PDA

View Full Version : A Sound of Thunder

Battle Droid
01-20-2003, 09:10 AM
From, http://www.crusaderentertainment.com/crusader/inproduction/

In the not too distant future, scientist Travis Ryer finances his research in the potentials of time travel technology by leading expeditions of burned-out billionaires who pay thousands of dollars for the opportunity to hunt extinct creatures of the past.

These hunts are fairly routine, however, one afternoon their guns malfunction, and the team barely makes it back alive. When Travis returns to the past the following day, the time portal computer, TAMI, is gong haywire - volcanoes are exploding, and dinosaurs are dying. Then when Travis returns to the present, he discovers other more ominous signs that something is amiss: Files are missing from his computer, the weather has turned strange, and strange plant life is sprouting up around New York City. Travis suspects that somehow he and his team must have corrupted the timeline.
This belief is confirmed when Travis tracks down Allison, the inventor of modern time travel, just as a ‘Time Wave’ rolls through New York city. Instantly, swarms of bugs overwhelm New York. Whole buildings disappear. People cease to exist. Enlisting Allison’s help, Travis deduces that one of the self-indulgent billionaires must have brought a butterfly back from the past, despite dire warnings against this.

This butterfly must have been an ecological hinge point, Travis surmises, and now the current ecosystem is in jeopardy. Humanity may cease to exist. Travis, Allison and their team set out across a New York landscape now rife with thick jungle and dangerous, never-before-seen predators, determined to track down the stolen butterfly. Once found, they must bring it back to the cretaceous period before the last time wave hits, and man’s mark is forever swept from the face of the Earth.

From, http://www.bbc.co.uk/wiltshire/going_out/films_and_tv/guy_diver.shtml

Guy Drayton (stunt diver) has just returned from Prague where his skills were enlisted for the forthcoming dinosaur time travel movie - A Sound of Thunder starring Ben Kingsley and Ed Burns.

He said: "Most of my stuff involved a scene in a flooded subway where Ed Burns and Catherine McCormack's characters are attacked by a dinosaur. That is going to be a good film."

James Boba Fettfield
01-20-2003, 11:37 AM
That sounds like a Ray Bradbury story I read before.

Battle Droid
01-20-2003, 11:51 AM
That sounds like a Ray Bradbury story I read before.

It's based off of his short story A Sound of Thunder.

James Boba Fettfield
01-20-2003, 01:09 PM
I love that story. Ever since, I've been pretty interested in time travel both in fiction and in the real world. It's cool to see a movie like this being made. You can never have enough of these kinds of movies.

JediTricks
01-20-2003, 10:03 PM
I hope this doesn't get Hollywoodized into some brain-dead action vehicle meant to spawn a franchise. Probably not though, it doesn't have Jeff Goldblum or Sam Neil. :D

On the flip side of that coin, I hope it doesn't come off too weird for the masses to get into a la "12 Monkeys".

2-1B
01-21-2003, 01:46 AM
IMDb credits Gregory Poirier with a rewrite on this movie . . . he wrote and directed Tomcats - but he also has a writing credit for Rosewood (so it's not ALL bad :D ).

:)