PDA

View Full Version : live-action "The Tick", bet you didn't watch...

JediTricks
11-09-2001, 10:11 AM
...and it's too bad you didn't (along with the rest of the country because Fox hates Family Guy and The Tick; they must, what kind of awful timeslot is it going against Friends and Survivor? May as well have shown these two shows at 4 am) because this show is pretty funny. Batmanuel and Captain Liberty need work ("American Maid" and "Die Fleidermouse" were kept from the show by the copyrights of the cartoon) and Patrick "Puddy" Warburton needs a friggin' TAN (I've seen more color in cadavours), but the show is funny stuff with pretty good production values all while staying somewhere near the Cartoon's high standards of comic-booky writing.

I'm disappointed in Fox's cold-blooded attempted murder of Family Guy (the show that dies at least once every season, I think it's been cancelled more times than it's had seasons!) and The Tick, but even though I doubt Fox has any faith in these 2, I think they should give these 2 shows more seasons, even in this death-slot. If Fox had any faith in their shows, maybe they could actually nurture them till they got ACTUAL audiences and then take on the big Thursday channels.

Starfig873
11-09-2001, 12:01 PM
I cought both, The Tick AND Family Guy last night.

Family Guy, I have found to be hilarious, but people get offended much too easliy by their jokes. I hope that Fox doesn't kill it again (although I wouldn't doubt it happening).

The Tick had me rolling. The Tick's absurd dialogue made the show that much better.

"Who puts gum, on a roof?" :D

Jedi Clint
11-09-2001, 01:43 PM
I'll have to catch it next week. :cry:

LTBasker
11-09-2001, 02:43 PM
I watched it....why....I've no idea... The Tick and Author were funny, the two others seem kinda lame ideas for characters...well, the way they act at least, I didn't watch the cartoon series but I'm guessing those characters were in it.

Somehow, the guy who played the Tick, did the dumbness well. :D
"A treat from the orients!" "Look, a message...from my teeth!"

El Chuxter
11-09-2001, 03:04 PM
Patrick Walliburton was absolutely perfect. Everything else was pretty good--not great, but by no means bad. Maybe I was expecting more because the cartoon was so funny. Captain Liberty was a pale comparison of American Maid, but Batmanuel was exactly what I thought Die Fledermaus would be if not trapped in a "kid's show." It needed to be thirty minutes long.

I don't know if it'll last, though. For fans, the first episode was cool. For folks just watching because they liked The Family Guy and wanted to see what was on afterwards. . . it might not have been enough.

I hope that the cartoon gets released on DVD as a result of the show!

BTW, JT, I think The Family Guy is the only show that's been cancelled and picked back up by Fox more than their early 90s classic, Get A Life. :)

JediCole
11-09-2001, 05:08 PM
I too watched The Tick last night. I've waited almost TWO YEARS for last night. I heard about this show and some of its cast that long ago! I've followed the many changes necessitated by the ownership of characters from the cartoon vs. the comic vs. the new live action show. I agree that Captain Liberty and Batmanuel were a bit underdone, perhaps they should have been held back a show to let the Tick and Arthur bond get more air time. I loved Wallburton's characterization of my favorite blue-suited super hero. "No offense." "None comprehended!"

I had seen little bits and pieces of it on a terribly fuzzy bootleg tape at a toy show (you got to love those tenacious video pirates) about six months ago or longer, so I knew some of the gags already, but was pleasantly surprised. I loved the cameo by Chris Lloyd as Arthur's boss, too. Sadly I already knew about Apocalypse Cow due to the toy show. The only real disappointment for me was that the show seemed too short.

And Fox, one of the networks in love with "scenes from next week's episode" did not follow up with as much in this case, making me wonder if they shot more than one. Experience should show us that Fox and "no faith in our programing" go hand in hand. The X-Files, now on the cusp of entering its NINTH SEASON, was almost canceled by the mighty Fox back in its infancy. Only an outpouring of fan support caused the network of idots to reconsider. Nine seasons and (presumably) millions of dollars in merchandising later it seems they just don't learn their lessons.

If you watched The Tick last night and enjoyed it, or like Mrs. JediCole and I, loved it, write to Fox immediatly. All fans of The Tick need to show Fox that we want alternatives to "reality TV" and the other senseless drivel. I only watch three shows now that are not exclusively the pervue of cable networks, Smallville on Tuesday, Enterprise on Wednesday, and The Tick (assuming it is back next week and the week after) on Thursday.

derek
11-09-2001, 08:45 PM
is the tick played by the same guy who played "puddy, elaine's boyfriend" on seinfeld?

and jedi tricks, you're right on about family guy. i don't know what fox's problem is with that show. and it's not like they have a full programing schedule. but as bad as they are, they will stick with a show longer than the big three. i just found out my new favorite show"alias" on ABC may get pulled after 4 shows. it wasn't on last week and won't be on this week:(

master jedi
11-09-2001, 09:47 PM
dang it!!! I didn't see it.

JediCole
11-10-2001, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by derek
is the tick played by the same guy who played "puddy, elaine's boyfriend" on seinfeld?

Yes, you are right, that is the same guy from Seinfeld (as well as a series of M&M's commercials). And he does a great job as The Tick. I don't think they could have had better casting. There was some fan flack about the fact that this live action incarnation lacks the full cowl of the comic and cartoon versions. I have to agree with the producers and designers. To not give Walburton the opportunity to utilize his mastery of facial expressions would have diminished the effect of the casting.

JediTricks
11-10-2001, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
I had seen little bits and pieces of it on a terribly fuzzy bootleg tape at a toy show (you got to love those tenacious video pirates)You think those are bad? You're right, but I had only seen bits and pieces via REAL PLAYER! So you know it's got to be good. ;) "Is that the Tick, or a Volkswagen?"

I'm glad to see some of you folks actually saw the show, I kinda expected everybody to either watch Friends, Survivor, the Farscape rerun, or turn their TVs off and stick their fingers in their ears while yelling "LA LA LA LA LA!" instead of watching Fox's Thursday night. ;)

Starfig, I agree with you totally about too many people taking offense at Family Guy. I guess they're not enamoured with a toddler scheming to kill his own mother since he was in the womb. And the Tick has a point, who DOES put gum on a roof? I thought that was pretty insightful for the big blue bug.

Basker, I suggest you give the Tick another few eps, I have a feeling the pilot was really too busy with "the gathering" to give the other characters the right feeling. I honestly expected that fortune cookie to say that old gag "help, I'm being trapped in a fortune cookie factory" and then have the Tick go bounding out of the restaurant to save that person. But, a message from one's teeth is the next best thing. ;)

Chux, I know what you mean with the mental comparison to the hilarious cartoon, but I tried to turn that part of my brain off to get past that. ;) I actually expected Warburton to be much more subdued like Puddy was. Puddy was very one-note, low-energy, one non-emotion, but Warburton's Tick was much more "SPOON!" :D

How many seasons did "Get a Life" go through? I only remember 2, so it may have been cancelled more per-episode than Family Guy. ;)

Cole, as for the "coming next week" previews on Fox, they seem to only do it with dramas, action shows, and highly-rated Sunday night comedys. Most of the time, new "That '70s Show" eps don't get a preview either, and they get to show that little extra stuff at the end. I'm hoping the lack of a trailer on The Tick won't be a negative sign.

A call-in campaign may be a good idea, but I think in these days of not being able to trust the mail, more mail may not help (like folks sending silver dust and glitter to Sci-Fi Channel to get "The Invisible Man" un-cancelled, this prompted SFC to publically ask them to find another way to petition). Plus, Fox hates their new shows so much that I don't see a lot of hope if they've made up their mind (I wrote to them about how good "The Lone Gunmen" was, and the next day they announced it was cancelled. :cry: )

I personally am still having a hard time getting used to seeing the Tick's upper face, but the show is funny enough that I know that if it survives, I'll keep watching.

Derek, you should see some of the hate mail Fox gets about "Family Guy"! People from the show's creator's home town gave his FAMILY a hard time - poor Seth McFarlane's mom apparently was harrassed about the show by coworkers for a long time.

I too enjoy Alias, and it'll be coming back in a week, but I fear it's pretty doomed after that ep. I think part of the problem is the show seems to cost more than it's actually making in ratings-to-advertising dollars. ABC has no idea what to put in that 9pm Sunday timeslot either since it's right after their "Wonderful World of Eisner" family time, so anything that goes in the sunday-9pm slot on ABC is pretty doomed.

One thing I really liked was the way Arthur's apartment set was designed extra low to make the Tick look even bigger.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-10-2001, 11:00 AM
I only caught the last half, but it was great! I remember when (strange side tangent here, on the radio right now is "Memories" from Cats) I was collecting comic books and ordering over the phone or by mail from New England Comics, the company that began The Tick. I never really got into the stories, but the few I did read were pretty innanely funny (sometimes that's the best kind!).

I will often get home in the middle of the show, but I'll enjoy what I see, I think.

Obi-Don
11-11-2001, 06:32 AM
I used to watch the Tick cartoon every time it was on,and to me the show was dead on the cartoon. I hope they run it for a while and not take it off too fast[give it a chance]

The family guy was funny to,though I don't watch it a lot.I can see why people can get offended by it,but its only humor right?To me like all tv,radio and books.If it offends you,turn the channel,the dial,or don't read the book. As for me I like the Tick and the Family Guy. :evil:

ThomasLane
11-11-2001, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by derek

Yes. And he also did the voice work for "Kronk" in Emperor's New Groove, "Buzz Lightyear" in the Buzz Lightyear cartoon series, and the evil corporate takeover guy (I think his name was Johnny?) on News Radio. He's been great in everything I've seen (or heard) him in. I haven't seen The Tick yet.

JediTricks
11-12-2001, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by ThomasLane
...and the evil corporate takeover guy (I think his name was Johnny?) on News Radio. He was "Johnny Johnson", who was very memorable in his 5 eps where he wrested control of Jimmy James enterprises away from Jimmy James, was thwarted, and then returned as a homeless bum to marry Lisa. he was originally being considered to replace the late Phil Hartman before they STUPIDLY settled on Jon Lovitz. Man did he suck in that part, killed the show right off. Patrick Warburton would have been 100x funnier as another arrogant radio newscaster.

El Chuxter
11-12-2001, 11:24 AM
So, as far as the cartoon characters, who could show up here? I know we already established elsewhere that American Maid and Die Fleidermaus were no-shows, at least in their cartoon versions, as were Human Bullet and my personal favorite, The Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs At Midnight (though it'd be a perfect role for David Spade). I thought Man-Eating Cow was a comic original and could show up, but it looks like she's been replaced by Apocalypse Cow.

What about Chairface Chippendale, Thrakkazodd (sp?), El Seed, Pineapple Pocono, Speak, or (please please please) the ever-funny Ottoman (along with a cameo by The Most Comfortable Chair in the World)?

SWAFMAN
11-12-2001, 10:20 PM
...that they'd be willing to dupe or loan out? I missed it because I was watching the president's speech. I know most of you don't know me, but I've been fairly active on the MicroMachines forum. I would gladly pay for tape and shipping cost if anyone has the episode. Thanks.

Jedi Clint
11-13-2001, 12:21 AM
I have all 36 episodes of The Tick animated series faithfully recorded on video tape, and I am dying to transfer them to digital media ASAP! I knew when the new series premier was going to be on. I had a tape ready. And I got elbow deep into the innards of a computer, lost myself, and recieved a call from my brother asking if I had seen "that new Tick show" during the credits! I have no one to blame but myself. I feel fairly confident that they will replay this episode at some point, but I am not missing this weeks!!

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 04:53 PM
Is it just me or did anybody else find the second episode to be...well... not as interesting as the first one?

master jedi
11-17-2001, 06:34 PM
I missed the first episode but did catch the 2md one the other day. I thought it was not funny at all.

Magnolia-Fan
11-17-2001, 06:55 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone.

I'll probably give it two more episodes and if I dont see improvement, I'll call it quits.

JediCole
11-18-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
Is it just me or did anybody else find the second episode to be...well... not as interesting as the first one?

Not to impugne Magnolia-Fan or Master Jedi, for those who may have seen the first episode and not the second, I found the second one to be superior to the first. I loved the first episode, despite having many gags ruined by having seen them months earlier, but the second one was able to jump right into the whole dynamic of the four prinicpal characters. Tick and Arthur had already been established in the all too brief confines of the half hour show and the second episode masterfully utilized them while giving Batmanuel and Captain Liberty a chance to shine. Does anyone know where I may have seen the actor who played The Immortal? I couldn't place him beyond being one of those "stock character actors who's name you never recall". Needless to say, I am very much looking forward to where they can go with this series provided Fox doesn't nip it in the bud. To paraphrase Bill Murray in the movie "Stripes", this show is "the little acorn that becomes the mighty oak!"

JediCole
11-18-2001, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by El Chuxter
So, as far as the cartoon characters, who could show up here?

That is an excellent question, Chuxter.

As you have pointed out, a great many favortites of the cartoon will be absent due to inexplicable licensing constraints. Though it appears that it is A-OK to remake them in an obvious nod (as with Bat Manuel and Captain Liberty). It appears that anything from Ben Edlunds wonderful series for NEC is fair game, as evidenced by how much of what appeared there has found its place on both the cartoon and now the live-action show. Man Eating Cow, Chairface Chippendale and Pinapple Pokono all appeared in the same issues of the comic and would be available it would seem for the show. Thraakerzog to my knowledge never appeared in the comic proper (unless it was after I'd stopped buying due to Edlund's absence), however he did appear on some promotional material (then unnamed) including a poster in battle with Mighty Agrippa (God of the Roman Aquaduct), so there is potential there. I personally loved him in the cartoon, sheer brilliance! Speak I believe may have appeared in later issues of the comic before crossing into the cartoon. I know that The Tick's battle cry of "Spoon!" is a comic first, so I am hopeful we will se that soon, as well as Arthur's unique way of serving hot dogs (from the same issue if memory serves). I am unfamiliar with Ottoman, so I am not help there. The Evil Mad Bomber What Bombs at Midnight was, unfortunatly for El Chuxter, a cartoon original and would not be able to appear, at least under that name. Nor would my favorite character (from my favorite Episode ever), Dinosaur Neal. El Seed and (sadly) The Human Bullet are also creations of the cartoon. Also absent will be Crusading Chameleon, Bi-Polar Bear, The Idea Men, and Sewer Urchin.

As for what did appear in the comic and could appear on the show, there was the Dick Tracy-based character who's name escapes me, who was imbroiled in the Chairface storyline. I am hopeful they can do something with the "Mr. Ned and the Caped Wonder" storyline with Clark Oppenheimer, mild mannered reporter. It would be a wonderful counterpoint to the WB's Smallville. Not to mention the fact that I'd love to see Ottercreekite be imortalized on television. The "Sidekick's Lounge" is a possible storyline as well. That would be a great one to persue as it included The Tick vs. The Tick! And of course, I almost forgot one of the best Tick comic characters, Paul the Samurai! We must have Paul and the Ninja hedge! Villains, Inc. would make good fodder for the show as well, though they have already used Red Scare in a different incarnation. Just replace him with an equally unusual villain and you've got a winner. I'll have to go back and reread my Tick comics to cull more possibilities, as the dreadfully slow-paced "Red Eye" storyline is the only other thing that comes to mind.

JediTricks
11-18-2001, 11:26 PM
I think the 2nd ep was quirkier and funnier than the first, but definitely a hard pill to swallow because of the odd format of the ep.

BTW, the Immortal was played by character actor Sam McMurray (http://us.imdb.com/Name?McMurray,+Sam), the guy works and works and works, but never anything memorable. ;)

Starfig873
11-20-2001, 12:15 PM
I thought the second episode was funny! Once again it was one of The Tick's thoughts that had me rolling: "I wonder if I could throw him up there...?"

:D

JediTricks
11-24-2001, 04:34 AM
I liked the dialogue flow of ep 2, I even put a line from it in my SSG forum bio.

JediCole
11-24-2001, 08:36 PM
Does anyone know if Fox aired an episode of The Tick on Thanksgiving Day? Mrs. JediCole said she thought it was to have been an encore of the first episode. I certainly hope that was the case or else there was none. I'd hate to miss a single episode as Fox will undoubtedly cancel the series after only a few weeks, given that they have buried it on Thursday night prime time.

Magnolia-Fan
11-25-2001, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by JediCole
Does anyone know if Fox aired an episode of The Tick on Thanksgiving Day

Nope. They were showing "The Wedding Singer" during Tick's timeslot.

SWAFMAN
11-30-2001, 12:00 PM
I looked for it, but if it was supposed to be on just before Family Guy, then there was something else on in its time slot last night.
:confused:

El Chuxter
11-30-2001, 12:02 PM
I'm wondering/worried about that as well, SWAFMAN. Two weeks on, two weeks off--doesn't bode well for the big blue one. :cry:

I can't fathom why Fox would cancel anything--it's not like they have shows to replace them! Even if I could stomach Grounded for Life or Macolm in the Middle, I couldn't watch them ten times a week!

Wolfwood319
11-30-2001, 12:54 PM
They had the Making of LOTR on last night. Which took place of Tick. Then they had a commercial saying there will be two episodes of Tick on next week. So they're making up for it.

In interesting side note, in Family Guy last night, there was a star wars reference.

Peter Griffin says he'll bet his star wars action figures, except for Boba Fett, no matter how sure he is, he never bets the Fett-man. I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody else catch it?

El Chuxter
11-30-2001, 01:02 PM
Ah, relieved I am. I didn't watch the LOTR special last night--I wanted to see it, but was a bit disgusted that there was no Tick on, so I just set the VCR to tape for an hour (which is how long I thought the special would be), so I'll get to see an episode of The Family Guy that I didn't even know was on, after all! In the immortal words of JediTricks, "In the immortal words of Darth Vader, 'Yippee!'" :D

Magnolia-Fan
11-30-2001, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
Then they had a commercial saying there will be two episodes of Tick on next week. So they're making up for it.

Yes, there will be one on Wednesday and one on Thursday, according to this website:

http://www.pazsaz.com/tick2.html

Wednesday's Episode will be on at 8:30 central time, and Thursday's will be on at the usual 7:30 central time according to tvguide.com

JediTricks
11-30-2001, 11:25 PM
That Family Guy SW-reference was too funny, I've probably said those same words "I'll bet you all my Star Wars guys!" a million times when I was a lad, though I've never felt the need to take the Fett-man out of the picture. :D

As for The Tick getting the boot 2 weeks in a row, I'm afraid that's the death-rattle for the show. It was SWEEPS for Vishnu's sake! Fox has a TERRIBLE past with this sort of thing, this is a very bad sign, when they pull a new show out of sweeps, it means it's dead and they're not going to give it a chance. I hate Fox's lack of commitment to their shows, they give green lights to some pretty cool projects, but then they don't nurture them at all! It's like they had faith in their early shows and took big chances, but now they feel like they don't need faith anymore.

Mag-Fan, thanks for the info on the timeslots for The Tick, I would have missed the Wednesday at 9:30p PST one if you hadn't posted that.

Chux, I'm honored. ;)

El Chuxter
12-01-2001, 11:06 AM
I must thank you as well, Magnolia-Fan. (Hey--do you post on movie poo--never mind.)

Fox does have a horrible track record with shows. I couldn't count all the shows they've hyped to ridiculous extremes, including supposed critical praise, for months prior to release, then cancelled within two weeks. I thought I'd seen the entire season of that college show (I forget the name, but it uses Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow as its theme) long before it aired. They even had a trailer in front of Planet of the Apes!

It seems as if Fox will kill a show unless it's Temptation Island, Malcolm in the Middle, King of the Hill, That 70s Show, or Grounded for Life. Two of those (King of the Hill and That 70s Show) were funny once, but are way past their prime. All these shows can be seen just about any night of the week!

The X-Files? It's still on, but not after Fox tried to kill it, and massacred its spin-off, The Lone Gunmen.

The Family Guy? Killed and resurrected more times than JR Ewing. I think they may have finally found out that it's not smart to cancel highly-rated, Emmy nominated shows.

The Simpsons? It's more an archetype than a show. And if you miss one on Sunday, you can see that episode (or one from just a week or so earlier) later on in the week.

Futurama? Yeah, they support it. Right. That's why it's on an hour before prime time and never gets re-run later in the week.

And I don't understand how MITM stays on. Everyone I know, except for one person, thinks it's a load of crap that recycles Simpsons and Seinfeld jokes.

Sadly, I see doom for the Blue One. :cry:

LTBasker
12-01-2001, 11:42 AM
The Lone Gunmen was a pretty good show, didn't watch it much but caught it when I could. The Simpsons, I think that will never die, and I hope it doesn't. :) Unless of course they just can't come up with anymore episodes and the people don't want to do the voices anymore, they can't replace the voices.

MITM, I wish that show would die, it's so..pointless. It had a few good jokes, but I just don't see any point in it being on...

Family Guy, well it could be improved.

The Tick, well it does have grounds for improving, but I'm suprised it's not doing better...

FOX is making too many bad choices, IMO. Remember when you could sit down and turn on Fox in primetime and there'd be something good on for at least more than an hour or two? I wish they'd take off all the reality TV stuff. Technically, it's not reality, there is still a camera there, and you'd think if reality tv was supposedly so popular, there would be more hyped on road rules and stuff from MTV. :rolleyes:

If FOX thought long and hard on this stuff, I'm sure they could come with some good improvements. I hope... :frus: :frus:

SWAFMAN
12-01-2001, 01:31 PM
I've enjoyed what I've seen of MitM for the parenting parodies. It is funny to see them act out so many of the things I, and I'm sure lots of other parents have experienced or fleetingly wished to do in real-life parenting. Sure, it's caricaturized, but that's makes it all the more funny. The parts of that show and so many others which I do NOT like are when they perpetuate the concept that it is perfectly normal to talk back to, get over on, and to disrespect adults, and that adults - husbands/fathers in particular - are bumbling goofs. I'm really tired of this message being ingrained into the minds of our kids through the media.

JediCole
12-03-2001, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Wolfwood319
In interesting side note, in Family Guy last night, there was a star wars reference.

Peter Griffin says he'll bet his star wars action figures, except for Boba Fett, no matter how sure he is, he never bets the Fett-man. I thought it was pretty funny. Anybody else catch it?

I too saw this episode of the oft-ill-fated Family Guy. I loved that Star Wars reference too! The fact that they were Star Wars "guys" really made the joke.

Ironically, earlier that same day, I caught a few minutes of Batman Beyond and when the kid who is the new Batman was asked if he was going to investigate something, he said, "Does Jar Jar stink?" Wow! Two Star Wars references on two cartoons in one day! Coincidence I know as the BB was probably a rerun.

JediTricks
12-04-2001, 12:46 AM
"Probably a rerun"? BatBeyond has been out of production for about 6 months, this one originally aired last year IIRC.

JediCole
12-05-2001, 03:53 PM
At last! We get a new (3rd episode) of The Tick tonight! I can't wait. I thought I'd bring this thread closer to the surface so we can all post our thoughts after it airs. And another one to follow tomorrow night! Time will tell if we will get a fifth episode next Thursday, however.
Curse you Fox! Curse you!

Magnolia-Fan
12-05-2001, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
"Probably a rerun"? BatBeyond has been out of production for about 6 months, this one originally aired last year IIRC.

As a sidenote, Cartoon Network will be showing the final episode of Batman Beyond on Dec. 18.

It will be the first time it has ever aired. It was never shown on WB.

Magnolia-Fan
12-05-2001, 10:06 PM
CRAP!

Just realized I missed The Tick!

master jedi
12-05-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Magnolia-Fan
CRAP!

Just realized I missed The Tick!

No big loss. It wasn't that good anyway.

JediTricks
12-06-2001, 03:48 AM
Mag-fan, thanks for the 411 on BB, I've written down that date in my calendar.

Wolfwood319
12-06-2001, 04:52 AM
I have a feeling we won't be seeing too many more episodes of the Tick. This show was doomed for failure.

In a similar scenario to the Clerks cartoon that aired a few years ago when Who Wants to Be a Millionaire first came on, the Tick has been pushed back and pushed back, and then finally released at the worst possible time slot.

The Tick was originally supposed to be on a year ago, but was replaced by Fox's own reality based crap-fest known as Temptation Island. Over a year later it is paired up with the show-that-will-not-die, Family Guy. And on Thursday to boot, the most competitive night of the week for sitcoms.

I think its funny that no more than 1 year ago, all the rage was reality based TV shows, but now, they're pulling in XFL ratings.

I would really like it if they released all the original cartoons on DVD format. The cartoon show was the greatest, and very true to the character in the NEC comics. The current show has its moments, but doesn't hold a candle to the cartoon.

Lord Malakite
12-06-2001, 11:39 AM
I agree with you Wolfwood, the cartoon was better. You know what is really sad about Fox though. Not only do they kill off shows before they have a chance, they kill off shows that do prevail. That is what happened with the cartoon version of The Tick. Fox decided kill off the show not because it sucked, but because it was drawing its fame from adult viewers instead of children like they wanted.

master jedi
12-06-2001, 04:58 PM
Talking about shows that are doomed to die what ever happened to 'The Lone Gunman'? That show was pretty good.

JediTricks
12-07-2001, 03:49 AM
I really liked The Lone Gunmen, I hated how they axed it at the cliffhanger and gave a TINY mention of this in the season opener of The X-files.

As for the Wednesday Tick ep, I thought it was easily their weakest outing, but it still had moments. Seems like they really want it to be "Superhero Seinfeld" and it hampers the writing, they don't feel free enough to break out of sitcom-ville.

Starfig873
12-07-2001, 07:15 AM
Well Thursday's Tick I think made up for Wednesdays. Amazingly it was Bat Manuel that had me laughing in this episode. :D

Family Guy was pretty funny too. :p

JediCole
12-07-2001, 05:00 PM
I missed The Family Guy, but did see both Wednesday and Thursday's Tick episodes. I have to agree about Batmanuel. I really think he is the breakaway character of the series. He is the know-it-all, self-important, showboating epitome of the super-hero dynamic. His self-agrandizing statements are a nice counterpoint to The Tick's unique educated stupidity. He is the most elloquent idiot in television history. You can certailny see Ben Edlund's influence in the scripts. No one writes the mighty blue cudgel of justice and liberty like Mr. Edlund!

JediTricks
12-07-2001, 11:10 PM
Yeah, last night's ep was way better than Wednesday's. "I.P. Daley" indeed. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2001, 11:45 PM
So, The Tick is already running reruns?!? To paraphrase, that's not so good. Make more, people! Capt. Liberty is a hottie, and the rest of the cast is funny. I eagerly await more episodes from Fox!

JediTricks
12-22-2001, 11:15 AM
Ok, how does this make sense? Fox puts on a rerun of The Tick in its regular Thursday night timeslot, but puts on a new ep the next day that's funny (if a bit unbalanced)... huh?:confused:

JediCole
12-26-2001, 04:18 PM
It appears that we will have to be vigilant if we want to catch new episodes of The Tick. I watched last Thursday, despite the fact that I'd already seen the episode, only because it was one of my favorites. I am certainly glad I did, because I NEVER would have known there was a NEW episode on Friday! I almost didn't watch, but Mrs. JediCole had control of the computer, so I decided to stay with The Tick.
As for those who have complained that the show is already airing re-runs, what about Smallville and Enterprise. Both of those shows, launched within a month or so of The Tick are showing re-runs! Why is it so surprising that the same is happening with The Tick. At least if Fox is willing to show reruns, they have not commited to killing the show yet. I think this is a good thing, all things considered. I know the show is not out of the proverbial woods yet, this is Fox after all, but it is a good sign.
And personally, I loved the Friday episode. The concept was wonderful and the interplay with Tick and Champion was priceless!

SWAFMAN
01-03-2002, 09:18 PM
I was able to siphon an .avi of the live-action pilot episode of The Tick. The quality isn't great and it says "Not for air" in the lower portion , but it was good enough to enjoy. It is 58MB. If anyone is interested, let me know.

stillakid
01-03-2002, 10:42 PM
I finally did catch the live action Tick and was terribly disappointed. It never captured the essence of the comic book or the animated version. "Puddy" was too constrained trying to be "The Tick", which he couldn't pull off. Maybe if he was allowed to be more like himself it would've worked better.

And his sidekicks are just awful. Copyright aside, if they couldn't use the original Fledermaus and American Maid concepts, they shouldn't have done it at all. I was developing a part live action/part animated feature version of The Tick, but this horrible rendition has all but killed any hope for the future. Damn them.