PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Obi-Wan Force-Pull Jango's blasters?

Darkross
01-21-2003, 11:35 AM
When Obi-Wan meets Jango on the landing platform...why didn't Obi-Wan force-pull Jango's blaster from his hands?

(Keep in mind that yes...it would have changed the whole action sequence...)

Pendo
01-21-2003, 12:26 PM
A few reasons spring to mind:

a) It would be a crappy fight sequence if he did that,

b) There would be absolutley no fight sequences what so ever if a Jedi used the force every 10 seconds to stop a fight from happening,

c) George needed to write a fight sequence to show off Jango's skills (or to show off ILM's use of CGI :rolleyes: ),

d) I think George would have gotten slated by all the fans if he kept doing stuff like this throughout the movie to avoid fight scenes,

e) Why didn't Mace Windu use toe force to take Jango's weapons?

f) Why didn't every Jedi in the arena use the force to take every weapon of every droid?

g) (my serious answer) I think Jango was firing his blasters too rapidly for Obi-Wan to even get a chance to take them off him. All Obi-Wan could do was defend himself. Even if Obi-Wan took Jango's weapons, he would then be caught off guard for Jango to get him with his flame thrower.

PENDO!

Beast
01-21-2003, 03:53 PM
Your answer is in Empire Strikes Back. Yes, Vader did pull Han's blaster from him. But not before Han got off a few shots at him. And while Vader can take a few shots, I doubt that Obi-Wan could survive being shot full of holes by Jango while he's attempting to force pull his blasters. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Har Binks

mini-rock
01-21-2003, 04:31 PM
I agree with both Pendo & JJB. Jango was unloading shots too fast for Obi-Wan to do anything, and even had too roll out of the way to avoid being hit by the shots he couldn't block.

Jedi Outcast II shows a perfect example of how a Jedi can be hit by several laser blasts while trying to block with a lightsaber, and trying to force pull a foes weapon.

Vader on the other hand has mechanical hands and that was how he was able to block Han's laser blasts, and at the same time force pull his blaster.

The Overlord Returns
01-21-2003, 04:49 PM
hmph, whattaya know...I always assumed Vader was actually force pushing the blasts to block them.

I'll go with JJB's answer, with the real fact of the matter being that the movies action sequences would blow hard if that's how they always went down.

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 04:34 AM
The answer is so much simplier guys: tight grip!

-or-

The answer is so much simplier guys: sticky gloves!

:D

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:43 AM
*Resists strong urges to make comment about Jango's Sticky Gloves* :D

"Move along. Nothing to see here." :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-23-2003, 05:50 AM
It's mentioned somewhere in the novel, I can't remember exactly what it says but during the fight, it says that all Obi-Wan is able to do is block Jango's blasts defensively, if you notice, he isn't deflecting them at Jango.
Jango's onslaught is so fierce that all Obi-Wan can do is deflect them anywhere and defend himself.
I guess Obi-Wan got caught up in the heat of the moment and didn't have time to use the force pull because before he could say the words "Jedi Knights love blue milk", Jango was firing at him with 2 blasters and then jetting off in his Jetpack. :)

Darkross
01-23-2003, 11:32 AM
True...but if you notice...Obi-wan has time to ignite his lightsaber before Jango starts blasting him...so with that said...he did have time to force-pull them. Yes...had he done so...it would have been a pretty boring fight scene. I just love it when the force is used to push or pull people or objects.

As far as Vader is concerned...I always thought that either he was force pushing the laser bolts to stop them...or that he was using the force some-other way just to block them. I don't think it had anything to do with his mechanical arms. He was just that powerful...IMO!

Anakin2121
01-23-2003, 04:16 PM
You can't actually control the direction the deflected bolts go, however. They just bounce off at a random angle, and it's sheer luck when the bolt goes back to its firer. :D

Bobajames
01-23-2003, 04:40 PM
yes you can... there's an entire lightsaber form almost completely dedicated to deflecting blaster shots. When jedi's have time to concentrate they can deflect them. Otherwise, how did Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan hit all those battle droids with their own shots in Ep. 1?

Anakin2121
01-23-2003, 05:50 PM
Form III is dedicated for defense, yes, and not as good against lightsabers...but simply stopping the bolts is difficult enough. I figure in Ep1, the droids died simply because they were right in front of them. You'll note that not so many droids in the arena are felled by their own blasts. :)

mini-rock
01-23-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Darkross
True...but if you notice...Obi-wan has time to ignite his lightsaber before Jango starts blasting him...so with that said...he did have time to force-pull them. Yes...had he done so...it would have been a pretty boring fight scene. I just love it when the force is used to push or pull people or objects.

True true, but if you watch the film again you will see that Obi-Wan is all the way across the platform when Jango begins firing on him. Just from watching the films and playing the games I believe a Jedi has to be a little closer to his opponent than that.:)

As far as Vader is concerned...I always thought that either he was force pushing the laser bolts to stop them...or that he was using the force some-other way just to block them. I don't think it had anything to do with his mechanical arms. He was just that powerful...IMO!

I respect your take on that scene, and everyone else's, but watch the film again. It's clear as day Vader blocked the blasts with his robotic hands.:)

Originally posted by Anakin2121
I figure in Ep1, the droids died simply because they were right in front of them.

The scene where Obi-Wan is running from the STAP, after the Jedi land on Naboo, Qui-Gon deflects it's laserblasts right back, and they were a good distance away.

You'll note that not so many droids in the arens are felled by their own blasts.

Next time you watch the battle of Geonosis focus on whats going on in the background. There are plenty of droids falling from being hit by their own blasts. The scene where 3-PO gets the Battledroid head knocked off his body from a Jedi blocking the laserblast and sending it right back at him. That's just one of many.:)

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 04:44 AM
As far as Vader is concerned...I always thought that either he was force pushing the laser bolts to stop them...or that he was using the force some-other way just to block them. I don't think it had anything to do with his mechanical arms. He was just that powerful...IMO! I totally agree, I never took it any other way.

mini-rock, I believe the deflection using the Force was merely using Vader's hand as the reference point. We've seen blaster bolts rip through droids several times before.

There's one scene in the beginning of Ep 1 where I believe it's Obi-Wan who uses the tip of his lightsaber to send blaster bolts back to the battle droids who fired them. That scene is cool.

mini-rock
01-24-2003, 07:01 AM
So now when someone uses the force to block laserblasts sparks shoot out from the blast impact? And if Vader used the force why is there smoke coming from his hands like they were burnt? Even my 6 year old daughter gets it. I'm starting to wonder if you guy's have ever even seen ESB.:p:p:p

I can see how many people misinterpret that scene, but like I said before it's clear as day. Go watch it.:)

Darkross
01-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
There's one scene in the beginning of Ep 1 where I believe it's Obi-Wan who uses the tip of his lightsaber to send blaster bolts back to the battle droids who fired them. That scene is cool.

Yes...that scene is awesome...one my favorites. I love the one where he's covering Qui-Gon...and deflects a couple of bolts from behind him. Obi-Wan is so awesome with the lightsaber in Episode I. I enjoyed his lightsaber scenes in Episode I better than in Episode II.

Originally posted by mini-rock
True true, but if you watch the film again you will see that Obi-Wan is all the way across the platform when Jango begins firing on him. Just from watching the films and playing the games I believe a Jedi has to be a little closer to his opponent than that.

I think it all depends on how powerful the force-user is. Look how far away Yoda was from Luke's xwing in ESB...it was completely covered by water...and he must have been at least 200 feet or more from the edge of the swamp and yet he force-pulled it out of the swamp. You can see how far Yoda pulled the ship when he lands it next to he and Luke. Size matters not...only how powerful you are...limits your range...IMO!

mini-rock
01-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Yes...that scene is awesome...one my favorites. I love the one where he's covering Qui-Gon...and deflects a couple of bolts from behind him. Obi-Wan is so awesome with the lightsaber in Episode I. I enjoyed his lightsaber scenes in Episode I better than in Episode II.

I think it all depends on how powerful the force-user is. Look how far away Yoda was from Luke's xwing in ESB...it was completely covered by water...and he must have been at least 200 feet or more from the edge of the swamp and yet he force-pulled it out of the swamp. You can see how far Yoda pulled the ship when he lands it next to he and Luke. Size matters not...only how powerful you are...limits your range...IMO!

Ah yes. I was thinking about that too. However force pulling a weapon and using the force to lift a ship out of water with nobody firing on you and no real sense of urgency are completely different. I will agree it all depends on powerful the user is with the force, but those are 2 completely different circumstances.

I think you guys are starting to get to the point where you are reaching for anything to justify your view, but keep the debate going. I have no loife and this is the only fun I get to have.;):):p:D:crazed:

Darkross
01-24-2003, 04:09 PM
Not necessarily...I think it has to do with calming your mind...and drawing on the force. But this probably goes back to the fact that Jar Jar mentioned that Obi-Wan didn't have time to quiet his mind...either way...Jango was quick on the draw. I just wish that we could see more force pulling and pushing of objects (other than their lightsabers) by the Jedi...in Episode II.

mini-rock
01-24-2003, 05:28 PM
There was more force pushing in EPII. Anakin on the conveyor(sp?) belt, many Jedi in the arena background, Mace Wndu forced pulled his saber, and so did Obi-Wan before Jango took him for a ride. Anakin in Padme's apartment with the ball, Kit Fisto in the Jedi arena, Yoda in the hangar, Obi-Wan in the hangar, and more I'm sure. There was more force push/pulling in EP2 than all the of the OT films combined.

Darkross
01-27-2003, 11:27 AM
Well...I suppose...I forgot about the droid factory...boy my head is swimming right now. I need to watch AOTC again...for the 30th or so time...and need to pay more attention this time.

mini-rock
01-27-2003, 02:08 PM
I need to watch AOTC again...for the 30th or so time

I watched it AGAIN yesterday and just can't get over how magnificent this movie is. :D

Anakin2121
01-27-2003, 04:19 PM
And Dooku pushed Anakin after freeing him of the burden that was his arm. :)

Darkross
01-28-2003, 11:45 AM
And Dooku pushed Anakin after freeing him of the burden that was his arm. :)

HAHAHA! I still hate the particular scene...why on earth does Anakin all of a sudden change from a two handed grip on his lightsaber to a single-handed grip?

Anakin2121
01-28-2003, 01:55 PM
I don't recall that. I though Anakin had both hands on the saber, and Dooku just slipped his blade beneath Anakin's defenses and sliced him through the underside.

mini-rock
01-31-2003, 03:29 AM
No, it looked like Anakin got caught by surprise when Dooku turned in to strike, and panicked by letting go of his saber, and backing up a bit giving Dooku the opportunity to take Anakin's arm. Luckily for Anakin, Dooku only took his arm when he had the chance to slash him from groin to skull considering how open he was.

Darkross
01-31-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by mini-rock
No, it looked like Anakin got caught by surprise when Dooku turned in to strike, and panicked by letting go of his saber, and backing up a bit giving Dooku the opportunity to take Anakin's arm. Luckily for Anakin, Dooku only took his arm when he had the chance to slash him from groin to skull considering how open he was.

I know...but that had to be because Dooku never planned on killing him...just to teach him a valuable lesson. We know this because at the end of AOTC when he says to Sidious...the boy has begun (I presume he means begun his journey to the darkside!).

Jedi Clint
01-31-2003, 12:35 PM
I know...but that had to be because Dooku never planned on killing him...just to teach him a valuable lesson. We know this because at the end of AOTC when he says to Sidious...the boy has begun (I presume he means begun his journey to the darkside!).

Huh? Dooku said "the war has begun".

mini-rock
01-31-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Clint
Huh? Dooku said "the war has begun".

Yes, "the war has begun" is what Dooku said.

I will agree though Darkross that Dooku did not want to kill Anakin.:)

Darkross
02-03-2003, 11:35 AM
What????

Everytime I watch AOTC...I swear Dooku is saying the Boy has begun...but I suppose it would make more sense if he said The War has begun though.

The first time I saw the movie...I thought it sounded really dumb when I thought Dooku said..."the boy has begun!"...but later interpreted it to mean that Anakin had started his journey to the darkside...however when I think of it now...if Dooku had said that...he must have known that Anakin would eventually replace him. Anyway...thanks for clearing that up.