PDA

View Full Version : Besides the toy sitiation at Wal Mart......

scruffziller
01-22-2003, 02:27 PM
What else bothers you about the company.

Well one thing is that their big and tall selection is a JOKE!!!!!

It seems like they use the exact same amount of material from a regular size shirt or pair of pants and take away in length or "roominess" to make the item wider but not deeper.
So I basically am wearing a "BIG" man's version of hip huggers because I can't pull the jeans up far enough because their is no "extra balloony seat"- (The Simpsons). And the XXXL shirts come up to your armpits if you lift your arms above your head.

Beast
01-22-2003, 02:41 PM
Your problem isn't Wal-Mart, it's the clothing companies. They don't really have half a clue how to make clothes for big and tall people. You need to buy big and tall clothes, from a store more dedicated to big and tall clothing. Most of your general merchandise stores, don't really carry decent big and tall stuff. Try Sears.com, they have a excellent big and tall section. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
01-22-2003, 03:22 PM
I'm going to get slapped around for being a leftist pinko on this, but I don't care.

Wal-Mart is one of the most successful companies in America. It has succeeded in bringing profits and dividends to its investors, value to its customers, and selection to po-dunk towns in the middle of nowhere.

Why can it only afford to pay its employees labor wages that will not support but the most meager adult existence?

Of course, I am a total hypocrite on this one... I go to Wal-Mart on regular basis!:Pirate: But you asked...

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2003, 04:06 PM
I hate their music selection. There, I said what we were all thinking.

2-1B
01-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I hate their edited CDs . . .

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2003, 04:20 PM
That's what I mean about the selection. I bought Garage Inc. from them only to find So What filled with bleep after bleep. I wish I knew about that practice. Then again, my brother buys a Godsmack album from them, and he gets it unedited. Inconsistent, stupid practice.

derek
01-22-2003, 04:23 PM
i agree with what Jon9000 said and wish they would open up all those checkout lanes.

2-1B
01-22-2003, 04:35 PM
Jaymz,
I'm not saying that they don't have the right to sell edited discs, but it should be more clearly marked (I noticed that the price stickers sometimes had "edited" marked on them).

Anyway, they sell R-rated DVDs with plenty of profanity, yet they refuse to sell CDs with the same content ?

STOOPID :stupid: :stupid: :stupid:

Beast
01-22-2003, 04:42 PM
Yeah, but the ratings on movies specifically point to the fact that movie contains stuff that shouldn't be seen by kids. And the fact that Wal-Mart cards for R rated movie purchases. Especially how the new ratings go, where they have to actually say why it recieved that rating on the movie case. If music had an actual rating system, there wouldn't be as much trouble. :)

But I hate censorship. I may not like music, but noone has a right to censor someones work. Especially since the only reason it's done, is because they don't like what's contained on it. If Wal-Mart doesn't like the lyrics, then don't carry that music. Not sell an edited version, just so you can earn a few bucks. That's just greedy. :greedy: :stupid:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Scruffy.......

If you hate the selection at Wal-Mart as I do, try these places....

http://www.kingsizedirect.com
http://www.casualmale.com
http://www.reppbigandtall.com

Most big chains like Wal-Mart who make big and tall clothes, do not take into account that the dimensions are not the same as they would be normally. They just incrementally increase the size, without thinking about body type.

But at least the clothes are in the carpeted area, where the crazy guy with the floor buffer and mop isn't chasing you! :eek:

James Boba Fettfield
01-22-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Jaymz,
I'm not saying that they don't have the right to sell edited discs, but it should be more clearly marked (I noticed that the price stickers sometimes had "edited" marked on them).

I didn't mean to imply the store didn't have the right to do that with their cd's. I disagree with it, but it's their store. I just wish I had known that they didn't get the "parental advisory" cd's. I bought it thinking I'd get to hear some sweet profranity (not that I need it to live, but you get the point). I didn't even know the store worked that way until I saw a report on the news about another kid buying the same Godsmack cd and Wal Mart was receiving flak since they weren't supposed to be carrying music like that. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing whether the practice is cool with me or not, I just wish I had known before purchasing the cd. I suppose it is buyer beware.

2-1B
01-22-2003, 05:10 PM
Oh, I knew that Jaymz - sorry if I wasn't clear . . . I agree completely, they should just make it crystal clear to the customers what
they're getting. It sucks that they have a policy of 'no-returns unless defective' when they're selling butchered products. :D

Binks, that's a TERRIBLE excuse - if a disc has a parental advisory sticker, then treat it like an R-rated movie. Problem solved.

Beast
01-22-2003, 05:22 PM
I know it's a terrible excuse. But who ever said that the store executives make intelligent decisions. I agree that they should treat the parental advisory sticker as an R-Rated movie. But it's a sticker and easily removed. They should have an actual ratings system for music. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

QLD
01-22-2003, 05:24 PM
But then they wouldn't be able to market all that mean and nasty music to kids anymore!!!! :eek:

smurfvader
01-22-2003, 05:32 PM
While I started buying a lot of food at Wal-Mart because it's cheaper there than any of the local supermarkets I noticed they have been raising prices and trying to fool people into thinking they're getting a better bargain. I but chocolate Oreos almost religiously. When I started they were 2$ a bag, then they raised it to 2.50$ a bag and put them on an island display with the sign that they've rolled back prices. I thought rolling back meant they would lower the price. I noticed they also raised the prices of the Spider-Man figures to over 7$. This has got to be the first time something is cheaper at Target than WM and it's not on sale.

JIm

2-1B
01-22-2003, 06:10 PM
The advisory stickers are usually on the CD case, under the cellophane and not easily removed. :)

CloneTrooperMace
01-22-2003, 11:59 PM
At my Wal Mart they don't stock or the old people from the villages take all of it before I get there.I am still trying to make friends with the toys manger(s).It's all a joke to those cart boy(s) one night I seen then ramming cart into each other "Dumb Boys".

CSM's are beaches"it's like they had to get up and do something"

James Boba Fettfield
01-23-2003, 04:53 AM
When I spent the night waiting for the GameCube release at Wal-Mart I was happy how the situation was handled somewhat. Some of the employees were nice to the many of us who were waiting, but I was upset by how some of the other employees had been acting towards our group. As the night dragged towards 12:01, I began to notice the employees were remarking about how there were no GameCubes, and that they weren't going to sell them since they didn't have them. I knew they had because a call was placed many days earlier to ensure they'd get them. I just got a little p'ed having these punk kids talking about not having them so they could rile up the crowd. Yeah, so that's my other gripe with them. Other than that and the cd thing, I think that's all I got.

QLD
01-23-2003, 07:29 AM
I will say that the Gamecube release was handled very well at the Wal-Mart I went to. I ended up being about #50 in line, and they were pretty accomodating. We did get a few snide comments from a few employees who thought we were crazy for waiting in line, but nothing major.

scruffziller
01-23-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Caesar
I hate their edited CDs . . .

Amen that too.

scruffziller
01-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Quite-Long Dong
Scruffy.......

If you hate the selection at Wal-Mart as I do, try these places....

http://www.kingsizedirect.com
http://www.casualmale.com
http://www.reppbigandtall.com

Most big chains like Wal-Mart who make big and tall clothes, do not take into account that the dimensions are not the same as they would be normally. They just incrementally increase the size, without thinking about body type.

But at least the clothes are in the carpeted area, where the crazy guy with the floor buffer and mop isn't chasing you! :eek:

Thanx QLD!!!:)

James Boba Fettfield
01-23-2003, 01:17 PM
I had my brother hold a spot for me and he got there around 2 PM, and they weren't even ready to start the line yet, so they got him a chair so he could wait for me. It was the first time at being number one in a line, ever. I suppose the generosity for him there will offset the snide remarks they gave me when I got there later after getting off work.

CloneTrooperMace
01-24-2003, 02:25 PM
HMMMMMM.......Oh.....Dope..

InsaneJediGirl
01-24-2003, 09:34 PM
Edited CDs and ultra-slow check out lines are probably the two biggest problems at my WM.Standing in line for 20 minutes or more during peak times when only a few registers are open really stinks,especially on the weekends when WM should know they are going to be busy.

Tonysmo
01-31-2003, 05:43 AM
There are so many OTHER wonderful things about walmart though... you have to take the good with the bad..

FACT - they take back anything.. " Excuse me, these diapers already got S*** in them..."

and the folks at the door are awesome, always witty.. as with the guy at our local WM, missin an arm the poor guy, had a button on his smock, said "just ask" so I asked him where he left his arm.. he swung his nub at me...

you may begin your groan now..

This post was brought to you by POOR TASTE, and NOT FUNNY..

dr_evazan22
01-31-2003, 06:10 PM
I agree w/ the rest of you about WM's censorship. The censorship, plus all the Christian products, I find offensive. It comes off as being very Right Wing. I don't go there to but media (books, mag's, music or video). I perfer to make my own decisions on the content of what I buy.

A couple years ago I was on a road trip. I had been meaning to but Eminem's CD. I forgot WM wouldn't have it and stopped in some backwater PA WM, and was frustrated they didn't have it.

One of you guys brought up pay. How are the bene.'s? I have 2 jobs, PT at UPS w/ bene's thru the Teamsters, and FT at Home Depot. The bene's at HD SUCK! My UPS bene's are 10x better!

I don't really understand why these multi billion $ companies can't provide a good wage and good bene's for their employees.

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 09:56 PM
That's the problem with money, having a lot of it creates an aura of power. Personally, I don't like WM's cd-censoring, but I show that mainly by not buying my music there. WM has power over manufacturers because they are a big retailer, but ultimately it's the customers who give WM that power - if customers used their buying dollars to support their local stores instead of saving a buck, the Walton family's beliefs wouldn't mean anything more than anybody else's; but, customers like saving money and WM is very good at letting them do that.

scruffziller
02-01-2003, 01:59 PM
The "FAMILY IMAGE" that is put forward by selling only censored music helps them rake in more money than any loss they will take by not being able to sell those crappy censored CDs.

They just use one of the divine rules of AL BUNDY!!!:D
If the benefit of the crime out ways the punishment, DO IT!!!!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-01-2003, 02:19 PM
Eh, i learned long long ago not to buy any CD's from them. My mom used to try to get me CD's from there, but even if they don't have any bad language, i won't accept it. I don't wanna support them. I do however, have made friends with their toy department folks, so i can't complain too much. ;)