PDA

View Full Version : Need help moving a computer file from one computer to another

BoShek
01-27-2003, 10:53 PM
I made a movie on my new computer with Movie Maker and I want to transfer it to my old computer that has a CD burner on it.

The trouble is that I can figure out how to do it.

The file is about 3.5 Megs so it will not fit on a standard floppy disk.
I tried to compress it but it only went to 3.25 or so.
I don't want to transfer the CD burner to the new computer because it was a pain in the neck to install and I lost the CD for it anyway.

I saw a few file transfers units like the CD Cyclone 32MB Flash Key USB Pen Drive but it cost $30. I don't want to spend it for something so simple. Oh, and only one computer has Internet access.

I don't know what to do!

:eek:

QLD
01-27-2003, 11:00 PM
I dunno......short of setting up a network with the two computers, and then transferring the file over that way, I am not sure.

You could also buy a zip disk drive, and do that as well.......

either way, you are going to spend money on it.

Jedi Clint
01-27-2003, 11:03 PM
Winzip is free to download and allows you to zip your files across multiple floppy disks. It will take three for your file. I'm not sure if the free version will allow you to make a self extracting zip file, but if it doesn't you just have to make sure that both machines have winzip on them. Let us know how it goes.

stillakid
01-28-2003, 12:51 AM
If you feel really comfortable climbing inside your machine, you could pull the harddrive with the movie out and install it as a second drive in the burner computer.

Obviously, both machines are OFF and UNPLUGGED for this operation.

It's actually quite simple to do. Once you open the case and pull the screws (probably 4), pull the power connection then the ribbon cable connection.

You have to change the jumper connection on the harddrive to "slave". The harddrive itself should have some kind of diagram either on a sticker or engraved on the metal. Remember what it's set up like before you pull out the little white plastic thingie.

Once you've reset the jumper to "Slave," I'd just find a secure place to rest the drive in the other machine. Don't bother screwing it in if all you're doing is transferring files quickly. Find the ribbon cable that is connected to your existing harddrive. It should have an extra white connector on it. Plug it into your second harddrive. Then find another power cable and plug that in as well.

Once all the cables are plugged in and the drive is reasonably secure, plug it in and turn it on. Because the second drive is set up as a slave, the machine should ignore the operating system that's on it and just recognize the drive as an additional. It'll probably want to rename all your drives so that the new one will be "D". I can't remember, but the machine may do a "new hardware found" thing, but don't worry about it. Let it do what it wants.

It's as simple as that. Go into My Computer and you should see two drives sitting there. Transferring files should be easy at that point. The only potential sticky point is knowing which jumper setting is "slave." Some harddrives make it difficult to figure out.

I've been running my own machine with two drives for a while now. C has the operating system and programs on it while D has all my data. Safer that way.

Good luck.

Exhaust Port
01-28-2003, 10:38 AM
There are movie spilters and joiners available out there as shareware or freeware. You could chop up the movie into 3 pieces then rejoin them on your second computer. Look for hjsplit and hjjoin, they should do the job.

BoShek
01-28-2003, 10:29 PM
And the winner is: Jedi Clint

It wasn't easy but I downloaded WinZip to my computer with the burner. I burned the WinZip data on a CD. I copied it to the other computer. I compressed the file, which I made 12 megs in high quality instead of 3 megs onto seven disks!

Then I took the disks to the computer with the burner and decompressed them. Now I have my whole file on the other computer! Amazing!

Thanks everyone! :p