PDA

View Full Version : 2003: Time to beat the EU dead horse again!

El Chuxter
01-21-2003, 04:44 PM
It's a non-movie year, so it's time to dust off the pleas for Expanded Universe figures once again. At a time when your silly gimmicks have alienated more than one completist, this could be (combined with the elimination of the gimmicks and the use of better quality plastics) the way to get some of them back in the fold, so to speak.

In past non-movie years, we've gotten a vast array of EU treasures and garbage. On the one hand, we've been privileged (not) enough to have the Cruisemissile Trooper, the Desert Sport Skiff, and the Gungan Mini-Sub, among others. Wipe those from your mind. Instead, meditate primarily on the EU line from 1998 and your brief flirtation with EU in the short-lived POTJ line. (This line, which lasted just over a year, gave us Deluxe Maul, Sith Training Maul, Jedi Training Obi-Wan, Jedi Training Qui-Gon, "Snowbi-Wan," Rorworr, and Zutton--an excellent show of support, even if they weren't fans top picks.)

We already know that Concept Stormie is on his way soon, so I hope it's safe to assume that there's a distinct possibility of more EU figures this year. A lot of us would like Concept Vader to go with Concept Stormie, but I think a wave or two similar to what you did five years ago would be better.

Most of us want Corran Horn (though we differ on which outfit he should wear), and I think I speak for everyone when I say we want a new Jedi Master Mara Jade (based on the painting from the cover of Vision of the Future). The possibilities for other figures are nearly limitless, and just a cursory glance through these forums will inform you of some of the other popular choices.

Here's a hint: Nym isn't one of them.

Beast
01-21-2003, 04:55 PM
Your getting an entire EU sub-line, with the Clone Wars line that is coming this year. So smile, atleast your getting somthing EUish. So if you want more EU, support the sub-line with all your heart. Sounds like it will have some really cool charecters. :)

While I'm not a huge fan of EU, I do like some of it. But I consider as all pararell universe stories to Georgie's Universe. Especially in such matters as Boba Fett being alive, and Chewbacca dieing for to save a kid, that they killed off later on anyway. And don't get me started how they turned Han into Mr. Mom. :rolleyes:

I do have wants from the EU, specifically a Bothan figure. It's not even really EU, since they are mentioned in ROTJ. And we do have LFL approved charecter designs for the race for the upcoming Star Wars Galaxies MMORPG.

So sure, a EU sub-line would be great. But make it actually a seperate line, and not attached to the movie figures. So that way you won't have to hear the non-EU collectors complaining that they are loosing out on figures, because EU ones are taking their place. It's safer for everyone. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-21-2003, 05:40 PM
I don't care about the non-EU figures complaining.

They don't know what's good for them.

I could make a huge list of characters, but I won't. Just make them!

Jargo
01-21-2003, 06:48 PM
The only real EU is the Ewok movies stories. I want a 12" Gorax with Ewok catching cage. A million Ewoks, Kaink and Chukka Trok etc. Noa and Teek. Marauders and Charal. Mace and Cindel. Ewok pony and Blurrg, Condor dragon. None of this Jedi schmedi nonsense. Proper EU. :)

Darth Evil
02-01-2003, 02:57 PM
I always support a new EU line. I want a Corran Horn Jedi Knight figure!

DarkArtist
02-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Even though this is a non movie year, and Hasbro is known for producing strange if not interesting figures, the idea of that Clone Wars line does sound intriguing and the possiblity of other characters, even the most obscure background characters, is always welcome. However if Hasbro is going to make these figures with those stupid action gimmicks as well as lack of articulation, ie Obi Wan Kenobi Ackla Battle, then in my opinion Hasbro should give up now and wait untill EP III is about to come out.

Rogue II
02-02-2003, 05:10 PM
I'd buy Rogue Squadron figures, especially the pilots and astromech droids. Pilots and their droids could act as both army builders AND EU figures.

El Chuxter
02-03-2003, 12:02 PM
So I take it that the Clone Wars line has been confirmed? I must have missed that.

Jargo
02-03-2003, 01:23 PM
I think someone from hasbro confirmed that it'll be repaints galore and a couple of other EU offerings like the Sith witch and the mandalorian warior and swoop bike. The trade federation re-release is going to come under the clone wars packaging and so are the Geo fighter and halfire droid. It's just a load orf rehash with a different color packaging. Like how Leia as boushh was repackaged on the purple shadows card. And they did Boba fett and IG-88 too right? Weren't they packaged as SOTE? Similar sort of thing but with just a little more thought put into it. At least we get a clean white clonetrooper out of the deal.

It's not really EU though which is another plus. Logical extension is probably better than brand new made up stuff. Pity the Sith witch made it into the mix though. EU would have been a perfect way to get out some of those Coruscant nightclub characters that the official books and source have now named and given bios to. Aay Vida would have been a well cool EU character. In the movie she's a mere gogo dancer but in the official EU she has this backstory that's ridiculous on the one hand but on the other makes her even more appealing as a character. I dunno, maybe she'll be one of the characters in this nightclub screen scene due later this year, unless they repackage yet more Manakins and Obi-Yawns and Spam Vessels. Like we don't have enough of those already. :rolleyes:
I'm kinda leaning on the clone wars line being a good thing if the figures are like collection 2 figures and not gimmicked. Getting the main characters with plain poses and articulation and no gimmicks would make it worthwhile I think.

evenflow
02-06-2003, 02:10 PM
EU ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!

1. Kir Kanos
2. Carnor Jax
3. Guri
4. Leebo
5. Nomi Sunrider
6. Vima Sunrider
7. Ulic-Quel Droma
8. Sharad Hett
9. A'Sharad Hett
10. Exar Kun
11. Master Vodo Baask
etc.......I can go on.

Darth Evil
02-19-2003, 02:56 PM
A line based on Jango and his wacky adventures would be cool. I'd love to see Montross, Komari Vosa, Jaster Mereel and Master Dooku figures.