PDA

View Full Version : Boba Fett Carkoon is a gimmick-armed fig?!?

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 04:47 AM
Oh man, you have GOT to be kidding me! Pardon me if this has been discussed before (and if it has and I somehow missed it, feel free to merge it mods), but it appears in the new pics (http://systems.figures.com/database/index.html?page=detail&sdomid=5&sitemid=30469) that this Boba Fett has the same push-button permanently-affixed backpack that causes his arms to rise and fall that his daddy did in the Jango Fett Slave I Pilot figure. Not for nothing, but that Jango Pilot figure's arms and permanent backpack bites the big one with those arms flopping all around and the missile looking ridiculously inaccurate - I bet the whole torso is recycled from that junky Jango. Oh, and on Boba here, the missile is even MORE inaccurate! Yet notice how on the Hasbro-shot picture, the correct missile is on there (except for the paint job, I think).

Yeesh.:rolleyes:

187-Maul
01-24-2003, 07:24 AM
the fig looks ok by itself but I think the action will probably ruin the fig once again, but I won't give my final judgement till I know how good the action works

LTBasker
01-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Maybe they ended up changing the missile. Actually the "missile" (I don't Jango's blue & silver jetpack has a firing missile) on Jango Pilot's backpack is fairly accurate, just too long. When it's pushed down it's fully accurate, they just needed to have a way to lock him with his arms up.

I'm hopeing they changed the idea from push-down missile to button, while that wouldn't be that much better because the gimmick would still be there, we wouldn't have wobbly hands. Doubtful though, they probably just redid the missile.

evenflow
01-24-2003, 09:54 AM
I hope Hasbro gives up with the action gimmicks soon. They really suck. Why can't we just get nice neutral posed figures.

The Overlord Returns
01-24-2003, 09:58 AM
The fig looks fine, calm down people, nothing to see here.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-24-2003, 10:01 AM
I don't open my figures, so it won't bother me, but i can see how openers would be upset about the situation. He looks fantastic though!!!! :D

jblodgett
01-24-2003, 10:19 AM
But compare the missile on this picture:

http://systems.figures.com/archives/images/07/47907.jpg

with the missile on this picture:

http://systems.figures.com/archives/images/54/48354.jpg

The missile looks entirely different.

What gives? Which is the "real" figure?

Jayspawn
01-24-2003, 10:23 AM
I would very much like it if the upcoming Boba didn't have a feature. He'd be fine just the way he is. The paint job looks good anyways.

Hasbro please don't do any more action features. Please!

187-Maul
01-24-2003, 10:37 AM
has anyone noticed how strange his knee will look if you bend it? he will have a second knee cause the joint is actually beneath the knee

LTBasker
01-24-2003, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by jblodgett
What gives? Which is the "real" figure?

Hmm, on the ebay one (the screwed up 'missile'), the exposed belt pouch is green and the black detail on his shoes is more pencilish while on the Hasbro picture has a tan pouch and smoother foot details. I'd guess the button piece from Pilot Jango was just for prototypes and such while the Hasbro picture has an updated rocket, or they made a different button for it.

bobafett07728
01-24-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Guyute
I don't open my figures, so it won't bother me, but i can see how openers would be upset about the situation. He looks fantastic though!!!! :D

Being a MOC collector as well, the action features don't bother me much either. I think this figure looks great. I do open a few, and this one might join that list. Hopefully the feature doesn't suck that bad.

As far as my stance on action features. For the older, "classical", collectrors. . . they suck. We want figures to display, and make diaromas with. We don't actually "do battle" with our figures, so they don't need action features. That is what imagination is for, and we all turned out pretty good. But. . . and it is a big BUT. . . these are toys for kids. Kids like the action figures. Hasbro's sales have been great with the action features, so don't expect them to dissapear. I guess we will all just have to deal with the main characters having horid growths on their back that enable their plastic apendages to flap and wave like the "real thing."

Beast
01-24-2003, 11:39 AM
Didn't we all kinda know that he was, from the original list of figures that were coming out. Boba Fett (Quick Draw) ring a bell to anyone. As for the action feature, ehh...it's not so bad. The one on the pilot Jango works great and doesn't hurt the sculpt. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-24-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Didn't we all kinda know that he was, from the original list of figures that were coming out. Boba Fett (Quick Draw) ring a bell to anyone. As for the action feature, ehh...it's not so bad. The one on the pilot Jango works great and doesn't hurt the sculpt. :)

Exactly.

TheDarthVader
01-24-2003, 01:05 PM
I am a MOC collector also and it does not bother me. I think the figure looks GREAT!! There are no complaints here...a new Boba Fett is always welcomed!! :)

Kidhuman
01-24-2003, 01:08 PM
I don't open mine either, so it don't bother me. It looks cool enough.

Prince Xizor
01-24-2003, 01:08 PM
It doesn't bother me so much on Jango pilot because he is in Slave I all the time, so on mine you can't really see his arms. But this one on Boba does bother me. If the arms can stay still and not flop around like on Jango then I think I can handle it, but if I pick it up and he starts flappin' his arms, I am going to be upset.

LTBasker
01-24-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
The one on the pilot Jango works great and doesn't hurt the sculpt. :)

1. Wobbly arms
2. You have to hold the figure well so that they don't lock-up mid flight
3. Wobbly arms
4. Jango goes in the Slave 1, Boba doesn't. He's more action scene so the wobbly arms will suck even more. No doubt he'll have the wobbly arms, if they're tighter then it'll look good and the action feature might look realistic! Can't have that...

Beast
01-24-2003, 06:59 PM
Like JT has said in the past, ratchet the arms. That way you can either have them at the side. Or they can be up in combat stance. How else you going to put his arms, above his head surrendering? :p :)

How do you have to hold the figure well, I'm playing with my Jango: Pilot right now. Thumb on the button, finger between his legs. So he can be worked even with 2 fingers. See above for the wobbly arm comment. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jerjerrod
01-24-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by 187-Maul
has anyone noticed how strange his knee will look if you bend it? he will have a second knee cause the joint is actually beneath the knee

You're right. That looks messed up. The knee in the Hasbro pic look so much better because the knee-cap moves as you bend the leg. But in the new pic, it looks like the joint is below the knee-cap, so everytime you bend it, it looks like you're breaking his leg. EEEWWWWWW! That is sick. :D

Beast
01-25-2003, 12:04 AM
It looks like there may be a cut joint above each one of the rocket dart kneepads. Like I said elsewhere, the weird joint looks to be there, so you can pose him in flight like from RotJ. He bends the one leg behind the other. That's seems to be the only reason the joint is there. So that he can be posed in an action flying pose, as well as stand normally. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 05:27 AM
Argh! Another totally lame rehash. And it could have at least been a decent rehash. This is just a total waste of a figure --- not to mention plastic.

If I had control of the Death Star I'd set the course for Hasbro-an.

I guess it's time to turn to Legos. Seriously, all the cool stuff lately is Legos. Next they'll get a kick butt cantina set . . . hmmm, and possibly a Sandcrawler with and R5-D4 pack-in. Are you listening, Lego? Clearly nobody at Hasbro even has ears.

manji
01-29-2003, 05:59 PM
I just checked the pics at Galactic Hunter and it states that Boba Fett is in his "updated ROTJ" armor. There is even a comparison pic of the new Boba and the commemorative ESB Boba. Did he really have different colored armor in the movies? I never noticed, but I can't imagine why they'd mention it if he didn't, unless the paint job was incorrect on the 300th Boba. Anyone know?

manji
01-29-2003, 06:01 PM
Uh, I just looked at my message and there are an awful lot of asterisks. I promise I didn't type any naughty words! Are we not supposed to list other site names anymore? Just curious...

Nevermind. I guess it was the "dotcom" that wasn't allowed.:o

Beast
01-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Yes, Boba Fett's armor coloring in ESB and ROTJ is different. The 300th Boba Fett features the color scheme from his ESB armor. The new Saga Boba Fett has the color scheme from ROTJ. I know there was a comparison picture around here somewhere. I'll try to dig it up. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
01-29-2003, 08:19 PM
*sigh* This sucks, the pics at Galactic Hunter don't show any articulation in his left arm, so he can't do his standing sniper pose, so that makes him pretty much EU considering he never fired his rifle like that. Only time he held it like that he got it chopped in half. :p

Personally I think they stole the idea from the German company Kinder's Hippo Jango.

Jargo
01-29-2003, 09:28 PM
The leg is definately weird and his knee joint is wrong to bend below the knee pad. So who cares what it's supposed to recreate, human legs don't bend there. The paint job is really garish too. and sloppy. But then how many figures these days have a decent paint application and don't get bent and warped in the blisters? No, I changed my mind and I'm leaving this Boba on the pegs too.

JangoFart
01-30-2003, 11:19 AM
Hey, I have those Hippo's and dig 'em! Especially the little Jango!

I'm soooooo surprised at the MOC folks speaking up for this one. I typically get raked over the coals for saying I don't open my stuff. Good to see some more coming out of the closet, so to speak.

I dig this Boba Fett and, like others, dig it from a display on-card view. I'll, of course, buy two so I can open one and stick him with my other opened stuff. But, I'm primarily excited of having another carded Boba Fett to put on my Fett shelf.

However, anyone else think his hands are, like, abnormally HUGE? Check 'em out. They are way out of proportion with the rest of him. Maybe THAT'S why Rystall was oh-so interested in him, eh?

J

PloKoon2385
01-31-2003, 12:14 AM
Haven't we known for a while that he's gonna have an "action feature"? Isn't it listed as Boba Fett- Pit of Carkoon (Quickdraw) somewhere? I thought that I had seen a list where the word quickdraw was mentioned. Anyway, it doesn't completely bother me that he will have an action feature. Sure, it'd be nice if he didn't, but then we'd complain that he had no articulation. We really never stop complaining do we??:D

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 03:19 AM
I thought that meant he had a Spanish guitar and a mask so he could run around as his secret identity, El Kabong, and smite evil by smashing the guitar over its head. :D

Seriously though, I hadn't read that before but either way, this is one of the LAMEST of the gimmicks if it's like the Jango Pilot's arms.

dark jedi 8
01-31-2003, 08:57 PM
hasbro should have learned from jango and corrected the floppy arms, hopefully.:confused:

Beast
02-05-2003, 05:37 PM
Regardless of the complaints about the missle, he does look to be a very nicely detailed figure. Check out this comparison picture of the POTF2 Basic Boba, the IG-88/Boba 2-Pack Boba Fett, the 300th Boba Fett and the new Saga Boba Fett. The new one still looks better then the old ones. And is on par with the 300th Fett, if you ask me. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

LTBasker
02-05-2003, 06:21 PM
I don't know what it is, but the POTF2 Fett looks so much better than the new Fett.. well ok, it could use a headswap with the 300th Fett but that's about it. The buffness is subtle, more appealing than floppy arms. He's got a jetpack, no need for him to try to flap his arms to fly. ;)

JediTricks
02-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Oh man, I didn't even realize that the legs of this new figure were modified versions of the BF300 figure. This thing appears to be floppy-armed Frankenfett.

Jaff
02-06-2003, 04:17 PM
Sorry, but statue/gimmick figs don't impress me. I don't buy everything Star Wars unless it's good for my tastes. This is a passer for sure.