PDA

View Full Version : Are you a Completist?

Tycho
01-19-2003, 11:36 PM
With likely over 500 figures in our Star Wars collection now, the issue of what participating in this hobby means to a lot of people has had to have gone through some re-evaluation.

Please read the response choices closely, and then let's discuss what each of our own levels of participation stands at today.

some pointers on the responses:

1) Yes, I have to buy at least one of every figure Hasbro produces, even variations

This may or may not mean you also get Deluxe figures, pack-in figures, or special army builder packs, Screen Scenes, etc. YOU TELL US! It does mean that you buy every single-carded figure and any variations.

2) Yes, I want to get 1 version of any new figure, even resculpts, but not the variations.

This may or may not mean you also get Deluxe figures, pack-in figures, or special army builder packs, Screen Scenes, etc. YOU TELL US! It does mean that you don't care if you have all 12 variations on the 1996 Luke Skywalker Jedi Knight figure. That's not important to you.

3) Yes, but I complete a collection of only specific types, such as Classic Star Wars.

This means that you define some kind of category of figures, maybe just only figures from AOTC, or maybe just Jedi and Sith. YOU TELL US.

4) No, I now buy only what I really like but I'm mad, as I used to like being a completist.

How much of a completist were you? Variations? Just some sort of category that you fell back from? YOU TELL US.

5) No, I never had to have everything, I just get what I really like.

This means that you never worried about getting everything. Maybe you buy for dioramas or you "don't do resculpts." YOU TELL US.

With a Sketchtrooper on its way, a strong Prequel movie continuing to make it marketable to roll out a lot of AOTC figures, and army builder packs and Screen Scenes adding to the variations out there, let's see what everyone has to say.

Rogue II
01-19-2003, 11:51 PM
Yes, but I complete a collection of only specific types, such as Classic Star Wars

Guilty as charged.

stillakid
01-20-2003, 12:12 AM
Yes, one of each new and unique figure plus extra "army builder" figures where applicable.

2-1B
01-20-2003, 12:43 AM
Nope !

I used to be from about 1995-99 but since then I've been selective in what I buy. :)

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 08:12 AM
I used to be a completist, then Hasbro released the SAGA line.:rolleyes:

Just to clarify, I only collect the 3 3/4 inch line.

Vortex
01-20-2003, 12:05 PM
I try to get 2 of every 3-3/4" figure, and I don't really care about card changes, variants, or errors.

New Head Sculpts - Yea, I try to get 1 of the new head sculpts.

Delux - Depends on if they are cool looking.

Ships - Usually try to get all the ships, but I've passed up one or two.

Playsets - Hit and miss. I passed on all of the Ep I playsets and stuff like the Hoth playset or the Swing to freedom playset, but I got the battle arena.

EU ships - Depends, but I passed on the airspeeder, swoop, etc.
I got all the EU carded figs, including all the Shadows figures.

12" - I only have 5 total, and I only buy the big stuff if its cool or they do a char. I like. But 95% of the time I pass on the 12" line.

I'm pretty selective, but I do try to get all the released 3-3/4" and 1 of each ship.

The other problem now, is I'm quickly running out of room for all this stuff, and when I update my spread sheet, I'm amazed at the count and the 9,000 I've sunk into this hobby.

Gungan Warrior
01-20-2003, 12:17 PM
I just like to buy figures I like. I want to build an army; not including Jedi, more like aliens and lots of ships. I'm a ship person. Right now THE GUNGANS run the show in my room.
:crazed:

QLD
01-20-2003, 12:30 PM
I used to be a completist, until AOTC came out. Since then, well, I just have a lot of trouble buying MOST of the prequel figures.

Mar10Sir
01-20-2003, 12:33 PM
Well... I guess I used to be a completist up until Hasbro released the Episode I Deluxe figures. Same thing happened with EII so I guess I'm a completist of carded and exclusive (be it Fan Club, vehicle pack-ins or other) figures.

With a current stock of 673 figures you can guess I also like to set up small battalions for shelf dioramas.

Mar10Sir
01-20-2003, 12:35 PM
Oh... I don't care about the 12" or Unleashed or whatever. Just ths 3-3/4" lines.

blueswiz
01-20-2003, 12:49 PM
i'm into one of every carded figure, but not every variation. new cards, yes, but not variations. i've recently become addicted to all 12"s as well.

NRPeace
01-20-2003, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I try to get at least one of every 3.75 inch figure. So far, I'm only missing 9.

jpak001
01-20-2003, 01:38 PM
I was trying to be a completist up until the end of POTJ (was missing two ep1 figs though). Ended up selling most of it because of:

1) storing all those figures, ships, etc... took up waaaaaay too much space
2) saga collection, 'nuff said!

Now I just get what I REALLY like!

187-Maul
01-20-2003, 01:57 PM
I have always just bought what I really wanted and I will continue doing that cause I don't see the need to get every fig (and there's a lot of stuff released I don't want or don't like) and money and space is a very big issue too
I'm happy as it is:)

gibbspaulus
01-20-2003, 02:04 PM
I want to be a completist but cannot achieve it without robbing a bank. I try and stay uptodate with 3.75, but can't afford many of the ships.

I have given up on 12" as I am just sooooooooo far behind (I have about 25% so far so you see what I mean).

And I just avoid micro machines ..etc as the other lines are enough of a headache already!

Wanna sugardaddy!!!

Quite-Gone Jim
01-20-2003, 02:16 PM
I'm a completist with regards to the individual 3.75 figures. I get one of each, including rescults, but not variations.

With the recent offerings from the deluxe line, I've become selective about what I buy.

I also try to get one of each ship, but I pass on the really out there ones (remember the imperial missle cruiser thing).

Unless Hasbro really starts to focus on the collector, I may change to being more selective. I've got every espiode IV Luke in tatooine clothes I need or want.

JediBoulton
01-20-2003, 02:55 PM
Here in the past few months, I have been collecting only one of each figure. I used to collect EVERTHING. Here is the low-down:

3 3/4 Figures -- I will get each one. I may get a few varations
depending on what it is. This part of my collecting
has gotten expensive -- as long as I have one of
each, I am O.K.
Vehicles -- If the vehicle is "really cool or has never been released
beofre -- then I got to have it. The Shuttle and Clone
ship have been great additions to my collection.
Deluxe -- If it offers something I like or cant get otherwise.

12" Figures -- These are the great ones. I still buy one of each
of this line. They look GREAT in the Cabinet.

That's about the extent of my collection. Thanks.

TheBigSloppy
01-20-2003, 03:13 PM
I currently have over 1,800 Star Wars related items - mostly 3 3/4" figs and vehicles - from vintage to the Saga line.

With regards to variations, I tried to collect every one: .00, .01, .02, .03, .04, green or red card, open hand/closed hand, piece of tape/no tape, tied/taped, hologram/no hologram, RB/SUB. You name the variation, I probably have it.

But I am growing old. . .and tired.

Like Bilbo said, "butter spread too thin over a piece of toast." I am getting tired of all these variations on the Saga line. The number has been mindbogglingly ridiculous. Hasbro's wrist should be slapped. I pretty much stopped collecting variations after POTJ.

SOoooo. . .I am now a fairweather variations collector. If I hear about a variation and just happen to find it - GREAT. But my thirst for the hunt/variations has subsided. If I find a Yoda w/o the TM - COOL! If a Dexster Jetster w/ BG, and pipe text falls off the pegs and into my cart - AWESOME!

But I am by no means looking for variations - for I do not sift through bins. I do not look any more than two figures deep on the pegs. And I have no need to buy Saga figs from online vendors.

My variations days are nearly over with the exception of a FEW (and I mean few) gaps in my POTF2 collection.

I am merely okay with owning one of everything. . .now.

Maximillian Phokas
01-20-2003, 04:48 PM
I too used to be a completist. The Classic line of the 70's and 80's is almost complete (aside from a few things that cost as much as an Oldsmobile), but with the new lines out, too many variations, too many rescuplts, and too many Lukes, Hans, Jar Jars, Padmes etc, have lessened my enthusiasm. I just try to get figures from the original movies, or figures that are unique (not Malibu Stacys with new hats)

I WILL be furiously looking for Antilles and Dodonna though!

Can we start a campaign for an Tagge, Ozzel, Needa triumverate??? :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-20-2003, 05:30 PM
I get one of every figure, but no variations for me. I am far from finished with my collection (about 275 open, basic figures [can't remember how many deluxe etc.]). I open them all, except for:
*Silver R2-D2
*Extra Jorg Sacul
*Extra EI Anakin
*Extra Dagobah Luke w/ short saber in long saber tray
I have no vintage crap. I have just started to get army builders of Geonosians, Endor soldiers, stormtroopers, tuskens, etc. And for example, I will not be getting the new Eeth Koth because I have the POTJ one.:)

joe-da
01-20-2003, 05:50 PM
I'm a near completist. I was a completist until Jorg Sacul and Saga. It took them to wake me up - Jorg being so hard to get, and Saga with it's pre-posed nightmares.

Kidhuman
01-20-2003, 07:18 PM
I try to get everything I possibly can. I mainly collect just the 3 3/4" line. I start off by getting what looks better than the others. I try to get them all but living in a small area it is hard without having to resort to secondary marketing.

jedi-cpa
01-20-2003, 07:42 PM
I have attempted to collect every item from the 3 3/4 line since 1977. No variations. No different cards, just one of every fig, playset and vehicle.

However, I am a little put off by the recent appearance4 of a Saga Teebo and EethKoth, and imperial officer. Are these any different than the POTJ figs?

The only items I don't have are Eopie and Qui Gonn
Blue Snaggletooth
Yak Face
RC Sandcrawler
Imperial Sniper
Jedi Arena (this was a mail away fig display)

and of course

the cursed Vlix (those Bas***ds had to include that on the 300th fig poster)

:mad: :confused: :)

jedi-cpa
01-20-2003, 07:44 PM
Jorg Sacul and 25th Vader:mad:

THose releases are just not fair!!!

Jerjerrod
01-20-2003, 08:19 PM
I only buy the ones I like, which are usually anything with a realistic sculpt, resculpts, or cool cinema scenes and screen scenes. I cannot afford to be a completist because:a)I live in Canada, b)I don't have enough space in my room.

Turbowars
01-20-2003, 08:24 PM
I was a #1 from 95-2001. I collected all card variations and any errors I could find in the POTF2, EP1 and POTJ lines. Now its just one of each figure, unless I really like it and I open one. I also collect the 12", but skipped Ep1 and I refuse to buy Annie and Obi from EP2. Oh and a few Deluxe and ships, no crappy Play sets.

dwall16294
01-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Itís getting to be too much. I like the carded figures; but the statue type "figures" like the trash compacter sets really bore me. A lot of the "new" stuff if just rehash. God! How many Chewies do I need. I'm also to the point were I'm looking forward to the time when it will end again. -It will. It might be 5 or 7 years away; but, most everyoneís interest will subdue to the point where it is not profitable to make the figures anymore, then it will be like it was after '87. I'm kind of looking forward to the time when there are a finite number of figures (like there was before the new stuff started in '95.) Then I can collect again without the feeling that itís a bottomless pit.

jedi-cpa
01-20-2003, 09:02 PM
1985 all over again.

There will be one last wave that will be tough to collect, but at least I'll have a definitive end.

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 09:13 PM
I feel like I'm in AA...

I'm JT and I'm a recovering figure completist. It's been nine months since I last picked up all the figures that were available at the time. I used to buy one of every 4" figure and every major figure variation such as POTF2 blue- to brown-pants Han Endor; I even bought every Episode 1 figure no matter how extreme the pose or limited the articulation -- and nearly all at full price.

Then, in early 2002, I saw pictures of the upcoming Saga figures and could take no more. For the first time, I felt little or no compulsion to pick up some of the figures being offered, even at the lower price point. Extreme sculpts, megawatt blast effects, pitiful articulation, cheesy packaging, all these and more frustrating elements added up to a heavy lack of interest on my part. For the first time in the modern line, I actively passed up nearly half of the offered figures in the current Star Wars line.

I would definitely not classify my attitude as "mad", though I did enjoy being a figure completist, but I am greatly disappointed with the direction that Hasbro and Lucasfilm have taken the Star Wars line which used to mean so much to me.

Ham Salad
01-20-2003, 09:40 PM
I am a completist. I must have one of every 3 3/4" action figure, vehicle, playset and accessory that Hasbro produces. No packaging variations, though. That would be insane. :p

Some of the rarer pieces that I own (loose of course):
Eopie and Qui-Gon
All Bonus Pit Droids (both styles and colors)
Darth Maul from Sith Speeder Electronic Game
Jorg Sacul (traveled to Celebration II just to get it)
Toy Fair Darth Vader

TheDarthVader
01-20-2003, 10:18 PM
I collect one of every figure (no variations) from 1995-present. I do not have the money to get all variatons. I have 235 figures. Two of the ones I am most proud of include Jorg Sacul and the 25th anniversary Darth Vader. (paid a lot for that one!!!)

Tycho
01-20-2003, 10:20 PM
So what do you guys think of the current poll?

I thought it would give everyone a chance to express themselves.

I can see things like the Jorg Sacul and Toy Fair Vader did not do any favors for Hasbro in the area of keeping customer loyalty.

I assume that those who got these figures and already had everything else and would stay loyal if they succeeded in acquiring these, but that number is small and finite next to the amount of would-be completists who missed out on these, and may have given up being "Hasbro's perfect customers."

Next, what JediTricks posted was very funny: "I feel like I'm in AA - my name is JediTricks and I'm a recovering completist...."

But JT and many others are stating very accurate complaints about the line today.

I debated about posting, but was going to wait to organize my thoughts more, but I think I got what I want to say now.

I was never a completist - I got into this (again) when there were only 9 new figures in '95, but I decided to do dioramas because I finally had my own place, my own ride, and my own precious, over-extended credit card. The first 9 figures, and in fact just about all of them until 1998 were basically essential.

I decided to collect Shadows of the Empire, in hopes that the hobby would continue gathering the momentum it had shown, and eventually get so strong that I'd have all the EU figures I wanted so badly - like Thrawn and Mara Jade, but including Palleon, the Noghri, and Talon Karrde, so that I could use these new and realistic-looking figures to "see" what the Episodes 7,8,& 9 that I dreamed of, might have looked like had they hit a silver screen. (You should see Luke's escape at Myrkr that I made with a custom Luke, saber-launching R2D2, some custom smugglers representing, Karrde's men, Han Solo, Mara Jade, Lando General, and a lot of Bikerscouts and Stormtroopers in a quiet beach town that I set up as New Hallyard City!)

Well, I've been skipping figures since resculpts began with blast shield Luke, and new-likeness-but-limited-pose-Leia. ('98) and turned down pack-ins since the Scanning Crew Dude in the Falcon carry-case (made my own with vintage heads and AT-ST Driver bodies).

That never disappointed me - as the less I spend on "all the figures," the more I can spend on "some of the figures" - like getting over 80 Stormtroopers early on was very important to me - and I have like 12 Gamorreans, good counts on Death Star Troopers, and other army builders since even before Hasbro thought mounting these kinds of armies was important to some of us.

I did not buy BE Chewie, ER Han, Luke X-wing (POTJ), and many other recent figures, but just breathe a sigh of relief and figure I'll pay off or save up for one more Clone Trooper.

But sure, the over-exaggerated action poses disappointed me: I need figures of Kit Fisto, Luminara, even Obi-Wan that they do not make yet. Luminara looks great in my Arena Battle, but had she been sculpted differently, I might've bought more of her for at least 2 scenes in Palpatine's office, I'm planning to make permanent displays out of.

Then, there's needing a resculpt of characters like every angry Anakin that would look ridiculous appearing that way next to Padme in her wedding gown. That takes away one more figure from one more assortment that might have given us General Dodonna or Captain Antilles a long time ago.

While the new Anakin looks great and I plan to buy about a dozen of that figure for future dioramas, I worry that if too many Anakins are on the shelf, the hobby will die too soon and I won't have a General Rieeken.

One of the best things that keeps me interested, is getting Classic Figures they never made before. I was ecstatic with the hobby as I got a Han Stormtrooper, Wedge Antilles, Slave Leia, Grand Moff Tarkin, the first Sandtrooper, even Luke Dagobah, Ishi Tibb, Captain Piett, and at long last a Darth Vader with removeable helmet! Figures I've waited for ever since the original line died out. - and I finally got Thrawn and Mara Jade.

While I too also look forward to a time when I can pay my debts from Star Wars, catch my breath a little, and concentrate on buying cases and enclosures to display my stuff loose within - work almost to a professinal level on a sarlaac monster, etc., I don't really want the hobby to die out.

In spite of our "collector grumblings," the line was stronger than it has ever been this past Christmas with Star Wars action figures being the No. 1 toy demanded this year on Santa's wish lists nation wide according to a lot of toy-buying guides that parents turned to for resources. No. 2 on the list happened to be Star Wars role-play lightsabers - and while I own 3 to have samples of different colors and hilt styles - I don't collect these. Kids purchase the majority of them as I've seen countless lightsaber fights at the beach, and it was easy to distinguish them on the 4th of July. This is all because AOTC played really strongly. It didn't have to beat TPM at the box office - that's because a lot of non-fans viewed TPM, and old fans disillusioned by it dropped out of the SW theater audiences - not to mention the DVD was just around the corner from the theatrical release of AOTC (I saw Clones in the theater almost exactly 30 days before the DVD release).

However, with the lines strength, came no Talon Karrde figure, no Noghri, and not even a Yuuzhan Vong at the height of the New Jedi Order adult novel series' popularity (not to mention the chance to do another McFarlane styled alien with props like Amanaman's and detail like Ephant Mon's).

Instead we got Chewbacca - and next year another Chewbacca. While they do keep getting better than 1995's, I'm not about replacing figures in scenes I've already done.

I would be happy though, if this hobby could continue for generations to come and if one day I have grandkids, at least a Luke Tatooine and basic Han Solo (improved to who knows how much better?) will be on the racks in perhaps a very small space (maybe 1-2 racks) dedicated to keeping Star Wars' light on, and maybe there might not be any more Tarkin figures made - and certainly not a Wuher or even someone like Bom Vimdim that we're still waiting for, but Star Wars will still be there for me to share with even my grandkids' kids - if anyone still marries guys with Star Wars collections the size of mine!

I know that these new collectors that replace ones that fall away, will have to have Luke Tatooine, and Han from the Cantina, Leia in white with her buns, and even JarJar Binks as the outcast in the swamp. I don't mind and my enjoyment of collecting is not going to end because of that. I may not buy those figures (ok - I won't buy those figures) but as long as I have days like today where I learned that I'm finally going to get Captain Antilles and General Dodonna after having wanted them since 1978, I am in this hobby for as far into the future as I can see.

The resculpts I'll save money from. The debt will be paid as fewer and fewer new figures I want get produced - and my income after college only increases with time, even higher education, and work experience (as might be the case for all of us). But Star Wars will survive and my collection will represent its best years and be something of a jaw-dropper for new fans of the future who's parents might show them these timeless films.

Who knows? Like Pokemon started as a cardgame, or PowerRangers an after-school show, Star Wars is much more cooler and may not need to have any more movies to have some kind of licensed property bring it back to popularity - so maybe there will be a 2015 resculpt of Wuher because of popular demand?

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-20-2003, 11:06 PM
I just want to at least have a full collection in my possession. So far the SAGA basic figures are the closest I have to a complete set (for the '02 figures).

dwall16294
01-20-2003, 11:30 PM
I guess I need to clarify my post a little. I really do like seeing Star Wars figures on the shelves when I go to the stores, even if I don't get them all for all the reasons in previous posts. However, I think in time the existing run of toys will end. At that point I will find it much easier to set a goal of getting a complete set (second hand by then.) But for now while they are still churning them out, I'll need to pick and choose because I have no idea how much being "complete" will cost.

scruffziller
01-21-2003, 09:47 AM
I used to buy everything I could get my hands on. But that put me way in over my head in debt and room in my place. Now I only buy figs from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace to complete my dioramas.

Rogue II
01-21-2003, 10:30 AM
As I stated earlier, I answered, "Yes, but I complete a collection of only specific types, such as Classic Star Wars."

I only buy 3-3/4" figures and some vehicles. I gave up collecting Legos and Micromachines(I'm thinking about selling them).

I don't have every figure. I skipped the Millenium Minted coins, Leia 2-packs, and some of the gunner stations and cinema scenes. I also never got he Leia Commtech because I don't want spend $20 on her.

I don't have too many big vehicles, mostly because I'm cheap. I have the AT-AT ($25 on clearance) and the B-Wing (gift from my wife). In fact, other than the Landspeeder(Saga version) and the Skiff, I think every vehicle I have was purchased on clearance.

With the lack of Classic Trilogy figures being released, I've started army building. I got 3 Stormtrooper sets, and I plan on getting the Sandtrooper and Rebel Fleet trooper sets this year. I will pass on the Endor Rebel set.

-I don't collect Variations/Errors (although I do have a "bloody stump" Luke)
-I open almost all of my figures (I have about 20 carded figures that I have duplicates of (I will probably try to get rid of some of them)
-I only purchased 4 Episode 1 figures (Yoda, R2-D2, and a couple Darth Mauls) and I only have Classic Trilogy POTJ figures.

abell748
01-21-2003, 10:46 AM
i agree with dwall. I was a completist until the saga line started (the shuttle really killed this for me too). right now i am just buying what i like and opening that one figure or ship. i used to be one of the guys that would buy two, one to open and one to stay in the box yadda, yadda, yadda. But issues of money and space forced me re-evaluate my collecting habits. maybe when the line ends and i know how much is out there and how much money and room it will take i will finish a complete 1995- 200? run. until then, i work on finishing my boxed vintage collection.

bobafett07728
01-21-2003, 11:38 AM
Well, from the beginning of the line I have tried to be a completist. I guess it is a habit I got from early on when I collected stamps with my grandfather. I MUST have one of every figure, that is the priority. I then try to get every major variation as well, and if I can find them for an inexpensive price, I will pick up the slight variations. Being a huge Star Wars fan/collector, I try to pick up just about everything though, not just the Hasbro stuff. However, having a limited flow of funds, it is difficult to get everything. So I prioritize my purchases:

I stated earlier that the single 3 3/4" take precedence over everything else.

Deluxe get picked up when they are inexpensive.

Vehicles and Beasts. . . if they come with a pack-in definitely,
otherwise when ever the opportunity arrises.

Exclusives. . . always try to get these because there is the possibility that I may not be able to get them at a later date.

12". . . one of each, but I am not concerned with variations.

I always try to pick up promotional items, and give aways (like Pepsi stuff, and fast food items), so upon a movie's release I usually go crazy. Its is times like the current (no promotional pieces), when I am able to go back and pick up some of the stuff I may have missed (Speeders, Deluxe figures, etc.)

So I voted for the first choice. . . I am a completist in every true definition of the word. Although I would like EVERY single item that is released, I do pick and choose occasionally. . . but I am still a true completist at heart.

Megs 2
01-21-2003, 12:07 PM
I just collect the villians, too many Vaders, Mauls, J. Fetts, & now Dooku/Tyranus.

dr_evazan22
01-21-2003, 12:28 PM
I voted for completist (3-3/4" and 12"), including resculpts, but not variations. If I happen to know about a variation and come across it, I'll pick it up though.

I've got almost all of the current POTF2 - present line. I'm missing a few E1, Leia and gen. Tagge w/ the CT, and Ephant Mon. I also used to get 2 of each fig, but w/ the volume of fig's for the Saga line I haven't been able to catch up. In addition to the fig's, I've collected all the ships and playsets (in hindsight I wish I hadn't gotten most of the playsets- very disappointing!).

I'm missing about 10 (or so) of the 12" line.

As for the rest, including LEGO, I just get what I like (and can afford- else I'd have the UCS Star Destroyer:) ). I'm not a big bust collector, but the Yoda, DV, Boba, and Clone Trooper might change my mind.

nohagent
01-21-2003, 03:09 PM
I used to collect all 3 3/4. For a while I persevered with the nasty assortments and engaging with damned scalpers in the early am.
When POTJ first came out everything got worse. Not only was the packaging ugly enough to give me a headache it seemed that poor assortments and scalpers multiplied like cockroaches. At this point I slowed down.
My true turning point was when I went to a target and this guy was strolling up to the register with a cart full of new figures. I stopped him and asked if these with the new items. He said yes and that there was plenty back on the pegs for everyone.
I went back and looked and there was nothing except about a dozen Jek Porkins.
I couldn't take it anymore. I just wanted to collect for my own fun, a hobby that my wife even approved of and people like this idiot were ruining it for me. I am sure he was taking those figures directly to ebay to make a few dollars. Big deal I am sure he could do better for his time on a real job. I figure when buying from creeps like this on ebay more markup goes to paying shipping that the seller makes in profit per figure and us true collectors get taken for it.
Anyway I went to the parking lot to do some dental work on this guy, just one shot. I could not do it though, he wasn't worth it. I felt I would be more like him afterwards if I did so. The worst of it is that now if I see a bunch of figures I want, i can not buy them all at once because I think others should be given a chance to get what they may like.

plasticfetish
01-21-2003, 07:39 PM
I voted "No, I never had to have everything, I just get what I really like."
Though, a mutated combo of #4 and #5 would be way more accurate ...
"No, I used to like being (or think I was) a completist, now I just get what I really like (and can afford.)"
I would state for the record ... if I figured out this Lotto thing with the 6 numbers and the big jackpot and all that ... I'd probably go back to buying everything with a StarWars logo on it. For now, I'm happy to focus on OT figures both 3 3/4" and 12" (esp. ones that were never made before) and some of the more unique prequel figures.
... and, errr ...
what I buy for my "son" to play with should be completely ignored, as that pile of plastic has NOTHING to do with me. ;)

CloneTrooperMace
01-21-2003, 08:09 PM
I am realy not an completist

Ji'dai
01-21-2003, 08:47 PM
I buy two of each of the carded figures, including resculpts. I don't care about variants, errors, or card condition. I'm really picky about getting figs with good paint jobs.

I used to be a completist, but POTF2 became too fragmented with many different lines to collect. I like the 12" line but I don't like spending $20 per figure, so I usually only buy the ones I really like. I buy all the Classic Trilogy vehicles and playsets, plus extras if I really like them or see them on sale or clearance.

I couldn't get excited about Episode I product so I passed on most of the 12", Deluxe, Battle Bags, Beasts, and the Flash Speeder. Got the playsets and pod racers on clearance.

I really liked AOTC, so I'm a little more enthusiastic about the toys. But I've waited to buy the 12", playsets, Deluxe, and vehicles for when they go on clearance. I don't really like the Unleashed line.

Ji'dai
01-21-2003, 08:55 PM
Post Script: I do collect all of the SW LEGO sets, preferably on sale or clearance. I will buy extras of sets on clearance for parts.

I am missing one set: the Battle Droid Carrier from Episode I.

I really want a Imperial Star Destroyer, but will have to save for that one!

12INCHJANGO
01-21-2003, 11:34 PM
There's just so much crap that's out there. You'd have to devote a good part of your time (not to mention $$$) to search for and purchase collectibles. It simply got out of hand with the hype of Episode I and its oversaturation of merchandise to collectors. We were simply drowned by all of it. For instance, I dunno how much FAO Schwarz got burned by Hasbro's flood, but I'd imagine in the least, their revenues were hit by Hasbro Star Wars merchandise that stores such as Walmart, Kmart, TRU, and Target clearanced long before FAO thought about sale prices. It was ridiculous. I've become gun shy about collecting since then. Now, I just purchase few items that I feel cannot be found again if passed up once. For the most part, at least half of all Star Wars figures, vehicles, and playsets will be clearanced at some point in time. So why pay retail for this latter stuff from the outstart? Patience is indeed a virtue to be cultivated in most collectors. One gets wiser, and more prudent about the art of collecting with years under one's belt. Hopefully, not too long after Episode III will this friggin madness stop and we can all put Star Wars to rest, and move on to other cult icons. The world does not revolve around Star Wars, but for those who think it does, enjoy it while it lasts.

Bryan Segal
01-22-2003, 03:12 AM
I have to admit that I have one of every figure variant, regular, vehicle, scene you name it all the way up until mid E. 1, then I am missing around 25 all together from mid E. 1 to present. I am a loose collector of 3 3/4 inch figures, I tried with the 12 inch but I am so far behind in that, I just pick up the ones I like now.

My hope is to one day have one of at least every 3 3/4 inch figure that hasbro puts out in American release, so that one day I can come out of the "Star Wars" closet and be known around the globe as the guy who wasted his entire life a a Star Wars toy Bounty Hunter. Hey it beats buying those stupid ceramic clowns!!

mini-rock
01-22-2003, 11:27 AM
I voted #3 since I collect the 12" line only. I do have every Star Wars 12" figure Hasbro has made though.

jjreason
01-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Loose collector seeking one of every 3.75inch figure, be they pack ins, exclusives, deluxes, builder sets, EU crap releases, or plain basic carded figures. Been this way since I was 6 and it's not going to change any time soon. Stupid part is Im mostly happier with the stuff in the package - as soon as I open the figures disappointment takes over 99% of the time.
I think less than half of the Saga figures released in all the above mentioned formats were worth the money I spent on them.
I dislike resculpts and preposed figures as I'd prefer to buy only one "definitive" version of each character and have more fringe characters produced.
Im happier with the collection 2 figures.
Im waiting with baited breath for this years OT releases, as I think most of the 30ish bunch are.
I want Hasbro to revert to the POTJ style of figure.

Bryan Segal
01-22-2003, 03:21 PM
Star wars toys, it's like friggin' cat nip for collectors. When it all comes down to it, I'm glad I am addicted to buying Star Wars toys rather than being addicted to crack! At least I always have something to play with. Maybe one day, when all is said and done, I'll be able to give it all to the needy and every kid in the world will at least have one star wars toy!

Jaster Mareel
01-22-2003, 09:40 PM
I try to collect all of the 3 3/4" action figures but I have decided not to collect some of them. I do wish that Hasbro would make more of a variety of figures instead of many different versions of the same character. We don't need 10 different versions of Anakin or Obi-Wan. And what about the figures that don't win the Fan's Choice? Are they ever going to be produced?

DarthBrandon
01-22-2003, 10:32 PM
I used to be a Completist of 3 3/4 inch figures/ships and anything else that was out there, (12", comics, posters, cards, ornaments, etc) but as of late (Saga Line) I really don't have any interest in figures that have gimmicks on them that deter their sculpt and play-ability. I have bought some figures with gimmicks, i.e. (Luke/Vader Bespin, Han Endor Raid) and cut the buttons off them. These were exceptions only because of the great detail that was put into the sculpt and their overall look itself. I will not be buying a lot of the Saga line figures due to their silly gimmicks and over posed action stances. I just wish I could get figures with two arms and legs that bend with a decent sculpt on them. Then I would return to collecting in a more complete way. Right now I'm just happy to get what I like the most and that's it.:D

David Denny
01-23-2003, 09:49 AM
I was a completist for POTF and E1 figures but not POTJ too many backs to
get for each figure with all POTF it hard to get all but im back to being a completist with new set with over 600 carded figures and one room in my house just for star wars it has been fun

zeroplate
01-23-2003, 04:03 PM
i've never been a completist and i guess istill don't understand the phenomenon after reading page after page of posts saying things like 'i really don't like all the figures, but i've got to have them all' or 'at least half of the figures are junk and aren't worth what i paid for them.' to me, if it's not worth what you paid for it, then you are being duped into buying junk that you don't even want, which is kind of sad.

i would like to have one decent figure to represent each of the major characters, but that right there means not buying much more than 25 figrues. there aren't that many major characters. all of the aliens who appeared in 12 frames of film or endless variations on a theme seem wasteful to me. i realize it can be fun to have a figure of an obscure character, but i find star wars and the star wars universe to be rich because of the stories of the few main characters, not because it is chock a block full of rubber-masked aliens with no impact on the story.

we all go about it differently, which i suppose is the beauty of it, but if you can honestly look at your collection and wish you hadn't bought figures x, y, and z, isn't that a clue that you ought to be more picky in the future?

each successive sculpt of a character seems to get better, so it seems at least a possibilty that hasbro will go for one last hurrah once all the movies are done and release what they consider to be the definitive version sometime in 2006... i think i can wait.

Wookieboy
01-24-2003, 03:18 AM
I am a completist, the only problem was that I liked so many things besides Star Wars that it truly got out of hand. I wanted every item that came out. I guess if you stick to just Star Wars (my true love) then you're okay. I have recently been selling all of my "toys" as my wife calls them, except any Star Wars of course. My advice to everyone is, stick with what you like, otherwise you'll end up like me, with a basement full of 12,246 unopen action figures. YIKES!!! This is my first time on here so I guess I'll just say "May the force be with you", or something to that affect.

Tycho
01-24-2003, 10:16 AM
I know what you mean. I ONLY collected Star Wars and Star Trek action figures.

Recently, I bought my first 2 McFarlane Movie Maniacs sets from Terminator (Sarah, Endoskeleton). I found my "Arnold Terminator" and two T-1000's online. But I love those movies with a passion. But that is it! The Alien v. Predator stuff looks great, but I'll just admire it in the store - I have no room for it here.

I only buy what I plan to open and make scenes with. So that's my hobby. In 1992, Playmates debuted 10 Star Trek Next Generation figures, and I started collecting again because it reminded me of Star Wars collecting. By 1995, I got my wish and SW was back.

Almost immediately I decided that I could finally have as many stormtroopers as I always wanted - then the diorama hobby started from there and I've forever been running out of room ever since! (now Art Asylum is doing awesome StarTrek stuff, so I'm back after that)

So I strongly recommend people buying only what they like. I've seen the completist obsession ruin people's enjoyment of the hobby since back to the Fruitloops Han Stormtrooper - but man - you have to have that! :D

kool-aid killer
01-24-2003, 11:53 AM
I voted for no i dont have to have everything i just get what i want. i do get most of them though because i really like the star wars line. Although i am a bit disappointed that the saga figures have action features i still bought most of them. figures that i dont get are ones that really dont stand out (han endor raid and bespin luke) and I dont care about that short saber long saber junk or this has dots this one doesnt.

Tonysmo
01-25-2003, 08:58 AM
I voted for the I dont have to have everything as well.. I like to find the obscure stuff, and stuff that appeals to me.. like that new purple lightsaber.. saw it... had to have it.. but skipped on the two 12" clone troopers which I would have liked to have as well.. just cant spend all that cash... I do try to collect the SW legos though, those are just too awesome to pass up.. still a few of those I dont have either... I think the biggest part of my collection is the helmets.. Im pretty proud of my helmet display, and the ability to walk out of the house as a different character each day of the week... I do enjoy the hunt as well.. think I may take a ride and look for the elusive elehont mon today...

carnifexold1eye
01-26-2003, 01:02 AM
I usually get at least one of every figure, so in that sense i am a completist.

obi-dad
01-27-2003, 01:25 PM
I try to get one of every 3-3/4" figure, and I don't really care about card changes, variants, or errors. However, I am not into EU characters and have none of the Sith Aprentice Mauls or shirtless, or other varients. I had at least one of all POTF2 (I collect army builders) and I'm only missing Padme assension gun & the pit droid 2 pack from EP I. I was going for a complete POTJ, but with 10 Anakins and the Choco-Obi (& of course the EU Maul, Quigon, & Obi) I became more selective.

New Head Sculpts - Yea, I buy at least 1 of the new head sculpts (or more for army building).

Delux - Depends on if they are cool looking. I've passed on ALL of the flippin' action figures. Actually, other than the clone trooper, and flying Geonsian, I haven't been very impressed. I loved the deluxe POTJ figures, though.

Ships - I buy at least one of all the ships.

Playsets - I have bought all of the playsets that I can remember, even buying vintage ones that I never had as a kid.

EU ships - I have passed on ALL EU ships & figures.

12" - I like the line, but I have only bought the 12" Scout Trooper on the speeder bike. I was tempted with other figures, but haven't bought anything yet.

I'm pretty selective, but I do try to get all the non- EU released 3-3/4" and 1 of each ship.

Jargo
01-27-2003, 03:45 PM
I buy what I like and I buy multiples of various army builders or for customising. I don't buy anything I think is junk. With the exeption of bargains where i'll buy a figure I hate just for the accessory but only if it's a real bargain. I buy most but not all vehicle releases though and sometimes multiples if they're cool and it would look silly just to have one. I buy from all the lines bar the roleplaying, 12" and action fleet lines. I had an action fleet obsession once but cured myself of it by smoking around the toys and having them all go brown. Couldn't be arsed to replace them and so my obsession died.

Completism in what sense though? I see my collection as near complete because I've bought everything i wanted to. It might not be a complete collection of everything hasbro spewed out over the years but it's my complete collection. So in that sense i am a completist because I've completed up to this point. It's a many sided prism to look through really and totally subjective as a question. :happy:

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 06:58 PM
IMO, each collector defines "completist" for himself. I thought of myself as a completist even though I didn't get the Fambaa or Eopie or Rowarrr from the board game; and then when Hasbro came out with the Saga line, I no longer felt compelled to continue that level of completism.

Jedi-Dalsa
02-02-2003, 01:46 AM
Yes I Try To Get All Action Figures Released! And Even Variations If I Can Find Them. I Have Some Error Figures Even That Are Not Even Listed Here At SirStevesGuide So They Must Of Been One Of A Kind Error's? Or They Would Be Listed I Guess? In Some Cases That Is Great News As That Makes My Errors That More Special For Me.

I Been Collecting Star Wars Since 1980 And Have All The Original Figure Line From 1977 To 1985 And Even Ewoks And Droids. And I Have Variations From That Series. They Had Several Back In Those Days. Why? Because Back Then They Were Made In Several Countries And Each One Made Is Different In Some Way Than The Other Country Made. So No I Don't Have All Of Them As They Would Be Hard To Get All Of Those.

I Even Buy The Deluxe Packs And Any Vehicles That Come With A Figure. I Don't Even Collect The Vehicle's But If They Have A Figure I Have To Buy Them For The Figure Then.

The Cinema Scenes Were Very Nice For My Collection And Any Special Release's They Do.

I Am Not A Carded Collector! I Open All My Figures. So Card Variations Is Out For Me.

The Variations I Collect Have To Be Figure Only Variations. No Weapons Or Anything. I Could Care Less About That Kind. So Yes I'm Very Select Of What Type's I Do Buy.

I Now Hear Hasbro Has The Rights To Make Star Wars Until 2018? If So That Is Strange To Hear. Why? Because The Line Is Not As It Used To Be. Many Collectors Have Given Up On The Line. And Some Have Cut Way Back. So I Have A Hard Time At This Point To Think That The Series Will Last Past The 2005 Movie Figures! So For Hasbro To Have Rights For These Until 2018 Is Just Odd.

I Heard The Sales Were Down For Years Now On Star Wars So Why Would They Want The Rights For That Long? After 2005 I Just Can't See Star Wars Lasting To Long On The Market As The Movie Series Will Be At It's End. But Maybe Something By Then Will Change? Who Knows.

But Until That Day I'll Be Collecting Them Until Then I Hope.

MTFBWY
Jedi-Dalsa

obi-dad
02-03-2003, 04:49 PM
"I Heard The Sales Were Down For Years Now On Star Wars So Why Would They Want The Rights For That Long? After 2005 I Just Can't See Star Wars Lasting To Long On The Market As The Movie Series Will Be At It's End. But Maybe Something By Then Will Change? Who Knows." - Jedi-Dalsa

As far as I remember.... from recent news, Hasbro's sales were some of the best in the Toy business and Star Wars was #1 for Hasbro. Yes, things are the same as before, but they are better than they have been in ages.

nohagent
02-03-2003, 05:21 PM
Plastic is expensive, especially that special Star Wars plastic

JediTricks
02-03-2003, 06:25 PM
Then the toy business must be in a slump because Hasbro for last quarter didn't meet their estimated earnings from what I've heard, and the 2 quarters before that were even more dismal.

Tycho
02-03-2003, 07:53 PM
The economy. Star Wars could (was) rated as the #1 toy property for Christmas, and 2002, and Hasbro's lightsabers were in second place at # 2 - which took even Hasbro by surprised or they would've rushed out electronic purple, yellow, orange, and green sabers in saga packaging before now.

That being said, they still could have not met their earnings expectations - but they did better than everyone else, including Mattel.

Barbie's down, Aayla Secura cut her out! (and the Nexu ate the pieces while the Gunship blew up HotWheel City!) Star Wars wins again!

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Hasbro met their earnings estimate for 1st and 2nd quarter 2002. Sure the economy was down and the toy industry with it, but Hasbro had foreseen how that would affect them in Q1 and 2 - and Q2 was a dismal estimate - so missing on Q3 and 4 and coming out ahead of the rest suggests just how bad off the rest of the industry must have been. Sales for SW were #1 for the holiday, but the whole industry was down, so I'm not sure that's a sign of strength in the line - seems more like a sign of weakness in the overall industry. Also, does anybody know if this moniker is based on actual purchases or just retailer orders? Or how about a comparison in number of 2002 vs 2001 sales, anybody have that?

Tycho
02-04-2003, 10:21 PM
I don't have the data, however, in the manner that a lot of statistics can be used, whatever the perspective of the writer, the stats will match.

That being said, if the articles were so positive, it might suggest a SW toy fan wrote them, taking into account whichever was higher: sales to the chains (Target, TRU, Wal*Mart, K-mart, KB) or those stores' sales to their retail customers.

However, seeing the turnover by a lot of the toys like I did, I think the line performed awesome. These figures shipped originally and either totally sold out, or are only on racks now because they were repacked in a very late and recent case:

Anakin Outland Peasant
Padme Arena Battle
Obi-Wan Coruscant Chase
Jango Fett Kamino Escape
SuperBattleDroid
R2D2
C-3PO
Kit Fisto
Boba Fett
BattleDroid
Geonosian Warrior
Clone Trooper (Capt)
Anakin Hanger Duel

K-mart is the most likely place you will still find these figures left-over from their original shipping cases. KB Toys comes up next.

My Toys R Us, Wal*Marts, and Targets are sold out of them, in addition to pilot Obi-Wan, Bespin Chewbacca, Bespin Darth Vader.

However, Hasbro doesn't always seem to care how their product sells once it's been bought by their direct-paying customers (the chain stores), or almost all of the product would be excellent quality. They sell some of it by the name, to whatever wholesale purchasers they can dupe for their own paychecks.

But WE have to like it, or our stores will be stuck with crap like that new R2D2 that's not going to sell for one per case (though I think they packed 2 in there) and those same stores will not buy more assortments from Rhode Island, and each time they do that, some ex-Hasbro employee probably adds to the state's welfare payroll. :rolleyes: