PDA

View Full Version : I Hate Saga Lightsabers

badtaste
01-25-2003, 06:28 AM
Just when I tried to display Ki-Adi he felt down (I forgot these figs couldn't possibly stand ) and yep, his lightsaber is broken again, for the very fourth time.AAAAAAARG. Is there a clever way to make them solid or have I just begbing Hasbro to return to nthe old sabers?

mark2d2
01-25-2003, 06:35 AM
Is it totally broken --- as in busted and in need of repair --- or did it just come apart and can easily be put back together again?

I haven't noticed this problem --- but I haven't bought any Jedi Figs other than Yoda and Anakin and this has not happened to me.

badtaste
01-25-2003, 06:57 AM
It is that little pin that you have to put in it's metal holder. If that comes loose, the saber is worthless.

Jaff
01-25-2003, 10:36 AM
I can't get any of the saga figures to stand, but I kind of like the sabers in a delicate way. They do break easy, but they look better than the older lightsabers.

TheDarthVader
01-27-2003, 11:55 AM
You have to be easy with them. They are a lot better than the old sabers. The first time you get a figure w/ a lightsaber, you need to glue that small pin inside the handle so that it won't come off again.

hango fett
01-27-2003, 11:57 AM
i had that problem with yoda's lightsaber. i have 4 yoda's out of the pack and 3 out of 4 of his sabers have broken. they need to make them alot more sturdy. or just go to the old sabers.
h

Chiesa
01-27-2003, 02:16 PM
I never had a problem with the lightsabres... Well well lucky me perhaps. I just hope I'm not another victim of the broken lightsabre.

SplFrcsCWO
01-27-2003, 03:04 PM
Do you guys actually try to have lightsaber duels?? I just don't get it.

Val Da Car
01-27-2003, 03:15 PM
www.realstands.com

heck trade em some figs and get some for free.

Sidiously Darth
01-27-2003, 03:44 PM
I haven't broken a saga saber yet... knock on wood!:D

Darth Trymybestus
01-27-2003, 03:59 PM
I think the saga lightsabers, they're the most realistic ones we've had yet, none of mine have ever broken because I only display mine, I don't play with them.
I do have a suggestion for a new lightsaber... it could still have the metal hilt, but instead of say just coloured plastic, it could have a very thin piece of white plastic inside (which would be the white glow) and the colour of the lightsaber on the outside.
Because if you look at the movies, they have a white glow on the inside and then a colour outside.
But yeah, saga lightsabers rock!!!

Jargo
01-27-2003, 05:52 PM
Using a white plastic with clear crystaline plastic round the outer edge would mean the inner plastic could be sturdier. The crystaline plastic tends to be very brittle and shatters when strain is placed upon it. Using a more flexible white palstic for the peg might be the very answer we seek. But then all the older sabers would look like poop if the newer ones were cooler. Maybe Hasbro could do an accessory set for the jedi temple that included a load of spare saber blades. maybe they could do someone like pablo jill in an accessory set with all the sabers and remote training droid and meditation chamber seat and holographic emitter stand and stuff.
I actually find myself liking the idea of a white inner saber. Be awfully fiddly to produce though.

kdp100
01-27-2003, 06:16 PM
Dunno if anyone else has tried this yet, but I'm considering changing the colour of a moulded-all-in one sabre (Dooku's) by:

1) Cutting the blade off at the hilt;
2) Drilling into the hilt with a micro-drill of around (or slightly less than) the thickness of a pin or needle (my drill is manual, but I'm sure a Dremel or similar will do the job);
3) NOT drilling through my finger again;
4) Drilling into the blade with a micro-drill (with a drill-bit of the same thickness as before);
5) NOT drilling through my finger again;
6) Taking a needle or pin and cutting it down to a few mm of steel;
7) Inserting the metal into the blade (and maybe hilt), then glueing the two together if needed.

All right, so this might show a piece of metal near the hilt of the sabre - but I'm sure it'll be a lot sturdier than a lot of the Saga Jedis' weapons.

I agree, though - Saga sabres are just too flimsy - I think the Ep 1 (wave 2) approach was the best, where Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan had separate "On" & "Off" weapons.

(Never bought the Saga Ki-Adi, myself - the Ep1 version is good enough for me. Ditto Mace Windu & the POTJ Plo Koon & "Size 18".)

Jargo
01-27-2003, 06:38 PM
I can't for the life of me understand why they stopped having sabers attach to belts if they have separating blades and hilts. Seems like one step forward and two back to me. I think we all agree that metal hilts look smashing but the plastic ones can have bettewr authenticity. But the metal hilts are shiny shiny. metal hilts with a side peg to shove into the belt would be better than the plastic ones with side pegs which get all bent and squished as you use them and try to fit them into the belt holes. So with what's been written above it would appear that a separating saber and hilt are favorable, a meatal hilt is favorable and a hilt with a peg to attach the hilt to a belt are favorable.
That would so easy to do and technically it's a no brainer.
The next thing is th strengthenming of the saber blade so the peg doesn't snap off and render the saber useless. Now, we're all adult collectors who don't necessarily all play with our figures and probably take quite good care of them but kids who these things arew supposedly made for must all be really peed off right now that all the sabers broke off at the hilt during play. The way kids hammer toys it's inevitable so why make them so flimsy in the first place? The idea of a different stronger plastic inside the clear blade sounds more and more like the best solution alongside altering the way the hilts work so that they attach to belts.
What i have noticed since POTJ is that the blades are made from different plastic already and they aren't so clear as they used to be. But it still doesn't work because the plastic is weak. Obviously. But, it's still one more thing that hasbro aren't bothered about or they would have altered their production values by now. Lord knows there's been enough threads on this subject to get the message home and then some. It's obviously not a hasbro priority at all.

Darth Trymybestus
01-27-2003, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I can't for the life of me understand why they stopped having sabers attach to belts if they have separating blades and hilts. Seems like one step forward and two back to me. I think we all agree that metal hilts look smashing but the plastic ones can have bettewr authenticity. But the metal hilts are shiny shiny. metal hilts with a side peg to shove into the belt would be better than the plastic ones with side pegs which get all bent and squished as you use them and try to fit them into the belt holes. So with what's been written above it would appear that a separating saber and hilt are favorable, a meatal hilt is favorable and a hilt with a peg to attach the hilt to a belt are favorable.
That would so easy to do and technically it's a no brainer.
The next thing is th strengthenming of the saber blade so the peg doesn't snap off and render the saber useless. Now, we're all adult collectors who don't necessarily all play with our figures and probably take quite good care of them but kids who these things arew supposedly made for must all be really peed off right now that all the sabers broke off at the hilt during play. The way kids hammer toys it's inevitable so why make them so flimsy in the first place? The idea of a different stronger plastic inside the clear blade sounds more and more like the best solution alongside altering the way the hilts work so that they attach to belts.
What i have noticed since POTJ is that the blades are made from different plastic already and they aren't so clear as they used to be. But it still doesn't work because the plastic is weak. Obviously. But, it's still one more thing that hasbro aren't bothered about or they would have altered their production values by now. Lord knows there's been enough threads on this subject to get the message home and then some. It's obviously not a hasbro priority at all.

Jargo... how about a tiny little peg on the belf of the Jedi? (Kinda like the pegs on the soft goods Episode I Obi-Wan which is used to attach the comlink onto.
That way, the lightsaber wouldn't have some peg on it and the sculpt wouldn't be hurt because the peg would be very discreet.
And you could have a Jedi Knight with a metal lightsaber attached to the belt... ahhh that would rock!
I kinda did that with Anakin Skywalker Hangar Duel. I swapped his blue lightsaber with the Luke Skywalker Bespin Duel figure, I attached the Metal lightsaber onto Anakin's belt (using good old fashioned blu tac :D) and it looks FANTASTIC! :D :crazed:

Jargo
01-27-2003, 10:33 PM
Okay how about a little two prong grip thing you just snap the saber hilt into. Y'know like a cable grip or drain pipe grip, sort of curved and then closer togetherat the end but flexible enough to allow the round object to slide into the grip. Given the plastic they make the figures from is quite soft, a flexible grippy bit on the belt wouldn't hurt because it would be so small. I can actually think of about ten more solutions but they aren't even worth going into because of the child safety issues. It's either a peg on the saber hilt and a hole on the belt or a grip on the belt to snap the hilt into. hmmmm. Or a magnet on the belt. Forget the magnets in the hand and put it in the belt where it's useful.

Darth Trymybestus
01-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Forget the magnets in the hand and put it in the belt where it's useful.

Didn't Hasbro intend to do that? I mean on Kit Fisto, there's a hole on his belt right where you would place a lightsaber.

187-Maul
01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
POTJ Eeth Koth even has a "saga" lightsaber (remov. blade) but the hilt actually had a pin that can be put in Eeth Koth's belt, don't know why they didn't continue with that:confused: maybe it's harder to do on the metal hilts, and it kinda ruins the whole point of looking accurate with the pin and all
anyways, I love the saga lightsaber, especially the metal hilts, and I haven't broken any of the blades yet (although the remov. blade of E1 sith lord Maul broke off when he fell down, but I just glued it back on, no prob.)

Paul-Kenobi
01-28-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Darth Trymybestus
I think the saga lightsabers, they're the most realistic ones we've had yet, none of mine have ever broken because I only display mine, I don't play with them.
I do have a suggestion for a new lightsaber... it could still have the metal hilt, but instead of say just coloured plastic, it could have a very thin piece of white plastic inside (which would be the white glow) and the colour of the lightsaber on the outside.
Because if you look at the movies, they have a white glow on the inside and then a colour outside.
But yeah, saga lightsabers rock!!!

thats what there going to do with the fan choise number 4 figure sense he comes with a lightsaber there going to do the white core with a blue plastic around it.

i agree with you though they should make the pegs stronger or flexable so if you drop it it won't brake

i've had 4 saber's brake

Anakin Skywalker's HD blue saber

Plo Koon's Saber

Nikto Jedi Lightsaber Blade and hilt!

Extra Plo Koon saber.

nova blue
01-28-2003, 02:35 PM
I know what you mean with the fragile lightsabers. I had to get four replacements from hasbro. It really is weird. Hasbro acts although they would never admit it, that their figures are for children, but how can those flimsy lightsabers withstand any type of rigourous play that children would obviously inflict on them. They seem to be made more for non-openers or adult collectors who only display them or buld diorama. Yet they still cater the line to children. Weird

Jargo
01-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Eeeeexactamundo Watson!!! The evidence mounts to quash the claims to the opposite.

Paul-Kenobi
01-29-2003, 06:35 PM
I may of said this before but i will say it again

Hasbro Needs to release a Lightsaber Pack 1 pack not two 1 that contains every lightsaber made for the Saga figures so this way if we brake a saber we have a kit sure the Target kit has two but the problem is theres only two hilts and two blades not eonugh the pack would contain everythnig metal and plastic sabers hilts and blades

problem solved if colletors are wide in needing Replacement lightsaber or more they will proswade hasbro to release one.