PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Darkness Falls tonight and let me tell....

Turbowars
01-26-2003, 12:21 AM
(Spoiler)the MM Fairy doesn't look anything like the Fairy in the film. I know, I know we already knew this, but I thought it might look a little like it, but the fairy in the film has a mask on. I wonder if the value will go up a tad, probably not. Oh and it was OK. The Ring was better, but that's not saying to much. I haven't seen a horror film that freaked me out more than "THE THING" Remake.

2-1B
01-26-2003, 12:33 AM
From what I heard, the film was butchered to go for a PG-13 rating.
I doubt the figure will increase in value, it's not like they made a running change when the design changed . . .

Turbowars
01-26-2003, 12:38 AM
True, but maybe McF will produce a correct version later on in another MM series.

Beast
01-26-2003, 12:51 AM
I doubt they will issue a movie correct version. The current version doesn't even sell that well. He pegwarms like the "Candyman" did. The movie was pretty crappy all around. I heard that the movie "They" that came out a while ago is similar, and actually better.

The storyline started out ok, but the movie just left me flat. The original designs for the tooth fairy were intresting, but not anything that blew me away. The final design actually seems a bit better, but didn't blow me away either. :)

There's a few gapping plot holes as well, that I'll be intrested in hearing them try to push asside when it comes out on DVD. If they even bother to go to the expense of recording an audio commentary for the movie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
01-26-2003, 02:21 AM
Darkness Falls must be pretty terrible if it's worse than They.

Prince Xizor
01-26-2003, 02:54 PM
I had no intention of seeing that movie. It looked like junk. I saw Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind instead.

Turbowars
01-26-2003, 10:12 PM
and.......

Prince Xizor
01-27-2003, 12:27 AM
and...... your mom.

Ratts Tyerell
02-03-2003, 11:15 PM
Darkness Falls was a comedy. I enjoyed it in that it was so bad it was hilarious.

"I own these woods!"
"Here, let me get that gravel out of your scalp."

Turbowars
02-03-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Prince Xizor
and...... your mom. I see that someone wants to feel pain.

Beast
02-03-2003, 11:25 PM
It wasn't supposed to be a comedy. And even the somewhat funny lines failed miserably. They were groan inducing. Which is unfortunate, cause there isn't that many good horror films made now adays. Oh well, atleast The Ring and Final Destination 2 were good. :)

MTFBWU and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
02-03-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Caesar
Darkness Falls must be pretty terrible if it's worse than They.

My thoughts exactly! I can't imagine how this could even be possible! They didn't even have a complete story arc! Even if they had been intending to make a sequel...there still wasn't enough story to hook anyone in.

To answer a question - Confessions of a Dangerous Mind totally rocks! Especially if you actually remember The Dating Game and The Gong Show ($1.98 Beauty Pageant anyone?)! Chuck Barris was, and always will be a PIMP!

Also - JJB, I'm sure you meant to refer to The Toothfairy as "SHE"?

Beast
02-03-2003, 11:48 PM
Well, the original design that was used for the McFarlane Toy doesn't look very female. But yes, I did mean She. Oops. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-04-2003, 01:21 AM
Speaking of "They", I heard that the original plot and script was superior to what ended up getting made. I actually found a link to a copy of the original script. After reading it, and hearing about the actual film that was made, I wonder why the hell they ditched the cool script. :stupid: If any of you that actually saw the movie, would give the script a read, I would love to hear your thoughts. :)

http://www.joblo.com/scripts/they2.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

RooJay
02-04-2003, 02:03 PM
MUCH better than what we ended up with! MUCH.

Although the whole thing starts out a bit conveniently (good thing they just happened to be talking about monsters just before they hit one with their car, otherwise they might have just thought it was an animal! Good thing also that Julia just happened to meet that little girl before they went on their trip! :rolleyes: ), but all-in-all it was quite the decent script! Did I mention that it was MUCH better than the movie? Especially once the action moved into the city! It's really too bad that so much changed from page to screen; especially since this script seemed genuinely frightening!
I did hav a few problems with it, though. First, what did any of what ended up happening have to do with boogeymen in the closets and under the beds? It seems like that element was pushed aside once the action moved out of the cabin and we actually started to find out what was really up. Why was it that no one in the city ever seemed to notice the copious amounts of alien looking metal pieces that seemed to strewn liberally about the ground? I know San Fran can be a really weird place at times, but being someone that lives in the area I think it's safe to say that people would notice alien bolts dropping out of peoples pants and leaving trails all over the town. Also, the script seemed to borrow a bit liberally a times from other horror films and even some comics; though honestly - how much horror being produced nowadays is even mostly original?! I managed to recognize bits and pieces from Hellraiser, Virus, the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and there were some notably striking similarities to J. M. Stracyzinski's Midnight Nation comic series (an EXCELLENT read, by the way)!
It's also interesting to note that the script is considerably more gory than the movie that was eventually released. More intersting still when you consider how many PG13 rated horror films have been released of late (Darkness Falls being just one of many). Are film studios actually holding back on us where the horror genre is concerned in favor of more youth friendly ratings? I would much prefer that they start making horror for adults again, and stop toning them down for the benefit of kids whose parents don't believe it's their responsibility to regulate what their children watch themselves.

...and to JJB - you mean you didn't notice the shapely figure and the breasts on McFarlane's Tooth Fairy?!;)

RooJay
02-04-2003, 02:36 PM
Almost forgot - the descriptions in that script of the dark shapes in the photographs reminds me of a lot of the photos posted at ghoststudy.com (http://www.ghoststudy.com/gallery.html) . Not that I believe in ghosts at all, but the pictures are really interesting and some of them are pretty wild! Check them out!

Beast
02-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Nope, never noticed them RooJay. I guess I have better things to be obsessed over, then a pair of plastic breasts on an action figure. Don't we all wish that everyone could say the same. *coughSlaveLeiacough* :crazed: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-05-2003, 08:26 PM
The discussion kind of mutated off topic, but the movie definatly has bombed. Columbia is rushing it out on DVD, just three months since it opened. Obviously an attempt to try to recoup and make some money off the DVD release. It opened on 1/24/03 in theaters, and the DVD release is coming 4/29/03. :p :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
02-06-2003, 06:22 PM
Now that's SAD!

Beast
02-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Specs are out now for the DVD release, figured I would pass them on for Turbie and anyone else who were intrested. Apperantly they did go to the expense of making a decent S.E. DVD release, likely to try to recoup costs on the theatrical bomb. Two commentaries and likely a cheap retail price may make me pick this up, more so for the features then the film. I hope one of those commentaries explains some of the huge plot holes. :)

Just in from Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment are the full specs for Darkness Falls, making its speedy DVD debut on April 29th. This one includes anamorphic widescreen and full screen transfers on the same disc, an English 5.1 Dolby surround track, two audio commentaries (participants not specified), the "Dark Origins: The Tooth Fairy" and "The Making of Darkness Falls" featurettes, deleted scenes, storyboard comparisons, and the trailer. Retail is $26.95.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks