PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro, why no love for C-3PO?

Beast
01-23-2003, 03:57 PM
Hey Hasbro, why don't you guys like C-3PO very much? Is it because Lucas prefers R2-D2 to C-3PO? You're always releasing new R2-D2's from the prequels and OT. But when will C-3PO be getting some love.

Especially to make up for the wide-legged stances from the POTF2 days. R2-D2's gotten a lot of love, and now it's time for C-3PO to get some. You guys love to do re-sculpts of popular main charecters. Why not direct some of that love, twords making a charecter like threepio, instead of Jango and Maul. :)

The Phantom Menace:
C-3PO: Pod Race Flag Bearer w/ Anakin's Flag

Attack of the Clones:
C-3PO: Protocal Droid (Re-Sculpt - Taller/Better Detailed)

A New Hope:
C-3PO: Oil Bath (Deluxe Figure w/ Lowering Oil Bath)
C-3PO: Death Star (Gripping Hands, Commlink)
C-3PO: Massassi Temple (Clean and Shiny)

The Empire Strikes Back:
C-3PO: Hoth (Snow Detail)
C-3PO: Cloud City (Blast Apart Feature - See Aleins: Scorpion Alien)

Return of the Jedi:
C-3PO: Jabba's Translator (Slimed w/ Pop-Out Eye)
C-3PO: Ewok Diety (w/ Ewok Throne)

I know that the C-3PO w/ Throne is likely on it's way in the accessory sets. But included it anyway, just incase it gets the axe at the last minute. The pop-out eye feature on the Translator version, could be either interchangable heads or an actual button that pushes the eye out. It of course wouldn't be able to fall out. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
01-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Because C-3P0 is lame, and will pegwarm even worse than the others.

Beast
01-23-2003, 04:05 PM
Not if he was done well. People still like C-3PO, and the best figure every done for him was way back in POTF2. That was the Millenium Minted Coin figure that not even everyone could get. Hell, if they can make 10 new versions of R2-D2 and those sell. They can damn well make some new C-3PO's. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 04:18 PM
I'd take the clean and shiny one..........and perhaps the ewok throne one...

I'd pass on the others though.

2-1B
01-23-2003, 04:31 PM
Just because Hasbro squanders valuable time and resources making R2 figures does not mean it's okay to dump more Threepios into the toy line. :)

Jargo
01-23-2003, 04:54 PM
Well, judging by how they churned out two C-3PO's for AOTC made from horible plastic and the one that came with Chewbacca was horrible plastic not chromed and the newer R2-D2's have got horrible plastic heads not chromed I would rather they didn't make any more C-3PO's if they aren't chromed. The newer plastics they use to make figures from won't take chroming it's too bendy and the chroming would flake off during play. To lower the cost of production hasbro switched to the bendier plastic. not because they coulfd get more detail in but because the plastic is cheaper. it's the same cheap plastic used by low grade toy manufacturers in the far east. the sort of plastic you see in knock off toys in markets and bargain basement stores. As long as hasbro use the bendy plastic to make figures from they can't chrome it which means that C-3PO would be made from that brass colored plastic. Just horrible looking. So no thanks.

The Overlord Returns
01-23-2003, 05:02 PM
Actually, I never like the vac metalled r2 heads. I much preffer the Holo leia matted finish, or the first AOTC release to the chromy vac metal.....

Still, it works to make a shiny threepio........

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
01-23-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I'd like one too!

Jargo
01-23-2003, 05:34 PM
I'd pretend to know what that is but not being an aliens fan and not getting half the toy lines America does over here I have no clue what you two are on about. Any chance of a better description or a pic or a link?

Beast
01-23-2003, 06:06 PM
Kenner released a Aliens Toy line back in the early 90's. The UK should have got them also, as 3 of them were onlyavailable over there. One of the first figures was a Scorpion Alien that features a small button on the back of it that blew the arms, head and body apart. I know action features are disliked around here, but as I usually say there are already a ton of C-3PO's out there. I'm trying to locate a picture of the back of the cards. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-23-2003, 06:26 PM
You know Jar Jar, I ain't got one C-3PO :( I'm waiting on the definitive Old trilogy C-3PO.
I wonder when we'll see one? :) I do have the 12" TC-14 though.:D

Jargo
01-23-2003, 08:50 PM
yeah we did get alien figures over here i just don't remember seeing that one. Were they later waves or something? Perhaps it was something TRU's near me didn't get or they didn't stock them for a long period or something, i don't know. In theory I dislike any feature like that on something as small as a figure. On ships i can see it working out fine like i'd love to see an exploding x-wing in Biggs squadron colors. Press a button behind the R2 unit and the fuselage breaks away and the wings blast off into different pieces and a small electronic sound chip plays a blast sound. But on a tiny figure i think I'd rather just get a bunch of pre busted 3PO pieces sculpted with the wires all everywhere. They same sort of idea as the accessory from Chewbacca bespin but with the pieces separated. Packed with a crate and an Ugnaught.
I just don't trust hasbro to do the figure justice and can't see the point in an exploding 3PO. If you have to hold the figure to press the button to explode it then all it's going to do is fall apart in your hand and that to me is not exploding, that to me is just like playing with droid factory 3PO which falls apart when you play with it long enough. A basic carded medal ceremony 3PO all shiny would be good though if and only if they vaccuum metalised it and gave it hands molded in a gripping pose to hold accessories and bending knees. That's about the only 3PO I'd want right now.

Jerjerrod
01-23-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
I'm waiting on the definitive Old trilogy C-3PO.

I think the "definitive" 3PO is the POTF2 C-3PO w/ removable limbs and cargo net. Check it out (I'm sure you have), it's pretty close to the top.

stillakid
01-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I'd like a "behind the scenes" C3PO from TPM. You know, the one where the 3PO armature is operated by an operator behind it. Pretty cool! Think about it. It'll grow on you. :)

stillakid
01-23-2003, 09:54 PM
Heck, why not a whole "behind the scenes" line of figures. R2 with a flip top lid with a Kenny Baker head inside (waving to his fans, of course). How about a Greedo with his assistant shoving the "hairdryer" up his snout so that the actor can have some fresh air? The ever popular Jabba operators, complete with the little guy in the tail who says "backwards and forwards...backwards and forwards..." The possibilities are endless!

2-1B
01-23-2003, 11:39 PM
stillakid,
I don't know if you're being sarcastic :D but I would honestly take those over future rehashes !
Ahmed Best in the JJB suit with visor and headpiece would be fun, IMO. :)

stillakid
01-23-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
stillakid,
I don't know if you're being sarcastic :D but I would honestly take those over future rehashes !
Ahmed Best in the JJB suit with visor and headpiece would be fun, IMO. :)

It did occur to me that it might appear as if I was being sarcastic. It's so hard to tell with me sometimes. :sur:

But no, I was being entirely serious. Toss in Ahmed, the classic George in flannel, maybe some 24P minature accessories and Bob's your uncle. :cool:

Jargo
01-24-2003, 07:56 AM
The little guy in Jabba's tail was Mike Edmonds who also played a Jawa in ANH and an Ewok.

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 06:30 AM
I agree, a new, clean, non-spread legged C3-PO would seem a no-brainer. . . and be a most refreshing change of pace.

Jargo
01-25-2003, 11:38 AM
Provided it was vaccuum metalised.....

Rogue II
01-28-2003, 08:26 AM
It has been a very long time since we got a Classic Trilogy C-3PO. I hope you don't mind JJB, but I trimmed down you list a little. I don't think a Hoth version is necessary and combined the Death star and Deluxe versions. If they are going to make him "Deluxe," might as well make him as difintive as possible.

You'd figure they could at least cram one of these into a Cinema Scene or pack in (like Massassi Temple or Jabba's Translator). The rest could be carded and released ever 6-8 months (no more than 2 per year).

A New Hope:
C-3PO: (Deluxe ANH Figure w/ Lowering Oil Bath, Gripping Hands, Commlink)
C-3PO: Massassi Temple (Clean and Shiny)

The Empire Strikes Back:

Return of the Jedi:
C-3PO: Jabba's Translator (Slimed w/ Pop-Out Eye)
C-3PO: Ewok Diety (w/ Ewok Throne)

Jerjerrod
01-28-2003, 11:20 PM
I just picked up the deluxe C-3PO droid factory the other day, and I think it's a pretty accurate sculpt and good pose. The only thing is that the plastic make him look like he's not metal. Paint detail is good, but they should've primed all his parts first with metallic paint. I think this one is already much better than his single-carded counterpart.

So, 3PO gets a little love from a certain point of view, there's already 2 Saga versions.

And as an added bonus to this set, one more RED battle droid for me. :p What a steal! :D

Jargo
01-29-2003, 08:11 AM
Seems a little too small though that deluxe threepio. And yes you are entirely correct that plastic is horrible. Makes it look like cheap flea market bootleg stuff. So on that score there's no love. But unfortunately the red battle droid is too tall compared to the other red battle droid from the mace windu deluxe set and the regular carded one. Nice and all that but too tall. And the arm mechanism on that threepio deluxe set that is supposed to be for swapping the heads is all bendy and warped on every single set I've seen. Evidence of cheapo plastics again. but that's another argument for another thread. :D

12inch Lando
01-29-2003, 10:01 AM
A blast apart George Lucas would be nice.

stillakid
01-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by 12inch Lando
A blast apart George Lucas would be nice.

LOL! :D

Rogue II
01-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Would that include a Rick McCalum with cargo net to carry him?

mtriv73
01-29-2003, 01:49 PM
No, it would come with bags of cash that we're all too eager to spend on this movie and its merchandise.

Jargo
01-29-2003, 01:57 PM
An blast apart Hasbro chief of merchandising employee would be cool. Tap the head and it sprays red goo while exploding in seventeen different directions. :evil:

stillakid
01-29-2003, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
An blast apart Hasbro chief of merchandising employee would be cool. Tap the head and it sprays red goo while exploding in seventeen different directions. :evil:

More gimmicks?! You know they never work.

Jargo
01-29-2003, 03:13 PM
Yeah but there's always the exeption to the rule and even if it didn't work properly it would still be satisfying to watch it come apart in your hands in a mess of red gloop. :D Perhaps they could market a Randy from hasbro action figure dressed up as the sacrificial lamb and it would come with a spit roaster and real flame fire. And as you roast the figure you get the real smell of roasting marketing rep - a horrible nasty sickly sweet aroma but with a vile aftersmell that wiffs like bullpoop. And the figure has one more action feature in that every time it comes into contact with other figures it leaves a nasty stain that can't be removed. That too smells like crap. I know neither of these last ideas would sell but i believe it would be the best way to represent the 'heroes' of Hasbro should they get around to kissing butt like they did with Mark bordreaux (SP?) in the rebel soldier. And didn't they make one of the figures look like Andy Espenshade too? Was that the other rebel soldier? I love that mark is now a pegwarmer :D and people are pretty much indifferent to both versions.

That's enough hatred for one night I think. Wears you out this dark side stuff. :p

stillakid
01-29-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Perhaps they could market a Randy from hasbro action figure dressed up as the sacrificial lamb and it would come with a spit roaster and real flame fire.

Well, I might buy that one...as long as it was a pack-in with a new Endor Tree Village and at least another Ewok.

Jayspawn
01-31-2003, 09:21 AM
I would like a good 'Classic' C-3PO figure. We can always make other protocal droids with him too.