PDA

View Full Version : What...the...

LTBasker
01-22-2003, 09:01 AM
Hasbro, I just saw the pictures of the new Deluxe Super Battle Droid.. Why did you do that? You say it's for the kids? HA! That action feature you plopped in for the easy bake SBD torso is crap, you know once that 'Easy Steel' to mold the torso runs out that you'll have to buy another set to replace it, then another, then another, and all because they just wanted to use the Action Feature.

Why did you do this?! The Deluxe 3PO set looks so cool as action feature loaded because you can choose what you want to put on the two droids, you SHOULD HAVE done the Super Battle Droid set like this so that there'd actually be fun to have with it.

Don't even get me started on the DWARF Spider Droid. I jus thave to say this, cheap Hasbro, cheap. Get fans excited by calling it the Spider Droid which makes them think it's the bigger one (scaled down of course) when the Dwarf Spider Droid name is VERY well known.

Even I, who am very completist, am thinking about not even getting these two sets!

Fulit
01-22-2003, 09:10 AM
You know, the thing about the Super Battle Droid is, if it were executed correctly, my kid would love to build his own SBD. But I know you, Hasbro, and less than 5 percent of these little "Action features" you put on toys even work right. So take note Hasbro:
I'll be damned before I buy my kid another "action feature" toy that doesn't work and just ends up ****ing him and me both off.

For all I know, the thing works great, but in the past, I've shelled out the money and been screwed, so I 'm not doing it anymore. This thing won't be missed from my display shelves anyway, so I have broken your completist crap toy hold over me. Ha!

Plus, with your crappy distribution, half the country will be swimming in the extra little tubs of "goop" to build the SBD, and the other half won't be able to find them at all.

Jargo
01-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Wind up toys? WIND UP TOYS!!!!!? Are we living in the middle ages still or something? Great scott! These deluxe toys are bad bad bad. I thought you couldn't get any worse than lightsaber slashing actions but this just propels your toyline so far down into the creases and recesses of poopy junkdom tht i really cannot find adequate words bad enough to describe this unholy mockery you place before us. You seriously expect people to pay good money for this trash do you? Think again. No really - think again and come back when you've come to your senses and started making toys worth buying.

jjreason
01-22-2003, 12:50 PM
How hard will that baked crap be to get off the figure's base? What am I going to do once that crap gets on another figure and won't come off? I hate it - from the concept to the finished product hate it. My only hope is that the machine part fits in to the diorama base stared by 3PO and Padme, and that's thin hope to hang on a whole deluxe figure. The droid Ill wait and see about, but it's not an exciting premise. Why not make it a Spider-Droid Beyblade complete with ripcord? I know it crossed your mind - maybe later this year? PLEASE hire new people hasbro, the guy who's authorizing the creation of these toys in the first place needs to be replaced by someone who understands the long term effects of releasing **** like this. Damn.

El Chuxter
01-22-2003, 02:07 PM
I just looked at these to see what all the commotion was about, and I must agree. These two sets look a million times worse than Arena Padme! What are you thinking? Please remove your heads from your posteriors and listen to your fans before it's too late!
This is beyond ridiculous!

Jerjerrod
01-22-2003, 08:32 PM
If everybody on EARTH stopped buying Star Wars action figures, all at the same time, How much money will you INSTANTLY lose?

Obviously, you have calculated this consequence, because it's about to happen.

After that happens, you will lose your Star Wars toy license, and a better toy manufacturer will gladly take it from you.

After that, Lucas will file a $ 60 million dollar lawsuit on you for damaging the Star Wars brand's reputation.

After that, the new manufacturer (which will be managed by actual Star Wars fans and collectors), will give us ALL the right stuff.

In the end, we win, you lose.

P.S. I take back all the good praise I've given you last week. :mad:

Beast
01-22-2003, 08:43 PM
Hasbro has the license thru 2008, so even if you quit buying the stuff it's not going to stop them from holding the license and quit making stuff.

While I agree that sometimes Hasbro can be hit and miss, they still do a pretty good job, most of the time. As for the action features everyone hates, almost every toy line has those now.

So even if Hasbro lost them, it doesn't guarentee better quality toys or no action gimmicks. You can't please all the people all the time, no matter what company it is.

Just buy what you like. If somthing comes out that is less then perfect in your eyes, skip it. Leave it for someone that actually wants it. But if your gonna buy it and complain anyway, well then you really only have yourself to blame. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
01-22-2003, 09:18 PM
JJB,

I know Hasbro is more capable than anything, to create AMAZING figures that blow collectors away, for example, Ephant Mon, Trash Compactors, all the late POTJ waves, Supreme Chancellor Palpy, Clone Pilot, just to name a few, but this is too few and far between. When they do miss, they give us stuff that's really unconnected to the Star Wars toy theme. The introduction of action features is one issue, whether the action features work or not is another issue, but no matter how bad they were up until now, ALL of their figures appeal to me in a positive way. In other words, I'll pretty much "decide" to buy or not buy a figure based on the final rating I give it once it's in my hand in the store.

But now, The deluxe SBD is not even open for debate. It HAS no rating. I won't buy that for sure. For something like this, you will call a "miss", But I call it "off the radar".

Also, I only sound angry at Hasbro now because for the first time ever, they have truly shocked me.

Jerjerrod

QLD
01-22-2003, 10:11 PM
I once took a crap in the woods.....and that was the crappiest thing I had ever seen.......until I saw the new Super Battle Droid Deluxe figure.

It sure is Deluxe...........

FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jayspawn
01-22-2003, 11:59 PM
No offense Hasbro, but these are not very good toys at all. I'm not a big fan of the Super Battle Droid so I will be passing on that set. The Spider Droid is waayyy to small. That is no match for the Clone Army at all!!!

Beast
01-23-2003, 12:05 AM
How can you tell the Spider Droid is way to small? It's a photograph, with nothing in the picture to even compare it to. Nothing at all to suggest scale. The droid in the movie was only about the same size as a Battle Droid anyway. :p :)

Though shorter than a standard battle droid, the dwarf spider droid is much more rugged and packs much more firepower. The Commerce Guild often dispatched the multi-legged enforcers into mines owned by guild members negligent on their dues. These small droids, also called burrowing spider droids, can enter the mines often used as hiding places and track down evading operatives. The droid's large infrared photoreceptors can detect most fleeing fugitives with accounts in arrears.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 04:12 AM
SBD Builder set, soon to be known as "Jabba Glob 2"!

This thing is off the map, who is going to really enjoy buying and playing with a super battle droid where you only build one small part of and it's out of silly putty or play doh? Hard to believe good plastic that could be better spent making new Micro Machines is wasted on shelf-warmers-to-be like this.

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:19 AM
Jabba Glob, actually isn't that bad. If he'd been packed with the dias, pipe and bowl, and other stuff like the vintage version he's almost a perfect ROTJ Jabba. While I would prefer an actual Jabba set, it's better then anything we've gotten so far. :)

It will warm shelves, but diorama builders will pick up a couple just for the piece of Geonosian Droid Factory. Like I said elsewhere, there is already 2 decent Super Battle Droids. So it's not like this is your only option. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-23-2003, 05:06 AM
My major complaint with Jabba Glob is that he's in the wrong colors, other than that he's ok. But for the purposes of this thread, I'm mainly referring to a SW prequel toy from Hasbro that tried to incorporate some sort of play-compound and ended up bombing at retail.

Jargo
01-23-2003, 08:09 AM
Is jar Jar being paid as a marketing spokesperson for Hasbro these days? Reads like he's employed in a damage limitation campaign to me. I asked myself last night why Hasbro aren't going to TOYFAIR this year. It's not down to costs and cutting back it's because they fear being lynched by angry collectors. They chickened out of any confrontation that might happen. They foist a pile of crud onto the market knowing we'll hate it and then run and hide behind some lame excuse. Y'know what hasbro guys. I have zero respect for that. I would just love to hear the justifications for some of these products face to face. No anger no finger pointing just a solid conversatiopn man to man. Educate me. Not this blather company spiel spin doctoring. Proper explanations. Real terms. But you'll only talk to those who kiss butt won't you. Those who'll gush all over their fansites about how the sun shines out of your rears and how all you touch is gold. better check your heads because even those sites are starting to read disappointment. Time to take stock I think. Yeah what JJB says is true that a few people quitting the hobby won't hurt Hasbro. But with the numbers that are dropping off right now I think in the long run it will hurt Hasbro. You want real damage limitation then talk to us. Real interaction. Not some tinpot webchat where you choose what to answer based on whether it looks good for you or not, a real forum for discussion. Won't happen though because you don't have the balls to face the public.

stillakid
01-23-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Is jar Jar being paid as a marketing spokesperson for Hasbro these days? Reads like he's employed in a damage limitation campaign to me.

He does this with EVERY topic that speaks ill of Star Wars, whether it is in regards to the toys, the films, or any other extraneous elements.

I've come to the conclusion that "yes," he is a paid plant by Lucasfilm to put out fires of dissension. Because if he's not, then I am seriously concerned for the state of humanity. :rolleyes:

But, no, seriously Jar Jar, it's one thing to be a fan and remain supportive. It's another to continually and unabashedly defend absolutely every nitpicky detail that Lucasfilm and Hasbro are involved in. If your purpose is to help support their decisions and to convince us that it's all terrific, your own credibility is called into question with such an unwavering attitude. In my experience with Hollywood-type institutions, the ONLY people that exhibit the behavior that you share here are, in fact, paid consultants...and those around them see through the act pretty quickly.

So, if you are an industrial plant, then feel free to back off, because the game is obvious.

If you're not, you might as well let up anyway, because we all know that you apparently like and enjoy everything and your rose-colored glasses opinions are (ironically) diluting themselves.

In other words, how can anyone take your opinions seriously if you like EVERYTHING? :confused: I'm being quite serious with that question. Even with as much whining as I do about the Prequels, there are elements that I think are okay. Just as I would be suspect of someone hanging around here who doesn't like anything, the same question arises with the opposite...someone like you. Really, and I'm dead serious about this, please post a thread with all the stuff you DON'T like about Star Wars or the toys or Hasbro. Is there anything? Anything at all? Perhaps with a better understanding of what drives your enjoyment of the hobby, then even someone like me can find a benefit in your tenacious support and defense of all things Star Wars.

Thank you. I appreciate your time and understanding concerning this issue.

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Hmmm....

How is jar jar's unabashed support of all things Star Wars any different from your unabashed derision of all things star wars, SK?

Same thing with Jargo on the figures. All I've seen from you lately is complete negativity in regards to pics we're seeing.

I'd call that your opinion, much like JJB's enjoyment of the SW product he sees is just that, his opinion.

I don't know, if he's a plant for Hasbro.......it's go to make you two plants for Mattel and McFarlane.... ;)

Beast
01-23-2003, 01:09 PM
I love how anyone that is positive, is considered nuts or a plant by Hasbro or Lucasfilm around here. But the negative folks are "real people". I have my problems with Star Wars, and with Hasbro. But the good outweighs the bad in ever instance.

Atleast I don't beat the fact that the prequels suck into people's heads like you do, Stillakid. Picking on every small detail to try to prove your point. Like Qui-Gon training Obi-Wan. Which if you actual listened to anyone else, would be laid to rest. So don't be a pot calling the kettle black. M'kay. :)

So stick the conspiracy theory that I'm a plant or see things thru rose colored glasses as you suggest. Maybe I can just still enjoy the movies and toys as if I was "still a kid". Just because you grew up, doesn't mean everyone did. I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys R Us Kid. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jargo
01-23-2003, 02:30 PM
Okay my comments about Jar Jar weren't intended to start a war. I forgot to add a smiley thing in there because i was posting as i ate my breakfast.

But i do take stillakids observation about an opinion solely negative or solely positive being invalid. True I've posted some very negative things lately but only because i see so much that I don't consider to be worthy of positive comment. Take a read through these boards and you'll find plenty of positive comments posted by me. I don't post negative comments just for the sake of reading my own posts. I post negative comments about negative aspects of the hobby. I want the best from it and in my opinion we aren't getting it. yes that's right not me - we. I'm not overly concerned on a personal level but more concerned in a global sense. If i post that Hasbro are doing wrong it's because i'm thinking about the bigger picture, kids and collectors besides myself. I feel hasbro are doing kids a diservice with the deluxe toys. I will hammer on about it because hasbro aren't offering anything deluxe at all. Why the hell can't kids have and appreciate the same quality of figures that we are supposed to with collection two in all the toys aimed at kids. The disparity in the line is pointless. Why do kids have to endure poorer quality product than adults? If hasbro are a toy company making toys primarily for kids then why do the toys they make for kids suck? Why are the toys they make for kids sitting on the pegs and all the other more adult collector oriented toys flying off the pegs? Why - because the kids are buying more collection two than collection one because collection one sucks. Kids are just as discerning as adults if not more so judging by some of the comments by some people here at SSG. Kids know what they want and they're pretty riled when they don't get it. And what they want is action figures not gimmick action feature figures.
I remember a report some time ago where hasbro had taken a financial loss and the Company at large had taken the decision to start no more new lines but concentrate on the stuff that had stood the test of time and got them where they were. Stuff like the board games and Mr. potato head.... Mr. potato head? Dear God on a stick no-one wants crud like that. Hasbro has solidly wedged it's backside in a comfy chair of misguided nostalgia sometime in the 1950's! These action features the deluxe toys are coming with are arcane. Wind up features and clay mold your own figures, sheer junk from the dark ages. It'll be evel kenevel style rip cord action stunt swoop Anakin next. Stretch Obi-Yawn Kenobi styled monstrosities. Stuff that cheapens the toys, relying on gimmicks might have worked years ago but in this day and age it just doesn't cut the mustard. When every other company making toys has acknowledged that accuracy and detail are the main selling point Hasbro puts gimmick first and throws the accuracy out the door. Hasbro claims that these toys are eciting and creative, allowing your child to relive the movie action. Well, basically, screw that for a start. One the toys are far from exciting. A million miles from being creative considering that the action features disallow any creativity or use of imagination becuae you can only have the figure stand one way or move one way. Recreating the mnovie isn't what it's about and if hasbro has missed that most crucial point then they failed completely to understand the people they claim to make product for. Kids want the characters sure, they want to have all the characters from a scene, sure. They want to recreate the scene and then make up their own and use their imaginations and go places within the galaxy of their minds eye. they want to be able to have any character fit into the vehicles and have their favorite character fly the vehicle of their choosing or use the accessory of their own choosing. how do these saga toys fit any of those options? How can kids possibly actually play with these offerings from hasbro when they have no option for play built into them aside from the one movement or the one action feature that hasbro is dictating?
Hasbro are so wrong, so wrong. It's painful to see them making complete fools of themselves with these toys. Do you see the backlash of rejection over the action features hasbro? Do you actually ever look up from polishing your ego and see the consumer passing by the toy aisles without stopping by anymore? 2003, not 1955, this is 2003 and what you sell won't wash with kids today. The statue posed figures with no leg articulation are useless. you might just as well mold the figures as one piece plastic soldiers like we used to get pre 1978. The action features have no point to them, the lightsaber slashing effect isn't anything more than a spasm action that throws the blessed lightsaber from the figures hand. The kicking action doesn't so much kick as jerk nowhere much. It's as effective as blowing on a brick wall to knock it down. The flipping figures were about as much fun as having to play connect four for the rest of your living days. Ugly useless figures and a pointless feature that didn't work properly, boring as sunday church service.
There have been successes so don't think i'm simply damning for fun. The interchangeable parts figures in the deluxe line worked well, the vocalising nexu worked well, but little else. When will you see this and stop doing these features that fail? figures with overbuilt arms to accomodate a shapeless lump of projectile vomit looking stuff are not attractive. Button activated slashing actions are nothing more than annoying and ruin the chances of ever being able to play with a toy properly. And now you give us the features to end all features, the frame of a figure that we have to make ourselves. One go and it's done. play over. no excitement there. at least two minutes of attention then done with. what else can we do with that set? Nothing. Then we have a wind up and go toy. might work for the under fours but for anyone over that, might have seemed exciting in the 1930's but not in this century. this wind up feature makes it seem like some cheap novelty you get out of a bubble gum machine. You've taken a really nice character that would have been a fantastic droid figure to add to the collection, totally different to anything else, and you've mutilated the features and the over all look to wedgie in some firing missile feature. Then you give it a walking feature like a fairground booby prize trinket. You have no idea about what kida want anymore. you are so out of touch. Kids are more adult than adults these days and they want realism, they want accuracy and detail, they want the same things we adult collectors want. Quality and respect. Sadly you Hasbro are capable of giving neither.

Banthaholic
01-23-2003, 06:32 PM
...mind as well join in the Battle Royal.
I think it's nice how Hasbro is giving us all these preview images of the upcoming products.

Like or dislike the preview pictures, IMO it's hard to give a true opinion of these before we actually see the final products.

Granted from the get-go a few products might not be of interest then politely pass on them, we're not being forced to buy anthing here, and there is over enough products and lines to be able to take up any persons income.

Myself I usually am more positive of producs because I'm just glad to see Star Wars products. I remember how much it sucked in the early '90's being a fan, wanting products, and having nothing to buy. When Bend 'Ems hit the market I snatched them up and loved them. I can only imagine the ridicule that they would get now if they were released.

I think we are 'spoiled' as Star Wars fans, the volume, quantity and for the most part quality of the toys we get makes other toy lines look pathetic. Granted the figures might not be 'exact' likenessses but they're TOYS.

Jerjerrod
01-23-2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Banthaholic
I think we are 'spoiled' as Star Wars fans, the volume, quantity and for the most part quality of the toys we get makes other toy lines look pathetic. Granted the figures might not be 'exact' likenessses but they're TOYS.

You're right, we are spoiled...:o

...it's nice to be spoiled. :D This way, we get what we want. :D

Kenner/Hasbro has been spoiling collectors in the past because they really did blow competition away, and offered fans so much quality and quantity.

But imagine if they just stopped spoiling us, and just started to offer us poor quality, uninnovative products that we don't want to see or play with?

We will become angry, and rebellious, and we'll KILL KILL KILL! :crazed::crazed::crazed:

MWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!:crazed::D :)