PDA

View Full Version : Who Would Have Liked: VII, VIII, IX?

Jek Porky 2002
01-18-2003, 01:37 PM
Who would have liked to have seen a sequal trilogy if Lucas hadn't said he wasn't going to make them?

I would have loved to have seen them, but I know there is alot of bad feeling over the prequals so many people would hate to see them.

Or is it just that 9 Star Wars might be too many, and especially if he was going to carry on with that rhyming crap!

Who would like to see them then?

2-1B
01-18-2003, 01:43 PM
Six is enough !

Pendo
01-18-2003, 01:50 PM
I don't think 7-9 should be made. I think the ending of Return of the Jedi is brilliant, and the best ending possible for the saga. By making more movies, it will destroy the Episode VI ending and a new ending would have to be made :(. I can't see how more episodes could be added, because balance has been brought to the Force and IMO that means the Sith are extinct. I wouldn't like to see any of that Yuuzhan Vong crap, so who would be the bad guys?

I think Episodes I - VI will be a perfect story and more episodes would be unnecessary!

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-18-2003, 02:02 PM
I think at one point everybody would have wanted to see episodes 7-9 done. However, with the Prequels getting very split reviews, i would be worried about how they would be done. I liked TPM, loved AOTC and i have no reservations about how much Episode III is going to rock. Jedi was an appropriate ending for the Saga, so no more, por favor! :D

Jek Porky 2002
01-18-2003, 02:02 PM
Fair point!

LTBasker
01-18-2003, 03:01 PM
Six is enough, heck five is enough for me. After TPM and AOTC I'd rather him not try to make something that would be directly connected to the OT, it just wouldn't have nearly the same feel. It's bad enough theres alot of things baout the prequels that are screwed up, but at least they're not trying to be the OT, which would probably happen for 7-9.

If Lucas would like to see 7-9 made, then he should get Steven Speilberg or someone else for the directing. Heck, Steve's said he'd even like to do some Star Wars work.

El Chuxter
01-18-2003, 03:31 PM
At this point, bad idea. Very bad idea. Besides, I was under the assumption that the original 3 spinoff novels by Timothy Zahn (that started the "new wave" of SW fandom) were intended to replace Episodes VII-IX. So, if you think that's a good idea, you can think of the saga as this:

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Episode III: ???
Episode IV: A New Hope
Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
Episode VII: Heir to the Empire
Episode VIII: Dark Force Rising
Episode IX: The Last Command

And everything else is Expanded Universe. :)

QLD
01-18-2003, 03:51 PM
I used to want the next 3 movies, but now.....I'll pass.

Now if they based them off of the Zahn novels, or the New Jedi Order series (both of which are excellent, and miles superior to the prequels), I would LOVE it. Even if it was animated, which I would actually prefer.

kadamontaga
01-18-2003, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't mind some sort of animated version, but other than that I agree with what Pendo said.

PoggleTheGreater
01-18-2003, 06:08 PM
The Star Wars Saga begins at episode I and ENDS at episode VI. Any sequel wouldn't be a continuation of the story, but an attachment to the story (like The Godfather Part III). I wouldn't mind seeing spinoff (not necessarily EU) movies involving the same or new characters in new adventures. They wouldn't be an episode number because they wouldn't be in the same series. (By the way, Coppala wanted to call GF3 something like The Death of Michael Corleone, not The Godfather Part III.)

Jargo
01-18-2003, 06:59 PM
People areassuming that the sequels would be post ROTJ when they could be the middle 20 years between the two trilogies we'll have come 2005. The inbetweeny bit needn't have a continuation to it but a side story that tied in to events we've seen already. We don't need to see The Luke and Leia story of them growing up, we don't need to see young han Solo or Chewbacca. But some idea of how the rebellion got going and some idea of the way the imperials stamped all over the galaxy could be the direction to go in. I personally would like to know why Bail Organa annoyed the Emperor so badly and what the run in that Vader had had with Leia prior to ANH. There is a deep vein to be mined between the existing trilogies so you can still leave the ending of ROTJ as the definitive ending. And if another director took the helm it's likely to be Peter Jackson not Spielberg. Lucas and Spielberg are mates but I get the inpression that Lucas doesn't like the way Spielberg directs. He might like the finished product but from interviews and such, Spielbergs style doesn't seem to jive with george. But his new mate Peyter Jackson is young enough and enthusiastic enough to pull off some decent star wars movies. Not that it'll happen unless Lucas' future as an arthouse moviemaker is doomed to abject failure, then he might need to find finance for his projects and the old star wars cash cow migh moo once more...

stillakid
01-18-2003, 09:25 PM
Had he done this first trilogy the way that he implied he would so long ago, then he would be getting better feedback on the Prequels. If that had happened, fans around the world would have thrown down the welcome mat for another three. Heck, they might have even gone far enough as to ask for another Christmas Special....

...Okay, maybe not that far, but...

It does little good to dwell on what isn't possible. No, a third trilogy out of George would be a bad idea.

However, Jargo's concept is interesting.

Though I wholeheartedly disagree with Peter Jackson being a suitable choice as a director (people are being blinded with LOTR fandom and ignoring his actual miniscule contribution to a Tolkien story) (dodging tomatoes, s.a.k. continues...)

But doing a kind of EU series, maybe in the vein of what was done with Young Indiana Jones, is really fascinating. And instead of trying to outdo each film with the next big epic, a smaller more intimate budget and storyline would provide the environment where an actual story could be told within the framework of the galactic struggle without the distraction of trying to live up to the original trilogy.

My own personal opinion is that while the story from the original trilogy was well written and interesting in it's own right, a large part of what drew people in was the environment that it all took place in. From planets, to the spaceships, to the costumes...they all created a universe that was strangely familiar yet alien enough that it was incredibly addictive to watch. Almost any story happening in the environment can be interesting for a time.

The danger is in becoming too cheesy, like Galactica '80 was (for those who remember), but George's claim has always been that he's created this new technology so that it wouldn't cost as much to make projects that still look like they had major feature budgets. The trick, though, as with any quality entertainment, is in the writing. I believe that with good writers at his side (like in the old days), George could Executive Produce a solid block of well-received Star Wars entertainment for television in the years to come.

Ultimately, I'm sure that future Star Wars stories will not end up on movie screens and I don't think I'd like to see that happen anyhow. But I personally would love to see a Young Indiana Jones type Star Wars serial made for tv sometime after the feature hype has died down.

Well, just as long as we aren't subjected to an hour of Wookie-speak. ;)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-19-2003, 10:51 AM
I used to want 7-9, but then I thought I'd have to wait like 9 more years for the next movies. So I too say 6 is enough.:cool:

sith_killer_99
01-19-2003, 11:27 AM
I'm with El Chuxter on this one. I have always considered the Zahn Trilogy to be parts 7-9.

Here's an interesting scenario, what if GL had done the Original Star Wars like Spielberg's "Taken".

20 hours long and spanning 3 generations?!?!

Start off with Shmi Skywalker becoming a slave and having Anakin. Anakin wins his freedom to become a jedi knight. He falls in love, goes off to fight in the Clone Wars. The babies are born and Anakin falls to the dark side....

It would have to have be done, so as to keep certain facts from the viewer. Just show Padme' as pregnant, but don't show the actual birth, hint at Anakin being killed in the War, etc.

Just something to think about.:crazed:

Jargo
01-19-2003, 01:31 PM
Stillakid expanded upon what I was implying, the galaxy of star wars is interesting enough to provide countless hours of exploration within the very framework of the saga but outside of it. Episodic in the vein of the 'tales from...' books, an anthology of character expansion. Just what was the academy that Luke was so keen to enrol in? What was the draw of toshe station? What else went on in Mos Eisley besides the cantina and docking bay 94? The Imperial investigation on Dantooine was routine or was there a skirmish with rebels there that the Imperials thought too insignificant to report back to Tarkin and vader? What happened to Garindan after he snitched on Ben and Luke to the sandtroopers? What was Lobots fate? All these little threads of character and environment that are shown but not explored could make up a more diverse and much richer series than the few battles we've been shown so far. George chose to follow the greater story arc and skim the surface but left so much untouched it's ripe for excavation and interpretation. Legitimate production on a smaller scale than feature length movies but with the same backing of production teams and resources would ensure a reasonable quality product. Maybe peter jackson isn't a good director i don't know as I haven't watched the LOTR movies. All i know is that he and george are new best friends. If george were to give the go ahead to shorts with a star wars theme he would probably use it to further young directors careers. He wants to bolster the film industry, he has a college grad film maker attitude to stuff he really wants to do. so he's more likely to let fresh talent have a crack than to fall back on older established directors like Spielberg. A fresh faced young director just out of film school with only a couple of shorts under their belt so to speak would greatly benefit from being under georges wing. What better product for a young director to cut his teeth on than star wars. The style is established, the design process is established. All you'd need is a good writing team and backing from a network. With so many actors itching to get a role in star wars there would be no problem casting for it.
maybe I'm just blathering on. I can see it making sense but then since when did my opinion count for anything.

scruffziller
01-19-2003, 03:23 PM
Lucas has wanted to do something with the original cast though..........

stillakid
01-19-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
but then since when did my opinion count for anything.

You and me both. ;) (where is that damn lottery ticket from last night anyway....)

Jerjerrod
01-19-2003, 08:52 PM
Six is perfect. Nine will just be too much. Lucas might as well flush his cash down the toilet if he decides to make 7-9. There is nothing left to tell. If we want to find out what happens after VI, we can read the novels. Lucas might even ruin the first six by making the next three.

stillakid
01-19-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
Lucas might even ruin the first six by making the next three.

Just like he...

...naw, it's too easy. ;)

QLD
01-19-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by stillakid
Just like he...

...naw, it's too easy. ;)

Yeah, exactly like he.......awww, you're right. It IS too easy. :crazed:

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Here's a thread similar to this topic from back in the day: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1678

Since the old forums are gone, I can't link to the thread where I first came up with this, but I would have liked eps 7,8, and 9 if they were a "Leia trilogy". Here's what I had in mind:

To me, the prequels are the "Anakin" trilogy, the classic trilogy is the "Luke" trilogy, so I'd like to see one about Leia. If Lucas had started this back in '97, he could have still used the same actors, but I think it'd be pushing it to start here. My idea was that Leia could be an important New Republic ambassador and her Force powers begin really growing, but since Luke has become very reclusive with his Jedi trainees, Luke has cut himself off from Leia and Han, and Leia begins growing powerful with the dark side. Thus, Han would have to make the effort to seek Luke out, and they'd have to work together to save Leia from destroying herself, the new republic, and the galaxy WITHOUT killing her. I picture Leia first showing her dark tendencies during an ambassadorial mission which turns out to be an ambush, and Leia simply cuts the enemy forces down with her dark powers (and a handy purple lightsaber ;)).

Darth Sinister
01-21-2003, 11:55 AM
I like that idea JT. I personally think that the ending of the saga as it is sucks. The mighty empire that has been so methodically created in the prequels and shown to be so evil in the OT....was brought down by a bunch of big fuzzy rats....that knocked out stormtroopers by hitting them in their HELMETS with ROCKS. Another chapter in the Skywalker family would be ok by me.

scruffziller
01-26-2003, 07:02 AM
The thing is that alot of people would be happy to see some movies with the "original" cast. It instills a familiarity for the OT that the prequels didn't give. That is what people are so upset over in the prequels.

stillakid
01-26-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Here's a thread similar to this topic from back in the day: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1678

Since the old forums are gone, I can't link to the thread where I first came up with this, but I would have liked eps 7,8, and 9 if they were a "Leia trilogy". Here's what I had in mind:

To me, the prequels are the "Anakin" trilogy, the classic trilogy is the "Luke" trilogy, so I'd like to see one about Leia. If Lucas had started this back in '97, he could have still used the same actors, but I think it'd be pushing it to start here. My idea was that Leia could be an important New Republic ambassador and her Force powers begin really growing, but since Luke has become very reclusive with his Jedi trainees, Luke has cut himself off from Leia and Han, and Leia begins growing powerful with the dark side. Thus, Han would have to make the effort to seek Luke out, and they'd have to work together to save Leia from destroying herself, the new republic, and the galaxy WITHOUT killing her. I picture Leia first showing her dark tendencies during an ambassadorial mission which turns out to be an ambush, and Leia simply cuts the enemy forces down with her dark powers (and a handy purple lightsaber ;)).

A friend of mine came up with an interesting idea for Trilogy 3. It revolves around and is completely dependant upon just how literally you take the following statement:

Once you start down the Dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

A convincing case can in fact be made that Luke himself did start down the darkpath. Simply tossing away the lightsaber and offering himself up as a martyr didn't bring him back because it wasn't possible. Furthermore, while Leia was always entirely more interested in the greater ideals of what she was doing, Luke never did anything unless it had some personal advantage for him. It wasn't about the big picture for him. There are plenty of examples throughout the OT to back up all those claims, but I won't go into them now.

What this could potentially lead to is a third trilogy in which Luke believes that he's on the side of right (just like his father did), but Leia recognizes what's going on and must try to stop him from repeating the sins of the father. As the only true path to peace is to really live by example, Leia goes the way of Gandhi and dies at the hands of her brother. Too late for her, yet just in time for those greater ideals that she always fought for, Luke realizes what he's become and the true victory is won for the Republic and the galaxy.

For me, this scenario seems far more likely and plausible than having to contrive some reason for Leia (who has always fought for the greater ideals) to become corrupt. It isn't part of her character to even entertain those ideas to any logical conclusion.

plasticfetish
01-26-2003, 08:52 PM
I would love to see 9!
(Rather 9 Star Wars movies than 9 Leprechaun movies.)

And I really like this idea of a Leia trilogy. There's so much that could be done with that ... and it could so easily involve OT cast members.

Originally posted by stillakid
Leia goes the way of Gandhi and dies at the hands of her brother. Too late for her, yet just in time for those greater ideals that she always fought for, Luke realizes what he's become and the true victory is won for the Republic and the galaxy.
I'm thinking it would be more in keeping with the OT if in the end Leia battles Luke and wins. Luke sees that he's evil in the end and sacrifices himself to his sister's saber. It'd be some nice symbolism. I'm not sure how Leia dying would sway Luke if he's gone that far over to the dark side. But, perhaps there could be a moment ... a visit from the spirit of their father ... that causes Luke to relent at the end of the battle.

Pendo
01-27-2003, 02:29 AM
I don't like the idea of one of the OT characters turning towards the dark side. I think it could possibly destroy the good that we see in those characters during the OT. I don't even think the story should be about them. I think they should be in it, but IMO the episodes should be about Anakin, Jacen and Jaina.

PENDO!

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 06:39 PM
I feel that the good in those characters is part of what leads them down the dark path. Luke's desire to destroy the empire and save his father is part of what causes him to lose control and slip towards the dark side (though I think he ultimately is able to use both sides to his advantage and come out of the movie on the light side... that doesn't mean it won't dominate his destiny, but that could simply mean he struggles between the 2 sides the rest of his life not that he becomes a Sith). For Leia, I think finding out that the enemy you've been fighting against most of your adult life is your real father would be a catalyst for frustration, confusion, and a need to rid the galaxy of bad things which would be what causes her to go down the dark path.

In any event, in my mind I cannot see Leia being the one who dies at the end of the story, Luke maybe but I'd prefer not that as well. Maybe Han, Harrison Ford wanted it that way anyhow. :D

stillakid
01-29-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by plasticfetish
I'm thinking it would be more in keeping with the OT if in the end Leia battles Luke and wins. Luke sees that he's evil in the end and sacrifices himself to his sister's saber. It'd be some nice symbolism. I'm not sure how Leia dying would sway Luke if he's gone that far over to the dark side. But, perhaps there could be a moment ... a visit from the spirit of their father ... that causes Luke to relent at the end of the battle.

In order to buy into my friend's version of this, admittedly you have to think with a rather "liberal" pacifist mind. A TRUE pacifist and pure soul would NEVER pick up a weapon in self-defense.

We saw Luke attempt that at the very end of ROTJ. That was EXACTLY the idea behind him tossing away the lightsaber. Of course, I doubt that he knew for sure if Vader/Anakin would save him, even as he cried out for help, but it clearly was on his mind.

The idea is that through martyrdom, the example of the person's death would resonate with others who witnessed it. This actually isn't too far off the game that George has been playing as it mirrors what Jesus might do.

See, if Leia were to fight Luke and "win" that battle in a violent manner, she wouldn't really "win" at all. Luke would die and she would merely be doomed to continue that cycle until someone else died by example. If you really wanted to write this like George might, Luke would witness his own "assistant" dueling Leia. As her death appears imminent, Luke could "see the light" as it were and rescue her. Or she could actually die, then Luke "sees the light" and realizes what he's become. At that point he could then dispatch his assistant and then take his own life. Something like that. I can't see anything else making much sense. (But then again, after watching EP 1 and 2, apparently that isn't a prerequisite. :rolleyes: )

But, yeah, outside of making a third trilogy about entirely different characters, it wouldn't make much sense to have Leia be the "bad guy." It might look like it at first, as we've left Episode VI believing Luke to be the hero, but it wouldn't take much effort to recall that Leia has always fought for the greater good, even if it means an end to her own life.

Addendum:

There is another part to this that I didn't include that also goes a loooonnng way in explaining why some Jedi vanish and others don't upon death. Those that we have seen disappear have done so when dying at peace. Those that remain as bodies to be cremated died while still fighting. (The one stickler to this theory is that we didn't actually see Anakin fade out. We see the uniform burn and it's unlikely yet possible that he wasn't in there).

But anyway, Leia's "martyrdom" or near martyrdom causes a realization that the only true way to "balance the Force" is not through violence, but through true harmony with "all living things." The New Jedi turn from being an armed police force to something of ethereal beings. The ones that are alive teach through example and REALLY are involved with negotiating (not with a lightsaber). The ones that die continue on as spirits, much like Obi Wan, and pop in from time to time to aid the living. It would truly be a reformed Republic and a whole new kind of galaxy.

mrmiller
01-29-2003, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't mind 3 more- but not with the main characters from 4-6. I'd even like to see EU or Spin offs. I'm all for more Star Wars, and could really care less what the perception by others would be. You cold do EU stories that paralell the OT or take place between episdoes (I'd even like a Shadows of the Empire movie). Mybe some day we will get more. It's hard to imagine that again in 2 years there will be no new Star Wars to look forward to.

=MATT=