PDA

View Full Version : 4 Marines died

sith_killer_99
01-25-2003, 11:03 PM
While protecting our borders the other day 4 Marines died.

My thoughts and prayers to the families.

Jedi Master Silas
01-27-2003, 05:59 PM
Our borders?? When and where? I missed something...

The Overlord Returns
01-28-2003, 01:36 PM
They were patrolling in helicopters and they crashed.

Hmm....I wonder if there was a memorial thread when US jetfighters killed 4 canadian soldiers........???

sith_killer_99
01-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Yes, there was, and I found that comment in bad taste.

BTW, those pilots stood trial for their accident. I was truely sorry for the loss of life and what happened, but I see no need to dig up such a tragedy. It has nothing to do with this particular thread, except to start a flame war.

The Marines who died did so trying to fight illegal drug trafficing.

Jedi Master Silas
01-28-2003, 01:39 PM
Whats that supposed to mean?? I hope you didnt mean that the way it sounded.

The Overlord Returns
01-28-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by sith_killer_99

Is there? I've done several searches of titles, and I can find nothing.

BTW, those pilots stood trial for their accident. I was truely sorry for the loss of life and what happened, but I see no need to dig up such a tragedy. It has nothing to do with this particular thread, except to start a flame war.

I am aware of that. The trial is still on. I just found the lack of comment in general on that event...interesting.

The marines died when 2 helicopters went down during night reconaissance exercises.

sith_killer_99
01-31-2003, 01:49 AM
Well, here's the link that took me all of 5 min. to find:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6642&highlight=Canada

I just found the lack of comment in general on that event...interesting.

Why? that issue was about the war on terror overseas that took place several months ago.

I also didn't mention any of the US soldiers who died in Afghanistan. So what...it wasn't the point of this thread.

The point was to express my sympathy for the families who just lost their loved ones. Hence my post:

My thoughts and prayers to the families.

The Overlord Returns
01-31-2003, 08:35 AM
Well, here's the link that took me all of 5 min. to find:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6642&highlight=Canada

Why? that issue was about the war on terror overseas that took place several months ago.

I also didn't mention any of the US soldiers who died in Afghanistan. So what...it wasn't the point of this thread.

The point was to express my sympathy for the families who just lost their loved ones. Hence my post:

Not the same thing at all. Those were political discussion topics, not memorials. I didn't bother posting links to these in this discussion.

Look SK, I asked a question...you're the one who got his knickers in a twist. Besides, didn't we let this go 3 days ago?

Emperor Howdy
01-31-2003, 02:24 PM

Oh, don't take Overlord's comments to heart. He's always taking shots at the US. I used to get offended, because I didn't realize he was Canadian. Then, when I found out he was, I found his comments funny....even his attacks on Bush. Here's a man who can't stand Bush, but washes the arse of that international embarrassment Chretien. Canada's health system is in the crapper.....their military is comparable to a group of chimpanzees with rocks and sticks.....but we're the problem. :rolleyes: Anyway, I've come to realize that TOR thinks most Americans are arrogant and one-sided. Sure, we'll start a memorial for the downed marines, but not for the Canadian soldiers. What I'd hope he also realizes is that there are probably more Americans here that Canadians. Other than him, mabudon, and Mandalorian Candidate (I think)....I don't know of any others. So, common sense would dictate that Overlord should have started the thread himself, just like sith_killer did his. Many, including myself, would've responded with sympathies. So, the lesson learned here is: the reason there's not a Canadian memorial thread here at SirSteve's is because Overlord didn't give enough of a damn to start one. :happy:

The Overlord Returns
01-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Emperor Howdy
Here's a man who can't stand Bush, but washes the arse of that international embarrassment Chretien.

Actually, Chretien is highly respected among his international counterparts, despite his rough relationship with Dubya, he got along swell with your last 2 term government. While Chretien is by no means an ideal prime minister, he's a good bit better than what you've got down there. In his terms as PM, we've seen our deficit eradicated, and our employment rates soar. In just three years, your boy has sat by as your economy tanked and your unemployment rates rose. As for international embarrassment, you've got one living in the white house who cannot pronounce "Nuclear" ;)

I've come to realize that TOR thinks most Americans are arrogant and one-sided. Sure, we'll start a memorial for the downed marines, but not for the Canadian soldiers. What I'd hope he also realizes is that there are probably more Americans here that Canadians. Other than him, mabudon, and Mandalorian Candidate (I think)....I don't know of any others. So, common sense would dictate that Overlord should have started the thread himself, just like sith_killer did his. Many, including myself, would've responded with sympathies. So, the lesson learned here is: the reason there's not a Canadian memorial thread here at SirSteve's is because Overlord didn't give enough of a damn to start one. :happy:

You seem to be unable to listen to people, Howdy. Many a times we have had this same argument over and over again, with you claiming I hate all americans, when it couldn't be more false. I Have problems with your government, and at times, your overblown sense of yourselves. I still love your country, and the majority of its people (hell, I even like you,as cute and funny as your patriotic image is).

There are many canadians here, but that's not really the point. I asked a question, and SK lost it. I'm not going to apologize for him being sensitive, and assuming I was looking for a fight.

as for these memorial threads.....if we posted everytime someone died who made it onto the news....we'd be wasting a whole world of board space.

Porcelina
01-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Here's a man who can't stand Bush, but washes the arse of that international embarrassment Chretien. Canada's health system is in the crapper.....their military is comparable to a group of chimpanzees with rocks and sticks.....but we're the problem.

ahem... this is most definitely off topic, but since you brought it up....
canada was voted best country in the world in which to live for 6 consecutive years, and has now fallen slightly short of norway and sweden.... america, you ask? consistently a few notches lower... so i wouldn't be too quick with your jabs... you swing too hard, you might miss ;)

Emperor Howdy
02-01-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Porcelina
ahem... this is most definitely off topic, but since you brought it up....
canada was voted best country in the world in which to live for 6 consecutive years, and has now fallen slightly short of norway and sweden.... america, you ask? consistently a few notches lower... so i wouldn't be too quick with your jabs... you swing too hard, you might miss ;)

I see. Well, that changes everything! I will be packing my bags tomorrow and heading off to.......errr.......Nor.....way......umm....yeah. :stupid:

Good God, Porcelina, give me a break. :rolleyes: I'm suuuure Canada, Sweden, and Norway are as cool as a Zeppelin reunion in my backyard, but I'll pass, thanks.

Out of curiosity, who was doing the voting?

Porcelina
02-01-2003, 09:33 AM
dude, i wasn't trying to convince you to MOVE to canada (or norway or sweden..although apparently they're gorgeous countries)

but if you make a crack at my country, as un-patriotic as I usually am, I'm gonna counter your attack... :)

you seem to get all huffed up when someone makes a negative comment about america, or its government..... surely the best (or most mature)
response isn't to start randomly attacking other people's countries (I could make a witty remark there involving prez. bush, but nevermind..)

and it's the UN who decides on the best country..... :) cheers!

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 09:59 AM
as for these memorial threads.....if we posted everytime someone died who made it onto the news....we'd be wasting a whole world of board space.

Let's see:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17310

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17059

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16727

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4694

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17487

It looks like I'm not the only one who has decided to start a memorial thread. Just because noone from up north decided not to that dosen't meant that I shouldn't stsart one for US Maries who just died. If Steve doesn't want certain threads he will let us know.

I happen to think that defending our borders is a nobel cause and I was saddened to hear of the accident.

EH is correct, had there been a simple memorial thread (not pointing fingers or bashing the US) I would have expressed my condolances to the families of those Canadian Soldiers who died. I am always sorry to hear of the senseless loss of life.

I 'lost it' because what you posted was inflamitory. If your beef was with "memorial threads" then why haven't you posted your concerns about the Canadian Soldiers in any of the other memorial threads.

Your beef was with the fact that this thread was dedicated to US Military men who died, plain and simple. You had a beef because a US Military pilot killed Canadian Soldiers and now here I was posting a memorial thread about US Military men who died.

I won't get too deep into the whole political debate, except to say that it was not Bushs fault he inherited an economy that was on a downward slide. However, despite what others would have us believe the US economy grew by 2.5 percent for 2002 and has grown by .7 percent during the last fiscal quarter. Oh, and let's not forget that Alan Greenspan is the financial genius who sets rates and manages the economic growth for this nation.

I'm a straight shooter and I just call 'em as I see 'em. As a wise man once said "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, with my life your right to say it." As a US Soldier I swore an oath to defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies foregin and domestic.

My patriotism and flag waving may seem "cute" to you, but I guarantee that I take it as seriously as my Grandfather did when he served in WWII! I do not poke fun at your being Canadian or loving your country, please do not poke fun at Americans for their patriotism.

mabudonicus
02-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Sheesh, this is a big deal, eh???
Everybody just breathe, please...
Yes, Howdy swings hard, he's used to working with unyielding stumps and such...
I hope you guys got this sorted out, cause no-ones going to win the way this situation is set up....
I just posted here cause I have no problems with the combatants and don't want to see ill will spread, I know SK99 and TOR, you guys are both outspoken... ya shouldn't be fighting, though, PLEASE don't keep this up!!

Back on topic, I remember the thread about our soldiers dying, it was a bad deal all round, and as far as I know, no-one from SSG was involved in the incident...
I am sorry to hear of the loss of Marines, as well, knowing what you're all about (SK99) I can understand how it might be a different deal for you than it would be for a lot of people, American and otherwise, I say that it is indeed an unfortunate incident, hopefully not one that will be repeated.
Please, TOR, don't keep rocking the boat, I won't take sides, but from a "debate" like this, no-one wins, this is the same way wars start on a big scale, only here it is only a model.

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 10:15 AM
Mabudon is right, I would like to appologize if I seemed to have gotten carried away.....

I love you man.;)

2-1B
02-01-2003, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
Hmm....I wonder if there was a memorial thread when US jetfighters killed 4 canadian soldiers........???

Now, now, you accuse SK99 of getting his knickers twisted, but how the above comment could be taken as anything other than snippy is beyond me. :)

Overlord, if you hurry you can add your whining to the Shuttle Columbia thread. :(

mabudonicus
02-02-2003, 09:20 AM
Right, see??? Let's listen to some Beatles albums and let this be the last of it.

(sorry if I came off too soft, I just hate to see friends argue)

:happy: :happy:

Emperor Howdy
02-02-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by mabudon
Yes, Howdy swings hard, he's used to working with unyielding stumps and such...

:D :D LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!! :D :D

Touche! :happy: ;)