PDA

View Full Version : 'Fess up! Who's watching American Idol?

Pages : 1 [2]

UKWildcat
04-11-2007, 10:11 PM
So the eye-candy is gone. :upset:

OC47150
04-12-2007, 08:45 AM
Oh great, the bloated one-hour episodes are back. :cross-eye

Did anyone else get the feeling/vibe that Haley was relieved to be sent home? It appeared as she thoroughly enjoyed herself singing her farewell song. A little booty shaking, I noticed.

And what country song will Sanjaya sing?

JEDIpartner
04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
I think Haley knew she was out of her depth and just wanted to go. She really stunk anyhow. Maybe she'll have some money to get that horrid mole removed from her face now. :)

OC47150
04-12-2007, 09:37 AM
I think Haley knew she was out of her depth and just wanted to go. She really stunk anyhow. Maybe she'll have some money to get that horrid mole removed from her face now. :)

She has a summer job at least until September.

JEDIpartner
04-12-2007, 02:22 PM
True... you can see her live on the American Idol Karaoke tour!!!

UKWildcat
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Oh great, the bloated one-hour episodes are back. :cross-eye

yea, I don't really understand that. why take a show and drag it out over an hour when you could easily accomplish the set goal (to read the results and kick someone off) in 5 minutes?!?!?! :confused: :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
04-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Honestly, I'd rather see them change the format for next year. Have the contestants sing the first night and then have the judges give their critique the next night before they announce who's getting kicked off. It would be an interesting experiment.

OC47150
04-12-2007, 04:07 PM
True... you can see her live on the American Idol Karaoke tour!!!

Still wouldn't shell out money to see 'em. Now the Police is a different story. :pleased:

JEDIpartner
04-13-2007, 09:45 AM
Ditto... and I will probably just buy the inevitable DVD of the Police tour. LOL

OC47150
04-13-2007, 09:51 AM
I have tix to see the Police rock Churchill Downs in July, so that's my one concert for the year.

And I got tix I could afford too!!

JEDIpartner
04-13-2007, 11:05 AM
That was my issue. Did I want to travel this year or spend money on a show? I picked "travel". I'm sure it will be a good show... as long as it's more exciting than the performance they turned in on the Grammys. That was a snore even though a part of me was excited to see them together again.

I'm really glad that they stopped getting along during the sessions for the "Every Breath You Take - The Singles". I don't know if you were aware that all the tracks were scheduled to be rerecorded for that project and they only got as far as "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and then it was fight! Fight! Fight! While I dig that version for what it is, nothing beats the original.

OC47150
04-13-2007, 11:35 AM
I enjoy the Police's music. Not a huge die-hard fan, though. I think it will be a good show.

The Rolling Stones played Churchill Downs last fall. They were on my must-see list. And it was the first time there's been a huge concert like that at the track. Great show, BTW. It rained but the show went on.

My buddy who went with me to the Stones concert is going with me to the Police show. We thought it would be fun to try and see all the groups who play Churchill. It's a once a year event, if that.

Last year's Idol tour played the Kentucky State Fair, which was a first for my area. But tix were $40+.

JEDIpartner
04-13-2007, 12:21 PM
I couldn't bring myself to see the Idols Live tour. Everything I've ever read about it smacks of "cheap". Well... especially now that I will probably need to fork over loads of cash for the Exclusive Convention McQuarrie figures, I'm glad I didn't get Police tickets. *sigh* Those figures are really casuing me a lot of grief.

UKWildcat
04-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Evidently a lot of people are comparing Melinda Doolittle to Shrek... and after seeing a side-by-side comparison... well, I'll let you decide.

2-1B
04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
I see some resemblance.

JEDIpartner
04-15-2007, 10:26 AM
She knows people have said that about her. I felt really bad about that. She also said she's read that people have called her "platypus". It kinda makes me wanna cry that people are so cruel.

2-1B
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
That's not to say I find her unattractive or anything, just that those two particular pics lined up next to each other show the resemblance in her big smile.

The ET to Fergie comparison, however, was really troubling ! :eek:

UKWildcat
04-15-2007, 08:48 PM
The ET to Fergie comparison, however, was really troubling ! :eek:

Pics please!!! :p

2-1B
04-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Pics please!!! :p

I honestly don't know where it is...Caps posted it somewhere awhile back and I thought it was creepy ! :eek:

You know what, I bet it is in my Black Eyed Peas thread. Allow me to dig:

http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=527775&postcount=24

Read that post first because the way Caps linked it is PRICELESS. lol

UKWildcat
04-15-2007, 10:50 PM
:eek:

That is f**king hilarious! "They even have the same little hat." lol :thumbsup:

OC47150
04-16-2007, 08:23 AM
Entertainment Weekly reportedly has an interview with Simon stating this year's group of kids aren't the greatest singers, when compared to past groups. (I will try and verify that.)

Glad someone in the know notices!!

Simon also predicts that Sanjaya won't make it to the top 5. Fingers crossed.

UKWildcat
04-16-2007, 11:18 AM
I'll agree too. This group (with a couple of exceptions) stinks something awful. Much worse than prior groups. :yes:

JEDIpartner
04-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I think the group is just as uninteresting as the season one contestants.

JEDIpartner
04-17-2007, 09:29 PM
Phil was surprisingly good tonight.

LaKisha was "ehhhh"...

Jordin f'ing rocked!!

Chris was "ehhhh"...

Sanjaya was horrid and what the heck was Ryan's point?

Blake was fine but he had trouble navigating from his falsetto down to his chest voice. Again... "ehhhhh"...

Melinda... I'm glad Simon told her to knock off the "surprise look". She sounded really good, though. She also looked the best she's looked.

UKWildcat
04-17-2007, 09:45 PM
I think Jordan can, and will, win this thing.

JEDIpartner
04-17-2007, 09:51 PM
Melinda's gonna get a contract anyhow. I'm sure Jordin could as well. But given her age, I think she'd benefit from the guiding from 19 Management.

UKWildcat
04-17-2007, 09:57 PM
I'm sure Blake will get a contract too.

Sanjaya will probably put out an album too, one similar to that of William Hung.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 12:24 AM
Dear Sanjaya,

Please note: "Something to Talk About" is not a country song.

Dear Blake,

Please note: Tim McGraw may have covered "When the Stars Go Blue," but the song is not "by" him.

Thank you.

Oh, and I hope you both go home within the next few weeks.

OC47150
04-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I seriously contemplated getting a butter knife and trying to do bodily harm to myself after hearing Sanjaya sing. It was that damn bad.

And what was Seacrest's point, other than to give Sanjaya more camera time?

Jordin is talented, but she looked like she was wearing one of Liz Taylor's cast-off dresses from the 1960s.

For once, Lakisha is in big danger of going home.

JEDIpartner
04-18-2007, 10:23 AM
I agree. Since Sanjaya seems to be "Teflon Girl", the next two people in danger of leaving seem to be Chris and LaKisha.

Note to Chris: "Nasal" is not an accepted singing "style". :rolleyes:

I think I'm going to go off and write a new off-Broadway show called "The Sanjaya Monologues"!!!! :D

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 10:36 AM
Note to Chris: "Nasal" is not an accepted singing "style". :rolleyes:

Thanks. I'd forgotten that one, since Chris is always so forgettable and typically I can't remember him ten seconds after the fact.

I wonder where the "nasally" stereotype in country came from? Looking back at the old, old country music, only a few singers are nasally. Yeah, they have accents (often heavy), but only Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, and (later) Willie Nelson are truly nasal singers. But they're the three great songwriters of country music. And, if you take away they're accents, none of them is as nasally as Bob Dylan, and everyone doesn't try to sing rock music like Bob.

Weird.

JEDIpartner
04-18-2007, 10:46 AM
I generally think Chris is a nice kid. Zero charisma but nice. After his little verbal slap at Simon and his oddly placed shout out to the VTech students and families, which seemed like a way to curry the voters' favour, I don't think he's a nice kid at all.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 10:59 AM
I remember that now, and commented on it. Mrs Chuxter thought he was being nice and trying to make sure he got his statement in. But didn't Simon ask him a direct question, and he responded with that instead?

JEDIpartner
04-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Yeah... maybe he meant it to be sincere but he buried it in the huff of his disagreement with Simon. That just made it look and sound completely stupid.

UKWildcat
04-18-2007, 10:07 PM
Well it's about time.

CaptainSolo1138
04-18-2007, 10:24 PM
Well it's about time.You beat me to it!:D

General_Grievous
04-18-2007, 11:16 PM
I don't even watch the damn show and I'm happy. I saw on the news that Sanjaya got booted and I was happy. I was getting sick of hearing about him and that stupid girl who was crying over him, though I don't know why. The kid's so effeminate he makes Little Richard look like Dog the Bounty Hunter.

El Chuxter
04-18-2007, 11:41 PM
My God, this still doesn't air for twenty minutes here! It'll be hard to contain my glee while I watch with Mrs Chux. :D

JEDIpartner
04-19-2007, 07:36 AM
I know it's cruel by I enjoyed seeing him cry. He should've been off weeks ago!

OC47150
04-19-2007, 08:29 AM
To paraphrase Hall and Oates, he's gone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razz:

FYI, that bearded looking hippie guy who Seacrest interviewed was on Amazing Race last year. Can't remember which one he is but he's BJ or Tyler. I'd read he was in the audience last week.

Looks like Fergie cleaned her act up to be on AI, but that shoe commerical just shot all that work down.

JEDIpartner
04-19-2007, 08:55 AM
I still can't believe no one commented on my "Sanjaya Monologues" comment a few posts back!

OC47150
04-23-2007, 10:29 AM
Programming note: Sanjaya is doing the top 10 on Letterman tonight (4-23).

UKWildcat
04-24-2007, 09:00 PM

I firmly stand by this statement.

JEDIpartner
04-24-2007, 09:16 PM
I agree. The three best performances this evening were by Jordin, Melinda and Phil-- and in that order. Jordin and Melinda moved me to tears. AMAZING!!!!

El Chuxter
04-25-2007, 12:35 AM
Funny, everyone else I've talked to loved Jordin tonight. I thought she sounded melodramatic and affected. And she's been my favorite or runner-up every week till now.

Blake chose a song that was out of his league.

Chris should probably listen to the lyrics of songs that are obviously about unrequited love before saying they're inspiring.

LaKisha was downright bad this week. She should've realized by now that it's not a bright idea to keep performing songs by past winners. Especially when the songs suck.

OC47150
04-25-2007, 08:27 AM
Funny, everyone else I've talked to loved Jordin tonight. I thought she sounded melodramatic and affected. And she's been my favorite or runner-up every week till now.

I agree, El Chuxter. I didn't care for Jordin's song. Didn't move me at all.

I will say the competition is her's to win or lose.

I thought Blake did a good job. But like Simon said, it's a well-known song, it's somber yet deep. There's not much you can do to change it. Definitely can beat-box to it.

JEDIpartner
04-25-2007, 10:56 AM
Well... you can try "Cold, detatched and mechanical but with a sincere human voice" like Madonna did a couple years ago. That was a noble effort. Not saying it was good... but at least it was "different".

You can try the gospel route like Jennifer Hudson did a couple years back. I enjoyed that.

Beyond that... you can just try your best at it but Lennon's performance is so outright brilliant and understated but so passionate that you really cannot compete.

I think the "affected" part of Jordin's performance was that she really felt the song and was about to burst into tears. I caught her stomping her foot a couple times in order to keep herself on-track. I've seen a number of singers do this and it actually works. I've done it myself. I also think he voice was about to crack on the word "rain", which is why she put it in her head voice. Smart move. She didn't hit the target on the word "lark" but that was forgiveable.

2-1B
04-25-2007, 11:27 PM
What did Chris sing ?

JEDIpartner
04-26-2007, 07:56 AM
"Change the World" - the title works but it's a love song. :rolleyes:

OC47150
04-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I flipped back and forth last night during the big Idol love fest. Thought it was a cop out that no one was voted off.

Question: how much is Simon, Randy, Paula and Seacrest giving to Idol Gives Back? Simon's gonna make $40 million this year alone. He can whip out the checkbook. He can afford it. So can the others.

If the judges and Seacrest can't or aren't willing to cough some of their money up, the whole effort can't be taken seriously.

JEDIpartner
04-26-2007, 09:56 AM
I think they are donating.

I haven't voted all season but I did to ensure they met their goal so the coporate donation would be made. I also made a donation myself. :)

OC47150
04-27-2007, 06:41 PM
I read earlier today that Simon made a 'significant' six-figure donation.

No word if Dumb and Dumber gave.

El Chuxter
05-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Dear God,

I'm only asking you for one thing. Please kill Blake Lewis.

That was the worst performance in Idol history. The man has a spot reserved in hell, right between Hitler and the a**h*** from Hasbro who made Thundercracker a $300 convention exclusive.

I want to vote him off so badly, I'd take Sanjaya back in a heartbeat.

Tonysmo
05-02-2007, 06:31 AM
Dear God,

That was the worst performance in Idol history. The man has a spot reserved in hell, right between Hitler and the a**h*** from Hasbro who made Thundercracker a $300 convention exclusive.

haha you cant be THAT serious. It was indeed scary... but...

I got into it.. it was actually pretty cool to see what he did with it. It was indeed different.. and yes, you actually have to get over the fact that he totally shredded that song.. but I think he did well.

Ill say.. chris is gone.. and lakisha. Jordan didnt do so hot - but I think she is still safe.

OC47150
05-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Quit, El Chuxter, you're making me laugh!!! :D

I thought Blake took a risk, more so than the others, with his song style.

This was Jordin's weakest performance in the entire competition. I don't think she's in danger of going home.

UKWildcat
05-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Ill say.. chris is gone.. and lakisha.

Ditto.......
Mainly b/c they were the lowest last week and last week brought in over 50+ million votes so them being saved from last nights performance would be really really difficult. I don't think either of them did exceptionally well to where they could make up the difference. But I don't know, we shall see. (they were the lowest two last week correct?)

Btw Chux, my side is hurting from laughing so hard.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2007, 10:18 AM
I thought Blake took a risk, more so than the others, with his song style.

I agree. I admired him for that. I didn't think it was horrible. I still like the original, but at least it wasn't a rote copycat rendition.

Sad to say that Jordin was the worst of the bunch. I think the goodwill she's built up and the numbers she got last week will buoy her up this week.

Chris was rather unremarkable again. (bye)

LaKisha seemed to find the best choice of song for herself. She came back a little bit this week. Still, I don't think it was enough to save her from her decline. She's really on the bubble and it could be her or Phil.

Melinda really surprised me. I looked at my partner and said, "Wow... she's got a little Tina Turner going on today!"

Phil was quite good this week. He's had three good weeks in a row. If they could just do something with his scary face now... :ninja: Still, I don't think's enough to save him. I think he's gone this week. (bye)

wampaslayr
05-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Dear God,

What Blake did last night was no different than what Bon Jovi did on their "This Left Feels Right" CD where they recorded "You Give Love..." in a Stray Cats kind of style. That version will never replace the orginal, but they tried something different with their own song and Blake also took a chance with his version and I have to give him credit for going that route and not doing a lame karaoke version of the song.

El Chuxter
05-02-2007, 12:10 PM
But Blake didn't sing. As Simon is (sometimes) fond of pointing out, this is a singing competition. That dork needs to find a street corner in New York or LA where idiots will throw him quarters for that kind of mess.

Funny, I disagreed with the judges (and apparently everyone here) on the quality of the performances. Melinda was best. Jordin was quite good. Lakisha was too inconsistent. Phil was mediocre, and Chris was, again, so boring I forgot he was still on the show.

JEDIpartner
05-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Buddy... he sang 2/3 of that song. LOL Put the needle on a record that ain't so broken, please. LOL Simon was even largely impressed with it. So... there goes your support on the argument.

What Blake did last night was no different than what Bon Jovi did on their "This Left Feels Right" CD where they recorded "You Give Love..." in a Stray Cats kind of style. That version will never replace the orginal, but they tried something different with their own song and Blake also took a chance with his version and I have to give him credit for going that route and not doing a lame karaoke version of the song.

Didn't they even do a ballad version of it on their Greatest Hits CD?

wampaslayr
05-02-2007, 12:42 PM
"This Left Feels Right" was a greatest hits CD where Bon Jovi re-recorded their biggest songs in different music styles. "You Give Love A Bad Name" was recorded in a style similar to the Stray Cats; "It's My Life" sounded like a Barry Manilow torch song; "Livin' On A Prayer" was a slowed down ballad/duet with actress Olivia D'Abo. It's a different album and only die hard fans like myself I think will appreciate it for what it is. None of these versions though will ever replace the originals. I don't think the album was a success for them either. It was an outlet for them to do something different.

El Chuxter
05-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Fine, I'm outnumbered. I still think he sucks. You're never going to change my mind. Period. He is a Douchebag McTampon, and I would not pee on him if he were on fire. Having the cajones to do something different is not always equivalent to a good performance. Constantly revamping everything to add the same moronic gimmick that was old twenty years ago when Police Academy 2 came out is never going to make him suck less.

I have every Bon Jovi album except 7800 Fahrenheit (never much cared for their really old stuff). I've listened to This Left Feels Right once. The only reason I never got rid of it is because it's Bon Jovi.

UKWildcat
05-02-2007, 01:18 PM
Funny, I disagreed with the judges (and apparently everyone here) on the quality of the performances. Melinda was best. Jordin was quite good. Lakisha was too inconsistent. Phil was mediocre, and Chris was, again, so boring I forgot he was still on the show.

What about Blake? ;) :p I'll agree with your assestment here, although I think Phil did a pretty good job. He's definitely been improving over the past few weeks, but like JP mentioned, that face is mad scary looking.

I also agree with both sides of this Blake tussle. I wouldn't exactly say Blake sucks per se, but I don't really like his whole style of singing or music or whatever you want to call it. I could really careless, it's just not my thing. But the kid definitely has some talent, though I'm just not all that interested in it. I can easily see why some people hate him (Chux) and some people love him (JP).

JEDIpartner
05-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I called it!!!!

I have this weird feeling that the finale may end up being Blake and Jordin-- depending on how Blake does in the next couple weeks. I'd prefer it to be Melinda and Jordin, but... *shrug*

OC47150
05-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Seacrest made a comment at the beginning of the show about it being fluff, and I couldn't agree any more. I started playing on the computer, taking breaks only to see Phil and Chris get kicked off.

I think JEDIPartner is right. Unless someone royally screws up or outshines the others, the final will be Blake and Jordin.

UKWildcat
05-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I knew Chis was gone, but I thought Lakisha was going to go too. I wasn't expecting Phil. I could really careless about the remaining contestants, but I want Jordin to win.

JEDIpartner
05-03-2007, 03:10 PM
How much more COULD you care about the remaining contestants if you could care less? ;)

OC47150
05-04-2007, 12:00 PM
What's the theme for next week? I haven't heard.

I know I've harped on this topic a couple of times this season, but the judges and producers need to do a better job of selecting contestants next year. Every show is allowed to have an off-year and this is AI's year.

UKWildcat
05-04-2007, 12:09 PM
How much more COULD you care about the remaining contestants if you could care less? ;)

Not much.... lol

What's the theme for next week? I haven't heard.

No clue.

I know I've harped on this topic a couple of times this season, but the judges and producers need to do a better job of selecting contestants next year. Every show is allowed to have an off-year and this is AI's year.

I couldn't agree more.

JEDIpartner
05-04-2007, 01:11 PM
Barry Gibb is the celebrity coach and it's a disco/funk theme.

OC47150
05-08-2007, 08:53 AM
Should be a good show tonight.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm time shifting. I have to have dinner with a friend tonight and he's set the time later than I had hoped. *sigh*

UKWildcat
05-09-2007, 10:53 AM
Well you didn't miss much if you were unable to see last night's ep. Dale. It was horrible. The best part about last night's show was the judges ripping into Blake (I know I said I was impartial, but he is really starting to get on my nerves).

JEDIpartner
05-09-2007, 12:03 PM
I think the beatboxing was a bit much. I agree that, when done sparingly, it's fine. Beyond that, it's overkill. Barry really seemed to think Jordin is destined for great things despite her showing last night. He's worked with many female singers who've had long-term careers (whether you like them or not, they still draw a crowd and make money and sell albums... Olivia Newton-John, Barbra Streisand, Dolly Parton, Celine Dion and Dionne Warwick), so he's a pretty good judge, I'd say!

Melinda... I agree with the judges. Great vocal... no "wow" factor.

LaKisha... *shrug* She was fine. No worse or better than Blake. Either could go tonight.

UKWildcat
05-09-2007, 12:07 PM
I'll be happy as long as anyone other than Jordin gets the boot.

JEDIpartner
05-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Per an MSN poll on who deserves to go home this week:

Melinda Doolittle 3.3%
LaKisha Jones 62%
Blake Lewis 33%
Jordin Sparks 2.5%

2-1B
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Blake's shirt tonight...jeez I cracked up when I saw that. lol

OC47150
05-10-2007, 08:58 AM
I liked Blake's shirt. Takes guts to wear something like that on national TV!

Not surprised Lakisha is gone. I think the theme night was one of the more difficult ones this season, and none of the kids really shined. Jordin took an easy out with two ballads. Each kid should've sang a fast song and a ballad, just to make it fair.

Someone on another board thought Barry Gibb sounded a lot like Sean Connery. I be damned if that poster wasn't right! I was waiting for Mr. Gibb to start spouting James Bond lines during his interviews.

And I loved the girls on the street doing their Paula clapping like a drunk seal imitations! :thumbsup:

I'll be honest: I've been tuning in on Wednesday nights to see who's voted off, and that's it.

JEDIpartner
05-10-2007, 10:41 AM
It was a no-brainer that "Gappy" was going home last night.

Mr. Gibb certainly does sound like Connery!! I think he's also got some really bad false teeth, too! Oh, and gurrrrrrrrrrrrl... I did NOT need to see some old man's nipples through his black see-through shirt!! Gah!!!!

OC47150
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Gappy! That's great!!

I was waiting for Barry to say 'Moneypenny' or '***** Galore!'

JEDIpartner
05-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Yeah... I figured now that she's gone, I could reveal the name we've been calling her around the office. :D

UKWildcat
05-10-2007, 12:00 PM
That's mean! You guys ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

Btw - She goes by the name of "Nessy" around these parts. :D

El Chuxter
05-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Barry needed to go home and not embarass himself. That was pathetic. And I actually dig the Bee-Gees.

What was the deal with the Pink performance? She doesn't have a new album or anything.

OC47150
05-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Wasn't Pink advertised to perform during Idol Give Back special?

JEDIpartner
05-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Yeah... it was filmed and then broadcast last week. They had more "On location" clips to show, so all the performances they had on the original line-up didn't make the cut.

OC47150
05-14-2007, 02:35 PM
The AI tour is coming to Louisville again this year again!! Tickets are just $51!!!!

I'm passing. :pleased:

UKWildcat
05-15-2007, 10:09 PM
I'd pass too... lol

I purposely skipped tonight's show. How did everyone do? Who is getting the boot?

El Chuxter
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
$51 to see Sanjaya?

What a bargain! This is a bargain for me!!

CaptainSolo1138
05-16-2007, 07:14 AM
What a bargain! This is a bargain for me!!Eddie at his finest.

OC47150
05-16-2007, 08:38 AM
Based on last night's performances alone, Jordin should go home. She definitely didn't bring her A game. I'd say it was more like a B-, C+ game.

Melinda was definitely the star of the show. Singing good and sassy at the same time! Good song choices for her.

I'd say Blake was a close second, just from his second song.

But guys, the $51 gets you into the state fair, too!! Corn dogs and Sanjaya!!!!!!!!!!!!! :razz:

JEDIpartner
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I'd never go see this live show. From what I've heard about it, it's all backing tracks and they just amble out onto the stage and sing their song or songs and have a few group numbers. Whoopee.

I wasn't all that thrilled that Melinda and Jordin sang songs from earlier in the season as their "favourite" songs. That did nothing to show me they have anything extra to offer... even though we know they do! Blake really did a bang up job on the Maroon 5 song and the Robin Thicke song. Blake really suprised me this week and the girls disappointed me to a certain degree.

Melinda's take on "Nutbush City Limits" was good. It was nice to hear her do something that was less melodic and more about a groove and some sass. It was a pleasant change.

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 11:50 AM
I think it's telling that the producers and judges chose Tina Turner and Whitney Houston for Melinda. Two female singers who are totally untouchable (or, at least, Whitney was at one point). And for herself, she chose Etta James. That's quite a little triumvirate there.

Blake needs to go home. His "Roxeanne" was mediocre, and his "This Love" was a bland carbon copy with some beatboxing. I didn't know the third one, but it annoyed me that the music was just "A Fifth of Beethoven."

Jordin didn't do as well as normal, but I blame it mostly on song choice. Especially that stupid Rose Royce song. I've never heard it before, and I think there's a reason for it.

JEDIpartner
05-16-2007, 02:30 PM
That Rose Royce song was a huge hit and it was even covered in the late 1980s by The Cover Girls, I believe. I actually liked that song.

Simon annoys me sometimes, though. First he picks a song from the 70s for Jordin and then proceeds to berate her for the lousy (updated) arrangement. Then she sings a song from the 1960s and has a traditional arrangement and berates her for sounding "old-fashioned". Well, which is it going to be???!!!!! :rolleyes:

JEDIpartner
05-16-2007, 10:06 PM
I have this weird feeling that the finale may end up being Blake and Jordin-- depending on how Blake does in the next couple weeks. I'd prefer it to be Melinda and Jordin, but... *shrug*

Did I call it on 3 May or WHAT???!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

UKWildcat
05-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Good work Jp. I'm still hoping that Jordin wins, even though I could really careless. ;) :D

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 11:51 PM
I guess this proves that the American people should not be allowed to vote on anything, as they're idiots.

On the plus side, this means the best singer of the season will have less control from the 19 machine when she puts out an album, which is pretty much a given. I'd rather hear her stick to blues and funky old soul than be forced into a lame top 40 format.

Blake is a ****weed. He sucks more donkeys than Justin Timberlake.

OC47150
05-17-2007, 08:44 AM
If you were to base it on Tuesday night's performance alone, the wrong person went home. Jordin lacked the spark Tuesday night.

I'm with UK: I could care less at this point. I went to bed early and found out who won on the morning news.

JEDIpartner
05-17-2007, 09:12 AM
I think Melinda will have the opportunity to put out an amazing album since she won't be bound by the creative constraints of putting out an "American Idol" album. I think Blake did really well on Tuesday night. Still, Jordin's got a lot of fans and I think that carried her through without much of a problem.

I really hope Jordin wins the competition. Yeah, Melinda was the best singer, it's true. Still, Jordin's quite good and has the potential to have a long-term career if she is given the right material.

And OC and UK... you "couldn't" care less. Please note this for future use. ;)

El Chuxter
05-17-2007, 12:20 PM
We're going to have to disagree on Blake. I don't think he's done well a single time this season. Partly it's the reliance on a gimmick older than he is, and partly because he's just a mediocre, boring singer.

UKWildcat
05-17-2007, 12:32 PM

But I could care less. I could care less and less until there is nothing to care about. :p But I see and understand your point Jp. I see the error of my ways. Evidently this is a heated topic amongnst folks. I found a lot of web sites explaining the two phrases. Look, I even found a little chart: lol

JEDIpartner
05-17-2007, 01:23 PM
We're going to have to disagree on Blake. I don't think he's done well a single time this season. Partly it's the reliance on a gimmick older than he is, and partly because he's just a mediocre, boring singer.

Possibly... but people apparently like what he has to offer. And that's a fact whether good or bad. I never voted for him but... *shrug*

But I could care less. I could care less and less until there is nothing to care about. :p But I see and understand your point Jp. I see the error of my ways. Evidently this is a heated topic amongnst folks. I found a lot of web sites explaining the two phrases. Look, I even found a little chart: lol

Well... then what would it take for you actually stop caring? :p

UKWildcat
05-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Well... then what would it take for you actually stop caring? :p

I guess for the season to end, which is really soon. Woohoo! :D

El Chuxter
05-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Possibly... but people apparently like what he has to offer. And that's a fact whether good or bad. I never voted for him but... *shrug*

They voted for Justin Guarini over Christina Christian, too. :rolleyes:

I stopped voting myself a couple of seasons ago. It's simply too much at the whim of 12-year-old girls and who they think is cute. If they instituted some sort of limits on the number of time a given phone could place a vote, it would make it seem more legit.

I have decided this is best for Melinda, all said. Taylor and Bo were both forced into the "American Idol mold" when they released their albums, and neither album was particularly good.

I honestly can't help but wonder if the judges and producers picked songs that wouldn't appeal to a younger audience to sabotage Melinda (from a certain point of view). Seriously. Think about it. If she were one of the top two, she'd essentially have to be forced into a mold that she wouldn't fit into, but that Blake and Jordin would fit better in. It's no secret that she's one of Simon's all-time favorites. As soon as she's voted off, they step in and offer her a contract that's not necessarily the big prize, but lucrative enough to keep her from signing with another label. Then they can still hype the hell out of her appearances on AI, but she can put out an album more suited to her style. (As opposed to releasing a top 40 styled album, a la Taylor, which is the weakest selling album released by an American Idol winner by a pretty wide margin.)

Just a thought.

JEDIpartner
05-21-2007, 12:54 PM
They voted for Justin Guarini over Christina Christian, too. :rolleyes:

I hate to say that I can't even recall who she is!! LOL

Tonysmo
05-22-2007, 09:02 AM
say hello to Jordan Sparks..

your new..

American Idol. :thumbsup:

OC47150
05-22-2007, 11:27 AM

This has been an up and down season for AI. It could've been so much better if there were different singers chosen along with way (just look at the Hollywood week), and different theme nights chosen, too.

Simon commented in a newspaper article over the weekend that Jordin is a great singer but she hasn't once wowed him with song choices. To me, that says a lot.

Will I watch tonight? I'll probably tape it; NCIS's finale is on. Will I watch tomorrow? Two hours of bloated, self-congratulatory filler? Again, I will probably tape it.

I'd like to see changes made for next season: new judges, better singers.

JEDIpartner
05-23-2007, 08:15 AM
I'd have to agree with Simon last night. Blake had the best individual performance but Jordin's vocals were stellar. Jordin wasn't really selling me on her interpretation of Crustina Uglygorilla's "Fighter". Her voice was singing it but her body language wasn't showing it. She really connected with "With a Broken Wing"-- and I think even better than the first time she did it during country week. You knew that the "finale song" was going to be some over-wrought, sappy number, so it was obvious that Jordin was going to take it.

OC47150
05-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Is Fox making a Civil War movie? 'Cause it looked like Randy raided wardrobe for that Confederate-looking cavalry jacket.

Taped it, haven't watched it yet. Sorry, but the finale of NCIS took priority. :)

El Chuxter
05-23-2007, 10:48 AM
I turned to it, left the room, came back briefly to hear Blake raping "You Give Love a Bad Name" again (seriously, that sort of stuff is illegal), left again, came back to hear the end of Jordin singing the crappy finale song, and don't feel like I missed anything.

Whatever happened to the songwriter contest they hyped early on?

OC47150
05-23-2007, 11:15 AM

Never materialized. I think it fell to the wayside early on in the season.

UKWildcat
05-23-2007, 01:07 PM
I didn't catch last night's show but I hear Jordin did really well, and did much better than Blake, WOOHOO!!!

I'd like to see changes made for next season: new judges, better singers.

Keep Simon though! Simon is the best. They should definitely ditch the drugged up/drunked up fumbling/bumbling idiot woman that adds nothing to the show and doesn't have any corrective criticism to give to the contestants. Oh yeah, better singers too! This year stunk for the most part.

El Chuxter
05-23-2007, 01:21 PM
Randy's pretty worthless. His praise sounds like this:

Yo, yo, yo, dog. I wasn't sure about you singing a song by _____, since I worked with ____ back in the day, but, yo, you did a'ight, you made it your own. It was hot. You in the dog pound, dog!

UKWildcat
05-23-2007, 01:25 PM
lol

Not to mention that the only criticism he gives is always "pitch" related.

It started out kinda rough, some pitch problems... I don't know.. Whadda you think Paula?

OC47150
05-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Randy's pretty worthless. His praise sounds like this:

Excuse me, El Chuxter, but it's dawg.

I've said it before, the only opinion that counts is Simon. Paula would heap praise on Hitler, Stalin and Saddam if they were performing on the stage.

"Well, Adolf, you were a little pitchy, but that's a smart looking outfit you have on tonight!"

Just think how much better this season would've been if some of the singers highlighted before and during the Hollywood stage made it.

wampaslayr
05-23-2007, 02:07 PM
I turned to it, left the room, came back briefly to hear Blake raping "You Give Love a Bad Name" again (seriously, that sort of stuff is illegal), left again, came back to hear the end of Jordin singing the crappy finale song, and don't feel like I missed anything.

That song that Jordin and Blake sang at the end was the song that was chosen. Ryan interviewed the two writers, who were from Seattle, earlier in the show. I can't believe that was the song that won. If that was the best of the bunch, it's not saying much about the song-writing talent of the contestants. I would be uncomfortable singing that song, too, if I were Blake. He tried to make it fit his style and didn't quite work.

I know that it is a singing competition and Lord knows Randy and Simon weren't going to let me forget it since they kept repeating it over and over again throughout the night. Yes, it is a singing competition, but after the competition is over, the winner has to be able to sell out arenas and unfortunately Jordin will not be able to do that. If all she is going to do is stand behind a mike and sing, her audience will get up and leave after her second song. I agree Blake is not perfect, but at least he is entertaining to watch and I feel will have longevity in the business and that is why Blake got my vote last night.

DarkArtist
05-23-2007, 09:37 PM
I really really really want Blake for the win tonight. I just think his music would be a new twist on pop. as far as the last song the other night, it wasn't that great of a song one, and not his style music.

on a side note, I think an interesting twist would be a duet with Blake and Paula.

UKWildcat
05-24-2007, 12:05 AM

Yes I did! :pleased: :thumbsup: lol ;)

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Seeing Sanjaya have the opportunity to sing with Joe Perry made me wish I was a talentless hack as well. I really hope that ol' Joe was in in the joke.

As for the show, it was all but a foregone conclusion as to who the winner was gonna be. She was consistently mediocre IMO, which gave her the advantage over Blake, who was good one week and bad the next for the most part.

Stretching it out to two hours seemed a bit ridiculous. The "Golden Idol" awards are stupid and make me feel embarrassed for the recipients. I think the "bush baby" and the fat kid (I smell a sitcom!) thought they were actually being laughed with.

Stretching five minutes worth of substance out over the course of two hours would be like making an entire TV show based on the Geico caveman commercials, and we all know that would never happen!:thumbsup:

OC47150
05-24-2007, 08:16 AM
I barely watched the show. Sorry, but I lost interest. But here's a few observations I made:

* Do you really think the winning song will get radio airplay? Be honest. I don't.

* Was Clive Davis outright calling Taylor and Katharine failures? That's what it sounded like to me.

* Carrie should release 'I'll Stand By You' on her next album.

El Chuxter
05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
Record sales have nothing to do with how many are being sold anymore. They're based entirely on retailer pre-orders. The music industry is so corrupt and screwed up, it's not even funny.

CaptainSolo1138
05-24-2007, 12:13 PM
By far my favorite moment last night, which I somehow forgot to post about earlier, was the too-heavy battery pack on Kelly Clarkson that gave us all a peek at the top of her butt crack.:lipsrsealed:

Is it just me or is her hotness directly correlated to the amount of chub she's got? She's one of those chicks who would look worse skinny, IMO.

OC47150
05-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Kelly has said she's not bothered by eating a cookie or two after a hard day's work. That's refreshing.

I thought everyone would find this interesting. Last night's ratings. In short, the finale was almost 7 million viewers less than last year's finale. Goes to show there's a problem somewhere.

http://www.zap2it.com/tv/ratings/zap-ratings052307,0,1794696.story?coll=zap-news-headlines

2-1B
05-25-2007, 12:23 AM
Is it just me or is her hotness directly correlated to the amount of chub she's got?

Her hotness is also directly correlated to the amount of chub I've got.

JEDIpartner
05-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I think Kelly's still got an above average body for an American. She's really hot and I applaud her for not submitting to the pressures of anorexia. The fact that one could call her "chubby" shows how we, as a society, contribute to image problems and eating disorders. You go, Kelly!!!

dr_evazan22
05-26-2007, 11:24 AM
This is only the second full season I've watched and I have a question about the finalist... Is it always a guy and a girl? This year Blake and Jordin, last year Taylor and Kat.

I'm asking because I had heard a rumor that the fix is on on AI, that only 2 winners have been chosen by the public (Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood).

El Chuxter
05-26-2007, 01:10 PM
I actually was wondering if it was fixed to make it a guy and a girl. Twice, there have been two of the same gender, and they didn't do as well.

1: Kelly vs Justin. Justin crashed and burned, but Kelly has more than made up for it.

2: Clay vs Ruben. Both showed promise early on, but fizzled out quickly.

3: Fantasia vs Diana. Diana totally vanished from the face of the earth, and Fantasia's success has been on Broadway.

4: Carrie vs Bo. Bo did only okay (though likely because his first album was pop, and he sings southern rock), but Carrie has done quite well for herself among the ignorant country music audiences.

5: Taylor vs Kat. Too early to tell, but they both seem to be doing okay.

Tonysmo
05-27-2007, 04:10 AM
Carrie has done quite well for herself among the ignorant country music audiences.

wtf... I'd say being biased against a certain genre of music is your own ignorance.. If you donít like it. fine. but donít diss the people who do.

no drama. that just struck a nerve. <3 :)

UKWildcat
02-19-2008, 09:22 PM
I haven't been overly impressed with most of the contestants this season. They have been claiming "the most talented group yet" or something like that, but I don't see it. With that said:

Kristy Lee Cook is hot, and can sing, so she is my favorite. If she doesn't win, or at least make it to the final 12, I will be very disappointed.

Most of the dudes are just awful. Bunch of Sanjya-like douche bags. I think David Cook is alright, same with Michael Johns. David Archuleta or whatever, can sing, but he is 100% obnoxious. Don't even get me started on that Danny Noriega tool. Argh. Just not a good group of guys.

I absolutely can not stand Amanda Overmyer. She disgusts me. The girls definitely have an edge over the guys, and I will be shocked if one doesn't win; especially Krsity Lee. Kady, Alaina and Amy are alright too. Better vocalists for sure, compared the guys. Like I said, I will be shocked if a girl doesn't win.

So is anyone else watching this season?

CaptainSolo1138
02-19-2008, 10:29 PM
So is anyone else watching this season?I flipped back and forth between AI and the Blues/Hawks game on Vs. tonight. Five hours of AI is a bit much for me in a week.

I was extremely underwhelmed by pretty much everyone. The only one I actually liked was the dude with the dreads who played "What a Day for a Daydream", and even that sounded only slightly better than some fratty out on the Quad.

UKWildcat
02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
The only one I actually liked was the dude with the dreads who played "What a Day for a Daydream", and even that sounded only slightly better than some fratty out on the Quad.

Yeah, I liked him the best too.

El Chuxter
02-19-2008, 10:56 PM
I read an article about how many of the contestants this season had already had major label contracts and squandered them. It sort of killed it for me. I'll watch, but I won't feel compelled to be home by 8 to see it.

OC47150
02-20-2008, 01:20 PM
I've taped the last couple of weeks but just haven't had the time to watch it.

The auditions are my favorite part, but I think the producers stretched it a little too much this year with the best of and worst of show two weeks ago.

Only a handful of kids impressed me during the auditions.

El Chuxter
02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Really? The auditions bore me to tears. You can only make fun of insanely deluded losers so many times before it's old.

The performances last night were all mediocre. The only one that was passable was "What a Day for a Daydream," but hardly anything I'd vote for.

UKWildcat
02-20-2008, 02:25 PM
The best part about the auditions this year was We're Brothers Forever : "I am your brother! Your best friend for ever!" lol

Here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCqcd8IlNlo). Classic stuff! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
02-20-2008, 10:30 PM
The best part about the auditions this year was We're Brothers Forever : "I am your brother! Your best friend for ever!" lol

Here is a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCqcd8IlNlo). Classic stuff! :thumbsup:Dude, you suck. I finally got that song out of my head after a month and now its right back in there. Thanks, jerk.:thumbsup:

UKWildcat
02-20-2008, 11:07 PM
Right back at ya big guy. Glad I could be of service. :thumbsup:

Well, tonights show was underwhelming as well. I was expecting much better things from the gals, but the performances were much like the guys - lackluster. With that said, I still the the girls have a slight edge over the dudes.

My girl Kristy didn't do all that well tonight, but several others didn't either so I'm not worried about it.

dr_evazan22
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
That girl Kristy Lee Cook is so hot! She may end up being this years Kelly Pickler - advancing far into the show just on looks ( I don't quite remember how well she sang).

It might be a few shows before I really get the names down, but what's up with the rocker chicks hair? I like the basic style, with the dyed area in the front center (reminds me of X-men's Rogue), but it looks like she's wearing a wig, or has some kind of bump towards the back of her head.

The light skinned black girl (not Asia'h) did a nice job on the Joplin song, I thought. Cute too.

From the guys, I've been liking the guy from Australia... really liked his Bohemian Rhapsody.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Kristy Lee is one of the plants, as is (IIRC) the Australian dude. And definitely the Irish girl. Good or bad, I want them to lose. Their presence undermines everything the show supposedly is.

I thought last night was mediocre. They must be touting this as the best bunch ever hoping to fool us. There's no Kelly, no Taylor, no Melinda, even no Sanjaya.

Simon doesn't know "I'll Love You More Today Than Yesterday"? Really? And he thinks it sucks? How is he in the music biz?

And the girl who totally destroyed Aerosmith's version of "Baby Please Don't Go" (it's been done a million times, but only they did it that way) needs to be dragged into the street and shot. Period. She sucked. I'm not saying that simply because she ruined a great song. She just sucks.

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
I thought last night was mediocre. They must be touting this as the best bunch ever hoping to fool us. There's no Kelly, no Taylor, no Melinda, even no Sanjaya.

Actually, there are a couple of Sanjayas this year. Danny Noriega immediately comes to mind. Is it bad to wish harm upon somebody else? There are some others too I believe, I don't want to think about it though, kinda makes me ill.

That chick that went last, Carly, I didn't think she did all that great, but Randy Jackson absolutely loved her and thought it was the best ever. I found out why too. It has been brought to my attention that, "Randy Jackson was vice president in charge of A&R at MCA records during the time MCA spent over 2 million dollars promoting Carly's record."

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Carly's story is pretty pathetic. Apparently, her album sold 378 copies. That is not a typo.

As of a week or so ago, when I first read about this and looked on amazon.com, fully 10% of those (38 copies exactly) were available on Amazon for next to nothing. That's pretty sad.

Of course, if you've seen her music video from that album, you know why there were so few copies, and why the tiny number of people who got them don't want them anymore.

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Carly's story is pretty pathetic. Apparently, her album sold 378 copies. That is not a typo.

As of a week or so ago, when I first read about this and looked on amazon.com, fully 10% of those (38 copies exactly) were available on Amazon for next to nothing. That's pretty sad.

Of course, if you've seen her music video from that album, you know why there were so few copies, and why the tiny number of people who got them don't want them anymore.

Nope, hadn't heard her story before. That is rather sad though. Hadn't seen her video either. I don't really pay much attention to (or research ;)) any of the contestants, especially if I zero interest in them, I just hear things from siblings, the media and what not.

Also heard the same thing about Kristy, having a record out, and it is rumored that the story about her selling that horse is baloney, but I still love her! :love:

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I saw an article on Yahoo!'s main page, which referred to another story at votefortheworst.com. All the info is credible, and points to about half the people being plants.

The one guy who claims to have opened for Britney Spears, but left his group because he wanted to go in a more rock direction? He actually was her boyfriend at the time.

Another dude (Michael Johns?) was the lead singer for The Rising, which was signed to Maverick Records.

Another guy, who wisely dropped out, apparently actually had a Grammy (or at least a nomination, I can't recall) for a duet he did with Alicia Keys a few years ago!

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Jeez!!! I had no idea there were that many, and to that degree. Definitely takes away from what the show was and is all about, like you mentioned. This, coupled with the ability to play instruments, which doesn't really bother me anymore, really makes me think. Definitely not what it used to be.

UKWildcat
02-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Double post, yadda yadda, I know...

Not really surprised with the eliminations tonight. Dude that needed "some fresh air", LOL, he was bound to leave sooner rather than later. Colton, well, that is one less Sanjaya, even though he is from the VA. Would have definitely rather seen Noriega leave, for sure. I was a little surprised to see Amy leave. I was desperately wanting Amanda to get to boot, but those honors went to Joanne instead. Argh!

Most important thing: Kristy is still around. :D

UKWildcat
02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Last night was really weak. That Archuletta kid did do a good job, but that was about it. I still can't stand him though, as I mentioned before, it seems like he is going to have a panic attack after he sings and takes in the criticism.

The little back and forth between Simon and Dave Cook was funny; about the rules of the competition and what not. I liked Dave up until that part, but he didn't have to take the criticism that way and remind everyone that it is the audience that votes, not Simon. Simon's statements were completely right, as usual. Dave reluctantly shut up after that, for the better; he probably realized what he was doing (don't want to turn into one of those people). So I still think he is alright.

Hopefully the girls do better tonight. Kristy especially.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-27-2008, 06:33 PM
The "Killer Queen" performance was so bad that I shot my TV.

El Chuxter
02-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Yeah. It always bugs me when the contestants brutally rape and murder great songs, but don't get criticized because the judges don't know the song!

They b**** and moan so much about people getting the lyrics right, and then give them a free pass once the competition begins.

She doesn't keep money and Shondra in a pretty cabinet. She keeps Moet et Chandon in a pretty cabinet. That alone was enough reason for the guy to get voted off.

UKWildcat
02-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Oh my God. That was just horrendous. Ugh. Most talented group of people my a**. Pretty pathetic show all around.

That one chick, Alexandrea, butchered the hell out of Chicago's If You Leave Me Now, which was just inexcusable. She should be one to go after that horrific performance. Just awful. I couldn't believe what I was seeing/hearing.

Amanda Overmyer was no better. I can not stand her, and her performance tonight was horrid as well. She should be the other to go.

I thought Brooke and Kristy Lee both did pretty good. Nothing special, but a lot better than most of the others in comparison.

Just an awful night. I don't know how much more of this I can take. They guys are weak, the girls are weak. Its becoming painful to watch.

El Chuxter
02-28-2008, 09:49 AM
I was so underwhelmed by last week and Tuesday night, I didn't even bother. Worked around the house until Reno 911 came on.

dr_evazan22
02-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Voting Robbie off was a good move. Simon was right about him not seeming authentic. I think he'd do better going back to his boy-band ways and sing pop-carp.

Was surprised that The Bride of Frankenstein wasn't voted off. Her look was SOOOO bad!! She looked better in her video, wearing the doo-rag.

And Kristy Lee... OMG she is so HOT! She should wear some of that Tom Boy-wear on the show. She looks good in what they've been having her wear, but 10X better in real clothes. Maybe if she tries some country songs.

Last but not least, I thought Archuletta's "Imagine" was terrible, I don't understand why Simon liked it.

Tonysmo
02-28-2008, 11:57 PM
Voting Robbie off was a good move. Simon was right about him not seeming authentic. I think he'd do better going back to his boy-band ways and sing pop-carp.

Was surprised that The Bride of Frankenstein wasn't voted off. Her look was SOOOO bad!! She looked better in her video, wearing the doo-rag.

And Kristy Lee... OMG she is so HOT! She should wear some of that Tom Boy-wear on the show. She looks good in what they've been having her wear, but 10X better in real clothes. Maybe if she tries some country songs.

Last but not least, I thought Archuletta's "Imagine" was terrible, I don't understand why Simon liked it.

Heh You must be off your rocker good Dr :) Archuletta's performance was perfect. My god man he is what? 17?

Id much rather him in the top 5 than Noriega - whom I too think needs to die in a horrible neck accident. sooooooooooooo annoying...

cant believe Amy made it through either.. her performance was painful to watch.

dr_evazan22
02-29-2008, 12:18 AM
I've liked everything else that Archuletta has done, but this... It just didn't do it for me.

I don't like that Noriega kid either... He seems really smug, reminds me of a kid that thought he was going to make it to the top 24 but didn't. In terms of appearance, I think he looks like Jessica Alba's ugly younger sister.

Good to "see" ya 'Smo!

Tonysmo
02-29-2008, 12:35 AM
I've liked everything else that Archuletta has done, but this... It just didn't do it for me.

I don't like that Noriega kid either... He seems really smug, reminds me of a kid that thought he was going to make it to the top 24 but didn't. In terms of appearance, I think he looks like Jessica Alba's ugly younger sister.

Good to "see" ya 'Smo!

:)

maybe thats why I loathe him so much.. because he should indeed be singing with the chicks. he is totally a chick trapped in a boys body *shudder*

...the worst part about it.. is he isnt the worst singer.. :(

meh. Im a brooke fan. she should go far.

CaptainSolo1138
02-29-2008, 07:28 AM
My god man he is what? 17?
I hate that they have always brought age up on that show. Either you're a good singer or you're not. I don't care if you're only 17 and sing well for your age. While he is exceptional in this instance, I remember that Paris chick from a couple seasons ago. She was moderately decent, but when she had a bad week it was always chalked up to her young age. Either you've got it or you don't, regardless of your age.

JEDIpartner
02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
Danny Noriega makes me feel uncomfortable and I'M gay! LOL I really think David Archuletta is good. He really moved me with his restrained and beautiful reading of "Imagine". It seemed like all three Davids were good this week. The girls were a real let down. The ones who should've done well did terribly. What the heck is with Cruella de Ville making it through for another week??!! She sucked! She only hit about 5% of the notes she should've hit. Horrid!!!

Tonysmo
03-01-2008, 03:00 AM
Danny Noriega makes me feel uncomfortable and I'M gay! LOL I really think David Archuletta is good. He really moved me with his restrained and beautiful reading of "Imagine". It seemed like all three Davids were good this week. The girls were a real let down. The ones who should've done well did terribly. What the heck is with Cruella de Ville making it through for another week??!! She sucked! She only hit about 5% of the notes she should've hit. Horrid!!!

unfortunately thats Vote for the Worst at work for ya..

they know who in general sucks gas and they play apon that because they dispise the show - so the million + followers who have nothing better to do vote for these scrubs to continue to make those of us who do enjoy the show.... cringe each week..

If you hit the site, the front page is all about danny and amy. *sigh*

i dunno though.. as much as I hate danny - and Amy cant sing anything out ofher blues/rock style... it will be interesting to see the train wrecks ahead.

JEDIpartner
03-03-2008, 01:09 PM
This is true.

UKWildcat
03-03-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm assuming you are referring to Amanda. And yes, I absolutely can not stand her, as I've stressed before. She definitely needs to go, and her being on vote for the worst is really upsetting. :(

UKWildcat
03-05-2008, 08:47 PM
What's wrong with Paula? Is she mentally disabled? Drunk? On drugs again? What? She seemed fine during the start of this season, but she has rapidly gone downhill as of late. I didn't mind her before, but now is just painful watching her and listening to what she is saying, or trying to say because she struggles so hard to find words. Not to mention everything that comes out of her mouth makes no sense at all. Just awful.

CaptainSolo1138
03-05-2008, 08:59 PM
I've decided not to bother watching AI intil the top eight or even six. I've been so bored the last couple weeks that its no longer any fun to watch. I caught two performances tonight (on commercial breaks during the WIngs game) and they both sucked so bad. Even more surprising, all the judges had only minor complaints for them!

Tonysmo
03-07-2008, 05:37 AM
no posts after eleminations.. the American Idol crew has given up?

im glad danny is gone. I expected katy to go .. I expected the other dude to go.. I was a lil surprised that asia went over cook.. she did a much better job me thinks..

but now it turns into a decent competition, as opposed to a drama queen festival..

El Chuxter
03-07-2008, 12:59 PM
As long as the folks who had recording contracts remain, I'm not interested enough to care.

UKWildcat
03-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I'm rapidly loosing interest. The way Fox built up this season as "the best ever" and all that jazz, and then having most all of the contestants suck something awful feels just wrong, and deflating, and makes the show uninteresting. And then Paula, she is just horrible. I like Simon, his comments are practically the only reason I have the show on anymore.

I like Kristy Lee Cook, as I've mentioned numerous times before, but she isn't going to win. I think Michael Johns is okay, and that Jason fellow is alright too. I couldn't care less about anyone else (out of the top 12 and before that too).

I was glad to see Danny Noriega get the boot. Thank God! He was just awful. Amanda is atrocious as well, and she needs to get the boot real fast. I guess vote for the worst will primarily work for her now. :rolleyes:

But yeah, I've lost almost all interest in this show and I may very well stop watching altogether.

dr_evazan22
03-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I passed up the results show to watch Survivor. Just got caught up on AI by watching the results bioled down to 3 mins (which is all it should take). If there were any God-awful group sing alongs, I missed them, as well as the Ford 'commercial'.

Only thing worth noting is the good move of removing Danny Noriega. Saw something on line earlier that was wondering if he didn't make it because of homophobia.

General_Grievous
03-10-2008, 08:24 PM
You guys still watch this crap? :dead:

OC47150
03-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Not really. I haven't tuned in for weeks. I might now that the top 10 or 12 are picked.

On the other hand, this might be the year I skip Idol.

UKWildcat
03-10-2008, 10:34 PM
I've voiced my displeasure about this season before, and I'll do it again: This season sucks!

And to answer your question GG, Yes, I still kind of watch this crap, and I don't know why. My interest is severely diminishing though, and I will probably stop watching very soon.

General_Grievous
03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
I was also a bit unclear. By "you guys", I also meant AMERICA. Going on six years, same old stuff. Why do people bother to keep watching? Nobody watches "Survivor" anymore, and that was on top of the ratings for its first two seasons. When will "American Idol" die?

UKWildcat
03-11-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't think American Idol will ever die, it still pulls in nearly 26+ million viewers per episode every week, and all three shows are always on the top of the ratings chart (obviously, with numbers like those), crushing the competition.

UKWildcat
03-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Very weak show tonight, from what I listened. I was on the computer the whole time the show was on, the only performance I caught was Kristy Lee Cook's (for obvious reasons), and that was pretty bad. But not the worst. David Archuletta's performance was just horrible, probably the worst of all, just terrible, but he will not be leaving because of his following. It will be interesting to see who goes, I have no ideas, since there were sooo many bad performances tonight. I don't really care though, I'm to that point.

OC47150
03-15-2008, 01:35 PM
I caught a very small part of the results show the other night but did you hear that funny buzzing noise in the background? That was John Lennon spinning in his grave, thinking, these bloody Yanks are butchering my and Paul's songs! Someone stop them!!!

If I didn't know beforehand it was Beatles night, I wouldn't have guessed it. The kids slaughtered the songs.

Katherine McPhee did look good, though. ; )

JEDIpartner
03-17-2008, 12:53 PM
There were some interesting arrangements that I didn't mind. Seriously, you can only mine the traditional/original arrangement for so long. I'm glad that stripper boy left. I really didn't care for him or his singing. It was too "marshmallow creme" for me. Amanda needs to hit the bricks soon.

dr_evazan22
03-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Tonight, D Archuletta did a really nice job on "The Long And Winding Road", one of the better performances tonight. After him was Mike Johns "A Day In The Life". The judges weren't crazy about it, but I really liked it, for a condensed version. Maybe I just like his voice. He seems to do well with the classic rock songs.

CaptainSolo1138
03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
Tonight, D Archuletta did a really nice job on "The Long And Winding Road", one of the better performances tonight.That was one of the best thus far this season. I like him because he seems quite humble but not in the fake Melinda Doolittle sense.

After him was Mike Johns "A Day In The Life". The judges weren't crazy about it, but I really liked it, for a condensed version. Maybe I just like his voice. He seems to do well with the classic rock songs.That's one of my favorite Beatles songs and I, too, thought that it was better than he got credit for. He should've chosen a different song, though, due to how complicated it is.

Usually Simon's schtick means nothing to me, but I had a small issue with his rating of the Irish chick last night. He spent the entire night telling people their songs were "safe" and "boring" and "wallpaper" but then she does an incredible version of "Blackbird" and he calls it "indulgent". WTF do you want, man? Do you want them to be just average?:rolleyes:

And no one did "Helter Skelter".:mad:

JEDIpartner
03-19-2008, 10:13 AM
It was funny that, after last week's dismal reading of "We Can Work It Out", I told my partner that little David should've sung "The Long and Winding Road" as I thought it would suit his voice a whole lot better. Lo and behold, he got a chance to do it this week and I was RIGHT!!!

I thought Carly Smithson turned in a really good performance of "Blackbird", though I'm not certain any of us in the room understood Simon's remark about it being indulgent.

Mike Johns did all right. He still hasn't really wowed me at all yet. I'm still waiting to see why it was that Madonna's Maverick label signed him a few years ago before they got absorbed by Warner Brothers.

Syesha did a lot better than she had in the last several performances. I was really hoping for better things from her. I was disappointed by Brooke this week. I think the arrangement was too slow for her and she just didn't "get it". I really like her because she generally is a convincing vocalist and a good instrumentalist. Melonhead David did all right but it was pretty much a repeat performance of everything else he's already done. I had this issue with Chris Daughtry a couple years ago. He was good at what he did but it was always the same.

dr_evazan22
03-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Melonhead David did all right I think he looks smug quite a bit, especially when he has an instrument up there with him. My problem could be that I hate his hair; he's got this huge ***** forehead and does the 'comb foreward' to cover it. I think it looks terrible.

I didn't know Mike Johns was signed before. To me, he seems the most comfortable up there singing.

I hope that David A breaks out of his routine some... He seems to be singing the same type of song (or maybe he's just doing a really good job of picking songs that suit him). My problem is that he's 17, and I can already see him having a 50 year career in Vegas. While he sings the songs well - even really well, I don't believe them from him.

I think Kristy Lee needs to ... Heck, I don't know. It seems like she's trying to do well, like she's trying to live up to, or perform up to, someone else's expectations. She seems so much more relaxed in her video segments. Dress more relaxed, and just go outside and sing for yourself.

Finally, goodbye to the one trick pony, Bride of Frankenstien.

'Nuff said!

UKWildcat
03-20-2008, 11:29 AM
Didn't watch the show last night, or Tuesdays show either for that matter, but I'm glad to hear that Amanda was kicked off. :thumbsup:

dr_evazan22
03-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Tonights best...

1. David Cook's Billie Jean
2. Michael Johns We Will Rock You / We Are The Champions
10. Ramiele Malubay She seems more of a kid then David A

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-25-2008, 11:03 PM
11. David Cook's giant baby head

JEDIpartner
04-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Awww, man!! There is no doubt in my mind that Jason Castro needs to go. He was HORRIBLE last night. Definitely the worst of the bunch. Despite my crush on hippy-dippy Brooke, she'd be in the bottom as well. Sayesha really did well and showed some personality and style. She also looked hot. David Cook surprised me last night. He needed to show me that he could do something other than what he's done since day one. I was pleased. David Archuletta sounded good but his performance was unremarkable. Carly was fine as usual.

OC47150
04-24-2008, 08:35 PM
I haven't watched the show since the auditions but I try to read about it on the net. Just can't find the interest this year, and it's showing in the ratings, too.

Last year's Sanjaya fiasco hurt this show's credibility. And last night's eviction of Carly proves it, too.

El Chuxter
04-24-2008, 08:38 PM
I see Carly got voted out, meaning both of the most offensive plants are gone. Maybe I'll watch it now.

Or maybe not, since there's, what, three people left?

CaptainSolo1138
04-24-2008, 08:59 PM
Its soooooooooooooooo damn boring. Everyone knows li'l Archuletta (sp?) has all but been given the crown, so what's the point in watching an hour of people destroy otherwise fine songs followed by another hour of played out "...after the break!" nonsense?

I didn't watch the performances this week and all I saw of the results show was the last three minutes. I'm not sure what I did with the other 1:57, but I'm sure it was better spent.

DarkArtist
04-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I know the show is a popularity contest but I have to say America got it wrong last when they voted Carly off. I mean Jason Castro was just horrible and Brooke White forgetting the words, and the both of them are Safe ?????

Carly's and Seisha's performances blew away those 2. I'm sorry to say and I know I'll get flak for it but America Voted Wrong.

as of this moment I', not sure if I can watch the rest of the season if these two are always safe.

El Chuxter
04-24-2008, 11:02 PM
Carly and Michael were the reasons I wasn't watching this year. Mainly Carly. Sorry, if you have a major record deal, and Randy Jackson pours millions into promoting your album, and it sells 378 copies (no lie), I don't think it's fair to get a second chance on American Idol six years later.

You had your shot, and you blew it. And American Idol blew it by giving you a second shot.

UKWildcat
04-24-2008, 11:38 PM
I agree with what Chux has said, for the most part. I couldn't stand Carly and I was glad to see her get the boot. Her previous endeavors were pathetic at best. I must say though, I really did like Michael Johns, compared to most all of the other contestants.

And I will disagree with Cappy. I think this season is David Cooke's to lose, not Archuletta.

Anyways, I haven't been watching much the past few weeks. I was sad to see Kristy Lee Cook go, but I knew there wasn't a chance in hell that she was going to win.

And I still think it is laughable that they are/were claiming the best talent yet.... lol.... This season has sucked something fierce.

BTW - Can anyone tell me what Paula says week after week, song after song? Nothing she says makes sense. It is sad really. Whenever she is talking I want to throw sh*t at my TV or slit my wrists... thankfully I haven't went through with either.

Another thing that is sad is how the contestants couldn't care less about what Randy and Paula even have to say, the only judge they want to hear is Simon.

Ahhhh... whats the point. This show sucks!!!

JEDIpartner
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I know the show is a popularity contest but I have to say America got it wrong last when they voted Carly off. I mean Jason Castro was just horrible and Brooke White forgetting the words, and the both of them are Safe ?????

Carly's and Seisha's performances blew away those 2.

I agree with you. Carly getting the boot was a shock. Plant or not, she blew that crappy Jason Castro away. He struggled to hit notes that are NOT hard to hit. He has no lower register and no upper register. I think he can sing about 1 whole octave. Whoopee. ALW was clearly not impressed by him in any way shape or form.

While Archuletta is good, David Cook shows the most promise as an artist. He really needed to do something different than he had in previous weeks for me to really get on-board with him. This week proved that he is the real deal.

DarkArtist
04-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Carly and Michael were the reasons I wasn't watching this year. Mainly Carly. Sorry, if you have a major record deal, and Randy Jackson pours millions into promoting your album, and it sells 378 copies (no lie), I don't think it's fair to get a second chance on American Idol six years later.

You had your shot, and you blew it. And American Idol blew it by giving you a second shot.

i will say I was a big Carly fan but she had the better performance then Brooke or Jason. if you're constantly either screwing up or crying after the performance, or constantly singing the same tempo for every song, then you need the boot.

I truly believe that if either Brooke or Jason get CD deals they will bomb. I can already see Jason Castro's CD (if it gets released) sitting in Island Hotel Giftshops.

as far as Carly already having a CD deal, yes I believe that if you already had your shot and blew then she shouldn't have been given the second cahnce on Idol, but I will say that out of all the female vocals for the top 12 this year, she was the best.

El Chuxter
04-26-2008, 01:24 PM
That isn't saying much. This year is pretty weak.

UKWildcat
05-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Please tell me you all caught Paula this week critiquing Castro for two songs when he only sang one time. Aw, classic drunk and drugged up mental case. I'm officially done with this show.

OC47150
05-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Haven't watched in weeks but say the recaps and stuff.

It doesn't take much to get Paula confused, does it? :lipsrsealed:

I won't defend her but the judges shouldn't be allowed to see dress rehearsels, which take place about 2 hours before the show and which she saw.

The show's credibility has taken a real hit again. Ratings are down and long time fans, like myself, aren't watching this year. It just doesn't interest me.

JEDIpartner
05-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Damn... Jason Castro REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY sucks!!!!

DarkArtist
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Damn... Jason Castro REALLY REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY sucks!!!!

I've been saying that since the beginning of the season. the thing I don't understand is yes it's a popularity contest but how can america vote Carly off who has talent and keep Castro in who has no talent. those who voted for Castro must be tone-deaf

JEDIpartner
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
I'm feelin' ya, bro!! I want to vote him off, scratch his eyes out, pull his hair, make him sing his exit song and then set him on fire.

DarkArtist
05-08-2008, 07:07 AM
Finally Castro is gone. I think if he survived another round I might have stopped watching it all together.

CaptainSolo1138
05-08-2008, 07:34 AM
He was out of weed anyway. I'm sure he won't mind leaving.

Tonysmo
05-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Seisha's performances were... smo'kin. I mean.. like. DAAAMMMNNNN woman..

I think it would be awesome for her and cook to end up in the finale

I think cook will take it though..

archulivealittle just irks me.. he is .. a robot. somethings just not right..

JEDIpartner
05-08-2008, 01:21 PM
I like little David but he's shy, doesn't have much stage presence and needs some gunk in his throat or he's doomed to have a career just singing ballads. I mean... even Celine Dion can turn on the gravel from time to time!! LOL

Anyhow... Sayesha was fantastic this week. I'm glad she finally got some recognition. They've been so hard on her!

I can sleep now that Dreaddy Hemplington has finally been sent packing! Good riddance!!

Blue2th
05-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Seems to me David Cook is pretty good, but though he has a good high range, he always picks these songs where he has to sing low below his natural range, and sometimes hits an out of tune sour note because he's not good in the lower register.

I'm glad smooshy face and moon pie are gone now.

El Chuxter
05-08-2008, 03:36 PM
The few times I've seen it this season, Castro was the be--least worst. The whole lineup this season has blown.

JEDIpartner
05-08-2008, 04:16 PM
sometimes hits an out of tune sour note because he's not good in the lower register.

That's it right there!!!! I've commented about that at home when we've watched the performances. He doesn't have very good control of his lower register.

CaptainSolo1138
05-08-2008, 04:25 PM
The few times I've seen it this season, Castro was the be--least worst. The whole lineup this season has blown.
That's why I was surprised when people said he should go home this week. I haven't watched it in a few weeks and was surprised that everyone's opinion changed so quick. I guess. On the other hand, I don't really care. He'll get rich off of this.

UKWildcat
05-08-2008, 08:04 PM
I didn't watch the show, but I've been hearing where Castro purposely wanted to leave the show and was relieved when he was voted off. I also hear that is why he messed up his song, so he would get voted off.

Here is a little blip from Yahoo recapping last nights show - "Jason asks to be voted off, Ryan has trouble keeping up, and David is asked out on a date."

OC47150
07-09-2008, 09:03 PM
AI auditions for next season will be in my area (Louisville, KY) later this month.

Unfortunately, the auditions are going to be at the same site as an excellent sci-fi/horror convention I'm planning on attending. It means parking will be a mess. :sad:

Blue2th
07-09-2008, 11:10 PM
AI auditions for next season will be in my area (Louisville, KY) later this month.

Unfortunately, the auditions are going to be at the same site as an excellent sci-fi/horror convention I'm planning on attending. It means parking will be a mess. :sad:

They should have an "American Zombie" contest at the sci-fi horror convention then. :yes:

OC47150
07-22-2008, 09:52 PM
I mentioned previously that a convention I was attending was going to be in the same location as the Idol auditions. When I went, I prepared for the worst. There were no major problems at all...except for an auto accident at the main entrance.

The kids were corralled (that's the best way to describe it) through fencing and kept away from other people attending events there. There were foru events scheduled at the fairgrounds this weekend. Port-a-pots and food booths were set up for the kids. Supposedly, the kids were going to pump about $5 million into the local economy (hotels, restaurants, etc...)

The local media blew it way out of proportions. It was the lead story for the last couple of days on TV and in the paper.

Now here's the kicker: the kids who made the cut are invited back to a second round of auditions on Sept. 4 before the judges.