PDA

View Full Version : Basic Saga Red Battle Droid, where is it? (merged)

Turbowars
01-19-2003, 11:34 AM
There's 2 of these on E-bay for $19.99 each.

Jargo
01-19-2003, 12:56 PM
Good question Turbowars, I was wondering the same thing myself. perhaps they pulled it for a later release as a multipack. Perhaps they pulled it due to poor interest in the previous cream colored version which is being dumped into bargain bins everywhere. R2DTOYS have a deal right now for 200 battle droids at 99 which in one respect is cool but on the other hand is really not good as far as the numbers of these things that have gone unsold. It isn't Hasbro's fault entirely considering LFL switched the color of the arena battle droids at the last minute so hasbro had gone into production early and made their quota before discovering the color was wrong. Regardless it might be nice if Hasbro were to give word of cancellations to avoid undue concerns from disappointed consumers.
I think in all honesty that the multipack idea is the most feasible. On the rumor listings a while back a battle droid three pack was listed which could be the red version. But I don't hold much hope for a release generally. Stores are pulling away from star wars again. Exclusives are being cancelled, I would think that the production run on figures this year will be somewhat smaller than last year where everything was over produced.

But this is all supposition. What we need are answers from some official source. Maybe TOYFAIR next month might yield some answers.

Turbowars
01-19-2003, 03:09 PM
(I thought Hasbro wasn't going to the toy fair this year) So with what you just said, if a carded collector as myself, wanted a red on a basic card, then e-bay is my best bet.

Jargo
01-19-2003, 03:31 PM
As I understood it, Hasbro was still going to TOYFAIR but not in the same capacity. I.E. they were scaling back their presense, not taking a lot of stuff. It would seem a bit stupid to not give out the information somewhere on what's to be expected in 2003. That would be a surefire way to have people lose interest if they don't know what's coming. And to think they can just rely on their feeble website is just laughable. Unles Hasbro invest some real time and effort into the site who's going to bother? They're being left behind in the dark ages. Where's the flash content, cool games and the like? Where's the multiple angle shots of the figures at the very least? To rely on a scant few small low resolution pictures is just amateur. From a marketing POV the hasbro track record is just plain dreadful. There has to be some sort of change within to get some cohesion to the marketing effort. Sketchy and Patchy and Apathetic seem to be in charge of the operation at the moment.

But to answer your question, i don't know what's best to do, wait and see if the thing appears in a wave later this year or go for broke on a way too expensive auction. Depends on whether you can spare $20 and shipping or not really. There's an update on the deluxe figures coming this next week although i fully expect it to be the rehash of the super battle droid with interchangeable limbs like the other deluxe droid factory droids, and possibly the dwarf spider droid but maybe something not quite as good.

I'm afraid it's up to you though Turbo to decide. sorry. :(

keithfite
01-19-2003, 05:30 PM
hi. I live in wheelersburg, ohio. its near portsmouth and an hour away from columbus. and these areas are fantastic for finding star wars saga figures. I have every one of em from ephant mon, to the clone trooper deluxe set and so on. But I have never, not once seen the red battle droid, the single figure. Does anyone have it from buying it in a store or have you seen it in a store. I would like to know. Stuff really gets in stock good here, but ive never seen that. Is it even out? if you can help Id appreciate it because its semi driving me out of my ever lovin mind thanks

Prince Xizor
01-19-2003, 06:19 PM
No, no one has found it yet. And dude, check out the previous posts, there was one about this posted like earlier today or yesterday.

kdp100
01-19-2003, 06:28 PM
I think the R2DToys offer is for a job-lot of extras of a split-apart battle-droid that came with one of the Theed playsets from Ep1.

Sounds great for army-builders, but I think that in the interests of conserving space I'll stick with the 14-or-so battle-droids I've already got!