PDA

View Full Version : Beware! Not Making It To The Walmart Shelves! (MERGED)

M1-H2
01-17-2003, 02:14 AM
During the holidays I started to become so frustrated and discouraged because of the problems with the distribution within the L.A. area - especially with Walmart (Cerritos, Paramount, Long Beach stores). I thought I'd score during their 24/7 holiday hours by shopping during "stocking time," but I came up empty handed. I originally thought that other collectors were just getting there before I did, but when I was hitting the stores at odd hours like 12:30am, 4:00am, and 5:00am, I knew that there was more to the story. To put it all in a nutshell, I have spoken to several employees, MANAGERS, and security guards and found out that the reason I can never find my figures (when they have reportedly hit other stores) is because the employees aren't putting them on the shelves! They are taking them and selling them for a higher price on certain "flea market" type websites, and collector's "swap meets." The MANAGERS at some of the Walmarts even told me that they KNOW it is going on, but there isn't much that they can do about it (whatever). Please do not fall for buying marked up prices (out of desperation) on figures - that only makes the process more marketable for those "insiders" (employees), and tempts them to do it all the more. I have reported the problem to the Hasbro Consumer Affairs (1-800-327-8264), as well as the Walmart Consumer Affairs. If you are experiencing the same problem as I am, don't be naive about it and simply think that other collectors are just getting there before you do - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Investigate and report it to the Consumer Affairs departments with Hasbro and Walmart. If enough people bring it to their attention, hopefully the problem will be resolved. Thank you.

2-1B
01-17-2003, 02:17 AM
Good advice, I agree we should do something. If there are managers allowing it, then we have to go over their heads. :mad:

All the more reason to scour the pallets before those filthy employees can loot them.

QLD
01-17-2003, 02:19 AM
Shhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

You're gonna kill my business!!!

Beast
01-17-2003, 02:20 AM
Unfortunatly, it's not against the law for people to buy and resell things. As long as the employees are purchasing the items on their own time, they have just as much right to buy it as anyone else. And there is very little proof that the items arn't hitting the shelves. Sorry to completly bust your bubble about this, but it's been debated endlessly.

And the problem is never going to be resolved, because there is no problem. While what they are doing is morally wrong in our eyes, legally there is no recourse against it. We may not like it, we may hate it, but unless the store themselves decides to limit the quantities allowed to be purchased, there isn't much that can be done. :)

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-17-2003, 02:28 AM
That's true Jar Jar Binks - it isn't against the law to BUY and resell, but who said anything about the employees "buying" anything? After my thorough conversations with the managers, it is pretty safe to say that not all of them actually do any "shopping.";)

Beast
01-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Oh please, I highly doubt that these dubious employees are actually stealing the figures and are still working there. That's just rediculous. A store isn't gonna care who buys what they get, but they arn't going to allow people to actually steal from there. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Also, Jar Jar, I have found A LOT of proof that they are NOT hitting the shelves in some stores. During the holidays, I was there practically everyday (and night) when the employees reportedly said they stock the SWFs, but nothing new was ever put on the shelves. The MANAGERS who I talked with at the Cerritos, Paramount, and Long Beach stores even told me point blank that it WAS going on - they are just limited as to what they can do about it. That is why I am urging collectors not to be naive, but to check it out and report it. Maybe someone on a higher level will actually do something about it!

Yes, yes, yes - some of the managers HAVE admitted that there are thieves, er, excuse me, employees who ARE stealing figures and are STILL employed there. One manager even urged me to take it to a higher level so that something will be done about it. The Hasbro Consumer Affairs toll free number is: 800-327-8264, and to contact Walmart Consumer Affairs call: 1-800-WALMART and click on the prompt that leads you to the Lee Scott Department. Thank you.

Hey Jar Jar, by the way, what do you do for a living?

Mod Note: Merged back to back posts together. If you need to add something, use the "Edit" Button.
DA

metaljedi
01-17-2003, 05:12 AM
Well it must be a LA thing cause I've found pretty much everything at walmart except the Saga Tie Bomber. The Xmas pack and the Trash Compactor scenes were sitting on the shelves.

plasticfetish
01-17-2003, 05:40 AM
Interesting (raises one eyebrow.)
As someone who shops at all of those particular stores, I find it interesting to hear that the managers would tell you THAT much. I'm not surprised by the employee [EDITED] scalper thing ... I know those stores and I know how they're probably selling what they find (if they CAN sell it.) I doubt that it's the Wal-Mart employees stealing though ... I've seen my share of scalpers and you'd be surprised just how persistent THEY tend to be. (If you're there once/twice a day, they're there four times as much. Though we're probably seeing each other and thinking ... "Hey, there's a scalper! Grrrrr!")

I would say that for the most part though, I'm not sure that the holiday "distribution" problem was just an east L.A. County problem. I'd say that thanks to the dock worker problem that we had in the ports (Long Beach) up and down the coast ... distribution was pretty messed up nation wide. If anything, once merchandise started moving into the stores, we had a huge advantage because our particular sources ... Wal-Mart & Target (LB, Lakewood, Cerritos, Seal Beach, Paramount, etc.) ... are getting stuff first because they're closest to the port. More so in the case of those brand new Long Beach Wal-Marts because they're really interested in getting stuff on the floors and making these stores look good.

I don't believe that the majority of Wal-Mart employees ... or more than one or two probably ... are scalping though. We just aren't getting that much new stuff in (period.) BUT ... as someone who has NO problem hassling jerks that abuse the "system" and burn me when it comes to my not having a shot at what's out there ... I'd more than welcome a PM with more specific info on what stores and who you talked to about this. It's something to think about when I'm out shopping.

... and JarJar's right ... it's been debated endlessly, though I think it's one of the few things that deserves to remain an active topic. The employee/scalpers hurt their stores image by scooping the customers on merchandise. The main draw for these huge stores is that the stuff will be on the shelves and that it's convenient to locate and purchase. If employees DO abuse their access to the inventory, they end up doing damage to how the community perceives that particular stores selection. (In this case ... "Ugh, that place still only has 40 Senator JarJar figures!") Yet, yeah ... what can you do? It's like having birds c**p on your car. You can either throw rocks at them (which makes you look like a nut) or you can just park some place else.

-pf

Mod Note: I removed offensive word. Even if its a mis-type, please watch what you type.
DA

mista_carrot
01-17-2003, 06:39 AM
That is just great!:frus: I was going to go to the Long Beach WM today to look for the Trash compactor sets. So should I just not go??? That's the closest WM to me:cry:

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 09:20 AM
That could explain a great many things about our local Walmart, why figures appear plentiful at neighboring Walmarts, but never in local store. I almost always have to leave town to find anything Star Wars. I have a cousin who is managing a store down south, I will have to ask him about this kind of behavior and if it goes on.

Kidhuman
01-17-2003, 10:11 AM
When I worked at Caldors(a store that was similar to Wal-MArt) I would go into the stock room and open all the cases. I would buy them for me and leave the rest to be stocked out. It is an advantage, but there are the employees that steal things. I don't know what kind of security they have in the stores by you guys in Ca. but we had a good security staff.(I was one of them.) We would put up cameras and all i n the stock room to catch the employees in their dasterdly deeds. Some employees actually will buy them and some will try to steal them. If the mangers are aware that the employees are stealing and doing nothing about it, that makes them even more guilty then the employees.

Dr Zoltar
01-17-2003, 10:53 AM
I had a friend who used to work at the Target in La Verne, CA. In the mid 90's the employees would hide the new deliveries of Star Wars stuff. All the stock shelves were wooden, and one near the bottom in a corner was loose. He's pry it up and stash a box or two there. Then at the end of the day, he'd retrieve it and purchase what he needed.

I don't know if it's still going on today, but it has happened in the past. I wouldn't have believed it if he didn't indeed show me the "broken" shelf.

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 11:08 AM
Outrageous isnt it!!! Makes me want to reach out, grab hold of an idiot doing this and just pound on him!!! How would you be able to prove this is or is not happening?

stillakid
01-17-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by kidhuman
When I worked at Caldors(a store that was similar to Wal-MArt) I would go into the stock room and open all the cases. I would buy them for me and leave the rest to be stocked out. It is an advantage,

I believe that this is the precise behavior that is at issue. The question being, what right does a store employee have to pilfer what they want before the items hit the shelves? While surely not illegal, one outside the system might assume (obviously incorrectly) that stores would have specific policies against this.

So even if the items were required to hit the shelves, then the employee promptly pulled them down for themselves, it might seem like a formality at that point, but an important distinction could be made...and if actual customers just happened to be standing there as the pegs were stocked, then said employees would have to "compete" for the items just like everyone else.

However you slice it, this practice by employees as described above is at the very least unfair to consumers and at worst, a terrible reflection on the companies involved as a whole. If it were me (and it isn't) and I was either an executive at Hasbro or an executive at a retailer and I found out this was going on, I'd prompty pull the product from the particular store at fault and/or make a publicly humilating example out of the "dishonest" employees for, essentially, driving away legitimate business.

sith_killer_99
01-17-2003, 11:20 AM
I am surprised that Dar hasn't chimed in on this issue yet.

He has stated many times in the past that these actions are grounds for firing Wal-Mart employees. They are required to put the merchandise out first. Buying directly from the stock room is not permitted.

With that said, I am sure that where there is a will there is a way.:(

JediBoulton
01-17-2003, 11:22 AM
Dr. Zoltar -- I have done this in the past. Most of the shelves in Walmart and Target are made of thin metal. The bottom sections are about three feet across and are very light. You can move items around on the shelf and make it to where you can pick of the front edge of the shelf and stash a few figures that you do not have the cash for right now and get them later. As I have gotten older -- I have realized that this is just not nice and I no longet practice this; if I see a figure -- I but it then -- worry about the wife later :)

My local wal-marts have not had any new shipments of figures since before X-mas. I know that there was a shippment right after Jan 5, because I saw the boxes shrinkwrapped on the pallet -- but could not get to them. The stocker told me that they would be on the shelves in the am. I arrived the next morning about 06:10 and there were NO figures to be seen. There was no evidence of ANY figures being put on the shelf. I asked the toy manager if he new where they went, because I had seen them last night. He was cluless and would not talk about it.
If I new that the stockers were hording the figures -- I would surely let the managers know. It is just not right to let them sell the figures out of the back storeroom like they are doing.

Unless I get to be a customer also :evil:

Originally posted by sith_killer_99

He has stated many times in the past that these actions are grounds for firing Wal-Mart employees. They are required to put the merchandise out first. Buying directly from the stock room is not permitted.

With that said, I am sure that where there is a will there is a way.:(

I was told this same thing by a wal-mart employee. If I were just to take the figures off the pallet, BEFORE they were put onto pegs, in WALMARTS eyes this was considered STEALING -- even though I was on my way to the cash register to pay for the figures. SOOO -- If it is considered stealing for me to take the figures from the pallet (and pay for them) -- then it should be considered theft of product for the employee that does this for their own gain.

Mod Note: Edited Back2Back posts. If you need to add something, please use the "edit" button.
DA

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 11:33 AM
I totally agree with your comments here, my blood is boiling I am so angry, it all makes sense, like JediBoulton has said, there has been nothing new put out on the Walmart shelves since A WEEK BEFORE Christmas. Funny, everybody has said to blame the scalpers and blame Hasbro...
:mad:

JediBoulton
01-17-2003, 11:39 AM
The fact that I have SEEN new inventory being brought in -- and not seing ANY new or newer products on the shelves is rpoff that something is going on in the back rooms -- and all we can do is watch, until we complain to a higher power -- or start kicking some stockboy butt!! :frus:

Prince Xizor
01-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by JediBoulton
If I were just to take the figures off the pallet, BEFORE they were put onto pegs, in WALMARTS eyes this was considered STEALING -- even though I was on my way to the cash register to pay for the figures. SOOO -- If it is considered stealing for me to take the figures from the pallet (and pay for them) -- then it should be considered theft of product for the employee that does this for their own gain.

Are you saying this from the point of view of a customer? Because if you are, I totally disagree on Walmarts Policy there. If they say that a CUSTOMER cannot buy something out on the sale floor just because its not on a peg is a load of crap. If it is not in the backroom, it should be able to be purchased. (And I have done it before. I ripped open a couple of Spidey Classic boxes on a pallet, on the sales floor to get a couple o' figures inside. And not one employee said [EDITED] to me.)

Mod Note: Getting around the Auto Censor like that is not allowed. Word Edited.
DA

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 12:06 PM
I agree with Prince Xizor, but I also think the only employee(s) that would say anything or try to make an issue of a customer taking something out of a sealed container on the "floor" would be an angry employee that wanted that for themselves. Or atleast wanted first look thru what was in the box...

Jayspawn
01-17-2003, 12:24 PM
I've heard about Wal-Mart employees doing this in the past. It makes some sence. All my Wal-Marts were empty for the holidays, unfortunatly. I'd do or say something if I saw employees buying them up. Wal-mart has been dissapointing for some time now.

JediBoulton
01-17-2003, 12:25 PM
You guys are 100% right -- it is a load of crap. I questioned the employee about the policy. He said that if I took them -- I would be reported to the store manager. I said," Fine -- call him -- if I pay for these -- I am not stealing" He called the manager and he met me at the register and accused me of stealing. I asked him what it was I was stealing. He pointed to the figures on the register. "You took those from the upopened pallet -- thats stealing" The toy manager rang up the figures (which showed to be in inventory) and let me pay for them. The toy manager asked me not to take the figures from the pallets again. I asked to speak to the STORE MANAGER along with the Police officer that was at the front entrance. I explained to them exactly what happened and the employee agree with my story. The manager and officer laughed and said that there was no issue. I asked NOT to be harassed by this employee again when I am shopping because I knew he was hording SW figures in the back for himself and his friends. This guy is STILL employed at the local walmart.

Funny, I quit shopping at places like this -- I dont care HOW MANY NEW SW FIGURES THEY HAVE!!!

JediDBM
01-17-2003, 12:34 PM
Good for you JediBoulton!!! I Love to hear stories where one of the Good guys comes out ahead, it cant be any more obvious than this!!! Will it take going to a corperate office of Walmart to get someone to start investigating these allegations? Probably not just Star Wars this is happening with, but...

Emperor Howdy
01-17-2003, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
Interesting (raises one eyebrow.)
I'm not surprised by the employee [EDITED] scalper thing

Ooook, not that this thread isn't fascinating, but I'm a little confused by plasticfetish's comment. REEEEEEALLY confused, actually. :confused:

Mod Note: Removed offensive word.
DA

Kidhuman
01-17-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
I believe that this is the precise behavior that is at issue. The question being, what right does a store employee have to pilfer what they want before the items hit the shelves? While surely not illegal, one outside the system might assume (obviously incorrectly) that stores would have specific policies against this.

So even if the items were required to hit the shelves, then the employee promptly pulled them down for themselves, it might seem like a formality at that point, but an important distinction could be made...and if actual customers just happened to be standing there as the pegs were stocked, then said employees would have to "compete" for the items just like everyone else.

However you slice it, this practice by employees as described above is at the very least unfair to consumers and at worst, a terrible reflection on the companies involved as a whole. If it were me (and it isn't) and I was either an executive at Hasbro or an executive at a retailer and I found out this was going on, I'd prompty pull the product from the particular store at fault and/or make a publicly humilating example out of the "dishonest" employees for, essentially, driving away legitimate business.

There are no set store policies against this. In my store all the employees were doing this. It was either don't get any at all or do it to complete your collection. All employees will go into stock rooms and get what they need. The only laws against it are if something has a specific release date, it can not be sold until that day. Unless an employee is actually stealing the merchandise, their is nothing a store manager or security can do. I worked in security for 9 years. I agree it is wrong to do it,(I did it 10 years ago my opinion has changed, but as a collector I really had no choice.) but it is not stealing.

stillakid
01-17-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kidhuman
, but as a collector I really had no choice..

Who was it exactly that put that gun to your head?

There's always a choice. I sympathize that doing the "right" thing is oftentimes the harder option, but nothing defines a person's character more than how they choose to behave when temptation is so easy to submit to.

To wax a little philosophically here, it's a tad bit sad that those that claim to love Star Wars so much as to spend their hard earned money to collect it's merchandise, can somehow miss one of the overwhelming thematic messages that the saga attempts to illustrate to us. And if you don't know what that message is, you're even worse off than you might have thought.

fourtwo
01-17-2003, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Caesar

All the more reason to scour the pallets before those filthy employees can loot them.

that just makes me feel ill. absolutley terrible.
:frus:
when i worked at TRU we had people like you who would scoure the pallet and get what they wanted and not leave any for anyone else, as opposed to me, who would buy one of what i needed then made a point of putting the newest stock out to please people. after a while i just stopped caring cause 90% of "collectors" i dealt with were greedy liying buggers only out to get something of "value" at any cost, no matter who they screwed.

jpak001
01-17-2003, 03:50 PM
I think this is definitely happening around here. I haven't found one new figure at ANY Walmarts in my area (and I hunt a lot).

Target has a rule against these activities. While they may not pay much attention to SW figs, I know someone who was fired for doing that with hot wheels. This person was also doing it with SW figs, but he would actually sell them to freinds for retail price (imagine that!). He did make lots of $$$ from his hot wheels though....

QLD
01-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I love scouring the pallets. It's great.

And why should I leave any for anyone else if I want everything there. If I want it, I buy it. I expect other people to behave the same way.

If there was someone there at the same time as me who wanted it, I would share, but I am not going to ASSUME that other people are going to come in and buy them later, when I want to buy them myself.

I get so sick of this "help your fellow collectors" lecturing. I will help myself, and my friends, and people who ask. I am not a charity. I am trying to complete my collection, not everyone's.

Sounds harsh, but that's reality.

plasticfetish
01-17-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Ooook, not that this thread isn't fascinating, but I'm a little confused by plasticfetish's comment. REEEEEEALLY confused, actually. :confused:

Huh? Wait ... now I'm confused by your post.
Oh, uh ... was it this?

[EDITED FOR CONTENT]
I think that was the word I was trying to use.
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Mod Note; I edited that section for content. The word is vulgar regardless if it is in the dictonary or not.
DA

ajaugie1
01-17-2003, 05:03 PM
I don't have a problem with store employees buying figures for themselves. Heck I am sure people have taken jobs or part time jobs for the access. I do have a problem if they are buying multiples (cases) just to resell at a higher price....just like any scalper who buys them from the pegs.

Oh...for the record, I DON"T work in a store.

Actually still looking for Ephant. :(

Mod Note: Merged Back2Back posts. If you need to add something, use the edit button.
DA

Patient Zero
01-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
I love scouring the pallets. It's great.

And why should I leave any for anyone else if I want everything there. If I want it, I buy it. I expect other people to behave the same way.

If there was someone there at the same time as me who wanted it, I would share, but I am not going to ASSUME that other people are going to come in and buy them later, when I want to buy them myself.

I get so sick of this "help your fellow collectors" lecturing. I will help myself, and my friends, and people who ask. I am not a charity. I am trying to complete my collection, not everyone's.

Sounds harsh, but that's reality.

Not at all. I'm sick of everyone screaming about how buying more than one of each figure is unfair for everyone else. Who told you people that life was ever fair? Why do you have the misconception that we are all suppose to have an equal piece of the pie? When you are young and you skin your knee, your parents tell you that everything is going to be alright because at that age you need to believe that, but it is not true. You get what you take and what you give (through the satisfaction of the process of giving), but don't sit there doing nothing and expect to be given things. Real life is not fair or unfair, life/the world is not out to get you or save you. That is just your own ego whispering in your ear.

Rant...Rant...Rant...Rave........Disco?:crazed:

M1-H2
01-17-2003, 05:12 PM
Actually, Plasticfetish, the information that I obtained from SOME of the managers is TRUE. I am not lying. Some of them didn't give me any information, but some of them ACTUALLY DID. One in particular requested that I contact a higher source, so that the problem might be resolved. If it is not happening, why would SOME of the MANAGERS admit that it was going on? This is not just a blind speculation. I have actually seen Target employees boldly selling Star Wars figures and Hot Wheels in the actual Target parking lot! One Target employee (Torrance Target) was actually caught, and instead of being fired, was simply transferred to another department. My goal is simply to help other collectors be more aware of what is going on, rather than to be naive.

fourtwo
01-17-2003, 07:35 PM
i love how serious everyone gets over these damn toys. everything is all well and good til something bad happens to you, then its rant rant rant on SSG how you're getting screwed.

i'm glad i don't hang out with any "serious" collectors, it would take all the fun out of it.

and for the record, buying more then one figure is being unfair to everyone else. its greedy and we all know being greedy is wrong.

QLD
01-17-2003, 07:44 PM
Greed.......for the lack of a better word.......is good......

2-1B
01-17-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by fourtwo
that just makes me feel ill. absolutley terrible.
:frus:
when i worked at TRU we had people like you who would scoure the pallet and get what they wanted and not leave any for anyone else, as opposed to me, who would buy one of what i needed then made a point of putting the newest stock out to please people. after a while i just stopped caring cause 90% of "collectors" i dealt with were greedy liying buggers only out to get something of "value" at any cost, no matter who they screwed.

If you had any idea what you were talking about to begin with, I would explain to you what I meant. :crazed:

;)

Darth Sidious
01-17-2003, 08:36 PM
That's pretty sick. I've heard of corruption in the senate, but corruption in Wal-Mart is new to me. :rolleyes:

M1-H2
01-17-2003, 09:36 PM
Hasbro Consumer Affairs: 1-800-327-8264
Walmart Consumer Affairs: 1-800-WALMART (follow the prompts that lead you to the Lee Scott Department)
Report it, don't settle for anything less......

Beast
01-17-2003, 09:44 PM
Report what? Some unsubstantiated rumors coming from a third party who supposedly was told by Managers that employees are stealing from the store. I can believe the employees may be buying the hot toys and reselling them. But actually stealing them, and still working there. No store is going to let their employees get away with that sort of activity. Especially management, who's jobs could actually be in jeopordy, from the ammount of stealing that you claim is going on. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
01-18-2003, 12:01 AM
I went to Target a week ago. They must have had 10 Slave 1 starships. I went back today when I first heard they'd be 75% off from ssg. There was not ONE left. I KNOW there are collectors who work at Target. All of the newest figures never show up and when the accessory sets were HOT, there were none to be found until they "sizzled" down. WHAT A BUNCH OF ****!!! I can never find anything at Target because of all the slime balls working there!! They are hoarding...end of story.

Dar' Argol
01-18-2003, 01:16 AM
WOW! A lot of issues here to tackle:rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by M1-H2
To put it all in a nutshell, I have spoken to several employees, MANAGERS, and security guards and found out that the reason I can never find my figures (when they have reportedly hit other stores) is because the employees aren't putting them on the shelves!

Just because you hear about them hitting one or two WM's doesn't mean they are everywhere. The last assortment we got in late Nov/early Dec was the Ephant Wave. Then we got nothing else all Dec. Its not that they were not putting it out, or employees buying them b/4 they hit the floor, it was because Hasbro was not sending use anything. So just b/c you hear other stores getting them does not mean your store will too.

Also, Jar Jar, I have found A LOT of proof that they are NOT hitting the shelves in some stores. During the holidays, I was there practically everyday (and night) when the employees reportedly said they stock the SWFs, but nothing new was ever put on the shelves. The MANAGERS who I talked with at the Cerritos, Paramount, and Long Beach stores even told me point blank that it WAS going on - they are just limited as to what they can do about it. That is why I am urging collectors not to be naive, but to check it out and report it. Maybe someone on a higher level will actually do something about it!

So you have concrete proof??? The associates will tell a collector anything they want to hear just to get rid of them. WHY DO YOU ASK??? Because Toy Stockers cannot stand Collectors. I know, I worked that Dept and I cannot stand them. Majority of us collector, (Not all), are pushy, rude, self-centered jerks who will whine and cry if they can't get what they want. And because of those nimrods, it give a bad name to all collectors. And that line about "they are just limited as to what they can do" is laughable! IF a manager knows that an associate is not stocking the shelves, i.e. not doing their job, then they can give them a verbal warning. If this persists, then comes a written warning, or coaching. then, if they still done get a clue, they will be terminated. So "they are limited" is just a line that manager fed you to get you out of their face.

Yes, yes, yes - some of the managers HAVE admitted that there are thieves, er, excuse me, employees who ARE stealing figures and are STILL employed there. One manager even urged me to take it to a higher level so that something will be done about it.

And why, pray tell, would a manager in his right OR left mind tell a customer that!?!?! That is an internal security issue that is to be discussed with no one other then the Store Manager and Loss Prevention. Because what if you were a friend of one of those stealing??? You could warn them to lay low for a bit. No manager would ever tell a customer about internal security issues. That's just bad buisness. And if they are aware of said ppl stealing, they would be fired. Unless they are trying to gather evidence, i.e. CCTV tapes, Associate statements, against them to fire them. And if you do call corperate, do you know what they will do, they will call the Store Manager and tell him to investigate the claim. So if the Store manager doesn't care, guess what?? Nothing gets done.

My goal is simply to help other collectors be more aware of what is going on, rather than to be naive.

What it sounds like your trying to do is cause a collector wide panic and scare ppl into starting something with WM. Do you know, on adverage, in a WM store how many SW collectors there are??? 8. That's right, on Adverage there are about 8 SW collectors in a WM store. That's out of approx 300 associates in a store. I have worked in 9 different WM's for short stints over the past 5 1/2 years and the most collectors of SW I have met have been 11 in one store. Mostly there is about 5 or so. There are more HotWheels collectors in WM then SW. So saying that these adverage 8 ppl are taking ALL the SW figs is a little much. WM doesn't pay that much and even if they were stealing, someone wold notice that they have an on-hand count of 150 SWW figs, but none can be found anywhere. Relaxe a bit, we just have not been gettin it in from Hasbro. Everyone knows their distribution is not the greatest.

Originally posted by sith_killer_99

I'm here SK99:D

Now I never said "BUYING" from the stock room is not permitted. I said that holding something somewhere while said associate is still working is not permitted. I have "Bought' from the stockroom. BUT, that is after I make sure that they are out on the shelf. I would rather leave those out there for the customers to purchase and pick up the extras in the back, then purchase the one fig someone was looking for and then think we not have it. But that is only done IF they are already out on the shelf. If they are not out yet, I will either ask a Toy Stocker to put out that case, or I will do it myself, if I have the time before I leave, so that they are out for purchase.

The fact that I have SEEN new inventory being brought in -- and not seing ANY new or newer products on the shelves is rpoff that something is going on in the back rooms -- and all we can do is watch, until we complain to a higher power -- or start kicking some stockboy butt!!

And how have you seen this??? And are you positive that it was Figures, not something else SW, or even Lego??? I have been fooled several times in the morning, walking up to a truck skid and seeing the familiar Hasbro box . . . . . . only to find out its Metabots or Bob the Builder. ANd if it was SW stuff, was the shelves full to start with??? Because if they were, they would not have put any more out at all. They do not rotate the stock like you have to do in a grocery store. there is not experation date on SW figs. If the pegs are full, they are not going to take down 12 old figs to put up 12 newer ones. Why? Because we need to get rid of the older stuff first. If we don't, we'll be like TRU and constantly repackaging stuff and storing it until 6 months down the road. WM does not function that way. And I assure you, one sure way to get kicked out and a "No Tresspassing Charge" thrown at you is to "start kicking some stockboy butt!!"

Everyone just need to relax. These are TOYS ppl!! Childrens playthings! That's all they are. This thread is starting to look like it came out of the Tolkien Message boards with as rabid as some of you are getting. Geez, relax. Does it really matter in the end how big your collection was???

M1-H2
01-18-2003, 02:57 AM
Dar'Argol,
It seems that I have found the Walmart backroom spokesperson. If collecting is such a light thing for you, you sure get defensive and ancy over some concerned collectors who would just like to have a fair playing field without some opportunist employees ruining it for collectors within the Southbay. All we would like is for stuff to hit the shelves when it comes in. Nothing more. We are not trying to have some hostile rebellion, even though it gets quite frustrating driving around for hours a week to find out that some dishonest and unscrupulous Walmart employees are ruining it for cities full of HONEST collectors who find enjoyment in acquiring their figures the old fashioned way-without cheating or deceiving. Sure, the honest guys (collectors) are on the same side (the Rebel Alliance) and we are fighting the Evil Imperial Forces within the ranks. It's an uphill battle, but one we're willing to fight for justice. Truth overcomes deception in the end-don't you watch the end of the Star Wars movies?:) People like myself, who started collecting Star Wars figures since 1977 remember when store employees had scruples and managers cared about the customers and keeping them. The circus that some L.A.Walmart employees are putting on today is killing the spirit of collecting, and opening doors for crooks at E-Bay and Frank & Son to make a dishonest living while sapping the spirit of collecting-loving Star Wars fans.

plasticfetish
01-18-2003, 03:50 AM
:D

Actually, Plasticfetish, the information that I obtained from SOME of the managers is TRUE. I am not lying.
:)
Didn't say you had. On the contrary ... I'm pretty sure I said (before this thread started heating up a bit, like it has) that I was interested in knowing more of the specifics. Still am, if you want to PM me with the store details It'd be cool to know which stores in particular you're talking about. Again ... "It's something to think about when I'm out shopping." Though ... I would seriously take the info that Dar' Argol has given to heart ... having had first hand contact with people that work in the stores that we're talking about, It seems to me that 99.99% of them are mostly concerned with just doing their jobs ... not Star Wars toys and how much they sell for at Frank & Son or whatever other local Beanie Baby Mall.

... and yes, like Mr. Dar' Argol said ... "Geez, relax"
on that note ...

:o:sur:

Originally posted by Dar' Argol
Mod Note; I edited that section for content. The word is vulgar regardless if it is in the dictonary or not.
DA
I'm your biggest fan, but ... mmmm ... I think Howdy and I where kidding around (double entendre, wink wink nudge nudge) about the "vulgar" slang version of that "word" ... at least I figured we were ... and ... ummm ... it IS a word commonly used that has nothing to do with ... errrr ... the other thing. It wasn't really a mis-type ... hmmm ... perhaps I should just take it all "cum grano salis" (with a grain of salt.)
Nice Howdy! Getting me in trouble. :rolleyes:
;):kiss:

2-1B
01-18-2003, 04:10 AM
I graduated magna cum laude.
Or was it suma cum laude ?
Either way, I'm sure this is more of an isolated incident with maybe one or two bad apples. If a manager is involved, then yes go ahead and complain over his or her head. :)

M1-H2
01-18-2003, 03:42 PM
It doesn't seem to be an isolated incident from the response that I've seen on this thread, as well as from what I've heard from other collectors and employees. I only want other collectors to be informed that this DOES indeed go on, so that he/she doesn't get taken advantage of. I spoke with 4 managers, 2 security guards (one of which knew all about the "Frank & Son" scam - Cerritos Walmart), several employees, Tom C'ornelson (regional manager), and Hasbro consumer affairs. What it boils down to is this, there are those who are true fans and want to simply complete their collection, and there are those who are in it to make a buck off of someone else's naivety. I question the motive of those who are defensive about what goes on behind the scenes of Walmart stores (and other stores). I know that it doesn't exist everywhere, but in many places it does. ;) So, to all (true fan) collectors out there, it would be to your advantage to be more vigilant and wary. ;) :)

Beast
01-18-2003, 03:47 PM
You mean paranoid? :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
01-18-2003, 08:20 PM
I smell an illuminati conspiracy.

Dar' Argol
01-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Dar'Argol,
It seems that I have found the Walmart backroom spokesperson. If collecting is such a light thing for you, you sure get defensive and ancy over some concerned collectors who would just like to have a fair playing field without some opportunist employees ruining it for collectors within the Southbay.
I am by far not a "light collector". Anyone who has seen pics of my collection knows that. And I don't get "ancy and defensive" over concerned collectors. I get ancy and defensive over paraniod collectors. This sounds like to me a local incident, not a company-wide epidemic as you would like everyone to believe. In the 5 stores surrounding me I have yet to hear of problems like this. And also, life isn't fair, collecting isn't fair, the government isn't fair, get use to it.

All we would like is for stuff to hit the shelves when it comes in. Nothing more.

And it does, When it comes in! If the pegs/shelves are full, obviously they are not going to over stuff it. And they are not going to "rotate the stock" because most of the stockers in Toys are not SW fans. So they would not know the differance between the Padme's that have been sitting there and the Yoda's coming in now as far a newness goes.

We are not trying to have some hostile rebellion, even though it gets quite frustrating driving around for hours a week to find out that some dishonest and unscrupulous Walmart employees are ruining it for cities full of HONEST collectors who find enjoyment in acquiring their figures the old fashioned way-without cheating or deceiving.

If you think its frustrating to drive around for Hours a week, imagine going to work every day hoping that something new would come in, and it doesn't . . . . . . . for 2 MONTHS!!! That is frustrating. Driving around for a few hours a week is relaxation:D. Besides, is it not rewarding when you have been searching for something and then one day you walk in and there it sits. The thrill of the hunt. Half of the reason I started collecting. And if you are not "trying to have some hostile rebellion", why then do you state "dishonest and unscrupulous Walmart employees are ruining it for cities full of HONEST collectors"????? Full cities are being ruined???? I never knew. Did Springfield Ill dissapear off the map last night??? Dang, now I have to update my maps:D.

Sure, the honest guys (collectors) are on the same side (the Rebel Alliance) and we are fighting the Evil Imperial Forces within the ranks. It's an uphill battle, but one we're willing to fight for justice. Truth overcomes deception in the end-don't you watch the end of the Star Wars movies?:)

Ummmmm . . . . I think that might be taking these movies a little too seriously. Next thing I'll hear is that there is a town in Maine called Raccon City that was just over run but Zombies:D :D. If you want to talk about fight for justice, search the POTJ forums for "Tie Bomber" and read how I relised a mistake that WM made, not having it to be sold until after 4/23, even though it was a POTJ item. And then read on how I helped fix the problem.

The circus that some L.A.Walmart employees are putting on today is killing the spirit of collecting, and opening doors for crooks at E-Bay and Frank & Son to make a dishonest living while sapping the spirit of collecting-loving Star Wars fans.

So have to tried going out of state to see if your claim that all of WM is doing this is correct??? As I said, this seems like a local store problem, you need to contact the District Manager for that store and explain what you have been told. Be sure to include the names of the 'managers' that you spoke to and any names of assoicates that are involved. That is all you can do. But as I stated before, WM has not gotten much SW stuff in since late Nov/early Dec. Hasbro has not been sending it. So your info may be incorrect, and they just did not get anything in for a while. I know its been about a month or so since my store got anything in, and we just got the Yoda/Destroyer case in yesterday . . . . 1 case of them. That's it. So before you start a collector wide panic that ALL WM employees are keeping the SW stuff for themselves or re-selling it, make sure you have concrete proof. And in more then just your local stores. Having someone say that their store hasn't gotten anything in for over a month is not proof that its happening there too. They just might not have gotten any in:rolleyes: :D

Originally posted by plasticfetish
I'm your biggest fan, but ... mmmm ... I think Howdy and I where kidding around (double entendre, wink wink nudge nudge) about the "vulgar" slang version of that "word" ... at least I figured we were ... and ... ummm ... it IS a word commonly used that has nothing to do with ... errrr ... the other thing. It wasn't really a mis-type ... hmmm ... perhaps I should just take it all "cum grano salis" (with a grain of salt.)

While it may be a common word used in other words, when someone reads that, usually the first thing that come to mind is the vulgar term. And since this is a All Ages Site, usually the first definition that enters a teenagers mind is the vulgar term. So that is why it was removed. I understand the kidding, but being an All Ages Site, there is certain things that tread the line, and that's one of them. No worries though PF, but now you know:D

jobi
01-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Well if you have that much of a problem with it get a part time job stocking the shelves. If you can't beat em' join em'.:greedy: :greedy: :greedy:

plasticfetish
01-19-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Dar' Argol
While it may be a common word used in other words, when someone reads that, usually the first thing that come to mind is the vulgar term. And since this is a All Ages Site, usually the first definition that enters a teenagers mind is the vulgar term.
Understood.
I suppose, as an adult I've grown distant from what is obviously the truly erotic allure of certain Latin words. Even a dead language can apparently stir the libido of a teen who's grown randy from doing Google searches all afternoon for images of J.Lo's midriff. I will in the future try and watch what and how I say what I'm saying. In this case, though some what cumbersome, perhaps I should have chosen to say "employees who have also become scalpers." It's only a little frustrating that as an adult, I should have to succumb on the basis of a teenage person's misunderstanding of a word that they may in fact be learning in their high school Latin class as we speak. Take for instance Ceaser ...

Originally posted by Caesar
I graduated magna cum laude.
Or was it suma cum laude ?
... obviously a scholar and in no way perversely effected by Latin conjunctions (or not that we know.) Yet, we can't assume that they're all as mature as he is ... so, I would suggest that other words or even names familiar to the Star Wars lexicon be called into question on the basis of their suspicious similarity to other perverse words. For instance, Organa, Moff, Wuher, Watto, Plo Koon, Dooku and Luminara Unduli (which even has an effect on me, an old person.) My greatest concern is not with merely preventing the corruption of our SSG youth, but with preventing any offense to those delicate elders like Emperor Howdy. He was the first to point out this problem and I would thank him for going forward, like a canary into a smut filled coal mine, to test my initial post for purity and perhaps clarity. Thank you Howdy. I hope that you can recover and I promise to you that I will never ... come winter, come summer, come dead of night, come whatever long and rambling post I may toss out there like a log ... I will never offend you or the "kids" again.

"Doing it for the kids."
-Plasticfetish

PS. Dar, before you shoot this t-virus infected thread in the head, wasn't that Raccoon City place you mentioned mysteriously destroyed by a nuclear bomb?

Jaff
01-19-2003, 02:55 AM
It's interesting that noone even paid any attention to quite long dong. You'd think with such a chosen name and such constructive coments that he'd get the attention he so needs.

Anyways I've been a multi unit manager in retail for several years and the fact is that managers are fired for trafficking goods anywhere but the shelves or the warehouses. Employees do not hold or move stuff in an inventory controlled store. Bad managers are not aware of stuff going on, and they get replaced sooner or later. These employees that do hold stuff and buy or take the ephant/like valuables get caught sooner or later. If that's happening at your store, observe those you suspect. Meet up with them and offer to buy some rare piece for tripple it's value. If the person agrees contact the SMGR and report the incident. Keep your collectable, and that employee will be dealt with, if not go to the area manager. Someone will listen if you dot your t's and i's. Don't complain about it, catch them and burn them. If they give into profiting bribes they deserve to get caught. Effecting case assortments does damage stock rotation for older figures. If you don't want to deal with the situation at the store in that manor go to another store. Hurt the stores bottom line.

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 03:43 AM
Dar'Argol,
In many of my postings, I have specifically emphasized L.A. WALMARTS, again - L.A. (meaning Los Angeles). I have also emphasized the specific locations within the L.A. area - Cerritos, Paramount, and Long Beach. So, you're accusation that I am holding all Walmarts responsible is incorrect. Please read the postings carefully, so that you don't make further mistakes. Yes, I believe it is going on in other stores, but the information (received from local managers) that I posted was specifically regarding the aforementioned stores. New figures WERE released in December (please see my new thread with the information). As I have said in previous postings, I have already spoken with the regional manager, Tom Cornelson (sp.?), and he confirmed that new items should have been stocked in December. For example, Destroyer Droid (released in December), Yoda - Jedi High Council (released in December), Trash Compactor Sets (released in December and a Walmart exclusive), etc.....more listings in my new thread. I hope this helps you.

Beast
01-19-2003, 03:57 AM
It doesn't matter when something is supposed to be released. The individual stores don't order products from Hasbro, they get what is sent to them. So if a specific store doesn't get somthing in, it doesn't mean that they are stealing them.

It sounds like either your misinterpreting somthing you were told, were told BS cause they wanted to blow you off, or you just have some sort of personal hatred for Wal-Mart. Probably a little of each, judging from your comments. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 04:28 AM
Figures that were released 3-6 months ago being the "newest" figures still on the shelf (L.A. area) is quite surprising with Walmart being America's number one toy distributor in volume.

The only figures still warming the shelves at some Los Angeles area Walmart stores since BEFORE Christmas:

Padme Amidala (Coruscant Attack) - released in August
Han Solo (Endor Raid) - released in August
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Jedi Starfighter Pilot) - released in August
Annakin (Tatooine Attack) - released in September
Bespin Guard (Power of the Jedi) - released in 2001

There are only a few rows of these, so there's a lot of room for new figures.

HASBRO RELEASE DATES/DISTRIBUTION:

Trash Compactor Sets (Walmart Exclusives) - released December!
Cantina Sets (Walmart Exclusives) - released Aug. & November
Destroyer Droid - released in December!
Yoda (Jedi High Council) - released in December!

So, where were the figures that were released in December?

To all (true fan) collectors: I urge you to be vigilant and wary regarding WM employees who are either buying or stealing figures before they hit the shelves, with the intentions of marking up $$$ the prices and selling them as "rare" figures at "flea market" type websites, etc. Don't be naive by falling into their trap, and by believing that other collectors are simply "getting there before you do."

QLD
01-19-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Jaff
It's interesting that noone even paid any attention to quite long dong. You'd think with such a chosen name and such constructive coments that he'd get the attention he so needs.

What? Everyone loves my name! It's their fault I have this name now. If they hadn't accidentally deleted my old user name (Obi-Wan Jabroni) when they upgraded the forums in 2000, I wouldn't have it.

But no moderator has ever questioned it before. In fact, I have no clue why anyone would? :confused: :confused:

Now my comments, well, I do get my weekly spankings from JediTricks, but after 4 years, I like to think we have a wonderful, loving relationship regarding my sense of humor.

But you are right, I love attention, and NEED more of it. GIVE IT to me.

Back on topic, this is a little too X-Files for me.

Anyway, who cares if they are buying SW product before it hits the selves. Shouldn't they get SOME privelages for working there? We live in a "me" society, and that's just how things work. When I worked retail for years, I grabbed and bought what I wanted, because that is one of the perks of working there.

While I have some issues with Wal-mart, I in no way believe there is a conspiracy to keep toys from myself, or others. I mean, they are toys for chrissakes, I wouldn't lose any sleep if they were.

QLD
01-19-2003, 04:34 AM
Dude, you didn't by chance get fired from Wal-Mart did you?

Beast
01-19-2003, 04:38 AM
God, you have some damn problem with Wal-Mart don't you? Dude, seriously. Read thru how Wal-Mart works from some of Dar' Argol's posts. The stores cannot simply order the merchandise, it's an open order item. That means they get what ever Hasbro sends them.

Some Wal-Mart's haven't gotten much since Decemeber, some have. It's a crap shoot. And don't say that other collector's don't buy things before you do, cause they do. Unless you shop every morning on a daily basis, you are going to miss shipments. I think QLD may be right, you probably got fired from Wal-Mart. :happy:

Look at the facts, your only attacking Wal-Mart's. It's not like their the only store that could have so-called scalper employees. Why do you keep changing your story, first you claimed that you knew the employees were stealing. Now you say they are either buying or stealing. If you have proof, then prove it. If not, your just throwing around a bunch of BS. If they are buying the merchandise, then they have every right to it. :p

Now the waiting begins, for this to be merged into your other thread about the same topic you started just the other day. As for the complaints about marking up the prices and selling things as rare, well, buyer beware. If their stupid enough to pay thru the nose for things that can be found somewhere else cheaper, then they deserve to be screwed.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 04:45 AM
This is just an answer to some of the questions regarding release dates from the other thread. Geez, Jar Jar, relax. Why are you so upset? Also, I am not changing my story - figures WERE and are being stolen at the Cerritos, Paramount and Long Beach locations (admitted by managers with whom I spoke), but I don't know about other stores - that is the only reason why I said "buying or selling." The next time you are confused, please ask rather than accuse. Take care.....

Beast
01-19-2003, 04:52 AM
And it couldn't have been part of your original thread, instead of wasting forum resources on an entirely new thread about the same crap that is still on the first page of the forums.

I doubt that figures are being stolen, that is the biggest load of horse poo that I have ever read. If as you claim, the management knew about such thefts, the people working there would have been fired.

A manager is not going to jeoperdize his own position, by letting thefts that are planly visible take place under his watch. You either have some grudge against Wal-Mart, which is clear. Or your twisting somthing you were told, either on purpose or without realizing it.

A manager is not going to tell a customer, no matter what that employees are robbing the store. That's bad for business, so I don't buy what you were supposedly told. Frankly it just looks like your Wal-Mart's, like many others, just haven't gotten somthing new in a while. So now your making it an X-File Conspiracy.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 05:00 AM
Well, actually I thought that Sir Steve's Guide was an open forum which allowed true Star Wars fans to discuss what figures they got & where in order to HELP other collectors. I suppose this forum can be abused, though (for example, to mislead others). I am not misinterpreting anything that was said to me, nor do I hate Walmart. Sorry if I'm hurting your, uh, business......

Beast
01-19-2003, 05:08 AM
It is an open forum, but all we're getting from you is rumor and second hand hearsay. You claim that your stores got stuff in, and instead of putting it out the stole it. When it's possible your store didn't get much in, and someone beat you to it. What about the figures that arn't worth stealing? Are those increasing in numbers at your store?

Your offering no proof, other then what you supposedly heard. And even that is highly unlikely. No store's managers is gonna put up with theives, no store's managers is gonna state that there are theives working the stores. They sure the hell arn't gonna jeopordize their own jobs.

Obviously, you feel that your being cheated. Well, start ordering your stuff thru retailers on-line. That way you get everything you want and you don't have to worry about people supposedly conspiring to steal toys from your hands. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 05:09 AM
I have never worked for Walmart, and I don't hate Walmart. In a perfect world, people are fired for reasons such as stealing, but unfortunately justice doesn't always prevail. Take care.....

Beast
01-19-2003, 05:17 AM
Oh please, if someone is stealing from the store, and they know about it, they sure as hell arn't going to let that employee continue to work there. It's not like the managers own the store, and can look the other way. They have to answer to the heads of the company, and if there is an increased rash of thefts occuring from a store, especially one section, that manager is going to have to answer for it. No ifs, ands, or buts. :rolleyes: :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 05:24 AM
I wish you only the best, Jar Jar.....:)

Beast
01-19-2003, 05:34 AM
Advocate what? What do you think, KebCo or YesterToys or numerous other companies get their figures from stores. Are you that paranoid? It's called a retailer account, they get stuff direct from Hasbro. They can't afford to not make anything on the figures though, like the large chain stores can. The dollar or so more you pay, is well worth the gas money that you seem to be wasting trying to find these things in the stores.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
01-19-2003, 10:15 AM
My beef with Wal*Mart is that the stores are always such a raging mess. It looks like the some of the shoppers brought their farm animals into the store to shop with them... and you KNOW I don't mean ALL W*M shoppers.

Anyhow... I think W*M has done a pretty decent job at keeping up with the figures. Don't complain about them not having anything on the pegs when they could certainly have ALL of the old stuff sitting there like so many other retailers ahve at the moment. It's reasons like this that I don't bother with shopping at stores for figures. My On-line subscription suits me just fine.

JediDBM
01-19-2003, 10:30 AM
Hello everybody, It is unfortunate that we live in a society where there are those who want to make a profit at someone else's expense, us, the collectors, but this is the world we live in. Fighting and arguing with each other here is not going to solve this problem. If you think you are having problems with a store, do what you can to investigate it, report what you find to management, then leave it up to management to do something about it. Please I do not condone these actions, I have taken personal steps to not support these scalpers by refusing to pay the high outrageous mark up prices on ebay, and that is what we should be telling our fellow collectors, dont feed this desire to make outrageous amounts of money from the collectors on ebay and the other auction sites. If they cant sell their product, they will loose interest, but just a handful of us doing this wont help, you have got to spread the word. And quit arguing with your fellow collectors here, I think we are all after the same goal, that is to have the perfect collection. Now I am NOT pointing a finger at anybody here, we all have been giving our "two cents worth" here, including me. The problem is out there, not here, and sharing information with your fellow collectors is great, but let people do with the information what they choose. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2003, 12:46 PM
What i don't get about Wal-Mart is why the hell they didn't send back Palpatine figures.:crazed:

2-1B
01-19-2003, 01:12 PM
JP, you have no idea how accurate that farm animal comparison is ! :)

QLD
01-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by JEDIpartnr
My beef with Wal*Mart is that the stores are always such a raging mess. It looks like the some of the shoppers brought their farm animals into the store to shop with them... and you KNOW I don't mean ALL W*M shoppers.

My sentiments exactly! I could care less about whether the employees are scalping or not. I just wish they would take a break to actually stock something and clean things up so I can walk through the store.

That.....and tell that weird dude with the floor buffer to stop going down every aisle that I go down. I swear he chases me through the store.

2-1B
01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I didn't know it was even possible to take QLD's name as anything other than being humorous. :confused:

jpak001
01-19-2003, 01:49 PM
I've been to that Long Beach WM once, that place was clean when I went... It was like a totally different store, it was CLEAN!!! Didn't find any new figs, but man, it was easy to shop. Maybe it was just that day though, every other WM I've been to has been a mess....

At the Porter Ranch WM, I always get looked at funny by the old guy who checks your receipts too. I guess it must look suspicious to see the same guy coming & going a few times a week and not buying anything! :D

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 04:26 PM
Right on, JediDBM! ;)

SuperBattleDroid88
01-19-2003, 04:43 PM
Actually my Wal-Mart actually got some Destroyer Droids in today. That's actually the newest thing I've seen in a while.

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Hey, my father has buffed many a store floor in his time, and not once, not once, has he ever deviated from his appointed route to torment some unsuspecting customer! :D (j/k) LOL! That was a good one Quite-Long Dong!! I'm with you JP!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-19-2003, 05:07 PM
Ah, the joys of working retail. I worked in retail for a few years and i'm sure anybody else who has can vouch for you get the dumbest questions and see the craziest things. I think one of the more nutty things i've seen is people just dropping stuff on the floor, having it break, and just walking away from it. Not telling anybody about it or anything. I was off the clock when i saw it, i went and got my paycheck, grabbed a pop from the break room and went downstairs and lo'n behold, it hadn't been reported yet. I went and told my supervisor and they got it fixed.

I'm never going to let my children work in retail. I don't want it sucking all hope out of humanity like it did for me, they need some rays of light in this crazy world. :D

Dar' Argol
01-19-2003, 06:07 PM
OK, first off, I merged the "Hasbro Release - Why Not Wal-Mart?" thread into this one. There is no need to start a whole other thread on the same topic. That said . . . .

Dar'Argol,
In many of my postings, I have specifically emphasized L.A. WALMARTS, again - L.A. (meaning Los Angeles). I have also emphasized the specific locations within the L.A. area - Cerritos, Paramount, and Long Beach. So, you're accusation that I am holding all Walmarts responsible is incorrect. Please read the postings carefully, so that you don't make further mistakes.

Well, if this was for the LA area, then you should have stuck it in the "Just Found USA" section under LA or in the 'Collectors Clubs" under an LA club. But what you have done is stick it in a general Saga forum where everyone view. So now you have ppl from Texas to Maine thinking that all of their WM's have employees stealing the figs, when in fact they just might not have received any new stuff in.
Oh, and I did read the posts carefully, and this is what I was finding:

If you are experiencing the same problem as I am, don't be naive about it and simply think that other collectors are just getting there before you do - DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!

That is why I am urging collectors not to be naive, but to check it out and report it.

My goal is simply to help other collectors be more aware of what is going on, rather than to be naive.

Report it, don't settle for anything less......

even though it gets quite frustrating driving around for hours a week to find out that some dishonest and unscrupulous Walmart employees are ruining it for cities full of HONEST collectors who find enjoyment in acquiring their figures the old fashioned way-without cheating or deceiving.

It doesn't seem to be an isolated incident from the response that I've seen on this thread, as well as from what I've heard from other collectors and employees.

I know that it doesn't exist everywhere, but in many places it does. So, to all (true fan) collectors out there, it would be to your advantage to be more vigilant and wary.

From those comments there I get the impression you are implying that all WM are doing it. As a matter of fact, so do a few others:

Originally posted by JediDBM
I totally agree with your comments here, my blood is boiling I am so angry, it all makes sense, like JediBoulton has said, there has been nothing new put out on the Walmart shelves since A WEEK BEFORE Christmas. Funny, everybody has said to blame the scalpers and blame Hasbro...

The fact that I have SEEN new inventory being brought in -- and not seing ANY new or newer products on the shelves is rpoff that something is going on in the back rooms -- and all we can do is watch, until we complain to a higher power -- or start kicking some stockboy butt!!

Originally posted by jpak001
I think this is definitely happening around here. I haven't found one new figure at ANY Walmarts in my area (and I hunt a lot).

Now what might be happening is that those stores have not received anything new in for a while, or that the pegs were filled with peg warmers so they could not fit anymore out. Fewer cases then you'd like to think though may have the employees holding them back, or stealing them:rolleyes:

Yes, I believe it is going on in other stores,

What happened to, "So, you're accusation that I am holding all Walmarts responsible is incorrect."???? Please make up your mind.

but the information (received from local managers) that I posted was specifically regarding the aforementioned stores.

Well then if it was for the "aforementioned stores", then the post should have been in an area where those stores are located. Then you would have "informed' the collectors affected without causeing a collector panic that all WM's are ripping them off and keeping them from their precious little 3 3/4' peices of plastic. Because that is what you have done here, regardless of intent.

New figures WERE released in December (please see my new thread with the information). As I have said in previous postings, I have already spoken with the regional manager, Tom Cornelson (sp.?), and he confirmed that new items should have been stocked in December. For example, Destroyer Droid (released in December), Yoda - Jedi High Council (released in December), Trash Compactor Sets (released in December and a Walmart exclusive), etc.....more listings in my new thread. I hope this helps you.

Yes, yes, yes, Hasbro site says they were released. They even give a date that they said they were going to start shipping this stuff. But when it comes to actually getting the stuff that is a different story. I explained this once before. The reason that your dealers and "Mom and Pop' stores will get the new SW stuff before WM, K-Mart, Target is mainly because of quantity. Your dealer and M&P may only order 500, 1000, maybe even 3000 figs. Your major retailers order 50,000, 75,000 100,000+ at a time. Its easier to fullfill a 1000 peice order over a 100,000 peice order. So it takes longer to reach the retailer. Also, for WM, WE CANNOT ORDER THIS STUFF!!! We have 3 types of merchandise at WM. There is "WS" or "WHSE" which is "Warehouse" and that means we can order it and it will come in within 2-3 days. "AD" or "AS" which is "Assembly". we can order that too and it will come in within 2-4 weeks. And there is "GO" which is "General Order". We cannot order that merchandise. That is taken care of by Home Office. The item and quantities are all taken care by HO. SW is a GO item. We cannot say when we should order it, we cannot say how much, we cannot specifiy which assortment. We get what we get when we get it. And when we get it, its sproactic. 5 stores around my store may all get SW stuff in and we don't, even thought we all get our stuff from the same distrubition center.

The only ppl that ever are on date about release dates is the movie industry. They are the only ones that get their stuff out when they say they will. Why??? Because of all the national advertising they do. SW figsa do no advertising as far as when new stuff will come out, not like the movie industry. So they can say it would come out on this date, and not get it out until a month later and not have to worry about it. Usually when I see release dates for figs, I tack on another month till I would see it. That way if it came earlier then that, I'm pleasently surprised.

And being the nice guy that I am, I'll tell you what I'll do M1 - H2, you get me the Store number and manager name, and I'll get you the District Managers name and phone # and the Regional's name and phone #. All you have to do is take one of your receipts from the alleged store, and look at the top under the WM logo. There should be a manager name there, then the phone # and the location. On the next line down there is:
ST# XXXX OP# XXXXXXXX TE# XX TR# XXXXX

All I need from there is the first #, the ST#. From there I can get you the #'s of the ppl you need to talk to to resolve this local incident. And as I keep saying . . . . . Geez, relax a bit!:D

M1-H2
01-19-2003, 06:37 PM
Geez, Dar''Argol, I think you need to relax, please. You have quoted tidbits of things that I have said to mix it up. THE FACTUAL INFORMATION THAT I GAVE CAME DIRECTLY FROM THE CONVERSATIONS THAT I HAD WITH LOS ANGELES MANAGERS INCLUDING A REGIONAL MANAGER, BUT I CAN GIVE MY OPINION, TOO, CAN'T I? My opionion (that I stated in other posts) is that I believe, believe, believe that it is happening in other stores as well. I didn't say that it IS ACTUALLY happening in other stores, but that it COULD be happening in other stores as a heads up for other collectors. That is all. End of story. I hope you have a wonderful day. I understand why you are so upset, now (when you say, "we" when commenting on Walmart's behalf) - I didn't mean to offend you since you are a Walmart "employee." Also, I wouldn't want to include this thread in "Just Found (USA)" because I DIDN'T FIND anything. :D

Jaff
01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Wow, what a mind bogling debate. First of all to quite long dong: Here's some attention dude. Your tactful reply demands my respect, and gigles. M1-H2, I suggest you ditch your crapola wal-mart for other greener collecting pastures. If there is an issue there it will not be dealt with until other collectors aproach and voice their opinions to the stores mgmt team. Other than that don't trust announced released dates of product. Depending on the stock rotation of a store, the management style, and warehouse distribution some stores get items a month after release dates are announced on sir steves. Others get product early. Right now the Padme wave is ready to ship. Some stores can get it early (like this tuesday), or they will get it in 2 weeks, or five months from now. It depends on your store. If your wal-mart is full of old garbage and doesn't get much new stuff they will not get new stuff anytime soon until they clear out their backstock. Best of luck to you, and make sure you give attention to quite long dong in your next posting.

Teeska Mon Eebon
01-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmmm maybe that's why I haven't seen anything new save for the Cinema sets scince september.....

Banthaholic
01-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Well the Tie Bombers definitely made it to my Wal-mart shelves.
While doing some household shopping I ran into 6 of them.

Although funny enough they were stocked on the very top shelve. Not seeing a stockperson in site I had to nudge one off the top and catch it to get one down.

I already have the POTJ Bomber, but I've always been a fan of this ship since I was young, so it was worth it too me to pick up another.

There is no store that frustarates me more than Wal-mart, although I don't see anything wrong with their workings.

I've far acdepted the fact that it's a good store to pick up everything Star Wars but carded figures. They are ahead of the game in 12", action fleet, and were one of the first stores to get the gunship & arena in. Some Wal-mart sell figures better, mine does not.

I guess my point is, if your Wal-mart isn't throwing out any new mercandise, simple shop at another store. Although I'd wait a few weeks, patience is a key in this realm. Everything does show up eventually.
I remember in May I was bummed that I couldn't find a Mace Windu, they weren't anywhere to be found, and now that's all that I find.

stillakid
01-20-2003, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
Although I'd wait a few weeks, patience is a key in this realm. Everything does show up eventually.

Holiday Edition...San Fernando Valley area....4 different Walmarts...never showed up...and probably won't.

plasticfetish
01-20-2003, 03:27 AM
Yes, this would have been best in the L.A. collectors club section ... since that thing's a graveyard now anyway.

I suggest you ditch your crapola wal-mart for other greener collecting pastures.

OK. I've been to the "Cerritos" Wal-Mart. It was one of the first ones in our region of Los Angeles County (God, I'm starting to really hate L.A.) ... I was pretty happy to have it at the time though I don't go there very often anymore. Not because I feel the evil hand of toy scalping conspirators reaching for me every time I enter ... but, because there's 4 other Wal-Marts closer to me now. All of these stores are within a 10 mile area. I'm now ready to hear people all across the nation (that may have to drive an hour or more to find a Wal-Mart) scream at the fact that we have SOOO many options. You have options ... take 'em. jpak001 said earlier that the L.B. store is nice ... he's right! It's perfect and on the day it opened I bought 2 Ephant Mons from a wall with around 10. So, I don't fear the Wal-Mart employees ... I like them. They help me with my stupid questions about batteries and they look snappy in their blue vests. The old guy at the door is a pip ... and the place smells like french fries.

With that said ... I've seen a huge number of scalpers in that and other stores as of late. I've had them come up and ASK what I collect, I've had them follow me around the toy section waiting for me to set things down that I've picked up. Those guys are loons! Those guys read these boards and watch to see what we get worked up about. Those guys are a pain ... but, I find what I want when it shows up. It's the thrill of the hunt. All that and a bag of fries too.

and make sure you give attention to quite long dong in your next posting.

You mean the SSG member right? (ooooh!)

QLD
01-20-2003, 03:44 AM
All this attention, I LOVE it. Keep it up. No pun intented.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 08:50 AM
I just wanted to chime in here real quick.

1. I have noticed a trend in Wal-Mart (and other stores), to not stock Star Wars toys around Christmas. Last year I wasn't able to find anything from like Thanksgiving "Black Friday" til early-mid January. Then I spent like $100.00 in one shot at Wal-Mart to play catch-up. The year before that I went into a TRU again early-mid January and found a bin full of CommTech Stormtroopers on sale 2 for $3.00 (strangely enough I had been convinced employees were scalping those CT Stormies)!!! This year, the same thing, nothing since just after Thanksgiving "Black Friday" then I walk into a couple of Wal-Marts, Target's etc. and BAMB!! $100.00 (Trash sets, newer figs, etc.).

Does "in store" scalping go on? Yes.
Should it be reported? Yes.

Just because you can't find something, that does not mean that folks are taking it out the back/buying it before it hits the shelves. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but it's not like there is a conspiracy, some ring of SW scalpers running out of LA.

Sometimes it just takes a while for things to catch up. Not to mention the fact that most stores are downsizing their SW section. Which means that it will take a while to clear out older merchandise. Add to the fact that stockers will be less inclined to re-stock the smaller sections when the newest movie toy or hot item needs re-stocking. You end up with a formula for a real slow down.

All I am saying is that if you really have your suspicions do some investigating. If it smells fishy, report it. The head office will see trends and take action...eventually.:Pirate:

OC47150
01-21-2003, 09:07 AM
At one time, at the WM and TRU closest to me, several of the stock people ran successful booths at area flea markets, swap meets, etc... on the side or helped supply people who had booths at the flea market.

I haven't seen these guys in a long time, though.

Jaff
01-21-2003, 10:43 AM
If scalpers are the main issues and not the stores beat scalpers to the punch. After learning your store's stock patterns show up constantly to get to the shelves first. We all don't have the time to go every minute, but that is the advantage scalpers have. If it's a question of time find time. If your not sure when stocking occurs go have a heart to heart talk with a manager. They are interested in most of their customers. Whinning and complaining customers are ignored, because that is what they loathe to hear. Go in and say something like this: "Hey I come to your store all the time, and I really love it (they love that) but I was wondering if you can help me. There are these guys that come in your store and capitalize on all this product, that I can never get. I know you can't really stop them for buying this stuff but I was wondering if you can tell me when you reguarly stock these things so I can get a chance once in a while. The manager should be interested in helping you. If the manager is dfficult with you after such a conversation than you have a bad manager. There is nothing you can do about it. That's probably why the shelves are lined with old stuff, dirty toy section and/or scalper freindly. No retail manager should be troubled and or reprimanded for scalper activity. Their store is all about the bottom line. They need to sell product, who buys it is irrelevant. The only thing you can do in that situation is to case and learn the patterns of that store. When are the shelves full, what cases are out. When do they download the pallats. In most walmarts it is around 10 pm to 1 am. That's when you go hunt. In the end scalpers are fueled by neive, and impatient collectors. Don't ever buy from scalpers unless you have to, and when you do don't buy from locals go through one of the larger scalping buisiness like amok time, or yestertoys. When scalpers loose money buying figs they will cut back their expenditures. As for my choices where I live there is one wal mart, one toys r us, and one kay bee. I can still get my new stuff though because I know the stores patterns and what cases are what. That is the only key to beating scalpers.

M1-H2
01-24-2003, 03:45 PM
I have spoken to a Hasbro Consumer Affairs rep, and this is what she told me:

1) Release Dates - when Hasbro releases a figure, the stores should have them on their shelves AT LEAST by the end of the "release date" month, or by the following month (for example: the Cantina Sets were actually released in July, therefore they should have hit the shelves by the end of July or August)

2) BRIAN'S TOYS, KEBCO, AND AMOKTIME TOYS ARE THIRD PARTY SELLERS - HASBRO DOES NOT SELL DIRECTLY TO THEM

3) Hasbro does sell directly to Entertainment Earth and Yestertoys, but EE & Yestertoys DO NOT NECESSARILY RECEIVE the figures before big retailers such as TRU, and Walmart - SMALLER STORES DO NOT HAVE AN ADAVANTAGE OVER BIGGER RETAILERS

If you have any questions regarding any information that was posted, I suggest that you find out for yourself instead of just believing everything you hear. You aren't always going to know what someone's motive is (they could be posting information that benefits them and their business, which in turn is taking advantage of you), so find the information first-hand. :)

JangoFart
01-24-2003, 03:50 PM
I think the reason that nothing's on the shelves is because the stores are greatly reducing the number of space allocated to SW figures. All of the Wal-Marts 'round these parts now have MAYBE 2 slots for SW stuff. 'Tis sad b/c MOST of the stuff is the same crap that used to occupy 10 or more slots.

On-line retailers are the future of SW collecting for the years until the new movie.

J

plasticfetish
01-24-2003, 07:54 PM
If you have any questions regarding any information that was posted, I suggest that you find out for yourself instead of just believing everything you hear. You aren't always going to know what someone's motive is (they could be posting information that benefits them and their business, which in turn is taking advantage of you), so find the information first-hand.

You're not trying to say that just because an individual may have posted opinions contrary to your own in this thread, that they are only doing so because they might be in the business of selling toys?

-and-

You're not trying to say that a "Consumer Affairs rep." for whatever company is always going to give you beautifully accurate information are you?

Banthaholic
01-24-2003, 08:54 PM
This thread makes me laugh everytime seeing it.
I have a few theories on why the figures aren't making it to the shelf.
1. The ghost of Sam Walton is grabbing the figures for his personal collection
2. Mob involvement. The Wal-mart employees are supplying the 'newest' figures in exchange for 'protection'
3. That darn Wal-mart greeter is actually smiling because he knows he got all the toys before you did
4 UFO invasion?
5. Angry Star-trek fans hiding all the new Star Wars in the lingerie section

I was at Wal-mart today had 11 tie-bombers, and 2 of each screen scene, 12" wave 2 and 3, AF wave 1,2, all three cantina scenes, and the usually 10 Taun We's, Dexter's and Palpatine's

plasticfetish
01-24-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
Mob involvement

Hmmm ... that's interesting ... I've often wondered why the "stockboy" at my store wears a $2,000 suit and drives a Cadillac.

Beast
01-24-2003, 09:31 PM
I have spoken to a Hasbro Consumer Affairs rep, and this is what she told me:

1) Release Dates - when Hasbro releases a figure, the stores should have them on their shelves AT LEAST by the end of the "release date" month, or by the following month (for example: the Cantina Sets were actually released in July, therefore they should have hit the shelves by the end of July or August)
1) Hasbro's release dates are even off by months, they are just giving an "expected release date". This isn't like movies that have an actual release date and come out on that exact day. Toys show up when they show up. They have to be shipped from overseas, go to distrubution warehouses, and then finally shipped to the stores. If the stores are large merchandise retailers, they won't go directly to the stores. They will go to regional distrubution warehouses for those stores, then they are shipped to the individual stores.

2) BRIAN'S TOYS, KEBCO, AND AMOKTIME TOYS ARE THIRD PARTY SELLERS - HASBRO DOES NOT SELL DIRECTLY TO THEM
2) Brian's Toys and Amok Time, get their merchandise from Hasbro Japan, I believe. That's why they typically have things before the others. KebCo does deal directly with Hasbro U.S., from what I understand. So if they didn't know their name, you either said it wrong or they were just tired of you asking questions. :)

3) Hasbro does sell directly to Entertainment Earth and Yestertoys, but EE & Yestertoys DO NOT NECESSARILY RECEIVE the figures before big retailers such as TRU, and Walmart - SMALLER STORES DO NOT HAVE AN ADAVANTAGE OVER BIGGER RETAILERS
Actually they do, since they are smaller retailers. Because the merchandise goes directly to them. Not thru regional distrubution warehouses. That's also why KB usually gets stuff first, their Star Wars products come UPS. So yes, they do have an advantage over the bigger retailers. Because 9 times out of 10, they will get the stuff first. It's not due to them getting the stuff sent first, it's due to how the stores are set up. :)

If you have any questions regarding any information that was posted, I suggest that you find out for yourself instead of just believing everything you hear. You aren't always going to know what someone's motive is (they could be posting information that benefits them and their business, which in turn is taking advantage of you), so find the information first-hand. :)
I've already found out myself, I've dealt with Hasbro and people that order from them since 1995. I am giving you the straight dope on the info that I have. I don't sell toys, I don't care to scalp. I just want everyone to get the toys they want. So I'm giving them the info that I have. If you don't believe it, your loss. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plasticfetish
01-24-2003, 09:35 PM
the HASBRO files

Is that Chris Carter's new show on Fox this fall?

KEBco
01-25-2003, 01:03 AM
Not that it matters at all, but I thought I would chime in:

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
[B]1) Hasbro's release dates are even off by months
Everyone that buys from Hasbro gets a report that shows the expected delivery date. This date can be off (and most often it is) by months. There are many things that can effect the date, the port strike a while back is a good example. Hasbro would like you to believe they meet the delivery date, but they never do.

2) Brian's Toys and Amok Time, get their merchandise from Hasbro Japan.
They get product from Japan and the US. If from Japan, they pay for shipping and this is why the prices can be higher.

KEBco does deal directly with Hasbro U.S.
The next time we receive 300 cases or when I sign the $25,000 check to Hasbro, ask me if we buy direct. My sales rep may laugh at you.
We have been buying from Hasbro since November 2000. At first very small orders (small for Hasbro anyway), but now we are part of the top ten (non mass retailers).

Actually they do, since they are smaller retailers. Because the merchandise goes directly to them.
True and not true. Walmart and TRU may receive a small amount of their product directly from Asia. Thus they get it first. The rest comes by slow boat and this is why you see older waves in the stores.
Hasbro never ships to dealers by UPS. They always use freight carriers such as Roadway or FedEx Ground. If you want to pay the shipping, you can select whatever you want. All small dealers have complained, begged, whatever - to Hasbro - trying to get the product at the same time as the mass retailers. At best we get it shipped within the same week as Walmart. After all, if you were selling to me and Walmart, who would you want to keep happy???

Again - not that any of this matters
KEBco

bobafrett
01-25-2003, 01:12 AM
I'm going to have a beer, we are allowed to drink while reading these aren't we?

Dar' Argol
01-26-2003, 02:10 AM
Thank you KEBco for posting some cold hard facts! Although these will probably be contorted in some way, shape, or form to say that you are lying or something to that effect. :D

And I am not saying that internal theft doesn't happen and may be the reason for the "No Show Figs" at your store, but this is not happening at every store that has not gotten figs in the past 2 months. That was all that I was trying to explain, that there was no need to cause a boardwide panic that "Joe-Schmoe" user's WM is keeping his SW figs.

sith_killer_99
01-26-2003, 05:39 AM
Yeah, KEBco is correct. Brians buys direct from Hong Kong. They also have to buy in larger shipments to get direct from the mfg.

Minimum order from Hasbro is $2,500 per shipment (which is just 1 wave). But in order to buy direct from Hong Kong the minimum is $10,000 per shipment. Add to that the cost of overseas shipping and you get a hefty bill.

I don't care for Brian's because I am too cheap and patient, I just don't care if I'm the first kid on the block to have the new wave. However, I do not consider Brian to be a SCALPER either. IMHO, a scalper buys from a retailer like Wal-Mart, Target, KB, TRU etc. and then re-sells. Thus denying collectors and kids a chance to buy the toys at retail prices. Brian's buys direct from the mfg. and can charge whatever they want, that's capitalism. If we don't like the price we can wait 'til regular US distribution hits the market and buy at retail.

My brother-in-law used to buy direct from Hasbro, he gave me all the good inside info, from a small time dealers side. BTW, he ordered, but never recieved the last few waves of POTJ figures. Hasbro ended up crediting his account. They were also notorious for skipping waves or sending him the same stuff back to back. Which is why he got away from selling SW.:(

Now he concentrates mostly on the 12 inch stuff Blue Box, Dragon, etc.
;)

Jaff
01-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Being a dealer in Star Wars once I guess I have some information that may be of interest to this sight since everyone is talking about who gets stuff from hasbro. Since KEBco has dealt with hasbro he knows what a pain they are to deal with. Your orders must be a monthly minimum in the thousands and sometimes the product is randomly late. However sometimes you get the stuff before you expect it. After running Scene 70 in Nashville I decided to start ordering from some of my dealer friends who offered to sell me cases for 10% of their mark up from the factory. This way I did not need to make large orders for stuff I didn't want. So here is some dealers who dealt directly with hasbro. First of all Brian Semling (a.k.a. Brians Toys) When he has something you can bet it will be on the shelves within two to three weeks after he first gets it. The ones that do not appear in stores are the ones he got from Hasbro Japan. Then there was Tom (yestertoys 1-401-783-5995) who suplies many small dealers with factory direct cases. Tom is tops, and when you call to order if you ask him he will tell you when he is going to recieve stuff. Just don't call him with querries unless you plan on buying something because that would not be cool. Then there was Big K (Kenny's) toys 1-631-243-4566. Kenny and Lillian really supply allot of dealers and will sometimes sell to Brian or other big dealers. He pre-orders cases for many dealers and can get his hands on rare stuff too. He, like Tom does really good deals for case sales so if some of the people on this forum are really desperate that they will never see some SW stuff at Wal-Mart call one of these guys and order a case. Get a friend who will go in with you and if you get a good repoir going then they will take care of you. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a case from these folks rather than spend gas hunting. As for me I'm in nowhere Elmira, N.Y.. There is no one in this city that likes star wars. They love quality stuff like XXX, and Debbie Does Dumb movies. For me ordering a case will cost more since I only want one of each figure. However for you guys out there this may really help you. KEBco might also want your buisiness if he is in that kind of thing. Remember, Brian, Tom, Kenny, John Dicicco (John's toys), etc... were and are mostly still actively SW collectors. They love to help us out. I know Brian's is very expensive, almost unreasonable at times, but allot of his stuff he pays to get early and it costs bucks. I don't see them as scalpers because they don't take our supply, they offer us another avenue to get our stuff, just as I did once. I hope someone can use this posting and get their Ephant.

plasticfetish
01-26-2003, 08:34 PM
It "appears" that a sinister cloud of darkness has been lifted from the shelves of my local Wal-Mart (Long Beach, CA). As of a few moments ago ... there was a set of the trash compactor figures on the shelf. A sign of change? A symbol of good faith from our friends at Wal-Mart ... or perhaps an even more devilish reality? Could it be that these sets only made it to the floor because the hordes of toy scalping Wal-Mart employees just happen to ALSO be Raiders fans? Oh ... the fear has set in again!!! When will this chaos end? When will the toys make their way out to the cold metal shelves?

( more details at the just found L.A. thread. :) )

OC47150
01-27-2003, 08:37 AM
My vote is for the Mob involvement. Tony Soprano and SW, whatta combination!

M1-H2
01-31-2003, 01:21 AM
I'm sure that the Long Beach Walmart has a janitor who found the case of Trash Compactor Sets sitting next to the shipping gate before the Star Wars "stocker" managed to pull his pick-up truck around to the receiving door for his next Frank and Scalp delivery.

Dar' Argol
02-02-2003, 10:28 AM
I'm sure that the Long Beach Walmart has a janitor who found the case of Trash Compactor Sets sitting next to the shipping gate before the Star Wars "stocker" managed to pull his pick-up truck around to the receiving door for his next Frank and Scalp delivery.

Man, what is your major beef with WM??? You've definitly got some kind of grudge against that company. I mean, did you work there and get caught for stealing SW stuff?? Or were you a customer that got caught and now your really mad at them and trying to get everyone against them?? Of course I am not saying that you did do any of this, but you've definitly got something against WM. Your not bashing K-Mart, or Target for their employees "taking" stuff. Now you did mention Target employees selling Hot Wheels stuff in the parking lot, but you never mentioned stealing. Why the problem then with only Wal-Marts????

Inquiring minds want to know:D

M1-H2
02-02-2003, 02:20 PM
Wal-Mart is the Antichrist! Burn! Burn! :crazed: Lighten up, Dar'Argol! Maybe I should have inserted "LOL" or an emoticon at the end of my last comment, so that Wal-Mart representatives wouldn't take offense. Even though I'm sure these kinds of things happen at other SW retailers, I thought it was apropos to target them (no pun intended) because of my own personal experiences with Wal-Mart stores. :p :D :crazed:

Beast
02-02-2003, 02:32 PM
Dar' Argol, there is no sense even trying to reason with him. Obviously has some very personal problems with Wal-Mart. And I love how he ignored KebCo's info, because they disputed his "holy" facts. Just close the thread, it's become a pure whine-fest. Some people just are beyond help. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

M1-H2
02-02-2003, 07:39 PM
Boo-hoo! :cry: It's horrible, just horrible! :p The truth hurts so much! :D

Jaff
02-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Some people are just beyond your opinions Jar Jar. His reasonings are different than yours. Shutting down the thread is not an option. Rule of opinion is not an absolute where you are concerned.

Kidhuman
02-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Geez, if you have so many problems with Wm, then shop somewhere else. I haven't seen new figures since X-mas at my Wal-Mart but I am not complaining. They need to first get them DELIVERED from the warehouse first. Even before that place an order for them. If they are not selling then they won't order them. If someone is stealing and the manager knows he is just as guilty for stealing as the employee for not mentioning it to L.P. And if he happened to mention it to L.P. then he sure wouldn't say anything to a customer about it, unless he is just dumb. You could be a friend of the employee that is stealing, so why in the world would he tell you that?

OC47150
02-03-2003, 10:02 AM
I can prove this theory WRONG! I saw the Saga Eeth Koth and Teebo at my WM this weekend!