PDA

View Full Version : First review of some of the 2003 figures.

DarkArtist
01-30-2003, 06:02 PM
Just picked up some of the new figures from Walmart so I thought I would share some of my feelings on the following:

1.) Tuskan Raider: Tatoonie Ambush
2.) Obi Wan Kenobi : Arena Battle
3.) Padme Amidala: Arena Factory Chase
4.) Darth Tyranus: Geonias Escape

1.) Not much to say about the Tuskan Raider except that finally we get great sculpt that works for the entire saga. Only question is the base on which the action figure stands on. It looks as if it is going to attach to a future base somewhere down the line.

2.) Obi Wan Kenobi, what can I say except OUCH !!!!! The designer of Hasbro who came up with this figure should flush their head down the toilet. One it looks downright perverted, and two the only saving grace is a somewhat decent head sculpt.
Plus when you place the spear in both hands the stupid action gimmick dosen't work.

3.) Padme Amidala, Was actually surprised by this figure. I thought the face was going to be down right Hidious but it's not that bad, might switch out the head with the arena battle for a custom version and give new a new cloak but the articulation is really good.

4.) Darth Tyranus, better sculpt than the first, at least the face looks meaner and the force lighting is a plus but the lightsaber is all the weakness. Since they converted it to the Saga lightsabers and gave it the metal hilt it lost alot of it's detail. Another major stain on the figure is the big visbale magnet in the hand. Why Hasbro Why.

Also picked up the Saga version of Eeth Koth and the Tantive Trooper, new head for trooper is okay but I want the old guy who gets shot in the opening scene, this one looks like the first just with brown hair instead of black.

carnifexold1eye
01-30-2003, 07:06 PM
Where in Jersey are you? I live right on the NY/NJ border and am in Jersey all the time and havent gotten found them yet.

Jerjerrod
01-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by DarkArtist
2.) Obi Wan Kenobi : Arena Battle

2.) Obi Wan Kenobi, what can I say except OUCH !!!!! The designer of Hasbro who came up with this figure should flush their head down the toilet. One it looks downright perverted, and two the only saving grace is a somewhat decent head sculpt.
Plus when you place the spear in both hands the stupid action gimmick dosen't work.

Take a wiiiiiiiiiiiiild guess who the designer at Hasbro is? :D

A question about Obi-wan: Acklay: Is the scale correct at least? :( I still need one that's the right scale.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-30-2003, 08:16 PM
HEY! I still haven't found Ephant Mon or the Trash Compactor Screen Scenes.:cry:

Kidhuman
01-30-2003, 09:25 PM
I haven't seen any of them. I miss living in NYC for that reason.

JediTricks
01-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Is the blade on the Dooku saber removable? It looks like it's not, or at best not properly, like the tip of the hilt is permanent plastic molded into the blade itself.

kdp100
01-31-2003, 04:48 AM
JediTricks, I've seen this figure close-up & carded and it looks like you're right on both counts.

patchiswelsh
01-31-2003, 01:11 PM
in other threads they say it is removable

Darth Evil
01-31-2003, 02:37 PM
I hope it is removable. That's one of the reasons that I want this figure.

Lman316
01-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by JediTricks
Is the blade on the Dooku saber removable? It looks like it's not, or at best not properly, like the tip of the hilt is permanent plastic molded into the blade itself.

You'd be correct, JT - that little saber guard thing comes off with the blade.

And you know what else is stupid? That figure entirely, not to mention the Obi-Wan. I found both of these today (no sign of Padme, the droids or Tuskens) and I wish, I wish I hadn't gotten these. That's the first time I've ever said that about any figures I've bought, because even with ones I didn't really like, I dealt with them. These are just downright hideous...

First, the Obi-Wan. I only bought this because I stupidly assumed that he could be posed with the binders on. Can I ask something? What is the point of including the binders if the stupid figure can't even wear them?
He's in a permanent squat, the perverted "action feature" does not work, the magnet is obtrusive, there is no waist articulation because of the gimmick, he can't hold his lightsaber in either hand...shall I go on? This is THE WORST figure I have ever seen in the Star Wars line - and that's even compared with Aurra Sing.

Tyranus? Almost as bad. Yeah, wow, we get a tiny bit more articulation, like a ball jointed left shoulder. That's all fine and good, but what good is it when the hand at the end is posed like that? He looks like a hyperactive 5 year old waving goodbye... I don't trust those fingers at all - I feel like they're going to break (and, NO, it's not just like the Palpatine...you can just see a difference).
The cape is horrible and won't stay still - I liked the last one better. I guess this was supposed to solve the problem of it falling off, but it comes up over his shoulders sometimes.
It won't stand up! Just like the last one because of that UTTERLY STUPID craption feature. And the extra articulation at the right elbow is pointless because it's too loose. So, you couldn't just leave it posed at an angle. I don't know if that's supposed to be like that for the gimmick, but it's stupid nonetheless.

I know people say it, and most get crap for it, but if this is what I have to expect for the next figures, I am totally done. Say what you will, say "fine, more for us." Yeah, okay. But if more people start feeling the way I do, there won't be any figures at all. These are horrible and I feel cheated, really cheated. And I've never really felt that way about any Star Wars figures I've got.

C'mon, someone blast me. Someone tell me what great figures these are - please defend them. I just wanna hear that argument. I want someone to tell me that I'm wrong and that these are some of the best examples of figure-making ever. Please! :rolleyes: Because I know it's coming :D.

End...

I just found this out: the Tyranus has some extra articulation in his neck. It's for old-man-turkey-neck accuracy and fall asleep while standing up action! Or maybe that's look-down-at-my-shoes action. Either way, it's so great! :rolleyes:
But it's so nastly-looking when you make him look up. *shudders*

End (the sequel)...

Bobajames
01-31-2003, 03:06 PM
"fine, more for us."
:p j/k :crazed:

Lman316
01-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Bobajames
:p j/k :crazed:

If you you really feel that way, Bobajames, you can have mine!

:D.

End...

Chiesa
01-31-2003, 03:14 PM
Still waiting for mine to come before I will defend them!

But after hearing so much on this thread, it is quite unlikely that I would defend them! :D

Bobajames
01-31-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Lman316
If you you really feel that way, Bobajames, you can have mine!

:D.

End...

SURE!! I take anything I get until we get the AFA in my town (Action Figures Anonymous) I can't stop buying these stupid things. :cry: I need help!! :cry:

JediTricks
01-31-2003, 10:42 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Lman, sorry the answer wasn't better news though, but that's exactly what I wanted to know. The 12" Dooku's saber spoiled me I guess, that thing is awesome but I don't know if they could do it with the 4" line - the plastic would probably be too thin to to allow the blade to come out... still, Hasbro should do an "off" version of Dooku's hilt if they can.

You know, except for the added articulation and alternate saber, I already have this figure... I took some of the blue electro-effect junk from the Saga Royal Guard figure and put it in Dooku's hand, looks adequate and saved me $5 on this new figure. :D

Jargo
02-01-2003, 05:13 PM
The latest Dooku still looks more like Vincent Price than christopher lee though. both versions we've had of this figure. Don't know who the flipping Dooku was supposed to be but that too doesn't look like Chris. Perhaps if they bulked his torso up so it's more like an old man that's slightly out of condition. Chris Lee is these days somewhat barrel chested, good food and wine and advancing years will do that to you so why doesn't the figure reflect the true physique of Count Dooku?

Adam
02-01-2003, 11:16 PM
My Tyranus stands up quite easy. I think he is actually a very nice figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2003, 05:24 PM
I got these both last night. Obi-Wan is okay, except for the lack of articulation and the feature. It works okay with his lightsaber, but with nothing in his hand it's strange.:eek: The binders, I suppose, could be put on a different figure. However, when he was in this pose, he still had the binders on, and his arms can't be placed near each other. Tyranus is pretty cool. The only crap thing is, Dooku never once used his left hand for Force lightning. They should have switched the position of the hands. It's still a good figure. So is Obi-Wan (in dioramas).:)

Oh yeah, Tyranus stands up perfectly.

Darth Trymybestus
02-04-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
Chris Lee is these days somewhat barrel chested, good food and wine and advancing years will do that to you so why doesn't the figure reflect the true physique of Count Dooku?

The same reason that the Hulk Hogan WWF figures had a full head of hair :crazed:

Seriously, who wants a figure that has a barrel chest?! I mean, he's a Sith Lord, he's gotta look tough! :)

kdp100
02-04-2003, 06:01 PM
I always used to get Christopher Lee and Vincent Price mixed up, anyway when I was very young and couldn't tell the difference between UK and US accents!
They did look very similar to each other for a long time, too - fangs, cloak, unconscious damsel in bodice, etc., ;)

Anyway, I hope I'm in as good a shape as that when I'm 80. Think it's gonna be a steep uphill climb....

Analysis Droids are a worthy addition.
Padme's OK, and looks a lot more neutral-looking if you remove the cloak, which is just about possible.
I was careful to pick one that didn't have too much lipstick around her mouth, so she escapes that "life-sized doll" look...

I do like the Tusken, although I'm intrigued as to what its stand will eventually hook onto. We've already had Anakin (TA and swoop), so I can only suppose that somewhere along the line Hasbro will release a Tusken hut - possibly with a Shmi pack-in.

Lman316
02-04-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Adam
My Tyranus stands up quite easy. I think he is actually a very nice figure.

Originally posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL
Oh yeah, Tyranus stands up perfectly.

Are both of you using action stands? :p

I can get him to stand, yes, but it's somewhat of a hassle. It's because of that gimmick-riddled right leg. I don't know, maybe I got a defective one...yet I still think they're all defective. :D

Oh, and EJ, saying that this Tyranus looks like Vincent Price is still a compliment - this just looks like some generic old man. However, the first Dooku looks very accurate when placed next to this figure. It's not a perfect likeness, but it is much better, IMO.

End...

NRPeace
02-20-2003, 10:20 PM
I really liked the new Padme. Once you get rid of the cloak, it's actually a very good body sculpt (correct posture and proportioning) which is rare in these figures. I was a little curious why the base didn't match the texture on the deluxe 3PO base when they went to the trouble of allowing them to connect, but I was very happy regardless.

The Library droids are nice. Nothing too special, but nice.

I was a little surprised that the tuskan raider didn't have articulated legs. It doesn't seem to want to stand with the legs posed as they are. The head gimmick works well, and the sculpt is good. I did think that the colors were a little too bright to match the other sand people they've released. I'm looking forward to getting the new collection 1 figs soon.