PDA

View Full Version : Why no really accurate R2-D2 figures?

JediTricks
01-24-2003, 08:41 PM
I didn't want to hijack another thread with a discussion of this, so I'm posing this question on its own:

Why is it that Hasbro can produce an R2-D2 toy that looks identical to the real thing in the 12"-scale line but has not once come even remotely close to approaching that level of accuracy on the 4" scale? Certainly Hasbro has put out plenty of other droids and aliens and humans and accessories and vehicles in that smaller scale which are able to live up to movie-accuracy, so why is it that Hasbro seems totally inept at getting this one vital character right?

I mean, you put any 4"-scale R2 - even Holo Leia R2 - next to any of the 12"-scale R2s and the little one can't hold a candle to its larger cousin. The dome shapes, eye shapes, top eye locations and shapes, dome door shapes, body shapes, leg shapes, heights, details, leg stances, etc., on the 4" ones are always way off the mark... it's so annoying to me sometimes. At least I have my Action Collection one though.

2-1B
01-24-2003, 09:45 PM
I don't know JT, but if you asked me in 1995 I would have said they were well on their way to a perfect R2. I remember buying the POTF2 version and initially being blown away by it, compared to the squat and stickered vintage versions.
Why they haven't perfected the droid, I can't say . . .

Good question. :crazed:

Old Fossil
01-24-2003, 10:06 PM
It makes no sense. Moreover, it makes no sense that they don't produce more different 3 3/4" Astromechs, using the POTF2 CommTech R2 mold/body. They always sell wonderfully. How many R2-Q5's and R4-M9's do you remember seeing collecting dust? The only one I recall being a bit of a pegwarmer was R3-T7, but that was only because of the massive quantities of that nice little droid Hasbro shipped: everyone who wanted one got one (I got two; I love Astromechs!). The red R2 from the Queen's Starship goes for $20 or more on EBay, usually. Even R2-B1 commands a high aftermarket price, and that's with an outdated mold on the figure. And I would wager that, of all the droids in the Star Tours line, the Astromechs are the most popular.

Face it: nearly everyone loves Astromechs. They go well in all kinds of dioramas. They should be relatively inexpensive to produce, using existing molds for the body and in some cases the dome as well (not pathetic resculpts, like this flying aberration we've seen pictures of). A "Droid Builder" set, similar to the Troop Builders we've gotten but having instead different Astromech droids included, would sell out quickly. And yet, Hasbro's not making them, and from all appearances has no plans to. WHY???

Jerjerrod
01-25-2003, 12:15 AM
I think it's exactly because they reuse that 1 mold over and over again to save costs, and time too, so they can create and manufacture various droids quicker.

They always use R2 bodies that have huge gaps between the different compartments, whereas in the movies, the gaps are like 1mm thin. The least Hasbro can do is make the lines a bit thinner.

But still, CTC R2 w/ holo leia is still my favorite for now. I can't stop staring at it sometimes.:p He even has "dirty" detail!!:p But even this production R2 is different from the original Hasbro pic which looked 1000 times better.

Check this out from Hasbro:

QLD
01-25-2003, 02:24 AM
I always thought they looked good enough for me. My eye for detail isn't that great though.

JediTricks
01-25-2003, 05:30 AM
Ok, take that pic of Holo Leia R2 and compare it to the attached pic of the 2001 R2-D2 Hallmark ornament that's in-scale with the figs - or check out the scan over at r2dee2's site for a different view of this fantastic ornament: http://r2toyforce.net/IMAGES/ornamentr2d2_5Aut_5122.jpg

I can't believe Hasbro is incapable of producing something closer to that while staying within the price range, look at figures like the CTC Stormtrooper or FX-7 or Dexter Jettster or even 2-1B who is a half-decade old toy!

Jerjerrod, Hasbro actually doesn't recycle the R2-D2 mold as much as folks think. R2 Holo Leia is a different sculpt from R2-R9 (red R2) who is a different sculpt from R2-Q5, up close in the details you can see none of those 3 are identical to each other because they're all new sculpts.

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 05:57 AM
Hmmmmm, truthfully, don't think the Hologram R2-D2 is bad at all. It is, after all, in my humble opinion, the best R2 to date.

On the other hand, I definitely WILL agree with you that the quality of R2-D2 is decidedly on the decline. The ATOC one was actually fun and had a spiffy new paint job, but it was not very acurate --- especially with that red light even though I don't mind it because it really looks . . . well, kinda cool. Plus, those sounds! They totally make this toy. I just seriously love this little guy! He's so dang cute!

However, this new booster rocket Artoo looks to be pretty slipshod. The paint deco on the doom is just flat out awful! Even the shape is way off! It is very bizarre! And totally disappointing. Especially since his cousin --- basically a droid extra --- R4-M9 was nothing short of amazing . . .

But Hasbro just seems to be very disinterested in the line these days. Everything from concept to design to execution seems extremely poorly thought out for 2003.

PS --- 2-1B is indeed amazing! The level of detail and brilliant execution truly obliterates any of the new saga figs. Gee . . . if only he had some ridiculously gigantic button in his back so he could wave a wobbly arm or something . . .

JEDIpartner
01-25-2003, 02:37 PM
2-1B could duel with Anakin whilst using his pointing diagnostic thing if he had that button! :D

Yeah... the Artoo seem to be taking a huge step backward. All of the figures seem to be... which is sad. Hasblah appears to be clutching at straws with their ideas, which, I might add seem be stemming from their need to please fans with figures that "do" everything... We need an Artoo that does this, and this, and this and that... and I think they just rush the ideas out there and we get crap like this new figure.

They were probably thinking, "Hey... I'll bet the fans would love to have an Artoo with the boosters in the right place, but they don't want them to be seen all the time... so here's what we're gonna do..."

:cry:

Hellboy
01-25-2003, 03:15 PM
Great question. I've wondered this myself over the years which would explain why I've never wanted to open my R2-D2 figures. I had actually hoped for the Saga version to be detailed and accurate but was again dissapointed. :frus:
You would think that more care would be put into such a central chartacter.
I could also make much the same arguement for C-3PO as well though.
I think the main problem with getting this figure the way it should be is that Hasbro probably considers it a fairly boring action-less character. So they always put some sort of action gimmick on him to make him more appealing to the kids.
As a result we get another R2-D2 that falls short of the quailty seen in other droids released like R4-M9 and FX-7.

mtriv73
01-25-2003, 05:34 PM
If they made the perfect R2 unit then they could never con us into buying anymore.:D All in all though I've been pretty happy with all of them except the one with the pop-up lightsaber. My favorite, though, is R2 w/ holo leia.

clonehead
01-25-2003, 05:51 PM
don't know wish i had an answer for you

Turbowars
01-25-2003, 06:29 PM
The answer is, Hasbro is run by flying monkeys.

Old Fossil
01-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by turbowars
The answer is, Hasbro is run by flying monkeys.

LOL

O-we-o, weooo-um...

Jerjerrod
01-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Wow, JediTricks, that ornament is truly the best r2 i've seen. Where can I find one? Why can't Hasbro just put that one onto a card?

Oh, let me guess... it's because Hasbro is run by flying monkeys. :D

JEDIpartner
01-26-2003, 09:14 AM
I have that ornament and thought the same thing. In all honesty... the Hallmark ornament is virtually the Saga Artoo without the light. It HAS sound... which is a little better than the figure's sound processor. Strange...

JediTricks
01-26-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by mark2d2
The ATOC one was actually fun and had a spiffy new paint job, but it was not very acurate --- especially with that red light even though I don't mind it because it really looks . . . well, kinda cool. Plus, those sounds! They totally make this toy. I just seriously love this little guy! He's so dang cute! The AOTC one is a 5-year-old piece with new legs, it was originally POTF2's Power F/X R2-D2. :D

I'm not saying Holo Leia R2 is a bad figure, but really compare it to the 12"-scale one, to the Hallmark one, and then to the movie prop and Holo R2 is just not up to the level of accuracy it should be; Hasbro's finest R2-D2 ever in the action figure line still isn't as good as their first Action Collection version or a christmas-tree ornament and that's not right.

JP, that diagnostic tool the 2-1B figure comes with is from the film, it was just sized-up a little like all the POTF2 accessories. Blame LFL! ;)

Hellboy, I don't see it as much with 3PO because I have the MMC one which seems pretty accurate. Also, even without action gimmicks, the sculpts Hasbro puts out in this scale aren't really that close.

Jerjerrod, the ornament came out in the 2001 line so it's not around at retail anymore. Since it makes sounds too (more accurate than the Saga one to boot), it's a little more expensive than a regular ornament. On ebay, they go for around $20 to $30 these days.

Honestly, one more thing I just thought of is now Hasbro has access to Realscan technology... why can't they realscan an R2 prop and use that to make a better figure? Instead, it seems they just shoot from the hip and miss every time.

Jerjerrod
01-26-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Jerjerrod, the ornament came out in the 2001 line so it's not around at retail anymore. Since it makes sounds too (more accurate than the Saga one to boot), it's a little more expensive than a regular ornament. On ebay, they go for around $20 to $30 these days.

And the brown wires on R2's legs actually looks like wires, not sticks!

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Yeah, even the Action Collection one that I've been touting as super-accurate can't make that claim. :p