PDA

View Full Version : New Menu Format - Please Comment

SirSteve
01-21-2003, 07:30 PM
I have made a new Sections Menu site navigation format on the homepage (Where it says News, Community, Collecting, etc). If you would be so kind as to check it out and post your comments so I can decide if it should be added throughout the site.

Thanks.

CloneTrooperMace
01-21-2003, 07:36 PM
I think it looks really great Sir Steve And works better then ever.

Beast
01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
I'm usually not a huge fan of those branching menus, I guess for lack of a better word. But it looks ok. I would keep it just on the front page though, in my opinion. Like you said before, that's where most of the people go first. They can always go back to the front page, if they want to choose another area to explore. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
01-21-2003, 07:37 PM
Oh, and I still have to figure out how to get it to bump up agains the Sections image.... it's being a pain.

SirSteve
01-21-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I'm usually not a huge fan of those branching menus, I guess for lack of a better word. But it looks ok. I would keep it just on the front page though, in my opinion. Like you said before, that's where most of the people go first. They can always go back to the front page, if they want to choose another area to explore. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The main reason we need it is for the interior pages (everything BUT the Homepage) because we ran out of room as you can see above (at the top of the page in the site navigation).

CloneTrooperMace
01-21-2003, 07:43 PM
:D Very nice (I know it's a pain :stupid: becuase I tryed it) But it didn't work. :cry:

Lord Malakite
01-21-2003, 07:43 PM
I think its pretty nice. I like how you can access the various sections of the news, collections, etc. on the main page now instead of going to seperate pages.

Beast
01-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Is there a way to make it actually make it like the front page, but imbeded it in the header bar? Like where you have the links to the different sections now? So it would work more like a pull down menu, instead of placing the box from the front page on every page? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

SirSteve
01-21-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Is there a way to make it actually make it like the front page, but imbeded it in the header bar? Like where you have the links to the different sections now? So it would work more like a pull down menu, instead of placing the box from the front page on every page? :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well, I could but why? If you are going to place your mouse over a link, that means you are wanting to leave that page so what does it matter if it covers any of it up?

Lord Malakite
01-21-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by SirSteve
Well, I could but why? If you are going to place your mouse over a link, that means you are wanting to leave that page so what does it matter if it covers any of it up?

I can kinda see what JarJar is talking about. When someone wants to read something on the page, most people will often move the mouse arrow to the side of the page so it dosen't get in the way. Occasionally they'll move it over the link without realizing it. Then when the bar pops out, they are like "What the?" and "Damn bar!". A minor annoyance.

Beast
01-21-2003, 08:17 PM
No, I don't care if it covers the page. Just astetically it would look better, if it was in the main bar. You can have it work the same way, just when your not looking to change pages, it's in the bar. Sorry, I'm one of those people that prescribe to form over function. And yeah, Lord Malakite has a good point also. ;) :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-21-2003, 08:43 PM
It looks good SirSteve, it's kinda like the Windows Start Menu (which is the best thing Microsoft EVER did :crazed: )
I think it's a definite improvement! :)

Jargo
01-21-2003, 10:36 PM
I hate those darn pop up menus. normally they are so siensitive you barely get chance to move your mouse before the pop up pops away. :mad: The one on the home page is not like that though, more solid and stable. just not that attractive. functional and clinical. Yeah I know you just spent hours tweaking it to get it to work at all. :D I'm not dissin' your work apart from your choice of colors but that's just me, I like lots of color. It works so use it.

Pendo
01-22-2003, 03:04 AM
I like it SirSteve. It looks pretty good :).

PENDO!

sith_killer_99
01-22-2003, 03:30 AM
cool:cool:

Jedi Clint
01-22-2003, 01:42 PM
It works for me.

JediTricks
01-22-2003, 10:58 PM
On my "high-tech" browser (IE5.5), it's ok but I too agree about the choice of colors not being my fav (hmm, maybe I should retract that statement before you ask me what colors I would choose ;)).

On my "low-tech" browser (NS4.04 w/style sheets off) it's a blank space though.

187-Maul
01-23-2003, 07:41 AM
it looks pretty good, and it works alright

CloneTrooperMace
01-28-2003, 09:35 PM
SirSteve
You did a great job in the collections SirSteve.I like what you did to the links above the collections.Cool Pop Downs!!

Beast
01-29-2003, 01:34 AM
Thanks for going with the bar suggestion, Steve. Looks damn good now. As nice as it did before, but with the added functionality of having the brancing pop-up submenu's coming down from the header bar. Looks a lot better then the box idea that was original considered. Two thumbs up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
01-29-2003, 02:32 AM
Yeah, looks GREAT SirSteve :).

PENDO!

JangoFart
01-29-2003, 12:41 PM
It'll do. It does get in the way on the front page, though. The menus themselves need to be larger, as it is too easy to pass over them and click on something on the front page itself.

And, what's the deal with the Member's Collection area changes? (Since nobody has offerred an opinion as of yet.)

J

SirSteve
01-29-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by JangoFart
It'll do. It does get in the way on the front page, though. The menus themselves need to be larger, as it is too easy to pass over them and click on something on the front page itself.

And, what's the deal with the Member's Collection area changes? (Since nobody has offerred an opinion as of yet.)

J

Thanks for all the replies... keep them coming, especially if you are having problems with the menus. As for the Member's Collection area, I just changed the format of the list...

JediTricks
01-30-2003, 07:17 PM
Now that they're on the forums, they still bring up 2 JS errors on every page in Netscape 4.04 but that's a lot more pages for me to view, and the forums are too slow in IE5.5 because each page has to call all the images each time (I think because of the "NoCache" on every page plus the new windows are the wrong size and the new menu takes a moment each page to compile). If there's no way to fix this, I'm afraid my time here will be rapidly drawing to a close because it's way too much of a pain to close all those JS error windows in NS and waaaaaaaay too slow in IE.

btw, here are the JS errors I get:

JavaScript Error: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/stm31.js, line 1200:

syntax error.

ck_win_els(+1,body);
...................^

______and______

JavaScript Error: http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/stm31.js, line 1179:

st_buf has no properties.

JediTricks
02-04-2003, 07:40 PM
In IE5, you can't open the menu selections into a new window anymore. Also, stuff like "Community" doesn't have a simplified link so that when you just click that instead of waiting on the menu to expand it doesn't take you anywhere. I know other sites using this menu system have that.

SirSteve
02-28-2003, 02:03 PM
I have updated the menu. If anyone is still having problems with it, please note it here.

SirSteve
08-15-2003, 11:17 PM
I have updated the menu. If anyone is still having problems with it, please note it here.

I made more changes. Let me know how it goes.... I will be adding a seperator between each menu category soon.

JediTricks
08-18-2003, 03:31 AM
Please find a way to put a header on the View Single Post template of the forums, the new menu is overlapping onto the body of the post without it.

SirSteve
08-18-2003, 11:43 AM
Please find a way to put a header on the View Single Post template of the forums, the new menu is overlapping onto the body of the post without it.

Say what? It works no different than the previous version...

JediTricks
08-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Say what? It works no different than the previous version...Check the screencap. And, in addition to the page I mentioned before, I just found out the nav menu is also on the Manage Attachments page. (you'll have to pardon the image, it was originally 800 wide but the forums limit is 700 so I just cut off the right side of the screen).