PDA

View Full Version : And the new deluxe figures are...

Jargo
01-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Dwarf spider droid with wind up and go feature and super battle droid builder set with tub of gloop to mold your own pieces.

I'm not linking because I can't bring myself to. The spider droid looks horrible and the battle droid builder set is just stupid. What a wasteof an opportunity. hate them. That's all i'm writing on these. THRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRP! Hasbro. :zzz:

Master ToNone
01-22-2003, 09:23 AM
A sad day for Hasblah.

Warning, Be Strong: http://starwars.hasbro.com/bountyhunter/repnews_content.cfm?id=100

Trip J
01-22-2003, 09:25 AM
YIKES!! Well, that's another $20.00 I won't be dropping on figures.

LTBasker
01-22-2003, 09:53 AM
Oh goody, Super Battle Droid glob set!

For cryin out loud... the Spider Droid isn't that bad looking, but if that's all there is and it's gonna be a small little thing then I'll definitely uh.. pass on these until at least I can get them at a good price. The SBD is one of the stupidest things they've ever come up with. They should've just done it like the 3PO set. If they think a kid is gonna enjoy easy bake SBD they're definitely wrong, cause once the stuff in that container runs out then the figure's main feature is useless. On top of that, it's just a hollowed out Basic carded version.

Man even the upcoming Deluxe Obi-Wan is better looking than these!

The Overlord Returns
01-22-2003, 09:56 AM
There's nothing wrong with the spider droid, it looks like it did in the film.

The other piece is junk....but oh well, just don't buy it.

Fulit
01-22-2003, 10:03 AM
I could cut a Super Battle Droid into pieces and get out my JB Weld, if I wanted to build my own SBD, Hasbro. Of all the figures that still need to be made, and you're coming out with this crap?

LTBasker
01-22-2003, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
There's nothing wrong with the spider droid, it looks like it did in the film.

True, but as a Deluxe and alone it's bloody stupid, even the Hoth Accessory set tank droid could run over this shortstack!

Princess_Leila
01-22-2003, 10:06 AM
The dwarf spider droid looks just like in the movie! The dec ois simply amazing, one of the best paintworks harbro has done in years. The Lucasfilm design was ver "retro" to start with, so some people may not like it, but this has nothing to do with Hasbro. Hasbro's job is to make the figues as playable and true to the movie as they can, and they really did a fantastic job on the dwarf spider droid. It is very authentic, features amazing deco, and its actions features (probably shoots a missivle from it nose, and the walking action) are simply amazing. This is a FABULOUS toy, possible the best deluxe figure EVER. Just fantastic. I cn't wait to put it next to the hailfire droid and the battle droids.

Of course, I'm quite disapointed with the super battle droid. I was expecting a nice spd who looks like in the movie, and SILVER, as it should be. I find it strange that everybody is craving the red BD, and yet noone mentions that the SPB is NOT BLUE, but silver. And there ARE some tan-brown BD in the arena. Threepio's BD is NOT RED. The right BD and SPD colors can be seen on the box of then Arena playset.

Anyway, I will buy this to make a nicer factory diorama. But the figure? Ouch! It's very bad. And I was hoping that they would correct their previous mistake. Well, better luck next time.

But my god! That dwarf spider droid is fantastic (and kinda cute, also!) IT is number one on my list this year so far. Probably buy two of them. Thank you hasbro! Can't wait to pick it up!

I think that some people here have bought WAY too much SW stuff in the last year. (Over 200$ ? Ouch!) So they are lashing out at Hasbro to relieve their frustration for not being able to control their obsessions. If you get into this hobby with moderation, it is actually quite enjoyable. Hasbro is doing a great job now. I could live without some of the gimmicks (while other don't alter the looks of the figure at all), yet most of the figures look so nice.

Princess_Leila
01-22-2003, 10:17 AM
True, but as a Deluxe and alone it's bloody stupid, even the Hoth Accessory set tank droid could run over this shortstack! [/QUOTE]

That;s a ridiculous argument. This figure for 10 bucks? Hey, remember how expensive basic figures were 3-4 years ago?

So is the Nexu bad too? It's much smaller than the DSD, and comes with no accessories. And the shape is all wrong!!

This droid is not that small, and its walking action is fantastic. Which deluxe figure looks better than this? It's simply the best deluxe figure ever! It is a brand new figure, which looks JUST like the movie, has a fantastic deco, and a walking action (and missile?) Tell me, which deluxe figure looks better than this? The nexu is far from being movie accurate, Yoda is ugly, the Threepio set is nice but a bit boring and the BD is the wrong color, the geonosian warior is ugly and not movie accurate, and the speeder bike and clone trooper is a rehash and not even in the movie. Even the POTJ deluxe figures had crappy deco next to this. And don't even mention the POTF2 deluxe figures. Even the probe droid is plain ugly by today's standard.

The dwarf spider droid is just fabulous. It's the best deluxe saga figure. Wheh collectors bash an exceptionnal figure like this, maybe it's time for them to stop.

Princess_Leila
01-22-2003, 10:19 AM
[/B][/QUOTE]
I think that some people here have bought WAY too much SW stuff in the last year. (Over 200$ ? Ouch!) So they are lashing out at Hasbro to relieve their frustration for not being able to control their obsessions. If you get into this hobby with moderation, it is actually quite enjoyable. Hasbro is doing a great job now. I could live without some of the gimmicks (while other don't alter the looks of the figure at all), yet most of the figures look so nice. [/B][/QUOTE]

I meant 2000$!!

jpak001
01-22-2003, 10:20 AM
I agree with Princess_Leila on this. The SBD set looks lame to me, really just horrible. I doubt very many people will buy this, I think we're looking at the 1st major pegwarmer of '03 here....

Bu the Spider droid looks very nice IMO. I just hope they try to conceal the wind-up knob. I cant see it in this picture, so that's a good sign! :)

LTBasker
01-22-2003, 10:25 AM
I have to agree with ya there, it is done quite well, just the thing that gets me is if depicted truly, we'll be paying $10 for a droid that's shorter than the figures, that comes with NOTHING else.

Here's one main thing that gets me: On all lists that were released, the Dwarf part never showed up until now. Since it was a Deluxe, everybody thought it would be the big Spider Droid just scaled down, but noooo, that was just a ruse to get some fan backing behind it.

Princess_Leila
01-22-2003, 10:59 AM
I always knew that it was the dwarf SD. I don't know where you got the idea that it would be the big one.

Why would the DSD be smaller than a figure? It should be taller for sure. Again, 10$ is not much for a figure of this quality with great deco and full of GREAT gadgets (at last!!). It should be bigger than the nexu anyway. Even if it is small, I would rather have an authentic figure than a beefed up one. The speeder bikes should be MUCH smaller than how they made them. I prefer authenticity over size.

I can't wait to pick it up. It is already my favorite figure of 2003. Well, I havent seen the new Vader with removable helmet yet!

Trip J
01-22-2003, 11:03 AM
I meant 2000$!!

Actually, there IS a decimal point in there. I meant that I won't be dropping the $20 it would cost to buy these two items, that's all.

Generally speaking, I've been pretty disappointed in the deluxe figures, but with the Deluxe Clone, and the Hailfire Droid, I thought they were finally getting it right.

The SBD set just stinks. Terrible. I don't think anymore needs to be said about it.

I agree with everyone who says the Spider Droid looks okay, but I'm not enamored with it, particularly if it is sized the way it looks and comes with nothing else.

Battle Droid
01-22-2003, 11:22 AM
I don't mind the Spider Droid, but the Super Battle Droid Maker is just lame.

Shame on you Hasbro!:sur:

Jargo
01-22-2003, 11:24 AM
Changed my mind about not saying anything more. this is a comparison of the movie version and the Hasbro 'thing'. The Hasbro 'thing' does not look like the movie it's just got a passing resemblence. The eyes are too far apart and the wind up mechanism uses the nose gun and therefore that makes the nose gun way out of scale which ruins the whole attractiveness of the character. it's the face that made it appealing not the fact that it walks. Hasbro have completely trashed this character on the one chance we had to get it. They'll never do another and don't think they will. And they missed off the feet too.
Ruined and trashed. How bloody typical - THANKS RANDY you muppet! :mad:.

Spending money does not necessarily mean obsession just that you have money to burn ;) As someone who spent £3000 last year i can safely say that not all of that spending was because i simply had to have stuff. I just had money and nothing else was wanted so i bought toys to amuse myself with. not to mention that to buy toys i had to spend more because of my location. taxes and import duties etc.

But as a large spender I think I'm entitled to be a little upset when the product is substandard. it's not the end of the world for me it's just an annoyance on top of all the other annoyances. But to think this is a good product says you need to re-examine your own ideas on standards and quality. if you can't recognise junk when you see it then you're in big trouble baby. :p

bobafett07728
01-22-2003, 11:37 AM
I must say. . . after seeing Jargo's attatchment. . . the argument is a open and shut case. The figure sucks. It looked OK to me until I saw the two next to each other. Hasbro really dropped the ball. The nose gun is horrendous. . . really takes away from the overall look of the figure. This is one case where an action gimmick really trashed the figure.

Oh. . . and that Super Battle Droid Kit. . . please. Of course they will produce crap like that, but will cancel other stuff we want. There is NO way that this toy is going to sell. I would be astonished if this SBD Kit doesn't end up on clearance by the truckload.

SirSteve
01-22-2003, 11:57 AM
Why not wait to see more pictures or until you see it in your hands to determine how to scale it is?

As for detail, I think it looks good. As for features, pretty cool.

Princess_Leila
01-22-2003, 12:09 PM
Yeah, it's way out of proportion. But it's still pretty cool I think. I guess it's the missile lauching feature that ruins it.

But remember that it's a toy, and as such, it is still pretty cool. The weathering is nice, and the walking action is cool. These are not scale models. They're toys.

Without action features, SW toys wouldn't ahve been the best-selling toys of the year. Hasbro is in this to make money.

I still think that the DSD is cool, and I can't wait to get it.

Battle Droid
01-22-2003, 12:10 PM
We also have the AWESOME Hailfire Droid coming, which makes up for these two, even though I like the Spider Droid.

bobafett07728
01-22-2003, 12:18 PM
Yes. . . better than nothing at all. . . but the Super Battle Droid thing still sucks.

Prince Xizor
01-22-2003, 12:49 PM
Nothing much more to say about the Super Battle Droid. It sucks. It bites. Put it on the pegs next to the Force Flippers, Deluxe Jango, and Slashing Anakin.

Now, as far as the Spider Droid goes. Look at the honker on that thing, it's HUGE. I will agree with Jargo about how they messed it up, but that's not to say I won't get it. I still kinda like it but as far as movie likeness Hasbro blew it.

Beast
01-22-2003, 01:15 PM
I like the Spider Droid, looks pretty good to me. Yes the nose is a bit big. But looking at the pictures of the actual movie droid I think Hasbro may have had to compromise for safety issues as well. Look at the long and pointed cannon on the Dwarf Droid. We all know how the damn safety of kids always ends up messing somthing up. :)

Plus they gave it a missle firing feature, you can tell by looking at the end of the nose. The notched semi-circle is clearly for inserting a missle. So making the snoot a bit bigger was necissary to incorperate the missle as well. I would have preferred 100% realism, but it's not terrible. :)

As for the Super Battle Droid Builder, I'll wait and see on this one. I like the piece of machinery that molds the chest and head of the SBD. It looks like it can connect to the Arena, Padme: Droid Factory and Deluxe C-3PO sets. And maybe the molding feature will work cool. Doubt it, but I can hope. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
01-22-2003, 01:22 PM
I have enough Play-Doh at home already. If I needed more I'd head over to the part where the sell the Play-Doh, and I'd buy some. I don't need any damned Play-Doh in with my SW figures. I would have much preferred a set of moulded pcs that could be used to make 2 diff droids at the same time, interchangeable like Micronauts or something. This is about as wrong as can be. Not impressed.

TheDarthVader
01-22-2003, 01:30 PM
Spider droid is not all that bad ;)
SBD is kinda suckie suckie :o :confused: :mad:
I might buy the spider droid...maybe...possibly

Lman316
01-22-2003, 01:47 PM
It's nice to see that the Kenner Terminator toy ideas are still being used :rolleyes:. However, that Endoskeleton playset was actually fun. And...well, that wasn't Play-Doh. Okay, so I guess they're not really similar, but that's what I thought of when I first looked at the Battle Droid.

The Spider Droid, especially after seeing EJ's comparison shots, looks like crap. I will (like always, now) wait until I see this thing first hand before I make any final judgements. But it just looks weird.

End...

Banthaholic
01-22-2003, 01:48 PM
I like the Spider Droid, I'd like t see more pics and am currious how they are going to package it.

About the SBD, I'm not going to say anything until I have more to say...

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-22-2003, 02:15 PM
Lman316!!! Curse you!!!!! I was going to use that comparison!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhh!!! Crap!!!! (mike grumbles to himself) :D

Droid thing looks good and the build thing looks alright. To each their own.

Rogue II
01-22-2003, 02:46 PM
I had no intention on buying these in the first place, but...

I keep wishing Hasbro would make more Classic Trilogy Deluxe figures, but if they are going to put out stuff like that, I'm glad they haven't. I will just have to be happy with the Luke w/ Bacta tank and Leia w/ Sailbarge cannon from the good old POTJ days.

bobafett07728
01-22-2003, 03:14 PM
I agree with Rogue II. . . those were two of the best Deluxe figures made. The POTJ Deluxe line was wonderful, too bad it was only four great figures long.

El Chuxter
01-22-2003, 03:18 PM
. . . completely worthless garbage. There, I finished the subject for you. :)

Sidiously Darth
01-22-2003, 04:14 PM
I like the DSD. It's smaller and more affordable to buy multiples for dioramas. Heck, you can repaint the darn thing if you like.

As far as the other one, maybe when it hits clearance and I can get it for $3. Then I'll add it to a droid factory scene.:rolleyes:

droidekas2
01-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Oh no............ Play doh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its just like the Eco Warriors from the old G.I. Joe line or the old Terminator line that let you mold the flesh onto the endoskeleton.

I think it sucks, more money Hasbloh wont be getting of mine. I was hoping for something like the vintage droid factory ( lots of pieces for lots of combintations). Why do they do this?? I'll bet you that there will be no kids and no collectors buying that thing.
Try again!!

I'll pass on the spider droid. Why cant it be just like it appears in the movie. I agree with Jargo.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-22-2003, 06:26 PM
Hmm,

hmm,

these suck!

Beast
01-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Well, it's not exactly like this is your only oppertunity to buy a Super Battle Droid. We've had two different versions all ready. The real star of this deluxe set is the mold maker that attaches to the other Droid Factory sections. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

Old Fossil
01-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The real star of this deluxe set is the mold maker that attaches to the other Droid Factory sections. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar binks

What a shame that the accessory beats out a figure for coolness.

I can't wait to not buy these two.

NiktosRule
01-22-2003, 07:18 PM
As for the scale of the Dwarf Spider Droid it should be small! The SW Insider that had a feature on the droids of Episode II said it is smaller than a regular battle droid in height. So if that is true which I think more or less is. Maybe they are the same height than the toy should be short at least.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2003, 07:21 PM
The spider droid looks like crap.

I will get it anyway.

The super battle droid, I will have to see with the Play-Doh in him to make a decision, but the factory piece is great! Hopefully you can open it and close it so Padmé can run through.:)

Hellboy
01-22-2003, 07:48 PM
I think these confirm that the Saga Deluxe line is geared more towards kids. With the exception of the Nexu, Clonetrooper, and the C-3PO the line has been poor if you like accurate representations over gimmicks.

I agree with the point Jargo made that this is probably the only version of the Spider Droid we will see and it is not even close to the way it looks in the film. The legs and swivel base look way off as do the lack of feet. The nose is missplaced and this otherwise cool looking attack droid looks unimpressive.

I look at the SBD Play-doh set the same way I did last years Force Flipping Deluxe figures. They are crap and they will be warming pegs for months keeping us from getting other good Deluxe figures. :frus:

Darth Sidious
01-22-2003, 08:33 PM
I like the Spider Droid. I like all of the Battle of Geonosis vehicles/attack droids. As for the SBD...well, I'll just have to wait until I see it in person.

Jargo
01-22-2003, 08:46 PM
To come back to what Steve said about waiting to see the final article. it's a fair point. These are after all painted hardcopies and not the final thing. Colors may change, paint applications might change. The spider droid will probably come with its feet attached. But going on the pictures hasbro has put out of all the products this last year these look likely to be as close to the finished article as it gets. The only difference is that these are painted resin and the off the shelf final product will be made from plastic that has a different luminosity, less paint. The spider droids legs are shown at ninety degrees to how they'll end up. If they put the legs on like they've shown the droid would walk sideways like a crab.
I can accept the fact that these aren't final. I can't accept that this is the only spider droid we'll get and it has what looks like two action features. The one which makes it walk is fair game. though wind up is such an outmoded concept it's almost laughable to expect kids to buy into. The nose thing is just unacceptable to me. It's completely changed the character of the droid. The design was for the droid to look menacingly like a giant mosquito and this makes it look like a deformed woodpecker with a goofy face. The design of all the droids from the trade federation was supposed to be menacing and as hasbro has faithfully replicated the batle droids skeletal physiology and the super battle droids brutish bulk i fail to see why they felt they could better the design on the spider droid by giving it an inverted ground to air missile for a nose rather than a laser gun. Jar Jar mentioned safety issues with fine pointy parts of toys. Bunkum. If hasbro can put out a toy like the x-wing fighter with hard plastic points on the guns then the whole safety issue is negated straight of the bat. Hasbro could have given the spider droid a vynil plastic nose which would have bent under pressure which would have sidestepped any claims of it being unsafe. As it stands the spider droid has a hardened nose to accomodate a likely firing missile. so the safety issue is negated again. plain fact is they trashed LFL's design to shoehorn one more gimmick into a product that would likely have sold itself. Battle droids didn't sell because we all had tons of them already. Super battle droids sold because they were new. The spider droid would have sold with just the walking feature alone. Hasbro could have kept the features accurate and still had it walk. Then we would have had a cool droid that we could either have walking or standing. This thing just looks wrong. Even the head shape is wrong. Great legs, shame about the face. A crying shame. I'm going to put out a plea to Hasbro to stop the production and correct the face. leave the walk feature in there but please change the face and correct that nose gun. I'd planned on buying a few of these, honestly, I'd planned out my budget for the year ahead and had at least ten of these on my shopping list. Now i won't buy a single one unless it's corrected. Sadly i reckon it's far too late for that and it'll be another sad chapter in the Hasbro star wars demise.

Jerjerrod
01-22-2003, 09:17 PM
:confused: :mad: Yuck!

The spider droid looks NOTHING like it did in the movie, as shown in LTBasker's attachment. AND "wind-up action"? Hasbro, I thought you were going to fry Randy on a stick already! :mad:

The Super Battle droid is just plain stupid. It's the ATTACK OF THE PUTTY! What's going on? How the heck do you expect anyone to buy these two pieces of crap! No matter how detailed the assembly piece is, this one still sucks! All you coulda done was to use plastic pieces that fit together! :mad:

I smell conspiracy within the Hasbro office to BURN Star Wars alive. Either that, or they are ALL high on cr*ck! :mad:

No money from me on these two.

Lord Malakite
01-22-2003, 09:32 PM
"QUICK-STEEL Super Battle Droid Compound"? What is this stuff supposed to be, grey Play-doh? It kind of sounds like it'll be a grey colored variant to that "Flesh Compound" used in that Create your own Terminator Set they had back when they made T2 figures.

Tycho
01-23-2003, 04:35 AM
I'm buying both sets!

I want to make the droid factory and that is the coolest piece that Padme has to run through!

I'm not going to waste my time with the droid making feature - that's not what I care about. I can buy SBD off the racks at KB Toys if I want more of them. It's not worth more than $10 for me to get that part to my diorama, but I will pay ten for it.

I'll also buy 2 dwarf spiders. I agree with everything Emperor Jargo said about them, but don't think they are important enough to merit a resculpt.

I was never impressed with the Separatists' equipment, (except for the Hailfire Droids) but that's the whole point: the Separatists better get their own Clones (hence THE CLONE WARS) or the Republic's going to kick the buttons out of their dumb droids!

The movie was called Attack of the Clones for a reason.

Though, yeah, the dwarf spiders "sorta" had some character to them in the film - but not much. Very brief screen time and very unimportant at that. They were no threat to the Republic's Clones.

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 05:58 AM
I couldn't care much less about the Dwarf Spider Droid if I was paid to, but Jargo's comparison pic speaks volumes anyway. It reminds me of the some of the late '70s vintage SW toys when compared to their movie counterparts, like you could see Walrusman's face and figure out who the fig was supposed to be, but NOBODY wore that hideous outfit of his in the film. The DSD sells it I guess, but it's not even close to accurate - this looks more like an old, upside-down pot growing legs. Plus, I grow weary of that incessant high-pitched buzzing sound created by wind-up motors.

As for the SBD builder, they should have done better than this. Heck, the compound doesn't even make up most of the body. "Look kids, it's the Super Battle Droid with creamy nougat center!"

187-Maul
01-23-2003, 09:07 AM
the SBD builder set sucks, the machinery part looks ok though, but why did they have to include this gigantic missile firing arm!?! they should have instead packed him with an arm like the deluxe SBD (in a firing position)

the DSD looks ok, not exactly like in the movie but good anyway, but I don't need him so I guess that's again two more figs I won't be getting...

Emperors_Hand_2211
01-23-2003, 09:14 AM
The sbd is a crap collectors piece but quite a cool toy. I think most kids like anything involving tubs of goop. I know I did.
As for the spider. Wouldn't have cared for it even if it was absolutely movie accurate. Crap either way. I can understand why those who actually wanted one might be a bit ****** with the result though.