PDA

View Full Version : New R2-D2 Figure -- Comments?

JediBoulton
01-23-2003, 01:00 PM
I just saw the new R2-D2 figure and have a few questions:

1. Why is his head grey? -- It should at least be brushed silver or something?

2. PLEASE tell me that that rope thing will hide inside of R2's head and body -- PLEASE dont make us carry it around like we have to on the rebuplic gun ship. JJB -- are you still up for cramming rope inside small openings??

3. It looks like the thrusters can actually be pushed back into the legs -- this is great.

Overall, I think this will be a nice figure to add to the collection.

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 01:02 PM
I think I have all the r2's I'll ever need.

Pass.

JediBoulton
01-23-2003, 01:06 PM
True -- there are alot of R2's out there. If we could have the all inclusive R2-D2 -- That would be great. Folding leg, movable head, removable arms and gadigets, thrusters, lightsaber handle, suction rope, one that fits inside X-Wing, ECT.

Am I asking too much -- propaply...

Banthaholic
01-23-2003, 01:15 PM
Enough R2's??
Not until we get a Bartender R2 from Jabba's sailbarge...

Beast
01-23-2003, 01:37 PM
It looks ok, since I only need it for to be Flying R2-D2. I'll leave final ruling on the figure when it's in my hot little hands. As for we not needing anymore R2-D2 figures, well I have to disagree with that. Banthaholic mentioned one, but there is a couple others. And I can name twice as many C-3PO's, if I wanted to. :)

TPM:
R2-D2: Queen's Starship w/ power harness

ANH:
R2-D2: Death Star Trench Battle Damage

ESB:
R2-D2: Hoth (Snow Detail w/ Radar)

RotJ:
R2-D2: Jabba's Bartender
R2-D2: Endor Shield Bunker Battle Damage

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 01:52 PM
I'd buy the rotj ones...the rest are pointless to me......

bring on the 3 po's!!!

corporal AMF
01-23-2003, 02:47 PM
I think it looks horrible............the dome is the worst Atromech sculplt I've ever seen.............

I find a great difference between the preview and ths pic, but I'll wait until someone post a review

Jargo
01-23-2003, 03:00 PM
Some-one-gag-me-NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaha!
Oh deary me............... bless. :rolleyes:

bobafrett
01-23-2003, 03:10 PM
I'd have to agree with Corporal AMF, I do think this one looks horrible. If I wasn't trying to get at least one of every 3 3/4 inch figure, I'd probably take a pass on it. The new Boba Fett figure though looks nice blassting up up and away!

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 03:14 PM
Actually, I just checked out the pics now.......

Worst R2 EVER.

The other figs are looking fine though. Can't wait to get my hands on that Boba Fett.

2-1B
01-23-2003, 03:27 PM
I have a question too, why does it look like they gave him a DIFFERENT kind of "third leg" ? :confused:

Jerjerrod
01-23-2003, 03:32 PM
I already have the best R2-D2 ever: R2 w/ holographic Leia. With this flying one, his legs and his body looks like it's one piece. :rolleyes:

Boba Fett and Anakin are cool. But too bad Anakin is not in neutral position.

OC47150
01-23-2003, 04:05 PM
I'm in agreement with you other guys: R2 sucks. I'll think long and hard before plopping down my money for it.

Finally a decent Anakin! I'd say he's the best looking one of the Anakins released to date.

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
I already have the best R2-D2 ever: R2 w/ holographic Leia. With this flying one, his legs and his body looks like it's one piece. :rolleyes:

Boba Fett and Anakin are cool. But too bad Anakin is not in neutral position.
They are one piece, to accomidate the pop out rocket boosters for the legs. I would have preferred they actually just plugged into the legs, but ehh. It's not like I don't have better R2-D2's for non-flying scenes. :)

How is Anakin not in a neutral position? He's not crouched, or in a combat stance. I keep hearing that he's not in a neutral position, and I really would like to know what you mean by that. He looks neutral enough to me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 04:27 PM
Yeah, anakin looks pretty damn neutral to me. What I can't understand is why he doesn't come with a regular hand as well, yet does come with a lightsaber. Considering the only use for him is in a wedding scene, it's kind of silly.

Darth Trymybestus
01-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
It looks ok, since I only need it for to be Flying R2-D2. I'll leave final ruling on the figure when it's in my hot little hands. As for we not needing anymore R2-D2 figures, well I have to disagree with that. Banthaholic mentioned one, but there is a couple others. And I can name twice as many C-3PO's, if I wanted to. :)

TPM:

ANH:
R2-D2: Death Star Trench Battle Damage

ESB:
R2-D2: Hoth (Snow Detail w/ Radar)

RotJ:
R2-D2: Endor Shield Bunker Battle Damage

How about an Episode II Freighter R2? He could have bowls attached that he used to get the soup for Anakin & Padme :)

How is Anakin not in a neutral position? He's not crouched, or in a combat stance. I keep hearing that he's not in a neutral position, and I really would like to know what you mean by that. He looks neutral enough to me. :)

He's pretty neutral to me, hell I thought that Hangar Duel was quite neutral, he was just as neutral as any of the Episode I Obi-Wan Kenobi & Qui-Gon Jinn figures.
I think that Tatooine Attack is probably the least Neutral Anakin that we've had.
I wonder if the cloak is removeable & if so, what will he look like without it? Maybe if it's removeable, I can put it on Tatooine Attack :)

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:33 PM
As for R2-D2, it looks like when you pull out the center leg, you can access the magnet tow cable to pull C-3PO's head around. And the thing at the other end, looks like you can plug the hole in R2-D2's head with it. So I assume that you can either wrap the string around the holder in the back or you could feed it inside, but it would take a while. :)

TOR, we don't know yet whether he'll come with interchangable hands or not. In the Hasbro picture it looks like he has a gap on that arm. So maybe there is an interchangable feature. If not, you can always do a quick hand/lower arm swap, or just use him for making up your own adventures after the wedding. :)

Darth T, thanks for reminding me about R2-D2: Outland Peasent. Can't forget that one, even though I almost did. And yeah, the Anakin's robe is removable. Check the Archives, here I'll pop up a link. The robe could have been a bit nicer, but it still looks good. Best Anakin yet. :)

http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=30473

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2003, 04:38 PM
The new Anakin is very nice, I will simply give him the normal hand from the HD one (it looks like they can be switched). And when he has the robot arm, he can be used for scenes from "The New Droid Army" or even Episode III. Now maybe we'll get a screen scene of the wedding with Anakin, Padmé, and the priest.:) However the wedding Padmé is on the cargo bay ay sw.com, but on the Hasbro site it says that it will be a Tatooine outfit. I'll go with Hasbro though and still hope for a screen scene.

On R2, it looks like the string can be put back into his head, or wrapped around his back. Major plus. And the head's not too bad. But for some reason, Hasbro has forgotten the blue line around the R2 figures heads on the past few R2s . . .

Darth Trymybestus
01-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Well, I am even more excited for these figures after seeing those photos!!!!

Anakin Skywalker - Secret Ceremony

I love that the Anakin finally has a Robe, "oh thank the maker!".
I do admit that the Anakin looks better without the robe, he looks to have more detail than Hangar Duel, he seems to have the same kind of detail that Tatooine Attack has.
The face sculpt looks A LOT better in that photo! It looks a lot less cartoony, my fave Anakin face sculpt has to be Hangar Duel still (yes, I love that figure:))
It also looks to have lots of articulation, I mean look at the feet, I'm a little wary of his left arm though, action feature? :rolleyes:
As for the robotic hand, it doesn't look like it'll be removeable, ah well, it looks a lot better in that picture and the robotic hand will grow on me.
If you look at the photo of the Anakin minus the robe, there's your neutrally posed Episode II Anakin Skywalker in Jedi Gear.
He's more neutrally posed than a lot of the saga figures.
I hope he comes with the metal lightsaber and a magnet in his right hand, and please come with an interchangeable human hand.
This figure will probably be the definitive Episode II Anakin Skywalker figure, it looks that way already!

Boba Fett - Pit of Carkoon

Well, this figure looks cool but does it surpass the 300th Boba Fett? Heck NO! It's a very cool figure and I'm very glad that the "flames" are removable, he looks to have awesome articulation so I'll pose him just like the 300th Boba Fett.
I don't know, he looks more cartoony and not as detailed as 300th Boba Fett.
Is his cape soft goods? I can't really tell. I'm not too keen on the missile, I'll be getting this figure but it gets silver medal compared to 300th "Best EVER" Boba Fett. :)

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 04:58 PM
I don't know.....this one has more articulation than 300th Boba Fett....AND it seems to be on par with it in terms of detail...

He looks more cartoony due to the change in costume between TESB and ROTJ. I think it might give 3ooth Fett a run for its money.

Jargo
01-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Barriss looks nice. Shame about the magnet but... nice figure, nicer with the cloak. No actually she's a really nice figure. I'm not a fan of the wide legged stance but considering that nearly all the Jedi in the arena theme have them it makes sense that she should too. Wonder if they'll bother to paint over the magnet or leave it looking like a malignant growth.

Anakin is Anakin is Anakin to me. past caring about him. looks like his lower arm could be swapped for hangar duel Anakins lower arm quite neatly. Why are all these Anakin figures coming with worried looks on their faces? All hayden did in the movie was frown and sulk. odd.

Boba fett could have done without the arm jerk mechanism but the figure itself is quite nice. I'm going to lop off that button thing where his rocket should be and glue on a rocket from the AOTC Jango Fett or Bobas backpack. I actually hate that gimmick but the sculpt is a good one and so I shall buy this. replace the 300th Fett in my collection. 300th 'farting' Fett is too posed for my scene.

R2-D2.... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! oh dear. nevermind eh.

Darth "grrr arrrgh! I've fallen and I can't get up" Tyranus is not that different to the last one. not a lot to get excited about really.
Shoulder articulation might have been nice. And including a large piece of hangar roof or the equipment he tears from the hangar wall to hurl at Yoda might have been nice instead of the slashing thing. One of the best force moves is the force pull or push and it's best when a character doesn't even look but just reaches out behind themself and does something like hurling a piece of debris at their opponent etc. Tyranus with shoulder articulation could have been posed doing that, Giving him junk to hurl would have been cool but....... never mind eh.

JangoFart
01-23-2003, 05:25 PM
I'll take every R2 listed by JJB - plus cheese and a Coke.

Great list of overlooked R2's, Binks.

J

JEDIpartner
01-23-2003, 05:39 PM
...but sadly, it was not. This has to be the most disturbingly malformed Artoo unit ever manfactured by the assembly-line lice at Hasblah! What is wrong with his dome... it's all askew! Where's the blue line around the bottom of the dome? Why is his eye all silver??

These and many other questions can be answered by taking a dump in the potty and sorting out the mess.

Jerjerrod
01-23-2003, 06:00 PM

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

What I meant was that too bad he wasn't standing tall and upright, like when you wait at a bus stop, or when you're getting married standing on the alter, or for example, standing tall like BoShek or Imperial Officer. :)

I know I might seem picky, but the fact that his knees are a "little bit" bent and spread out suggests to me that there is a chance that Anakin will slash his bride Padme's brain open. :)

I don't mind this sculpt, but that "little bit" just caught my attention, that's all. :)

Jerjerrod

jjreason
01-24-2003, 12:25 AM
R2. Let's see. On the good side - he's R2. You just can't go wrong right off the bat. I think the string deal is going to be more like the old MOTU figure that grappled...attach the top of the string and pull on the "third leg" to get R2 to fly up the string to where you attached it. That might be fun once or twice. Or once. He looks okay, I sure hope the string and weenie pull-tab can be hidden for display.

Old Fossil
01-24-2003, 12:39 AM
The R2 sucks.

Anakin: yawn. Tyranus: yawn. Barriss: yawn. I'll use the money saved from not buying these four to buy lots of those cutsey li'l Padawans and a slew of the new Tuskens.

Question about Fett: Is it just me, or is only one leg articulated at the knee???

2-1B
01-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Now maybe we'll get a screen scene of the wedding with Anakin, Padmé, and the priest.:) However the wedding Padmé is on the cargo bay ay sw.com, but on the Hasbro site it says that it will be a Tatooine outfit. I'll go with Hasbro though and still hope for a screen scene.

Hasbro posted a correction, saying:

A correction has been made to the upcoming list of 2003 Collection 2 figures. Previously announced as "Padmé Amidala in Tatooine Outfit ('03 #20)" should read "Padmé Amidala in Wedding Dress ('03 #20)".

plasticfetish
01-24-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by corporal AMF
I think it looks horrible............the dome is the worst Atromech sculplt I've ever seen
Yeah, I'll have to agree. The Hasbro (prototype) figure looks good enough, but the final version looks pretty lame. The dome looks like they recycled an old gum ball machine container ... and the uhhh, string thing ... is an, uhhh ... string thing. (I'm not fond of the robo-pizzle either.)

Anakin w/ robot hand ... well, since the only reason to own this is because of the "hand", I would have liked a lot LESS puffy brown sleeve and more robot hand. Sick of big plastic ponchos! When you guys talk about a "neutral position" do you mean "looking like he just got off a horse?" Because if you do, then yeah it's neutral ... otherwise he looks posed to me. I'm a little dissapointed about this one, I figured this would be the Anakin figure I'd actually want.

Barriss Offee ... nice sculpt, though I'm sure the final version will look nothing like this. I'm mildly aroused by the attention the sculptor paid to the "definition" around the bosom area. (Pada-wa-wa-wow!)

Boba Fett (Pit of Carkoon) ... Looking at the "Hasbro" photo, I say "Wow! Awesome! Great! Nice articulation, detail and paint." Looking at the final version I'm thinking ... "Oh, you guys cheaped out all over this figure. Darn."

Darth Tyranus (Geonosian Escape) ... ehhh, it's OK I guess. The face looks more like his stunt double though and I think by the looks of his open palm (Logan's Run joke coming!) that his "life crystal" has stopped working. They're not even gonna TRY and hide the magnets anymore are they? Oh well.

Emperors_Hand_2211
01-24-2003, 03:11 AM
Anakin's cloak seems a bit bulky, but otherwise OK.
Fett I like quite a lot. Barris I love, especially the base idea (but I'm a sucker for Jedi).
Dooku, well just a different pose I suppose. It's all right.

R2.
First I'd like to heartily disagree with Jar Jar. We do not need any more R2's. None of those you list are actually required.
The battle damage and snow you can add yourself to one of the millions of R2 figures already available. The drinks tray and the power harness could easily be included in an accessory set. Considering every R2 is basically the same figure in the same two poses I feel releasing more is a waste when there are so many more interesting figures that could be done in their place. To be honest I feel much the same about the prospect of more C3POs as well. I'd rather have the remaining members of the Jedi council or even some EU figures instead of more R2's.
I've actually boycotted R2s. However I'll give my two pennies worth. This one sucks badly. Looks like it was painted by some five year old kid. Wouldn't buy it if it was the only R2 on earth.

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 05:03 AM
MrJabbaJohnL, good call on the missing blue line. I noticed it with flybot here, but not on Silver Anniversary or Holiday (which I never found).

This new R2 looks pretty weak, I hate the "milky" gray plastic they used for the dome and the dome's other details are all shoddy as hell. I'm a sucker for R2 though so I'll probably get it.

I bet the long line here is going to be like those old climbing figures where you hold or anchor the top of the line and pull on the bottom of the line to make the figure climb up the rope via an internal gizmo... which I see jjreason already beat me to commenting upon. That'll teach me to type as I read through the thread. :D

Here's what I don't get though, why is it that Hasbro can produce an R2-D2 toy that looks identical to the real thing in the 12"-scale line but has not once come even remotely close to approaching that level of accuracy on the 4" scale? Certainly Hasbro has put out plenty of other droids and aliens and humans and accessories and vehicles in that scale which are able to live up to movie-accuracy, so why is it that Hasbro seems totally inept at getting this one vital character right? I mean, you put any 4"-scale R2 - even Holo Leia R2 - next to any of the 12"-scale R2s and it's like the smaller one is a pale imitation of the other. The dome shapes, eye shapes, top eye locations and shapes, dome door shapes, body shapes, leg shapes, heights, details, leg stances, etc., on the 4" ones are always way off the mark... it's so annoying sometimes.

LTBasker
01-24-2003, 07:27 AM
As for we not needing anymore R2-D2 figures, well I have to disagree with that.

TPM:

Have to agree with those two. Royal Starship R2 would be a chance to have them rerelease R2-D2 with the R2 w/ Holo Leia sculpt. They could also make it a 2-pack with a new R2-B1, or a rerelease of the Red Droid with it's own harness as well.

187-Maul
01-24-2003, 07:57 AM
let's see:

R2: worst R2 ever ! even worse than R2 lightsaber pop-up, wo was very bad, the dome on this one is just horrible, and you can't even move the legs

Boba Fett: like I said in another thread, I hope the feature doesn't ruin the fig, although the missile looks bad IMO, bvut the fig overall could look cool standing by itself. BTW, looks like they changed the knee-articulation on his right leg (first it was above the knee, now it's underneath)

Anakin: looks neutrally posed, a cool anakin, but I already have HD and TA and I don't need a cloaked one or one with the robotic arm, so I guess I'll pass, although he's a cool fig

Barriss Offee: looks very cool, will look good next to Luminara, and they gave her a removable cloak which is a plus, and the base looks cool, overall a very cool figure, can't wait to get my hands on her

Count Dooku: I have already commented on this fig in an older thread, I think he's cool but I already have the first one and am waiting for a new one who can hold the lightsaber in two hands

I will definitly get Barriss Offee, maybe Boba Fett and probably not Dooku and Anakin, and definitly not R2

OC47150
01-24-2003, 08:09 AM
I could see an attachable "regular" hand/arm being added to that set. But that could be remedied by switching the arm from the TA Anakin with the bionic arm.

I like the factor that we're getting an Anakin with his cloak.

187-Maul
01-24-2003, 10:56 AM
just wanted to add that gelactic-hunter.com has added carded pics of Barriss Offee, Aayla Secura and Lama Su
looks like Barriss can hold her lightsaber in two hands, which is great, and Aayla looks pretty cool too, and you can put her in a kicking position like the first sketches showed