PDA

View Full Version : The Sabbath Day

Gungan Warrior
01-17-2003, 09:59 PM
What day is really the sabbath ( be careful now, think before you answer and have proof to back it up)?

Beast
01-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Any day that the band Black Sabbath is playing? ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-17-2003, 10:08 PM
I second Jar Jars motion to ROCK! :crazed:

Capitan_Moroni
01-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I think it varys from religion to religiong. The Church I belong to (the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) honor the Sabath on Sundays.

derek
01-17-2003, 10:26 PM
the way you worded it makes it seem like a trick question, so while the popular answer would be sunday, i'll say it's actually saturday.:crazed:

2-1B
01-17-2003, 10:29 PM
Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath !

Great album, one of my faves. Ever hear Bruce Dickinson's version on the first sabbath tribute album? Not bad !

EricRG
01-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Anthrax does a pretty damn good version of Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath as well. It's on that I'm the Man thingy.

Jargo
01-18-2003, 10:22 AM
Hello and welcome to the hokey religion public access channel. :D fourteen hours of solid holy rollin' chantin' preachin' 'n' convertin'. let me hear you say amen! now pay pray sinners. :D (donations gratefully accepted, all major credit cards taken):D

2-1B
01-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Where do I swipe my card ? :confused:

Fulit
01-18-2003, 01:47 PM
In Judaism I believe it's Saturday. I have no proof.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-18-2003, 02:17 PM
Why would you even ask this question anyway???:confused:

jobi
01-18-2003, 06:25 PM
In the dictionary it says "the day of the week kept by some religious groups for rest and worship (Sunday for most Christians, Saturday for Jews and Friday for Muslims) "

So I guess it matters which cult err....religion you were brainwashed by...uhm...I meant follow.

Rogue II
01-19-2003, 12:24 AM
If a Judas Priest were to preach on the Black Sabbath, do you think he'd talk about Breaking the Law or War Pigs?

2-1B
01-19-2003, 01:12 AM
neither.

He'd talk about Mercyful Fate's 'Come to the Sabbath' ;)

scruffziller
01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Really the Sabbath is any day that set aside to honor as such. It doesn't have to be any given day.

Gungan Warrior
01-19-2003, 09:12 PM
When GOD set aside the sabbath there weren't any jews. The sabbath isn't just for the jews. Come on think about it.

sith_killer_99
01-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Um, actually there was no calendar when God created the world.:confused: I have no proof, since I wasn't there.

God rested on the seventh day, he told the Jews to remember the Sabbath and to keep it Holy.

Therefore, the Sabbath is on the seventh day.

:crazed:

Gungan Warrior
01-20-2003, 12:46 AM
So would you agree Saturday is the seventh day. on which we shall worship?

2-1B
01-20-2003, 12:50 AM
With all due respect, what does it matter? Pick a day and go with it. Throw a dart at a calendar and make that your day.
Raised Catholic, I had the choice of going Saturday OR Sunday -
BEAT THAT ! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Why would an all powerful God need 7 of our days to create everything? It's all metaphor . . .

:crazed:

Beast
01-20-2003, 12:58 AM
Well, maybe he took 7 days because he didn't know what he was doing. Damn slacker. He's probably just like a plumber or roofer, delaying or slacking off on the the job just to make it seem like a bigger deal, and make more money. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
01-20-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Gungan Warrior

What do you mean on which we shall worship? This thread is getting odder by the post. I'm all for choosing your own religion, but why are you quizzing people about when the correct day for worship is? I'm sure it varies from belief to belief.

jobi
01-20-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Gungan Warrior

YOU can worship whenever you want. But please don't refer to me in this "WE" you speak of. I'll choose my own mindless mass of sheep to follow, thank you very much.

Gungan Warrior
01-20-2003, 12:19 PM
But didn't GOD set aside a specific day?

2-1B
01-20-2003, 12:22 PM
No.

Gungan Warrior
01-20-2003, 12:26 PM
I can you say that? Have you ever read Genesis? Ihave you ever read the TEN COMMANDMENTS?

2-1B
01-20-2003, 12:28 PM
Genesis would also have me bang my sister to populate the earth, so I take it with a grain of salt.

Actually, I take it with a giant salt block. ;)

QLD
01-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Mmmmm........salt block.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 01:18 PM
Yes, God rested on the seventh day and made it Holy. But, then it all comes back to that "point of view" thing again, dosen't it. I mean think about it.

1. Who says Sunday is the first day of the week? I mean God never divided out the calendar. The first people to honor the Sabbath were the Jewish people..

2. Technically, if you were born on a Wednesday, then your Sabbath would be on a Tuesday.

I honestly believe that what God was trying to get across was to mark one day is seven and honor him for his gift of creation.

Or as so many have eloquently put it, Genesis is a metaphore. How else could we simple humans wrap our minds around the workings of God. I think it would be arrogant to believe we could.

Jargo
01-20-2003, 02:38 PM
I read Genesis, the album cover had the lyrics. Cool stuff like "One o-clock and time for tea, dum de dum de dum." and "me - I'm just a lawnmower, you can tell by the way I walk" deeply profound writings that I live my life by. I mean the truth of the first quote really is just a metaphor for the utter strife and confusion we find ourselves in as humans, the human condition is one of confusion and absurdities that we must ponder in order to reach some level of self awareness and understanding. then the second is really good. Like saying who am I and what am I and where am I going and what will I be when I get there and will there be cake and ice cream? Really deep stuff dude.

God - is he that guy that brings christmas presents or is that the man who sells coke to starving ethiopians?

The world was made in seven days? Well how the heck did he do that then? Have you any idea how long it takes to lay a brick wall and all the time making sure it's level and having to wait for the mortar to settle before you can add the next course of bricks. That takes days and your saying this one guy built the whole world in just seven days and didn't cheat with sub contractors? I find that hard to believe. It'd take years to just make an atol nevermind a whole island and when you get up to terraforming whole continebts then you're talking hundreds of years to really get the things established and looking half decent and not like some rank amateur just threw down a load of hardcore and turfed over the top. I think this God guy has an over inflated sense of his own achievements to be honest. Like the fisherman who caught one that was <----------------------------this big----------------------------->
Who is God's publicist these days by the way. I would have though at this point looking at the autumn years of his career that an autobiographical journal might be in the works. That'd make an interesting read.

"Tuesday, woke up, smited heathen scum, had breakfast, regular morning jog and yoga, built South Africa, had a bit of fun with deserts and dunes but broke the top off the bloody mountain again, must remember to glue it back on.... Mrs. God nagged me about painting the hallway ceiling instead of messing around in the shed, Mrs. God is always nagging nagging nagging. Must remember to tell the little people that women are not the boss of men, In fact I think I'll make it the eleventh commandment. Smashing idea!"

Extract: God - in his own words. 2003 pub. Farraday & Breakwind

The Overlord Returns
01-20-2003, 03:00 PM
So, when God rested on the seventh day.....was he watching the NFL? Or PGA Golf?

Was he eating potato chips? Ruffled or plain?

Was he dipping the chips? French Onion.....or Ranch?

Was he on a la z boy? Or a sofa????

Coca Cola? Or Bottle of Beer?

EricRG
01-20-2003, 07:39 PM
And when did he take a crap, the 8th?