PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Hasbro's Fans' Choice Figure Polls are run fairly?

Tycho
01-26-2003, 11:44 PM
Since the 5th Fans' Choice Poll opened up at Hasbro's Official Star Wars site last December 23, folks here at SSG have been discussing it, for 235 posts, following the results on a day to day basis (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16673) and then with a huge change in the leading character's percentages of the vote, I challenged Hasbro's poll results as fraudulent (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17111) and there were 102 responses to that, including me questioning whether my initial hypothesis was wrong.

As things have cooled down a lot now, with Hasbro's promise to make us both figures, Captain Antilles and General Dodonna, Steve thought it would be a good idea to take a vote and see how fair we all thought the election actually was being run.

Feel free to comment, or join the other discussions I've posted the links to above. Chances are it's been said already. Now we're just really voting on how everyone thinks the process went.

Beast
01-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Well, the first three polls did have some problems. But Hasbro got it fixed up halfway thru the 3rd poll, and saved us from being plagued with the Twi'lek Masseuses over Ephant Mon. But I was still happy with the winners of the first 2, Duros and Amanaman are great figures. And no complaints about Ephant Mon winning, he's the beefiest figure hasbro has ever made.

Then we had the 4th poll, where where most of us split over General Rieeken and the Imperial Dignitary. Which made it alot easier for the people that do stuff the ballot box, leading to us getting the Imperial SketchTrooper. The sketches look nice, but Rieeken and especially the Dignitary were more deserving.

Hopefully the Dignitary is on the way this year, from the release lists we saw. But they should release Rieeken as well, to calm some of the folks with bad feelings over the 4th poll. I don't think we would have gotten the stuffed vote winner, if so many collectors didn't split the vote. Harder for people with too much time on thier hands, to stuff votes if the figure in the lead is ahead by a lot.

The latest one, while originally seeming to be hacked or stuffed, actually seemed to be for the first time almost totally honest. Tycho's thought there was cheating, but that was due to him assuming there was a million votes. Ended up only 18,000 had been cast when it ended. And that the huge changes were mostly due to the E-Mails that StarWars.com and Hasbro sent out that week. They said that the votes doubled when the Hasbro E-Mail went out.

The only real complaints I could have about the last poll, was that I wish that Senator Yarua would have gotten another 150+ votes so Hasbro would have decided to declare that Antilles won, and that Dodonna and Yarua were so close that they were both coming. But I'm sure we'll see him in time, after how good he did in the poll. But for now, bring on those old Rebel guys. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
01-27-2003, 02:36 AM
I've been pretty happy with the polls so far. That could partially be due to picking all five winners though. Yes, I voted for the Sketch Trooper. :evil: I am kind of disappointed with a few of the choices they have included in the previous polls though, like the Rebel disguised as a Scout Trooper.

Beast
01-27-2003, 05:36 AM
Yeah, the polls have all turned out pretty good. The only one that was a huge disapointment to most people was the 4th one. And I don't think Hasbro had a fix in for that one. Hell, all the top Hasbro guys at Cel 2, said they thought for sure that the Imperial Dignitary was a shoe in. I doubt they would state that, and then Hasbro would put the fix in for the SketchTrooper.

It wasn't until so many fans split the vote between Riekeen and the Dignitary, that the Sketchtrooper was able to get a lead. I've met a lot who did really vote for him, so his win could have been actual, what with the splitting of the vote. But it still seems a bit wonky. Oh well, the design sketches look good, so I will probably get one. I would have preferred the Dignitary though. If Hasbro wanted an obscure StormTrooper in the poll, they should have put the Imperial SpaceTrooper from ANH in the poll. Now that's obscure and actually from the movie.

As for the Rebel Soldier disguised as ScoutTrooper figure, it really was an excellent choice for the poll. Really obscure, and many real fans don't even know about the charecter. So it wouldn't be a huge seller if they did make it. Not to mention Hasbro used the wrong picture of the charecter who was that Rebel Soldier. Likely because they didn't have a good one for the poll. And then Hasbro said that if he was made, he wouldn't have a removable helmet. So that killed his chance right then. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jedi master sal
01-27-2003, 08:55 AM
I think that the polls have been mediocre at best. While I did like Ellors, Amanaman, and Ephant Mon, I too am disturbed by the sketchtrooper winning and now a slput decision. (For the record I am glad that hasbro is producing both of these guys.) I also wanted General Reikan (Sp?). I've always maintained that those characters who have/had speaking parts should be made first. At least they had SOMETHING to contribute. I'd like to see more SPECIFIC imperials such as Admiral Ozzel, General Veers (Not AT-AT commander, but the "class A" uniform. Even some non-descript officers. How about a basic Imperial Lieutenant (SP?) In the greenih/grayish outfit. Don't get me wrong I like the Imp Officer in the black outfit, but he has no rank insignia.

Now here's another thing along these lines that might spark debate...

How about Hasbro having a poll for figures/creatures/ships we WANT to be rereleased. I for one would like to see the Wampa again. Although I got him, many of my collecting buds have not. And I'd rather see people get them at retail for cheap instead of EBAY scalper prices. Also if Hasbro was to have this sort of poll, maybe they'd get the idea that we don't want to see 15 million luke/han/chewie.....so on variations. Finish with the wonderful plethora of characters who hava as yet not been made. This includes Episode 3 characters as well. Then and ONLY then should they start thinking about resculpts.

Most kids (Under 14) don't identify with the original trilogy like us "oldtimers" and really don't see the need for the classic characters, but they do identify with the prequels. So, the big "H" should concentrate on prequels while supplanting the collectors wishes with a figure we REALLY want. How many different polls have we run or how many other sites have run polls on who they'd like to see. I don't recall a sketchtrooper in any of these. And Reikan, Capt. Antilles, Gen. Jan Dodanna, Crix Madine, Imp Dignatary were all up there.

So finally in closing, Hasbro keep producing the figures and we'll buy them, but give us a break once in awhile from the resculpts and thanks at least for the fan figures but litsen or read these types of sites. You don't need to have a poll. All the market research you need is right here.

Thanks folks for letting me vent a little.

evenflow
01-27-2003, 09:04 AM
I think that for the most part they are cool. I just truly believe that they fixed the Concept Stormtrooper to win. There is no possible way that i can accept that he was legit in beating the Imperial Dignitary. This last poll was a little uncertain, but i am happywith the results i guess. I would have preferred Yarua.

Jerjerrod
01-27-2003, 11:01 AM
I don't know if it's now fair or not, but I'm generally happy with the figures that have won in the past. Antilles and Dodonna are my top 2 choices this year anyways. Ephant became my favorite figure in the saga line, Amanamanaman and Ellors were popular like any other alien. As long as the figures that win are desired by collectors, and well sculpted, anything is fine by me.

TheDarthVader
01-27-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Jerjerrod
Amanamanaman

You have one too many men on that one :)
It's Amanaman. I do think that the poll with the sketchtrooper was wrong...I would have prefered Rieekan or the Imperial Dignitary. Oh well, I won't loose sleep over it. I am happy with Dodonna and Antilles.

zeroplate
01-27-2003, 01:43 PM
win or lose, we favorite or not, it's all a folly if you believe that an internet fan poll is tantamount to democracy. and who are star wars fans to demand democracy in the production of action figures in the first place? hasbro can make all the obscure characters with no play-value and then kill the licence altogether... trust me, it's happened in other lines. NO ONE wanted all the obscure x-men figures that toy biz was making, and as a result, they went from making a terrific fringe characters in droves to making 5 figure assortments once a year with the same major players each time in new costumes. so with the rebel officers and cantina aliens of the world... be careful what you wish for.

my take on it is, the point of having a poll is that it is a fun way to interact with hasbro/the star wars licence and nothing more. whether the poll has, or should have any affect on the real production schedule at hasbro is a question i wouldn't even ask, because the answer is likely to be disappointing. the very fact that anyone is producing figures of little-seen, largely unknown rebel officers (or any of the other unlikely toys) for a die-hard group of collectors and fans should be met with open arms and smiles-ballot stuffing or no. why mar such a simple, playful thing as the enjoyment of toys over speculation that the votes and interests of fans are not taken into account?

still, i like to point to the fact that NO OTHER COMPANY is doing anything remotely like fan-choice figures anyway. remember the he-man 'design a figure' contest? the winning character never showed up.

i'm not pro-hasbro, anti-fan, i just feel like it's much ado about nothing. so much energy and enthusiasm spilled over which peg-warmer we'll see in the fall.:confused:

NRPeace
01-27-2003, 03:14 PM
I don't know whether the poll was rigged, and, to be honest, I don't care. Hasbro keeps making 'em, and I keep buying 'em. But I will say, that anyone who took the effort to rig an internet poll really has way too much time on his hands.

Jargo
01-27-2003, 03:35 PM
Actually, considering that Lego make minifigs which technically constitute action figures, You'll find that Lego ask their consumer base about 'specials' they want making. It's acctually not the same because it's more about getting old stuff re-released but in essense it amounts to the same with the public voting on several choices. Lego has more of a solid interaction with consumers and they certainly have a better respect for consumers. They're currently branching out into real world reatail stores and plan on shaping the stores around consumers rather than forcing consumers to bend around them.
The fans choice polls are totally useless. All these choices and all these votes, if people can be bothered to vote at all then it says there's interest in all the choices so they should just stop the shenanigans and make all the choices irrespective of polls and just can the voting process. Half the losers are being made anyway so it's all totally pointless and to say it's fun is silly. I'd far rather they put up a poll to ask what not to make. Whether we actually want our figures with action features or not, whether we prefer preposed or articulated figures. That would be constructive polling not this idiotic charade that passes for the fan's choice now.

obi-dad
01-27-2003, 03:57 PM
I think JarJarBinks & jedi master sal summed up my feelings perfectly. I definitely won't be buying a sketchtrooper (but I wouldn't throw it away or trade it if I won one from one of these sites. I still can't believe Rieken didn't win. I would have even been very happy with the Imperial Dignitary, but I'm still in therepy & anger managment classes after the result of that poll. I was thrilled with the Duro, Amanaman, & Ephant Mon (now if I can just find one). There are still several other losing entries I would love to see made (especially Yarael Poof) besides of course, Rieekan & the Dignitary.

Darth Trymybestus
01-27-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
If Hasbro wanted an obscure StormTrooper in the poll, they should have put the Imperial SpaceTrooper from ANH in the poll. Now that's obscure and actually from the movie.

What in the blazes is one of those?!:)

Tycho
01-27-2003, 06:06 PM
When the Falcon is being brought into the Death Stars, several troopers are shown monitoring the guns that defend the docking bays. Since presumably they are in space with no gravity and no oxygen out there, it is assumed that they are "space troopers."

The figures on our screens were too small to see whether the production team in 1975-6 made them any different from regular stormtroopers.

When interest in SW resurged in 1991, author Timothy Zahn might have thought about this too, and he made absolute, definitive spacetroopers - sort of like RoboTech shells that stormtroopers could climb into, and have thrusters to move them in zero gravity. There may also be these larger spacetrooper suits, and plain zero-gravity armor, these 2 being different from each other. In 1998, Hasbro seemed to try and do an EU figure that crossed these concepts, taking elements from both of them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resculpts of main characters WILL be done every year. Kids who were 2 years old when TPM came out, were 5 when they saw AOTC in the theaters. I'm sure their parents showed them the Classics on VHS by now. How do they get SW figures of Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie specifically? How does Hasbro create collectors who maybe weren't around for the Cantina Band Member figure, but might want Antilles or Rieeken? Old school folks sometimes drop out; Hasbro needs young blood just so they have enough profits (each year) from all of us, to justify Dodonna and Yarua.

Likely, these polls are for figures they've already seen demanded on other websites. I sent them our results for the Cantina, Jabba's, and the Senate, too - a market sample of thousands of votes. Then they get 18 times as many with their own polls - because not everyone out there knows the fans sites, but theirs and SW-dot-com is spelled out on every product's packaging. If some figure like Rabe fails miserably, they can scratch her and have evidence. If enough votes came in for Ben Quadrinaros that justifies what they need to recover and profit by for producing him, then they'd go for it.

Another recent poll demonstrated that less than half of us were completists (I'm actually not one of them). Hasbro has to be careful.

Hellboy
01-27-2003, 06:06 PM
I think Hasbro did right by the fans in this poll. Lets hope this trend continues.

Beast
01-27-2003, 06:55 PM
Tycho, actually if you look really really closely that StormTrooper walking around on the surface appears to have hoses coming from his helmet and run around behind him to a backpack. Like I said, it's probably about the most obscure charecter in the entire Saga. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 07:04 PM
The first one had some interest to it, but after that they really started going downhill. I personally haven't voted since #3, but I'm glad the Sketchtrooper won, that's one I really have wanted for a long time. I don't think Hasbro needs to keep making collectors fight amongst each other for the right to buy action figures... though come to think of it, Hasbro already does that with shortpacking and smaller first runs.

Lego puts out "building block models", not action figures. That's part of the Hasbro/LFL/Lego merchandising dealings.

Jargo
01-27-2003, 07:48 PM
But seeing as the minifigs from lego have articulation they are technically action figures all the same. They're just a part of a grander more creative more embracing format. And since they started selling three minifig packs with a theme, they are technically selling action figures as action figures and not as part of a 'building block model' ... from a certain point of view...... ;)

Jaster Mareel
01-27-2003, 09:28 PM
I think that polls have been fair (or don't have any reason to believe otherwise), but I do wonder if Hasbro plans to make the other choices that are offered in the polls. I want to see some of those characters made into figures as well. I understand that Hasbro has to make figures for the younger audience, but let's see some background characters also. And please, no more action features.

JediTricks
01-27-2003, 10:03 PM
Well hopefully Hasbro won't see it from that "certain point of view" or Lego and LFL will have a bunch of legal crap to deal with, I fear.

BTW, there's no question in my mind that with these polls there is some amount of Hasbro "fixing". Look at 1 of the first 2 (either Duros or Amanaman, I forget which) within weeks of the poll ending Hasbro had pics of very complete figure art and not long after that of the finished sculpt in wax or clay. I wouldn't mind so much if they were straight-up about it, but the way they make it seem like we can either have one figure OR the other seems like a bad way to go and ultimately a bad marketing gimmick.

Beast
01-27-2003, 10:26 PM
That's design art, JT. All the figures go thru the design/costing/approval stage before they can be included in the poll. They also check for things like likeness rights. It would be incredibly stupid to include charecters in the poll, that can't be made if they won. Due to cost, Lucas/LFL giving the charecter a thumbs down, or likeness rights. The Tonnika Sisters, ring any bells? :)

Like Tycho also said at one point, one of the Hasbro sculptors actually sculpts figures for his own collection. So the early appearance of Duros, doesn't mean he had the fix going for him. They may have done sculpts for all the charecters in the polls, who knows. Just because somthing turns up fast, doesn't automatically point to a internal fix. If so, you think they would have put the fix in for the Imperial Dignitary. The figure that all the Hasbro folks at Cel 2, said they thought would win. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

zeroplate
01-28-2003, 10:25 AM
"Hasbro already does that with shortpacking and smaller first runs. "

well, that's assuming a very simple cause-effect relationship. too simple. the fact is, these things are being made in such large quantities that there should never really be a scarce figure (errors/variations/special collector editions notwithstanding.) there are a lot of collectors, but not so many that buy everything that any basic figure should be something to fight over... come to think of it, no toy should be something to fight over unless you are 4 years old and haven't learned any better.

i was very happy to see that the midnight tru sale for ep.2 went a lot more smoothly than the one for ep.1 where people were mean-spirited, greedy, and grubby-handed. hopefully the hasbro polls won't inspire the same kind of tainted 'adult' behavior, and will allow us to still keep the joy of toys alive.

Darth Trymybestus
01-28-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
If so, you think they would have put the fix in for the Imperial Dignitary. The figure that all the Hasbro folks at Cel 2, said they thought would win. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Is that the main dignitary out of the two? the one that talks to the emperor mostly? I know that there are two but there seems to be a main one.
I wonder if we'll ever get a 2 pack? :)

Beast
01-28-2003, 10:23 PM
The one that was in the poll, was the one with the rounded hat. Not the one from the vintage line that had the tall hat. In reality there are actually 5 dignitaries, but only the 2 are seen in the Emperor's Throne Room. Thankfully, because one looks like a pirate and another one looks like a Teletubbie/Nipple Head. :eek:

But yeah, I would love a 2-pack of the starring Dignitaries. Or as they were revealed to be named Sim Aloo and Janus Greejatus. Sim Aloo was the one we got in the vintage days. Janus Greetjatus was the one that was offered in Fan Choice Poll #4 and lost to Imperial SketchTrooper. :(

Sim Aloo: Imperial Dignitary (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=81983)
Janus Greejatus: Imperial Dignitary (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=81987)
All 5 of the Imperial Dignitaries (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=42649)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
01-28-2003, 10:48 PM
ahhhhh I always assumed that because we had Sim Aloo in the vintage days, that he'd be the one in the fan poll, I can only remember him from the movie.
To be honest, I don't ever remember seeing Janus Greejatus in the movie, man, when I get the DVD's, I shall be zooming like a space jam!
I had that figure... but my mother vaccuumed it up :( , grrr to the hoover!
Personally, I think a 2 pack would be fantastic and people would surely buy them for those Return of the Jedi Diorama's, I want a Sim Aloo figure actually, what are the odds of getting him?
To be honest, now I'm not too surprised that Janus Greejatus lost to the sketchtrooper... now if it was Sim Aloo, I would have been truly shocked.:)

Beast
01-28-2003, 10:56 PM
There is an Imperial Dignitary figure listed on retailer sheets for later this year. So I assume we are likely to get one of them. I would really prefer to see a two pack of Sim and Janus though, since they are the ones talking with the Emperor in the Throne Room. If we only get one, I assume they will make Sim Aloo, since he was a vintage figure. I could care less for the other three. Especially the pirate and Johnathan Winters/Teletubbie/Nipple Head. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

01-29-2003, 12:52 AM
I trust the Hasbro poll a helluva lot more than I do the results that came out of Governor Jeb Bush's state of Florida in the last election!

But aside from that, Hasbro still sucks for not re-doing R5-D4 or Dr. Evezan. Oh - and that whole FAO exclusive nonsense, too.

zeroplate
01-29-2003, 10:34 AM
you mean for not redoing the dr evazan they already did? one figure of that lame character isn't enough? well... there's always this:
http://cargobay.starwars.com/webapps/cargobay/item-detail/4533/7579

01-29-2003, 04:07 PM
When does THAT come out? Your right though, even the re-make sucks. Don't they have character photos so that they can get the clothes, hair, etc. right?

Kidhuman
02-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I personally do not understand why they just don't make all the figures. Obviously the is a want by the fans for all of them. I understand it is a way of getting the fans involved, but why not just make them all eventually? This last poll was done fairly probably because of all the negativity surrounding the sketchtrooper. They had to make both figures. If not make all of the figures at least make the ones that have over a certain percentage.

Tycho
02-03-2003, 12:26 PM
So the polls can also tell them what not to make, while not sounding so negative?

Like Rabe and Ben Quadrinaros aren't too high on a majority of the people here's demand list.

Bet ya a PADME handmaiden would score much higher ;)

Beast
02-03-2003, 05:01 PM
I'm sure that if the line continues to 2018, we'll see everyone from the polls and even more obscure charecters. It's not that people don't want Rabe and Ben Quadrinaros, it's that they would prefer someone else more. Hasbro knows that they can sell cool aliens, droids, and main charecters easier then these obscure humans and aliens. So by doing the polls, they can get a good idea of what sort of obscure charecters fans want most. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks