PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Extends Star Wars License (merged)

The Overlord Returns
01-30-2003, 09:52 AM
I hope this is previously unposted news:

Click Here (http://www.figures.com/databases/action.cgi?setup_file=ssnews2.setup&category=starwars&topic=31&show_article=662)

I wonder what they could possibly give us until 2018??

Rogue II
01-30-2003, 10:06 AM
Woo Hoo!!!! 15 more years of Tatooine Luke, Darth Maul, and Jango Fett Rehashes!!!:crazed:

Ok, just kidding. As long as they keep the 3-3/4" line alive and interesting, I'll buy them. I'm glad my kid(s) (I only have one right now, but another is planned) will have a chance to play with SW toys.

187-Maul
01-30-2003, 10:36 AM
sounds like we will maybe after all get most of the figures we are still waiting for, the only problem is, it could take up to 15 years:(
but still cool that hasbro can, and probably will produce the figs for so long

QLD
01-30-2003, 10:41 AM
I don't know what to think. I don't feel joy or sorrow. Oh well.

bobafett07728
01-30-2003, 11:44 AM
This is excellent news. I am glad to hear that Hasbro wishes to continue the legacy.

LTBasker
01-30-2003, 11:46 AM
As long as they drop the gimmicks. :happy:

I wonder if this means they know something we don't if they want it go 10 more years after E3, hmm...

Tycho
01-30-2003, 11:54 AM
"General Madine confirmed for Collection 2 in 2013!"

"Twin Pod Cloud Car Update finally, Spring 2017!"

"New Jedi Order ends in 2005, but figures will begin in 2011! - to celebrate the 5th Anniversary of this Marketing Oversight."

"Shadows of the Empire continues from 1996 for it's 10th year anniversary in 2016! - at last we'll have Guri!"

"Tatooine Luke Resculpt planned for the DVD release of ANH: The Special Edition in 2006!"

"Lucas to make The Extra-Special Special Editions; look for exciting Hasbro figures like Cantina Han Solo vs. Greedo to come with blast effects so you can make whichever shoot first! Coming Summer 2009!"

"Monkey Faced Padme planned to complete Monkey Face Collection in 2010, the 5th Anniversary of Monkey Faced Leia!"

Dengar with Backpack, coming 2017 - "it took 20 years since his re-release, but we got it right!"

Expect 25 more Jango Fetts and exciting updates like Mon Mothma with shoulder mounted proton torpedo launcher!

But expect long-awaited items like an X-wing Porkins actually fits in and more!

bobafett07728
01-30-2003, 12:02 PM
Very entertaining Tycho. . . very entertaining.

As for Hasbro knowing something we don't. . . I thought the same thing, but didn't want to get my hopes up.

I can't wait for that Mon Mothma Tycho mentioned. . . that is going to be magnificant next to my Admiral Ackbar with wind-up swimming action, and water-squirting mouth!!!!!!!

kadamontaga
01-30-2003, 12:13 PM
:( I was kinda hoping that another company would get the license within 10 years from now and make some nice 6" figures. Maybe Art Asylum or Toybiz (if they could afford it).

sunshine
01-30-2003, 12:51 PM
:cool:

Jerjerrod
01-30-2003, 01:25 PM
Actually, Hasbro has set the standard and tradition for so long now, I'm actually glad they extended the licence. I know as collectors we bash them all the time, only so we get what we want, but by no means do I want them to hand the licence over to someone else. Nobody does 4" like Hasbro.

Besides, I don't want to see a 6" Spinning Blade Luke He-man! :D

Vortex
01-30-2003, 01:51 PM
Hmmm...I wonder if there's an escape clause anywhere and what it is.

Jargo
01-30-2003, 01:53 PM
I'm anxiously awaiting the news from Hasbro that following the renewal deal and furthered support from Lucas' business empire, Hasbro will be finalising deals with the retailers to actually stock the product that Hasbro makes.

What good is having a license for a further 15 years if there are no retailers willing to stock these peg warming 'action packed' toys? If Hasbro are going to address the franchise in a sensible business like manner and actually organise distribution in a fair and equitable fashion then I suppose this is after all good news. but if they continue to fanny around and aggravate the very consumers who have stayed faithful to the star wars franchise these last twenty odd years then I really see no point in extending the deal for so long. In fifteen years time there will be so few collectors that there will be no point in producing anything at all.

I suggest that new leadership is needed. I call for a vote of no confidence in the present Hasbro Star Wars marketing department. :zzz:

jedi-cpa
01-30-2003, 02:05 PM
Another 15 years of this!!!!!:eek:
I'm never gonna be able to afford a house big enough to store this crap:mad:

The Overlord Returns
01-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Dude......you should have scanned for the thread about this below......

Chiesa
01-30-2003, 02:34 PM
I really really wonder what SW will be like in the next 8-10 yrs rather than 15 yrs...

I mean it's great that they extended the contract but I just wonder will people be buying SW toys once EP III is over and a few years later on?

bobafrett
01-30-2003, 03:04 PM
Maybe Lucas is going to make Episodes VII, VIII, and VIIII, dare we dream?

mark2d2
01-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Somehow I still very much doubt I'll ever get a resculpted R5-D4 . . .

Arrogant Arse
01-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I think that by 2018, all the E1 Jar Jars win finally be sold.

Kettchers
01-30-2003, 04:27 PM
I can't stand the fact that Hasbro can control the line till 2018. I've been a collector of Star Wars since Kenner introduced the POTF2 line. I loved their work, the figures were sturdy, held their weapons exceptionally well, stood tall, they were good for play and display. I have to say the figure detail hasbro has managed is impressive, and I do like the new light sabres. But the force powers are simply retarded. The figures are accurate to a point, but I can't see to recall Obi Wan with a protruding button on his back in the movies. They say its to comply with the younger audiance. When you all were younger possibly sitting in your bedroom playing with your figures, wasn't it great to be able to use say, Han to pilot an X-Wing(not that you did but you could...) hell now I can't even stick any old Obi Wan in the Jedi Starfighter, or the Tatooine Attack Anakin to have any purpose but to kick some weapons stand over which never occured in the movie. When I was young I didn't need the buttons to have a good time, nor do they have a purpose for me now. Do the "young collectors" of today honestly want these force powers or can't they use their imagination as we once did, and maybe still do. All in all, if Hasbro is going to continue these force powers I can't see myself following the collection to 2018.

Sidiously Darth
01-30-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by kadamontaga
:( I was kinda hoping that another company would get the license within 10 years from now and make some nice 6" figures. Maybe Art Asylum or Toybiz (if they could afford it).

After this long, I think the 6" realm is a little late. You'd basically be starting from scratch and I don't have that kind of money. Figures would probably run $7-$8 a piece. No thanks!

Ratts Tyerell
01-30-2003, 05:19 PM
I hope this means I can expect a Ratts Tyerell action figure before the line dies.

Vortex
01-30-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by derek
despite what lucas has said about not making anymore star wars films, i think this deal guarantees star wars films will not end in 2005. there is no way hasbro would agree to such a long term deal if they were not promised that films, cartoons or TV shows were to follow. the re-released trilogy DVD's won't be enough to support a toy line.

i hope lucas will make EU films with all CG actors, like with final fantasy. i'd really lke to see a film version of "darth maul, shadow hunter", or a shadows of the empire movie.":)

Just how exactly do you figure this deal guarantees star wars films will not end in 2005?

Hasbro probably has an "out" clause if the line tanks after Ep III or shortly there after. They would have been stupid not too. Extending the line that long is a large business risk.

Look at all the business contracts and sports contracts...there are buy outs, options, and clauses that can terminate a contract prior to its set time of termination.

I for one wouldn't go see "Childrend of the Jedi" or "Crystal Star" or even "Truce" for that matter if they made it a movie. The original cast is too old, and just how long can you beat a dead horse. Where would you even start with EU? Dark Empire? The Zahn trilogy? Even then GL would be in conflict with the Authors who created and detailed some of the characters.

I don't think there's any way we'll get anything more in the way of shows or movies after Ep III...just because some contract was extened. We don't know all the conditions of the contract, and we're just speculating that it HAS to run its time.

Fulit
01-30-2003, 06:14 PM
My God, I'll be 40 in 2018. There's no way I can keep up the hunt that long, I'll freak out. Well, my son will be 19, he'll have to carry it on.

Beast
01-30-2003, 06:16 PM
Hasbro isn't going to pay that type of green, unless they planned to produce figures from now until 2018. So regardless of new movies, that's plenty of time to get pretty much every charecter from all 6 movies. Including some really obscure charecters. And more chances for EU figures. :cool: :)

I'm glad Hasbro is keeping the line. If another company picked them up, we would be back at square one with Luke: Tatooine again. Not to mention if they increased the scale, then we would have to rebuy all those figures again. And you can kiss vehicles goodbye for 6"-7" figures. :)

It's differnt then the vintage days, the figures will sell without a new movie. Because the collecting community is built in, thanks to the movies. Star Wars was a major part of our childhoods, so now they have us with a fish hook. Why do you think we bought stuff when it came out again in 1995. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banthaholic
01-30-2003, 06:25 PM
I'm glad to see the license renewed. I'd hate to as JJB stated above see all the figures get reissued again in a different scale. Heck we have over 400 various figures already let's keep on adding to them.

Jargo
01-30-2003, 06:32 PM
In the article something was mentioned about Hasbro taking the 'out' and it was some astronomical sum. I'm fully expecting the adventures of JarJar, a CGI adventure on Naboo starring the frog rabbit and his chums from Otoh Gungey. Or the hilarious exploits of Ben Quadinaros. They could even squeeze jake Lloyd into a small Jedi outfit and do a segue Anakin movie between I and II. They could make a Vader movie to squeeze between III and IV. Wouldn't take much with all the CGI they can do. Just think of the expanded galaxy they could create for vader to run riot in. CGI stormtroopers by the millions, whole worlds added to the galaxy for convenience. Anything to drain more cash from the 'fans'. Giving hasbro such a long license gives themm carte blanche to churn out lower and lower grade product and blame it on the economic recession while still charging through the nose for the pleasure. They can now take all the time they want to put out figures we actually want and instead regurgitate millions of core characters time and time again. But only if the stores will take the stuff. Unless Hasbro have amended their agreement with LFL and can now sell their own star wars product themselves via some online store of their own making like they do here in the UK already. But that's not going to be much use because they'll always sell at full price so there will be no bargains or clearance sales. No the way you get with regular retail stores. But the retail stores only clearance the stuff that doesn't sell because no-one wants it. or they can't afford the full price.
So, Hasbro needs to sort out their distribution problems. They need to sort out their pricing policies. They need to consult with us the collecting consumer more and in depth. They need to stop pretending to make the toys for kids and finally admit they make them for collectors. The safety issues argument about sharp pointed parts and small parts is not tipped in favour of the made for kids company spiel. They need to restructure their marketing department to better facilitate co-ordinated global press releases and interaction with consumers, not to mention actually getting more advertisements for their products out there for those who don't have the luxury of internet connectivity who rely on paper media coverage. They need to stop being so secretive about their processes of production and they need to stop using Chinese sweat shop factories to produce these toys. Western sweatshops are adequate enough and more centrally located. Circulation via ships from china is not fast enough.
With another fifteen years to go they should flaming well get to work and produce some decent environments for all these millions of figures we have. Set up a sub department to handle the environments specifically. Whoever hads been doing them up until now needs to rethink their career choice if that's the best they can come up with.

And randy has to go. :D

Vortex
01-30-2003, 06:48 PM
I was holding my breath waiting for the Randy reference...

Vortex
01-30-2003, 07:21 PM
Just some interesting side info...

"In a separate agreement, Hasbro extended by ten years the terms of the warrants it previously granted to Lucas Licensing Ltd. and Lucasfilm Ltd. The warrants provide for the purchase of an aggregate of 15,750,000 shares of Hasbro common stock. This agreement further provides Hasbro with an option running through October 13, 2016, to purchase these warrants from Lucas for an aggregate purchase price of either $200 million in cash, or $220 million in Hasbro common stock, such stock being valued at the time of exercise of the option. In addition, the agreement provides Lucas with an option during the next five years to sell all of these warrants to Hasbro for a price to be paid at Hasbro's election of either $100 million in cash or $110 million in Hasbro common stock, such stock being valued at the time of exercise of the option."

After checking the current market value of Hasbro Inc. (Has), which is 11.75 as of today, and it doesn't appear the new deal sparked a lot of trading...its actually down .25...again, today's market price for Hasbro was 11.75 and after checking the 5 year chart, the max Hasbro was worth was in the 1st quarter of 99 topped out at about 37 dollars a share. Its only dipped below the 5 dollar line in late 2000 and it looks like the Stock is/should be averaging about 20 dollars a share if you assume it held a constant average rate of about 25 dollars per share prior to the year 1998.

So which deal was brokered 1st? The contract or the Stock option bonus?

Tycho
01-30-2003, 07:59 PM
I want to address a couple of things.

First: EVERY YEAR there will most likely be

Han
Luke
Leia
R2
C-3PO
Chewie
Darth Vader
Darth Maul
Darth Tyranus
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Qui-Gon Jinn
Anakin Skywalker
Padme Amidala-Skywalker
JarJar Binks

I have

1) not liked that myself, too much but...

2) understand and explained it to everyone on these forums.

Think about the reasons for this, and then please SPEAK UP

IF ANYONE STILL DOES NOT UNDERSTAND WHY.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally I wanted 3 cantina aliens per year, and 2 Jabba Goons.

That would have given us 15 more cantina dudes and 10 more Jabba Goons before the original license's expiration date. Now I am discouraged that this could happen, but instead we will get only 1 of each type, sporadically, and unfortunately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Fans' Choice Poll No. 20 will really be hitting the bottom of the barrel. :rolleyes:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dead Uncle Owen and Crispy Aunt Beru figures now actually stand a chance of being made... ;)

If Hasbro starts to do more EU, it is very late in their timing. Do all the EU fans here still remember Crimson Empire? Please, let's all respond to that question - even if your answer is "What was Crimson Empire?"

How about Ulic Qel Droma? (same question)

New Jedi Order is in it's 4th year (out of 5 years planned). Did anyone here start reading those books and then quit for any other reason than Chewbacca dying? Do you or don't you still want Yuuzhan Vong figures, and those of Jaina Solo, Jacen Solo, Kyp Durron, etc.? If you do want them, does your demand for them go so far as to also want Jaina in an X-wing pilot's uniform and for Hasbro to make vehicles such as 'Vong Corral Skipper ships?

Perhaps when Hasbro does tap the bottom of the barrel, they will slow things down to a halt with the 3 3/4" line, concentrating on only maintaining core characters on the racks for newbies, and finishing off stuff for the 12" line.

Would you then get into 6-7" figures of all plastic and total detail like Art Asylum's Star Trek series? (I think I would) Were they McFarlane styled, do you think the Unleashed Line covers that?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are so directions for serious discussion this thread can take now.

Jargo
01-30-2003, 08:09 PM
No, no, no and no. :)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2003, 09:13 PM
I will be 28 when the line is dead.:eek:

But now they will probably make every single character and vehicle from every movie! Dang . . . 23 years worth of figures is a whole lot.:crazed:

Beast
01-30-2003, 09:22 PM
Atleast you'll still be a young man. Some of us older folks will be in our 40's and 50's by 2018. :eek: Can you imagine this site in 15 years, all us old timers still hanging around. Rambling about the good old days. Hmm, I guess there won't be many changes, after all. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Kidhuman
01-30-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
Atleast you'll still be a young man. Some of us older folks will be in our 40's and 50's by 2018. :eek: Can you imagine this site in 15 years, all us old timers still hanging around. Rambling about the good old days. Hmm, I guess there won't be many changes, after all. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Well I just saw and I am kinda nuetral on the whole thing. Fifteen more years of gimmicks? Of Randy? or a new beginning?

I know I will be 45 when the liscense runs out. These are the good old days? Well...............
:crazed:

Jargo
01-30-2003, 10:39 PM
I'll be fifty. But i fail to see what age has to do with anything. It's what's in your head that counts and i don't see myself as 35 right now. I'm just the same person I always was and i play with toys no matter who what where or when. Always have and always will. In fact when i was a kid i had a teacher at school who took toys to school with him for stress relief. Or while he was concentrating on marking papers he'd be plating with some toy like a scooby doo or a wind up car. he said that we should never forget how to play because it keeps us sane. once you forget your done for and the system will swallow you up whole. I took his words to heart and I still live by the mantra that play keeps you sane. So i hope I'm still fit and healthy and wealthy enough to cope with millions of star wars toys when I'm fifty in 2018. I hope i still have that kid inside trying to climb out. I hope there's still some action figure left in the blister wrapped around the gimmicks and action features that will by then be all that's in the blister really. But even if i stop collecting long before then because the product is no longer any good, i'll still have some fantastic toys to occupy my time with and yeah i'll still be the same Oscar the grouch-a-like that I am now, discussing my hoby and the toys online or on whatever supercedes this technology we use now. Just bcuz they don't make 'em no more don't mean there's nothin' to discuss, do it?

Tycho
01-31-2003, 12:55 AM
Speak up Sonny! I'm having difficulty hearing you!

I'm just the same person I always was and i pay no matter who what where or when. Always have to have my pills.

You have to have your pills? Well I don't know where your pills are?

Have you seen my General Madine yet?

In fact when i at school for stress relief.

What's that you say? You went back to school for stress relief?
Finally going to graduate? Not in the Class of 98, but when you're 98! That's good!

You know when I was this age, there was this Sith Lord who was about 88. He got very, very angry and fought with Anakin. I think he lost his pills, too!

Or while he was concentrating on marking up car. he said that we should never forget how to play because it keeps us sane. once you forget your done for and the system will swallow you up whole.

Well you shouldn't mark up cars at your age! That there is vandalism. What if they see you? You can't get away with your walker that fast anymore Emperor JarJar.

Or Jargo....who was I talking, too?

I took some wounds to my heart and I still live. I'm still fit and healthy. I have millions of star wars boys, like I'm fifty in 2018.

That's good to know. It's good to see you for all these years, Jango. Wow! You don't say, you have 50 grandsons all into Star Wars? That's incredible!

I hope i still trying to climb out. I hope there's still some action left in the blister wrapped around the geriartics

Oh no Emperor JabbaL. You gotta stay in your blister-bubble so you don't catch any germs!

i'll still be the same Oscar the grouch-a-like that I am now

You have to speak up! You say that you're Oscar? Well where the heck is Emperor Jargo? Are you his grandson, boy? I need to talk to your grandpa. I think they packaged my pills I'm supposed to come here with inside his blister-bubble!

they don't make 'em no more don't mean there's nothin' to discuss, do it?

What do you mean they don't make them any more, Sonny? I gotta have my pills. Are you a moderator in here? Would somebody get me a moderator in here? GeriatricTicks where are you? I gotta have my pills. I feel Qui-Gon again.

I think I'll Leia down now. I just need a little Ranat here and I'll be fine in a minute....zzzzzz :dead:

jjreason
01-31-2003, 03:38 AM
Ummm, okay.

Now, about Hasbro and the licensing....

Id kind of hoped this would all be over by then. I was setting my sites on paying off this damned mortgage to Hasbro by 2008, and now it's been extended for 10 years. I don't know if I'll still be interested in rehashes that far down the road. Eventually the completist is going to have to give way to the realist.

I for one would like to see what another company to do with the licence, but I definitely wouldn't want to start over. I think whoever salvaged it would/should have the decency to plug along with this scale - it would be almost disrespectful to the fans not to.

My main thought is that Hasbro has blocked out anyone else from getting a pc of the pie until the licence is SO dead that it aint' worth their time. 10 years ought to be quite long enough.

Emperors_Hand_2211
01-31-2003, 04:05 AM
We should probably bear in mind that just because Hasbro hold the license it doesn't mean they intend to use it, at least not themselves. I doubt they would do nothing with it, given it's cost, but it's entirely possible they would allow other companies to produce SW toys with a fee payable to them.
Just an idea.
I too would be creeping up to 40 by 2018. Hard to believe the line will last that long. Not in its current form anyway.

Tycho
01-31-2003, 06:10 AM
Realistically, they don't have to produce action figures.

This can be about keeping the market strong and exclusively dedicated to their product.

It can also give them the rights to continually do handheld video games, boardgames, and WOTC role playing and card games.

That's what it's likely about.

Figures in the last years will no doubt keep resculpts of the core characters on the shelves, and we'll be back down to about 14 "new" figures per year or something.

*and I thought my 'silent acting' as the senile old version of Tycho was pretty good myself. Darth Mouse agreed.

Jargo
01-31-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Tycho
Speak up Sonny! I'm having difficulty hearing you!

You have to have your pills? Well I don't know where your pills are?

Have you seen my General Madine yet?

What's that you say? You went back to school for stress relief?
Finally going to graduate? Not in the Class of 98, but when you're 98! That's good!

You know when I was this age, there was this Sith Lord who was about 88. He got very, very angry and fought with Anakin. I think he lost his pills, too!

Well you shouldn't mark up cars at your age! That there is vandalism. What if they see you? You can't get away with your walker that fast anymore Emperor JarJar.

Or Jargo....who was I talking, too?

That's good to know. It's good to see you for all these years, Jango. Wow! You don't say, you have 50 grandsons all into Star Wars? That's incredible!

Oh no Emperor JabbaL. You gotta stay in your blister-bubble so you don't catch any germs!

You have to speak up! You say that you're Oscar? Well where the heck is Emperor Jargo? Are you his grandson, boy? I need to talk to your grandpa. I think they packaged my pills I'm supposed to come here with inside his blister-bubble!

What do you mean they don't make them any more, Sonny? I gotta have my pills. Are you a moderator in here? Would somebody get me a moderator in here? GeriatricTicks where are you? I gotta have my pills. I feel Qui-Gon again.

I think I'll Leia down now. I just need a little Ranat here and I'll be fine in a minute....zzzzzz :dead:

I actually take real offense at those comments Tycho. There's a fine line between matey joshing and downright insulting and that crosses it. Not only are you making fun of me but you also undermine my opinion and demean me. You aren't fit to be a moderator. All this talk of innappropriate posts and you seem to be involved in posting the most inappropriate stuff on these message boards.

Jayspawn
01-31-2003, 10:08 AM
Another 10 year? Wow! Looks like we have our hobby cut out for us. Maybe they will finish all the Padme figures by then. :happy:

TheBigSloppy
01-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Another 10 year? Wow! Looks like we have our hobby cut out for us. Maybe they will finish all the Padme figures by then.

That would be alot of Amidalas considering she wore a different outfit in every scene. That Lucas guy is a marketing genius.

I would be 46 years old in 2018. The Star Wars franchise will have survived 41 years in American culture.

I for one would like to see the line go out on top - wherever that top is I do not know. But not in 2018. I understand that Lucas and Hasbro will be riding the coattails of a younger generation of Star Wars fans to carry the proverbial collectors torch and continue buying everything and anything Star Wars.

IMO, dragging the line until 2018 is a ditch effort to squeeze as much blood from this turnip as possible.

By that point, Hasbro will have rescuplted the line 3 times over. I can see it now in 2018, sitting in my Lazy Boy, reading Toyfare's latest edition, checking out Star Wars listings. Let's see. . .Where is that Farmboy Luke with SS/LT from the Vintage POTF2 line? Vintage EU figs? Vintage POTJ? I wonder what the clean Scout Trooper from the Reissued POTJ line is worth? When is Hasbro going to release Jar Jar WITH ACTUAL swimming abilities from the Reissued EPI line?

Hmmm. . .Let's see. . .

Oh, look! An article proclaiming the 1000th edition Boba Fett whose jet pack shoots 'real' fire is the hottest toy SINCE. . .well the last time Hasbro made Boba Fett with 'real' fire jet pack. I hope to get the box with the white panel!!!

I stand by Tycho. I know he means no harm with his words - facetious he is being. I think he is simply underscoring how preposterous it is that we 'OLD' men will still be collecting Star Wars toys. In the year two thousand freakin eighteen.

I gotta get a life before I die. Man. 2018.

abell748
01-31-2003, 12:26 PM
BigSloppy, the 1000th Boba Fett will be out by EP 3 at this rate. I too was hoping to wrap this up in 2007 or so. I have had to stop being a completist already and I am still short on room. I guess that by 2018 I'll need one house for my family and one for the Hasblo stuff. The only upside I see is that maybe we will get some more EU stuff that is not "winter coat Obi-Wan" or "I hope this padding protects me from my padawans substandard lightsaber skills Qui-Gon". Give me some book and comic figures!!!

Beast
01-31-2003, 02:52 PM
Hey abell748, the "winter coat Obi-Wan" is from a dark horse comic book that never came out. So you did get your wish, even though you have never seen the comic. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
01-31-2003, 03:52 PM
The comic in question might not have come out, but a NOT padawan, but Master Obi-Wan, with a 13 year old Anakin were shown in 2 frames of Jedi Quest wearing those coats (in both sizes obviously) when Anakin builds his first lightsaber in the caves of Illum.

Tycho
01-31-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
I actually take real offense at those comments Tycho. There's a fine line between matey joshing and downright insulting and that crosses it. Not only are you making fun of me but you also undermine my opinion and demean me. You aren't fit to be a moderator. All this talk of innappropriate posts and you seem to be involved in posting the most inappropriate stuff on these message boards.

Not even. I hope you're kidding too.

But let's pretend that you are not, so that I seem politically correct and not insulting to any nice, little forum member that might come along and think I'm an evil sadist.

Start now.

I was "mately joshing" and don't see the line I crossed. You nor I are not 98, hard of hearing (that I know of), and I was not undermining your opinion, because I think I actually agree with it in this case, and I totally misquoted you deliberately about a dozen times to make this funny, by using your words that rhymed with geriatric ones like "pills" etc. as an old person doesn't hear half of what you say, and mistakes words that sound alike for the wrong ones.

I never wanted to be a "moderator" and that's what my title says because:

I was the comics and books reporter because I'd write 6 page mini-novels called Rogue's Gallery newsletters on all the comics and books in chron. order to fill fans in that there was more to SW that they weren't reading (or wanted to discuss). In 1996, Steve added me to the site, but wanted me to track C&B news at the same time. As I finished college and had papers to write and jobs to search for, I grew disgruntled with forcing so much time out of both my career-search life and my social life, and even my SW life (which needs time for toy hunting etc.) that I needed to step down. Steve asked me for poll ideas and had me take "light restricted duty" as the poll writer. Someone who creates a list of 25 potential poll topics (including the ones you give me) and e-mails them to Steve, then awaits his selection for what he wants run that week. To edit things on the forums, everyone is given the title moderator. Since very few people curse or talk about anything other than the subject in the polls forum, I have little and very infrequent duties as a moderator, or editor of inappropriate stuff. I can't edit or moderate in any other forum I am not designated an editor in.

As I recall, you Emperor Jargo, were also a moderator here, but had to resign because you wanted to state 'non p.c.' opinions.

Like everyone else who comes here, I come to goof around, or talk with seriously thoughtful people about serious current events, and I like debating with the diverse opinions and backgrounds we have here that I wouldn't find on an Atheist, Democrat's, or otherwise special interest website. We have a great diversity here. As what you call a "Hasbro/Lucas appologist," I have strong opposite opinions about this hobby than you do. I don't want to see you leave the hobby, leave these forums, or any of that nature when I ask you "Why don't you just quit?" but coming from me, you'll likely need to over-react to that statement, right? "I quit" "You guys suck" whatever...I expect that next :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, you are right. I don't want to be p.c. My title should be changed to "polls editor" (JT if you're listening) but I'm not sure if it needs to be moderator to let me put in the polls. Believe me, any monkey can do that. I merely like this site, like having a long friendship with the people on these boards, or aquaintances, or whatever, as believe it or not, I often like reading what you post as it makes me laugh, but I wouldn't want to offend you by calling you an online friend, but you're definitely different from a newbie or someone I've never heard from before.

Meanwhile, I like to discuss controversial stuff, post in fun posts, act in character - if you excuse the phrase "act" for my skit as an old man above, but I don't know what else to call it, and I try to enjoy myself here. Talking about the toys and having total disagreements about little plastic figures is only so much fun though. Positions on invading Iraq are much more appropriate to argue about. Boba Fett's funny missle-button-action-feature is not likely to cause World War III (I think...)

But nothing there was written to personally offend Jargo, but as a strong voice on this site for criticism and negativity of a lot of additions to our hobby, both product and future-outlook, and as someone who's criticized me before, I thought you could stand the fire if you came into the kitchen - to say nothing about the crap I take around here and just put up with, a smile on my face.

So if that was an appology, that's as close as it gets, and take it as such if you want it. If not, I hope everyone else was entertained reading this post, it was so much more creative than playing the "old man Hasbro collector." :rolleyes:

tgr3328
01-31-2003, 04:39 PM
Tycho, I know you were kidding and I thought you were funny too. If you can't laugh and have a little fun, what's the point?

On a side note, one big advantage to getting old is that you can state any opinion you want as loudly as you want and people let you get away with it. Ever notice that? I've seen old men say with impunity things that would get a younger guy in serious trouble.

Turbowars
01-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Come on guys. We are just way to serious in these forums sometimes. I think Hasbro just wanted a safety net, just in case in the rare chance Lucas will make a few more flicks. Hasbro has a way out,(It was in the report) but it will cost them. Plus like it was posted, Hasbro doesn't want anyother company to get a hold on the biggest toy line ever and that goes for Lucas to. I was suprised when I read it on the front page and the first thing that popped in mind was 7,8 and 9.

Jargo
01-31-2003, 07:53 PM
Um just to address a couple of points. One: my reasons for quitting as a moderator were private and between myself and the admin. They were however not because I wanted to post non PC comments. your comment on my quitting is totally misleading and misrepresentative. And now I really am insulted.

Why would I leave just because of some stupid incident involving you? If that's what you think of me then you've seriously misunderstood where i'm coming from. You are but one tiny aspect of this community same as me. This community is bigger than the sum of both of us. We neither of us has the option to place the other on an ignore list and are forced to view each others posts. Whether we want to or not. Were ther still the expand or collapse post option I would have collapsed yours and not had to read it.
If nothing was written as a personal insult then why not simply make something up instead of cannibalising my post in a derogatory fashion. That is what has ired me. Warping my words is not funny to me in the slightest. And yes it did occur to me that you were attempting humour. I'm not stupid or blind. You chose unwisely like a lot of your posts and if you thought for one second before posting your humour then you would see how many times you've offended people. You aren't thoughtless but rather - unthinking. That's the kindest way I can put it. That's not an insult its an observation. You say you don't want to be pc but what else can you be in your position here? If we all have to mind our manners as members then why should you be any different? As keeps being said, this is a family rated site which by its very nature is pc. Waht you did was to trample and trash my post. I'm big enough to take criticism and big enough to take a joke at my expense on the chin mostly, if I've posted an extremely negative opinion I think that's fair game, tit for tat mock fighting. But my post above was a genuine, heartfelt post. I do not see that as fodder for an extended trashing the way you trashed it.

Tycho
01-31-2003, 08:40 PM
Emperor Jargo, hopefully, we can bury this issue with this:

Your original post in question I agree with. But you are right, it is just one post from yourself, just like any of mine are just one post from me.

It is not that important in itself, nor is it the main topic post, such as if you started a thread to seriously discuss (any given topic).

It is not a family-unfriendly post, nor an abuse of the posting rules. It is not sexist, racist, class-disparriging, against any ethnic or religious creed, or age group per se - unless a real 98 year old collector wants to speak up that they were offended.

I am sorry YOU were offended by that. But I think you are purposely blowing it up into a big deal because you don't like me, or something about me and what I post here, and you're trying to make an issue out of nothing.

You do indicate you understand, it is a joke, and I am not heartlessly picking on you. It could have been anybody who posted in this thread that I responded to like an old man who can't hear might've. "I trashed your post?" Like your words are some kind of final thesis or speach to the United Nations? (in which case half of us here might still debate it). You are taking this way too sensitively, in my opinion. I think you might need to post in some rebuttal to this, why this singular issue is so important to you (I mean not only what I wrote, but why Star Wars collecting until 2008 or 2018 is so important to you). Really, in spite of the volume I buy, as long as I finish off my "hope for / important list" like General Rieeken and some Yuuzhan Vong, I could care less what they do, or how many resculpts they do. I'm not a completist, i don't stress over a fun hobby so as to make it aggravate me when I feel compelled to buy something I don't want. So anything to keep it alive and healthy is fine by me. I welcome young blood entering the hobby (teenagers and younger) and I don't stress over another Tatooine Luke, and I won't buy it under any circumstances either. My style is to generally shut-up, not complain, and patiently wait for J'Quille or Kir Kanos, and write Dear Hasbro threads or something if I want another figure so bad.

I am more concerned about my job, buying a home, and my social life than even whether or not I get to complete my Jedi Council, so nothing that I say in regards to SW is that important. I take political threads that influence on how people vote and how the officials they elect affect the economy, war or peace time, and San Diego's home security more seriously than what products they stock in the toy isle at Wal*Mart.

I think you can set your user profile controls to ignore me if you want to. There's a person user settings control screen that lets you make a lot of those adjustments. I'm insulted that you'd want to. I don't singularly pick out someone and start picking on them, or this hobby, or you personally, nor anyone else. You don't see me trying to get people banned from here, or chasing them around disagreeing with them all over the place about every issue. I frequently want to discuss new products and may not always agree with you, so do you want to ignore me because I disagree with you and don't think you are the God of the Almightly Hasbro Sucks and Fire Action-Feature-Andy Official Policy around here? There is not such one, but maybe you'd like to have that section installed in our forums features:

Hasbro Saga
I hate Hasbro Saga

12" Figures
I hate 12" Figures

Star Tours Figures
I hate Star Tours Figures

etc. etc.

Put it down in the comments suggestions box. Maybe you can return to being a moderator for that section and delete anyone's thread that disagrees with you. For example, the words "Quick-Draw Boba Fett is cool!" will appear "*****-**** Boba Fett is ****!" and so forth. Then you won't have to work so hard at making sure other people don't enjoy Hasbro's new products.

I'm not sure where I cross you as "gone wrong." To be honest, bickering about it is a downer, and if Sniffing Mouse Droid threads are a stupid waste of your time, since they are topical when I post something like that (the start of a thread topic more than likely) or an off-hand "attempt to be funny" reference to lighten the gloom mood around here, sure why can't you ignore that, without ignoring information I might post or a comment about what I may or may not purchase? I'm not sure I shouldn't be insulted too because my opinion is being explained to ALWAYS have no value.

I am not here saying "My life is going to end and I can never leave my house again if they don't take that knob out of Mace's back! Oh Please take it out now! I'm dying here! Girls won't like me because Mace has a knob in his back! The economy will tank because sales of left over SW orders from Christmas time are not moving off the shelves! That's because they have action features because Andy@Hasbro is the Anti-Christ! See it's effecting Obi-Wan? - he's in the Arena having fun by himself! That's because he's so disgusted by Mace's knob in his back! Oh my God, I'm going to just die if I can't accept Christ as my personal savior before they make another JarJar Action Figure since Mace has a knob in his back! What am I to do if JarJar also has a knob in his back? Call the United Nations! Call the Republican party! Don't collect taxes on Star Wars figures so that the Mace-case can clear the shelves! It's the end of the world! I'll have nothing to do with myself! I can't ride a bike or play basketball if Mace has a knob in his back! I can't sleep or think about sex if Mace has a knob in his back! Would somebody please take that Knob out of Mace's freaking back! I'm dying here! I feel like I have a knob in my back! Oh my Back! NOoooo! My back! There's a darn knob in my back! It's making me write this stuff! The Devil made me do it because I'm pro-choice and might consider buying an action figure of Mace with a knob in his back! I can't control myself. I'm starting to see knobs in everyone's back! Oh stop it Hasbro please!!!!Please everyone, reach behind you and take those freaking knobs out of your backs! AAaaaagaggghhhh!"

For the record, I'll buy the darn figure if the sculpt looks good and I can take that darn knob permanently out of his back. I don't like most action features, but Dooku is alright (both figures) and ones like that don't bug me that much, but I am interested in more "collector grade" sculpts and quite sure we'll see them further along down the line, but long before 2018.

I am also not hoping the hobby ends so that I can quit collecting. I am not going to, nor never did, obsess over being a completist. It's ridiculous to spend money on things you don't need and don't like, IMO. *I do not remember if Emperor Jargo is a completist, wanted to be one, or anything of that nature - the statements about being completists are not personally directed towards anyone! - and it's just an opinion, so the guy out there holding all 12 versions of 1996 Jedi Luke doesn't need to start crying now. (cool variation collection, though! There were some hard-to-come-by ones amongst the Lukes)

But anyway, can we all just bury the knobs in our backs now?

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 08:59 PM
Hey Tycho & Jargo, I haven't even read all this crap yet, but both of you dial it back. I've already gotten complaints and since there's no way to forceably separate you, the only other thing I could do is suspend one or both of you.

---

UPDATE - oh joy, now I've read what this is all about, lucky me. :frus:

Tycho, if you don't want to be a moderator, simply let Steve know and he'll take care of that for you; these forums are never meant to be a burden to anybody, moderator or not.

As for Jargo's resigning, he was not forced into quitting, he chose to and it came as a shock to me when it happened. However, just because one is no longer a moderator does not mean that gives them carte-blanche to disregard the forum rules.

Jargo, some folks will act like donkeys on the forums, it's a fact of forum-life that we all have to accept. I do see your point about your original post being undermined by Tycho's response, but that's something we all face from time to time. I think the damage has already been done so just let this thread continue without the fussin' and the fightin'.

Ultimately, I think you both took the wrong road and did a disservice to this thread, if you cannot work your personality differences out between yourselves in private messaging, there is always the IGNORE system; but please keep this sort of thing off the forums, it's unfair to everybody else.

Jargo
01-31-2003, 09:06 PM
woo... :rolleyes:

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 09:21 PM
Personally, I think another 15 years with Hasbro at the helm stinks of a monopoly, luckily there's no way Hasbro's gonna buy Lego so at least we'll always have some good SW toys from the big red brick.

Rogue II
01-31-2003, 09:37 PM
Well, if Hasbro didn't have the rights, the new company could be better. The new company could also be worse. I don't collect any other toys besides Star Wars, but I've heard plenty complaints about quality, distribution, and packaging of other brands like McFarlane and Mattel. I guess we will never know if anyone else could have done better.

I've been thinking about this 15 year extension. Just because they have the license, doesn't mean they are going to produce all of the same toy lines for that time. They could just hold the license so no one else gets it. Besides, 2017 will be the Star Wars 40 Year Anniversary.

TheBigSloppy
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM
I second JTs motion. *Now applying hyperdrive coolant onto Tycho and Jargo.*

Let us get back on topic here. The reality is that some of us are going to be middle-aged white men collecting toys. Lest not forget that some of us will probably still be playing with our toys.

"Johnny, stop that. Give Daddy his stormtrooper back. Maaaaaammmy. . . Johnny won't give Daddy his toy back."

Any ever read the book about Peter Pan Syndrone?

Postscript
Jedi. I didn't realize there was such a thing as 'Super' moderator. Does Sir Steve give you a cape and a big 'S'?:D Bad joke, I know. That's why I don't make a living performing behind a mike.

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 09:45 PM
I think technically it's a 10-year extension on the current license which ends in 2008.

My belief isn't necessarily that Hasbro shouldn't have the license for that long, it's more that Hasbro shouldn't have that much time to rest on their laurels like Kenner did between '78 and '98 (you know, the period that included the 10-year lull in SW from '85 to '95?). The license SHOULD be up for grabs every few years, other companies should be able to try and prove to LFL that they are the better man for the job thus keeping Hasbro challenged enough to put out better product or let someone better equipped do it if they can't.

---

Sorry BigSloppy, already made a similar joke (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=214949#post214949) so yours will have to be merged. ;)

As for "reality land", the forums software came with that title, basically it's a position between moderator and admin, I moderate all sections of the forums and supervise the other mods in some ways. I had the opportunity to change the title, but I couldn't think of anything at the time. :D

dark jedi 8
01-31-2003, 09:48 PM
If they do make figures through 2018, which i doubt, then there is a good chance of finally getting that jedi knight luke!:)

Beast
01-31-2003, 09:55 PM
Dark Jedi 8, you may be a tad behind in the info. But a Luke: Jedi Knight figure has been confirmed as coming this year since Cel 2 last year. It should be out in May/June. We already have the number for it. :)

[#17] Luke Skywalker: Jedi Knight (C1)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dark jedi 8
01-31-2003, 10:00 PM
yeah, but its probably from the death star 2 or something, Hasbro has not given a picture yet.:frus:

TheBigSloppy
01-31-2003, 10:01 PM
It seems odd to me that this deal was penned five years prior to the contract expiring. Perhaps some other fish were giving Hasbro the heebie jeebies? And Hasbro felt the need to act now.

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 10:05 PM
I refuse to give in until a good figure of Luke Jedi is made!!! (Ok, the one from the Jedi Duel 3pack is a great figure, but it's a preposed figure with that same junky lightsaber accessory, that thing is all wrong)

Beast
01-31-2003, 10:06 PM
We need one from the Death Star II, the other ones are all from Jabba's Palace. Except for the terrible Speederbike Luke, Exclusive TRU MMC Luke, and the Cinema Scene Luke. I'm sick of seeing Luke in his vest. And since the Vader is supposed to be a properly to scale removable helmet version, I'll go with the DSII Luke. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

dark jedi 8
01-31-2003, 10:07 PM
I'll just be happy with a gimmick free ROTJ luke!:happy:

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 11:51 PM
I'll take one that has a REMOVABLE vest... and a correct lightsaber hilt with removable blade, and 3 interchangable hands ("naked", damaged, gloved), and binders, and tons of good articulation, and no gimmick, and a removable cloak. That's not asking too much IMO... though now Hasbro has 15 more years to make this happen.

Darth Cruel
02-01-2003, 12:06 AM
A sad day for those of us who will not stop collecting, but were hoping to start getting well articulated and well sculpted figures. I don't care what anybody says. I think Hasbro sucks. I buy the figures for the nostalgia, but I was truly hoping that a good company would get the license. I knew this would happen, though. Hasbro is the only toy company with the money to buy the license. We have only ourselves to blame for that. We gave it to them.

Turbowars
02-01-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by TheBigSloppy

The
reality is that some of us are going to be middle-aged white men collecting toys. What does race have to do with anything TheBigSloppy? Oh and JT, why didn't you delete those few posts. You seem to have double standards when it comes to members. That whole fight should had been in PMs, just as this one should have, but I'm making a point.

Capitan_Moroni
02-01-2003, 03:05 PM
I think the word "some" was a key word in that post Turbowars.

Turbowars
02-01-2003, 03:19 PM
Oh you think so. Why does it matter if some are going to be white, black or what ever. If this is such a PC forum, then why does this stuff get through. I'm just making a point, because I have said things in the past that may or may not have been PC and it was edited. I just don't like the double standards around here.

2-1B
02-01-2003, 05:27 PM
Well, if Hasbro is going to keep the line I hope they continue with the cool promos from time to time, like the TF Vader and the Silver R2. :)

Turbowars
02-01-2003, 06:33 PM
LOL, Ok all mighty. Was it hard to hold back on the R2 issue? Yeah I left and came back because this is a better site. I know you aren't my friend and never will be, so you deal with it :stupid:

Prince Xizor
02-01-2003, 08:01 PM
Wow, I guess the idea that Hasbro gets to make Star Wars toys until the next decade makes some people wanna lash out at others....

I, for one, happy that Hasbro got to keep the license and it didn't go to a better company such as Toy Biz. There is no way that I can start collecting all over again. No Way.

So Hasbro, keep on doing what your doing and make one good toy for every 5 bad ones, and I will keep on collecting.

Tycho
02-01-2003, 09:13 PM
I for one am glad they will continue making figures, I just got Anakin, Aayla, Bariss, Boba Fett, R2, Lama Su and Anakin on Owen's swoop bike today and most are awesome!

(Anakin's actually one of my favorite new figures - the regular one, and Boba Fett IS worth it!!! -they were the most impressive. I'll post reviews in another thread.

I'm staying out of more off-topic posts. I was involved in enough in this thread already.

Beast
02-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Cool finds Tycho, yeah the Anakin: Secret Ceremony having no gimmicks should hopefully point to the fact that gimmicks may start to fade away mid-way thru the year. I await in-depth reviews soon. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Darth Trymybestus
02-01-2003, 10:45 PM
Woah, you've found Anakin and Boba?!
I haven't even found Darth Tyranus - Geonosis Escape, Padme Amidala - Droid Factory or Obi-Wan Kenobi - Acklay Battle yet! :(
I'm a little disappointed that Anakin doesn't have a removeable arm but the robotic one has grown on me since I've seen the detailed pictures.
It surely does look like it could be the best Anakin Skywalker yet, I'm sure we'll get more Anakin Skywalker in Jedi gear figures over the course of this year.
Do you think that the new Anakin is better than Hangar Duel and Tatooine Attack?

As for Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight, I don't care whether he's Jabba's Palace or Death Star II just as long as he's a fantastic sculpt, well detailed, good articulation, metal lightsaber and that the action feature isn't too obtrusive.:)

sith_killer_99
02-01-2003, 10:56 PM
Put me down for the Death Star II Luke Jedi!

Tycho, what do you have a direct line to Hasbro Hong Kong! I swear you have been the first to get everything this year. Lucky dog!

I was lucky enough to score Padme, Tusken Raider, Eeth Koth, Teebo and Rebel Trooper Tantive IV Defender.

I'm looking forward to most of the new figures.

aharry
02-01-2003, 11:31 PM
I have no problems with Hasbro keeping the license. Sure they come up with some half wit every once in while (such as many of the action features) but I think they are doing a decent job and seem to sometimes work towards straightening some past goofs, such as what they did with POTJ Lando to replace that Macho Lando from the orange card days.:)

Tycho
02-02-2003, 01:01 AM
My friend has to have a lot of his stuff really early. He gets his stuff from Hong Kong, or in this case, he got stuff from E-bay and had some duplicates already. He knew how much I wanted to put things in my dioramas (like to see if I had enough from for Ani's bike in my wall case display that needs to fit the rest of the Lars and Padme too, eventually), so he kind of gave them to me early. All I have to do is eventually replace them with mint carded ones when they hit the stores here.

They're not out in the US yet (to my knowledge) - at least not in San Diego.

I think I can put some info on them up in this saga forum now.

I was having dinner and getting ready to go out right after I posted before.

hango fett
02-03-2003, 12:02 PM
that is a long way off. how can they keep makeing figures untill 2018? i know there are alot of charecters, but by then there would be doubles or triples of the ones that they need to make! they could have a liscense untill 2010 and still have all the ones everyone wanted out.....what do you think?
h

Beast
02-03-2003, 05:08 PM
The same way that they have made figures from 1995-2003 and not done every charecter yet. Hell, there are still variations/outfits of the main charecters that haven't been done yet. Plus they have resculpts of POTF2 figures that were to buff or out of scale.

And let's not forget that there are a huge wealth of charecters from the prequels that haven't even been tapped yet. Plus we'll get improved resculpts of core charecters. And then if they start tapping the EU for figures, the line could techncially run forever. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
02-03-2003, 08:08 PM
Well, JarJar, you're little AWESOME picture of the holochess alien figures (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=219244) makes me darn sure I want those!!!

dark jedi 8
02-03-2003, 08:10 PM
I hope they start expanding on the EU stuff, they are coming out with the clone wars line this year, so there is still some hope!:)

Tycho
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
New Jedi Order should have been started as soon as they saw how popular the books became - not to mention all the licensors working together strengthen all their products.

Dark Empire needed more figures.

Heir to the Empire needed some extremely key characters.

Crimson Empire was extremely popular.

The Ongoing's leads like Quinlan, Villie, and A'Sharad, (and formerly Aayla before her movie appearance) all are in high demand.