PDA

View Full Version : AF 2003 : New Boxes : Pics of Spider Droid & more !!!

sicqnus
01-20-2003, 12:05 AM
YackFace.com has posted the pics of the upcoming Action Fleet (boxed) : Gunship, Homing Spider Dro´d, Zam Wessel's spider, Anakin's spider.

All are great ! The new clear boxes are great ! No need to open the boxes to display the ships !
The new Gunship has clear cockpit windows and laser turrets (beautiful job).:D :p :D
The Homing dro´d is amazing, I love it. It looks like the HG Wells Martian Machine.
The Zam's speeder is uncomparable to the 3,3/4" one. After seeing the Action Fleet, you can drop your 3,3/4" to the discharge garbage !
Same thing for the beautiful Anakin's "American Graffiti-like" Hot-Rod just see by yourself.

Great job buddies !!!

Here are the pics :
# Homing spider Dro´d :

:crazed:

sicqnus
01-20-2003, 12:07 AM
Republic "soviet copter" Gunship.

sicqnus
01-20-2003, 12:10 AM
Zaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam-ouch!!! sooo fast !

sicqnus
01-20-2003, 12:14 AM
I forgot ! You does not like to control...

Battle Droid
01-20-2003, 12:46 AM
SWEET, good to see they fixed the Gunship. I'll definately be buying the Homing Spider Droid & Gunship.

sergiurusu
01-20-2003, 03:02 AM
They are all GREAT!!!!!! Hope to see them soon!!

Hawkwind
01-20-2003, 05:38 AM
WOW!!! , after first seeing the gunship i was dissapointed but this one looks amazing ..thank god they put clear cockpits in it ,,and all the other ships look amazing !!!!!! is the speeder boxes slightly smaller??. all we need now is some figures (those ships definetly look as if theve been desighned for figures :-)....

Thankyou sicqnus for posting those fabulous pics...

Jangu Fett
01-20-2003, 08:36 AM
They look awesome. Did anyone notice? It looks like Zam's Speeder cockpit opens. And if you look closely you can see 2 seats.

Maybe we will see AF mini-figures?? Man, I hope so.

sith_killer_99
01-20-2003, 08:44 AM
I'm not a huge MM fan, but I really like the Gunship!

LTBasker
01-20-2003, 08:45 AM
The vehicles are nice but why new boxes? It seems like Hasbro's gonna be spending more on packaging than it is the vehicles. The full window box ones are gonna get crushed so easily it's not even funny. Plus since the only cardboard there to protect them is on the bottom, this could lead to the vehicles themselves getting hurt.

neonblade
01-20-2003, 10:20 AM
The gunship looks big enough to hold pilots in the cockpit. And it has alot of room in the cargo area. Zam and anakin's speeder look a little big. I love the spider droid. I can't wait. When are they coming out? Zam's speeder looks like it comes with a damaged fron thing you know lol. to replace so it looks damaged. We WANT MINI FIGS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope they fit them. Not like the AT-TE

jeddah
01-20-2003, 10:32 AM
Nice pics, well done and thanks.

Must say that I am not too impressed with the Spider Droid, it looks a little more like BP fodder than to warrant its own AF.

Also, Anakins speeder looks a little too angular.

Love the RGS and Zams.

jeddah

AndyW
01-20-2003, 12:38 PM
Great pics,I so can't want for the wave with the gunship!!!!

RE:new boxes. From a designers point of view I can't see these being production boxes,they offer very little protection and aren't really very attractive,despite being easier to display the ships themselves. I really can't see them changing the action fleet box design at this stage. But thats just me.

Hawkwind
01-20-2003, 01:48 PM
I agree ,for me the only boxes i really liked were the origional one's especialy the playset boxes. these new ones look kinda cheap with the see through roof and sides

SWAFMAN
01-20-2003, 09:35 PM
JT, SirSteve, Glitch, SOMEONE! - can you get a straight answer from Hasbro on the boxes shown in these pics? Are these just mock-ups for the photo shoot? Will the production releases have the "standard" new EP2/Saga box design, or ones like what are shown in these pics?

I know Hasbro hasn't exactly been reliable or forthcoming with AF info lately, but this is a question they ought to be able to answer honestly and quickly.

This isn't just idle curiosity. A good point was made above about the fragility of these boxes, and if Hasbro is going to move to something like what's shown, I'd like to know so I can plan to buy these through D & S where I have a better chance of getting a clean, uncrunched box.

cloneemperor
01-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Can anyone answer this question? In the picture of Zam Wessel's speeder, what is the thing in the upper right corner partially hidden by the speeder? Any guesses?

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Swaffy, I'll try to get that question answered "officially", but they're stamped with the Action Fleet logo, that says "real deal" to me.

As for the fragility, I doubt that'll be as much an issue as you suspect. The look of the embossed logo and some other stuff makes it look like the plastic will be nearly as strong as a Star Case.

Anakin's speeder seems way too big, but since no figures, I guess Hasbro really doesn't give a crap about scale now. I'm shocked to see screw holes on the side of the Gunship, that seems kinda sloppy. The spider droid, as jeddah mentioned, does appear to be too much of a dink for the $10 pricepoint.

I am split on my opinions of this new packaging, part of me doesn't like it at all while the other half doesn't care. ;) I will give you this though, Hasbro has finally found a package that shows off the item inside enough. I dunno, it doesn't seem anything like Action Fleet anymore though, the packaging reminds me more of bland die cast cars like those from Corgi.

cloneemperor, the things in the Zam box are the crash-damaged alternate front end pieces.

cloneemperor
01-20-2003, 11:32 PM
I see. Thanks. (Was kind of hoping it would be a figure):(

Jedi Idej
01-20-2003, 11:37 PM
The bubble shell is probably being done to shave costs. They display more nicely, but hopefully for those of you who keep packaged sets, they don't show off dings any more than the boxed variety.

The spider droid is laughable. I thought Hasbro couldn't get worse than the Solar Sailer.

Great detail on the gunship and airspeeders. But...

I can understand if the gunship is a little undersized. And slightly larger-than-scale airspeeders are acceptable. But these are seem way too huge. The magnetic-force-key chain thingies are larger than AF scale, yet they're dwarfed by these two versions.

britcit3
01-21-2003, 02:30 PM
Hello all

I just got an email from Dave @ dns toys.

He is expecting wave 4 around mid February.

Here's counting the days !!

Cheers

Bc3

neonblade
01-21-2003, 02:42 PM
I'm scared guys! That republic gunship and spider-droid look to small! I hope they are bigger than they look. The two new hotrod looks like they are a little to big! :rolleyes: Well we'll just have to see

good shot jansen
01-21-2003, 05:01 PM
i just gave dave roberts a phone call over at d&stoys. a very nice man to speak with indeed!

he is not set up as of yet to receive pre-orders on any of the wave 4 action fleet. he is awaiting proper prefix codes and such from hasbro.

he did indicate that he is expecting to receive the shipping information from hasbro very soon now, with an expected delivery date of merchandise to his location sometime in february, maybe as late as the beginning of march.

he will make sure that he orders plenty of the action fleet, he indicated to me, that due to the recent e-mail inquireries about this next wave, he will make sure that his order will be of sufficient quantities to supply the masses.

he said he would drop me a line as soon as he had the right information from hasbro to allow acceptance of orders for this action fleet wave.

obviously, as soon as i hear from him, y'all hear from me!:)

Jangu Fett
01-21-2003, 05:43 PM
The RGS is smaller then I thought it would be, but still looks just big enough for mini figures. As for the 2 Airspeeders, yeah they are bigger then needed, but remember not all of the AF was made to scale. The A-Wing was oversized. If going by the model for the films. The pilot looked cramped in that cockpit.

With these new ships except for the HSD. I'm impressed. I'm starting to think Hasbro may actually release mini-figures packs. But, If they don't. JT, I really hope the petition works again.

Jangu Fett
01-21-2003, 07:55 PM
Good new Neonblade. The RGS cockpit does open. Go to Yakface.com, click on the RGS. Then click on the Top Angle 2 pic. You can see a hinge at the front of it. Let's prey the mini-figures will follow soon;)

neonblade
01-22-2003, 04:24 PM
jangu it's deffinate that the cockpit opens but the size. I am so scared. I don't want to be dissapointed again.

Jangu Fett
01-22-2003, 06:44 PM
Trust me, I understand you being scared. I don't want the RGS to go the way of the Solar Sailer or AT-TE. But, looking at the photo, I'm led to believe it big enough for mini-figures.

If its not big enough, Hasbro won't hear the end of it from the TRUE AF fans;)

neonblade
01-22-2003, 06:53 PM
Jangu you are a true AF Fan. Along with me and many others who don't want keep them up on a shelf where u might glance at them for a sec in the morning or when ever. Afs are TOYS- HASBRO!!! You have an obligation to keep this series as great as the old ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jangu Fett
01-22-2003, 08:41 PM
Thanks NB. As I stated a number of times before, one of my favorite things to do is play with the AF. Out in the yard, with my son. We had one heck of a time looking for a stormtrooper, that got lost in the snow. We did find the trooper. Almost a hour later.

Anyway, I was just as worried, as you, about the fate of the AF mini-figs. Just look at some of my past posts. But after seeing the new sets. Something said "Hasbro's bringing back the AF figures". I was so excited, but I don't want to get my hopes to high. Just to havce them shattered. So, I'm trying to keep calm. Toy Fair is coming up, and we'll see what Hasbro has in store for the AF. And JediTricks said that he has a plan to reveal, or hint, at whether or not we'll see AF mini-figs. All we can do is wait, hope and see.

Toy Fair is next month, right???:confused:

cloneemperor
01-23-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah it is. The weekend of Feb 15 and 16.

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Idej
The magnetic-force-key chain thingies are larger than AF scale, yet they're dwarfed by these two versions. I put an Obi-Wan AF minifig in the Force Link Ani Speeder and he's the right size (too bad it's not hollow so he can get INSIDE instead of just on top), so I'm calling that one "in-scale", but Force Link Zam's speeder is way too small to be in scale (you have to keep in mind that Zam's speeder is a 2-seater and bigger than Ani's speeder in the film).

The AF Ani speeder looks way out of scale, but the Zam speeder doesn't look as bad to me.

Jangu, I hope the same thing and I'll be on Hasbro about this soon.

sicqnus
01-23-2003, 09:05 AM
A new pic have surfaced on the cargo bay yesterday.
- a better picture of the Homing spider dro´d.

Wave 4 is now available for preorder at DNSToys...
:D

-------------------------------------------------------------------

good shot jansen
01-23-2003, 11:51 AM
as indicated by sicqnus in the above post, wave 4 is now available for on-line pre-ordering from D & S toys (http://www.dnstoys.com/)

dave expects to be able to ship this wave out sometime around mid-february.

Jedi Idej
01-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
I put an Obi-Wan AF minifig in the Force Link Ani Speeder and he's the right size (too bad it's not hollow so he can get INSIDE instead of just on top), so I'm calling that one "in-scale", but Force Link Zam's speeder is way too small to be in scale (you have to keep in mind that Zam's speeder is a 2-seater and bigger than Ani's speeder in the film).

The AF Ani speeder looks way out of scale, but the Zam speeder doesn't look as bad to me.

I agree the force link for Anakin's is close enough.

I'm basing my measurements on visuals so I'm not sure how far off I am.

From the movie and Hasbro's 3-3/4" line, I calculate the speeders are between 3-4 Zams long. :D That should translate to around 3 - 4 AF mini-figs, requiring the speeders to be between 3-1/4" and around 4-1/2" to be in scale. (That would make Zam's force link to be under-sized, wouldn't it?)

Hopefully you're right, though, about the new ships.

SWAFMAN
01-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Speaking of the Hasbro 3-3/4" line, the EP2 speeder cars from that line were going for $7 on clearance at my local Walmart yesterday (Wednesday).

AndyW
01-24-2003, 03:21 AM
Just ordered wave 4, wahey, this is the one I've been waiting for :D

sergiurusu
01-24-2003, 04:24 AM
I read on rebelscum that Hasbro will release some sets of minifigs soon. Do you know something about this?

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 04:29 AM
I know enough not to trust rumors or employees of Hasbro who don't speak the official word. :D However, that is what one of the Hasbro employees told SSG last year at SDCC (though Hasbro refused to confirm or deny it). I'm now taking it with a grain of salt because I don't trust Hasbro after their official reps told me one day that the AF Star Destroyer was coming soon and the next day the whole AF line was cancelled. :frus:

Idej, 3 Zams sounds too small when thinking about Anakin on the nose of the ship, but I bet that's right because the back is insignificant compared to the front. How many Zams would an ISD be though? :D

Glitch
01-24-2003, 12:39 PM
JT,

You hit it on the nose. There are different stories from week to week coming out of Hasbro. NEVER trust any single employee. We are kept, for the most part, clueless. The 3.75" figure division is VERY smooth running, but everything else...... :crazed:

In short, I doubt we will see mini figs with the vehicles any time soon. As for the Gunship, the AT-TE had an opening cockpit too, but, as you know, this does not always mean mini fig compatable.

Jangu Fett
01-24-2003, 06:03 PM
Why, doesn't Hasbro get it???? WE WANT THE ACTION FLEET MINI-FIGURES. Is it that hard to understand?? I'm sorry, but I thought we were speaking English. Or did everyone lapse into Huttesse????

Well, JT. You heard it, pretty much, right from Hasbro. I think that petition is needed. Or we'll never see the Af mini-figs.

Jedi Idej
01-25-2003, 05:17 PM
How many Zams would an ISD be though? :D

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll pop?

The world may never know.

SWAFMAN
01-25-2003, 10:31 PM
...How many Zams would an ISD be though? :D

I don't know.

However....

In a more general sense, if you accept the commonly-cited statistic that the average human is 1.7 meters tall, and the specifications from this (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~bwylie/supersd.htm) site, which says the SSD is 8000 meters long, then an SSD would be approx. 4706 "Zams" long.

:p

JediTricks
01-26-2003, 06:59 PM
Atsa lotta Zams! :D

1.7 meters is only 67 inches; is the average human 5'7"? I know 6' is about 1.82m, that's Han's height.

sicqnus
01-27-2003, 04:00 AM
- Wot ?!? :eek:
- Well I'm just wondering how many Kubriks long would be a StarDestroyer.
- What to do ???
Tell me the truth : You've smoked Afghan grass, didn't you ? :confused:
- Not at all, I'm just thinking about the mini-figures :frus:
- The mini-what ?
- Do you know the Action Fleet, you know... StarWars !
- The Action-what ?
- Aoh, man I'm so sorry I canno't loose my time with somebody who didn't know StarWars. I must go, bye. :zzz:

- Hey !... Hey!... HEY !!!!
Don't you know you're sick in the head !
You are man !
You really are !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:confused:

jeddah
01-27-2003, 03:13 PM
Oh dear [backing away slowly]

sicqnus
01-29-2003, 08:18 AM
New and better picture of Zam's speeder including a view of the damaged panels on.
Very cool item !

sicqnus
01-29-2003, 08:21 AM
The "borrowed" senatorial speeder.

AndyW
01-29-2003, 10:00 AM
Zams speeder looks promising, nice little ship. Anakins speeder doesn't look as good though, can't quite put my finger on it, but it just looks wrong somehow.

Hawkwind
01-29-2003, 10:22 AM
WOW!! zams speeder looks seriously cool , Andy ,i agree anakins speeder looks a bit un/action fleety for some reson and i dont like the massive sterring collum although we cant tell how big it is untill the release it.

Jangu Fett
01-29-2003, 12:55 PM
From those photos they look big enough for mini-figs. To bad, we won't see any AF figures, any time soon:(

AndyW
01-29-2003, 02:15 PM
Its not so much that its non-action fleety, it just looks like the wrong proportions from the designs in my Ep2 incredible cross sections book thats all.

Might just be me though :D

JediTricks
01-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Zam's speeder looks really good, the best rendition of this vehicle to date. If it held a Zam mini-figure, that'd be a nearly-perfect post-Hasbro-buyout Action Fleet set.

As for Ani's speeder, it did have that thick steering column. However, the engines seem too squat and maybe it's the photo angle but the vehicle itself looks too tall under the mid-line... maybe above too.