PDA

View Full Version : Metroid=Good Movie?

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Straight from the coming soon folks:

Metroid Game Film Rights Picked Up
Wednesday, January 22, 2003 12:31 CST

Variety reports that Zide/Perry Entertainment has acquired the feature rights to video game franchise Metroid. Producers Warren Zide and Craig Perry, who've produced both the "American Pie" and "Final Destination" franchises, are currently going out to writers and directors to adapt the property, to which no talent is attached as yet.

The story is set in a once peaceful galaxy, which has its prosperity shattered by a startling discovery: On a routine mapping expedition of a planet, a survey crew discovers a new airborne life form -- the Metroid. Able to engulf other living beings, feed on their energy, and multiply in great numbers, they prove a terrifying menace. Female bounty hunter Samus Aran is commissioned by the Galactic Federation to eliminate the pests, but she soon discovers that pirates with a stolen Metroid specimen are plotting to breed an build an unstoppable army.

Originally released for the Nintendo game system, each of its incarnations, including "Super Metroid," "Metroid II," and "Metroid Fusion," has been a bestseller on its respective platform. Latest Nintendo release for the Nintendo GameCube, "Metroid Prime," was recognized by GameSpot and GameSpy as 2002's Game of the Year.

http://www.comingsoon.net/cgi-bin/archive/fullnews.cgi?newsid1043217080,46536,

Fulit
01-22-2003, 08:45 AM
If this looks one bit like Final Fantasy did, I'm going to scream. I might scream anyway, I love the Metroid GAMES, but I am so sick of the void of imagination in Hollywood. It's like these execs sit around, and instead of asking, "so, do we have any new ideas?", they ask, "so what old game or tv show or movie can we remake?"

Lord Malakite
01-22-2003, 10:47 AM
I think Metroid could make a good movie, if done properly. Overall, the metroid franchise has a good story that isn't laden with so many details that the directors would have to alienate the movie unintentionally.

If put into the wrong hands however, Metoid will end up the next Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-22-2003, 12:10 PM
As they as they they don't just limit us to the 1st person view like some new Metroid games do!! bleh bleh bleh!!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
As they as they they

You stuttering there, buddy? Besides the first person aspect is cool. Now to the movie, I suppose it is time I share my beliefs. I believe a good movie can be made out of it. The series does follow a plausible story that can be translated into film. Will it be made? I have confidence in it being made. Will it make a good movie? If it is handled correctly, hell yes it would be a cool movie. Hollywood has done worse....House of the Dead I am looking in your direction.

SQueek
01-22-2003, 02:24 PM
there are so many better ideas for movies out there but instead of using thier time, energy and money on them they like to waste it on movies after video games... :confused:

JON9000
01-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Didn't they make this film already? Wasn't it called "ALIENS?"

Ripley, Ridley.... oh, whatever.:rolleyes:

Beast
01-22-2003, 07:06 PM
As long as it's based on the first game, it should be very good. And as long as they take it seriously, and try to actually do a movie and not a video game movie it will kick arse. There are very few movies based on video games that actually work. Resident Evil is a good example of one that works. Because it didn't attempt to just deliver a movie that only people that play the games would enjoy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 04:26 AM
Variety reports that Zide/Perry Entertainment has acquired the feature rights to video game franchise Metroid. Producers Warren Zide and Craig Perry, who've produced both the "American Pie" and "Final Destination" franchises, are currently going out to writers and directors to adapt the property, to which no talent is attached as yet.

Zide/Perry Entertainment has acquired no talent

This post brought to you by the "Can't wait for 'Pong: The Movie - starring Angelina Jolie, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Bob Hoskins' to come out" committee of excellence.

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:34 AM
Final Destination was good, so I'll give some hope for the movie. As long as they leave Samus Arus' armor alone. Leave it ambigious in the movie, like it is in the game. I don't wanna see a pair of huge durasteel knockers added to the front of the armor, just for the teen crowd. God, I don't need to see them make Lara Croft: In Space. God, that movie could have been so much better. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
01-23-2003, 04:43 AM
I just hope they make Mother Brain as animated as she was in the Captain N series. Seriously, could she ever be any better than she was in that cartoon? And Samus better be alone in this movie if it ever happens, I don't want to see her communicating with anyone and being in constant contact with the HQ. And get the guy who wrote the story for Mario Bros. to adapt this. No, seriously, I hope Samus is a lone wolf in this game. I really don't want to see another human in it unless it's like in Super Metroid where you find the body of a guy who thought he could take on Kraid.

mrmiller
01-23-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by James Boba Fettfield
I just hope they make Mother Brain as animated as she was in the Captain N series. Seriously, could she ever be any better than she was in that cartoon? And Samus better be alone in this movie if it ever happens, I don't want to see her communicating with anyone and being in constant contact with the HQ. And get the guy who wrote the story for Mario Bros. to adapt this. No, seriously, I hope Samus is a lone wolf in this game. I really don't want to see another human in it unless it's like in Super Metroid where you find the body of a guy who thought he could take on Kraid.

I'm sure it will be an esnable cast like in Resident Evil or Aliens. They will get picked off one by one, untill only Samus remains to take on the mother brain. There is no way they'd do it with only 1 or 2 characters. The suspense wouldn't be in it if it was only the hero going around blasting monsters.

=MATT=