PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else been lucky enough to see "28 Days Later?"

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2003, 11:21 AM
Disclaimer: this isn't a sequel to the Sandra Bullock movie. :crazed:

Wow, just wow. I heard about this movie through some fellow George Romero fans and had to check it out. If you have a fetish for Romero's living dead flicks, i HIGHLY recommend you check this out. I think it's been out in the UK since early November and the US date is still pending, but my interest got the best of me and i just dl off Kazaa. The last half an hour are some of the most tense and exciting scenes i've ever seen. Great acting, superbly shot and a soundtrack that i'm going to toss out the extra coinage to order from the UK Amazon site. A masterpiece.

Just thought i'd share and see if any fellow SSG posters had caught this flick! cheers! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-21-2003, 12:22 PM
From what I remember reading about this movie, it sounded like "the man's" living dead movies. Except it's a virus (I think?) that is to blame instead of an unknown source like Romero's movies. Now does this movie start after there's only a few survivors left (like Day of the Dead), or does it begin with how it all happens and shows the fall of man to the virus' effects. Yeah, another question. How is the social commentary in the film? Is there any at all, or is it just a good horror movie? You're answers to these questions may persuade to seek this movie out.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2003, 12:39 PM
JBFF- First off, be happy i'm taking the time to reply to you. "Bad Band of the Day- Radiohead" I"ll just take it you cannot see the brilliance and power of the band, so i'll just go under the influence you were hit with something in the head during a riot this weekend at OSU and are feeling ill. :crazed: hehehehehehe just foolin!!

The film starts off before and after the virus hits. It's a virus transmitted to a group of animal rights activists when then try to free some monkey's that are being studied. Ignoring the warning of a researcher, they do it anyway. Flash forward to 28 days later when one of the main characters, Jim, awakens in an abandonded hospital and this is where the story starts. From where the characters journey in the film, you see the effects of the madness. So, in a way, the film has a "day of the dead" like atmosphere, where there are only a few survivors we meet along the way, but there are masses of "infected" (the term zombie never appears once in the film). However, it is pretty unfair to compare these films to the works of Romero cause he invented that genre, this is just expanding it's horizon. There will be comparisons made to his movies for years to come.

There is a fair amount of social commentary in places, mostly about loss and regret and whatnot, but it's also a very good horror film. I encourage you to "seek it out" and watch it. You won't regret it.

On a side note, Anchor Bay has confirmed a "Dawn of the dead" special edition 3 disc set due out in October and a "Day of the Dead" 3 disc set due out in Aug. Why they decided to release these out of order, God only knows, but i'm happy, because my VHS copies are getting worn out. Cheers! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-21-2003, 01:09 PM
I changed it to Sum 41, sorry to offend. I just listen to music from a different time, which isn't considered brilliant by any means, unless you consider Dream Theater brilliant, like a lot of people do. Now to the movie at hand:

It sounds like a movie I would enjoy to watch. I didn't mean to compare the works of Romero to this film, I just wanted to get an idea what kind of state the world is in by putting it next to the Dead trilogy (which may soon become whatever you call a series of movies with 4 parts).

The movie does sound like it contains commentary on society, but I'd have to see it to know for sure. As for the Romero films....I knew about those due to our good JJB at Steve's other message board. Here's what he told me about it straight from Anchor Bay:

DAWN OF THE DEAD - Fall/Winter 2003

George Romero's masterpiece is coming back to DVD in a big way. Featuring newly re-mastered widescreen transfers (16x9 enhanced), new DTS & Dolby EX Surround Sound, all-new cast & crew interviews, all-new audio commentary tracks, trailers, poster & still galleries and more! Available separately will be the original Theatrical Version and the Extended (Director's Cut) Version. Also available will be a special multi-disc box set including an exclusive presentation of the ZOMBI version of the film from Europe. Expect more announcements in the coming months, and please note all features at this point are tentative and subject to change. Closed Captioned for the Hearing Impaired.

DAY OF THE DEAD - August 2003

The third film in George Romero's Living Dead saga is getting the 2 disc special edition treatment with all-new special features including interviews, audio commentary, and behind-the-scenes footage. Also there will be new DTS-ES & Dolby EX audio. Expect more announcements in the coming months, all please note and features at this point are tentative and subject to change. Closed Captioned For The Hearing Impaired.

It's finally good to see these on DVD so I can replace my current Dawn dvd and Day VHS, and they'll look good next to the superb Millennium Edition of Night. Good stuff abounds.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2003, 01:15 PM
JBFF- Yeah, i was just playing with ya about Radiohead. There are bands that i don't enjoy either, but sum 41 is a band that we can both join forces and despise. :D

I took/meant no offense by saying it's wacky to compare it to Romero as i did as well. It's just something any zombie fan does when he hears about new flicks of the genre! I compared "Resident Evil" to Romero (he sooooooo should've directed it, his scipt was awesome) on many levels and while RE was a flick i enjoyed immensley, it'll never top the Living Dead films.

As for "living dead 4" (Dusk, Twilight of the dead?) i hope that gets a definite go ahead. Last i heard, 20th century FOX was picking it up, but lord knows how many rumors i've heard over the years. Lastly , i'm going tp PM you a link to the site of the film in case you haven't found it yet. I suggest navigating the site and finding the official trailer. cheers!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-21-2003, 01:33 PM
You're the only person I know to love/like these movie like I do. My brother (Lord Malakite) likes to mock Dawn for the dead make up in it, which I tried to explain to him why it was that way, but he still attacks the film. About that last Dead film, last I heard it was supposed to be R rated, released by Fox, and have a $10 million dollar budget with the tentative title, Dead Reckoning. I just hope Romero brings back his magic, which I have no doubts to, since his last film (Bruiser) was such a good movie in my eyes. But back to 28 Days Later, I'm definitely interested and will look into seeing this film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Yeah, we "Living Dead" groupies are few and far in between. However, when/if another dead movie comes out, we'll be out in full force; much like the hordes of masses of the undead. (JMG kicks himself for the lame joke). I can't really even try to explain to people why these flicks are great. They just work on so many levels. There is some humor, social commentary, horror and adventure. NOTLD is a great beginning followed by the awesome Dawn. This is easily my favorite of the series. Where the Zombies have trouble with that escalator at Monroeville Mall, brilliant!! Day is very very underrated in my opinion, but i still love it. (I love how Gorillaz use blips from Dawn and Day in some of their songs) I think people believe that the word "zombie" implies a simple shoot'em up gore flick, but there much more. These things are evil, they're simply acting on instinct, which i think is a definite difference from most zombie films.

as for the DVD's, do you also recommend the elite? I got my birthday coming up and decided to ask for a copy of NOTLD, but there are so many bad versions. Like the 30th anniversary edition with the "added" footage. HORRIBLE. had it not been rented, i would've tossed it from my reynoldsburg apartment onto I-70 eastbound into traffic. :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-21-2003, 02:05 PM
Yeah, avoid that 30th Anniversary garbage. I would recommend the Elite version of it. When I first got into dvd's, I bought a copy of Night on dvd without knowing that some dvd's had better transfers, sound, and whatnot. Let's just say I got my $5 worth of that copy. The Elite version is so much better, I cannot stress that enough. There's a lot of extras, but I didn't give much thought to them. I just wanted a good copy of the damn movie. The movie is perfect. The picture is so clear, it is the best transfer of the movie you will ever find. Then there is the THX approved sound in 5.1. Sweet God, is it nice. The sound comes through just as clear as the picture. Simply put, before this DVD was released, not a single person had seen the movie in such a wonderful way. It is that good. It's the exact film Romero filmed in the 60's, with nothing added and nothing taken away. I was more than pleased by how well this DVD was handled. But if you're looking for extras, commentary, and such....I know its on there, but I've never really checked it out. I just watched the Night of the Living Bread parody on it, and didn't do anymore extra watching/listening.