSSIBLE!

If 50,000 people voted since then, that’s a change from 50k votes to 100k (a 100% increase in voting total). Then, the results for those new 50000 votes must been:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 27%
Rabé: 11%
General Jan Dodonna: 21%
Captain Antilles: 29%

This is possible, but does anyone think that the number of votes in this poll would really DOUBLE from the number of votes cast in the first 17 in only the last ten days?

I would assume that the votes would decrease in the last few days of the poll, so I have to think that something VERY fishy is going on. Either ballot-stuffing OR a scam, but something is definitely afoot.

It’s all messed up!

Jeff

Jargo
01-16-2003, 01:54 PM
Hahahahahaha! Answer that hasbro - if you dare! Simple solution, make all the choices and have an end to it. Then go back and make all the choices from the other polls that didn't get made. They all got votes so people were willing to plonk down cash for them therefore all the figures should be made as a sincere apology for faking the whole process and causeing so many people to suffer a rise in blood pressure arguing the toss over this silly business. Oh and as a more sincere apology Randy should be sacked for a terrible marketing strategy in underestimating the consumer in every possible way. I know Randy probably had nothing to do with this poll but what the heck eh? any excuse for sacking him. :evil:

Kidhuman
01-16-2003, 02:24 PM
Hahahahahaha! Answer that hasbro - if you dare! Simple solution, make all the choices and have an end to it. Then go back and make all the choices from the other polls that didn't get made. They all got votes so people were willing to plonk down cash for them therefore all the figures should be made as a sincere apology for faking the whole process and causeing so many people to suffer a rise in blood pressure arguing the toss over this silly business. Oh and as a more sincere apology Randy should be sacked for a terrible marketing strategy in underestimating the consumer in every possible way. I know Randy probably had nothing to do with this poll but what the heck eh? any excuse for sacking him. :evil:

My sediments exactly

snakeplkn
01-16-2003, 03:50 PM
Does anyone have a day by day comparison of the percentages?

mtriv73
01-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Right now Antilles and Dodonna are tied. Hmm, how about a fan's choice 2 pack Hasbro! Or Better yet throw in Reikaan and make it a three pack!

AmanaMatt
01-16-2003, 04:29 PM
To be honest with this poll, and I must say three of my choices have won, so I am not one to complain - though the Sketchtrooper winning the last one is a joke. When I attended this last San Diego Comicon, I have to say that there were a good many of the Hasbro reps there - including the brand manager dude who was a real prick - that had a very disinterested, almost rude attitude towards many of the fans and their questions. Hell, I was in the booth 10 minutes at the most and was made to feel very unwelcome, and so much so that I never went back there the rest of the Con.

So, what am I saying? Hasbro and the fans have had a love -hate relationship that seems very hostile at times, so I am not sure that the people at Hasbro give a flying hoot about many of the people that pay for their salaries - the fans. You gotta take this poll with a grain of salt, and I personally would not be suprised if these polls are fixed internally. Remeber how the Duros protype showed up weeks after the first poll ended?

Who knows?

Jargo
01-16-2003, 05:08 PM
What is the brand manager's name BTW? I keep asking for Randy to be given the boot purely because someone had to get it and he was the first person who made himself a target. It really is the brand manager who needs to go so his name would be appreciated. I used to know them all but I compleely forget the names of pondlife most times. Whoever he is he needs sending to a remote outpost, somewhere like - Tibet.

Tycho
01-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Who knows. Maybe they use these things to see who NOT to make instead? All of the figures are doing well enough on this poll to justify production.

I don't recall how Nym or the Old Rebel in Bikerscout gear ("Hell's Imperial", he-heh-heh) did, but I could care less.

It was Fans' Choice 3 that had the best figures to hope that all get produced: R1-G4, Rieeken, pretty blue Twi'Lek etc.

I didn't check Nataku's math, because I'm tired, but I'm willing to bet it's correct and THANK YOU for posting it!

Hasbro might think we're idiots and only good for the last bits of change in our wallets, as when they are at Comic Con they need to understand that they are almost like gods to us because we want to pray face-to-face with the powers-that-be for hour upon hour over every little thing in the background of the least popular movie. That's the nature of this hobby, and the nature of conventions are that they are approximately 3-4 days long, so for 96 hours, and literally quite a lot less, even if you add in the next days they visit sites for other conventions, they should expect to put up with us - and do it because they enjoy it.

I was at the Star Wars Celebration II talking to "Brian" (I think) the guy who was then just sculpting Aayla Secura and he told me all kinds of things I wanted to know:

He sculpts his own EU figures at home - he's made a Quinlan Vos to go with Aayla that's as "official" as it can get having missed only a copyright stamp on the figure and a license to mass produce and sell it.

He also likes pushing all the articulation he can into a figure, so that you can pose them kneeling and shooting, for example - such as Padme Pilot, where he showed me how her ankles would twist and her leg would lock so she could hold her pose (without a stand he hoped), and kneel and shoot.

He's told from above him in the company, marketing or whoever, to make room to add an action feature or something. He tries his best to do what the parameters of his job say he must, and to make the best quality figure he can.

These are things I wanted to know.

So he made me feel right at home and hang out as long as I wanted. He was a fan.

If the brand managers and marketing folks don't act that way, it's time for them to move on. - I mean is it pride? They can't admit that their brilliant idea for the next figure to have a button on their back that makes them break-dance and moonwalk , just well...sucks? We do complain way too much as a group, so I could see how they could get sick of us. But wouldn't they gain some popularity if they admited they were wrong and even the kids don't think these action figures are that great, and they just go back to making POTJ style figures? Wouldn't we all then call them our hero?

Now I get along with Andy and he does care about the line. He's also a fan like we are. I don't know what decisions he's made, what ones Paul has made, etc. I'll try and find out. But I'd rather be constructive with the criticism because a guy that listens to us and changes things to make them right is better than a new guy who makes all new mistakes.

Oh, and lastly, to you guys in the forums: why would you boycott other Fans' Choice figures if your pick doesn't win? I want Dodonna but they are all good in this poll. They are in most of the polls. I could only understand the Sketchtrooper, as it's hard to believe that many people wanted this and it's not even continuity source material for an EU figure. Maybe some Classic-Only collectors see Dodonna and Antilles as the only viable winners for them - that I'd understand. But otherwise, all the figures in the current poll are useful by 10 times more than the Sketchtrooper.

Darth Trymybestus
01-16-2003, 05:40 PM
I really think that all the figures in this poll are useful really, I understand why people wouldn't want the Concept Stormtrooper though as it's not useful for any dioramas.
I think the Handmaiden would look great in Diorama's with Sio Bibble, Captain Panaka, Amidala and Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi.
The Wookie Senator would look great with Palpatine, Bail Organa, Orn Free Taa in other dioramas.
And Ben Quadrinaros would look great with Gasgano, Ody Mandrell and Teemto.
I know that a lot of the older collectors would want Antillees or Dodonna but a lot of the kiddies would probably want the Wookie or the Podracer as kids like weird aliens, just my 2 cents :)

Death Star Gimp
01-16-2003, 06:30 PM
The Hasbro site still won't let me in to the voting chamber, I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. Even when I ask for my username and password they still won't recognise it. This happened to me in fan poll #4 too.

I really would like to see Antilles or Dodonna win this but it would appear someone is weaving their magic, either an individual taking the p*** or possibly Hasbro taking the p***.

We shouldn't get too upset because come 2004 I think a number of second and third choice figures in the polls will get made. But it is so disappointing when you feel your vote is a waste of time and perhaps the outcome had been decided before the poll went on line.

If Yarua wins then I think the polls are fraudulent no matter who's fixing it whether externally or internally at Hasbro. It may be worth while to continue to pressure Hasbro to get Antilles and Dodonna made anyway.

Death Star Gimp
01-16-2003, 07:10 PM
Hooray! I managed to get in by re-registering. I voted for Dodonna. If Yarua wins then this poll sucks big.

Banthaholic
01-16-2003, 08:10 PM
I am also a man of math, and these stats just don't sem to add up at all, the shear numbers the other candiadates would have to be pulling in is either, some one cheating or Hasbro is making them up.
I'm normally pretty positive on things Hasbro does, but this his horrid!
Logically this makes no sense. Instead of percent why doesn't Hasbro print # of votes, or just hold off till the end to post any results.

snakeplkn
01-16-2003, 11:17 PM
I think these numerical assumptions are too high. One million? 50,000? At most I think 5,000 people have voted, maybe even no more than 1,000. If only 1,000 people voted, then the percentage changes would be plausible.

However unless Hasbro released the exact vote totals, we will never know.

Snake Plissken
"A little human compassion"

stillakid
01-16-2003, 11:39 PM
How many people ended up going to Celebration II? Was there a final tally? Something like 25,000 on opening day?

Not that it means much, but it might be safe to assume (maybe) that at least 90% of those attendees collect the toys or at the very least are aware of the polls. Add in the number of people who didn't go and maybe somebody could come up with a reasonable number of "collectors" who might be likely to click a vote. I can't believe we're talking about millions here, or even in the high hundreds of thousands. Maybe a hundred thousand worldwide on the outside.

But it's all speculation unless somebody else has any other more accurate information.

And, I think it's all internally rigged anyway, so in the end, it's all moot. :)

Tycho
01-16-2003, 11:40 PM
That's the thing: this (SirStevesGuide) is a fan site and we get 1,000 to sometimes as much as 8,000 responses to a poll I post in forums (see current playset poll for around 1000 votes, and stuff on the trailers and Episode 2 release for over 5,000 votes).

We are not an official site and we don't determine what product will be made (though admittedly, Steve can be a great influence on them- as can our polls).

But with RS and GH, as well as SSG readers, plus TFN's, R2news, Alderra, Yak's, etc. all combined, they should have well over 5,000 votes.

Because even if an uninformed collector who has NEVER visited one of the sites I just mentioned didn't know there was a poll going on, Star Wars' website or the official Lucasfilm one - StarWars.com (a no-brainer URL for a SW site, right?) are all listed on EVERY SINGLE ACTION FIGURE PACKAGE THAT YOU OWN, since at least Episode One's figures!

If you buy the toys you should at least be able to discover the website and subscribe to Hasbro's news and find the e-mail to go vote on the poll.

In which case, they should have well over 5,000 or even 10,000 votes if SirStevesGuide can get that many votes in a single poll (when I write a good one).

Everyone checking their math above is right: the numbers just don't seem to make sense. (though I still haven't checked Nataku's math, but I'm sure it's more accurate than Hasbro's!)

QLD
01-17-2003, 02:44 AM
Man, what is it with Democrats always complaining about elections.....geez....

j/k :crazed:

Tycho
01-17-2003, 03:16 AM
QLD: you might be on to something:

Ralph McQuarrie.... Ralph Nader - both throwing us off...

Instead of General Dodonna, we'll end up with a Concept Pat Buchanon figure. Oh, what is the world coming to?!!

QLD
01-17-2003, 11:13 AM
Instead of General Dodonna, we'll end up with a Concept Pat Buchanon figure. Oh, what is the world coming to?!!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 11:52 AM
Somebody please get me the web address, so that I may vote. It is only January 17th, still have three days, please help me, help you

Rogue II
01-17-2003, 11:54 AM
QLD: you might be on to something:

Ralph McQuarrie.... Ralph Nader - both throwing us off...

We would never get a Pat Buchanon figure. Gore would claim that every vote for Buchanon was actually his.

But we all know it isn't the politicians that are messing with us...it's the aliens from Zardon 5.:crazed:

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 11:58 AM
How about a web address?!!!

Nataku
01-17-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by JediDBM

http://starwars.hasbro.com/

Once you get there, select "Voting Chamber" from the "Bounty Hunter: Collector Central" Menu.

But you have to be a registered member to vote...

Jeff

Tycho
01-17-2003, 04:03 PM

Do you own any Star Wars action figures? :rolleyes:

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 04:11 PM
Yes I do, why would you ask that? Just because I dont shop on line or have had access to the net other than ebay? I have over 700 figures, ranging from vintage to 2002. I 2002 because nothing new has come out. Sorry, just took that as a painful blow, I want to help and am still new to this...Thank you Nataku

QLD
01-17-2003, 04:26 PM
Nevermind Tycho, he's racist against new people.

:crazed:

stillakid
01-17-2003, 06:25 PM
Yes I do, why would you ask that? Just because I dont shop on line or have had access to the net other than ebay? I have over 700 figures, ranging from vintage to 2002. I 2002 because nothing new has come out. Sorry, just took that as a painful blow, I want to help and am still new to this...Thank you Nataku

This is pure conjecture, but I believe that Tycho's point was that the web address in question is printed on every single package containing a Star Wars toy.

Not to mention that it can be found quite simply through the official fan site at www.starwars.com (which is almost too obvious in it's simplicity). It takes ten times more work to find SirSteve's Guide for the first time than it does to find the Hasbro Star Wars site.

How someone made it from Ebay directly to SSG is an interesting question. Was someone selling something on Ebay and provided a link to this site? :confused: Personally, I can't remember how I found this site, but getting to Hasbro was easy enough.

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 06:35 PM
I first found the Star Wars fan club web site, then read somebody talking about SSG. Been here ever since :)

Tycho
01-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Sorry if I sounded sarcastic, JediDBM, but I'm glad you (and everyone else) is here to share in our hobby. However, Stillakid is right, the web address is printed on every piece of Star Wars packaging.

That was my whole point in this thread (as a followup) before:

That perhaps the fan sites have advertised this poll since Dec. 23rd, but maybe people that only know the official site or Hasbro's just received word that there was a poll going on because they subscribe to their newsletter.

- maybe.

But the people doing some good math here have basically proven that something's going wrong with the poll - like tampering.

There is no precedent to say that in the event of a tie, Hasbro will make both Dodonna and Antilles. Nothing. Without the exact numbers of votes each has received, the percentages may be tied, but only Hasbro will know who got more votes, and they can decide it any way they want to.

Hopefully, we will still get all 5 figures made in the next 2 years or so.

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 11:37 PM
Tycho, I have no doubt there has been tampering, I have learned nothing works honestly like it should. Just another big disapointment for me with this and... Wish I could elaborate, but I wont...

Beast
01-17-2003, 11:45 PM
We haven't had any changes since yesterday, so the numbers changing a lot could have been due to the E-Mail's going out. Especially if the E-mail's were coming from StarWarsKids.com. Kid's would most likely go with an alien figure, like Senator Yarua over a couple of old men. Dodonna and Antillies still hold 26% of the vote each, and Yarua has 24%.

So unless another large influx goes in before the end, Dodonna will likely win. The big problem is the OT folks are splitting the vote. Just like what happened with the Riekeen/Dignitary vote.

But why Dodonna, because he was ahead from the beginning. And probably has higher total votes then Antillies. Would be nice if they just declared a tie and did both of them though. Make them a 2-pack, even though they arn't on screen together. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
01-17-2003, 11:52 PM
I want them to make both!! If it ends up 26% for both, that is a TIE!! And both MUST be made :)

Beast
01-18-2003, 12:14 AM
It's not a tie, because we can't see the actual numbers. Dodonna could have 4,986 votes and Antillies could only have 4,957. Sure it would be nice if they just said they both won, but I'm doubting that they would do that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-18-2003, 10:01 AM
They might, just to shut people up. last thing they want is bad press. They're having a hard enough time getting retailers to stock the goods so they need collectors more than ever now. I think it would be an equitable solution to make the top two. If that meant Antilles got made I would be happy. But I still say as I've been saying frequently that all the choices should be made.
This is like taking a kid to a toyshop and making them wait outside to stare through the window saying they can't have any of the toys inside.
If Hasbro wants to keep me as a collecting consumer then they need to do some radical rethinking of their sales and marketing policies. I'm a big spender on star wars toys but if things carry on like they are I won't be for much longer. Changes at the top are needed. The decision makers are idiots. They have the perception of a deaf bat.

Tycho
01-18-2003, 12:35 PM
They might, just to shut people up. last thing they want is bad press.

That's very true. With Bush's re-election coming up, people are going to watch how policy plays out in the current race between Dodonna and Antilles very carefully.

On one hand, both parties won't want to alienate seniors, so the Democrats will rush out to tote Dodonna as an AARP right's cause like the ACLU's supporting Afirmative Action at the University of Michigan. But Republican Trent Lott's strong defense of Strom Thurmond will have to weigh in as a factor to suggest they too will support Dodonna since they don't want to alienate seniors as well. The White House has yet to decide whether they will release a brief on this issue, taking one side or another. With impending war, support for our troops on the front line is also paramount and soldiers see it as a strong sign of respect to vote for a man like Captain Antilles that's been in the trenches with them. He gave his life for Princess and nation.

So on one hand, Hasbro must be very careful here, as they don't want to lose Star Wars collectors over the age of eighty-five, though they are undoubtedly projecting their numbers of active-duty military collectors as well - potentially long term, or possibly very short-term collectors if we invade Iraq and Saddam chooses to deploy chemical weapons.

Hmmm. This will be a difficult choice indeed and in this world of turmoil during present times, Hasbro will definitely want to make sure their decision plays well on the front pages of every newspaper and Time Magazine.

Turbowars
01-18-2003, 01:13 PM
How many of you have voted more than once?

kool-aid killer
01-18-2003, 01:40 PM
I havent voted yet but plan to do so on the 20th. I want both Antilles and Dodonna but since i can only vote once i think ill vote for whichever one of those two has a higher percentage. I know my one vote isnt worth much but hopefully it can keep the wookie from winning.

stillakid
01-18-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by kool-aid killer
but hopefully it can keep the wookie from winning.

It doesn't pay to upset a Wookie.

stillakid
01-18-2003, 02:12 PM
Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie...

Hey, this is fun! Say it out loud....

Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie, Wookie...

:D

QLD
01-18-2003, 02:17 PM
I voted about 35 times for Jan Dodonna.

mtriv73
01-18-2003, 02:23 PM
Well, my wife and I have both voted for Dodonna now, but I'd still like to see that three pack with antilles and Reikaan.

Beast
01-18-2003, 03:39 PM
Someone on another forum, remebers about how many votes were cast for the first 3 polls. They used to actually show the results, until the middle of Fan Choice 3 when they saw the cheating for the Masseuse, pulled the poll and just stuck percentages up instead. He said that there were around 30,000 for the first poll, and 15,000-20,000 for the second and third. So Tycho's 1 million is way off. Here's an example from the Ephant Mon poll, before they pulled the number of actual votes. :)

July 26 2:00 PM EST – 5714 total votes

Ephant Mon 31%..........1772 votes
Twil'lek 23%............1314
Gen. Rieekan 17%.........972
Even Piell 15%...........857
R1-G4 15%................857

July 26 7:30 PM EST – 6895 total votes

Twil'lek 35%............2413
Ephant Mon 26%..........1793
Gen Rieekan 15%.........1034
Even Piell 12%...........827
R1-G4 12%................827

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

teebo_js
01-18-2003, 05:10 PM
I don't know what to say... I want the five figures. But actually 102% is amazing!

wookie 25%, Rabé 12%, ben quadinnaros13% ans dodona and antilles 26% eaach!

I can't beleive that rabé will finish last!!!!! That is a shame...

If i well understood (i am not good in english), i can a vote for each of my e-mail adress? If it is that, i have 5 e-mail adresses. I'll go vote again! Should I do that???

Why don't make figure that we want for 20 years instead of the 3 years???

Anyway, i don't think i made up my point... my english is so bad.

I prefere dodona or antilles but, this time, i'll buy whoever who wins... but i'll never buy the sketchtrooper

Beast
01-18-2003, 05:12 PM
Atleast with Yarua, it's entirely possible that all the new votes could have come from Hasbro sending the E-Mail out. With the Twi'lek Masseuse, there was blatant cheating going on. And Hasbro did somthing about it, they pulled down the poll and threw out a ton of votes. Remeber that early on, the Twi'lek was in last place. And then started gaining fast as hell on first place.

Atleast with Yarua, he was already in 3rd place at a pretty decent number before he started getting a lot of votes. And from reading some, quite a few people are still just now voting. Hell, Curto just voted and he voted for Yarua. Here's the Fan Choice 3 poll, on July 23rd. Now that's some obvious cheating. :)

July 23 – 3034 total votes

Ephant Mon 37%
Gen. Rieekan 18%
Even Piell 18%
R1-G4 19%
Twil'lek 9%

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-18-2003, 07:29 PM
That's very true. With Bush's re-election coming up, people are going to watch how policy plays out in the current race between Dodonna and Antilles very carefully.

On one hand, both parties won't want to alienate seniors, so the Democrats will rush out to tote Dodonna as an AARP right's cause like the ACLU's supporting Afirmative Action at the University of Michigan. But Republican Trent Lott's strong defense of Strom Thurmond will have to weigh in as a factor to suggest they too will support Dodonna since they don't want to alienate seniors as well. The White House has yet to decide whether they will release a brief on this issue, taking one side or another. With impending war, support for our troops on the front line is also paramount and soldiers see it as a strong sign of respect to vote for a man like Captain Antilles that's been in the trenches with them. He gave his life for Princess and nation.

So on one hand, Hasbro must be very careful here, as they don't want to lose Star Wars collectors over the age of eighty-five, though they are undoubtedly projecting their numbers of active-duty military collectors as well - potentially long term, or possibly very short-term collectors if we invade Iraq and Saddam chooses to deploy chemical weapons.

Hmmm. This will be a difficult choice indeed and in this world of turmoil during present times, Hasbro will definitely want to make sure their decision plays well on the front pages of every newspaper and Time Magazine.

Ah, sarcasm. an interesting concept. Not worthy of a protracted response. file under 'trash'...... :zzz:

Jaff
01-19-2003, 03:04 AM
I voted for Dadonna and this will be the last vote I'm really going to follow. Hasbro does not pick voting items that are worthy of voting for, save Ephant. The truth is their current list is not all that exciting except for Dadonna. The voting list is made to drag the line out, and what is not voted for will come out anyways like Sabe, Teemto, etc. If they wanted to get interesting they would list Hermi, Jabba, or even ask our opinions of their statue sculpts. Until they offer worthy choices it's a boring subject.

mylow thehutt
01-19-2003, 07:15 PM
I think your right tycho,if the wookiee wins then that proves it,

Rikken,and the digentary bolth sufferd the same phate,some other guy leads for the whole time till the end where the cool alien dude wins the pot.think about it,it may surprise you.:sur:

JediTricks
01-19-2003, 10:00 PM
Doesn't Hasbro claim they hand-count all the votes afterwards and toss out any non-registered votes? I didn't vote in the last Fan Choice one and I haven't voted on this one either, these things are either rigged or not but either way I don't get a thrill out of Hasbro forcing the fans to fight amongst themselves in some sort of demented toy version of Sophie's Choice.

I believe there are at most only around 100,000 dedicated SW figure collectors worldwide. Suppose 90% of them are online, that's 90,000 fans. Now suppose 50% of these dedicated online fans are registered at SW.Hasbro, that's 45,000 people that can vote. Now suppose that only 3/4ths of them actually will vote, that's only around 30,000 votes - so of that, this 1 percent controlling factor would be a scant 300 votes. Doesn't seem so high of a number of votes to me, and that's what I consider to be a generous allotment of potential voters.

Beast
01-19-2003, 10:09 PM
No, they said they did that for the Twi'lek/Ephant poll due to the Massuese going from dead last to first place in under three days. I doubt that Hasbro actually rigs them. People from Scum that were at Cel2 when the Fan Choice 4 poll was premeiered, where told by 3 of the higher up Hasbro folks, that they though the Dignitary was going to win. :)

And your right about the 30,000 number JT. The first poll when they showed actual numbers had around 30,000 votes. The second and third, only had 15,000-20,000 votes. The 3rd one isn't totally for sure, because they pulled exact vote totals halfway thru that poll, when the cheating occured. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
01-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Well, there is only 1 day left to vote/cheat. As of right now, Sunday, January 19th, 10.29 pm et, here are the standings:

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 25 %
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 13 %
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 25 %

That's close. Antilles is only beating Dodonna and Yarua by 1%.

Who do you think will win?

To find out... tune in tomorrow... same time... same thread :p

On another note, why doesn't Hasbro give us an open fan's choice free for all, where all we have to do is to vote for our favorite character from one big list, instead of only 5 to choose from?

Teeska Mon Eebon
01-19-2003, 10:50 PM
We know for shure that the poll is crud if neither Antillies or Dodonna win I'm happy with either

Beast
01-19-2003, 11:01 PM
We don't know the poll is crud if Yarua wins, think back to Tycho's poll for Senators that included Yarua. Yarua did really well, so it's not impossible that he did well in an actual Hasbro poll. I mean, it's not obvious cheating like the Twi'Lek poll. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Teeska Mon Eebon
01-19-2003, 11:09 PM
oh yes I guess true true it will still irk the heck outta me if they BOTH loose!

Nataku
01-20-2003, 09:14 AM
"The polls are closed, and the results are in. Once again, the voting came down to the wire. It was a "gripping" race - with no one figure having a "stranglehold" on the election. While no figures "choked", the winner of Fans' Choice Poll #5 is... Captain Antilles who has won by a "whisper".

Not surprisingly, there have been some rumblings about "ballot stuffing". While we did have some issues with earlier polls, the bugs in our system were fixed, and we have been watching the polls very closely to ensure that no improprieties occur. So, why the sudden shift in voting percentages last Wednesday? Well, as many of you know, we sent out a short reminder notice that the polls were closing soon. That spurred many people to log on and vote. Certainly, many members of our website also frequent the fan sites, who have been great about publicizing our poll. And, starwars.com mentioned the poll in their e-mail last week. The result was that the number of overall votes more than doubled.

Thousands of people voted in this poll and Captain Antilles edged out General Jan Dodonna by only 9 total votes! Since we had such a close finish, we have decided to go ahead and make both Captain Antilles AND General Dodonna. Both figures will have a late Spring 2004 target date. "

Go to starwars.hasbro.com for more info!

So, they admitted that (as predicted by my math), they DID double the number of votes in the last few days. I find it hard to beleive, but the math is correct, so at least they tried to explain the situation!

At least we get BOTH ANH Rebels!!!!!!!

Jeff

Rogue II
01-20-2003, 09:19 AM
Well, it appears that Hasbro has sensed our frustration.

I'm happy with the results.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again.

Hasbro has every intention of making most, if not all of the figures they listed on their "poll"!

It's all a bunch of hype to see who will get the next "Fan's Choice" sticker and nothing more.

Well, I'll have no part of it.:p

Rogue II
01-20-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Bah, I said it before and I'll say it again.

Hasbro has every intention of making most, if not all of the figures they listed on their "poll"!

It's all a bunch of hype to see who will get the next "Fan's Choice" sticker and nothing more.

I kind of believe that. I used to think that they were using it as a market survey.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 10:26 AM
Let's see, so far we have seen the following characters in the "Polls":

Amanaman
Admiral Ozzel
Ben Quadinaros
Bom Vimdim
Captain Antilles
Duros
Eeth Koth
Ephant Mon
Evel Piell
General Jan Dodonna
General Carlist Rieekan
Imperial Dignitary
Imperial SketchTrooper
Major Bren Derlin
Nym
Rabe'
Rebel Soldier in Scout Trooper Disguise
R1-G4
Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator
Teemto Pagalies
Twi'lek Masseuse
Yarael Poof

And we have seen the following figures get made (or in the works):

Amanaman
Captain Antilles
Duros
Eeth Koth
Ephant Mon
General Jan Dodonna
Imperial SketchTrooper
Teemto Pagalies

So, out of 5 polls, 25 possible choices, we have 22 characters to choose from. From those 22 we have seen 8 figures, either made or on their way, with the rumor of an Imperial Dignitary on it's way, that would make 9 from the "Polls"

I also predict that we will see 5 more figures from this list made before the next movie.

But that's just my opinion.:Pirate:

OCB
01-20-2003, 10:32 AM
9 votes separated CA And GD at .05% that should be 18,000 votes total. 9*100/18000= 0.05%

Last Wednesday lets say there were 9000 votes cast at the time (might be kind of high but lets just assume it is so), GD had a 6% lead on Tuesday.

1st 9000 Total

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 21 % 1890
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12 % 1080
Rabé : 13 % 1170
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 30 % 2700
Captain Antilles : 24 % 2160

Total 18000

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 24.67 % 4441
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 12.68 % 2282
Rabé : 11.60 % 2088
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 25.50 % 4590
Captain Antilles : 25.55 % 4599

So for the Last Week of the Poll

Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator) : 28.3% 2551 Votes
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer) : 13.3% 1202 Votes
Rabé : 10.2% 918 Votes
Gen. Jan Dodonna : 21.0% 1890
Captain Antilles : 27.1 % 2439

The thing that is fishy to me at least is that Ben and Rabé had relatively the same amount over the second half versus the first, I can accept the Yarua gain being most non-collectors identify with a Wookiee over the two old ANH leaders...since the poll was sent out to the masses. The baffling thing to me is the flip flopping of the CA and GD numbers over the second half of the poll...

I think the big question if we make the leap of faith and say that Hasbro didn't count votes from the same IP address (a big leap I think), the question then has to be...

Did non-collectors taint the poll results? By publicizing the poll to people who may not give a rats patoot did they choose the Captain over the General?

Can't complain too much since we are getting both of the guys I wanted, I wanted Dodonna more because he had a bigger role in the movie, he could come with the DS display table and he is a tough custom...

Interesting I think and a good question for future polls...

Tycho
01-20-2003, 10:42 AM
I agree with a lot of what Sith_Killer and my fellow pilot Rogue2 said, and also Nataku, and OCB,

but I am ecstatic about the Results! We get both Captain Antilles and General Dodonna!

Tycho
01-20-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99
Let's see, so far we have seen the following characters in the "Polls":

Amanaman
Admiral Ozzel
Ben Quadinaros
Bom Vimdim
Captain Antilles
Duros
Eeth Koth
Ephant Mon
Evel Piell
General Jan Dodonna
General Carlist Rieekan
Imperial Dignitary
Imperial SketchTrooper
Major Bren Derlin
Nym
Rabe'
Rebel Soldier in Scout Trooper Disguise
R1-G4
Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator
Teemto Pagalies
Twi'lek Masseuse
Yarael Poof

And we have seen the following figures get made (or in the works):

Amanaman
Captain Antilles
Duros
Eeth Koth
Ephant Mon
General Jan Dodonna
Imperial SketchTrooper
Teemto Pagalies

So, out of 5 polls, 25 possible choices, we have 22 characters to choose from. From those 22 we have seen 8 figures, either made or on their way, with the rumor of an Imperial Dignitary on it's way, that would make 9 from the "Polls"

I also predict that we will see 5 more figures from this list made before the next movie.

But that's just my opinion.:Pirate:

Well you've heard some of the rumors:

A Screen Scene Jedi Council 3-pack was rumored. That'll take care of Yarael Poof, Even Piel, and likely Oppo Rancisis or Yaddle. ( I could see Yaddle, because Oppo with his cool tail would sell phenomenally as a carded figure anyway!)

Imperial Dignitary is on a lot of nearly confirmed lists already. (and he didn't really edge out General Rieeken when the Sketchtrooper won, so there's always hope for Carlist).

Ben Quadrinaros remains on the lists for so many polls, he must have a sculpt half-completed somewhere...

Bom Vimdim is unfortunately not the most popular Cantina Alien by far (our polls showed Hem Dazon the Arcona is, followed by Dannik Jerriko, and then the Gotal, Feltipern Trevagg).

R1-G4 is too awesome NOT to make! I really want that droid and hope he gets another chance at seeing production - maybe with a pit droid or Jawa pack-in?

But with the Jedi Council 3-pack, I think Sith_Killer's definitely right: there will be about 5 off the list for this year (or more I hope!)

I'm really glad that I already have 2 great figures to look forward to in 2004 with Antilles and Dodonna! Star Wars collecting could get better than ever!

Fulit
01-20-2003, 12:59 PM

R1-G4 is too awesome NOT to make! I really want that droid and hope he gets another chance at seeing production - maybe with a pit droid or Jawa pack-in?

Who is this R1G4 and what does he look like?

Rogue II
01-20-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Fulit
Who is this R1G4 and what does he look like?

He is the large astromech droid that was seen when Luke and Owen purchased R2 and C-3PO from the Jawas.

http://web.qx.net/red6/aliens/astromech

Jargo
01-20-2003, 01:30 PM
I feel that hasbro wanted the General to win and had already begun work on him. Now Antilles has won they didn't want to waste the work so they'll make Antilles to keep the voters happy and make Dodona because he was already in the bag.

No matter what they say there will always be suspicion about their practices. They obviously payed close attention to the stuff written on message boards though. So that proves they read this stuff :happy:

If they shove gimmicks into these two figures I'll frickin' kill myself. NO GIMMICKS! okay Hasbro?

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Ahhahaha....

You foolish collector.:evil:

Did you say no gimmicks? What's a gimmick? We only use "Action Features" in our figures.

Captain Antilles with "Universal Choking" action.

and

General Dodonna with "Beard Growing" action.

:evil:

Tycho
01-20-2003, 01:40 PM
By pressing a button on Captain Antilles' back (similar to pilot Jango's) you make his hands automatically jerk up to grab his throat. An alternate way of doing this would be to have him feature a quick-draw effect.

However, Fans' Choice figures are Collection 2 figures, so no such worries are warranted, mates.

On the other hand, a Deluxe Dodonna figure with the Yavin Tactical Display, could be very cool if you could move the simulated Death Star closer and closer to the 4th moon of Yavin - and it had electronics that estimated the time until the battle-moon was in firing range.

These toys have potential.

Beast
01-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Jargo, if they already had them being worked on, I doubt it would take until Spring 2004 for them to be released. Remember the 10 months to a year design and production time. While they probably do cost them out, to make sure they are feasible to be produced from a cost standpoint. I doubt they actually start working on them before the polls are over. If they did, they could get them out a hell of a lot earlier then they do. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-20-2003, 02:51 PM
By the way, since Dodonna lost by only 9 votes it was easy to figure out the ammount of votes and breakdown the numbers. It seems that around 18,000 votes were cast in this poll.

Captain Colton Antilles: 25.55% 4599
General Jan Dodonna: 25.50% 4590
Senator Yarua (Kashyyyk Senator): 24.67% 4441
Ben Quadinaros (Pod Racer): 12.68% 2282
Rabé: 11.60% 2088

So the Wookster lost by 158 votes. Wish it would have been closer and they would have made all three. But making the two that were insanely close, is a good thing. Thanks again Hasbro. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
01-20-2003, 02:53 PM
They finally did something right:D

Jargo
01-20-2003, 03:11 PM
I'm talking about the designs not the sculpts JJB. Going on want lists posted across the net Dodona comes out higher than even Antilles so hasbro would have expected a win for him. The fact that Antiles only beat him by a tiny margin shows that. So hasbro do the prelim' design work on paper (I forget what they call the actual design sheet). The winner is a surprise to hasbro and they weren't prepared for it having not don e the prelim for Antilles. So they have to go with Antilles because he's won but hasbro were wanting to make Dodona. The fan choice poll was their excuse to make a left of field character where they would have been unlikely to include it in the regular assortments. They could have sold Antilles as a regular basic figure no problem because he's army builder fodder. Dodona is a an old man figure. Not good sellers. Palpatine clogs pegs as we speak. So, To make the figure they were preparing for they decide to make the top two. It makes no difference when the sculpt is completed because they schedule the releases of figures. They have figure sculpts a plenty on the backburner. Look at the amount of protoypes that show up and you can see that. Having a sculpt doesn't mean production guaranteed. They might have had the Dodona sculpt completed for years. All I know is that for some reason They've decided to make a Dodona figure. I don't think for one second it's because there were only nine votes between the top two. It's very convenient but they were going to make Dodona whatever.

I also foresee these things being out this year rather than next year. They could have them by November no problem. I see no reason to save these for next year. I know the sketchtrooper is the fan's choice for this year but that's crap. Thrrrrrrrrrrrrp! to the sketchtrooper. Get these two rebels out instead.

Beast
01-20-2003, 03:21 PM
Jargo, that preliminary design work your talking about is costing the figure out. Which is the same thing I'm talking about. They would have to do that for every figure that they would want to put in the poll. Because the charecter has to be checked to see if it possible to make because of likeness rights. And if it's feasible to do them from a cost standpoint. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-20-2003, 05:46 PM
Okay here we go, Jarjar picks apart everything Jargo says to feel superior about himself.

Yeah yeah whatever oh wise one. I really can't be bothered with this discussion any more. and to answer your obvious last word response to this I'll pretype mine:

WHATEVER!!!!!

Dark Knight
01-20-2003, 06:36 PM
All I have to say is THANK YOU! I really wanted the general. I take a captain also.:D

stillakid
01-20-2003, 06:38 PM
Okay here we go, Jarjar picks apart everything Jargo says to feel superior about himself.

Yeah yeah whatever oh wise one. I really can't be bothered with this discussion any more. and to answer your obvious last word response to this I'll pretype mine:

WHATEVER!!!!!

:p

evenflow
01-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Well. I wish that Yarua could have won, but it is cool that they are giving us 2 figures. They may be boring, but at least they are in the movies, unlike the damn concept Stormtrooper.

Fulit
01-20-2003, 08:52 PM
So, you think these two will be as much of a pain in the *ss to find as Ephant Mon? Hunting for one hard to find figure is one thing, but two......

Couldn't they just put them on one big card?

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 10:28 PM
I don't think these guy's will be as hard to find as Ephant Mon. Look at the other FC figures.

Besides, I am still convinced Ephant Mon will show up in much greater numbers down the road.

Kidhuman
01-20-2003, 11:24 PM
The only one I had an easy time finding was the first one. I found Amanaman by luck at Wal-Mart at 2am in a case, with Leia. Ephant Mon I got from a friend in New Mexico on a trade. These two should be hopefully easy to find. If hasbro is reading any of the posts about Ephant Mon's difficulty to find, they should make it easier for us by better distribution.

mrmiller
01-21-2003, 10:42 AM
After seeing the results of the final *ahem* voting, I must quote myself-

Originally posted by mrmiller

=MATT=

The fix is in!

I really don't care- I'm glad they're making them, and hope to see the other 3 as well. About the time the Imperial Dignatary and other past losers come out. :happy:

=MATT=

Jaff
01-21-2003, 10:55 AM
I'm glad their making these figures too, but in the end the voting is a trivial thing. I mean how did fans vote for a artsy fartsy stormtrooper over other figures. It makes no sense to me. It's all in the marketing research and toying with the "oh yeah, collectors, we hear you!" routine. They probably started the sculpts for Dadonna and Antillies before the contest was over! Nuff said.