PDA

View Full Version : 12" Gamorrean Guard Revealed!!

Beast
01-18-2003, 04:24 PM
The Private Universe seems to be the first with pictures of the upcoming KB Toys exlcusive Gamorrean Guard. Looks pretty kickarse. I guess my decision to not buy anymore 12" figures just went out the window. I have to have this one. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jpak001
01-18-2003, 04:31 PM
Nice! That'll be one of the few I buy as well. Hope the real thing looks as good as this picture!

derek
01-18-2003, 04:56 PM
i need to see an actual photo of the costumed actor, but the head looks to big, or the torso seems too short. otherwise, it looks good.

Beast
01-18-2003, 06:44 PM
I dunno, the head on the actual movie costume is pretty big also. Here's a good picture from StarWars.Com, that shows this. One of the best 12" figures in sometime, in my opinion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Ook
01-18-2003, 06:47 PM
KB exclusive? Damn. That'll be sure to be nice and reasonably priced. :rolleyes: Oh, well - can't wait! When's he due?

Beast
01-18-2003, 06:54 PM
I dunno, KB wasn't to bad on the price for the 12" Luke, Han, Leia 3-pack from a few years ago. Or on the price for the red and Yellow CloneTroopers. As for when it's set to be released, I can't seem to find any info on that. Just later this year. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
01-18-2003, 08:01 PM
I can't wait to pick a couple up.These look really great,nicely detailed.I wonder how heavy they will be?(it does look like a lot of plastic:D)

derek
01-18-2003, 08:55 PM
dang jar jar, you're right. if this prototype looks like the final product, this will be the most accurate 12 inch figure ever made by hasbro.

let's keep our fingers crossed that the skiff lando looks this good!:eek:

mini-rock
01-18-2003, 09:48 PM
YYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!

I thought this was supposed to out next month though?

gtrain29
01-18-2003, 11:50 PM
THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!! Remember, mini-rock, that the 12"ers are always released at least 2-3 months after the "release date" posted by hasbro. :D

mini-rock
01-19-2003, 12:41 AM
Yeah LOL!! Guess I'll hit ebay.:D

Exhaust Port
01-19-2003, 08:04 AM
Awesome. I'm glad to see this figure is finally going to happen! Rock on!

bobafrett
01-19-2003, 09:28 AM
That does look good, I'll have to clear up some more space on my credit card! I'll also have to get more shelves, because my current space is so full of 12" fiugures. This one looks Phat!

Exhaust Port
01-19-2003, 03:17 PM
and Fat! ;)

JediTricks
01-19-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by derek
i need to see an actual photo of the costumed actor, but the head looks to big, or the torso seems too short. otherwise, it looks good. I think the head and arms look out of scale with the body and legs. Still, I'll probably buy this where I passed on all the prequel-based 12" KB exclusives.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I dunno, KB wasn't to bad on the price for the 12" Luke, Han, Leia 3-pack from a few years ago. Oh yeah, that set was a real bargain at $90 plus tax. :rolleyes: $30 a piece for 2 shoddy rehashes and 1 good new figure was not my idea of "not too bad on the price".

Beast
01-19-2003, 08:30 PM
Look at the costume picture again, JT. They do have large arms and heads. Comparing the figure and the actual costume picture, show that they pretty much got them right on the money. I guess it depends how anally picky you are. ;) :D

Arn't all the figures rehashes, since almost all of them use the same body. :rolleyes: Luke may have been a "cheap rehash", but he did include his poncho. Somthing that you would have had to pay for, if you wanted a 12" Luke w/ Poncho. The head is also the best on that Luke.

I also don't recall Bespin Han being made before that point, so your point is where? Han's head on that figure is also one of the best ones. Compared to the original 12" Han, it's alot more accurate to Harrison Ford.

And Leia: Boushh was worth the cost of the set. Especially since you couldn't buy her any other way. And when they finally did release her again, it was an an exclusive thru TRU. And it's more then the regular 12" figure prices. So all in all, the set is worth the cost. Atleast in my opinion. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-19-2003, 08:47 PM
The Gamorrean looks pretty good - not perfect - but good enough that I'll buy 2, both to open!

I'm excited for this one!

I expect it would cost $30.00 but would possibly fork out $40.00, though it'll make me angry about my plan to buy 2.

If the figure comes out at $19.99 or $22.99 like the Clone Troopers, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

KB's past exclusives have had a wide range:

Han / Luke Stormtrooper 2-pack - don't remember the price. I think it was $50. A fair deal at that price - nice packaging!

The Han Bespin, Luke Poncho, Leia Boussh set for $100.00. I bought it and I am glad to this day that I have the original Leia Boussh figure as apposed to the Barbie Bounty Hunter figure they are releasing as TRU's exclusive this year. JarJarBinks is right, that was the first release of Han Bespin, or that Han Solo head sculpt. It was and still is pathetic. I about cried when they recycled that head for Target's exclusive Carbonite Han. My memory tells me that it came second.

Electronic Boba Fett 12" - $40 was a bit high for 1 figure. It more than made up for it when I got one later for $10.00 :D

TC-14 at $40.00???? I decided not to get her because of the price, but kept watching for discounts and gift certificates for KB online. Finally I got her for $20.00 and that was alright by me.

The Clone Captain and Clone Commander both at $22.00 each were simple and practical army builders, and at a great price for a 12" Exclusive. KB has since this past year been doing business in a manner that I find to be the best . They have great quality customer service, good if not equally comparable prices, and they've gotten a lot of things in stock on time, or even first. There stores are finally clean and well organized. I found ALL my Ephont Mon figures (2 and a third for a friend) at KB toys - all the Playskool stuff - and the Lott Dodd wave when it first hit, etc. etc. I remember they got the Han/Chewie/ Pilot Obi-Wan wave first, too.

I have hopes for KB Toys. They seem to have gone through some restructuring and are doing better business nowadays.

mini-rock
01-19-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think the head and arms look out of scale with the body and legs. Still, I'll probably buy this where I passed on all the prequel-based 12" KB exclusives.

Wow! What a shock. Another cheap shot at the prequels :rolleyes:.

I will agree with you though that the KB 3 pack was by no means a "bargain" but still worth the price IMO. For me you can't put a price on something you love to do.

The Gamorrean Guard even if it's slightly outta scale it's not enough to bother me. It looks good to me.

I'm also curious how much that bad boy weighs.:D

Jedi Master Silas
01-20-2003, 05:07 PM
I cant wait to see them when they hit the shelves......it might be my all time favorite.

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 10:06 PM
JJB, I still think the arms and head look out of scale with the legs and body.

As for "cheap rehashes", I'm not talking about the bodies (though that would be a true statement the way Hasbro deals with the issue). I was talking about the retread of a Tatooine Luke (ooh, with poncho, can we say "Malibu Stacy with new hat"? And I think we as a group can agree the best Luke head in this scale at that, or any other time to the current, is Jedi Luke) and more specifically that turkey of a Han Solo figure whose difference from the then-recent 12" Han Carbonite was the addition of the jacket and the lack of a carbonite block... and that Han head still looks constipated and squished down to me.

Tycho, I have a feeling we'll be seeing this one at $35 or $40. It is probably going to be heavier and in a bigger box than a standard 12" and since it's a new-sculpt exclusive, that'll probably tack on a little more. And I think you're right, Han/Luke Stormtroopers was originally $50.

I believe you are wrong about that being the first release of that Han head though, the 3pack came just after the disasterous Target exclusive Han carbonite with the same head and outfit sans jacket.

KB Toys was owned for a while by Big Lots I believe, and recently bought their way out of that situation.

Mini-rock, it had nothing to do with prequel-bashing, it was a statement of fact. I was initially going to say "...where I passed on all the previous 12" KB exclusives" until I remembered that though I missed out on both runs of the Han/Luke Stormtroopers, I did indeed buy Electronic Boba and the 12" 3pack at KB. Therefore, it was easier to say that I haven't bought any of their prequel-based 12" figures (if TC-14 had no electronics, I would have bought that when it hit $15 at the local stores as well, but I don't like the electronic C-3PO body in either use).

derek
01-20-2003, 10:22 PM
i think there is a good chance this will retail for $20-$25. it looks to use about as much plastic as boss nass, which sold for $20.

that boss nass wave was wierd. here we have this huge piece of plastic in boss nass, and the other two figures in that wave, anakin and sebulba, together don't equal the amount of plastic used to make boss nass, but they all sold for $20. :confused:

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 10:51 PM
I guess Hasbro was balancing things out over the whole case rather than item by item. I often regret not getting 12" Nass, I never found him in a store and refused to buy him aftermarket. I found lots of Sebulbas, but something always kept me from buying him - I think it was subconciously the feeling that I had been burned on 12" Watto from an earlier wave and didn't want to risk it again. I might have bought that pilot Ani fig too if I had ever seen it at retail.

If this Gamorrean figure comes in under $25, I'll try to get both of my local KBs to reserve me one from each store. Above that and I'll just take my chances at retail.

I'm a little surprised this figure didn't end up in a 2pack with Bib Fortuna.

Tycho
01-20-2003, 10:58 PM
I hear what you're saying JT, - and not that you want this, but I just wanted to say that it'd be hard for me to stomach seeing Bib Fortuna being re-released with another 2-pack. I want the option of getting a lot of figures from Jabba's Palace for my 12" collection, but not having to get resculpts:

Gamorrean of course.

12" scale Jabba, no doubt.

Oola

Weequay

Nikto packaged as "Klaatu" on Kenner figures

Barada

Nikto (sailbarge gunner)

The still rumored - never confirmed with pictures - Max Rebo Band

Lando - at long last coming finally!

Tessek

Ree-Yees

and I know I'm dreaming, but Ephant, Amanaman, J'Quille.

J'Quille might be possible, but I fear another figure like the original Chewbacca 12" for the modern line....

Banthaholic
01-20-2003, 11:30 PM
I like, I like alot. The Gammorean is a def. must have!

plasticfetish
01-21-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
TC-14 at $40.00???? I decided not to get her because of the price, but ...

I like that you use the word "her". :)

This Guard figure looks great!
It comes with a big bloody axe? Is that what I see in the photo?
oooh!

bobafett07728
01-21-2003, 11:15 AM
This figure looks great!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this one. I would imagine it being anywhere from $22.99 - $32.99. I think $39.99 would be the max they can charge fo this. I'm actually kinda happy that it is a KB exclusive, and not WalMart or Target. Sure the price may be a few bucks more than they would have, but at least I'll get it. I always get the KB exclusives, but never find the Walmart ones. But that is a gripe for another thread. . . this thread is about the absolute quality that this figure is!!!!!! It looks amazing!!!

BTW. . . I did feel the 3-pack was a bit much, but the figures were worth it. I do remember it showing up on clearance afterwards too though. I believe all of the KB exclusives found the markdown gun, with the exception of the Stormtrooper Han & Luke, and the new Clonetroopers. I can still remember getting the Han & Luke. . . nice piece. . . I loved the packaging on the first run of 12" 'Collector Series'. . . that picture box, with book style flap ruled!!!!!!!!!

Old Fossil
01-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Looks good, though the picture's a bit fuzzy. Will have to wait til I see this big pig in person to decide on whether or not to buy it. I've but recently returned to collecting 12" figures, thanks to Zuckuss and Payback.:D

jedibear
01-22-2003, 11:00 PM
I agree....if this picture is a good indication of how this figure is going to look, it may push Bossk out of his #1 slot on my list of best 12" figure.
I'll admit Hasbro is hit n' miss with this line, but I've liked most figures of late. The Zuckuss is really cool & the Dengar was a pleasant surprise. Of the AOTC figures, I still catch myself looking at Obi-Wan on my shelf (especially after adding the cloak from the EpOne version).
The Gamorrean Guard has been on my "want" list for a long time, so I'm really thrilled it is seeing the light of day....

Ook
01-23-2003, 02:50 AM
YakFace is listing him at about $19.99. :)

http://collectibles.echostation.com/toyguide/12inch/ROTJ/Gamorrean_Guard/index.htm

Tycho
01-23-2003, 04:13 AM
That'd be nice, but I'm not going to count on that price.

However, they must know they can sell their numbers worth of this exclusive, because if the final product is nice in person, more than a few of us may buy 2 or more of the Gamorrean.

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 04:43 AM
I hear what you're saying JT, - and not that you want this, but I just wanted to say that it'd be hard for me to stomach seeing Bib Fortuna being re-released with another 2-pack. Would you prefer Bib Fortuna never being re-released instead? Bib is a popular, well-done 12" that got put into a miserably-expensive FAO exclusive; people have been clamoring for his rerelease for what, 5 years now? This way, Hasbro could have gotten it out again in a popular set through a different chain without taking as much risk in case it sold poorly as a single-boxed due to being a rehash (which it wouldn't, but you know how Hasbro seems to think).

Tycho
01-23-2003, 05:00 AM
I already have Bib Fortuna, so it's not that I don't care that others don't - it's that I had no idea how hard he was to get. I seem to recall there being a lot of them available at FAO - though sure, the price sucked. But I paid it.

I think he's as good of figure as you do, so that's why I think he'd sell just fine separately, for $19.99 like the rest of them. If as few of collectors shelled out $72 for that 2-pack as you suggest were able to (can't recall but think that's right on the cost) and if it was rare or hard to find - though I don't think that, or the Tarkin / DS Gunner 2 pack were hard to find, then the single-pack Bib will sell just fine.

Jabba could be packed with Oola, for example.

mini-rock
01-23-2003, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I don't remember the Luke & Bib 2 pack being hard to find either. Same with Tarkin & Death Star Gunner.

If Bib had been included it would not have bothered me though, but I don't think it would have sold as well at a higher price.

If the Gamorrean Guard is really going to retail at $19.99 then that's a steal IMO.:D

Ook
01-23-2003, 12:58 PM
That Bib is just about my favorite figure. I wanted him for a looong time. I paid a bit too much for him, though. I think the set retailed for $65. I couldn't afford the $100+ prices Iwas seeing on ebay, and didn't care to get Luke. I also wanted Bib brand spanking new. So I finally ended up getting one that had been opened to take Luke out, but Bib was still twist-tied in the box. I paid $65.

I recently decided I want that Luke. :|

bobafrett
01-23-2003, 02:48 PM
I got the Bib/Luke at FAO having to drive over an hour and not knowing how much it was when the store called to let me know it was in. I got there and almost had a fit when they told me how much it was retailing for. I bought it, and I love the Bib figure. I wish they would sell him sepretely though, because I want to have one to take out and pose with my other loose 12" figures.

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 04:35 AM
I already have Bib Fortuna, so it's not that I don't care that others don't - it's that I had no idea how hard he was to get. Same here, I even preordered the FAO 2packs on my credit card to get 'em. I only recently learned that the Jedi Luke/Bib Fortuna set is actually one of the top HTF sets in the 12" POTF2 line(s).

I'm told that Tarkin and the Gunner go for way less on the aftermarket than the Bib set. I think Hasbro would make some serious bank if they re-released some of those multi-pack originals like Bib and the Royal Guard. They don't even need to do retooling or new design.

jedibear
01-24-2003, 04:59 AM
It sure isn't unreasonable to expect that JT...after all, one of the big releases of last year was a total rehash (except for the two heads)...the Luke/Tauntaun set at TRU. I think enough time has passed and there would be enough collector interest to warrant a single-box release of Bib. As for the Royal Guard....heck, they could just throw it out in a Saga box and claim it was the AOTC version!

Tycho
01-24-2003, 09:08 AM
JediTricks and JediBear make really good points. I'll add to them by saying that Hasbro can bring new 12" collectors into the market if people that never started before don't feel it's impossible for them to get stormtroopers or Luke X-wing, etc.

It will keep interest in the 12" line, therefore eventually allow us 'veterans' to get more new characters that we always wanted, such as Jabba / Cantina aliens that ordinarily might give Hasbro some pause before they go about producing them.

The difficulty for those of us older collectors, is being patient and not grumbling too much when they re-release Han and Luke from ANH with action features. (While I don't plan to get these - uh... I don't think anyway [disclaimer]), they probably are cool and some of you will really like them - and some of you new here, will need some version of them. (I just can't wait for a better Han Bespin, myself!)

Old Fossil
01-24-2003, 10:43 PM
I know I'd pick up that 12" Bib Fortuna if it were rereleased as a non-exclusive. The closest FAO to me is eight hours away, and at the time it was released I didn't even know that that 2-pack existed; only much later did I see grainy pictures of it in other forumites collections...:frus:

gtrain29
01-25-2003, 01:22 AM
An excellent point, Tycho. I am among the grumblers, too, when I look at the coming 12" lineup and 1/3 are rehashes. However, if that's what it takes to keep pumping out new figures, then I will accept it.
Among the rehashes, the Gam Guard, Lando Skiff, AT-ST Driver, Leia Endor -- and rumored Yoda and a new Ewok -- will keep me happy. Plus I still need Padme & Geo.
The Gamorrean looks great, although, the picture could be distorted like the first pic of Zam Wessel which made her appear "stubby".

Wookieboy
01-25-2003, 02:26 AM
Why do so many people bash the 12" line. I love this line of Star Wars toys. Yes, I have all the 4" size, but even if some of the 12" are a bit suspect, you still gotta love em. I think Hasbro is getting better at this line every year. Just think how great these things will be by the time EP. III gets here. All you have to do is look at the magazine Toyfare, 2002 Toy of the Year, 12" ultimate Jango Fett!!!
This figure is freakin' awesome. I only wish they made accessories for these like say, G.I. joe has. What does everyone else think?

mini-rock
01-25-2003, 02:44 AM
I agree Wookieboy. I don't understand why the 12" line gets bashed so much either, yet still buy the figures they *****h about. Every year they do get better, and will agree also that EPIII figs will be the best.

Tycho
01-25-2003, 04:36 AM
I honestly think they are bashed for these reasons:

1) first, people spend a lot on the 3 3/4" line and can't afford the 12", too. It's easy to put something down to help you get over the fact you can't afford it.

2) 3 3/4" line has vehicles - the first reason SW figure collecting got so popular. That was the revolutionary event in toy making: KENNER, decided to make small figures so they could fit in ships. GI Joe's standard size back in the day was only 12". The 3 3/4" Joes started coming out AFTER SW if I have my facts straight.

3) 12" are still like dolls to some people. We know they're not dolls - they're action figures!

4) the 3 3/4" line is easier to get all the characters made. How many here think we'll see a 12" Amanaman or Ephont Mon?

5) Finally there are some articulation and accessory issues , but number 1 is really the first and foremost reason.

Put down what you can't participate in..... that's what they do.

JediTricks
01-25-2003, 04:50 AM
Most of the folks I see coming down on the 12" line have legitimate complaints about likenesses and accuracy of scale (especially when the standard GI Joe body used for these figures starts at a smaller scale at the bottom and gradually increases in size until it reaches the head to simulate a 1/6th scale perspective). I think it's mainly how much those issues mean to the individual collector. In other words, it all comes down to personal taste.

derek
01-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Why do so many people bash the 12" line

my biggest complaints have been hasbro's use of an older, bulky GI Joe body when hasbro should of used their slimmer, better articulated GI Joe body. that, and the figure's heads are too big.

I think Hasbro is getting better at this line every year. Just think how great these things will be by the time EP. III gets here.

they are getting better, but it shouldn't of taken this long. with the resources a company like hasbro has, this line should of been stellar from the start. hasbro has been using a decent body for it's GI Joe 12 inch figures since 1996, but didn't use it in their star wars line untill 2002. and by the time they used this body for jango fett, they had an even better body they could of used for him. and don't even get me started on their use of barbie bodies for their female figures.............

while hasbro may say the line is geared towards children, as we know, many adults collect this line of figures. hasbro has lost many, many sales because their 12 inch figures look more like a "ken doll" than an actual high end figure adults and children would want to add to their collections.

hasbro would win over many adult collectors who have left this line for dragon, blue box and sideshow if they would strive for a more realistic 12" line.

mini-rock
01-25-2003, 12:58 PM
At 20 bucks average a figure I would not consider the Star Wars 12" line "high end" but surely not low end either. The more costly figures seem to be what everyone is more happy with however you can look at numerous threads where "collectors" decided to just wait till these go on clearence so they can afford them, and they wonder why they sometimes get mediocre figures or rehashes. I have to sgree with Tycho that it is an affordability issue (all others are just an excuse or too nit-picky and just plain lame), and can be backed up by the numerous posts where waiting for figures that they supposedly hate but collect anyway to go on clearence. Like I have said in the past you can't put a price on something you love, and I love collecting & displaying my Star Wars 12" figs.

Tycho
01-25-2003, 02:30 PM
That is true. Hasbro will not take bold steps into an adult-only market, and their method of cost-benefit analysis only takes an approach that looks at the broadest market.

Put simply, they won't make anything that they have zero chances of selling to kids.

Their attitude has always been they are a children's toy company that has to deal with adults that just won't grow up.

Part of that last statement, which is as offensive to me as it probably is to you guys, means that Hasbro doesn't want to hedge their bets on folks who will wait for clearance sales versus those who will buy $40 stormtroopers that have extra power-packs that fit their rifles (with working holsters) and who can store the power cells on utility belts with grappling hooks, food rations, water canteens, and other stuff 21st Century Toys might include with their figures if they made the Stormtroopers.

With a large market of 'children that won't grow up,' they might deal with a broader cross-section of income levels due to professional or labor-class employment (again due to maturity levels of their customers). I'm not saying only Doctors or Lawyers collect these higher-end lines, nor do I really know what those toys even cost, since I don't collect them. However, Hasbro wants to make a certain return on their investment into each figure. Average cost per figure gets lower and lower with higher production numbers - but that also means they need higher sales.

They can't sell more to a market that won't pay more.

Honestly, how many of you collect the Maramit 12" SW figures? I don't. They are $150 each approximately, though I think I've heard of sales for $80-90. However, I myself am not yet any kind of professional, and I can't afford that price for one figure (and it's true I'm not a fan of the Maramit style manily because there's no head in them - you don't put the helmet on as an accessory - they don't have a character, to me anyway. (on a side note, I do plan to spend $150 on the Royal Guard, should they release it, and customize it very carefully, with Max Steele, to make Kir Kanos' EU figure).

But Maramit must make up their costs by selling at such a high price. It's like if they needed to make 100 bucks, and there were 5 of us buying, we'd all have to pay 20, but if 20 of us bought, maybe they could sell it for $5 each to entice us to buy.

However, more accessories cost more, and in addition to the profit margin Hasbro wants to make (say they want to make 50% more of a return than what the average cost to produce an item was) Hasbro also has to fit in that product's share of the percentage Hasbro paid George Lucas because it's Star Wars.

Toweling paper ( 1roll, 1 ply) costs about 50-some cents at Walmart. Printed, designer toweling paper might cost 70 cents to have some flowers printed on it. I garauntee you that Star Wars toweling paper would cost maybe $1.15 or something per roll, because George Lucas must get his take on it.

So if a company wants to produce toweling paper because they make 20 cents on every roll, but they have to pay 30 cents to George just to have SW on it, they put that in the price and added 15 cents so they at least make some profit on it.

Trust me: if Lucas' royalties weren't so high, 1) the prequels couldn't have had as elaborate of funding as they were able to, and 2) we would STILL have options of buying Star Wars toweling paper.

Hasbro is in business for profits. They can't make them off of us cheap-skate, whining, over-grown brats who won't pay them $40 per twelve-inch, with one very big whinning, over-grown brat from Senoma, California raping them just for permission to think about it.

The people that work at Hasbro are also fans and would love to have stuff in as much detail as Ultimate Soldier! I know. I've talked to them. Management there controls them, or else managemet there couldn't even pay them.

It's George Lucas that needs to reduce some licensing costs.

That being said, Hasbro has probably already paid up for all their licensing costs until 2008 I think. Nothing can be done about that, but they did lower the price on the 3 3/4" figures for us, since E1 days. $4.99 is awesome!

Maybe they've now made a lot of their money back on the licensing rights they paid George.

Now George created this universe, designed the marketing for it, and definitely works hard and sweats for his profits he makes on us, but only if we're entertained by what he gives us. So far, that seems to have been working - and definitely for the Classic movies. If someone were to market an action figure based on you, for whatever reason, I'm sure you'd want some money out of that - after all you exist because you continue to pay for food to live, shelter to sleep under, and you work at some tasks you ordinarily wouldn't do (over playing with your SW toys) because you need the money to maintain yourself. So if someone was making a profit off of that, shouldn't you get some? (those of you who are married should all be answering with a strong yes by now :D) I don't know by what formula Lucasfilm worked out what they rooked Hasbro, and consequently us, for. But maybe, just maybe, it was fair, considering SW's appeal. It helps fund our movies, since SW are all independents since ESB. However, I bet we all suspect George really rooked Hasbro, and forced their management to pass along costs to us.

derek
01-26-2003, 09:12 PM
Put simply, they won't make anything that they have zero chances of selling to kids

making thier 12 inch line more realistic would only boost sales, not only to children but adults. dooku and jango are steps in the right direction. add airbrushed paintjobs to the heads as dragon and BBI do, along with super-articulated bodies and detailed accesories and clothing, and you have something any kid would want, as well being able to cater to the adult market.

these figures could still sell for under $25, as should the marmit figures. there is no reason hasbro couldn't easily duplicate these figures. all they are is properly scaled figures with hard plastic armor instead of bobble heads figures with soft rubber armor.:)

derek
01-26-2003, 11:22 PM
just an example of what hasbro should do to improve their 12 inch line is better sculpted, properly scaled heads. here is a photo of an excellent example. this photo shows two hasbro heads of harrison ford and arnold schwarzenegger and two un-painted custom heads of the same actors.

Tycho
01-26-2003, 11:46 PM
Thanks for posting that Derek.

I really like the Arnold head! (I collect MF's Terminator stuff)

Harrison looks very real - but more like Harrison today, than when he played Han Solo. That's why I feel that one is apples and oranges.

derek
01-27-2003, 12:00 AM
i think because the head is unpainted, it may appear to look older, and it's an indiana jones hairstyle.:) regardless, i, along with adult and children collectors, would rather have a highly detailed ford head that looks like the unpainted one, than an oversized one that barely resembles the actor. here's that same head with a han solo hair style. still think he looks 60?;)

mini-rock
01-27-2003, 12:04 AM
Not anymore. Now he looks constipated.:p

Beast
01-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Gotta agree with Tycho. Even with the hair transfer, he looks a lot older then the Star Wars Harrison Ford. The browline and nose look a bit to big, and the lines of his face coming off the nose, look to deep. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Nomls

derek
01-27-2003, 12:10 AM
regardless, no one can honestly say any hasbro harrison ford sculpt is better, and that's the point i was trying to make. :)

mini-rock
01-27-2003, 12:17 AM
I can.:)

derek
01-27-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
I can.:)

really? which one? i think hasbro's best ford head is the one that came with the 2nd release of the "stormtrooper disguise", but it could of been way better.:)

mini-rock
01-27-2003, 12:30 AM
The POTJ one? I thought the Endor Han was the best, and the GOD AWFUL award goes to Han w/Carbonite block IMO.:D

Tycho
01-27-2003, 12:42 AM
I like the 2nd Harrison Ford head that Derek posted best.

That does look like Han Solo - mostly from ROTJ.

It wouldn't pass for an ANH figure.

But yes I'd like to have that head which Derek showed on his second picture post on a real Han Solo figure! (Maybe Bespin Han too).

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 08:45 PM
Those Harrison Ford heads are awesome, the 2nd one looks like Han Solo stepped off the screen rather than the average Ken doll we usually gets. Harrison Ford was no spring chicken when he was in ANH, he was in his mid-30s.

Of course, part of Hasbro's problem with Han figures is they use those Ken-doll-style paint apps and end up with these big cartoony lifeless eyes and eyebrows applied to heads sculpted with happy little grins.

Turbowars
02-08-2003, 01:48 PM

The Han Bespin, Luke Poncho, Leia Boussh set for $100.00.

The KB 3 pack was never $100.00. I bought mine the day they were released for $79.99 or 89.99. I think $89.99 sounds more like it, but no more. I bought an opened Leia Boushh for 20 bucks on e-bay, because I wanted the helmet to be on.

JediTricks
02-09-2003, 10:10 PM
It was $89.99, as I said in my earlier post. Tycho may be referring to the 7 bucks of tax we Californians had to add to that though.

gtrain29
02-18-2003, 10:12 PM
OK. . . let's see. . . we've got 10 days left in february, anyone heard any news about this 12" gamorrean guard that's supposed to be released 2/03???

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, hasbro always releases 12" figures about 4 months after the release date.

It's just frustrating with a figure that looks this cool. I wish hasbro would just come out and say it'll be out in june instead of feb, then pushed back to apr, etc.,, I hate getting my hopes up and then waiting out the next few grueling months for the true release.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :cry:

gtrain29
02-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Wow, I didn't mean to use that many faces!

mini-rock
02-18-2003, 10:26 PM
I totally understand your frustration. I keep checking all the sites + eBay to see if there's anything on this figure yet. I know, I'm pathetic.:D

Beast
02-18-2003, 10:29 PM
That wasn't an offical release date, that was a date from Diamond Previews in the UK for when the item will be solicited in their catalog. Then typically the stuff comes out months later. If you've ever been to a comic shop here in the US, check out a Diamond Previews catalog sometime. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-18-2003, 10:33 PM
That's right! I forgot about that. There was another site that had a release date for April. Forbiden Planet I think it was.:)

bobafrett
02-26-2003, 11:58 PM
I just saw the picture on SS homepage of the 12" Gamorrean Guard, and it looks awesome! Definitly on my "going to get" list!

Beast
02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
Wow, only $29.99 for him. And coming out in June, just about when we expected. Nice looking figure. I'm definatly going to have to get me one of these. Damn you Hasbro, just when I've dropped collecting the 12" line, you guys keep roping me back in with kickarse figures. :)

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253759/ctid/17/ls/toys

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-27-2003, 12:43 AM
BAM!! PRE-ORDERED BABY!!

Thanks for the link JJB.:D

Beast
02-27-2003, 12:52 AM
Well, the link is from the front page. But not everyone checks the front page, I stuck it up here as well. I hope they get some in at the local KB store, since I don't have a CC or spare KB Cash Cards on me at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

erlo9
02-27-2003, 01:02 AM
I noticed that the KB description says: Deluxe 12" Figure. Does this mean the quality will be better than the latest 12" figs. Is it just me or does anyone notice that some of the new figures are a poorer quality than the Episode 1 figures? (though some of the POTJ were pretty cheezy) Even the Leia with Carbonite seems to have poorer quality clothes and paint than the KB one in the 3 pack. I was at the local TRU today, and took a look at the new Anakin. He looks like he has the Mumps, and Elephantitis on his arms. Padme looks Anorexic with a huge head. She's got the Mumps too. Forget about Dengar and the scarf that is molded to his head (already a shelf warmer, along with Zuckus) You would think with all the detail Hasbro puts into their G.I. Joes that they could do a little better on the 12" Star Wars figures. At least get a better head sculpt. I would pay a little more for some better quality. The Gamorean Guard looks good from the picture. I will probably buy one or two, as I have bought every 12" figure right up to Count Dooku. But some of the latest figures seem to have gone down hill all of a sudden.

mini-rock
02-27-2003, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I hope they get some in at the local KB store, since I don't have a CC or spare KB Cash Cards on me at the moment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Yeah, I don't have a CC either. That's what the wife is for.;):D

Ouch! She just elbowed me in the gut for that.:eek:

Beast
02-27-2003, 01:24 AM
I think he's listed as Deluxe, just due to his size. You can tell from his box and such that he's pretty beefy. Plus he does have fur and such on his outfit and a totally new body. Pretty nice figure for $29.99, especially from KB. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
02-27-2003, 06:35 AM
I dont collect 12inch but the Gamorrean guard has always been one of my favorite characters so i think im going to get one of these fat boys. He looks a little funny in the picture but just to see a figure of him that size is awesome.

Ook
02-27-2003, 06:41 AM
I wants him now, Precious!

mm74md
02-27-2003, 10:42 AM
Looks sweeeeeeeeeeet!

http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253759/ctid/17/ls/toys

Pre-order: Available 06/10/03.

Use this coupon code to get $5 off the item

CEREALTOY

EDIT: Ooops...this should be in the 12 Inch Forum. Sorry!

bobafrett
02-27-2003, 01:52 PM
The one problem I have is owning several CC's and they have fueled my collecting to beyond that which I should be allowed. Oh Well, as long as I can keep making payments, I'll be alright!

I take it that this GG is not out in KB stores yet, other than online?

mini-rock
02-27-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I take it that this GG is not out in KB stores yet, other than online?

No, it's only available for preorder, and according to the site it won't be out till June.

Turbowars
02-27-2003, 03:17 PM
First off I love this 12", I have been waiting for him for years. 2nd, Hasbro, should have marked it at 19.99. Just because he's bigger than most we get burned for another 10 bucks, because Hasbro knows it will sell. To my defence, (because I know one of you are going to say, Don't buy it) the price was the same for Mon and he's the size of about 6 figures. It just sucks. Feel free to attack me. Anyways it looks very nice and it looks like I need to get a hold of good old Bib and 2 of these for display. Thats if I can find them. There hasn't been any product around here since before X-mas.

Beast
02-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Umm, Hasbro didn't mark him anything. KB Toy Store is the one that sets the prices. That's ridiculous to blame Hasbro, when they are only the manufacturer, not the seller. Besides, not only is the figure bigger, he's also an exclusive, a totally new sculpt, and features fur on his costume. You get what you pay for, in this case. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-27-2003, 03:28 PM
What did I tell you guys?:stupid: Our Hasbro insider has Spoken. Oh, I'm sure Hasbro sold this item to KB at a normal 12" price, Yeah Ok buddy. Being a new sculpt makes no difference.

derek
02-27-2003, 03:38 PM
but, i think hasbro does have a suggested retail price.........

boss nass was huge, and he was $19. $29 isn't horrible, but $19 would of been better. what hasbro should do is sell padme for $3 and sell the G. Guard for $29.:crazed:

Beast
02-27-2003, 03:39 PM
It makes a huge difference. It's quite a bit easier to just slap some paint on a figure, design and sew up a new outfit, and sculpt a new head. Then it is to completely design a figure from the head to toe. Look at the last KB Exclusive, all they did was slap some paint on the basic CloneTrooper figure that they already made and sold in the regular line. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mini-rock
02-27-2003, 04:25 PM
I have to side with turbo on this one. 29 is a little high, and I think it should also be 19 or maybe 22. But I have said it in the past there should be no price limit for what you love to do. I love collecting these figures, and if it sold for 49 (God I hope not:D) I'd still buy it.:)

Beast
02-27-2003, 04:35 PM
$29.99 does seem a tad high at first, but it is a KB Toys Exclusive. They arn't exactly the cheapest store there is. But KB does have $5.00 off coupon codes floating around. Not to mention, it is pretty much one of the biggest and best detailed 12" figures ever. And still a better deal then Luke w/ Tauntaun or the insanely overpriced SandTrooper w/ Dewback. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Zuckass was a new sculpt and was 19.99. Whats up with that? About 1/2 of the 12" line has been new sculpts, so that just doesn't fly with me. Mini-Rock proves my point about Hasbro knowing we will buy it. They could charge 49.99 and some of us would buy it. I'm not saying I would (Yeah Right):crazed: Mini and I are the crazy one's. :D

Beast
02-27-2003, 05:05 PM
Zuckess was not a new sculpt, he was a new headsculpt. He used one of the shorter basic joe bodies under his cloak. Sculpting a new head and new hands is nothing. This is a totally new sculpt from head to toe. Again, Hasbro may have a MSRP but that doesn't mean KB sells things at it. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-27-2003, 05:12 PM
Who's to say that the inner body is new in this GG? You know what, don't answer that. It's not worth it. I love this thing, but the price sucks.

Dar' Argol
02-27-2003, 09:39 PM
No worries. Its moved :D.

Bent Wookie
02-28-2003, 02:54 AM
Anyone want to post a picture of the two Leias next to one another? I want to see just how bad the barbie body works on her. :)

Yep, three pack was 89.99
Luke/Han Stormtrooper--$50 (49.99 I think)
FAO two packs (reissue the danged Death Star Gunner!) were 74.99

Bent

jpak001
02-28-2003, 10:12 AM
Man, they really took a step down on the new Leia Boushh... Little spidly barbie limbs, dopey smiley facial expression, weak soft plastic armor. The old one is just so much better!

I didn't buy the new one, so I cant't post a comparsion (don't have webspace to do that anyway), maybe someone else here has both?

Exhaust Port
02-28-2003, 11:07 AM
No matter if this is a new sculpt or not the price does kind of stink for those hoping to get a couple. I'll be getting one but the price will keep me from buying any more.

I don't buy the "new sculpt" requires higher prices. Every figure was a new sculpt in the first couple of waves and those were $19.99. Darth Vader who was the most complex of the bunch was the same price. KB wouldn't be charging this much if the initial cost to them was perportionally higher.

JediTricks
02-28-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I think the head and arms look out of scale with the body and legs. The new pic still looks out of scale IMO. And what's with the black eyes on this fig? Between that and his beady eyes, makes him look like he's been up 52 hours straight drinking coffee; the real one didn't have that: http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/gamorrean/img/eu_bg.jpg
Not saying the fig doesn't look pretty good, but the under-eye paint app seems too unsubtle.

Tycho was right about the price though.

Turbowars
02-28-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Bent Wookie

(reissue the danged Death Star Gunner!)

Bent Yes please!!!!!! I would love to open one up. That 2 pack was just to much to tear open.

mini-rock
02-28-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by turbowars
Yes please!!!!!! I would love to open one up. That 2 pack was just to much to tear open.

I opened mine up the minute I got it.:D

Turbowars
02-28-2003, 09:15 PM
I didn't buy mine at retail. It was years later and I think I got it for $80?? I don't know, but I have never really been an opener. I will be with the GG. BTW, when was the 2 CS FAO 2 packs released? I didn't even know about them. I think I was just getting online at the time.

jpak001
03-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I remember when they came out, it was right around the same time as the Luke/Wampa Han/TaunTaun sets. Can't remember exactly what year it was though....never was good with dates.

Maybe '97 or '98?

I think the retail price on the FAO sets was pretty close to the $80 you spent though. Even though I knew about them, I still never found them at retail (and I really wanted one of those Luke/Bib 2 packs).

Exhaust Port
03-01-2003, 01:12 AM
I think FAO is still trying to unload the xwing pilot 2-packs aven after 3-4 years have past. I've seen them going for roughly $20.

mini-rock
03-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Geez, I think I got mine when FAO first got in the EP1 figs. Can't really remember though.

JediTricks
03-04-2003, 11:10 PM
BTW, when was the 2 CS FAO 2 packs released? I didn't even know about them. I think I was just getting online at the time. Man, I still remember how hard it was to part with that huge money when I ordered those 2 two-packs over the phone via FAO, that was when I was still on the old computer IIRC. At $60 a piece plus shipping & tax, I felt so weak and stupid after I hung up. Both are great sets though and the Luke figure pretty much made the money worth it, though I got the saber w/out the bronze paint.

Anyway, according to the database, they were released Oct '97 (Tarkin & Gunner) and Nov '98 (Luke & Bib). Notice how these 2packs were relatively hot sellers yet X-wing pilots and Leia w/ R2 bombed (and how those later sets were $10 more :greedy: ).

mini-rock
05-01-2003, 02:30 AM
For those of you who have to have it NOW, Brian's Toy's (http://www.brianstoys.com/acatalog/StarWarsActionFigures.htm) has the upcoming 12" Gamorrean Guard in stock.:)

bobafrett
05-01-2003, 08:25 AM
I have one pre ordered through KB. I imagine Brians toys probably added some $$ to the final price.

mini-rock
05-01-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by bobafrett
I have one pre ordered through KB. I imagine Brians toys probably added some $$ to the final price.

Yeah, about $30.00 added making it a about $60.00....OUCH!! I've got mine ordered through KB also, and a year ago I proly would have jumped all over it, but lately I have been extremely disappointed with the 12" line. :)

Darth Cruel
05-30-2003, 12:49 AM
My local KB Toys got their 12" Gamorreans in today. I picked mine up and a buddy got his as well.

Just a note on the price. Most of the normal size 12" sell for 22.99 at KB. Why should 29.99 be an issue for this one?

plasticfetish
05-30-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
My local KB Toys got their 12" Gamorreans in today. Why should 29.99 be an issue for this one?
They did!?! (I looked in 2 KBs today and saw nothing.) Wow! Is it nice? If it's great then I don't think 29.99 is that big a deal.

mini-rock
05-30-2003, 01:45 AM
I cancelled my preorder a couple days ago. I'm just not interested in anything for the 12" line right now especially after getting into the Unleashed and Master Replicas. Maybe in the future.:)

Ook
05-30-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Darth Cruel
My local KB Toys got their 12" Gamorreans in today. I picked mine up and a buddy got his as well.

Just a note on the price. Most of the normal size 12" sell for 22.99 at KB. Why should 29.99 be an issue for this one?
Damn. Are the pre-orders shipping, too?? Did you open? How about some can pics?? :)

KB's retail prices are ridiculous. Considering the general quality of Hasbro's 12" line, they should only be about 10 bucks. So the Gamorrean ought to be more like $20-23. That said, I jumped all over the pre-order. Thank God I had a $5 coupon code.

Tycho
05-30-2003, 03:20 PM
Thank you DARTH CRUEL!

I saw your post this morning, and got excited about this one, even though I'm not supposed to be buying any SW right now. But this is an exclusive, so I figured, what the heck? It can't hurt to get some info by calling a couple stores.

We have probably 10-12 KayBee Toys in the greater San Diego County area. I called 2 stores close to me, that usually have good stock on Exclusives. No such luck. I decided the Force was telling me to call just one more store.

They had a brand new case of these figures! (4 of them!) when I called them at a few minutes after 10 o'clock (when they open).

I immediately asked the guy to hold one for me, and how many they had left. 4 total, one being mine.

I called my friends in my collecting circle (there's 7 of us total, but only 4-5 of us have dealt with 12" for the most part - the other 2 seem to collect Jedi and Sith only).

I give them the store number and ask them to each call individually, but to tell the guy to hold them under my name.

I get my butt down to that KayBee within like 30 minutes.

There's four Green Pigs in full Battle Gear waiting for me when I arrive!

They're cute, even. In that odd sort of way - like if you think Salacious Crumb was cute...

Well, my pal Tony arrives, during his off-period from his job as an elementary school teacher, and I have his held for him, while I'm talking about Episode 3 with a very cool KayBee sales clerk.

He's impressed.

We called my buddy Mike (who yeah, owns and runs the ************** website). He wants (another?) one - he usually gets his stuff way early, but likes a mint-in-box one that he doesn't open to photo for his site, and he always gets that one later, through our network. Dexter will pay for Mike's because Mike works near where Dexter lives, so Mike can pick his up and pay Dex back, tonight.

Dexter arrives and is equally impressed. He buys 2 (1 being Mike's), and we've all got a Gamorrean now (everyone in our circle that wants one). KayBee's back to being out-of-stock, but me and Dexter each our on the waiting list to get a 2nd one, because he opens one, and keeps one boxed, while I plan to have 2 set up with my (hope to have) 12" Collection Jabba the Hutt - or at least squared off with allies Bib Fortuna and Boba Fett, and facing down my heroes, Luke Jedi, Chewie in Chains, Leia in Boussh disguise, and Lando in Skiff Disguise (still haven't gotten him yet). And I have a 2nd display with Slave Leia and R2D2 (of course), Han freed of Carbonite, with a 2nd Luke fighting Boba Fett, and hopefully a 2nd Lando fighting a 12" Weequay or Nikto (that I'm hopeful Hasbro will one day make!)

So now I REVIEW the opened, loose 12" Gamorrean Guard!

He's big! I have him next to my FAO Schwartz Slave Leia, and he dwarfs her, big time!

His clothes are all soft goods or real leather! JediTricks blasts the 12" Watto, since he was only molded plastic. Now I really understand how good an odd-sized mold can be with real clothes added! The Gamorrean also boasts "real" fur on his skirt, besides the leather vest and independent bandolier strap and waist belt, which buckle together! (fake buckle hides snap-on)

His head is that soft squishy stuff that rubber dog toys are made of. I haven't tried chewing on him, but for MOUSE DROID SNIFFERS, the plastic used smells like baby-toy teething stuff. So I imagine if you want to knaw on him, it'll kind of be like your first teether, if you don't mind chancing you'll ruin his detailed paint job or that you'll probably put teeth dents in the plastic. [Note, I've never eaten any Star Wars product to date, yet]. Being that his head is the squishy stuff, his helmet is non-removeable, but that hardly detracts from the figure.

ARTICULATION: wrists turn, arms turn at the shoulders, like most 3 3/4" figures. Elbow articulation is NOT included, but would have been nice. I don't think there's waist articulation. But I'm typing, never've checked, and he's in sight, but just out of reach at the moment. I have to get this review typed, then back to other tasks. The legs swivel on circle-swivels sort of like Watto, and they're more sturdy plastic than the softer stuff the head is made from.

ACCESSORIES: the one smaller axe actually has blood stains on it! How McFarlane is that?!! They did a nice job on his two axe weapons, one being like a surgeon's chest cleaver with 2 joints of union with the club staff its mounted on, the other being just like a wood chopper's utility axe (this one being the smaller one, with the blood).

OF COURSE HE CANNOT REALLY HOLD EITHER WEAPON! What's up with Hasbro? Does a little guy in a little cave sculpt these figure's hands with no conversation or knowledge of another guy out there sculpting the figures' weapons? K. I would use your clear-bands I always recommend people save (that come with many of today's 3 3/4" figures to hold their lightsabers in their hands, or pre-pose them on their cardbacks. If you don't, the Gamorrean can only hold 1 out of 2 weapons, and he can't hold the single one that well either. He needed more "clenched" fists, not open hand Han Hoth syndrome.

OVERALL - the figure's worth getting! I think I give it a B+, though I'm tempted to go higher, but my highest rankers are like Jango Fett and the Bikerscout on Speederbike and talking 14" Vader w. Removeable Helmet. Being that I couldn't live without those figures, and this one...well - let's wait until the excitement of a brand, new find fades, then we'll see if he gets re-graded an "A."

But please don't pass him up! You'll like this one!

Kidhuman
05-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Sounds good Tycho. I am gonna pick this bad boy up.

Tycho
05-30-2003, 10:48 PM
They might not be rare at all, too.

My friend just called and told me where another store just got 8 of them in.

They're closing now, but they'll have them stocked in the morning, so while I can't be there personally until like 1 or 2 pm due to a business seminar, I'm going to call them when they open and ask them to hold one more for me, I think.

Maybe, if these things are like the Clone Trooper Officers, they'll be plenty of them stocked periodically.

However, they are definitely worth getting, and the Clone Trooper's price hasn't dropped in over a year, so don't expect these to last until they are discount items.

The Gamorrean rocks! How long have I waited for a 12" one of these, I can't say! Feels good to finally have him!

Exhaust Port
05-31-2003, 12:34 PM
I've had mine on order for a while. After reading your review (thanks by the way) I can't wait to get this bad boy!

Turbowars
05-31-2003, 12:39 PM
They are all over Southern CA. Very cool and very big. Now all we need it a 12" Jabba, yeah right. FAO would probaby get it.

Tycho
06-01-2003, 06:00 PM
I got my 2nd one today and now both are loose and out and into some action with my 12" collection!

This is one of my happiest SW purchases in a long while!

The KB store I visited today had at least 4-5 more of them left when I booked out of there to make a breakfast at 11:00.

SO GO PIG OUT! Enjoy it. It's worth it!

oink-oink-oink;)

Turbowars
06-01-2003, 06:08 PM
Hey Tycho, I thought you said you couldn't buy any SW stuff for a few months. Not giving you a hard time, but the Guard must be an awesome figure to buy 2, but you buy 12 of everything, so who knows. I'm just playing, so do get POed;)

Tycho
06-02-2003, 02:22 AM
Hehe. I don't really buy 12 of everything. And I should not have bought even 1 guard, but it's an exclusive, etc. Plus it's a Gamorrean, and my old trademark from Rogues' Gallery was addressing my audience, "Lasers and Gamorreans." So the big guys kinda mean something to me. - and I always used to like them ever since I was a kid seeing Return of the Jedi for the first time. Everyone made such a fuss about the Ewoks, but forgot about the Gamorreans!

But really, the figure is just too darn cool! I guess I wish it was a plush toy, and I'd buy a 3rd one to sleep with, too. :crazed:

But I wanted 2 for very specific displays:

Gamorrean, Bib Fortuna, Lando in disguise, Boba Fett

fighting over one frozen Han Solo in carbonite block

(someday hopefully with a 12" Jabba)

versus Luke Jedi, Chewie in Chains, Leia in Boussh Disguise

and

Lando revealed, fighting (one day I hope) a Weequay or Nikto 12"

Boba Fett fighting Luke, with Han getting in the way...

and a Gamorrean running into battle while dodging Leia Slave and R2 bartender!

My collecting has never been 'normal.' I don't need any new Snowtroopers, I'm not buying Chewie Mynock Hunt, I don't want Leia or Darth Maul re-releases just because they're on a new card, but I do want 9 total Aayla Securas for scenes I've planned, and just 2 of Lama Su (though I wished for more Clone kids I could get without tons of extras of the Prime Minister). So I buy what I need to do my scenes, in any size - but in 12", I really have to like the figure or need multiples for scenes in order for me to go for extras - the Gamorrean definitely qualifies.

plasticfetish
06-02-2003, 03:22 AM
It sounds fantastic. I'll be hunting for one in the morning.
(I'm sure that if I bought my son one also, he would sleep with it.)

K M Toydarian
06-03-2003, 12:02 AM
Just picked up a couple of Guards at KB in Sun Valley (Los Angeles).
Love it. I have wanted this figure for ever and knew back when the unique and large Boss Nass came out old Pig Guard couldn't be far.
Anywho, I noticed on the back of the box is pictured the Padme, Ani, Geonosian wave. I hadn't paid attention before, but I just assumed it would have the Lando wave from ROTJ. Hopefully this means the ROTJ wave was always meant to surface a little later than The Gam. Guard, and could pop up in abundance any day now? I have not seen or even heard of Lando around this area.
Will plenty be available for us? I hope so.

Tycho
06-03-2003, 12:04 AM
"I'm trying to reach L-A-N-D-O Calrissian."

"Wait! Let me explain!"

:rolleyes:

Turbowars
06-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Very cool figure guys, way better than what has been out there. I picked one up Friday at a KB in Burbank CA. The only thing I don't like is the paint job on his face, but from a fare he look great. There were 10 still there. I do want another, but I need a Bib to display them with and there's no way I'm opening my FAO 2 pack. E-bay is calling;)

Ook
06-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Very coo figure guys, way better than what has been out there. I picked one up Friday at a KB in Burbank CA. The only thing I don't like is the pait job on his face, but from a fair he look great. There were 10 still there. I do want another, but I need a Bib to display them with and there's no way I'm opening my FAO 2 pack. E-bay is calling;)
You need those great figures out, dude. Open the box and destroy it! :p

Turbowars
06-08-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by vadersfist
You need those great figures out, dude. Open the box and destroy it! :p No way Bro, I paid way to much for that 2 pack to open it. I'll get a loose Bib off E-bay one of these days. Besides I really don't have any place to display them anyways. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a carded collector, then most of the time I'm happy I am, because after I open something I'm either disapointed or think the toy is a piece of crap, when I loved it in the package.

mini-rock
06-17-2003, 06:08 PM
Looks like the Gam Guard is in stock now at KBTOYS.com .

Tycho
06-17-2003, 06:42 PM
They seem to have 3 or 4 of them in stock at the physical stores here in San Diego.

I've got 2 and I'm really satisfied with that. But these are great figures!

I hope they sell well, so KayBee will continue to bring us cool 12" exclusives.

Amongst irregular figures I think will have to be exclusive if we ever get them are:

Jabba
Salacious
Ephont Mon
The Max Rebo Band (who picked them up? any retailer committed yet?)
ReeYees
Momaw Nadon
Lak Sivrak
FX-7 / 2-1B
Taun We - Lama Su
Yarael Poof
Even Piel
Orm Free Taa
Gonk Droid
etc.

A lot of others that we want that are irregular sculpts and can't just be a GI Joe with alien heads, feet, and hands (aka Akbar - who turned out really cool anyway)

bigbarada
06-18-2003, 02:33 AM
I had to quit collecting the 12" line because of limited space, but I definitely want 2 of these guys! I can see what people are saying about the legs being a little bit disproportionate, but that doesn't matter to me. Judging by what we've seen in the past, even the best 12" figures don't really hold a candle to the accuracy of the 3 3/4" line or the latest waves of the Unleashed line. So I tend to curb my expectations for these guys.

With that said, the Gamorrean looks ten times better than I would have expected. Bossk was my previous favorite and he is terribly misproportioned. The stubby legs of the Gamorrean are really no big deal.

derek
06-18-2003, 05:03 PM
this figure is now in stock at kb toys dot com.

i went ahead and ordered it cause i'm tired of looking for it at the mall.:)

jedi master sal
06-19-2003, 10:24 PM
I was lucky enough to find two of these bad boys in the "Burgh tonight!
I've already opened one of them!!! Now if I could find a 12 inch Lando or someone who has an extra to trade for the Gam Guard. I want both of the Gam Gurads but would be more than willing to part with one of them for a 12 inch Lando/Skiff.

Sounds like the tide of new stuff is finally rolling in! Just check out the SAGA forum for yourself. People are starting to find SAGA "Gold" (As they are seeming to call it now) everywhere!

mm74md
06-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Mine is on a truck in transit to my house. I hope it arrives today!!!!!

jonthejedi
06-21-2003, 08:11 AM
And the KayBees in Md got theirs in for the most part Fri. nite. Patience would have saved you shipping, and a guarantee to select one where the acetate isn't creased beyound belief. Don't believe parttimers who don't know anything. I had a mgr. check the manifest. They want to make $$$, too...just like we want to buy!

Exhaust Port
06-21-2003, 10:24 AM
I just got my GG in the mail! I was thinking of leaving him in the box but KB has stuck a hugh sticker right in the middle of the clear plastic window! argh.

Well, he'll stay in there a little bit more until I can clear a space on the shelf to display him. Who should he stand next to......?

derek
06-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Who should he stand next to......?

bib fortuna, slave leia and skiff lando

Ook
06-21-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Exhaust Port
I just got my GG in the mail! I was thinking of leaving him in the box but KB has stuck a hugh sticker right in the middle of the clear plastic window! argh.

Well, he'll stay in there a little bit more until I can clear a space on the shelf to display him. Who should he stand next to......?
That sticker comes off without leaving a bunch of crap behind. But you still need to open that fat boy! He's awesome. Just got him today, and he's joined Bib flanking the frozen Solo, on the new wall shelves I just installed. Looks fantastic. I want to get some pics up next week.

bobafrett
06-22-2003, 12:55 AM
I got my GG yesterday in the mail. How cool is that! It is one awesome figure that you just have to see in person. The pictures I saw don't do this bad boy justice. I'm still debating on buying a second one to open. It's not a matter of wanting too, it's just a matter of can I afford to.

Tycho
06-22-2003, 01:41 AM
It's so cool that the 12" collection finally gives us not only something to rave about (as in "I want one more!") but that it also is the most positive thing out there about SW collecting today!

Think about it:

No one's really finding 3 3/4", Deluxe Stuff, or vehicles really.

If they are, it is not overly impressive stuff - they complain about the Deluxe Spider Droid and Super BD maker.

Yoda and Chian kind of impress people, but folks complained about Chewie's bowcaster, the new Luke's action feature, you name it. Aayla and Bariss still get availability complaints.

Meanwhile in the 12" waves, Lando's not really too close to being found by everyone, and some who have found him, still complained. (I don't have Lando but want him bad!)

But last wave, Anakin and especially Padme, took sharp criticism. The Geonosian is underrated, but not everyone's found him yet.

But the Gamorrean Guard is showing up in more and more KBs and everyone getting him seems really happy with their purchase!

To me, that's starting to push the Gamorrean into the running as the best SW product of the year. He's certainly taken the 12" title, as even the Geonosian can't compete and Dooku was last year (and Plo Koon, too, right?)

So, so far, the Gamorrean really rules SW collecting in 2003!

Congrats and enjoy to those who have found him.

Doc Brown
06-27-2003, 01:05 PM
I couldn't stand looking at him with those hideous "raccoon eyes" lol. Here's what he looks like repainted with a more accurate green also and horn color. I think he looks a whole lot better and it's an easy fix. :)

stuck the pics of this page: http://hometown.aol.com/xsuvplastk/page1.html

jedi master sal
06-27-2003, 02:01 PM
looks great. So how did you do it. Did you airbrush it? If so with what paints/color/number (On tube of paint to denote color)/manufacturer?

How long did it take to do?

Doc Brown
06-27-2003, 05:36 PM
I used createx airbrush paint with their bonding and catalyst agent. (so it won't rub off) I actually just used a brush and blended. I mixed several colors until I got the right shading. the colors I used were yellow, brown, white and of course green. actually I believe it only took me about an hour to do. lol I also blended some black into his nose and his mouth to give it better depth than that brown they had in there.

derek
06-27-2003, 07:02 PM
EXCELLENT!!!

very nice paint job.

hasbro seems to have hired some really bad painters lately, because the last few waves have really had bad paint jobs........anakin 2, padme, han solo, gamorrean guard, etc....and the new luke looks like his eyes are painted as if he's crosseyed.

it just goes to show how important a paintjob is regardless of how good the sculpt is.

Doc Brown
06-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Thanks! :) yeah poor poor luke lol. definetely one for a re-paint..either that or buy him some 1:6 scale bi-focals lol

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 02:14 AM
Very nice work Doc Brown. I thought the GG was great out of the box but your work makes it better.

plasticfetish
06-28-2003, 04:37 PM
Wow! That's fantastic, much better.

Jayspawn
06-28-2003, 05:03 PM
I hate the racoon eyes on 12" Gamorrean also. Nice paint job!

Exhaust Port
06-28-2003, 11:38 PM
It was a late night at Jabba's Palace for him I guess.

Kidhuman
06-29-2003, 01:06 AM
Nice paint job. Thats the way it should of looked to begin with. Maybe Hasbro should hire you to do better jobs on the painting. :crazed:

Turbowars
07-05-2003, 11:46 AM
Hey Doc, want to make some $$ and paint one up for me? Seriously

JediTricks
07-06-2003, 01:52 AM
I couldn't stand looking at him with those hideous "raccoon eyes" lol. Here's what he looks like repainted with a more accurate green also and horn color. I think he looks a whole lot better and it's an easy fix. :)

stuck the pics of this page: http://hometown.aol.com/xsuvplastk/page1.html Excellent repainting! If I had these kinds of skills, I'd buy one and do the same. I've currently held off buying one because of the paint and the articulation issues.

One question, have you (or anybody else reading this) considered altering the actual eyes? I think the whites are too big (this is a problem I find on most Hasbro figs of any size though) so even with the beady little eyes this figure currently has, I think they should be a little smaller.

Doc Brown
07-06-2003, 01:59 AM
lol thanks all. Yeah he sure did look like he was on a bender before. or maybe someone at hasbro was. :P

Exhaust Port
07-08-2003, 12:20 AM
Anyone else having the problem of their GG being a shelf diver? I've returned home 2 times this week to find him laying on the floor. His feet seem steady I guess, but apparently he still needs some support.

Doc Brown
07-08-2003, 12:40 AM
Hmm, that's odd. Don't seem to have that problem with mine. He stands by himself perfectly fine.

Ook
07-08-2003, 06:32 AM
Anyone else having the problem of their GG being a shelf diver? I've returned home 2 times this week to find him laying on the floor. His feet seem steady I guess, but apparently he still needs some support.
Is your shelf at a 45 degree angle...? He's got to be the most stable 12" yet....

Exhaust Port
07-08-2003, 10:32 AM
No, it's very strange. Perhaps I have a figure gremlin that's pushing him off.

JediWannaBe
07-20-2003, 10:57 PM
I found 3 of these in a KB in my area, took 1 but wanted to get 2.
Anyone need one?

Exhaust Port
07-21-2003, 08:44 AM
After doing some more fiddling with the GG I've got him standing so he hasn't fallen in a few weeks now. Considering how much plastic is in him, he always made quite a noise when hitting the floor. :)

TheDarthVader
08-01-2003, 04:07 PM
Great job on the repaint Doc! That is how this figure should have looked to begin with...it looks excellent! Thanks for the pics! :)

gtrain29
09-04-2003, 02:31 PM
I finally found the GG at KB.
Yikes!! That paint job is awful!! First thing tomorrow, I'm following Doc's lead and getting some paint to slap on this guy. Maybe it was the gamorrean before the makeup crew got to work on him.

Anyway, overall, I'm kind of disappointed in this one. I think this was a figure hasbro should have gone all out on considering the number of collectors who had him on their wish lists. I suppose hasbro figured people would buy it no matter how good they did it -- and they were correct.
For 30 dollars, though, I expected something more: A decent paint job for one!! Articulation in the arms so he can be posed with 2 hands on the axe -- that would have been a first for gamorrean guard figures. Instead of coming with the vintage-line axe, he should have come with something they actually use like the staff/pike thingy they have when luke chokes them. That also would have increased interest to buy more than one Gamorrean; have a couple with axes and a couple with staffs. I was not pleased with the molded helmet, shoulder pads, gauntlets, and sandles, although not surprised, but the real clothing is one thing that makes the 12" line so great. Also, I might add that the GG is way out of proportion next to my other figs. That head is much to big, so are the hands & feet when compared to the rest of the line.
Despite all the complaints, hasbro got my money, which is all they're concerned about, and I am happy to add the Gammy to my collection although it is far from my favorite figure.
This was a decent $20 figure, but a disappointing $30 one. Like I said at the top, Hasbro neede to really do a number on a figure as wanted as this one, and they dropped the ball IMO -- certainly not the first or last time they'll do that, though.

Ook
09-12-2003, 02:30 PM
KB, who still has them at $29.99 on their site, has been auctioning them on ebay. They start at $15 and include a buy-it-now for $23.

http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=kbtoys&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50

evenflow
09-26-2003, 03:50 PM
This may sound crazy, but i saw this for the very first time today. I lied it, not great, but i bought it anyway.

Wampa
11-18-2003, 12:26 PM
http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253759/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/452/ls/default

Only $14.99. I you have not bought one, now is the time.

bobafrett
11-18-2003, 08:34 PM
http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253759/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/452/ls/default

Only $14.99. I you have not bought one, now is the time.

Thanks, I have one, but would like to get a second one to open. Anybody seen if these are priced the same at the KB toy stores?

2-1B
11-19-2003, 02:55 AM
Thanks for the heads up!

Cool, they also have Playskool on clearance so I can grab what else I need. :happy:

bobafrett
11-20-2003, 11:52 PM
I stopped by a KB in my area today, and they still had the GG at full price. Much sadness.

Turbowars
11-22-2003, 07:41 PM
I stopped by a KB in my area today, and they still had the GG at full price. Much sadness.That figures, I wanted to pick up one more so I can display Bib with them.:cry: :happy:

Ook
11-28-2003, 06:43 PM
One local KB had them for about $18 with the discounts today. You'll pay more than the difference for shipping online.

2-1B
11-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Not if you order $99 or more and get free shipping.

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 09:23 AM
Not if you order $99 or more and get free shipping.What does KB have that would make you want to buy $99 of stuff? Not much.:frus:

2-1B
11-30-2003, 12:33 AM
What does KB have that would make you want to buy $99 of stuff? Not much.:frus:

Imperial Shuttle 69.99 or 59.99 after $10 online coupon
Gammorean Guard 12inch 14.99
Playskool Falcon 19.99

That's $95 right there, but I ended up ordering 2 of the Gam Guards, and 2 of the Falcons, plus the rest of the Playskool line as gifts and a few other sets I needed (X-Wing and Naboo).

In the past week and a half I spent nearly $200 at KB.com

I don't expect to order anything from there again for a very long time. I think I'm saturated. :D

plasticfetish
12-11-2003, 02:28 AM
Our good friend the 12" Gamorrean guard is now $9.99 at kbtoys.com

Go here! (http://www.kbtoys.com/genProduct.html/PID/2253759/ctid/17/INstock/Y/D/452/ls/default?_e=3fd82&_v=3FD82726NRYMaCEDA969ECF6)

Coupon code KBDECTEN works for 10% off also. (I used this plus the last few dollars from an old gift card to get mine for less than $10 with shipping.)

Now plasticfetish jr. gets a Gam guard to cuddle with for X-mas! :)

bobafrett
12-11-2003, 08:09 AM
PF, Thanks for the link and the code! I too, got a GG for under $10! You Rock!

MrSci-Fi
12-29-2003, 03:39 AM
Dang I missed that deal.

dustrho
01-05-2004, 03:18 PM
My wife got me one of these before Christmas, and I must say I really like this figure. It could actually be a little bit bigger I think, but overall I think it's nicely done.

plasticfetish
01-19-2004, 05:25 AM
I too, got a GG for under $10!
That ended up being a great deal. The box showed up 3 days before X-mas, perfect timing. (Big thumbs up to KB.com for that.) It's a nice figure too. The $30 store price is too steep I think, but when you take it out of the box it's a fun, big and sturdy toy. I'm really hoping that KB puts these on clearance in the stores next... I need one for myself now!

JediTricks
01-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I picked this fig up yesterday (I know, way to wait) for $7.50, the figure is OK but could have at least used a mid-arm diagonal cut joint or something to make those arms more poseable. The paint is pretty Hasbro, but that's no surprise. The outfit is weird, the bottom looks like a diaper, but it's definitely not terrible. All in all, for the "last 12-inch I'll ever buy", it was ok. They had OTC Chewie as well, I didn't realize he was so plain, maybe if he comes down to $12 or less.... maybe. ;)