PDA

View Full Version : Geonosian Fighter

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 05:12 AM
Someone picked this set up for me yesterday and I threw it together in the course of 20 minutes. The vehicle is one of the strangest builds I've ever gotten from Lego, but ultimately it comes together as intended. It's hardly accurate, and for a while I didn't see any way to get the figure inside but low and behold, there is definitely a way. The cup-and-ball pieces for the tail and gun are really more for aesthetic reasons than for functional ones, but the positionable gun is cool none the less... I wish there was this much range of motion on the Republic Gunship's cannons really. The colors seem accurate enough, but I can't say I'm thrilled with them.

I really like the large cannon thing that is also in this set, the rotation and elevation of the cannon is fun and the positionable gunner's platform that rotates with it is a simple but vital element.

The reddish battle droid figures are old hat, but the Geonosian minifigures are not bad. Only 1 has wings, but the wing cape is pretty nifty even though it won't fold down around the shoulders. The figures lack the spindliness of the movie versions though, I am considering swapping out some Martian legs for these guys if I can figure out a way that's not too hideous.

All in all, this set felt more like $16 than $20, but makes a good counterpoint to the Republic Gunship.

JediTricks
01-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Has anybody else bought this one?

LTBasker
01-26-2003, 11:08 PM
Yeah I got it for Christmas. It's pretty cool although I wish the cockpit was better. I'm thinking about looking for a way to detail it and also strengthen the clear bubble piece.

Your set only came with one wing-cape piece? Mine came with two...

The cannon's kinda cheesy but I just set it aside anyways cause I wasn't expecting much from it from the start. I just with the overall set had more to it, like a couple Clones. That's one problem LEGO needs to fix, the past few years they don't throw in the token bad or good guy for sets. I remember with Space, Pirates and Town sets they'd almost always toss in that extra opposite side figure.

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Yeah, mine came with just the one, the set only has 1 winged Geonosian on the box and in the instructions, though the wing cape looks like it's 2 capes molded together when it's actually not.

I think the Geo Fighter came with a pretty good number of figs for a $20 set, though I too would like to see a way to get more opposition. With the Ninja line, I simply bought a box of ninja figures to strengthen all 3 groups in that line, but I believe Lego is not allowed to do an all-figures line like that for SW because of Hasbro's demands on LFL to be the only SW action figure maker.

LTBasker
01-28-2003, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by JediTricks
though the wing cape looks like it's 2 capes molded together when it's actually not.

Yeah that took me a bit to figure out as I don't really look at the figure instructions that much, however my set did come with 2 seperate wing pair-sets. Weird, when did you get your set? I got mine in Decemeber. I guess I just got a random extra piece since it's not shown on the box like other extra pieces you can sometimes end up getting.

I guess it could just Hasbro's childish behavior regarding figures (they don't seem to care much about AmokTime selling those bootleg Clone Troopers), but LEGO has been really lacking alot lately. They don't really toss in the opposite side figure in the sets anymore even for different lines..

JediTricks
01-28-2003, 11:43 PM
Wow, lucky you! :) Probably they stuck together in the factory or something.

I got mine the day before I posted this thread.